Author Topic: Let's Play Tragedy Looper  (Read 1738 times)

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
Let's Play Tragedy Looper
« on: December 10, 2014, 09:42:43 PM »
Things have been strange since you found that antique watch.

For starters, you gained the ability to travel back in time.

You don't know how or why, but all that matters is that you have the power. You have the power to change things. Now, when terrible things happen, you have the power to go back and change them. But it seems something has changed. Now, no matter what you seem to do, things seem to keep going wrong. No matter what you do to change the course of events, it seems that you can't avert a tragic end.

You've found others with powers similar to yours. Could there be another who is manipulating things to make sure these tragedies occur?

If there is, then you and your companions must cut the puppetmaster's strings and end this tragic play.

Tragedy Looper is a team game where three heroic time travelers will try to stop an evil mastermind from carrying out his sinister plots.

The trick, of course, is that you don't know what those plots are.

Thankfully, you have an ace up your sleeve: the ability to loop. Even if the Mastermind is able to carry out his dastardly plot, you can go back in time and try again, using whatever information you gained in the previous loop to try and thwart the mastermind. Of course, magic isn't without its flaws. You'll have a set number of loops before the events become set in stone.

Gameplay is pretty simple.

For starters, you win by not losing. If you can prevent all loss conditions in a single loop, you have thwarted the Mastermind and are victorious. If you lose every loop, well... things are pretty bleak. In the normal scripts you will be given a final chance to guess the role of every character in the tragedy and, if successful, the heroes will still win. In these simpler scenarios, you get no final guess.

So, each scenario takes place over a number of days and allows a set number of loops. On certain days, incidents (we'll get to that) may be scheduled to happen.

There are four set locations and a number of characters spread between them. These characters, in addition to their public identities, may or may not have secret roles in the tragedy that grant them additional abilities. There will also be a secret plot and secret subplots. Using information gleaned during the game, the Loopers will (hopefully) be able to figure all of this out.

Each day plays out quite similarly: the Mastermind will secretly play a total of three cards onto either one of the board's four locations or one of the many characters populating the boards. Each of our heroic loopers, starting with the day's leader, will be given a chance to play one card on a location or character. The loopers may only play one card per character/location. So if Looper A plays a card on the student, Looper B may not play there.

So what do these cards do? Move characters, add/remove Paranoia to characters (used in triggering Incidents), add/remove Intrigue to characters/locations (trigger other things), add/remove Goodwill (allows the Loopers to use the character's abilities).

And that's kinda the core of the game. For the most part it is a game of deduction. The full rules are here: http://zmangames.com/rulebooks/Tragedy_Looper_Rulebook.pdf If you are interested in playing, do not read the Masterbook! Since this is a game of deduction, if you know the scripts (and I'll only be using the premade scripts so far) you know the game! Don't do it.

So is anyone interested in playing? I could use three Loopers.

Mastermind: Andrew

Loopers
1. Alex
2. Soppy
3. Mage
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 05:05:29 AM by AndrewRogue »

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Tragedy Looper
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 09:44:39 PM »
I am but a pawn of fate

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 09:57:36 PM »
El Psy Congroo

Magetastica

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 04:56:08 AM »
Nyaha! Count me in!

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 05:06:47 AM »
Well, that was simple. Could ya'll go ahead and read the rules and the ask me if you have any questions. We can actually get started pretty quick.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 07:25:15 AM »
No time to play, but this looks intriguing. Will be following with interest. May draw fanart because I get lots of chances to draw things at school with the kids and I'm tired of drawing Pikachu all the time.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 01:38:38 AM »
Derp
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 06:01:50 AM by AndrewRogue »