Author Topic: What games are you playing 2020: The true last year of the current decade  (Read 27127 times)

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What games are you playing 2020: The true last year of the current decade
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2020, 12:43:15 AM »
Dragon Quest 11- Playing a bit on and off; played with a small group today and got up to getting the 5th PC as a guest. It's decently entertaining but not groundbreaking by any means.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2020, 12:54:49 AM »
Fire Emblem Three Houses: The Promised Effortpost or Why The Burning of the Kagatopia is a Moral Act

So this is going to be a lot of words and obviously a bit spoilerly.

As one could fairly guess I consider this game to be fantastic.  It's not perfect, of course; while the game does have some fun maps I consider the map design to be on the weaker end overall, and while there's something refreshing about the more freeform approach to classes the shadow of wyvern looms a bit overly large and I think a bit more could be done with it in general.  The weapon triangle is not a thing I particularly miss and the return of weapon durability, while not a thing I care for I can at least understand this time, and hey at least combat arts don't feel largely irrelevent this time.  Weight mitigation however remains laughably self-defeating as a balance mechanism and really I'm not sure why they bothered.  The sheer level of QoL is quite nice however rather annoyingly the UI is a step back.

Good thing the game actually has other things going for it then.

Three Houses is a game that wears its influences on its sleeve and talking about the game itself without talking about the two most notable things it draws from is not a thing I can actually do.  The first of the two, of course, is Geneology of the Holy War.  Like that game, the setting of Three Houses is one largely dominated by nobles descended from certain individuals and, by virtue of this heritage, are able to wield certain relics and with the blessing of the setting's dominant religious organization, the Church of Seiros, use this as a basis for governance.  Unlike Geneology of the Holy War, Three Houses presents this as ultimately a negative thing and explores the darker elements of this premise to show how this is not only unjust but also unsustainable.  There's also that whole disgusting blood reconstruction thing which probably wouldn't be out of place in Nazi Germany but let's not talk about the Dubstep Molemen right now.  Plotwise, the two games also share an overall structure, however while Geneology of the Holy War is a largely straightforward story of good versus evil, Three Houses is about revolution, weighing ends against the means used to achieve them, and the merits and pitfalls of the ideologies the three main characters espouse.

The other primary influence is, of course, the modern Persona series (hereafter refered to as nuPersona), and while I'm not one to say that any game has actually been best served by adhering to its formula, Three Houses does actually try to make it work for the story it wants to tell rather than simply kludging the story to fit the formula (and Fire Emblem's traditional support system does help make this work better, since it's not tying almost everything to a dumb silent main).  The playable cast of Three Houses is not what one would call neat and tidy, and underneath the game's cheery introduction to the Garreg Mach Officers Academy lies a student body suffering as a result of the world they live in.  However, whereas the almost (okay in one case literally) messianic silent main of the nuPersona games is presented as an undeniably positive healing influence, the results of Byleth's interactions are more mixed depending on what route the player takes and in some rather notable cases are not sufficient to outweigh any other considerations some characters may have, potentially resulting in their bloody end.  The game's titular three houses and their routes are also rather noticeably centered around similar themes as the ones the nuPersona games are (supposed to be, but that's a discussion for a different time) structured around, adjusted to fit the framework of the setting, which in turn shape the ideologies Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude espouse and their objections to the current status quo. 

Dimitri's route, Azure Moon, centers itself around loss, the emotions that accompany it, and ultimately, coming to accept and finding the strength to live on.  At first brush, this route appears to be the most "traditionally Fire Emblem" of the routes until the mask of the Flame Emperor comes off.  Dimitri himself is first presented as kind but a bit stiff, a skilled fighter but abhors killing.  However he suffers from severe survivor's guilt and depression as a result of the violent deaths of those closest to him, is prone to hallucinations, and his strong feelings of love and hate combined with his black-and-white view of the world result in him falling into a downward spiral, lashing out at those around him until he is finally forced to acknowledge the true cost of revenge and allow himself to act as a protector of the living rather someone seeking heads as tribute for the dead. Dimitri's actions are borne out of a sense of duty, the idea that those with power must protect those without and not trample on them.  He recognizes the need for reform but balks at the idea of violent revolution and crushing others beneath the heel of progress as a means to achieve it, and believes that while peaceful discource is necessary to achieve a positive outcome that there are things that one ultimately cannot accept.

