Register

Author Topic: Random Game Design Ideas  (Read 2031 times)

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
Random Game Design Ideas
« on: March 10, 2015, 10:57:52 PM »
So, I don't know about the rest of you, but I find myself constantly coming up with cool ideas for RPG mechanics, and as a result I am always wanting to make my own games. But this is completely unviable given my usual amount of free time, and even should I have time for making something, I've usually forgotten the ideas or I haven't thought them through enough to do anything with them.
And really, I mostly just want to discuss the game theory behind the ideas, so I thought I'd make a topic for sharing whatever random game mechanics thought comes to mind and maybe getting some discussion going on RPG game mechanics and balance in general.

The one particular idea that I have been mulling over most recently and the one that seems like a genuinely cool gameplay basis instead of a one-off neat idea was inspired by the copious amounts of Smash Bros I've been playing recently and thinking on how it could be adapted into an RPG format. I wonder if anyone else thinks it's a concept worth exploring for actually making a game.

Percent/Stock interaction
Two health bars. Stock is standard HP. Percent is a buffering durability bar that starts at 0%. All attacks on Stock are multiplied by the amount of Percent damage a target currently has, then the Percent bar itself is damaged without the multiplier. At 0%, a target's Stock cannot be damaged by standard means because the damage is multiplied by 0, but the attack will still hit the Percent bar, causing the next attack to cause a percentage of damage. For example at 50%, an attack will do half of its standard damage. Intuitively, at 150%, it will do 1.5x damage. Percent maxes out at 999%, at which point any attack that deals Stock damage will instant kill any opponent. There are attacks that only damage Percent, these usually deal fixed damage or very high damage. Only a very small number of attacks can hit Stock directly. Some abilities can heal either Percent or Stock damage. Final Smash type attacks are usually usable at 100% or higher. These do not consume Percent, though sometimes they may self-damage Percent or Stock.

I like the concept behind this especially since I know it's a fairly trivial battle system quirk to program, unlike a lot of the more grandiose ideas I've had that involve crazy party  swapping mechanics or transformation or a lot of enemy-dependent player skills.

3 Years Later EDIT with another Smash RPG idea:
Translating the Rock-Paper-Scissors style of combat from Fighting Games into JRPG turn-based mechanics.
1. Every ally and enemy character actually gets to choose two actions every time they take a turn: One Offense, and One Defense. This is to allow the quick-reflex-style of reactionary gameplay into a turn-based system. In typical turn-based systems, Defensive actions are a generally inferior use of turn economy. By allowing Defensive options 'for free' along with standard Actions, Defensive/Reaction-like options will see play.

2. Each turn, an ally or enemy unit will decide whether to first use their Defensive action or Offensive action. Using a Defensive action first will mean the Defensive boost occurs at the start of a round as an initiative action. However, all initiative Defensive actions have counters, so it may be best to Attack first, and finish the round with a Defensive boost in play.

3. Defensive actions are based on Smash-style gameplay. Block>Attack>Grab triangle exists, with a couple of universal Block variations, some character-specific Block and Grab variations, one universal Grab command, and then all other JRPG-style skills that target enemies would be classified as "Attacks".

a. Block: Standard "Take 50% less damage from Attacks"-style Defense. May lower negative status accuracy too. Generally a safe bet to use for the Defensive portion of your turn. However, if an opponent uses Grab, the defender takes increased 50% damage. So it's important to learn enemy tendencies/patterns to know whether to Block first or Attack first or whether to use a different Defense action entirely.

b. Dodgeroll Forward: Negates damage from Ranged attacks through 100% evasion. Does not negate Melee-range attacks. If used first in a turn, user cannot use a Long-Range/Projectile-typed Attack for their offense that turn.
c. Dodgeroll Backward: Naturally, negates damage from Melee-range attacks through 100% evasion. Does not negate Long-Range attacks. If used first in a turn, user cannot use a Melee-typed Attack for their offense that turn.

d. Sidestep: Increases user's natural evasion stat by 50% and negates being Grabbed. A generally safe use of the defensive portion of a turn, but relies on luck instead of reading the opponent's tendencies. The Evasion boost does not apply against multi-hit or multi-target Attacks.

