Author Topic: What Games are You Playing 2018?  (Read 35606 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are You Playing 2018?
« Reply #200 on: March 09, 2018, 06:28:18 AM »
FF15 Comrades:  Decided to finally get this now that I learned there's plot and it ties in with the Royal Pack's updates.

I originally was making Meepel's Cousin Darosel (anagram of "Lard" and "Eos"...yeah that's basically how I name all my characters these days), turns out the end result was...just Meepel in her Samurai outfit...which in turn works beautifully if you've been paying attention to Stormblood Abridged and know the story behind her!

Anyway, it seems mostly grindy for progression but I think what I appreciate the most is just the world building it does.  FF15 just kind of going "Ok, TIME SKIP!" after a point and us seeing only the after-math worked for a shock value but little else.  It's nice to actually see some of the stuff referenced in Chapter 14 as well as some of the lead up.  There's a certain kind of disturbing feeling you get going to areas you were visiting throughout, but now with a Post-Apocalyptic Doomsday filter on it.  It honestly feels like this is sort of what FF6's World of Ruin might look like if it ever got updated appropriate given where FF15's final chapter chapter takes place and how FF15's ending clearly wanted to take elements of FF6's "A World Reborn" feel in the final shots, using similar visuals with the rising sun over various parts of the world, seemingly restored.

Azure Striker Gunvolt: Reached the halfway point, so 3 bosses dead.  Game is actually a decent Mega Man clone thus far, with it's own identity on top of that.  I'd play more of it but things keep getting in the way because I'm stupid.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 09, 2018, 08:52:57 AM »
Ys 8: Basically 100% cleared
I’d have be so down with the final reward of solo mode, but there are several drawbacks that make me basically ot even consider it.
For the end I think the game loses its way a little by ramping up shit too much. All player ultimates are super evasive or have super good range, in return bosses become monstrously fast and the game throw dozens of regular enemies at once. It sort of turns into a Top 10 Anime Battle, which might look good, but in practice I’m just mashing buttons. Balance was already dead because of instant healing, but there was at least some finesse involved before.
I did love how the optional dungeon had only two save points and respawning bosses. Made meals shine for the first time.
Ricotta suddendly went from LVP by far to pretty good thanks to Dino Throw’s obscene range. My team has an actual sniper and his range is pathetic compared go the little girl throwing giant dinosaur bones.

Ys Origin: This is much more low key but I enjoy it a hell of a lot more
Mobility and dungeon exploration are perfect, I love the gameplay loop of initially struggling in a new area, then having an easier time after finding a few chests, then a boss.
The first couple bosses commited some eye rolling cardinal flaws,but every boss afterwards has been a joy. I like how quick, easy and powerful levelling is, so you can fuck up any bad boss with a 5 minutes grind. This does make the prospect of not levelling up for a good boss and retry dozens of times instead require immense abnegation (but it’s worth it)

I’m playing with Yunica who makes a good Yattaf: Girl, solo, hyper, has an axe, first letter is an Y. I just regret how nice she is. Hugo sounds ridiculous and I wonder how gameplay changes as a result.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 10, 2018, 12:00:55 PM »
FF8: Started up a new game, played for a couple hours. 75% of that time was Triple Tried.

I'm sure I'll have something more substantial to say eventually, but guys, that Biggs & Wedge card isn't going to win itself.

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 12, 2018, 01:57:39 AM »
Oooh.  As a level 5 card, if you fail to snag it before leaving Balamb for Galbadia, no one will play it for the rest of Disc 1.

Got Phantasy Star 2- Numan Revolution running.  Having access to the whole party from the start makes a difference for me and double Exp and cash helps speed up the pace.  Character balance changes help bring weaker ones closer to the power levels of Rolf and Rudo. (Shir, for example, learns high damage magic to go with her high speed and gains more TP to be able to cast them more than twice)  Otherwise, it still feels like Phantasy Star 2 but better.  No real reason to recommend it to anyone who dislikes the original though playing the original will feel like a chore after experiencing this.

Stat topic to come.

