Author Topic: Futurama type tournament 2023  (Read 411 times)

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Futurama type tournament 2023
« on: March 11, 2023, 12:51:43 PM »
Godlike:

Altima (FFT) vs Rabbid Luigi (Mario Rabbids 1)
Yunalesca (FFX) vs Elc (AtL2)
Rhea (FE:TH) vs Sephiroth (FF7)
Rudo (Brig) vs Amon (Lufia 3)

Heavy:

Claude (TH) vs Margulis (XS2)
Rubino (Brig) vs Saki (SH2)
Fujin (FF8) vs Kain (TAY)
Hendrik (DQ11) vs Rei (BoF3)

Middle:

Cyrus (OT) vs Leo (Lunar:EBC)
Poco (AtL2) vs Karsh (CC)
Oengus (CoL) vs Amarant (FF9)
Dorothea (FETH) vs Tiamat (FF1)

Light:

Talia (Brig) vs Cecil (FF4)
Malak (FFT) vs Hubert (FE:TH)
Umaro (FF6) vs Flayn (FE:TH)
Menardi (GS) vs Emma (ACF)
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Futurama type tournament 2023
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2023, 01:10:13 PM »

Godlike:

Altima (FFT) vsRabbid Luigi (Mario Rabbids 1)- Altima is never winning with damage. She has to hit Grand Cross and can only do that every other turn due to super barrier. Lesse..Petrify and Frog are instant winners; sleep and berserk are problems if landed at the right spot. Confuse... from what I remember FFT AI loves to spam status curing in response to that so RL would probably  use super barrier after that which wouldn't help Altima a ton with follow ups. Slow is annoying but not super helpful. Slow/poison/darkness don't help. I was orignially going to vote for Altima because she can drag the fight out by teleporting out of the way of RL's draining, but I then remembered she is vunerable to don't move in game and thus I'm not inclined to give that argument any respect for that reason. All those are a lot of words to say I don't have a ton of respect for Altima and she's playing for a lucky status. I'm not inclined to give that to her though I'll listen to arguments.

Yunalesca (FFX) vs Elc (AtL2)- I have no idea but this seemed fun. Pyro?
Rudo (Brig) vs Amon (Lufia 3)- Weird fight. Amon 3 tends to eat PCs for breakfast between the speed, gross overkill damage and 100% confuse. But!  Amon eats a horrible OHKO to Clean Military Rule; Lufia 3 sinstrials are not tanky by any means. So Amon has to blitz, which he's good at! But Rudo is immune to the status and I think he's just durable enough to survive a Galactic Lance. So yeah he can't stop Rudo from getting a turn, which means bad things are going to happen.

Heavy:

Rubino (Brig) vs Saki (SH2)- Kneejerk of Rubino's damage and durability being enough. Seal is out since Rubino's a ruler.
Fujin (FF8) vs Kain (TAY)- Pain really gives Kain grief. I don't think he can deal with that or blitz Fujin down in time.
Hendrik (DQ11) vs Rei (BoF3)- No idea. Waiting for arguments.

Middle:

Cyrus (OT) vs Leo (Lunar:EBC)- Also unsure. Leo somehow doesn't 2HKO Cyrus but I think he goes first. Cyrus might be able to blitz here.
Poco (AtL2) vs Karsh (CC)- Also unsure. Karsh can put a lot of pressure on Poco's bad pdur, but Poco does have those buffs.

Light:

Talia (Brig) vs Cecil (FF4)-Think Cecil runs Talia out of MP. Talia's damage is being resisted some by Cecil and she can't poison him. Even with counters that's a lot of durability for her to go through.

Can't vote on the rest of light. Hay tide!
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2023, 08:59:56 PM »
Godlike:

Rhea (FE:TH) vs Sephiroth (FF7) - Hm, if Sephiroth is seen as fast enough to double he probably wins (unless you give an immobile srpg boss that stands on open terrain back row credit for whatever reason) and if he's not he probably loses and I likely buy the latter, Rhea isn't that slow.  (If Rhea weren't a 3x3 target I'd probably agree with Deen breaking the barrier in one go but since gambits are pretty limited I have a hard time going in for both that and completely denying support credit at the same time, and support credit would arguably put a 2HKO out of reach.)
Rudo (Brig) vs Amon (Lufia 3) - e: read calc wrong, Galactic Lancer does 1.37 PCHP set damage which Rudo doesn't survive.  There might be an argument otherwise but it involves messing around with Mousse/green SE and I'm not up for that.  Pity since Clean Military Rule would knock Amon into next week as noted.

Heavy:

Rubino (Brig) vs Saki (SH2) - Well if Rubino didn't 2HKO Saki at base he certainly does after that mild water weakness.

