Register

Author Topic: Polling the DL on mechanics  (Read 1537 times)

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
Polling the DL on mechanics
« on: December 11, 2017, 11:09:07 PM »
It may have been noticed in chat that Cid is being irresponsible and working on a game again. This evening, I'm starting to piece PC skillsets together. I have a copious library of skills ready that I built earlier in the year to be used on current and future projects occupying the same setting, so rather than the agony of making things up on the fly for every PC, I'm just picking an appropriate selection from the existing library. Which sounds easier!

But what I find is that I'm inclined to pick out a lot for any given PC (since there's tons to choose from), and what I'm wondering while I'm doing this is: at what point does a surfeit of options begin to tax a player's attention and patience?

So I figured I would throw this to the DL hivemind, because who the hell else is gonna play anything I make anyway, right? I'm considering this on two levels: 1) at which point does the number of available skills become more than you feel that you can memorize and keep track of; 2) at which point does shuffling through a menu by endgame just become a prohibitively lengthy process mechanically? As in, mashing down to reach your endgame skills every round in a long boss fight becomes a point of genuine irritation at busywork.

To try and trim out "It depends" responses in advance, here's what the field looks like, for reference: 12 PCs, presently looking at # of skills being in the mid-teens for physical fighters, mid-twenties for casters. The multiplication there sounds like a lot for someone to keep track of by endgame, even assuming a minimum of chaff. The last project I worked on, I stuck with a max of twelve skills for most PCs. I think this being a notably longer project with a bigger cast justifies there being more options, but putting in everything I want to feels like it might be trying to push past the saturation point. So at this point I'm just looking to hear personal preferences for what feels like too much when you're playing an RPG.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 11:10:40 PM by El Cideon »

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Re: Polling the DL on mechanics
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 11:26:59 PM »
Two followup questions:

1)  I'm assuming that by skills you mean specifically action skills?

2) What's the party size?

Like a dozen commands is quite a lot regardless, but if you're narrowing down to 3 or 4 PCs in battle than having each one with that many or more is tenable.  But if you're managing the entire cast at once...
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 11:49:49 PM »
1: Yes.

2: Active party is 4 PCs.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 02:19:59 AM »
Is 20 skills unique effects or is some Same But Scales Up?  If latter, don’t do that if you want to save menu space.

How many skills can you display at once?
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 02:25:11 AM »
To try and trim out "It depends" responses in advance
Fission mailed.  It depends!  Not on the # of PCs, though.

I'd say the answer requires backing up a good number of steps.
* #1 most important thing is to do what YOU want.  Cid's crappy game that only Cid likes has the virtue of being finished some day, because you love it.  The nasterful combination of the best aspects of Mass Effect, Mario, Civilization, and the NBA that everyone would love is less likely to happen. 

But you're asking for advice, so presumably this isn't make-or-break, so...
* Who is the audience for the game?  For indie games, making your core audience really really happy is more important than generic good design.  This can lead to some counterintuitive results, because "wrong" but rare decisions might pay off if people who like that kind of crap all flock to your game.  Put things another way, if your audience is hardcore RPG nuts who like SaGa, then go nuts on 20 crazy mechanics.  It's a bad call for everywhere else, but it sets your game apart and gives it a reason to exist.  Maybe. 

Okay, assuming your claim to fame is something else - people who like branching paths, people who like Suikoden-esque political plots, people who like Dark Souls fashion - and we're sticking to comprehensible mechanics...
* The number of skills is maybe the wrong gauge.  What matters is the number of learnable mechanics - the kind of thing a thinly disguised tutorial bit of dialogue might pop up where your party member says "use Wakka on flyers!" or "use Auron/Kimahri on dudes with shells!"  IOW, something like Fire/Fire2/Fire3/Fire4 counts as more like 1 skill than 4; you can have as few or as many of these as you like, but people get "does damage of this elemental flavor, but MORE."  (Maybe for cleanliness / UI purposes you shuffle out the older versions, a la SMT games.)  But if we're talking 4 special unique snowflake skills that take a bit of effort to learn, sure, charge the full 4.

