Author Topic: What Games are you Playing 2017?  (Read 49798 times)

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
Re: What Games are you Playing 2017?
« Reply #1100 on: December 15, 2017, 03:57:09 AM »
Xenoblade 2 looked like trashy anime from the moment we first saw it. I don't know why they decided to go this direction. They had a perfectly acceptable non-trash anime aesthetic going on before.

This current style is like... Nowi-level terrible.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: December 16, 2017, 09:57:44 AM »
Xenoblade 2 looked like trashy anime from the moment we first saw it. I don't know why they decided to go this direction. They had a perfectly acceptable non-trash anime aesthetic going on before.

This current style is like... Nowi-level terrible.

One problem that Monolith has right now, admitted by Takahashi, is that they lack a well known recognizable artist for their character designs.
So he fetch people from outside to make things work.

And I guess Takahashi just made the logical decision in his choice. Because you know how players in Japan when they see large eye moe girls.
As for Nomura, Takahashi knows the guy, which is why. And having a recognizable artist working on the design is Takahashi's original goal, so Nomura is like a very obvious choice.

So basically, Takashi wants a brand and a style that can appeal to the masses. Simple as that.
And how disagreeable you may be on his choice... it DOES work in attracting the players.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 10:00:02 AM by Niu »

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1102 on: December 16, 2017, 06:12:17 PM »
I dunno... looking like everything else doesn't seem like a great plan for creating a recognizable brand...

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: December 16, 2017, 08:24:49 PM »
What an odd thing to say...

I just assume any statement in the format of "Of course [ridiculous thing X] happened, because Yoko Taro" is automatically explicable no matter how ridiculous X is, because Yoko Taro. Hasn't felt out of place yet, doubt it's gonna.

Anyway. Muscled through ending A, vaguely annoyed at unfinished sidequests being cut off by The Dark Colossus Destroys All Most, but apparently it doesn't matter in the long run. Stopped for the night after accidentally getting ending G twice in a row because it's not terribly clear there what's out of bounds. The physical inconvenience of being a Fisher-Price robot are keenly felt, game. I also forgot to mention how much the dead aliens reminded me of the claymation space iguanas from Laserblast (which Leonard Malten thinks is a better movie than Nier: Automata).

Is there anything in this game that item spam doesn't work against? So far it's compensated ably for my incompetence at action games.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: December 16, 2017, 09:35:36 PM »
Is there anything in this game that item spam doesn't work against?

NOPE

Item spam is your friend.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: December 16, 2017, 09:54:10 PM »
So basically Xenoblade's character design quality now matches it's battle and system design quality?
...into the nightfall.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1106 on: December 17, 2017, 12:41:39 AM »
So basically Xenoblade's character design quality now matches it's battle and system design quality?

Savage! I guess if XBC's vaguely "ATB w/ free movement" system doesn't appeal to you, then... No. Still no. Even if you abhor XBC's battle system and MMO-like exploration, they aren't openly trashy like XBC2's character designs. (And reportedly XBC2's battle system is a bit more refined, so if anything the gameplay is -better- than before.)

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: December 17, 2017, 01:19:54 AM »
I actually think XB- minus graphics and to a lesser degree music and exploration- basically has nearly the worst of everything of all the RPGs I've ever played. That said, I really should have said that the character design now matched the quality of the writing, because that was really my biggest beef with XB.
...into the nightfall.

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: December 17, 2017, 03:02:24 AM »
My post wasn't really serious at all but Niu basically sums it up.  Xenoblade 2 is a product much like Fire Emblem Awakening/Fates where they needed an artist(s) to appeal to the masses because they didn't have stable recognizable brand. 

My joke was all the main characters are cute anime girls while all the bad guys were bishie pretty boys.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: December 17, 2017, 07:39:46 AM »
Why aren't people mentioning that XB2 has a garbage of user interface?
It also has bunch of tiny annoy user unfriendly scattered all over the place as if it is a unpolished game from 2 decades ago?
The core system is okay I guess. But it totally fails at optimization to the point that Takahashi is preparing a patch to fix them.