e. Grab: Universal command that activates just after the Initiative Defensive phase of a round if used first, and activates according to user's Speed if used second. Fails against opponents queued for Attacks, both Dodgerolls, and Sidesteps. Automatically hits Blocking targets and leads into a Throw Combo attack that does massive multi-hit damage. Some characters have unique Command Grabs that function similarly with different followup Throws/Combos/Status Effects.

f. Counters: Character-specific Defense actions that negate or lower melee-range damage and then give the user a 'free' attack to cause damage. Obviously doesn't work against long-range-type attacks and may incur extra penalties. Different Counters interact differently with multi-hit or multi-target attacks. Incur extra penalties if a foe uses Grab on the character while in this state.
g. Reflectors: Character-specific Defense actions that negate or lower long-range damage/skills and then reflect the damage/effect back upon the foe. Most do not work against most melee-range-type attacks and may incur extra penalties. Different Reflectors interact differently with multi-hit or multi-target attacks. Incur extra penalties if a foe uses Grab on the character while in this state.

4. Enemy A.I. : The key point to making a system like this work is to make Enemy A.I. mostly predictable. (Especially its Defensive phase actions!) All enemies, from bosses to random mobs, would need action patterns that can be intuited or recognized over time or obviously telegraphed so that the player can learn when to use the proper Defensive actions. If some kind of percentage-based action choice was introduced, it would have to be extremely skewed so that uncommon actions in the behavior patterns are extremely rare and don't frustrate players trying to formulate strategies (so 90%/10% split at most, akin to Critical hits. This is likely how to implement risky actions like Grab). Using the Percentage/Stock system described above could alleviate some of the danger inherent to this kind randomness.

Anyway, discuss/post your own random game thoughts, I'd be interested in reading them! 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 12:43:30 PM by DjinnAndTonic »

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
Re: Random Game Design Ideas
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2015, 04:28:04 AM »
I generally try to develop interesting PCs rather than trying to design out-there battle systems. I'm particularly enamored with giving PCs 2 distinct skillsets. Here's basic rundowns a few games (which tends to make them sound generic due to lack of information). I'm also very fond of large cast games, elemental magic schools and weapon skills:

Main Series 1: 16 or so PCs, each learns 12 unique techs. In terms of a battle system, very straightforward overall. The focus is on the same variety of skillsets found in the game (You get lots of broken, the enemy responds in turn). Later games introduce some extra mechanics (Characters can switch off being modes with various stat boosts/losses and secondary effects), but for the most part it's very straightforward. Plot of the games revolve around Witch Hunting and Blood Curses. Uses some inspiration from the Rain Wilds in Robin Hobb for a later game. I have 200 pages of battle math for the first game. If I ever get around to learning to program, creating a system where I can write the battle software myself for this game would be my goal. Division defense.

BG inspired: 16 of so PCs, elementally aligns; I came up with this idea before XS 2 came out, but XS 2 ended up with a near identical mechanic. You can sync PC turns, and then chain moves together using...Air, Down or Stun (unlike XS 2, these do have different facets). Most every PC has 2 skillsets (The main has 3: Slayer (Slayer skills), Gluton (Draining and Gravity) and Warding (Self-Target uber defensive skills that can also be preset). Plot focus is on Godhunting. The similarity to BG lies in character recruitment and world building (Also somewhat how skillsets look with fighters generally having a small core of moves while mages extensive skillsets). Subtraction defense (which gets a bit crazy with some buffs in the game).

Mass Scale SRPG 1: 12 PCs, massive outdoor maps (some small ones too). Some characters can cover absurd distances (Summoner character is massive AoE). Heavy focus on weather and elemental tiles. Characters tend to have a lot of quirk builds; you have a flying character who can focus on attacking from the ground or the air (you'll often probably be tempted to send him out alone. Think of him as Canopus on speed).

Mass Scale pseudo SRPG 2: Multiple perspective game. Battle system focuses on squad based movement and formation (although when battle is enacted, action is PC based, not squad based). On some massive maps, you'll probably be looking at sending out 4-5 squads. Strategic placement and movement will be critical here. Features an insane fog of war map (but the fog of war isn't really about hiding enemies from you so that you can get ambushed, it's about hiding enemies from you so that it's harder to know how to best manage your resources in a particular fight). Definitely, definitely, definitely is a 3D game to make the fog of war maps work how I would intend.

