Register

Author Topic: Posting On The Wiki  (Read 12446 times)

Taishyr

Posting On The Wiki
« on: December 30, 2008, 03:11:01 PM »
Yeah, it's been a pain till now, but Hal, Our Dear Friendly Moderator And Hat Awesome Guy, has made unto us this day a converter, so that we may transfer data and everything to the wiki, with very little huss and fuss over any of it.

http://www.rpgdl.com/wiki/BBwiki.php <--- the converter. C/P the BBCode text and it'll come out as Wikicode.

http://www.rpgdl.com/wiki/index.php?title=Sandbox <--- at the bottom is the PSIV topic. See how well it transferred after being put into the converter!

http://www.rpgdl.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page <--- So go here and start putting stuff on the Wiki!

The only thing that doesn't work directly is pictures, but you can just upload them at...
http://www.rpgdl.com/wiki/index.php?title=Special:Upload !

Halbarad

• Youkai of the Boundary
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Posting On The Wiki
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 03:20:42 PM »
Direct links are also a bit screwed up, but they're not terribly hard to format and most topics will have few or none. Proper format for an external link is:

[link to site|text for link]

If you don't want text for the link, just include the URL by itself and the wiki code should handle the rest.
- Have you ever contemplated suicide?
 - Frequently. But only for others.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 09:35:19 PM »
Awesome!  I'll try this out later.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 09:31:00 PM »
http://www.rpgdl.com/wiki/index.php?title=Stat_Topics

There's already a location to put stat topics; most of these seem to be old conversion attempts with bad formatting (except Lufia 2 and DQ4).

Something to consider: Subheadings
i.e.
==Mechanics==
==Characters==
===Maxim===
===Artea===
==Averages==

These seem like a good idea for a few reasons.  First because they provide an automatic table of contents.  Second because they allow people to edit one small subsection rather than the entire document.  Unfortunately they'd have to be put in by hand (since a wiki converter won't be smart enough to realize when one character starts and another character ends) but many games have a mercifully short castlist.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 09:33:01 PM by metroid composite »

Taishyr

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 09:36:20 PM »
mc: We were throwing stuff on there just before the old forums got locked down for a while. We'll likely be redoing them with better formatting now that we have this tool.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 10:20:08 PM »
Lufia 2 I just added today. Working on formatting it right (Section foreach PC).
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 04:10:41 PM »
http://www.rpgdl.com/wiki/index.php?title=Stat_Topics

There's already a location to put stat topics; most of these seem to be old conversion attempts with bad formatting (except Lufia 2 and DQ4).

There should be a few fairly-complete ones. I know Tai and I worked pretty hard on getting some of them up. Chrono Trigger, ToP, Golden Sun should be in good shape, at least.

Taishyr

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 04:16:44 PM »
Chrono Trigger PC side, yeah. Bosses are a mess but that'll be fixed soon.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 06:57:11 PM »
http://www.rpgdl.com/wiki/index.php?title=Lufia:_Rise_of_the_Sinstrials Should I give the temps their own subsections (IE Lufia2/Temps) or no? The post runs a bit long as it is.

Oh yes, I'm going to start wikiing some topics as I have time in lab. I'm dragooning Lady Door to (hopefully) help me edit and make sure there are no mistakes.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2009, 10:22:33 PM »
I suggest this:

-Mechanics
-Permanent Characters
--Maxim
--Guy
--Selan
--Artea
--Averages
-Temporary Characters
--<whatever characters there were, put averages with each character>
-Bosses

Seems like the best way to do it.

Another neat thing about the wiki is you can make a seperate page for each character, which you can use to post more equipment options/notes/etc. in.  If you do that, you can put averages in each character's page.  Makes it easy to look at only one character.  But that's something that is unimportant.

Taishyr

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2009, 10:33:52 PM »
Seconding Tal. That's probably the easiest format method.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 12:17:23 AM »
http://www.rpgdl.com/wiki/index.php?title=Etrian_Odyssey_II:_Heroes_of_Lagaard

EO2 topic.  Not entirely finished organizing but mostly done.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 02:20:04 AM by Talaysen »

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 03:50:35 AM »
I uploaded OK's Disgaea1 and DQ8 topics today, as well as Dhyer's Disgaea2 topic. Used the converter for the major sections and then manually edited in headings, took out text referencing forums/posts, moved some information into different headings for clarity on the wiki. Can someone double-check these for formatting errors? The Japanese computer I'm using is incapable of displaying when text is bolded and it may also be displaying headings incorrectly, so check those especially, please! :D

EDIT: Add Sage's Valkyrie Profile topic to that list. Noting that the Boss page has no PC damage averages for the bosses, but otherwise that topic is actually very complete. I may edit the equipment notes into individual characters' sections later to make it more closely resemble other topics. (23 characters is larger than most casts, but it's not Suiko/FE-sized. I think the page can handle some duplication of information so that it's possible to see -all- of a single character's attributes without skipping all over the page to look for different equips and such.)

-Djinn
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 07:08:10 AM by DjinnAndTonic »

Taishyr

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 03:53:01 AM »
I'll glance at 'em tomorrow and get back to you.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 08:08:41 PM »
Djinn: I took a quick look over the pages.  A couple of things stand out that I think could be better.

1) Lots of white space.  <br/> before/after headers are redundant and just make the page longer.  More than two <br/> tags in a row also does it, but I don't recall that actually being a problem.  Of course, if you're too lazy to actually remove them, I completely understand.  But just pointing this out in case you care.