Being used to getting walloped by Neifirst, it was very satisfying to see a fully armored Rudo with Deban reduce the sword strike to a measly 25.  Was fortunate enough to have a Moon Dew without specifically grinding for it so I had Nei join in on the action.  Apparently, if Nei is alive at the end of the Neifirst battle, the game keeps playing "Movement" through the cutscene.  I was not aware this was a thing.

Also, taking a full team of squishies and getting lucky enough to clean out the Yellow Dam in one pass was a surprise.  With a team of Kain, Anna, Nei, and Amy, I fully expected a random to go sour at some point but the game showed mercy and only gave weaker formations.  (Mod comes with a code to replace someone with Nei until the next time the party reorganizes at Rolf's house so I kicked out Rolf to keep character EXP more even.)

« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 07:07:11 AM by DragonKnight Zero »

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 12, 2018, 09:57:49 AM »
Celeste: Just before C4

I wanna play as shadow me she was right
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 12, 2018, 11:14:29 AM »
Oooh.  As a level 5 card, if you fail to snag it before leaving Balamb for Galbadia, no one will play it for the rest of Disc 1.

It turns out that Kadowaki has a full collection of regular monster cards. Not coincidentally, I now do as well (except for Wendigo, which she stubbornly refuses to play a second time). I may be ready to start with the plot now.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 12, 2018, 01:27:42 PM »
Bayonetta - I bought Bayonetta 2 for the Switch and they hand you a free download code for the first game as well with it. I'm not used to running this game at mostly 60 FPS, guys.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #207 on: March 13, 2018, 06:02:44 AM »
I had to go look up this Numan Revolution thing.

The first thing I found was a review of it on what I can only assume is a hardcore Phantasy Star II (specifically 2) message board. The review praises all the hard work and rebalances, but tears into it for the story revisions.

The story revisions.

Of Phantasy Star II.

Someone cares enough about the story of Phantasy Star II to get offended that a hacker would try to improve it.

Oh. My. God.

Quotes:

So, I'm not that far in, and I'm already reminded of Yoshiyuki Tomino's statement in an interview that "Fans of anime should not make anime." Basically, people who are fanboyish about some things will be all about throwing in things they personally find cool without concerning themselves with how it fits in with good storytelling.

Basically, the only reason to play this hack is for the gameplay changes. I think it's nice in theory that there's a new story. But it's like Aero says: the way of fanboyism is pure madness.

I have to know how bad this new content is for people to care so much about PHANTASY STAR II PLOT.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 13, 2018, 01:50:06 PM »
Just let Super do it for you man.

Vermintide 2 -This is good and more Vermintide and people should know I liked Vermintide if they care about 4 player coop shooter games.

FFD2 - Into the after game.  Levelling the last (?) PC you get.  Plot got a bit silly, but I don't mind it to have more stuff in the game and it giving me more Sorgue plot.  Sorgue is great you guys.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 13, 2018, 02:17:43 PM »
Let's be fair, Djinn. Even for Phantasy Star II I would still trust the usual 98% Shit/2% Good ratio for fan content.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: March 14, 2018, 10:14:26 AM »
Ys Origin: Finished as Yunica, started as Hugo. They should have swapped personalities!! Refreshing to have such an arrogant bastard as the main. This also fits because he’s vastly superior.

Chrono Trigger: Ocean Palace. I really didn’t remeber CT being this easy. I am just dicking around all the time and face no danger, even at low levels and with constantly swapped members.
I tried doing the sand/forest sidequest ASAP (after the first visit to Zeal) and it was hard for CT but still manageable.
Double tech spam makes me appreciate Marle a bit more, she does no damage on her own but can be not dead weight when the team goes on the offensive. Frog meanwhile seems to only have crappy double techs, he can’t catch a break.
Twister is ridiculous and I’m struggling to not just spam this every battle including bosses. It worked on both GigaBastard and Dalton (who was 2HKOed)

Cutscene integration is bad for two reasons:
- Normal Crono is a slender, fast, katana wielding teenager. Cutscene Crono is a monstrosity with muscles that look like tumors. He’s more of a beefcake than Ayla which makes no sense
- No scene is cut in normal gameplay, cutscenes are added on top of it. Which means you always get to see the same thing twice, both in and out of cutscenes

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 14, 2018, 04:57:13 PM »
Chrono Trigger: Ocean Palace. I really didn’t remeber CT being this easy.