Middle:

Cyrus (OT) vs Leo (Lunar:EBC) - Maybe if I didn't see 8PT speed as being utterly DL useless Leo would have a shot here.  (Surely the Elemental Hat would put Cyrus over the top regardless)
Poco (AtL2) vs Karsh (CC) - Strong kneejerk.
Dorothea (FETH) vs Tiamat (FF1) - The not-good form of Tiamat.

Light:

Talia (Brig) vs Cecil (FF4) - Uh Talia winning this seems like it depends on not seeing orbs as getting in the way and I'm not completely sure how I feel about that.
Malak (FFT) vs Hubert (FE:TH) - Oh cripes.  Malak probably takes this one to me, Hubert's offense is just going to be utterly wretched enough that stick beats carry the day, counters be damned.
Umaro (FF6) vs Flayn (FE:TH)  - I suppose I can relent on the Caduceus issue despite it making me really unhappy.  She... probably does need this however.

Rest later.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 07:19:59 PM by Random Consonant »

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2023, 05:21:19 PM »
Godlike:

Altima (FFT) vs Rabbid Luigi (Mario Rabbids 1): I think she statuses him out in a window where he isn't immune.
Yunalesca (FFX) vs Elc (AtL2): Regen spoils him for form 3 I think.
Rudo (Brig) vs Amon (Lufia 3): Ignores defense on the OHKO.

Heavy:
Hendrik (DQ11) vs Rei (BoF3): Death is unlikely to hit since Hendrik resists it by 50% here... but Rei is getting EX turns. Gonna go with Rei.

Middle:

Light:

Menardi (GS) vs Emma (ACF)

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2023, 02:30:19 AM »
Godlike:

Altima (FFT) vs Rabbid Luigi (Mario Rabbids 1) - going to bet on Grand Cross here, honestly.
Rhea (FE:TH) vs Sephiroth (FF7) - from looking at the stat topic on Rhea...yeah.  FE countering means Sephy's speed works against him, and even with Wall opening to double his lifespan, his pattern means that he'll take three hits in the time it would take him to delete a lifebar or two, and then a fourth one after that, not even counting that Miracle is likely to preserve one of those.  And then he proceeds to waste three more turns on flying, Pale Horse and Supernova, which accomplish next to nothing.  He really hates that I hold him to pattern.

Heavy:

Middle:

Cyrus (OT) vs Leo (Lunar:EBC) - Both run on TB speed (and Leo is less slow than Cyrus), Leo 3HKOs Cyrus' terrible durability, and by the best-case interp and spread for Cyrus, he misses the 2HKO by hundredths of a PCHP before Soul Blade's pseudo-parasitic healing.
Dorothea (FETH) vs Tiamat (FF1) - Going to have to think on this one.  Tiamat does hit Dorothea's good defense, but also dodges counters.  On the other hand, Dorothea doubles with most weapons, but either hits resistance or PDEF...hard to say.

Light:

Malak (FFT) vs Hubert (FE:TH) - oh god the mdef is real.
Umaro (FF6) vs Flayn (FE:TH) - Quick analysis of this utter shitshow; Umaro goes second and 3HKOs at base despite Flayn's laughably bad durability.  If allowed Caduceus, Flayn's regen is too much to break.  If not...Nos may still make up the difference?  I'll defer to others but Flayn outlasting with regen or Regen+Nos feels like my gut check.  Umaro's damage is actually really bad from what I'm seeing here.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 03:49:03 AM by 074 »
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2023, 06:25:24 AM »
Still need to get around to Silver Snow someday I suppose, but...  probably. 

Heavy:

Claude's damage is hurt by not doubling (Margulis is reasonably speedy himself) but Close Counter means he's getting in counterattacks anyway.  Also, Margulis has weak Pierce resistance = Momo's arrows?  Yeah, think Claude can chew down Margulis's HP before he can build up to dangerous stock.
I don't know Rei well enough to vote, but as a note, there is some instant death resistance accessories for sale in Act 2 for those who care.  (25% resist per accessory rather than the 50% resist in an Act 3 interp, but two accessory slots.)  Holy Talisman for Act 2, Skull Ring or Elfin Ring for Act 3.

Middle:

Leo has slightly below-average damage which means he doesn't 2HKO Cyrus even without Vim & Vigor in play.  With V&V regen afoot, Leo's damage just isn't happening.
No ID resistance for FF9, so I don't think Amarant's stall game works here vs. Oengus's ID chance.  Well, he can revive off Auto-Life, but meh at hyping that up too much.
I suspect that if Levin Sword is seen as non-elemental, e.g. FF1 NUKE, then Dorothea takes this, but probably not if seen as Lightning.  In the context of FF1, I'd be more inclined to say it's Lightning, FF1 non-elemental spells are rare in a way that 3H Levin Sword isn't.
EDIT: But Silver Sword Hexblade, eh, I guess that'd work for being non-elemental.

