Register

Author Topic: What Games ya Playin' 2012 - Suplex a Train Edition  (Read 215188 times)

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
Re: What Games ya Playin' 2012 - Suplex a Train Edition
« Reply #1775 on: August 26, 2012, 04:31:26 AM »
I killed the final primarily with damage even the time I used a party which had poizn (not that poizn wasn't useful of course). The one time I really, really wanted to kill something with poison (the last mark) I just controlled Vanille myself, which given your strategy against the final I would probably have recommended there, too.

The game would have benefitted from in-battle leader switch or an ability to set priority for buffs/debuffs in the menu, though, for sure. (The latter's true of all games with AI, but most other forced-AI games, e.g. ARPGs, tend to have simplistic skillsets such that it doesn't come up as much for them. Not that I won't take FFXIII over any of those, of course.)

EDIT: I tend to agree that Lightning may be the weakest PC in the aftergame? Her main use comes from getting out attacks extremely quickly with certain setups (Attack: ATB Charge II and Faultsiphon combine such that she only uses up 60% of her gauge when attacking). Otherwise, her big main-game thing is doing both strength and magic well but if you're switching teams between fights anyway that niche is somewhat lost.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 04:35:19 AM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Meiousei

• Glaive Slasher
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: August 26, 2012, 07:08:07 AM »
Guild Wars 2 Headstart Day 1:

Servers were up at 9pm PDT exactly. I got the 4 names I wanted before I stuck to my Ranger and played like crazy. Around 6:30am, the log in servers went boom. Prior to that, the game was running pretty smoothly and there was few hiccups compared to what I had been experiencing in the stress tests. For until around 10am, the servers were just kaput. Given that EU was unable to log in earlier then that, it seems to be very worrisome. Eventually, it went up and my boyfriend and I played until it was time to leave.

Zones complete: 1
Story Mode: 4th part

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: August 26, 2012, 10:18:38 AM »
Serious Sam TFE HD: Beaten

screw skeletons
screw bulls

cannonballs cannonballs cannonballs cannonballs cannonballs
I love dem cannonballs
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 11:30:24 AM by Nitori »
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: August 26, 2012, 03:40:36 PM »
I used Lightning/Fang/Vanille. Fang is a scary good syn for the aftergame. Other than that, didn't find the class to be too useful, though I couldn't live without my sab spam in the normal game. Fuck you 13-2 for taking that away from me.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: August 26, 2012, 09:50:37 PM »
Sabs gain a new use in FF13-2 through Wound effects, though that only really comes up against optional DLC fights (Gilgamesh being by far the biggest offender of this bullshit; seriously, what a moronically designed fight), so the aspect is wasted.

As I've said, FF13-2 did 2 things flat out better than FF13 (Party Leader changing, and Party Leader =/= Game Over.  Heck, putting in the former basically means there's no excuse for the lack of the latter, since now you have a mechanic that compensates), but everything else feels overall worse.  The overall nerfs to Synergist and Saboteur combined with how often Commando/Ravager were the ideal classes on all 3 characters vs. Randoms...yeah, its an overall losing trade.  The Monster system was a nice thing to try, but overall think I just preferred 6 genuine characters.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: August 27, 2012, 12:30:10 AM »
NSMB2: Beaten. This includes the Star World and getting every Star Coin/Moon Coin/route. All that's left is to max out my lives for the last star and coin grind until I hit 1 million or get sick of the game.

The level design in this game is quite good, but it felt kinda short. NSMB Wii had the same number of worlds in it, but definately felt like a longer game to me. It's been a year since I played the latter so my memory's not totally reliable here, but I think the levels were longer overall in that. Between the length and the mission pack sequel nature I'd say it's probably not worth paying full price for unless you're a big Mario fan. 2D Mario platformers are my personal favorite videogames of all time so I don't regret the day 1 purchase at all, but the lack of ambition compared to the history of mainline Mario games is pretty noticable. Even NSMBWii as a pure single-player experience had more interesting power-ups added, at least (Penguin Suit! ^_^).

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: August 27, 2012, 01:24:02 AM »
I could never figure out when Orphan was going to use his MT HP-1 (after the first one), so I just used a very defensive setup for the entire fight. Hence poison being my main damage.

