Author Topic: DL Also Stands for Dream Log  (Read 44626 times)

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
DL Also Stands for Dream Log
« on: May 16, 2008, 11:34:40 PM »
Cid and I decided it was time to have a dream topic, because apparently people on medication have pretty whacked-out crazy dreams. So now, if you have a dream and don't mind being psychoanalyzed by the DL in general, you may post it here.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So I had at least three or four separate dreams last night. The thing is, they feel really disjointed, so it's hard for me to remember some of them. Part of why I'm forming this topic is so I can remember these things a little better, but I digress.

It's very strange. I remember one where I was wearing a pulley around my shoulders. It wasn't restricting me or anything, it was open and lying across so the weight was evenly distributed. I think this was connected with the dream before it, but it felt like its own thing. I was running up these god-awfully engineered stairs, because dream engineering is god-awful. These things were like, super thin, winding, twisting, and happily were in the middle of whatever floors they held together. There was no room or alcove or whatever for the stairs. They just sort of haphazardly cut through floors of the building any which way. Sometimes in the hallway, sometimes in a room, no matter what type of room.

So I'm wearing this pulley. I get the idea that I'm supposed to be talking to someone, but I cease to know why I'm wearing this pulley. It has nothing to do with who I'm trying to talk to. (My dreams are really awkwardly crammed together most of the time. So sometimes something from a previous dream will be sort of held-over) I am running up and down these stairs that are cutting through hallways and offices and bathrooms and odd poorly lit rooms that seemed to bother me.

There are other people in this stair-maze with me, and I know I'm not supposed to let them see me, and certainly not with the pulley, but I'm brazen about it. I think "They'll notice me, but if I conduct myself just so, they'll forget about me, even with the pulley. I'm fine".  This whole sequence lasts way longer than it should, and eventually, I give up trying to find whoever it is I was supposed to talk to, and I jettison the pulley onto a local spot on the railing.

(Fake edit: Again, this topic is to hopefully get to where I don't just forget these things instantly like I usually do. This one was fading fast even as I was typing it out. I'm not even sure it was a pulley. It seems more like one of those things that's a couple of heavy metal hooks on either end of a strap. You could certainly make it INTO a pulley, but this lacked the pulley part.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I had another dream in here that completely faded when I was talking about the pulley story. Now I can only remember that at least two people got killed by.... robots? Not humans, certainly. The humans were trying to get away from them to freedom, and had to go through a stair-maze like the last dream. (These two transitioned seamlessly. At some point after I lost the hooks, I ceased existing in my dream, and these random people took over. It was more cinematic, here.) The stair-maze was a lot more menacing in this dream, complete with trap rooms that filled with water, and heavy bits of machinery that seemed to serve no fucking purpose except to crush people who took a wrong turn in the stair-maze.

Again, bits are fading, here. The humans didn't get out. The robot-thingies gunned them down and the dream ended when they shot a cute blond woman in the head.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The last dream of the night, I remember a bit more vividly. I was in this weird mall thing that likes to pop up in my dreams a lot. Anyhow, the people I was with were being dicks, so I decided to leave them and play my favorite arcade-style game in the mall.

For some reason, there were arcade machines placed around the mall, and they were in little uncomfortable glass booths. They didn't seem to be large enough to give you the movement you needed to play in, but people still used 'em.

I was a little pissed off that these two girls decided to show up and take the machine that I wanted to play, but I wasn't going to let either their playing already or the uncomfortable booths stop me from having my game. It was that or go back to the assholes I was with. So I crammed myself in the far corner of this booth, which seemed a lot more roomy once I was inside of it, and turned on the game.

I have no idea what the fuck this game was supposed to be. Somehow, it had a way of recognizing who was playing it, but I don't remember giving it a disk, or entering a password, so it must have been something the dream conveniently left out. I -do- know that characters had levels.  The guy I was controlling was level 5, and the girls were each playing a level 10 character, and the one even had to pick between two level 10s. They seemed hardcore.

Anyhow, for some reason it upped the difficulty based on who was playing it, which meant everything was geared for two level tens and a level five.  The girls went off one path and did their own thing, and I was running my guy across this big ledge, pretty well easing my way through the level, despite being horribly, horribly underlevelled for a game with these two girls.