Light:

Cecil surely can't be THIS bad.
EDIT: I'll grudgingly buy Elf's hype.
EDIT: Right, 31 Faith.  I was thinking Malak can't resist both Ice & Dark at the same time but I guess it doesn't matter.
I don't like voting on Umaro much because he really needs his own personal damage average to reflect his situation in-game where he's competing against others casting Fire3 with 2x Hero Rings or the like.  Anyway, Flayn deals wind damage which Umaro doesn't resist, so inclined to give it to her.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 04:57:33 AM by SnowFire »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2023, 06:33:28 AM »
Godlike:

Altima (FFT) vs Rabbid Luigi (Mario Rabbids 1):This doesn't seem that close? Petrify/frog/sleep all win the match instantly, that's turn 2 for Grand Cross at worst. Even slow/berserk are pretty devastating, so arguably we're talking turn 1. But even at turn 2, and even nulling it every other turn, RL damage isn't outracing that.
Rhea (FE:TH) vs Sephiroth (FF7): Not a huge amount of respect for Rhea against multitarget. One use of Deen blows up all the barriers at once, Rhea loses a turn to stun, and then Sephiroth probably kills her in two more attacks.

Heavy:

Claude (TH) vs Margulis (XS2): This is a shockingly easy matchup for Claude. Piercing physicals are Margulis's bane (he only has 1.8 PCHP against them or so, is this still Xenosaga 2?), and I doubt Margulis's 122% speed is enough to keep Claude from quadding him. Toss a Fallen Star in and Claude is taking two hits during this fight at most.
Rubino (Brig) vs Saki (SH2): 2HKOs with Fall Berg, can survive Energy Charge, is immune to Seal. Great matchup for Rubino.
Fujin (FF8) vs Kain (TAY): Fujin is squishy but not "dies to averagish damage" squishy. Blind and confuse are both deadly here, and Kain can't block both.
Hendrik (DQ11) vs Rei (BoF3): Hendrik reduces Death to turn 5-6 or so (depending on how death resistance accessories stack) but it still lands before Hendrik's third turn, and I don't think he can 2HKO? Open to arguments.

Middle:

Cyrus (OT) vs Leo (Lunar:EBC): Definitely kneejerk Cyrus as the faster one on the grounds the Octopath speed barely matters. Still... think Leo might have this. Cyrus's best strategy is to use Fire Storm, Fire Storm, 3 BP Fire Storm (or similar). This is a lot of damage... except the final attack is "only" about PCHP (i.e. Leo lives) and the first two are about a quarter of PCHP, so Leo just heals them off with Soul Blade. Leo has about 1.1 mdur, so with Soul Blade's healing him twice that rises to ~1.54, and Cyrus only does 152% magic damage total. Close.
Oengus (CoL) vs Amarant (FF9): The creeping chances of death and turn knockback (the latter just wards off any doubles, granted) mean Amarant can't win a super-long fight, and a quick win is also out against Oengus pdur.
Dorothea (FETH) vs Tiamat (FF1): They're in opposite sides of Middle, but everything about this match lines up to favour Dorothea (her mdur, Tiamat's non-elemental mdur). Tiamat wins on turn 4 (43% damage, but Dorothea regens 20% after each one). Dorothea kills with three Hexblades.

Light:

Difficult fight, but the result is actually quite clear. Talia does 35% with Heavenly Sacrifice (can use 20 times) and heals 12%, at base. Cecil pdur makes this 22% damage and 9.5% healing. Meanwhile, Cecil does 27% to average which is 22% to Talia. Talia counters for 21%. Cecil can heal for 26% of his HP, 25 times. Talia goes first but I figure they never double each other thereafter.

If Talia is uninjured she's using her basic physical to 5HKO. If Cecil tries to stick damage she drains instead, and there's no way Cecil can kill her until she runs out of MP (i.e. she uses the draining attack 20 times). Cecil can try to gain momentum by healing, which DOES outpace Talia's damage... except that this is lost whenever he attacks himself, because Talia counters him. I'm just not seeing where Cecil makes any meaningful headway to start cutting through Talia's MP.

Malak (FFT) vs Hubert (FE:TH): SUPER WHY. Hubert damage is just going to be utterly anemic here.
Umaro (FF6) vs Flayn (FE:TH): oh god. Okay, so, by my calculations, Flayn BARELY avoids being doubled if she equips Wind + Caduceus. And... that's the fight, really. Umaro should do high 3HKO but Flayn's 50% regen offsets that. If she were being doubled, Umaro would take this for sure.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 06:20:42 PM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2023, 07:18:25 PM »
Godlike:

Altima (FFT) vs Rabbid Luigi (Mario Rabbids 1)
Rudo (Brig) vs Amon (Lufia 3) - L3 Sinistrals are still weak to holy, aren't they?

Heavy:

Middle:

Light: