Register

Author Topic: What games are you playing 2022: No to stat bloat since the turn of Millenia  (Read 8793 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Pokémon Ultra Sun- fin

Mm.  I remember Moon being a bit easier?  But also I remember moon very badly overall, I'm not 100% on what even is new.  Also I might have just... not had a very suitable team.

Decidueye- Love this guy, but definitely kinda flawed for standard play.
Dugtrio- Really useful, but gosh just useless before evolving and persistent problems with dying easily.
Persian- Faded out pretty bad over time, but I ran fakeout the whole game which has plenty of edge cases.
Noivern- Utterly useless before evolution, then suddenly becomes a pretty reliable Air Slash spammer.
Araquanid- Kinda filler, the offenses just aren't good and while the defense is okay bug is gonna bug as a defensive type.
Zygard- this was the level 100 promotional I got when those were handed out like... whenever this game was new, which is cool except its treated as a trade pokemon and you don't get to control up to level 100 until you beat the elite 4.  So...
Necrozma- we just subbed this guy in.  About as good as the box legendary always is honestly.

Anyways, it's alright.  Just kinda alright.  I'm not sure this really changes my memory of Gen 7 overall, it's cool they tried some stuff but I'm not sure totems really worked as a concept overall.  The ultra wormhole stuff added for Ultra is... there?  I feel like this game goes a little harder on trying to redeem/justify Lusamine than the base games did which... isn't great.  But eh that's such a small part of the game it doesn't matter that much.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
This Way Madness Lies- fin!  The underlying story is a bit nothing but I do think there's a bit of fun just in the way it's written.  Dunno why it works but it does.

Game is kinda weird with part choice surprisingly, you actually have fixed parties for most of the dungeons.  Which is slightly a problem because they love sticking you with the gambling-based character but eh, you make it work.  And it's otherwise a good excuse to teach you how each character works.

Not sure I'd say it's my favorite Zeboyd game but it's worth playing.  Recommended.

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Mario Rabbids 2- Finished world 4.  It's really excellent in spite of laggy menus and a not great interface. Glad it got patched and fixed the glitch that prevented you from getting 100% on the final world.

My core team has been Rabbid Peach, Luigi and a rotating third. Been using Mario and Peach a lot. Peach is great on survival missions due to barrier; Mario is just a good all arounder and overwatch is always good. Rabbid Peach/Luigi feel like slam dunk for using all the time. RP not only is the only one with healing, but she has really damn good offense with triple dashing. Luigi has stupid range and offense.  Steely Stare and the range is useful on every single map.

Rabbid Luigi is hilariously bad.  His draining is gone,  his damage isn't especially great and his secondary skill is useless. Whoof.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Finished Mario Rabbids. I’d rate it as the same 8-9ish as the first game. It’s definitely an easier game but a lot of the hardest missions in rabbids one were from protect toad missions. I don’t miss those. Sparks and items are an improvement over the system in one; game also does a better job with character balance and availability.

Luigi is the mvp; no one else has his damage and range. Steely stare is stupid strong too and is the best way to deal with ninja reinforcements. Rabbid peach is right on his heels. Healing plus crazy dash offense is nice. Mario/Rabbid Rosalina/Peach all had maps where they were useful. Rabbid Mario was okay; really bad support skill holds him back. Edge/Rabbid Luigi/Bowser I’d definitely call bottom tier; just not any reason to really use them. That’s still a balance improvement over the first where you basically always want to use Rabbid Luigi and one of Rabbid Peach/Luigi.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 01:11:21 PM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
I need to post here more.

Valkyrie Profile 2 - Beat this, as well as a single full run of the Seraphic Gate.

The lategame plot is definitely still very stupid even knowing that it's coming. Stupid highlights include a SUPER DRAMATIC scene where the game reveals Lezard stealing Silmeria's soul (whoever wrote the game badly wants us to think Lezard's plan is So Smart), and us learning midway through Chapter 6 "oh yeah Odin is gone now, lol so much for that plot point". Brahma's death still hilariously bad (though I do enjoy the dogs repeatedly mocking it in Valkyrie Dogfile).

Gameplay is weird. Most of the maingame is way too in the thrall of "did you get certain skills/sealstones" and too easy if you do / probably annoying if you don't? It's an interesting system past that and a bit finnicky. It comes into its own more in the Seraphic Gate, where the game starts just assuming "okay you DO have all the good stuff" and feels balanced appropriately; Wodan and Dirna in particular are both pretty fun fights that feel correctly balanced for the power you have at their respective points.

