Author Topic: Game Design Theory -- Pt 2: The psychological state of Play  (Read 1875 times)

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/1524/the_chemistry_of_game_design.php?page=2

Play is instinctual. In low stimulation environments where we are not actively pursuing activities related to food and shelter, people will begin playing by default. Strong feedback mechanisms in the form boredom or frustration prod us into action. Given a spare moment, we throw ourselves into playing with blocks or dolls as children and more intricate hobbies as adults. It is a sign of our need for meaningful stimulation that solitary confinement remains a vicious punishment for the most hardened criminals.1

The flip side is that we are rewarded for learning. The sensation that gamers term ‘fun’ is derived from the act of mastering knowledge, skills and tools. When you learn something new, when you understand it so fully you can use that knowledge to manipulate your environment for the better, you experience joy.

There is a reasonable amount of neuroscience available to support this claim. Edward A Vessel, a cognitive neuroscientist at the NYU Center for Neural Science writes:

“These “aha” moments, when a concept or message is fully interpreted and understood, lead to a flood of chemicals in the brain and body that we experience as pleasurable. It feels good to “get” it. The deeper the concept is, the better it feels when we are finally able to wrap our head around it.”

Upon the click of comprehension, a natural opiate called endomorphin, a messaging chemical in the brain similar in structure to morphine, is released. As humans, we are wired to crave new information constantly. In some sense, what you and I term curiosity can be interpreted as our brain looking for its next fix of deliciously fascinating information.

Ever seen one of those big colourful things from the 80s where they say "learning is fun"?  You know, these:

They weren't kidding.  Learning is fun.  Learning is like taking goddamn heroin.  Without any of the downsides.

Now, there's no question that people mean different things when they call games "fun" (I'm sure some of you have read Mark Rosewater's Timmy/Johnny/Spike), but I'd estimate that a good 70% of people, when they refer to "fun", they're referencing the psychological state of play.  And since the psychological state of play is the primary method of human learning (and mammal learning, for that matter), we can actually say that fun is literally learning.

And once we realize this, we get a large knowledgebase at our feet--namely, all the academic research done on Education.  We know, for instance...

People are highly resistant to un-learning things they already know (which is why you get nerd rage when you can't invert analog aiming in console games).

Learning works like a tree structure, with more advanced concepts being built on less advanced concepts.  You need to be able to jump before you can jump on a platform.  This also has implications for re-learning--if you're going to make people re-learn something, make them re-learn it at the top of a tree.  When you do something like invert people's aim controls, you not only disrupt their learned aiming skills at the base of the tree, but all the skills further up that tree branch too, like "aiming while moving, jumping, crouching, and shooting".

Synthesis is challenging.  People tend to compartmentalize their learning, like "I freeze blocks to get past those pits" and "I dig to get around those obstacles".  Thinking like this makes it very easy to miss moments when "I'd normally dig to get past this obstacle, but freezing is better."  Or, moments like "If I freeze over here, it will allow me to dig when I otherwise wouldn't be able to."

And so on (I don't have a degree in Education; others can probably fill you in more than I can).

So...knowing that we're trying to design something that maximizes people's play-state and learning, even if the learning is not directly applicable to anything in the real world, how do we do this?

One way is to make a system with a fixed number of rules but nearly unlimited depth, so that there's always something new to learn.  Chess or Go, for instance.  (I believe there are more books written about Go strategy than any other game in the world--clearly a lot to learn--and the game has, what, four rules?)  This appeals a lot to some people when done right, but has some downsides.  First, it's really hard to make these games.  Second, it's going to miss some audiences--the player needs a good deal of self-motivation to either network with people smarter than herself and learn their strategies, or desire to experiment and compare the effectiveness of various strategies knowing full well that most experiments will be failures from which she will learn little.

The second way is to just provide the player with lots of small easily-learnable chunks.  This will feed new players with a constant, unbroken stream of learning, but may lack replay value.  For an example, let's look at Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Quote from: Super Mario Galaxy 2
Star 1: reintroduces the basic jumping mechanics from 3D Marios.  Has some platforms that rise up and disappear (which may not have been in SMG1).  Has a boss that's...slightly different from past SMG bosses (although trivial if you're used to SMG bosses).

Saddle Up with Yoshi: makes you learn riding Yoshi, swinging from flowers as Yoshi, eating enemies as Yoshi, dragging large drawers with Yoshi's tongue, fluttering with Yoshi

Storming the Sky Fleet: Introduces Circular/Curl gravity (gravity that works like magnetism, where "down" takes you around the center of gravity).  Introduces phantom Marios that chase and try to kill you.  Also a bunch of things that haven't shown up yet like keys, various new enemies, colour-changing panels that you need to change from blue to yellow.

Spiny Control: introduces spitting things with Yoshi.  Makes you aim what you spit.  Makes you jump and spit.  Oh, and makes you fight a boss where you have to jump and spit while avoiding increasingly complex patterns.

Spin Dig 1:  Introduces Drill Mario.  Makes you use Drill Mario to drill to specific points on the other side of a planetoid (in increasingly complex ways, like drill sequences).  And...gives you a boss with boss patterns to learn.

Spin Dig 2: Introduces using Drill Mario in 2D situations, including stuff like bouncing off of 45 degree slopes.  Introduces Drill Timing, where you need to time your drill so that you don't hit electrical enemies on the other side.  Has a bit of a memory game going, where you need to remember the layout inside of the dirt to figure out where to drill.  Brings back the "collect 5 silver stars" mechanic.  Brings back the "kill a pirhana plant, get a massive vine" mechanic.

Flip Swap Galaxy: Introduces the "shake = platform change" mechanic, and makes you learn to deal with how that interacts with "shake = double jump".  Brings back some more enemies/obstacles.

Fluff Bluff Galaxy: introduces Cloud Mario.  Teaches you that Cloud Mario should fear water.  Brings back some enemies.

Fluff Bluff Galaxy 2: Intorduces this crazy jumping minigame where you're trying to score points by killing lots of enemies quickly and getting combos.  When to jump on enemies heads and when to run collect coins before they disappear.  Completely new skills to learn.

Fluff Bluff Secret: Brings back coin-hungry Lumas.  Makes you search for secrets.  Makes you do "grab this coin formation before it disappears".  Has a basically 2D Cloud Mario sequence.

Rightside Down Galaxy: throws you into a 2D Sequence where you can alter the direction of gravity by flipping switches.  Makes you do problem solving with this mechanic.  Introduces new enemies.  Brings back the fire flower.  Brings back burning through obstacles with the fire flower.  Requires wall jumping (or at least a backflip).  Brings back overhead 2D-Zelda style sequences.  Introduces sideways gravity right at the end.

Rightside Down Secret Star: Brings back "burn some boxes in time X".

Bowser Jr's Flotilla: New boss with new patterns to learn.  Brings back a bunch of old enemies like rotating firewheels.

Interspersed with all this, your spaceship is getting updated and you can learn where everything is, slowly growing your knowledge.  You get to learn a new world map system.  New and old characters get introduced.  Your brain is subconsciously learning new music.

Basically, SMG2 here gives the player new stuff to learn at every star (even the players who've played SMG1).  We can say, with quite a bit of quantifiable measurements to back us up, that the first world of Super Mario Galaxy 2 is "very fun".  (Or, a bit more rigorously, it's very good at creating the play psychological state).

I'm sure there's some skeptics who are saying "so all I have to do is throw 20 different minigames at people?", and no: that would fail badly as game design.  People are attracted to learning things that they feel will be relevant.  In Galaxy 2, the core jumping mechanics, the core navigation mechanics--a.k.a. the core skeleton of player knowledge--remains intact between all of these levels (no water level!!!!)  Even a lot of the new skills end up similar in player execution--Cloud Mario tends to jump and spin.  Shooting with Yoshi is a jump and spin.  The Flip Swap Galaxy is about jumping and spinning.  And with all these power-ups and mechanics there's the promise of "there will be more levels like this later, so you should really learn this mechanic".  All of this comes together to make the brain think "This is relevant information that I want to learn because it will help me later"--a necessary state-of-mind for learning.

Let me end by saying that you don't have to focus on the psychological state of play.  It's hard to imagine a game that would never once put the player into this psychological state, but there are definitely games where the primary focus is on other psychological states, like relaxation or competition or fear.  Certainly not every game has to be Galaxy 2, where the game completely bends over backwards and twists itself in half to give you steady shots of fun at least once per minute.  But that is also a viable game design direction, and something that's handy to have in your game design toolbox.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 05:09:19 PM by metroid composite »

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Game Design Theory -- Pt 2: The psychological state of Play
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 08:46:08 AM »
This popped out at me a bit, for one reason.

the player needs a good deal of self-motivation to either network with people smarter than herself and learn their strategies, or desire to experiment and compare the effectiveness of various strategies knowing full well that most experiments will be failures from which she will learn little.

Modern fighting games in particular tend to create some of this state of learning, particularly when one considers the two main aspects of learning that happen in such games.

1: Dry practice.  This pertains to stuff ranging from combo/setup experimentation to combo practice, pending on whether you experiment or try and grab combo data from a forum (say, Dustloop, SRK, or HomingCancel).  This requires patience, to say the least, and also would in theory involve muscle memory--a form of learning as you learn to reactively or instinctually perform inputs.  Dear god, some of the combos have required a shitload of practice..

2: Experiential learning.  The main benefit of fighting games is that in theory, you will NEVER run out of opponents, assuming it's popular enough and you can find someone other than the computer to play against--and thus put real strategies to test against, as well as experiment and learn tactics that literally cannot be used against a computer opponent; an AI will never attempt to deal with mindgame attempts, as what it typically can do is scripted or reactive.  As such, one can learn a lot from experimentation...and most definitely failure...from this.  Luckily, the advent of netplay has made this far, far easier than it used to be, particularly given that arcades seem to be all but dead in the US at this point in time.  Blame the drug dealers.

Of course, there is another issue when attempting to include learning in a game.  Or possibly two, to be precise, that would inhibit learning in a high-depth environment in particular.

The first of these is frustration.  It's natural and human to become frustrated, particularly at repeated failures.  Frustration is problematic since this will cloud anything that one is trying to learn.  I...don't think I need to really go in-depth on this, everyone's experienced this.

The second would be exhaustion.  Trying to learn too much at once is tiring, and it'll just screw it up.  This is why people always advise you to study well before the last minute, because this sort of thing will bite you in the ass.  Same applies to games, though.  There is just a point where you're not going to be able to learn anymore.  And that's due to tiredness.

The funny thing is that this is merely a natural enforcement to take breaks--and any game that would foster learning would do well to not punish the player for doing just that.  Now, old action and shooter games used to do that all the time, yes.  They could also be beaten in a matter of maybe an hour or two tops, usually, so it wasn't as big of a setback to not have saves.

The modern game, nevermind the category of RPGs since that's a deal of its own, tends to be much bigger.  Running it in a day would be possible...but it'd take up the day.  Most people just don't have time for that.  This is where the wonder of savepoints come in.  These things tend to allow a player to at least stop somewhere near the new stuff they learned or are learning, ensuring they don't have to sit through the tutorial stage every single time they want to play.

This digression aside, the main reason one would desire breaks is to actually further facilitate learning.  This downtime (as well as a degree of energy and nutrition) is necessary to help grow new neural connections, and thus for the typical gamer, both adequate rest and a relatively healthy diet are surprisingly optimal.  Neural links can't just grow from nothing, after all.

TLDR version: Fighting games fit in the high-depth genre, I ended up rehashing a lot of the stuff, and taking breaks actually helps you get better.

Now what the hell prompted me to start rambling in the first place?
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 07:56:57 PM »
Hm, good point about taking breaks.

I remember hearing from a teacher once that if you really want to optimize memory retention, then you want to review the information at the following time periods:

* An hour after it was introduced
* A day after it was introduced
* A week after it was introduced
* And a month after it was introduced

The counterpoint, mind you, would be that if your game is just for silly entertainment, then memory retention isn't actually all that important.  In fact, for something like a Mario game, it might actually be better if your players forget everything after a year (because then they can start over from the beginning and have fun with it again).

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 10:59:46 AM »
It's hard to imagine a game that would never once put the player into this psychological state, but there are definitely games where the primary focus is on other psychological states, like relaxation or competition or fear.

Sadly, it is honestly not that hard to imagine.  Take one hit Hearts of Iron, one part Cities in Motion and make all actions resolved by the exact same Tower of Hanoii puzzle reused over and over.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 01:49:49 PM »
Sadly, it is honestly not that hard to imagine.  Take one hit Hearts of Iron, one part Cities in Motion and make all actions resolved by the exact same Tower of Hanoii puzzle reused over and over.

Tower of Hanoii can totally induce the play psychological state.  I used to love Tower of Hanoii, and did it with higher and higher stacks of rings.  The strategy also changes a lot if you have four poles instead of three.

I mean, if you use strictly 3-ring 3-pole Tower of Hanoii, then yeah, you'll only induce play once (and only in someone who is not yet familiar with Tower of Hanoii) but still....

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 10:39:18 PM »
I do indeed mean the exact same three ring three pole Tower.  Over and over again.  Throw it in as a requirement in a game type that is all about macro management of a ton of small things?  recipe for abject boredom.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.