Fang/Hope/Vanille looks like the best team by far to me. Sazh is nice when you want a syn with some actual durability instead of Hope, and Snow's perfect if you just want a sitting sentinel for an entire fight (Using Fang as a sentinel is kind of a waste anyway)
Lightning is still very usable thanks to good stats, everybody else is already a com/rav, and she's not even the best at either, and she's a bad med.

I have only 5 missions left, 2 of which I can easily finish if I choose to waste 2 hours of my time. (Ardamantoise and 2x Raktajiva) I don't think I want to get into the griiiiiind for only 3 missions. I like the idea of going that far with a bad team that hasn't mastered any job and hasn't done any upgrading.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: August 27, 2012, 01:31:59 AM »
I beat them all without grinding, but I definitely did do some upgrading.

It's not actually as intimidating as it looks. You know about how organic components raise the multiplier of subsequent components, but the inorganic ones lower it? (Inorganics tend to add much higher bonuses of course.) Because that's pretty much all you really need to know. There's min/maxing you can do involving the "best" components for any given equip, but the gap between best and worst isn't really all that large so whatever; it's mostly there to give OCD perfectionists something to write long FAQs about.

Most weapons with special abilities upgrade at tier 2, and accessories often get quite a lot more powerful (particularly damage-reducers like the Royal Belt, their reduction gets 10% better), so that might push you over the top for some of the tougher missions.

I did master a few primary roles, but only rather late and only because I decided to focus on some of them.

Maybe.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: August 27, 2012, 03:36:19 AM »
Bearsona 4 Bearena:  So many Kanji players...  I hate that aerial leap of his, it's got great range and priority.  Teddie's air-to-air isn't that hot so it's hard to counter.  And once you're on the ground you eat 21-hit red corner combos.  Also been running into the same Chie player a lot and the matches are really fun and nail-biting.

FF13-2: Don't think I ever posted my progress on this.  Up to the part where I'm lost in time and space or something.  Apparently I opened up all the hard gates first.  After I opened up the others I was like oh this is way too easy I should have gone here first.  Tidus Noel is specializing in defensive roles (Sentinel, Synergist, Medic) and Serah is Ravager/Saboteur/Commando.  Don't really know what I'm doing with monsters.  I picked three late-bloomers since I figured they'd be good in the long run, but I'm probably hurting myself in the short run.  Using Nekton, Miniflan, Cait Sith.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: August 27, 2012, 04:09:59 AM »
SH3 challenge log: Salt and murder

One last bit of housekeeping before going to Uyuni Salt Lake: there's an HP+20% accessory (Ashra's Earrings) where Delget was fought. This is kind of a big deal. At the start of Uyuni Salt Lake itself there's a new shop, and it has upgrades for both weapons -and- armour, unusually for the game. This helps a lot! But the enemies have responded in kinda.

Randoms (1 reset):

These guys are a pretty tough bunch. Harukigenias are the small enemy that swarms: fast with low HP. They're more annoying than most because their attacks destroy stock. Thanks guys. They'll also cast Entrance, but this is a complete waste of they cast it on each other as they have no attack magic. If they have allies of different species around, though, they'll target those instead.

Sulagi also doesn't use magic. They just toss respectable physicals around which can add either Apathy (no stock gain, not too bad), or Mental Breakdown (annoying resource tax). They take 2 attacks from Shania, 3 from Johnny to bring down, in general.

Ludiris has physicals which paralyse. This is bad. Very bad. They'll also use Rock Javelin after Entrance (but never otherwise). Entranced Rock Javelin is a 3HKO which is very solid for a random, and is very dangerous if it hits two people.

Finally there's the Ikcheon, a big sack of HP which is also the heavy hitter of the dungeon, with physicals that solidly 4HKO, as well as Hail Exceed, which does the same thing to a line. Flying Shania is immune to this one, though. Their physicals can add Accel Ring (generally worth a status heal). They die in two solid rounds of attacking (Rage Shania, two physicals, Red Bounce) but nothing less than that.

The enemies here and mostly immune to fatal status (only the Harukigenias are exceptions, they can be petrified, but Shania OHKOs them anyway, so Johnny gets Petrify 2 as he can't OHKO them until he gets Rock Javelin mid-dungeon). Fortunately they have a pretty big weakness, as they can all be paralysed, which is pretty much a fatal status (no action for 5 turns). Sadly I don't have Paralysis 2.. having this is pretty much a reward for staying up to date with Natan's UMA hunts, as it's from the UMA in Aito Cave. But Paralysis 1 suffices, and it's always welcome when it kicks in first try on an Ikcheon.