Everything was fine and jim-dandy until the boss of the level decided to show up. It was this big spider-mech thing that decided it wanted none of the girls and would fight only me and me alone. So I'm fighting this enormous fucking boss that's like, fifteen levels too high for me, and I seem to be winning. But when I knock it down to half health, it starts going insane, and I realize there's no way I can beat it alone. I look to see what the two girls are doing, and they're dinking around with the riff-raff enemies, completely oblivious that there's a giant spider-mech thing that's having its way with me. I scream at them to "Help me!" but eventually my guy dies and I leave the booth in disgust. I felt impressed I could hang with a boss that much higher than myself, but I really wanted to beat it, too.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's all the dreams I remember from last night. That last one probably looks really weird if you go Freudian. Sorry the writing is disjointed or whatever, but I'm basically racing against time to get them out before I forget. It's very stream-of-consciousness. Or unconsciousness. One of those.

Anyhow, filfre to post your own dreams. Even if they're boring or whatever. Let's see if writing about dreams does.... uh... anything. Maybe we'll amuse each other. Whatever.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: DL Also Stands for Dream Log
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 11:57:24 PM »
I dream pretty constantly but can almost never remember anything but fragments, though it's gotten easier of late to remember. I almost never have pleasant dreams, they're either nightmares or I'm trying to escape something.  I don't think I've had an outright 'good' dream in a long time.

The one I've had more than a few times in the past month is me running from my house when it's raining. The dream always ends with me being spun around and having my hand eaten by a demonic figure, always female. What makes me remember this is that I always start the dream off with the ability to hover and move that way, and about midway the attack starts. Getting your hand eaten really fucking hurts, by the way.  I slip into another dream after that point or wake up.

When I wake up mid-dream from a non nightmare, I get the strangest feeling of slipping from another.. universe? Dimension? To another.  Like.. "Woah, that wasn't real?" Nothing to it, but it's cool.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 12:03:37 AM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 12:17:14 AM »
Dream Analysis is probably the part of Psychoanalysis that seemed the hardest to me.  It eh I dunno how powerful a tool it really is, if you don't know the subject very well then you are not going to be able to draw great conclusions from them I think.  I do kind of think there is a route to the subconcious mind (the fact that I consider there to be one is a bit passe really), but considering the degree of which you need to know the subject for them to be effective, well you kind of need to know the things that are up with the subject anyway, so its uses for actual clinical disorders seems a bit limited.  Edit - Oh yeah and I forgot to actually say the whole thing is a bit to hard for me to even consider trying.  Dream analysis is like playing pictionary in the dark.

Freud owns you and me by a long shot.

So yeah since I can't do it assume any further posts I make in this topic are jokes.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 12:32:14 AM »
Oh ... you have NO idea what you have just let yourself in for. Abandon hope all ye who enter here! Etc.

Ok first the two DL people related dreams that I remember.

*1 - This was quite a while ago now and a lot of it has faded. A lot happened but I can't remember most of it. All I remember is Super, Meep and OK were in it (yes I'd never seen them before in r/l but all I know here is that they had dream bodies and they just were who they were) and Meep was doing a Meep rant ... about FISH of all things. I have no idea why but there was some water feature and everything and fish in it. One was floating to the top. Maybe it was dead or something. I dunno. I think Meep was talking about which fish were good to eat and tasted good o_o Then we all went outside and there was a shopping mall but dead old fashioned and quaint like. Kind of like a winter palace. Which fitted because there was snow. Everyone was throwing snowballs and stuff and me, super and OK were running around. I was getting chased. Then stuff happened, and in the end it went into something about spheres showing past lives, future lives and parallel worlds.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 12:33:58 AM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 04:54:45 AM »
Gefilte fish most likely.

My dreams are generally action-adventure type things, like Indiana Jones.  Or where I'm fighting monsters like werewolves and shit.  I kick a lot of ass in my dreams.  O_o

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 11:05:28 AM »
I drink a lot before I go to bed. I don't generally have good dreams, so I don't like having them. I did, on Tuesday, however, have a dream involving me CHAOS DUNKING like a million people and one giant nine-headed dog made out of green lava and ten-foot-long fangs.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 03:41:30 PM »
On the other hand, alcohol induced dreams are second only to fever dreams in terms of awesomeness, usually, for me.

AAA

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 11:51:11 PM »
I only remember my dreams about once a month at best, usually only because they're weird.