* If you want to jam more mechanics in comprehensibly, consistency helps.  Make it so that once the player learns X, if they see the same X somewhere else, they automatically know what it does.  Piercing from FFX is a good example; you don't need to know the algorithms at all, but Auron/Kim handle heavily armored units better, and you can make more units do it if you enhance their weapons.  Is it a +X flat damage boost?  Is it ignoring defense?  Is it taking the greater of two calculations of damage?  Who cares, it's more damage and it's consistent.  (Twilight Struggle, for all that me / Excal / Ciato love it, is a good example of what NOT to do: each card has its own errata and rulings.  Oh OF COURSE a "free coup" from this one card doesn't give you military ops, but a coup from this other card does, and a coup from this card ignores DEFCON but not this card... ugh.)

* Flavor / resonance matters too.  If you are doing something where you have to teach the player absolutely everything (some alien new world with its own races, abilities, tech), take it slow at first.  If you are doing something that players automatically know and expect, you can bake in a ton of complicated mechanics for free.  If Rigelians have hypno-controllers and superior strength to Centaurians, but are photosensitive to the daytime radiation from the twin suns, get infected from Tabbus tree spears, and also need to be careful around certain poisonous plants as well as flowing rivers (they're terrible swimmers), that's a handful.  But if I say OH NO VAMPIRES, everybody immediately knows about sunlight, running water, garlic, wooden stakes, etc.

* Related to the above, but same with a system everyone knows, it lets you get away with more complexity.  Baldur's Gate II could pack in a billion complicated spells because at least some of the playerbase already knew them from D&D.  If you are ruthlessly ripping off a famous system (e.g. Final Fantasy), you may be able to ride on some similar coattails.

So yeah.  The more conditions above you can meet, the more crap you can cram in safely.  As usual, Mark Rosewater is pretty good reading on the Theory of Game Design.  Here's a random article that seems appropriate:
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/between-grok-and-hard-place-2006-10-16

(Note that oddly enough, Suspend, the particular example mechanic, didn't do so well as it turned out that despite being reasonable to grok, all those gameplay footnotes and edgecases still gummed things up...  but the point remains.)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 02:30:36 AM by SnowFire »

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 04:25:39 AM »
If you just want a personal preference, I'm all for "mo' skills, mo' better". The key to me is that each skillset has a clear theme. That it makes each PC stand out from one another on the basis of how their skillset synergizes with itself and creates a clear role. If you don't have twelve clear roles, then make sure PCs get some kind of title/job/role explanation so I know which ones are variants of others and I can choose e.g. whether I want my speedy glass cannon DPS or sluggish burst damage DPS.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 11:31:04 PM »
Is 20 skills unique effects or is some Same But Scales Up?  If latter, don’t do that if you want to save menu space.

How many skills can you display at once?

To first question: there is some of same basic spell at higher power level later on, sure. I endeavored to keep it to a minimum just because that is the most obvious place to trim the fat, but in a long campaign (which this is most definitely intended to be), I don't think ramping up the power level can be entirely avoided. I don't have any plans to have later versions of a certain type of spell erase the earlier version from a PC's list, because I am the kind of person that likes retaining the option of using a cheaper version to snipe down a weakened enemy while saving on MP (also, almost no type of spell gets more than two tiers of power).

VXA's battle window could show up to 8 skills at once, but MV looks to be built to display something like twice that (I don't have enough built into the engine yet for this project to confirm, but just eyeballing it, looks like plenty of space).

To try and trim out "It depends" responses in advance
Fission mailed.  It depends!  Not on the # of PCs, though.

"You could say that about anything, of course it depends."

Who is the audience? You tell me what the audience is for retro turn-based RPGs about parallel history lesbians, I'm damned if I know. I've just been assuming all along that we can drop this in a box labeled "DL" and if anybody else stumbles across anything I make, it'll only be after years of persistence and additional episodes. I think the real audience is just my own sense of personal accomplishment + guttering will to continue existing. But I can give you some of my ground rules and then outline how skills are broken up (simultaneously for gameplay, flavor and simple UI reasons that I believe reinforce each other).

-The player should be as informed as possible about every technique and piece of equipment available to their party. Text space left available after any (as succinct as possible) technical information is conveyed should be used for flavor purposes, because I will never pass up a chance to enhance setting clarity through incidental information.

-For narrative emphasis and scope, it is indeed accurate to look at Suikoden for a parallel to what I ultimately want to do. The world will never be at stake, but someone's little definition of it should be.