On the other end of things, paralysis can of course ruin my day as well, but accessory slots are pretty valuable. In the end I settle on Shania with a belt, Warning Device, and Small Jug to maximise her offence, while Johnny gets a paralysis blocker and Ashra's Earrings so he can take hits better. He also gets the Panoramic Lens at dungeon's start, followed by Ascetic's Earrings for soul gain once I have a handle on things.

Killer 2

First off, accessory changes: Johnny keeps Ashra's Earrings, gets Blood Jewel and Leonardo's Bear. Shania gets a belt, Leonardo's Bear, and Ascetic's Earrings.

So Killer is kinda the easiest boss since Malice Edna. DL bosses not as impressive as giant monsters.

First of all, his biggest gimmick is that his physicals add instant death. This is terrible so of course I buy an extra Leonardo's Bear and equip them on both PCs. His other attacks are Vice Needle, which makes its return and adds chain status, and Red Gravity, which has a big radius and kills your stock. But luckilly for me, thanks to Ashra's Earrings on Johnny, none of his attacks actually 2HKO anyone. This is hugely liberating. (I should note that according to the stat topic, he does have a 2HKO, but one HP booster and one Shania being Shania nullify this.)

Of course, his Doubles (and to a lesser extent doubleturns) are still evil. Vice Blade into Red Gravity, the chain bonus allows the whole combo to easily OHKO, and takes your stock too since he's a jerk. And I'm absolutely guaranteed to see one, since Killer 2 is the first boss who starts with 2 stock gauges (and for me he went before Shania). It's okay, as long as I'm at full HP when one hits, the surviving PC can resurrect easily enough. Since his damage is low, Johnny can revive Shania with a Talisman of Mercy, which restores 50/60% HP, enough to not die immediately.

However, of course I don't want to see much death anyway, as it gets rid of buffs. Rage and Aqua Edge on Shania are of course good ideas, Arc Gale helps get me more turns, and Arc Shield is a decent filler move since his physicals are close to 2HKO and do overwhelm Arc Cure. Heal with Arc Cure and Cure Plus as needed, Hard Hit whenever I get a sniff of a double coming in the near future, Blood Jewel takes care of Johnny SP while Shania periodically uses Howling for her own. Nothing really new here. Johnny does get more use than normal out of Vacuum, as Red Gravity spam leaves me unable to combo or even hard hit, so Vacuum both acts as a damageless Hard Hit while restoring Johnny's stock, not bad.

There are still a couple hairy points in the battle. The first is when, as soon as Killer drops below half HP, he casts Gale on himself. At this point I have to fight him very defensively, keeping all my buffs in place, healing often, and attacking only when hard hit outweighs other options. Fortunately, it wears off, and then I'm able to continue. The second trouble point is that towards the end, I miss a key ring and he decides to Vice Blade two people and suddenly I'm in a bad place. I fight for something like five minutes with him being at under 400 HP, trying to find an opening between all the forced heals/revives/vacuums. Not too big a deal, just kinda scary. Notably, unlike Delget, I am able to beat him before needing to restore either PC's MP.

Killer's also vulnerable to P-Attack Down, so of course I should have used that! Second boss in a row! I'm definitely looking up the next boss ahead of time, because I know what HE does at low HP. Spoiler: he's a dick.

Levels were 34.

Maybe.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1785 on: August 27, 2012, 05:42:22 AM »
Shadow Hearts 3 - Well fuck yooouuuu!

This may be tricky.

Anyway I will also talk about other games.

Theatrhythm - So I unlocked Kain. Not because I was -trying-, mind. It just happened eventually. So that's all the characters. I'm also working through Ultimate right now. Probably going to give the game a rest... soonish, though I should finish Ultimate and try some stoic first, I think.

Devil May Cry - Replaying this on a NM fresh file, completed the first eight chapters. I have done the first five secret missions (3x Shadows is a bitch) and have managed to S rank every mission but the first two (I was too out of practice then, and the first mission legitimiately seems like one of the hardest to S rank unless you can get the orbs on the foyer statue which I can't). I love Shadows. They are so brilliant.