The creepiest one was a few years ago. I dreamed I woke up and went to the kitchen to eat breakfast, like usual, but then I for some reason walked to the end of the table and starting itching my hand. The skin broke away like it was paper and I ended up tearing a huge hole in it, which is when I found out that there were bugs crawling around inside my skin. Like cockroaches, except way bigger and they were completely transparent. I wake up as I'm digging through them trying to figure out where my bones went. I don't know what the hell caused that.
Don't think of it as a novel. Think of it as a chance to retroactively win every argument you have ever walked away from.

Felpoolian

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 12:04:18 AM »
I never seem to remember most of my dreams. But they sometimes seem to involve me in worlds of conflict. Probably more based on an anime I saw recently. Has there been one that anybody has had this in?

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2008, 12:07:03 PM »
... ok last night I dreamt that Nei was a little boy, was in battle as part of my team and my team was getting completely and utterly owned in Neph's dungeon. What.

Kind of funny dream at the weekend. The group was all out for a night at the town, partying at clubs and such. Dancing! However Trance and Otter were dubbed too young to get into the club by the bouncer so they had to stay out on the street. They kept on trying to sneak into the club without success. Finally they decided to set up their own party in the street. So they had drinks and whatnot around a bonefire. I thought the bonfire was nifty so spent my time dancing between the two groups.

Oh dear god AAA. That reminds me of a really creepy dream I was once had when I was young where there was popcorn trees growing in my bed. Messy little pieces of popcorn had taken root in my bed and had taken root and were sprouting. I could see all the roots and everything like veins ... green furry stuff taking over my bed. It was just weird. Then there was the time I thought there was a snake in my bed. Screamed the bloody house down.
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2008, 01:41:36 PM »
I rarely have dreams, and often, they're *really cool* and pseudo-controlled if I occasionally do(Lucid dreaming, I believe the term is?). Like when I dream spliced like four RPGs together and was playing it. (My definition of "really cool" may be loose, I found the dreams where I was playing Tetris Attack cool, though.)

Sadly, I don't remember much about them most times, and remembering them at all(or having them, but bla bla been repeatedly told we have them and forget.) isn't common.

I think my most recent(/recent recalled) dream involved someone trying to make me eat crabs or something, it was a nightmare. (I guess I am a rather hardcore vegetarian if it is nightmarish to dream of eating meat for me, thinking on it.) No hard guess to figure out where that stems from, as mom usually eats them every time we go to a specific restaraunt, so.
<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

Taishyr

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2008, 01:51:22 PM »
The dreams I remember involve me punching the lights out of people with chainsaws.

Oh, and often there are pitchblack jungles and/or biomechanical cities at random.

I haven't been trying to remember dreams lately, mainly because they've just kinda been rage as far as I remember.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 07:46:26 PM »
Debated posting this one, since only Rob would get it... but since I rarely see him on AIM...

My view of Battletech was forever changed last night. I've been rereading the entire series since I'm bored at work, and it culminated in a fairly basic dream.

Victor and Omi's wedding. Nothing crazy happens, so simple enough, right? (Despite the obvious flaw there). Why I'll never be able to look at the series the same again? The last thing I remember happening in it:

Agent Curatis singing Total Eclipse of the Heart ala Will Ferrill in Old School.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 08:53:35 PM »
I think my most recent(/recent recalled) dream involved someone trying to make me eat crabs or something, it was a nightmare. (I guess I am a rather hardcore vegetarian if it is nightmarish to dream of eating meat for me, thinking on it.) No hard guess to figure out where that stems from, as mom usually eats them every time we go to a specific restaraunt, so.

I've had dreams kinda like this before. Either someone trying to force me to eat seafood(usually lobster), or trying to trick me into it. These dreams usually end with me waking up expecting to find myself in the ER.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 10:52:11 PM »
Man. Posting this topic was the smartest thing I ever did. I finally stopped dreaming.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 11:08:16 PM »
Yeah, odd for me too. I haven't stopped dreaming, but I nearly always remember them. But last night's dream was the first I remember in any length since the topic opened.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 11:33:01 PM »
I posted in Good Morning a few days ago and haven't had anything comparably memorable since then. I do recall my dreams pretty regularly, though, and they're always that strange (even when I'm not on medication--if anything, it's only increased the frequency with which I remember them).