-Boss fights should be rude. The most dramatic plot conflicts should be represented by dramatic challenges. I want enough technical depth for them to be challenges that require a thorough exploration of all advantages available to the player--but also have more than one specific viable approach.

-No knights, no dragons!

None of that directly addresses skills, but it does address tone and I endeavor for skillsets to be appropriate for that. I cut off power levels at what a 10th level D&D caster might be able to do (and even then there are other hard limits, like no one has teleportation ever, and other magic that might similarly break the logistics of a pre-modern society simply doesn't exist). Mention of BG is fairly apt, because I crib a lot from d20 mechanics, largely sticking to the same spread of elements and status effects. I try to think about what weapons might plausibly be able to physically accomplish on a mechanical level when selecting weapon skills or weapon traits, and magic equipment is an uncommon and expensive thing. I am not specifically aiming for "gritty realism," but I am erring on the side of caution. Magic is fun, and I enjoy having it in the setting to spice things up a little, but too much distracts from my real concern, which apparently is exploring the downsides of colonialism and imperialism and similar corners of history that most speculative fiction doesn't appear interested in for some reason.

If you can name what the audience is for that approach being paired with fairly chibi JRPG sprites, please divulge this information. If I had my free pick of art styles, I'd probably hew a lot closer to Suikoden again, but visual design is one area where I am wholly bereft of ability. RPGM's character portraits still land squarely within my comfort zone, though (I suspect I'll always prefer Japanese games for aesthetics and gameplay no matter how much I prefer Obsidian's writing).

The skill system I've been hammering out is broken up thusly:

-Weapon Arts, which are exactly what they sound like. A PC has to have the specified weapon type equipped in order to use these. These are projected to use HP to activate. In the project currently under discussion, physical fighters will typically have six WAs each from two separate weapon classes.

-Spell lists are broken up into Magic and Prayer. Magic is mostly about inconveniencing your adversaries; Prayer is predominantly about helping your friends. This is both a reflection of how spellcasting is organized socially in-world and a quick way for the player to infer what general purpose a new casting PC serves just by checking which school of casting they have. In the project currently under discussion, dedicated casters have spell lists capped at 16 for comprehensibility (and, again, this is about the breadth of a 10th-level d20 caster's spell selection). Spell lists per PC are heavily themed.

-Perform exists because music is key (more fundamentally, language is key in-context to the functioning of anything magic). One song can be active on the party at a time; once activated, it will remain in effect until battle ends, the performer dies, or another song is started by the same or any other PC; characters who die and are rezzed mid-fight should resume benefiting from the effect of an already active song. I approach the mechanical effects of these by thinking of them as buffs that might plausibly derive from morale boosts; they should be about on the scale of impact, probably not as much as a spell, but also without a spell's expiration date. Unsure if used in project currently under discussion, probably not yet; due to only one ever being active at a time, it would make sense for any performer to have only a modest selection of options here. Huge opportunity for flavor dumps when used, though.

-Personal Skills are basically limits and run off of TP. Unsure if they'll break down squarely along 25/50/75/100 lines for everyone, but the idea is that everyone has four.

I try not to have any given PC draw from more than two of the Weapon Art/Magic/Prayer/Perform categories, because I figure that Too Many Menus is likely to ensue. For all of those, human enemies will also draw from many of the same skill pools. This is principally to convey that there are common schools and traditions of combat and casting that a broad cross section of people draws from in-context, but it's also easier for a player to grasp what a new PC or enemy is doing if their skillset looks like it's built out of something they're already at least somewhat familiar with.

In this project, when we're talking about 15-25 skills per PC, what we're practically looking at in a combat menu is that total split up: for physical fighters usually 12x WA + 4x PS (WAs likely 6-6 split between two weapon types, maybe 8-4 for some PCs); dedicated casters 16x spell usually under a single school (this is the part I worry about being visually unwieldy) + 4x PS, a few with a handful of WAs for backup (or if it just makes enough plot/character sense).

(Individual PCs will also have their own handful of flavorful passive traits, for sure--elemental or status weaknesses or resists, other esoteric stuff just for example--but I consider that separate from the skill system. Traits are things you look at in a menu, skills are things you actively use in battle. I haven't figured out where in the MV engine I can display things like elemental and status resists, but I would like them to be easily visible. See same maxim: the player should be as completely informed as possible about the tools available to them.)