Maybe.

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: August 27, 2012, 09:29:37 AM »
Disney Epic Mickey - horrific camera and boring fetchquest hubworlds, the best

although if my renegade Mickey punches a reporter it will become instant GOTY
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: August 27, 2012, 07:45:49 PM »
Congrats Fenrir! =)

I have another shiiny video for the Fenrirs  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0bYTXbF9rA&feature=plcp

Should give the gist of the way Mission 62 works. Shows paradigm/equipment set ups at the end. Maxxed out stacked Witch's Bracelets are the way to go ~

I forgot if I/anybody else mentioned it earlier but you can set battle speed to slow in the Config menu if you want.

As for upgrading I usually just buy a full stock of Oils from Creature Comforts, stuff the chosen piece of equipment with them until it has the EXPx3 mod, then feed the equip with Super Conductors/Particle Accelerators/Ultracompact Reactors depending. I do this after I've exhausted the supply of organic materials like Oils in my inventory first  :)

I had a lot of fun on my replay doing most of the missions at Stage 8 Crystarium and finishing the rest off at Stage 9 before the final boss using my Vanille/Hope/Lightning team and exploiting Vanille's Ally KO Power Surges weapon. An interesting way to get lots of damage even pre stagger without Stage 10 mass grinding/Tier 3 equipment maxxing (though I did actually have Tier 3 ultimate weapons because Vanille owns turtles~) Ally KO Power Surge also boosts healing/buff duration as well as offence so yeah it's niice~

For Admantortoise/Mission 63 you can use Vanille leader + summon + debuffs + Death spam if you want :) There's also Death Commando or Highwind smash but those are a bit more advanced.

If you do manage to beat Mission 62/complete the circle of Cieth stones then you can do this ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40gGBgUAvUM

Oh yeah final boss you can do that summon/poison thing in the above video, use the Elixir from Orphan's Cradle and then do it again. You can't be targeted while in Gestalt mode so Vanille just sits there in impunity and completely mocks ID/HP-1. Then for the final form of the boss Vanille's instant death works on it.

Fight the TURTLES! people! Doooooo it!~
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: August 27, 2012, 07:50:38 PM »
Shadow Hearts 3 - Well fuck yooouuuu!

This made me giggle in the bus on the way to work. I salute thee.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: August 27, 2012, 08:08:55 PM »
SRPGs! Woo!

FE10 - Low level challenge run. Never realised how bad 1-F is without either Nailah or Burger King. Started off trying to be defensive and couldn't reach the thieves at all. Then sent Volug/Sothe forwards while keeping everyone else back, still couldn't reach the thieves and also died to the first wave of reinforcements at the start. Then decided to go offensive, which was going great... and then the disc stopped working. Oh ffs. :(

Suikoden Tactics - Started this instead! Yes, I know it's a step down. The NPCs have no eyes and this creeps me the fuck out. First thing I did, naturally, was find a recruitment guide. I am disappointed that this game does not have many characters, it only has more than any other non-Pokemon, non-Suikoden RPG. I am hoping the random quests with randomised results are not important for anything, or I may have to fly to Japan to punch someone.

Pokemon Conquest - So someone decided they wanted to make the perfect game for me, apparently. Fuck-tons of collections, Pokemon and SRPG. I am completely hooked. Just met Nobunaga for the first time, have already filled most of the cities and have found a few potential-100% links.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: August 27, 2012, 09:02:09 PM »
Bearsona 4 Bearena:  So many Kanji players...  I hate that aerial leap of his, it's got great range and priority.  Teddie's air-to-air isn't that hot so it's hard to counter.  And once you're on the ground you eat 21-hit red corner combos.

THIS. Kanjis, so annoying. Furious action is usually an effective counter to the leaping move, but that may vary by PC (I use Mitsuru a lot, who hits a great arc with hers; closer-range FAs may whiff I guess? I haven't used Teddie enough to know). FA is probably my biggest problem in the game, though--I have a tendency to spam it whenever in a jam and burn through my own HP. Need to stop doing that. Yukiko = probably worst possible match against Kanji. That was always death. Try to Fire Amp = Kanji leaps across the room and bashes your face in. And she so needs Fire Amp to get anything done.