The actual contents of my dreams have never borne any relation to the normal circumstances of my life, and despite the strangeness I almost never have anything I would actually define as nightmares (though I did wake up screaming a couple nights ago for reasons I can't now recall. That was a bit worrisome and, if previous misadventures with prescribed pharmaceuticals are any indication, means my dosage is probably too high). This is why I find it interesting to start discussions on the subject. Not because I hold that analyzing dreams gives any serious insight into the inner workings of someone's mind (like Grefter, I lack any basis for having an opinion on that either way); it's just interesting to see how bloody different everyone is. Like, my brother might relate something almost entirely rooted in everyday experience and his social life, perhaps with a few things jumbled or exaggerated, and I can only marvel that people have dreams that prosaic. I never have.

I maintain that the best dreams are the ones where I can fly, or at least float (had one last night! It's just too much fun). I almost never have dreams in which I am in fear of suffering harm (which is not to say I do not have dreams in which I am clearly in danger--I do sometimes, but genuine fear rarely enters the picture for some reason) and can recall only one in which I died. That was in elementary school, and based on The Terminator. Anybody else have one of those dreams where everyone else runs at normal speed, but for some reason you move in slow motion? I hate when that happens, and this one was a particularly bad time for it. This was also the only time I can actually remember a dream repeating (it started over immediately thereafter and ran straight through a second time. Needless to say, it wasn't any more fun knowing what was going to happen).

Reading through this topic, I have to say that the scariest thing is seeing that we've been absorbed into Clear Tranquil's subconscious.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 09:14:40 AM »
I've been too stressed or unrested to dream for the past few months.  I did have one lucid dream (that I remembered) fairly recently,  but it was kind of lame--I was aware that I was in a dream and I had no effect on what was going on.  It was a strange mirror to some dreams that I had as a kid (Had superpowers but could not use them) but still was irksome.

And, yes, Cid.  All the time.  Only it's less Everyone's running at normal speed and I'm running slowly and more everybody's running and I trip.  Similar sort of dream, anyway.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2008, 05:58:54 PM »
I had a dream that my neighbor died and left all his inheritance to hookers. Four of them, in fact. Nothing too interesting but it was kind of weird. <_<
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Otter

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2008, 06:32:30 PM »
Kind of funny dream at the weekend. The group was all out for a night at the town, partying at clubs and such. Dancing! However Trance and Otter were dubbed too young to get into the club by the bouncer so they had to stay out on the street. They kept on trying to sneak into the club without success. Finally they decided to set up their own party in the street. So they had drinks and whatnot around a bonefire. I thought the bonfire was nifty so spent my time dancing between the two groups.

Whaat?  You don't even know what we look like.  Was I represented by, like, an actual otter?  Because that's awesome.

Anyway, I virtually never remember my dreams.  Which is to say that, out of curiosity, I've been taking pains to record any dreams that I remember having and there are only four there on the list so far (and I only actually remember images from two of them anymore; both of those are from over a decade ago, the two others are more recent but I only remember them at all because I recorded a few details).  I assume my dreams are usually pretty cool, I wouldn't know.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2008, 01:41:21 AM »
I had a dream that my neighbor died and left all his inheritance to hookers. Four of them, in fact. Nothing too interesting but it was kind of weird. <_<

How much did you get?

*runs for his life*

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2008, 05:38:53 AM »
My dreams are finally boring again. Last night I dreamed about, I shit you not, My Left Foot (I dunno if this shows up well, but that's a link)

Yeah, I dunno what the fuck.

Mad Fnorder

• Denizen
  • Hee-ho- Hiiii~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2008, 06:21:53 PM »
I had a bizarre conglomeration dream last night, of various games I've been playing. An evil mastermind (Acting  like Washu but looking like Mana Khemia's Pamela) had tasked me with finding a bunch of glowing spheres (Looking like the transparent blue pearls from Beyond Good and Evil) around Generic Japanese Population Center. For the last one (I was on a roll), she just launched it several thousand feet in the air. I tracked where it landed by the broken roof to a small American toy store/restaurant/electronic components store run by an Indian guy who spoke English. I grabbed the pearl from the corner where it landed and said "Hey, can I buy this?" He said "Sure... five bucks. But the store has a ten dollar minimum." The rest of the dream was spent with me trying to cheaply find something to reach the ten dollar limit but that was still useful. The food was no good, I had apparently just eaten. None of the generic toys were good for anything, not even souvenirs, since they were all American. All the while, the guy was yammering at me about Wal-mart. At one point near the end, Michael Caine (for no reason) stuck his head in the doorway of the shop, made a weird face at me, and left. I was finally planning on buying some utterly useless cell-phone keypad replacements shaped like tiny giant robots (Since I could like, throw them at friends as little bonus gifts to whatever I actually got them) when I woke up.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2008, 12:40:25 PM »
ENORMOUS post follows. Read only if you want to know way too much about the fucked-up mind of VSM.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I guess I've been experimenting with Lucid Dreaming. It's actually not what I'm trying to do, but for whatever reason, I can now do it to a degree. Or at least easier without waking up. (Re: At all. In the past, if I ever thought "I'm dreaming!" I'd lose all control and wake up.)