I think you actually said that on a replay for picking up boss stats ten years ago. Sometimes I'm scared of how much my memory clings to irrelevant minutia.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 14, 2018, 06:00:34 PM »
Oh no Snow, you are extremely scary

I just had the Crono revival scene, I really like how the characters in your party that matter to him the most will have a bigger role in the cutscene.

Trying the cutscene multiple times  you can deduce that, if I’m not mistaken, Crono preference goes Marle > Lucca > Frog > Robo > Ayla >>> Magus (weird that Ayla isn’t high)

I always like to play the scene with the characters who are the lowest on the list because they don’t even seem to care that much about reviving him. With Robo / Ayla / Magus you can sense that Robo takes the lead only because no one else does and somebody has to do it.  Obviously Crono also gets 0 hug that way. You expect Robo to give him a hug? Magus is always a staple for that part because he couldn’t give less of a fuck

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 15, 2018, 02:45:30 PM »
I really like how Magus' reaction to Crono being revived is "git gud" almost verbatim. And then he doesn't because half the endgame dungeons, including the Black Omen, make a mockery out of Lightning damage.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 02:47:12 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 17, 2018, 10:28:49 PM »
Ys Origin: Finished as Yunica, started as Hugo. They should have swapped personalities!! Refreshing to have such an arrogant bastard as the main. This also fits because he’s vastly superior.

Hugo's okaaaaaaay.  I much prefer Yunica.  Hugo never gets a big fuckoff phoenix blast that simultaneously obliterates and pushes enemies, and his version of i-frames is way lamer.  Certainly has an easier time in the early going, though.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 19, 2018, 02:20:50 AM »
Persona 5: "Is anime real y/n?"

"y."

"DENIED."

This is an introduction Star Ocean would envy. Two+ hours in and the game's still rolling through tutorials and declining to provide regular combat or control of more than one PC. Wow.

Anyway, what narrative content is in there looks encouraging so far. It's screamingly obvious there's gonna be tons of "KIDS! ADULTS! KIDS! ADULTS!" themeing in this one, but I'm feeling pretty okay with stringing up stupid and obtuse old people these days. And at least Silent Protagonist #6 has some actual background this time that looks actually relevant to the plot.

What kind of school includes plaid pants in its uniform? A school run by Principal Kingpin, apparently.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #216 on: March 19, 2018, 07:43:01 AM »
It really would be nice if there was a non-shitty adult SOMEWHERE in the first 50 or so hours of Persona 5.

You should keep a running tally on the number of unrealistically shitty things people do in Persona 5. Starting with the main character's parents basically disowning him for stopping a sexual assault.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 19, 2018, 11:18:19 AM »
Niijima seemed potentially okay-ish, but that might just be the "Good cap, fascist cop" effect talking. Regardless, game isn't subtle and I could see this becoming grating over dozens of hours of story. We shall find out in due time.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 19, 2018, 02:10:27 PM »
Bayonetta - I'm gonna do a second run through Chapter 2 so I can get something less awful than a Stone Statue for rank and then go for Chapter 3. I know I said this before, but Bayonetta at 60 FPS is a thing of -beauty-. It feels just so fluid and controls so well. The Switch does what PSthreendon't.

Dissidia Opera Floozy - Still going at it. Of note, I pulled Tidus' Brotherhood off an 11-pull and three Astral Blades for him off ticketspamming. Slash Combo is simply nuts.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 02:41:44 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 19, 2018, 03:01:18 PM »
Hugo never gets a big fuckoff phoenix blast that simultaneously obliterates and pushes enemies, and his version of i-frames is way lamer.