Teddie is one of the least-used characters, from what I've seen. Pretty sure Aigis is the least--out of a bit over a hundred matches, I've fought one Aigis. Shadow Labrys is almost as rare. Lots and lots of Yu/Kanji/Yosuke/Chie, which I guess makes sense given the initial story mode character pool.

Cromage

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: August 27, 2012, 11:40:27 PM »
Dwarf Fortress: Masterwork Edition

Despite managing to lose a fortress to a massive (probably caused by the mod) show-stopping bug, I picked this up again a few days ago.

So far, so good, although it seems to love throwing warlock siege after warlock siege at me, more often than not setting the entire map on fire.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1792 on: August 28, 2012, 12:17:25 AM »
I have been playing Earthbound lately, and since it has been a while I am approaching it with a lot more analytical a stance than I did as a kid. I also had been talking a lot about resource management, depth, and giving the player decisions so they kind of came together.

I realize it gets a lot easier from here on but up to Threed, where I currently am, I'm pretty impressed with how the game has been designed to make you manage your limited resources. It pretty much comes down to a few important decisions clearly made early on: inventory with very limited slots and no item stacking, no buyable PP restoration items, and giving Ness the game's strongest (and most expensive) attack spell, but also making him the only guy with healing PSI for a lot of the game.

Mostly, it's just the feeling I get from dungeons in contrast to most games. In most games these days, it's a question of how long it will take me to slog through whatever random encounters the game wants to waste my time on. EB manages to give some sense of tension and such to gameplay with virtually zero actual challenge by making me consider the use of finite resources rather than "I am going to have to spend X on consumables in the next town to refill my baggage train of potions." The very ablative nature actually kind of reminds me of MechWarrior 2, tbh. More importantly, it keeps me from yelling "why are you wasting my time?" whenever it has me fight a thing I have already fought, because the point is to bleed me, which many games seem to forget. Instead, randoms become some kind of cover fee where they are mostly pointless, but you have to spend X time on them to have enough XP that your numbers are big enough to not die in one hit to the boss or whatever.

So yeah, ablative gameplay. Lotta games forget about it, and that's a shame.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: August 28, 2012, 01:25:32 AM »
Shadow Hearts 3: Garland Residence

Not much to collect this time. New lottery offers Cure All which I should probably go get but I was lazy. Cure Plus usually suffices anyway.

Garland Residence is a short dungeon but not a particularly easy one. 1 reset on the randoms.

The two common enemies here are Blupe and Ledope, the latter probably a mistranslation of Redpe, since they're blue and red versions of the same critter. Both have identical (crappy) HP, but Blupes have loads of MDef so they're actually hard to OHKO without a Shania physical. Reds go down to magic pretty easily on the other hand. Blupes will use Hail Exceed (ground spell, so floating Shania helps), ahd physicals which inflicts either Blind Ring (argh) or SP Lowering. Ledopes use Red Gravity for stock breaking, and physicals which inflict either Fickle Ring or Panic. So it's an attack on both Sanity and ring status in general. Their damage tends to hover around 5HKO region, pretty standard.

The third enemy is the Alyosh. They principally use Evil Servant, which does fairly laughable damage to Shania but decent to Johnny (similar to previous enemy damage). Their Blood Loss physical is the real threat, but fortunately they tend to use it almost entire in doubles (unfortunately they start in range to get a double right away often enough). Blood Loss halves target HP after the attack resolves. They never double with Blood Loss -first- as that would be competent, but the end result is that a double from them can do up to 300 damage and invariably leaves the target one hit from death if they survive.

The former swarms, the latter can show up in up to three as well, so to some extent this dungeon is an assault by numbers. Surge (or Entrance) gives Shania the punch to kill Blupes with magic (Ledopes die easily enough anyway). Blupes and Ledopes can be IDed (Johnny gets this), Alyoshes petrified (Shania gets this). Not a terribly bad dungeon once I have the enemies down but it certainly kills me first.

There's a Resurrection stellar in this dungeon. I make absolutely sure to get that, it's huge. Finally both PCs can revive each other effectively!

Tamaris (1 reset)

In many ways the overgrown baby is kind of a wuss by SH3 boss standards. Unfortunately he has one trick which makes him very, very much not a wuss at all on this challenge.