2) Use ==stuff== for headers, not <h4>stuff</h4>.  For subheaders, use ===stuff===, =====stuff=====, etc.  The formatting ends up better that way.  I think <h4> might correspond to ====stuff=====, so maybe starting at <h2> or something does the same thing?  I dunno, if you like the <h#> tags, look it up, but I'm pretty sure <h4> is starting at a lower level and it looks weird (e.g. the headers that are smaller than the rest of the text, instead of being bigger like they should be).  If you don't want to fix the ones you already put up, don't bother, but it'll help for future topics.

3) Yeah, character pages are cool, so go ahead and use them if you're feeling nonlazy.  You can keep relevant info on the main page (such as raw stats and damage), but put stuff like equipment options on the individual pages.  Though in some cases you may just want to move everything to character pages, but I think the ones you ported are fine with partial stuff on the main page since the casts aren't big (VP... maybe, do whichever you think looks best).  Character pages also let you create a template and just plug in a bunch of variables to create the individual pages for you, but it's not really worth it unless you're building a stat topic from scratch (otherwise you just c/p everything from the old topic anyway).

4) Nice job with the pictures.  I like where you put them.  No, that's not criticism but I felt like I needed to say it.

5) More bolding to distinguish when stuff like stats end and equipment begins and equipment ends and skillset begins, etc.  Makes reading easier.  (This is helpful in normal stat topics too.)  Using headers may or may not be a good idea there.  Depends on the topic itself.  If you move into character pages, then headers are usually good for that.

Anyway, that's all I can think of right now.  This is meant to give some ideas on how to better format the entries.  I'm not trying to bash your effort here, because I really do think you did a good job.  Just there's always ways to improve, right?

Oh, and if you were planning on porting any of mine over, please ask me first.  I may want to do it myself, though I may also not care.  (I can't stop you from doing it but it'd be nice.)

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 05:58:50 AM »
1) Lots of white space.  <br/> before/after headers are redundant and just make the page longer.  More than two <br/> tags in a row also does it, but I don't recall that actually being a problem.  Of course, if you're too lazy to actually remove them, I completely understand.  But just pointing this out in case you care.

Okay, good to know, I don't see any giant white spaces on this computer, but it displays things oddly... I'll be fixing this.

2) Use ==stuff== for headers, not <h4>stuff</h4>.  For subheaders, use ===stuff===, =====stuff=====, etc.  The formatting ends up better that way.  I think <h4> might correspond to ====stuff=====, so maybe starting at <h2> or something does the same thing?  I dunno, if you like the <h#> tags, look it up, but I'm pretty sure <h4> is starting at a lower level and it looks weird (e.g. the headers that are smaller than the rest of the text, instead of being bigger like they should be).  If you don't want to fix the ones you already put up, don't bother, but it'll help for future topics.
I picked up the <h4> tags from Tai's original templates. I'm not sure what they actually look like since all headings display the same on this computer. If you could confirm for me that <h2> tags are what I need, this is a simple MS Word Find->Replace fix.

5) More bolding to distinguish when stuff like stats end and equipment begins and equipment ends and skillset begins, etc.  Makes reading easier.  (This is helpful in normal stat topics too.)  Using headers may or may not be a good idea there.  Depends on the topic itself.  If you move into character pages, then headers are usually good for that.
I'm not messing with any bolding/italicizing/underlining from the Stat Topics and I simply can't see the difference once it uploads on the wiki... Sorry.

This is meant to give some ideas on how to better format the entries.  I'm not trying to bash your effort here, because I really do think you did a good job.  Just there's always ways to improve, right?
Right! :D

Oh, and if you were planning on porting any of mine over, please ask me first.  I may want to do it myself, though I may also not care.  (I can't stop you from doing it but it'd be nice.)
Sure. I probably should have asked OK, Dhyer, and Sage before I started porting their topics, but I thought that if I just waited around for replies that I'd get lazy/uninspired and nothing would get done.

-Djinn

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 08:25:00 AM »
Okay, good to know, I don't see any giant white spaces on this computer, but it displays things oddly... I'll be fixing this.

Your computer is weird.  Out of curiosity, know what's special about it that would cause that kind of weirdness?

I picked up the <h4> tags from Tai's original templates. I'm not sure what they actually look like since all headings display the same on this computer. If you could confirm for me that <h2> tags are what I need, this is a simple MS Word Find->Replace fix.

Uh... I guess I can look into it later.  Wikipedia might know, though.

Be careful with MS Word though.  It screws up apostrophes and quotation marks, though the wiki might fix that again anyway.  I don't know.  (Open Office usually works fine though.)

I'm not messing with any bolding/italicizing/underlining from the Stat Topics and I simply can't see the difference once it uploads on the wiki... Sorry.

Fair enough.  Don't worry about it then.  Though, keep it in mind if you ever end up using a computer that can see the difference.

If I get unlazy I might go around and reformat some stuff.  Unlikely but you never know.

Sure. I probably should have asked OK, Dhyer, and Sage before I started porting their topics, but I thought that if I just waited around for replies that I'd get lazy/uninspired and nothing would get done.

Well, I wouldn't have been too upset if you went ahead and did one of mine before I suggested you ask first.  But since I've actually been making a habit of putting stuff on the wiki lately, it's somewhat likely I'll get to mine myself anyway.

I don't think OK, Dhyer, or Sage would be too upset with you porting their stuff over, since I don't think any of them are bothering with the wiki right now.  And if they do, you can always just delete them I guess.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 09:42:48 AM »

Your computer is weird.  Out of curiosity, know what's special about it that would cause that kind of weirdness?

I think it's because it's a Japanese OS or because it's a Japanese copy of IE.