Claude's route, Verdant Wind, is centered around truth and the need for honest conversations with others.  It's also the most... disconnected of the three, as befitting Claude's status as an outsider but it does call attention to the fact that the game's writing and plot, while basically the best a Fire Emblem game has been, is still more than a bit uneven at times.  Claude is first presented as friendly but distrustful, fun but a manipulative schemer, and manipulative in a way that other characters who could be a called a bit manipulative aren't, someone with noble principles but uncomfortable with taking direct and overt action, instead basing his plans around how others choose to act.  It's implied that this is a survival mechanism to shield himself from xenophobia, being the result of a mixed marriage.  While he views the act of revolution as necessary, the one he seeks is one of hearts and minds.  Due to his status as an outsider, he considers himself to be simply one voice and not an especially qualified one at that amongst the many and instead chooses to ask how things came to this and the game for its part does provide on this front although of course it's an even less relevent version of FFT's Lucavi hijack so eh, and leave the discussion of Fodlan's immediate future to individuals who he feels are more qualified while he spreads his vision of globalism elsewhere.

Lastly, Edelgard's route, Crimson Flower, is the one most directly concerned with the removal of corrupt forces and the weighing of ends against the means used to achieve them and to be perfectly honest the route I think is most hurt by the formula used (naturally this is similar to Persona 5, where I had the same complaint).  Edelgard is, essentially, the driver of most of the game's plot, and of the three lords, the one who I have the most complicated feelings about.  Edelgard is first presented as distant, constantly judging, more than slightly arrogant, and less than concerned for the safety of others.  And underneath it all is someone who, like Dimitri, is one of the most traumatized characters in the series.  The contrast and interaction between the two is great and I'm honestly sad that Crimson Flower doesn't do it quite as well as Azure Moon.  Having been victim to the worst horrors of the prevailing social structure, Edelgard's belief is that the only moral solution is to remove it entirely and replace it with one less prone to committing crimes against humanity, and if the game can be said to actually take a stance on this issue, it is that regardless of route, the act of revolution itself always seems necessary.  As you might guess of the the three options I agree with this one the most, although it is far from perfect.  To achieve her ends, Edelgard initially allies with the Dubstep Molemen (like hell am I ever going to refer to them by either of their proper ingame names), the requisite Evil Group of Evil People doing Evil Things in Evil Ways that Fire Emblem is very so fond of and never gets newer.  The question as to why is met with a simple answer, revolution is hard and she needs manpower, and since the principal target of her revolution is the Church of Seiros it's probably harder than normal to get popular support and the two are rather openly using each other rather than genuinely working together.  In fact it's a bit despair-inducing for Edelgard, since not only are these people responsible for her PTSD, but it also closes off in her mind the hope of gaining more principled and genuine allies.  In a way Edelgard is a walking embodiment of sunk-cost fallacy, her impatience to achieve change results in her making worse and less sympathetic decisions and it's only when Byleth defies her expectactions and sides with her that she realizes that she can in fact pull up and focus on actually accomplishing her goals.

Of course, each route has its blind spots that give rise to uncertainty and discomfort, and while they all result in a brighter future the player is made aware of the pitfalls each of the lords can fall into.  And while they're made obvious enough on their own, the writers saw fit to make it even more obvious in the form of the Dubstep Molemen, who are less characters and more a plot device.  The game doesn't actually care all that much about them (thank god) but there's still something annoying about the game's writing falling into the same sort of trap Fire Emblem (and nuPersona, and other series besides) keeps falling into.  They are the unjustifyable means, the voices that contribute nothing except hatred, the unending cycle of harm.  All they do is make life shitty for everyone and the only difference between how they're handled on each route is how openly they're guillotined.

The character work and the small touches are where the game really shines, however, and give the game a sense of personality that feels rare in general (the voice work, which was one of the biggest strengths of Echoes and is great here as well, also helps) as well as serving to inform certain aspects of the backstory, and while each of the three lords are focused on a certain ideology, the three houses focus (although not as completely) on a certain aspect of society.  The Black Eagles largely focus on the nobility and their abuses, while the Blue Lions tend to focus on duty and fatalism.  The Golden Deer, much like Claude, is somewhat more disconnected, being something of an overlap of the previous two, but perhaps that's the point.  Of course it's not all darkness and trauma, and there are still moments of lighthearted silliness to remind us that yes, things can get better.  But man, I've spewed enough verbiage on this (and spent enough time agonizing on how to spew it).  tl;dr, game good, 10/10 would chainplay again.

Probably not immedately though, I do have other things I need to get back to.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2020, 04:17:57 AM »
10/10 would read Random Consonant's post again.

EDIT: Incidentally, if you haven't read my Three Houses post in the Misc. Links topic re:Dimitri, I think you might find it an informative read.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 04:58:04 AM by Luther Lansfeld »
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2020, 04:41:45 AM »
Indivisible - About 7-8 hours in. It's interesting, I'll mostly save thoughts for when I'm done (especially on anything related to writing). Initial impressions were very positive, oh yay a spin on VP. Then I felt the game was starting to get a bit sluggish and repetitive (some enemies feel like decently tanky and can never ever threaten you, this is not fun). Then I got an NPC who gave me a whole bunch of battle hints realized the battle system had a bit more depth than it had communicated to me (definitely a flaw the game has), so playing with the system (juggling to gain super meter faster and using that more) has definitely gotten more fun again. Odd trajectory, we'll see where it goes from here.