Game's rating remains about where I had it. There's really not much to like about the writing in 2022, and the gameplay is flawed, but it's certainly interesting.

Mario + Rabbids 2 - Currently in world 4. Fun game. I agree that the character balance is better (although I'll note that Rabbid Mario + Peach were sometimes both really useful in MR1, really it was just Rabbid Luigi who was too good and the Yoshis who kinda sucked, for different reasons). Rabbid Rosalina is pretty busted in this one but everyone has a use. Even more busted: items. Not sure how you can lose if you let yourself spam Cooldown Clocks on key things like Ennui, Unseen, Turbocharge, etc.

I think the game is slightly weaker than the first (reinforcements are handled in a worse way, fight design is not as good; many fights are actually random) but still a fun spin and I'm glad that it's appreciably different. The skill system is more polished and more team flexbility is very appreciated.

Tactics Ogre Reborn - In Chapter 4. Did Neutral route since I'd never done it before. On the whole this version's changes are positive ones. RNG auto skills is a design choice I'm not totally sure about, but they do shake things up in a game which can sometimes feel a bit samey, so that's nice at least. There animation time also gets a bit stupid (especially if a unit procs 3+ in one turn) and this game would probably be unplayable without animation speedup, but good things that exists and makes the game feel about right.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
Xenoblade Chronicles 3:

A nice upgrade from the previous two titles mechanically. One of the most interesting parts of the game for me was how dedicated it was to its meta-narrative. The main plot and themes work solidly on a surface level, but there's this wonderful undercurrent of the game gleefully denouncing the status quo in every way. From the game's main villains attempting to hold the world in a depressing stasis out of fear to the way the narrative seems to shun repeating the plot and themes of the previous Xeno titles. There's something uplifting about seeing two of the major characters from the previous two titles in the series telling the main characters that it's okay to destroy the world and do their own thing.

The Xeno games as a whole have been recycling and remixing the concepts from Perfect Works for well over two decades and it's clear that Takahashi feels he's finally expressed those ideas in a satisfactory way after XB1+2 concluded. Seeing XB3 tackle a new theme that's decided opposed to some of the long-running Xeno themes, such as the cyclical nature of history (and all the predestination baggage that comes along with that) is a refreshing change for the franchise and I honestly can't wait to see what's in store next.

Really solid character-writing and voicework. I appreciate just how robust the Hero system is in this game compared to the previous titles. In XB1, there was a standard set of 7 PCs. In XB2, there were 5 playable PCs and a gacha game's worth of 'weapon characters' that could be recruited and equipped to those PCs. XB3 splits the difference with 6 main PCs who come with default job classes and can gain access to roughly 15 more, and a 7th party member slot that can be filled by any of the 15-ish Hero PCs that can be recruited through sidequests. Most of these Heroes are integrated into the main plot, and all of them have extensive recruitment quests and follow-up Upgrade quests to give them some time in the spotlight. Due to how the setting of the game works, some of these PCs even interact with each other across questlines, making 90% of the sidequests feel more like mainline quests (most of them are largely voice-acted, too.)

It's just a really impressive package and probably the only AAA game I've played all year that felt like something that really utilized its high budget to create something special that couldn't be done better by really dedicated indie devs.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Metroid Dread: My game-playing rate continues to slow and slow.  Anyway, finally finished this up.  It's good!  I have a few minor qualms - load times on teleporters / transitioning between zones, some occasional erratic difficulty - but for the most part very solid.  It does have the issue that it can be easy to "forget" old mechanics or not realize they're applicable at times...  it's tricky because the a-ha moment of "I am a genius, I figured out this boss's weakness / what to do" only happens if you don't stick a big flashing sign telling you what to do, but that can mean that some bosses feel impenetrable if you don't "get" them.  I definitely had this on a few.  I was utterly baffled for the underwater evil clam where I knew I could lower the water to ride back and forth on the ceiling, but so what??  I definitely did not realize the extent of the unwise design of this room for its guardian.  Also, the green-zone three part miniboss isn't obvious it's using a gimmick from the very start of the game, the slide, and just seemed to have BS unavoidable attacks if you weren't very diligent about jumping over it before you get cornered.  Once I succumbed to curiosity and checked the Internet to see the slide trick, it completely upends the entire fight and makes it doable and go way faster.  Also, while I'm sure there are sneaky faster ways, the first form of the final boss really walled me thanks to BS invincibility for days.  I'm sure there are ways to break it faster but I only found one reliable one to wait for, so yeah.