Weapon/Magic Skill Focused Game: Likely a standard RPG, this game is centered around PCs being able to pick up either weapon skills (axe, sword...etc), magic skills (normal elements) or unique skills. Lots of customization with lots of ultimate attacks to work towards. Features weight weapon prominently. If your strength benchmark is far exceeding weapon weight, you get an extra attack bonus. If your strength benchmark is having issues with weapon weight, accuracy and speed plummet.

FE/SF style SRPG: Similar map scope. Characters learn 10 skills, you get to pick which 4-6 you want. Fairly typical SRPG overall, which again, some quirks on characters. For example, an Assassin character really will be an assassin. Skills will include invisible shadow movement with lots of other ways to sneak around enemies.

Grid Based Class System: Grids are fairly large. 4 main PCs; every PC has a starting class (there are overlap) and has 2 unique skills they can unlock in mastering that class (Probably 12-16 classes). This is more of a plot developed game than anything else. Plot could be modified into a pseudo FF precursor story detailing birth of the Elemental Fiends. Included some inspiration from the Symphony of Ages series by Elizabeth Hayden (most specifically elemental trees that are the penultimate dungeon).

And...at least 5 more, but I feel like the more I describe, the more they will blur (since at some point, the differences in battle system will be coming down to things like resource management). I basically have what is the equivalent of stat topics for these (and a lot more of the first one, since I have stats and AI for all enemies, as well as expected money balance, EXP tables...etc).
...into the nightfall.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 12:02:45 PM »
Yes, this is exactly the kind of thing that I do in my spare time. Like, waiting in line at the grocery store, I'll just default to mentally organizing how I want my game's party to be balanced or try to figure out which combination of skills and status effects would work best together.

I don't have quite as many as Dhyer, and most of my ideas tend to be more based on pre-existing series used in a new context, just because I like that sort of thing, as my previous attempts at hacking might have indicated.

That was a really cool read, though. I feel like I'd play just about all of those game concepts you described. My particular favorite is the BG-inspired game. I'd like to hear more about the skill trees you developed, especially since you said that you spend the most time on those.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 09:01:20 AM »
Hmm, I could post character descriptions and skillsets if that would be of interesting. Is that what you mean by skill trees?
...into the nightfall.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 12:54:05 AM »
Well, you mentioned branching skill builds, so I thought 'skill tree' was a better description?

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 05:43:23 PM »
Necropost ahoy, though I suppose for the most part it's a big necropost; this forum outside of stickied threads has seemed dead for a while.  I have ideas, and moreso I kind of want to just throw them down.  More that I have an idea for a general system, not so much a hard-set concept for a game, and it's something likely doable in MV.

Whether it's good...dunno.

Core stats: HP/ST/EX/ATK/WP/ARM/WIL/RES/AGI

HP: is HP.  You die when you run out.  Comparably fast growth in relation to other stats.
ST: Stamina.  One of the three "resources" used, will be explained later.
EX: Exceed.  One of the three "resources" used, will be explained later.  Fixed maximum
ATK: Attack power.  General capacity of the character to inflict raw damage.
WP: Weapon Power.  Combination of the character's general capability with weapons, and the efficacy of the weapon itself.  Fixed stat with regards to characters, modifiable by equipment and statuses only.
ARM: Armor.  Overall resilience to physical damage.  Fixed stat with regards to characters, modifiable by equipment and statuses only.
WIL: Willpower.  Forcefulness of mind, affects magical damage and status chances.
RES: Resistance.  Overall resilience to energy/other magical damage.  Fixed stat with regards to characters, modifiable by equipment and statuses only.
AGI: Agility.  Speed, so on.

Stats generally remain as small as I can make them.

