Author Topic: The Final Fantasy 3/6 Eviltype 1.1 and Variations topic  (Read 27373 times)

SageAcrin

• WATCH OUT! THAT'S HYDRO PUMP!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
Re: The Final Fantasy 3/6 Eviltype 1.1 and Variations topic
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2011, 03:48:38 PM »
Is there really a new version coming soon or was that just a joke comment a while earlier?

The Waddletek I'm still trying to figure out how to work in precisely. I have an idea for it but it would take a spectacular amount of code that I'm not feeling yet, and I haven't come up with anything easier.

So basically, that one's planned but not any time very soon. I do, however, need to upload the version I've got with the Neph/super run tweaks in it though. I forgot I hadn't, frankly. (Edit: And RC5's up. Not a big change set though.)

I Rasped him to death but his AI seemed mostly unchanged from the original? The Life 3 was a cute touch. If you'd rather have him be Rasped I'd just raise his MP a bit, since with the new Rasp it took me about 4 turns.

Nah, people killing pretty fast with Rasp is valid. You'd be surprised how many bosses have status holes in the code.

If you're dedicated and thinking a lot, you can cheese out a lot of Eviltype bosses, something I like to encourage. People can play more fairly or not, as they choose, and some bosses have no holes like this to prevent people from just coasting on status whoring.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 05:03:36 PM by SageAcrin »
<RichardHawk> Waddle Dee looks broken.
<TranceHime> Waddle Dee does seem broken.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2011, 05:04:00 PM »
In the Colosseum, regardless of what you're equipped with and all that, the game forces an extra "Fight" command on the character, cause it just uses Muddle's Script.

So you probably were just unlucky and he kept using that extra "Fight" instead of the real one which was Jump.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2011, 05:06:20 PM »
In the Colosseum, regardless of what you're equipped with and all that, the game forces an extra "Fight" command on the character, cause it just uses Muddle's Script.

So you probably were just unlucky and he kept using that extra "Fight" instead of the real one which was Jump.

Aha. More of that wacky FF6 coding.

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2011, 10:17:12 PM »
Did some more poking around, stole some stuff from Kefka's Tower and the Fanatics' Tower with the Moogle Charm.

**THE TWENTIETH (sort of) DEMON: ICE DRAGON**

Holy shit this guy was a pain in the ass. I'm glad he was still vulnerable to gravity damage because his triple-act Frostbite attacks fucking kicked my ass. I'm glad I had Flame Shields or else I was going to be totally screwed.

**THE TWENTY-FIRST DEMON: TRITOTCH**

Was not expecting Flare and Pearl. Well, he got owned by Debilitator + Water Rondo, so it all worked out. I keep trying all status on bosses now but it seems like he was immune to all of them.

**THE TWENTY-SECOND DEMON: UMARO**

And as I say that, Umaro gets owned by Berserk. I went back to fight him normally, he was pretty easy, especially after the Ice Dragon.

**THE TWENTY-THIRD DEMON: STORM DRAGON**

Not really an issue, his near-death AI is a little nuts though, if he spams his physical a lot there isn't much you can do.

**THE TWENTY-FOURTH DEMON: CHADARNOOK**

Not especially hard either, just took a long time, even with PHANTASM COUNTERS

Random note: the Cursed Ring does not turn Sketch into Control.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 09:18:12 PM by Nephrite »

SageAcrin

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2011, 07:34:43 PM »
Random note: the Cursed Ring does not turn Sketch into Control.

Oops, misprint I guess. May change that, but it's fairly minor all told.

"Forget other people's feelings, this is fun and life is but a game and we nought but players in it.  CHECKMATE!  King me and that is Uno." - Grefter

SageAcrin

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2012, 03:34:20 AM »
Annnd Eviltype 1.1 packed up and shipped off to Romhacking.net.

^_^

MC50

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2012, 09:32:57 PM »
Cool to hear.

I've been meaning to play through this myself at some point. I see that there are four versions. I think I remember trying the White version, though I didn't get too far. Maybe I should just go with the normal one, I assume that's well balanced, though I figured you might have needed playtesting info on some of the others.

I have wanted to play it, though, It'll probably take me a while to do so. Still, when I do, I'll post comments if you're interested.

Also, I've been meaning to update my hack on romhacking.net as well, where did you upload the file too so that they would accept it? The first time around I found some guy who would host it, but he doesn't do that anymore.

SageAcrin

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2012, 12:23:40 AM »
I used googlesites, as the romhacking.net help suggested back when I first did this about four years or so ago. Dunno if it still does, but it still works for me.

Generally speaking, White's been the best playtested-I spent a handful of hours playing on it. Black isn't really a separate version, it's more there if you get bugged by some of the things I didn't nerf, and Ikari's just a combo, so it's probably not a big deal.

In other words, go with the one you want. I like Eviltype normal the most, and the variations were there to approach issues people had with the game, so if the game feels too easy/hard, try a variation. I'm not incredibly worried about testing of them, though I admittedly would like it.

Evil Spilit

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2012, 06:37:03 PM »
I'm totally going to necro this thread because this hack is AWESOME. I'm playing 1.1 (the normal version) and it's literally perfect. Before this hack I never finished FF6 cuz I always got bored with how easy it was, or frustrated with how some things just don't make sense (crappy rages, the evade bug, Relm and Cyan suckitude, etc). The hack is hard, but not frustratingly so - it's just enough to keep me interested.

Right now I'm on Kefka's tower, just about to fight Guardian. I saw him go into "No use!" mode and thought things were broken until I looked on youtube. I'm planning to finish this very soon, although I'll probably branch a save off right before Kefka to go get the rest of the rages and take on the dinosaurs. On the rage note, I've already encountered Allo Ver and Siegfried in Kefka's tower, but still no Chupon - any suggestions on where to find him?

For the sake of feedback and completeness, here are a few random things I love about this hack:
  • Almost all rages are helpful, but the ones I've found myself using most are Osteosaur (Doom/X-Zone), White Drgn (Pearl/Pearl Wind/Counter), Magic Urn (Harvester/Cure 3), Mad Oscar (Bio/Sour Mouth), and Pug (Break/Step Mine). I'm missing a ton of these, including the last few dungeons (Io and Woolly come to mind). Any other standouts people have found that I should be getting? Also, can I get Pugs in this hack?
  • Cyan is REALLY good. Working Gravity spells did wonders for Swdtech 3, and Swdtech 4/7 are much more powerful than before. Cyan's had permanent Bismark since I got the esper, and currently has Strato and an Atlas Armlet, and Swdtech 7 hits for about 4000 x4. This makes him better than Fixed Dice x4 (although Fixed Dice x8 is fun too :) ).
  • Umaro is a beast who has died exactly once so far. He's got Rage Ring/Muscle Belt and sits in the front row doing 4-5k each turn auto-hasted.
  • Wind God Gau is not really that great in this hack. I keep trying to find a use for it, but even in Kefka's tower it's marginal. I used Gau with Stray Cat, Offering and Tiger Fangs (I think? the holy elemental ones) in the Ancient Castle to great effect.
  • I love that Sketch is useful now, although I did give Relm the Gem Box so she's not Sketching too often. There are some cases where Sketch is comedically useless that I feel were put in intentionally (I'm thinking of some undead enemy but I forget which one).
  • I'm still not a fan of the Figaro brothers, but they work. Edgar was awful until he became a Pearl Lance/Dragon Horn dragoon (much later than in vanilla) and inputting Bum Rush on an emulator is still kinda annoying, but both do more than enough damage so it's cool.

Since I'm almost done with this hack, I'd really like to find something similar for the other games I knew and loved but never finished (those being FF4 and FF5). Any suggestions on a similar quality hack for those?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 06:39:15 PM by Evil Spilit »

Sirhc

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2013, 07:52:11 PM »
Hi.
I saw this project, and was looking forward to checking it out, however both the attachment and link on the first post both lead to corrupted archives. Can I get a reup?
Thanks

SageAcrin

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ...Is it smiling...?
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2013, 10:17:45 PM »
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/294/

At this point, it's just simplest to grab it from there. I have a minor alterations beta from the last round of testing, but it's not quite finished yet. (And I'll up it there when it is.)

Just Another Day

• Just Another Dollar
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • (BL)
« Reply #61 on: September 21, 2013, 08:07:52 PM »
I'm right at the end of the standard version of 1.1 -- I've really enjoyed the hack. Done everything except the final boss and SkullDrgn. I have some random (minor) feedback, mostly about steal, and some bugs to report, though! Including a couple major ones which I'll save for last.

Great job, though, overall. Really consistently tough and fun.

- Some common steals of Amulets and (especially) DragonBoots really throw off the money curve towards the end of the WoB. I don't mind money not really being an issue, but with a vaguely capture oriented Locke simply visiting all three towns on the Imperial continent results in effectively unlimited GP, which felt a little odd. Otherwise, having played a steal-centric game I can report that WoB balance for the most part actually felt really good: getting lots of curatives is really useful and feels like a good balance to focusing on a less useful character. And in WoR there are some ridiculous steals but the difficulty is high enough that it doesn't feel undue -- taking the time to steal in a lot of battles can actually be tricky.

- This is probably endemic to the game itself, but Sniper/Offering + capture doesn't work right -- it will attempt to steal until it succeeds at something, and then it will keep attempting but any successful steals will tell you that you got another copy of whatever the first thing you got was (emptying out that enemy), but you'll only ever actually get one item.

- There's an exploit where if you unequip a capture weapon (Guardian or ThiefKnife) mid-battle, capture doesn't revert to steal (or vice-versa).

- More significantly, Atma in the final dungeon has very few hitpoints, probably 1 or 0 -- he dies to the first hit.

- The PlutoArmor rage is broken, one of its abilities screws up the graphics and crashes the game, at least on SNES9.X. Magitec status?

- And SkullDrgn seems to use the same ability, which means I haven't been able to beat it yet. Little frustrating.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2013, 10:51:52 PM »
- This is probably endemic to the game itself, but Sniper/Offering + capture doesn't work right -- it will attempt to steal until it succeeds at something, and then it will keep attempting but any successful steals will tell you that you got another copy of whatever the first thing you got was (emptying out that enemy), but you'll only ever actually get one item.

This is a fairly well known bug since the original FF6.   In short, Capture + Offering is bugged, and it hurts you in multiple ways.  You can't ever actually steal more than one item through it, simply because of how the game handles it or something.  Once you succeed, as you saw, game will tell you that you succeeded in every attempt from there, and the same item, even if Locke steals from a totally different enemy.

What's worse is if Locke does steal from a different enemy after his first success, it counts as a success on that enemy, so the enemy suddenly has nothing to steal.  And no, you don't mysteriously get a 2nd copy of whatever you stole; you only get the initial one.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Reiska

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2014, 01:55:18 PM »
*necropost*

Hey, Sage, did you have any changes for the non-White-EXP-table variants in the 1.11 version?  Thinking of starting a co-op run of Eviltype with a friend of mine.