The plot was for the most part fine.  It's a little tricky trying to make Samus the hunted not the hunter given how canonically insanely powerful Samus "should" be by the end of Fusion, but the game has the good sense to let Samus be the hunter again in spurts and eventually just say fine she's gonna wreck some shit.  I will say that I would still be down for some future Metroid where "Samus" has amnesia and no powers at the start and the plot-twist is that you're some surviving SA-X somehow, along with some BS for why you can't do the whole X-parasite infecting everything thing.  I will say one plot point was too bad...  I really liked the initial plot setup where Samus is deployed there's some claim of an X infection because she's immune to the X, but surprise, the enemy that shows up has nothing to do with the X and it was just a ruse.  You didn't think we were gonna reuse the same enemy two games in a row, did you?  Plus, it fits with Samus & the X seeming to come to a bit of an understanding by the end of Fusion.  That was cool...  except...  uh...  they show up again anyway kind of randomly.  I guess it helps explain how local wildlife can possibly stand up to a heavily armed superweapon like Samus and keep respawning, but meh, I'm fine with hand-waving that kind of stuff.  I do hope that future Metroid games consider having the Federation be the antagonist - the way Fusion went, it feels like Samus should be on bad terms with the Federation, and it's not the NES-era of games having to be 10-year old approved of no killing nice humans.

To reply to a comment Elf made last year, though, I will say I disagree that Samus being silent was a problem in this game.  Her being silent was very good and definitely what writer SnowFire would have done as well.  In any game with a big plot twist that either the character already knows, or already *should* know, just have them play it close to the vest and not talking out loud.  Otherwise you end up with either the character telling the player too much before the player can figure it out for themselves, or else the character coming across as a bit of an idiot.  I think I complained about this a bit when playing Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth where Deedlit comes across as either brainwashed or an idiot for not noticing an obvious plot point.  Granted, a player who really remembers Metroid Fusion's script probably isn't that common for the biggest tell that something might be up - and that's easily explainable by a new scriptwriter just deciding to drop Adam being a white knight in calling her "Lady" - but there were other oddities too like how much Adam hypes up Raven Beak as the ultimate badass, and by all rights, Samus herself should have caught on very very quickly.  Having her be silent lets us assume that she was in on the joke much earlier but didn't have much choice but to play along.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
On using old mechanics in boss fights:

The big one I didn't catch onto was power bombs against the third form of the final boss, which makes the big sun attack extremely evil. For the most part I think the game does a decent enough job of making bosses beatable even if you don't figure out certain gimmicks, but it's still a fair concern. Agreed about the slide; I definitely felt I was majorly missing something for that boss, and yep, turned out I was right. I did catch on after he bodied me once, though.

On Samus being mostly silent:
I see your point but I still disagree. Like yeah, sure, making Samus silent makes it easy to hide her feelings about Adam/Raven Beak, but if anything I think that's lazy and devalues the plot twist a bit! Just imagine how good it would be if Samus herself was being cagey about how much she knows, playing along with Raven Beak. A deft writer could drop in some neat hints about what her actual thoughts are which would hit differently on a replay once we know the twist. Oh well. Also as a note, they do have Adam use "Lady" in the opening sequence of Dread just to let you know it's not a writing change that he no longer uses it otherwise, which I agree would be a valid thing to think otherwise.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Pokemon Scarlet- fin

It's extremely annoying to me that I feel *irresponsible* talking about this game without leading with it, but I do: this game was not ready to release, and even only having played after the first patch dropped some of the technicals are just not up to snuff for a full price release of this nature.
The reason for all that being that in most other relevant ways this is just an extremely good pokemon game.  It lacks some of the more meditative, observe nature and plan accordingly elements Arceus brought to the table, and I can think of some refinements a followup could add, but structurally this is nearly ideal.  The 8 gyms return, but rather than randomly hijacking the plot from time to time the resident team are their own events with subtly different mechanics from gyms, and an evolution of the Totem battles from gen 7 round out the game meaning that there's something for all 18 types.  It also means there's 3 major NPCs, one for each questline, which gives them room to do different stuff, and then the actual endplot is... very pokemon while still having stakes.  It's good.  Everything actually in this game is good, nearly all of their decisions are good ones.

Except the one not to push the game back another 5 or 6 months.