Tallying all that up, I can see it being a lot to memorize and keep track of. But to your question of "Is this likely intended for an audience of people comfortable with somewhat imposing mechanical breadth?" I'd always assumed that anyone would have to be goddamn weird to put up with me or anything I made in the first place.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 11:32:37 PM by El Cideon »

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 07:40:59 AM »
I've always found 12 to be the sweet spot from a design perspective, assuming minimal move upgrading. The way you have it set up (10 active for Physical fighters, 17-20? for mages including maybe 4 upgrade spells?) seems fine. Will all weapon skills be attacks and how many weapon classes are you thinking of in total? If there is a lot of overlap in weapon skills, that would certainly help. The things I would watch out for:

--Make sure that the character builds stay distinct. Sometimes as games expand skill selection, it ends up just causing a lot of overlap that ends up making it kind of pointless (Tiekreis and ATL 4 being some of the worst offenders I can think of, which is too bad on Tiekreis account because it had the perfect skill count)
--Players have a relatively easy way to determine if a particular move is viable in new situations (whether it's obvious, via a scan spell or something else)
--All moves should have a very valid purpose. I generally try to create situations where a variety of moves work well, but a variety of moves also fail pretty badly. A lot of this is on enemy design though, where you might have some notable limits?

Will the character builds be similar to your old RPG?
...into the nightfall.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 11:45:01 AM »
If you can display 8 skills at once then you have 2 full pages + a bit more.   If you trimmed down to 16 I think it would be better, but if you can display more than that in a new version then you are likely fine. 

Core principle there is that if you start at the top of a list and then scroll down all the way through to the bottom between those two states you will see everything.  That way you never get lost scrolling up and down to find something in the middle of your list.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 01:48:25 AM »
There shouldn't ever be more than 16 in a single skill list (the stated totals will tend to be broken up between 2-3 types per PC), which looks to be about what the MV combat skill selection screen will display before scrolling happens. That's exactly the kind of visual clutter/confusion I was concerned about (protagonist in my previous game had a bit more than I like to scroll through in a smaller window like VXA's), but it doesn't look like it'll happen in MV.

I've always found 12 to be the sweet spot from a design perspective, assuming minimal move upgrading. The way you have it set up (10 active for Physical fighters, 17-20? for mages including maybe 4 upgrade spells?) seems fine. Will all weapon skills be attacks and how many weapon classes are you thinking of in total? If there is a lot of overlap in weapon skills, that would certainly help. The things I would watch out for:

--Make sure that the character builds stay distinct. Sometimes as games expand skill selection, it ends up just causing a lot of overlap that ends up making it kind of pointless (Tiekreis and ATL 4 being some of the worst offenders I can think of, which is too bad on Tiekreis account because it had the perfect skill count)
--Players have a relatively easy way to determine if a particular move is viable in new situations (whether it's obvious, via a scan spell or something else)
--All moves should have a very valid purpose. I generally try to create situations where a variety of moves work well, but a variety of moves also fail pretty badly. A lot of this is on enemy design though, where you might have some notable limits?

Will the character builds be similar to your old RPG?

Actually filling out the weapon art list is the last big thing to do with skills. I'm concluding that there definitely needs to be more than just purely offensive maneuvers in the weapon art lists, both for diversity in options and for balance reasons. So for "Will all weapon skills be attacks?" I've concluded the answer has to be Definitely Not. So I'm trying to think of them as fighting styles more than just weapons, and think of what of stances, taunts, and dirty tricks might be appropriate for someone using one (fist weapons definitely lead into dirty streetfighting, for example).

For reference, these are the general trends I jotted down for each weapon type:

Axes: Slash-typed. The most emphatically slow-but-strong type of weapon, likely to trade agility and/or accuracy for raw power. Skills are always single-target, always single hit. Likely to apply physical ailments such as ATK/DEF Down, Paralysis, similar health problems that might practically result from bones being broken.

