Author Topic: Record Keeping Final Fantasy Record Keeper  (Read 148762 times)

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
Re: Record Keeping Final Fantasy Record Keeper
« Reply #2475 on: May 10, 2016, 02:35:33 PM »
I've thought about it, just a matter of finding someplace to fit it.

Currently running

Lenna (Curaja, Protectga) - heals
Kimahri (Magic Break, Armor Break) - medal conditions + lets me ignore meteor and ultima
Cloud (Firaga Strike, Lifesiphon) - dps
Gilgamesh (Banishing Strike, Saint's Cross) - wall user/regen breaker/help with dps
Zell (Punishing Palm, Lifesiphon) - dps

I could swap Kimahri with Selphie using Shellga and Haste... swapping magic break and armor break to cloud and Gilgamesh.  But I'd be taking more damage just to benefit from hasting Zell (Cloud hastes himself).

Other option is to get rid of Gilgamesh and swap in Zidane for another SSB user... but that's going to make the end phase dangerous with Regen up.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: May 10, 2016, 02:48:04 PM »
One idea could be Agrias/Nice Cecil running Banishing Strike + Haste instead of Gilgamesh. Less dps, but doesn't forgo it entirely and handles Regen as well. I'd suggest a Support in place of Kimahri if you can manage the scripted attacks, but that'd depend entirely on having at least R2 Full Break.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 03:00:31 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: May 11, 2016, 12:58:53 PM »
Beat the current segment of Palom/Porom's event, 3* Piece of Crap from 100 Gem Pull, Baigan is a dick, and Odin made me need to use a real team because of his defensive stats.

...then Odin dropped a Greater Summon Orb.  WEll, looks like I'm beating him up for a while!  He seems to drop Summon Orbs, Greater Summon Orbs, and Major Black Orbs.  Given how I seriously want to use Mage Meta, this seems like an ideal thing to do at the moment because Summon Orbs and all that.  Even normal summon orbs are useful because of Orb Conversion despite how I have R5 Ifrit, Shiva and Ramuh.  I want to get Bahamut at least to R3! ...I'm still a ways off from that, but hey, baby steps.

EDIT: Though I'll probably grind for Wind/Lightning Orbs since those are getting in high demand today, and the Gyshal Greens gotten should supplement for the Summon Orbs I wouldn't have gotten anyway.  Tomorrow, though, Odin dies a lot (White Orbs are not something I need, and I have plenty of Power Orbs to last me for a while.  Besides, there's 2 Power Orb dailies anyway, so restocking on them isn't hard.)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 01:56:40 PM by Meeplelard »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: May 11, 2016, 03:11:54 PM »
Beat the main course on Wundertwins event. FF4 content never fails to annoy, Baigan was as annoying as he was unthreatening. Whee, having the arms not self-destruct being a medal condition while the arms themselves have about half of Baigan's 100k HP. Odin, once again, raised his sword just in time to die from Edea's Thundaja.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2479 on: May 11, 2016, 03:18:50 PM »
JP: holy crap Multiplayer FFRK is awesome and I love it and as soon as they fix one or two bugs it'll be perfect!

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: May 11, 2016, 05:28:07 PM »
Beat the main course on Wundertwins event. FF4 content never fails to annoy, Baigan was as annoying as he was unthreatening. Whee, having the arms not self-destruct being a medal condition while the arms themselves have about half of Baigan's 100k HP. Odin, once again, raised his sword just in time to die from Edea's Thundaja.

In one of my multiple Odin-Grind runs, I actually had one where he never raised his sword once.  My team isn't exactly a DPS Machine because my FF4 Synergy isn't fantastic and Agrias isn't totally leveled up (using her because Saint Cross + Spellblade combo), so he lives plenty to do so. 

RNG based conditions on AI are basically the worst, Odin takes it to a new level because not only can he sometimes not raise his sword, he can also raise it at a point where your Thunder damage dealers are occupied (like charging a Soul Break or something).  Reminds me of Emperor's "Do not let him Starfall 5 times!" or whatever condition, which is awful because Starfall isn't scripted, so if the RNG says so, you can fail a condition despite doing everything else right.

But yeah, this event just further demonstrates how FF4 content is some of the worst in the game.   It doesn't help that this event hands us two of the least inspired PCs in the game: A pure Black mage and a pure white Mage.  Heck, Palom even has the same soul break as Vivi.