Mega Man 3 - I decided to replay this. I've done buster-only runs, but I decided I'd try something different; a run emphasizing a particular weapon. I decided to roll randomly for it and got Needle Cannon. Not a very exciting choice. I decided the rules of the run are as follows:

1. Use the chosen weapon as much as possible.
2. If out of ammo or the weapon is immuned, use a legal option that comes highest in the weapon order.
3. No intentionally wasting weapon energy to use another weapon sooner. Of course, I do have some freedom of choice; I can fight more enemies if I want to burn up a weapon faster, but I don't allow myself do so in a grindy way.
4. No energy tanks obviously, do I look like a casual
5. Use Rush as little as possible.

I rolled the entire order and got Needle > Snake > Magnet > Gemini > Hard > Top > Spark > Shadow. Buster is the last choice, of course (which meant that after the first stage is beaten it literally only got used against Break Man, who immunes everything else).

Most difficult parts of the run, in order encountered.

1. Bustering Needle Man. I'm out of practice and he's possibly the hardest boss to buster.
2. Defeating Shadow Man with Needle. It's like bustering Shadow, the other possible hardest boss to buster, except I can run out of Needle ammo, and if I do I have to use Snake which is horrible against him. Did you know that when Shadow Man slides, despite the fact he's travelling on the ground, that search snakes go right through him? arrgh
3. Air Man / Crash Man's stage. So Air Man isn't tooo bad to buster because he takes 2, but he only takes 1 damage from Needle! Shit. That makes him super-badass. If I run out of Needle I have to use Snake which as usual is even worse (also does 1). If I run out of THAT I can use Magnet, which he's weak to. Guess how I win. I then get my Needle ammo back and have to use it against Crash Man. It takes several tries of dying to Air until I'm out of Needle/Snake ammo and can use Magnet, beating him, then beating the rest of the stage and taking out Crash, usually with just 1 or 2 lives to try.
4. Heat Man with Needle is also legit, but not nearly as bad as the above. He takes 2 from Needle instead of 1 from the buster, which helps. (And I have bustered him before, certainly.)
5. Yellow Devil; Needle against him is the same as the buster, which is a bad time. Needs a few tries to get good.
6. Boss rush, entirely because Shadow Man again (Needle is mercifully weak to his own weapon). This time I end up winning by depleting my ammo for literally six of my weapons by fighting all the other bosses first then dying several times to Shadow himself. Eventually I reach weapon #6, Top Spin, and that's that.
7. Wily Machine isn't possible. Nope. I've never been able to buster him, and Needle is no different, and I invariably game over before I can run out of ammo, recharging all my weapons. Eventually I allow myself to skip Needle/Snake/Magnet and use Gemini/Hard to beat him, which is doable. Only time in this run I had to outright break the rules.

Other run highlights:
-Metal Man is immune to both Needle and Snake, which takes me directly to Magnet, Magnet vs Metal being one of the most hilarious (and fitting) weaknesses in the series.
-For possibly the first time ever, I get a game over against the final stage! Sure, mostly it's because I got there on my last life, but still, using Search Snake instead of Top Spin does make it much more of a real fight.

Weapon thoughts:
-Needle Cannon is literally the buster against randoms, everything takes the same damage near as I can tell. Bo-ring. It has an autofire option but that hardly matters, just saves you some finger exercise in few situations. Bosses are thus the main place where this departs from a buster run.
-Search Snake is the only other weapon which sees notable use. Snake is bad. It's slow, undamaging, and has a limited-use trajectory. Great. Well that certainly keeps me from deliberately trying to burn Needle ammo, which is a plus I guess?
-Magnet Missile got used against Hard when I ran out of Needle ammo (he's immune to Snake), against Metal (see above), some filler use in the boss rush (including wrecking Magnet himself). Overall use of course is too limited to comment on.

Suikoden 4 - Started this.

It's easy for me to remember first playthroughs of games. The first experience with something tends to stick. This is different. This is... the last playthrough of a game.