And the plot in XB2, oh god. It is almost a chimera. Takahashi clearly wants to do a philosophical and melancholy filled story XG style. Yet for some reason he tries to force that into a cute and colorful anime motif, thus ends up half baked on both ends. I feel like banging my head to he wall whenever game can pulls a super depressed apocalyptic revelation a moment before and revert to some happy go lucky anime stuff jusr a few moments later.
....But I somehow can't blame him on this. What he wanted to do already failed him twice, while what he should do to maintain sales is something that's so distant away from how he feels.

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: December 17, 2017, 08:18:48 AM »
Well the menu button doesn't open the goddamn menu.  This isn't the Wii, put the goddamn menu on the X/Triangle button.

Also to powerup the steampunk KOS-MOS character you have to play a shitty 8 bit mini-game that kicks you out every you fail or win.  You have to play this minigame around 20 or more times to get any real use out of her.  So all the time loading back into the minigame adds up over time.  She's also your primary tank character so you kind of need to if you don't want a shitty team comp.

If you miss any tutorial, too bad because there's no way to view it again.  If you want to understand the gameplay mechanics, you either have to learn by brute force or watch a youtube video.

The longer you play, the worse the texture pop up gets.  There's a serious memory leak that can crash the game after extended periods of time.  There's no auto save, so you can lose hours of progress.

All of this shit can be fixed with a patch, and I like the core gameplay and characters.  Of course I'm not triggered by whacky anime hijinks or out of place boobies.  There is a dick joke in the game so Grefters beware.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1111 on: December 17, 2017, 10:23:23 AM »
I actually think XB- minus graphics and to a lesser degree music and exploration- basically has nearly the worst of everything of all the RPGs I've ever played. That said, I really should have said that the character design now matched the quality of the writing, because that was really my biggest beef with XB.

Okay. I get it. Something about XB ticked you off. Still, I doubt that an overwrought version of The Hero's Journey, no matter how cliche or boring, is somehow worse than this:

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: December 17, 2017, 03:56:57 PM »
Her waist is an ostrich neck.

EDIT: I'm not shrinking the picture, you're dealing with this fucking giant ostrich.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: December 17, 2017, 05:35:54 PM »
I have no issue with a giant ostrich.

Savage! I guess if XBC's vaguely "ATB w/ free movement" system doesn't appeal to you, then... No. Still no. Even if you abhor XBC's battle system and MMO-like exploration, they aren't openly trashy like XBC2's character designs.

I don't have a big problem with the writing (not that it's a huge point in the game's favour either; as time goes by it's pretty clear Takahashi either just got lucky with Xenogears or had some other clever writers on his staff) but I'm with Dhyer here: the original Xenoblade's battle system is that bad. You call it "ATB with free movement" but the movement of the game is a complete joke, as it's basically all an illusion. The mechanic where you can't hit something that outlevels you is awful, and the mechanic where the game interrupts the battle for like 10-15 seconds to tell you "WATCH OUT THIS DAMAGE IS COMING", which is the game's signature mechanic, is a pointless waste of time 9 times out of 10. I think it's pretty easy for a bad battle design to be as bad as, if not worse than, a bad character design, because the former is just more impactful on a game.

Similarly, while I don't personally think Xenoblade's writing is that bad, it's easy enough for a game with bad writing to have that bad writing be more important than any bad character designs.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: December 17, 2017, 08:49:31 PM »
Hey, don't forgot the mechanic where when you fight a really tall enemy, the camera pans upward so you can't see your allies...in a game where you have to be standing basically right on top of an ally to revive!
...into the nightfall.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: December 17, 2017, 09:40:51 PM »
Hey, don't forgot the mechanic where when you fight a really tall enemy, the camera pans upward so you can't see your allies...in a game where you have to be standing basically right on top of an ally to revive!

We Camera Souls now?
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: December 17, 2017, 10:38:22 PM »
Fortnite - I doubt anyone else cares about this thing, but some patches have helped it a ton.  I am still a bit burned out, but brother is enjoying it so have that and we got some more people playing so there is likely going to be people to play with so I guess I grind forever.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: December 17, 2017, 10:41:29 PM »
Nier Automata: I am lost in sidequest land. Most of what I have left right now, I don't see any map indicators to complete, so I guess I should move on with plot (just unlocked fast travel to make the grind easier). The Comb the Desert sidequest that I've completed hopefully 2/3 of can go jump in a pit of burning fire that burns, except I guess it did prompt me to find the graveyard of giant Emil heads so maybe that's something.