So I was in this mall. It wasn't even MY mall. And I was having a conversation with someone I used to know, I guess a friendly acquaintance. And I was telling her that I always liked her and that she was very attractive, but I was never really attracted to her. (Which is all true. And really bizarre, when I think about it. Why not?) Sometime after the conversation, my memory of the dream fogs up some. I don't remember if it was monsters or just murderers, but someone was attacking everyone in this mall. And I remember running away from this thing into the parking lot and looking for dad, who I figured was obliviously waiting in his car. Shortly after I thought of this, I spotted my mom's jeep in the back of the parking lot, and sure enough, my dad was inside of it.

Here's where the dream goes somewhat lucid. I pieced together that it was a dream. Not because I was in a mall that wasn't my mall. Not because I couldn't remember how I even GOT to the mall. Not because I had an overly personal conversation with someone I don't currently know very well. Not because the public place I was in was under attack by horrors. You might think that it was because, when I started to run, I was running faster than I usually can. Maybe it was my dad driving my mom's car instead of his own AWESOME car. You might even think it was because, as soon as I wished for my dad, there he was. And only that last one may be true. But the real clincher, as batshit crazy as this is, is I remember thinking "Dad would never park there" Which is ESPECIALLY ludicrous because...... I'm damn sure he would. It's insane troll logic. Or at least insane dream logic.

So instead of immediately waking up at the "I'm dreaming" moment, I focused and managed to close my thumb and middle finger on my right hand. I thought, "Ah-ha! I didn't wake up! This must be a lucid dream!"

So I was wondering around the parking lot after this, totally blowing off my dream dad. (I'm an insensitive prick, apparently.) I wasn't concerned with whatever was chasing me, because I was pretty sure that, if nothing else, I could force a scene change in my dream. My control over the dream felt very..... limited. But there was enough to be confident in my safety. It's sort of like being an apprentice wizard or something. Like, you know you don't have any formal spells like the big boys do, but when push comes to shove, you're the most powerful being in the immediate area.

In the parking lot, I ran into another old acquaintance of mine. This one unfriendly. And also a girl. I apparently dream about an awful lot of girls. Be prepared for a trip into loneliville. Anyhow, she was really, REALLY beat up by whatever the hell was attacking us all. She thought she was dying, but dream or no dream, this was a really melodramatic point of view, because it seemed like just a few broken bones to me, with no real bleeding or damage to her trunk. And her head-wounds seemed limited to her face.

She was begging me to take her to the hospital. And I remember thinking to myself, "Oh no, I can't drive!" Like it was some kind of a big deal in my crazy semi-lucid dream world. Eventually I assured her she'd be OK, and I started running my hands over her injuries, which healed her.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Somewhere in here, I lost control again, and I found myself in a speeding car with a couple of my friends, who wanted to go out clubbing. I was happy to be with them, but I was afraid (ashamed?!) because I didn't tell my parents I was going out with my friends, and when I looked at the clock, it was around the time they'd be coming home from their weekly romps in Canada. (I somehow correctly guessed the day in my dream.) I had to borrow one of their cell-phones, because I knew calling home would be the responsible thing to do. And I didn't have my own cell phone. Because I was in the mall, and I only really take my cell with me if I'm going to an appointment/class or if I go out with friends. I wouldn't take my phone to the mall.

..............I remembered that I was at the mall, and that I just CAME from the mall. And despite my dad being there and probably knowing I was hanging out with my friends, dream-me thought it was prudent to call him. Weird. Eerie.