Actually, i should rant about Palom because he really is just a worse Vivi all things considered.  Here's all my issues with Palom because I just need to get him off my chest:

-As I said, he's a Vivi clone.  His stats are basically identical to Vivi, with the differences being negligible (it's similar to Terra vs. Ashe before Terra got her magic buff), he has the exact same equipment draw, and they even have the same default Soul Break.  There's clones, and then there's carbon copies.  Lulu and Edea are very similar to Vivi, sure, but at least they have some distinguishing features.  Palom is just another Vivi straight up.
-Adding to that, Palom is also from a worse realm than Vivi.  FF4 has Tuesdailies, to be fair, but otherwise?  It's got small number of dungeons that have ended, and there's only one event after this one based around FF4 (Yang's.)  FF9 has dungeon updates still left to come, and *3* events in the future, so he's worse than Vivi when you look at that.
-Using him in Tuesdailies seems sound until yo remember FF4 has four other characters with Black 5.  Of them, two of them are Sages, thus can do other stuff, Rydia has Summon 5 so more offensive options to work with (also Carbuncle), especially when looking at AoE, and Golbez has a uniquely tanky build for a Black Mage.  Basically, what I'm saying is even if you want two Black Mages, Rydia's almost as strong magically and can do more, and the other 3 are "good enough" while bringing more to the table.  Also FuSoYa has a beard puddle, we can't ignore that!
-Palom joins right after we just got Edea, a Black Mage in the same style, who has a niche in throwing weapons (thus another person to make use of Hope/Rinoa relics) and has access to Dark Zone+Memento Mori. 
-Vivi gets a pass too because he was introduced as like the 3rd character with Black 5 after Terra and Rinoa (Rydia didn't have Black 5 initially remember), and he's a storyline character, so he helps those with a smaller cast.  Palom is an event character who is the same as an early storyline character, I don't think there's anyone else in the game like that.
-His Soul Breaks are uninspired.  He only has his SSB which is just a Lightning/Non spell with no special perks.  By contrast, Edea had the same scenario with an Ice/Non move...but she also got a clone of Magic Infusion as a 2nd unique Soul Break, which is actually pretty cool.  Vivi's Soul Breaks aren't the most original, but he has multiple at least.  Palom's Dagger is kind of neat, but in practice the "it's a dagger" matters for all of Red XIII and some of the Ninjas I guess.

I could rant about Porom similarly because a lot of the same crap applies to her as Palom, but at least she has a cool SSB in Hastega+Curaga-level Medica.   Also she can use Bows, which isn't a common trait of White Mages; yes, I know, so can FF4's OTHER White Mage, but it's more than you can say for her brother. 

Now yes, I know that you can't do a lot with Palom, but I'm sure there was something you could do to make him stand out, even if it was simply fudging something like support 3 or some such.

Yes, that was completely pointless but I just wanted it off my chest.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2481 on: May 11, 2016, 06:07:41 PM »
I would have liked to have seen either of the Twins get something to represent their Twin magic. Maybe like an innate synergy-esque boost in any realm if you bring them together? Or perhaps have their default Soul Breaks be something like a status you target on one of your allies, and then whenever that ally attacks, Palom/Porom casts a weak spell alongside the attack for X turns without interrupting their other actions. That would possibly take too much programming, but it wouldn't be game-breaking and it'd be a neat effect that could have some niche uses.

More Multiplayer stuff: I got to play along with Key Tsang himself for a Core Run against Ultimate+ Ifrit... After 3 revives we finally pulled it off. Though honestly our second try went really well and only due to a few missteps that we had to go for more revives... Heaven help you if you enter that fight without SG though... dear god. No RWs, so you gotta hope someone brings it!

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: May 11, 2016, 06:28:54 PM »
I'm honestly expecting them to at some point create Combo Soul Breaks, which are soul breaks between two specific characters.  Palom/Porom are one such obvious example of that, as are Vivi and Steiner.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: May 11, 2016, 10:58:09 PM »
Multiplayer's out? I have some trolling to do

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: May 11, 2016, 11:03:51 PM »
It's on closed beta, if you didn't get an invite, you can't join the fun yet. Open beta will happen a few weeks from now.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: May 11, 2016, 11:43:46 PM »
I was gonna feign indignance at DJ getting an invite but not me, but then I remembered that my first literal thought was K GUYS TIME TO FUCK WITH PEOPLE

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: May 12, 2016, 12:24:59 AM »
Multiplayers seems to be RK's attempt at emulating FF14 Trials.  As in, the real 8 Man trials ala "Hard" level and higher.

...suppose it's fitting that near as I can tell, all the opponents are in fact from FF14.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: May 12, 2016, 12:36:09 AM »
All FF11 and FF14, which is indeed fitting given they're the series MMOs.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2488 on: May 12, 2016, 01:15:51 AM »
It wasn't so much an invite as a sign up. Everyone I know who clicked the sign up option while it was available got into the beta.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: May 12, 2016, 03:26:48 AM »
So is the multiplayer function like, "Pick a random person, hope you got a competent partner", or do you actually get to choose who you pal around with?

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2490 on: May 12, 2016, 03:42:55 AM »
Both are options.

Some initiates the challenge and become the Leader of the four-player/8-unit team. The leader is the only one who spends stamina (and gets the shot at a bonus award in addition to the battle's regular rewards). Other players can join the team by selecting from a small list of open invitation teams attempting the same battle. When 4 players all join in, the Leader starts the battle.

The Leader can also make a private room and assign a four digit code to said room. The Leader then just has to inform their friends of the number through some outside means and the nonleader teammates choose the "find specific room" option and type in the code. Now they are a team together.

Both options have worked well for me so far. Lots of fun with people you can directly communicate with. Would love to play with a room full of Keepers to shout RPG commands at each other. (Make this happen DLCon...)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: May 12, 2016, 02:09:44 PM »
The new FF2 Event sounds pretty amazing in terms of new stuff.  Here's what it gives:

-BSBs for Firion, Leon, Maria and Minwu. 
-Guy is a new character, not surprisingly based around Axes.  No clue on skillset yet, that'll be tomorrow!
-Gordon has another Attack + Magic boosting Soul Break.
-Firion can basically use every notable weapon besides guns now, getting Katanas, Fists, Hammers and Rods added to his list.  Also gets Samurai 5, and with his record Dive adding Support 4 and Spellblade 3, he's finally gained "Protagonist" status.  Also boost to several stats.
-Maria gets a magic boost and can use Swords; hey, Magic Swords are suddenly have another user!  Seeing as Ashe has a BSB coming around the corner, there's a good chance another Magic sword is on the way.
-Minwu has better mind and can use Shields...odd he couldn't before.
-Josef gets Support 4...wow, an actual niche over other Monks!
-Leon, Leila and Ricard get attack boosts, Leila also gets a speed boost probably pushing her to 5 Hit Thief's Raid now
-Gordon gets White 4, becoming basically the Support Equivalent of a Paladin, nifty!
-New Black Magic Spelltree confirmed to be added, expected to be the Stone series from FF14, thus a full tree Earth elemental spells, INCLUDING a Chain Stonega at 5*.  Rinoa's, and now Maria's, En-Earth suddenly serves a purpose.  Now we just need the Aero series to finally appear!

It's hard to get excited for FF2 events, but this event does basically fix a lot of FF2's cast problems, and adds a full spell-tree series.  Nifty really.

Also, Wedding Dress Yuna confirmed for a Wardrobe Record, which I think is the first character to get a 2nd Wardrobe Record, and Larsa confirmed as a new character from FF12 which isn't as surprising as people would think (he is kind of the most important Temp PC in FF12 and even appears in the sequel.)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 03:06:04 PM by Meeplelard »

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: May 12, 2016, 02:21:45 PM »
gonna be real looking at Firionel's buffs that almost puts him at Gilgamesh status for sheer versatility. Gordon also looks like a legitimately good option, especially if you have a relic, so hey it looks like VSM was just came prematurely
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 03:49:10 PM by Makkotah »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: May 12, 2016, 02:54:46 PM »
Too bad he won't get to enjoy it.