Resource management:
Resources are generally split between three different types: Cooldowns, ST, EX.
Cooldowns on abilities are what you'd think: how many turns you have to wait in between uses of an ability.  Cooldowns tick down once per turn, with other effects altering how they tick down (Most universally notable: a basic physical use will tick down all of your cooldowns an extra tick, making it effective for recovery. when you either have little else left, or need something NOW.)
Cooldown-based abilities are going to naturally be more general-use, of course, due to the fact that they recover entirely between battles.

Stamina-based abilities, or ST, may or may not run on cooldowns.  What is notable, however, is that stamina as a resource can only be replenished at inns or other rest points, essentially making them vulnerable to attrition.  No effects exist that can restore it mid-battle.  They will generally get effects one cannot normally, however, and can be effective if used wisely.

Exceed...been toying with variations on this idea, either to use it like SRW Will/Morale/Focus or WA1/WA2 FP, or a mix thereof.  After all, you need Other Cool Shit to do at times.

General formulas are looking at a hybrid between subtractive and divisive damage formulas.  Cx refers to a constant within the given formula that may vary on the ability.

Physical: (WP-ARM)*(ATK+C1)/C2.
Magical: (C1+WIL*C2-RES)*(WIL+C3)/C4.

If we use Exceed as SRW Will/Morale/Focus, either of those would likely be multiplied by ((attacker.EX+100)/(defender.EX+100))

Character variations that I could think of within this system include
  • Character who uses mostly/entirely cooldowns.
  • Character who uses mostly/entirely ST-based skills
  • An "alchemist" style character who actually uses items as a resource.  Reagent-class items would be stored with, ideally, a fixed inventory cap.
  • A "monk" style character who breaks the rules on ARM/RES/WP not scaling with level.  Albeit at the cost of limited equipment selections.  Weaponry would have to specifically be for that character, which generally does go against my general ideology of letting characters have at least two weapon types equippable, often crossing over with another character's set.
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 11:54:44 AM »
More dumb necroposting, this time featuring ideas that had I plot ideas and visual assets, I'd totally be willing to do.  Basically, some ideas for a sci-fi RPG.  While there's a few out there, it feels like there is space for something of that sort.

And no, watching Hoshi wo Miru Hito's speedrun last night had nothing to do with it.

- Actually imagining it without a psionic/magic analogue.  There's actually mechanical room for it, but I'd need a setting that'd involve it.

- The MP-analogue is Energy, in this case, abbreviated as EN.  Assumptions include that energy weapons are fairly-common and either personal battery packs (for biologicals) or internal capacitors (for robots and high-conversion cyborgs)

- EN is entirely gear-based, not level-based.  Ergo, you want more energy, you need a better battery.

- Guns that don't draw from this energy pool are ammo-based.  Think charges, ala FF1/Suiko/Eternal Poison.

- Notably, guns and whatnot would likely be equipped subweapons.  You'd probably have a melee option for your main hand "weapon" style weapon.  (This'd probably amount largely to knives, punching weapons, and the like.  Maybe also improvised stuff like knives and punching weapons)

- Personal shields would be a thing.  They would provide extra ablative HP.  I imagine it'd largely block EM-based attacks (mostly electrical and beam attacks) rather than full coverage.  They can be recharged mid-fight, but it costs EN and an action to do so.

- by the by, yes, bio/mech split is definitely a given, akin to PS4 and the like.

- Robot characters would be a thing.  They would generally be more resistant to certain forms of attack and have internal generators allowing them to restore EN, but normal healing (and some other items) would not be applicable to them.

- Common damage types I imagine would be Kinetic (which could be broken into the trio of Impact/Slashing/Piercing as well as Blasting), Beam, Incendiary (Separate from beam insofar that while both are thermal in nature, one's energy-based and the other is I AM NOW ON FIRE), Electric, Electromagnetic(EMP-based and the like), Corrosive, Biochemical.  Robots would be more susceptible to electric, electromagnetic, and corrosive.  Living beings moreso to Beam, Incendiary, and Biochemical.

- Hacking attacks would be a thing!  Mostly applicable to people who are wired up and robots, they wouldn't do damage but they would apply statuses.  Particularly nasty ones to use against robots.  Yeah, I know, it's not analogous to real hacking but deckers are a common enough archetype that I could see it.

okay that's all I can think of for now.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 11:59:46 AM by 074 »
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.