Tamaris mainly attacks with physicals and Bright Decide, which both do 3HKO damage to my beefier-than-normal PCs. He'll peridiocally throw out Panic (SP poison) off 3x-recoil. Panic isn't tooo bad, but on the refight I do equip accessories to block it as it is nice not to worry about. Also, as you'll see below, I don't want to rely on the Blood Jewel for once. If he doubles, then usually he uses a physical + Bright Decide, which again isn't fatal at full HP (though being even slightly below full is good enough... notably, Arc Cure does not restore enough to be at full). Once I see him use Bright Decide into Holy Pulse, which certainly IS fatal, on the other hand.

One of Tamaris' tricks is that he counters buffs, like Daoros. Fortunately the only buffs he uses are Shield and Barrier, in that order, and in alternation. These make him slightly tankier but it's really not worth caring about. The bigger concern is using them IS a boost to his stock gauge, but the good news is it resets the charge time for his next turn. (They're extremely fast actions so this is only rarely in my favour, and is definitely AGAINST my favour soon after he Doubles, so I avoid buffing then). If he had Rage/Surge/Gale on his buff list this would be a much nastier trick!

So anyway, I fight him a lot like I do Killer 2... same basic strategy of controlling stock applies, with the caveat about buffs as mentioned. And sure enough I get him down to below 25% HP.

The first turn Tamaris gets below 25% HP, he will use Spirit Ward. This erases one target from the battle. This is terrible. Endless 4D Pocket. The surviving PC simply has no chance... it's impossible to effectively survive against a boss who constantly 3-2s even if he only 3HKOs. I'm heal-locked until he Doubles at which point I die. I don't see any good way out of this.

The solution, of course, is to make sure Tamaris never gets a first turn below 25% HP. 950 HP isn't so big a range that I can't overcome it with the game's combo system.

Yes, I've mostly been ignoring the combo system in boss fights so far (a botched ring on one can be completely disastrous) except to craftily sneak in some turns in desperation sometimes (but the inability to use anything but direct offence which does NOT hard hit limits their utility). Here it's crucial though... I have to roll the dice when Tamaris nears red HP and kill him before he gets a turn.

It's actually not too bad. I level Ta'tanka's skills up to max for Rumble Roar (L3 dark spell off Shania's best offensive stats). All I have to do is make sure both Johnny and Shania are in Surge status for the final push. Shania doubles Rumble Roar into Current Breath, Johnny D-combos Hail Exceed into Evil Servant, then Shania combos again. This actually overshoots the required amount by a fair ways (around 300 HP), and I probably could have snuck in more with some crafty but risky use of Entrance (risky due to the counter it draws).

Only other real thing to note about this fight is that in order to make the final push, I do need to keep my stock high.... which isn't too bad, just avoid hard hitting with Shania right towards the end.

Tamaris' only status hole is Blood Loss, and I do use it on the first attempt. Blood Loss has a very low chance to half the target's HP, which sounds great until you realise it just will knock him into Spirit Ward territory when you least want this to happen. Winning run, I park that noise.

Levels were 36.

Maybe.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: August 28, 2012, 02:26:33 AM »
Teddie is one of the least-used characters, from what I've seen. Pretty sure Aigis is the least--out of a bit over a hundred matches, I've fought one Aigis. Shadow Labrys is almost as rare. Lots and lots of Yu/Kanji/Yosuke/Chie, which I guess makes sense given the initial story mode character pool.

I'm up to 75 matches and not a single Mitsuru.  Really.  Only 1 Shadow Labrys also.

Niji

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: August 28, 2012, 09:10:06 AM »
Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten

Well I am surprised it took me so long to find out that Pleinair is actually the rabbit plush she holds and the "girl" is the "doll."
(though one could argue she is instead like kororo or koroko/puppetgirl trope)

Having a blast mindlessly power leveling to unlock classes, desco is definitely my mana whore <3
Currently at: 5-4; grinding on rank 8, 5-2.

Discovered a lot of new shops in the item world this time around...did NOT know you could buy save portraits for your DLC characters! SQUEEE now to save up the.....10billion hell to afford them XD

Discovered how amazing the gunner class is for leveling, never miss and always crit following one of their atks? Yes please, so easy to level my lvl 1 mages on rows of enemies now XD
Still trying to figure out how to expand my mana pyramid and Training gym. Assuming some RNG luck in the chara world.
2D/2.5D RPGs, Platformers, Action-RPGs, Brawlers are my bag! Minor Video Game knowledge outside of those!