EDIT: Finally completed DU21's Classic dungeons. Level-capped Vincent, currently running Palom/Edea/Seifer/Penelo/Aerith for lulsies on content. Palom/Porom bonus battles also land tonight.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 03:08:34 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: May 12, 2016, 03:16:13 PM »
To be fair, Gordon's been a legit, if kind of unremarkable, PC ever since his buffs.  He worked as FF2's Support character, and the stats/equipment were passable enough.  He just didn't really have anything else going for him beyond some Soul Breaks (Goddess' Bell is pretty good because of the Heroic Harmony-style debuff that stacks with both Breakdowns and Full Break, for example), so you had no reason to use him unless you had Soul Breaks, and FF2 wasn't an area that got much attention, so this is a realm where characters REALLY need to stand out since you aren't using them for Synergy.

This event attempts to fix a lot of that I feel.
Firion's got sheer versatility now which helps a lot, especially post Record Dive, and Gordon's got a legitimately interesting unique build, so they're set.  Leon's one of the few Darkness 5 + Knight 5 combos in the game which is potent of because of Dark Bargain + Saint Cross (offhand, only Seifer, and Golbez can do that too?  Gabranth is only KNight 4 and Garland is oddly only Knight 3.  Of them, only Seifer really competes since Physical Golbez is clearly way worse than Leon at the same role) AND he has a decent equipment draw too.  Maria...well, now Serah's even LESS unique since Maria can use Swords and got a magic boost, meaning they both have the same skillset, and weapon set, just Maria is from a realm with 0 Black Mages besides her, Serah competes with the clearly superior Hope AND Raines (and to a lesser extent, Vanille who has good magic and Black 4, thus can field as a half-decent secondary Black Mage.)
Shields are no longer a joke equip, so Minwu being able to use them makes him a tankier White Mage, and his BSB seems pretty good.  Leila is a 5 hit Thief's Revenge user now, and does more damage; it's not unique but at least makes her appear competitive with other Thieves like Locke, Zidane, etc.  I think she can use Bows and probably now has higher attack than Faris, so there's that.  Josef is a Monk with Breakdowns, don't think we have that yet?  Also further emphasizes that Reddit had me facepalming when they tried to sell Yang as "one of the better Monks!" even though his stats are utterly standard and his moveset is clearly worse than most Monks. 

...sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: May 12, 2016, 03:24:33 PM »
Yda also has Support 4, so they share a niche in that (equip/stat-wise, she has better stats and swords, he has hammers, axes and shields). His selling point over her is the SSB, since AoE damage + 40% mHP healing is a really nifty toy for a dps unit. Regardless, getting Support 4 instantly slaps you into the higher echelon of monk tiers.

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: May 12, 2016, 05:03:42 PM »
Beat but didn't master the FF8 Ultimate, since Seifer decided to spam Zantetsuken Reverse until only Gilgamesh was still standing (and by "standing" I mean "mid-Ice Jump so hahahaha fuck you"). Even that took a ton of S/L so I'm probably just going to leave the ice orbs on the table. Seriously doubt Ultima Weapon will be possible without native hastega/wall, but I'll give it a shot. 1 stamina, after all.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: May 12, 2016, 05:16:56 PM »
Generally speaking, leaving Seifer for last is a bad idea and should only be done if you're melting faces regardless. Ultima Weapon actually isn't -that- bad, but yeah, you want native Hastega because it's a big dps race.

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: May 12, 2016, 05:27:46 PM »
The problem with not leaving Seifer for last was that once he hit 50% and started going nuts Fujin/Raijin would inevitably finish off whoever was left weak from his AOE, wall or no wall.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: May 12, 2016, 05:45:19 PM »
Yda also has Support 4, so they share a niche in that (equip/stat-wise, she has better stats and swords, he has hammers, axes and shields). His selling point over her is the SSB, since AoE damage + 40% mHP healing is a really nifty toy for a dps unit. Regardless, getting Support 4 instantly slaps you into the higher echelon of monk tiers.

Forgot Yda having Support 4, didn't have it on hand to check.  Still, it's a good enough niche that if you have a decent Soul Break for him, he can fit into a team.  Honestly, those two, Jecht (Darkness 5 and Swords), and Snow (Knight 5, also a rare character who can use every single armor class, something I think shared only by 4 other Non-Tyro characters offhand) seem like the only Monks worth a damn.  I guess you can argue a case for Refia since she's a Monk who can use a ranged weapon which is a niche too.  Yeah, there's cool soul breaks like Galuf's invincibility one, but that's too situational for me to consider.

Generally though Monks aren't very good, and you'll notice the ones I mentioned all really rely on some other skillset.