Bows: Pierce-typed. Damage calculation is split between ATK/AGI vs. DEF/AGI. I don't actually have much jotted down for these because I didn't anticipate them typically being relevant--bows are obsolete weaponry in-context in most of what I have planned in favor of the below type, but are relevant for project currently under discussion (because it's in a comparably ancient era). Probably there are lots of variations on rapid-fire barrage in the tree.

Firearms: Pierce-typed. Always single-shot since guns in my planned timeline never graduate past muskets. Damage runs off of AGI and is reduced by both enemy DEF and enemy AGI (more significantly the latter), because armor isn't as useful against guns as is not getting shot (or at least getting shot somewhere less vital). Gun skills are likely to include lots of tradeoffs--usually attack speed or evasion for enhanced accuracy, ITD, etc. Also esoteric bonuses from specialized ammo (silver bullets bypassing resistance to physical elements, flash powder for Blind, grapeshot for MT, etc). Gun-users cannot counterattack.

Fists: Strike-typed. Hit 2x with standard attack, but notably weaker stat-wise than other weapon types, so they're more likely to ram up hard against high DEF. Skills likely to employ Stun, Blind, be executed through multi-hit flurries.

Hammers: Strike-typed. In many ways the blunt Axe variant, but with different statuses--MAT/MDF Down, Confusion, similar afflictions that result from heavy thing hitting skull.

Knives: Slash or Pierce-typed. Have slightly better crit rates than other weapon types. Weapon arts should resemble assassination skills (ITD/ITE, disabling abilities like AGI Down and Bleed) for Pierce, and cruder dual-wield street fighting for Slash (likely multi-hit flurries, LUK Down and Bleed again).

Polearms: Slash-typed. Get a bonus to attack speed due to having reach, so characters with crap agility might still get ahead in turn order on their attacks (bonus doesn't apply when someone equipped with one uses magic instead). Weapon type most likely to get sweeping MT skills.

Spears: Pierce-typed. In many ways the poky Polearm variant, same reach advantages. Loses the MT focus, but most likely location of ITD skills.

Swords: Either predominantly Slash-typed or predominantly Pierce-typed, depending on the region and era. For project under discussion, it's the latter. Swords have slightly better crit rates than other weapon types, and skills are more likely to execute as a flurry of smaller attacks. Bonuses like evade and counter will likely appear for Pierce (your refined, courtly duelling rapiers), Bleed for Slash (traditional longswords, scimitars and the like). Greatswords largely do not exist.

Whips: Slash-typed. Same reach advantages as Polearms/Spears. Damage calculation is split between ATK and AGI (though less weighted towards the latter than Firearms). Likely to inflict statuses like Tripped/Disarmed (turn delay/damage debuff), Bleed. Some MT capacity.

All ranged weapons (and likely weapons with reach--polearms, spears, whips) will ignore enemy counters.

We're probably about 7/10 on the grognard scale?

For the bullet points:

A) Yeah, I try to. For example, here there's three PCs that pull spells from the healing line, but they do it differently: one gets all the tiers of ST and MT and also the best revival; one gets only ST but also has higher MAT to run it off of and also gets regen; one only gets MT, but has reduced spell costs and higher MAT and elemental resist buffs to make it more efficient. Mages all cover different arenas and specialize in different things beyond just having different flavors of magic damage. Skillsets are supposed to be heavily themed. There'll be a little overlap, for sure, but most people should have their own distinct patch of real estate.

B) RPGmaker doesn't offer any visible way to make a Scan skill, and I'm not aware at this time of anyone scripting one. So I think the only way to make that sort of thing clear is the old-fashioned way, I.E., have enemies in a given area tend towards themes and trust the player to pick up on trends reinforced through consecutive battles. That + environment theme giving similar cues, and there's always story + local flavor text reinforcing things.

C) MV is pretty flexible, and I probably have more options here via plugins than I did in VXA (at least that's the impression I get in advance). I doubt there are engine-enforced technical limits on enemy design that would lead to similar limits on usefulness of skills--I mean, that's really on me to make the enemies worthwhile in the first place. If anything would require lots of fiddling to get right, I imagine it'll be enemy AI.

Similarity question: kinda in the sense that I'm building around the same statistical trends (for example, relatively narrow HP spread so specific characters' balance of defensive stats matter more) and that I try to give everyone their own personal blend of resistances and weaknesses. I'm not fundamentally reinventing anything, but I can always try to make it more balanced.