Parasitic healing + the "don't get hit for a couple seconds -> get sustained passive healing" skill is just a stupidly good combo.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: December 17, 2017, 11:07:13 PM »
We ain’t found shit?
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: December 18, 2017, 02:50:10 PM »
I knew it.  I’m surrounded by assholes.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: December 18, 2017, 04:52:21 PM »
Ludicrous speed...GO!
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: December 20, 2017, 04:48:39 PM »
So on Jim's recommendation I picked up Hollow Knight on sale a bit ago. At first brush, I did not like it. The starting two zones were too large, movement was too slow, combat was too bland with no real options or tools to work with. And the game handed out upgrades with the disdain of a miser being asked for change. One at the end of the first zone that didn't even help exploration or movement. One at the end of the second zone that did(a dash which can in fact be an air dash) but the kicker there was that you couldn't use that to get somewhere FROM the second zone. You had to go back to the first and take a different way out of there. Remember, huge zones with slow movement right now.

Then in the third zone you can do, the game cracks itself wide open and remembers that games are supposed to be fun. You get the wall jump and from there you can basically go anywhere. With that wall jump in hand(or perhaps on foot) you can go to the place you get a weapon upgrade! You can go to various places where you can finally get your HP upgraded, or your MP upgraded, or more charm slots(and, you know, more charms to put in them) so you can have actual options.

Once the game really gets running, it's one of the best metroidvanias I've played. But those first two areas are slow, large and kinda bland, like the game is making you pay a boredom tax before it lets you get to the good shit. I will absolutely recommend it to anyone who likes metroidvanias with the warning that the start is slow, so if that's a deal breaker then stay away. But the platforming is fun once you have the tools for it, and the boss fights are pretty much all in that "rough but fair" zone that is kinda ideal for these types of games. Very few bosses have I beaten try 1, I usually lose a couple times, turn the game off for a bit to take a break, come back and beat it first or second try on the next play session.

<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: December 21, 2017, 09:11:13 PM »
Nier Automata: Cruising toward B ending. Reuse of material is a mainstay of Yoko Taro games, so I'm hardly surprised to see that the B route is mostly the A route with a different perspective, but it's nice how at least all the later boss encounters have been substantially different scenes than they were first run. Also, the big twist was expected, but no less consequential for it:

After the aliens turned out to all be dead, it seemed a given that all the humans would be too. Not solely because Papa Nier's actions essentially doomed humanity to a slow death, but more principally because the symmetry of having two camps of artificial lifeforms fighting pointlessly on behalf of dead creators was too clearly appropriate for the game's themes. How was a game so obsessed with existentialism not going to have your mission be hollow by design? None of this is criticism, because far from there being anything wrong with the audience figuring something out before the characters do, it can be a powerful source of drama if properly exploited. It's genuinely sad to see people start to figure out that their entire mission was a lie perpetuated solely to give them a reason to live.

Also I think I got spoiled at some point on the last boss being another android or something. I can only assume it's the commander, because we already fought A2 and she was a pushover.

Map is cleared of sidequests other than Speed Star, which is 100% fuck that race. I already FAQed your quest, guy, you don't give me a weapon so go to hell.

The soundtrack selections in the tourney mostly had me thinking "This is okay but the original Nier soundtrack was so much better," (other than A Beautiful Song, which was just how in the hell are you mooks not voting for this?) It's a testament to the effectiveness of music in context that I am starting to reverse that position.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: December 22, 2017, 10:04:37 AM »
30+ hours and two (real) endings in, the game gives me a title screen like we're just getting started.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: December 22, 2017, 02:44:40 PM »
South Park Phone Destroyer:  Not sure what to compare this to.  Closest analogy would be tower defense?  You play characters from your hand and then they waddle autonomously towards the enemy leader to punch them to death.  It's almost all PVP, which I usually don't like.  But it's amusing me for the time being.

Dragon Project:  This is unashamedly a mobile MMO Monster Hunter clone.  Except there's no chasing monsters across maps for hours, so it's less tedious.  Controls are good, and the Fashion Souls is strong.