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: August 28, 2012, 06:43:14 PM »

I'm up to 75 matches and not a single Mitsuru.  Really.  Only 1 Shadow Labrys also.

This is surprising. Mitsuru, outside her strict timing on combos, is a pretty broken and starigthforward character.
She can be effective even just doing some basic poke poke poke.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: August 28, 2012, 07:02:17 PM »
Niu you slacker, check the ToG topic.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: August 28, 2012, 07:11:41 PM »
I'm mostly seeing Yu and Yosuke online.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: August 29, 2012, 07:22:37 AM »
Ys 7:
Awesome game, highly recommended.  Just plain fun.  It's Secret of Mana if it was much, much faster paced and combo moves didn't involve a boring charge-up but rather just hitting a button + depleting a meter.  And I like Secret of Mana anyway!  Having AI characters almost never take damage is genius, it means your AI helpers are just that and you don't have to worry about micromanaging them, and the game can balance around you basically having 3 lifebars.  Music was awesome as usual for Ys.  And the plot & characters are actually worth a damn, which is something.  Ys 7 goes a few places many other games don't and avoids a few uber-generic for Japan plot paths in favor of something that's ultimately still a bit flawed, but cool & flawed rather than yawn, so hey.

Anyway.  Nitpicks.  The good news is that level is far less a god stat than other Ys games.  Flip side, while the game is far better than the earlier Yses on this, it still has the problem that random enemies are too easy and bosses are a tad hard.  Oh sure, a few of the rando-Titanos are potentially challenging, and they're all FUN to fight, but you can play a tad on the lazy side and still have the HP-restore on level-up keep you in good health just fine.  It'd have been nice if the game let you train up on how to fight the next nasty random baddie, then decide to swarm you with 4 of 'em at once and see how you handled it.  Make things more intense.  Of course there's Hard & Nightmare mode, but the bosses were balanced just fine as is, and not sure I want to pump them much more.  On the boss note, I kind of appreciated the purity of Ys I / II / Oath boss fights where you must win on your own merits (or get a single extra level then roflstomp).  Still, items make things far more sane, although I tried to defeat most bosses without use of 'em.  (This stopped being practical in the back half of the game, but I tried to minimize it.  Only battle that really exhausted my supply was the final sequence.)  Also, I think the auto-targeting may have been a little TOO nice in the game.  I wouldn't have minded watching my special moves not be aimed correctly and whiff more often, but there's definitely some lenient "let me point your character in the right direction," especially for the more close range moves.

Plot, eh.  Weirdly enough harder to rant on since there are actual spoilers for Ys 7 unlike some of the earlier Ys works, but suffice to say I don't like the direction they took with their villains at the very end because we want to make everyone more sympathetic or something.  But whatever, the villains are pretty awesome anyway, I just really wanted to kill them dead as murderous evil nutbags and not compliment them as noble opponents.  Maybe I'll ramble more later.  I still liked it, overall.  Although damnit Japan silent heroes are not a good idea and you should stop doing them.  (Adol talks in Ys3 SNES!  Such a sad regression.)

My usual few random music links:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCtQ79yp34s (regular boss theme)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zre2BjntVYA (Fantastic despair theme used in the back half of the game)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNEcBbzX2m4 (duel with Geis, the arena Titano, & plot battle with Mr. Spoiler)

Adol is 1/4 on drowning so far for me, just Ys 1.  Niu you liar.  (OTOH, Ys 7 also lacks an abandoned monster infested mine, cutting Adol's rate there down to 3/4.  What?!  Okay there's two mountain tunnels but they're short and not mines.  Weird.)

Tactics Ogre PSP:
Oh god, the nightmare returns.  But...  I must face my foe.  The one that vanquished me.  Luckily it looks like insta perma-death is out and training is out, so that's something.

....and the game starts off with 3 autobattles followed by spreadsheet hero.  Oh boy.  I hire some reserves & equip them since I'm told battles require 10 people and that guests won't count, then have the game go lol trolled u on the 10 people thing.  I wasted my money because we really meant 6 people.  Charming.  (Although preferable I suppose.  I don't want to manage a lynch mob.)