Numbers are all kinds of screwed up in dreams. I find that if I really focus on them, lucid dream or no, they eventually start to make sense. But it's very, very hard. I remember a lot of times in older dreams where if I look at numbers or letters, I can't read them and I keep trying to make sense of them, but nada. For whatever reason, this doesn't always clue me in that it's a dream, or at least give me some degree of lucidity. Trying to actually DIAL a number was impossible. I called a wrong number on my first friend's phone (he doesn't even have a cell!) and kept dialing my home number wrong, and I eventually told him his phone sucked and asked the second friend for HIS phone. I wanted a phone more like mine, so he gave me a phone that was exactly like mine. (His real one is nothing like it.) After failing with even a familiar phone, I tossed it in disgust and thought,  "Fuck it, I'm dreaming. They can just worry about me." (WHY DID THIS MAKE SENSE?!)

There was a part with a casino and playing arcade-style games. I remember it lasting a long time, but my memory of it is soooooooo faded. I don't know why some of the memories are jumbled as all get out, and others are really vivid. I also vaguely recall something in this part with playing Poker. Another bit with dioramas, and a THIRD bit where I was running through walls to escape bouncers. Fuckers didn't know I had intangibility and X-ray vision in my semi-lucid dream. Shows what they know.

I remember being in a lab somewhere. And my mom and an older (literally. She's 40something) friend of my sister's were making confections together. I didn't even know that the friend could bake, but her cupcakes were delicious, albeit sloppy. In this lab, this one woman was making horrifying plant/spider things, but acting like it was the best thing ever. And she had friends who agreed with her. I thought they were all crazy and that these things were dangerous, but they wouldn't listen to me. Eventually, this giant ball of spider/plants "Hatched" for lack of better word, and started coming after me. I remember running away from them (All the way to my front porch from wherever the fuck I was.) before I realized, "Hey, wait a second. I can make them disappear." Except I couldn't. So I thought "OK, then. I can change them." So I changed them....... into big damn ants. BIG DAMN ANTS. I thought something along the lines of "Augh! This is also horrifying! Why did I think this was a good idea?!" And eventually just forced it to change scenes, because, MY GOD. BIG DAMN ANTS. Seriously. Why would I even DO that?!

All this typing is making my memory really fade. There was something with these three girls that, in my dream I knew very well, but in reality, they don't exist. I'm not sure of the real details. I think I had a full-fledged "Date" with all of them, that turned out badly, because I kept feeling guilty because I was semi-lucid dreaming. Like, I always knew that I could make the date go wherever I wanted, but kept ending the date, because it felt unethical. Weirder still, I think these were the creepy science-lab girls, so maybe I have a fetish for people who unleash horrors of vermin upon me. I'm so gonna get crabs when I'm older.

The third girl (fourth?!) liked me without me lucid-prompting her to, so I was happy. But by this time, I was fully losing control of my dream, and she kept changing into random objects. And I do mean random. I think she ended up as a half-eaten box of chocolate donuts. Poor girl. Yet another friend SAW me with my half-eaten box of chocolate donuts, and accused me of stealing HIS girlfriend, who 1)I don't even like, and 2)Is not a half-eaten box of chocolate donuts, nor a brunette, which is what I'm pretty sure I started with. Anyhow, I'd lost control of the dream completely at this point, and he was chasing me for REVENGE of some sort. I remember going blind and still navigating my way around, but eventually, I screamed "WAKE UP" because I was so frustrated I couldn't control my dream scenes any more.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You'd think it'd end there, but OH NO. See, I couldn't wake myself up completely, which is a problem I sometimes have when I sleep on my back. I'm prone to...... whatever it's called when your mind perceives an object as another object when you're either just falling asleep or just waking up. So I saw this shadow dance by from my fan, and I thought it was something jumping down to get me. So I started myself fully awake. I HATE when I do that. I think having terrible vision makes this problem worse, because everything is so goddamn BLURRY when I wake up. Everything could be anything.

Total time spent dreaming? TWO HOURS. Dear God.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2008, 04:04:29 PM »
The human mind is powerful indeed. Studies have shown that some of what people describe as the longest dreams during NREM sleep only take less than an hour of real time. Some as short as 10-15 minutes.

I've also noticed that if you get used to the snooze alarm, you can cycle through REM sleep fast enough to have multiple dreams, or skip along one dream with a degree of lucidity, or even skip along one dream while have it constantly change like chapters in a book. This takes a pretty fair bit of conditioning though, since you need to be able to go immediately back to sleep right after hitting snooze. I tend to do this for more than an hour sometimes.