He gets a chippershredding, long-duration, near-half screen-wide fire laser that moves along with him instead, and his invinco shield is so much more abusable (blocks all attacks, for starters. Also blocks multiple moves and can even utterly trivialize some big called shots) than Yunica's melee-only, mostly randombusting-friendly wind circle. Playing as Yunica may be more entertaining and feel more impressive because her arsenal helps patch up her shortcomings pretty well, but Hugo sorta uh doesn't have those shortcomings to begin with. He's easy modo through and through.

This said, Ys Origin definitely took a course in the "making everything crazy good at base equals balance" school of design!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 03:07:47 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 19, 2018, 05:06:03 PM »
Hugo is by far the worst at dodging, and shields aren't always plausible to have up all the time.  It works out.

Cid: I've stated my differences with Djinn before on this, but it largely worked for me.  A good story requires a good conflict.  The classic problem with Persona mains is that they're way too sparkly special everyone-loves-them.  P5 brings this mildly into balance by having large numbers of people hate Our Hero, and even it still goes too far toward Joker hagiography at times.  So I'm happy that society is ready to bring down the beatdown on poor glasses boy.

Dragonknight: I Googled that PS2 hack for fun and see that one of the review comments thought that Shir was obviously the modders favorite character, as she turns out just the best.  I see that your stat topic has confirmed those suspicions.  (Also, why did games back then think differing XP gain rates by character makes a lick of sense?  Okay, old skool D&D did that too, but it was nonsense there as well.  Just trying to make level hard to use to compare by.) 

Also, does the hack give Nei back for endgame?  Seems a case of giving the audience their second helping of dessert without them eating their vegetables...  you can't give people what they want, because then it deletes the whole mild claim to fame that PS2 had to begin with.

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 20, 2018, 01:57:38 AM »
She's not selectable at Rolf's house, if that's what you're asking.  The hack provides a code to have Nei replace a member of the party until the next time the party reorganizes at Rolf's house.  Using it is 100% optional.  It's repeatable so Nei can join in whenever with a bit of extra effort.   It also requires an emulator with Game Genie functionality and I can't say if it will work on anything besides GENS.

By the way, the OTHER big plot twist (at the end of the game) has also been rewritten to be something less shocking.  Part of the fun of playing through is seeing all the changes but not everyone is going to feel the same about story changes.  I found the NPC dialogue to be more helpful overall.  It's better at providing hints at where to go in the stretch where it's not clear where the next dungeon is.  I use a guide and maps but the effort is appreciated anyways.  Hugh Mahlay and Anna Brangwim felt gratuitous though that has no impact beyond their introductions.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 08:13:33 AM by DragonKnight Zero »

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 20, 2018, 09:08:01 AM »
Trails of Cold Steel- Chapter 3 was so much fun. Felt like a beautiful, updated version of WA 3. Very enjoyable and well structured game so far (particularly in terms of creating and utilizing plot devices).
...into the nightfall.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 20, 2018, 03:42:50 PM »
Yeah, there really is a lot to like about ToCS1's presentation and structure. Curious what your take on the end will be.

Pokemon Platinum: kinda puttered out on FM4. Started this. I blame Andy and Andy alone. Chose Turtwig, cause WORLD TURTLE. Only gen I haven't played yet, so fight as well fill that gap while I'm in the mood. No theme this playthrough though.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 21, 2018, 01:12:20 AM »
Atelier Escha and Logy:

Started, playing as Escha because of the demands of a tyrannical 5 year old.

I like the item system limiting how many you can take on an expedition but also auto-refilling on return to town. That puts the emphasis on just making neat stuff rather than constantly having to worry about registering/buying items. The expedition system itself is neat, although I am a little confused by the "Fill up a gauge and select a random boon for the area you are in" piece.

Combat is more fun than other recent Atelier games I've played on account of assists featuring more heavily, as well as decent challenge being available. I tried one of the "Hopeless" fights in the earlygame and managed to barely come out on top.

Plotwise the game doesn't grab me as there isn't much conflict to be had. The characters are likable enough although I could stand for Logy to have more of a personality. The biggest trace of one so far has been some mild snark directed at Escha and Wilbell. Maybe the game will surprise me with likable characters or development.