I realize that I've never actually felt this way about a game before. Sure, I've finished a game, and said, "welp, never playing that again". But never before have I started up a replay of a game, knowing it would be the last time I ever played it. After all, if I like a game enough to play it n times (for n>=2), there's always a chance I'll decide to play it an (n+1)th time, right? But Suikoden 4 is not a game I actually like that much. It's got a 63 on Metacritic and that's about what it deserves. It's a game that, despite the fact that I've always had a good reason to replay it (never got 108 stars before, it's part of a series I like), took me 15 years to get around to replaying. After this, planned 108 stars playthrough, I will have far less reason to replay it. Presumably it will take me much longer than 15 years to desire to replay it again, so much more that whatever the number is, I highly doubt I will live that long.

Mortality is sitting down to play a game knowing you will not do so again.

I fully expect this to be the deepest thought I have about the game.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2020, 07:17:32 AM »
My first Tales game - Tales of Symphonia

Picked this up at a swap letting go of two games I don't play at all (one of which came with the PS2 and was still in the packaging).  While Skies of Arcadia may be the crown jewel on the Gamecube, this one still has positive reception and, more importantly, was available to be found.  Might as well experience some Tales firsthand.  Not worrying about completion the first time through.  Also heard that Tales games are full of missable and obscure stuff to drive completionists mad.

Only covering the first arc for now even though I'm farther along.  It's a bit of a slow start for me.  Part of it is the main plot being very simplistic Dragon Warrior flavored.  Player faction has a clear goal and the antagonists act like card carrying villains.  The other part is me not being very skilled at this kind of action RPG, my only previous translatable experience being Star Ocean 2.  (Mana series skill not applicable here)  This first part until a Really Big Plot Reveal ended up being grindy for me.  Not blaming the game here.  I used a lot more recovery items to progress to compensate for my lack of skill.  This led into spending more to keep replacing them, which means I had less cash to buy gear upgrades.  Which snowballs into even more grinding and dying in boss fights because of lower stats.

I managed to get the player controlled character KO'ed in the tutorial dungeon.  Also died once to the first boss fight without a crutch character.  Got a little more skilled there and started to get a hang of using the block button.  It also took a while to get into a rythym of assigning special moves.  Thinking of it in terms of a Smash character helps; the button inputs for specials are even the same.  I did appreciate many quality of life features to the battle system that SO2 doesn't have.  Being able to change specials in the middle of a fight is huge, not like SO2 where a fighter had only 3 attack options at any given moment. (regular attack, KM 1, or KM 2).  Also found myself controlling fighters more than mages, a twist from my Star Ocean 2 experience.

Will have lots more to say over the course of multiple posts but this is a good stopping point for now.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2020, 07:40:22 AM »
-For possibly the first time ever, I get a game over against the final stage! Sure, mostly it's because I got there on my last life, but still, using Search Snake instead of Top Spin does make it much more of a real fight.
Huh, I thought Snake was the only thing that worked.  I know that's how I always killed it and never thought it was a super-easy fight or anything, although agree that Wily Machine is still harder.

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2020, 09:59:01 PM »

I hate 2020
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2020, 02:25:44 AM »
Tokyo Mirage Sessions FE# Encore: Boy that's a mouthful of a title, eh? Enjoying the game, never got very far in it back on the WiiU. In the interlude after Chapter 5, where we've just learned who is behind it all. Tbh I like the entire cast with the exception of Barry. Barry alone brings the average down harder than one character should, tho. And while Itsuki naturally suffers from Main Character Blandness Syndrome, I do like how much of a derp he is. It's cute~

The songs are generally fun, the costume options range from plain to neat to cool to "but why", which is also fun. I really should put Mr Perfect in his silly Microwavin' Apron more~

Dead Cells: Getting back into this for an action game, since I've completed everything there is to complete in 20XX. Playing on 1 Boss Cell active puts me on Hard mode, and it is appropriately Hard. Managed to reach the Cavern for the first time, and after getting through there(on my third entry to it), I fought The Giant.

....whooooooo boy is this guy nasty. If I want to keep playing this game on harder difficulties I need to learn to slow down and learn shield fighting better. While I do so love certain combos like Iceblast + Fireblast or Ice Bow + anything strong(ice is good, y'all)...they are not great on the bosses.

That is honestly the roughest thing about the game. The builds that are good for hallways are not good for bosses. But both are deadly as fuck and will kill you if you have a bad build! Still having fun for now tho, so gonna keep at it for my action game fix, at least for now.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2020, 01:58:15 AM »
Barry for me crossed the line into "so bad he's good" territory. If he doesn't for you, then yeah, some average dragging is to be expected.

Suikoden 4

I just got Kika, so I'm like, halfway done or something? I dunno. Sailing was a nightmare to control at first, then eventually I got the hang of it and instead settled into boring treks along the water which take 10-20 minutes. Part of it's my fault for following recruitment guides which emphasise recruiting people ASAP even when doing so is grossly ineffecient (for instance, it's way easier to recruit the Nay/Na-Nal PCs after the Obel Ruins when the plot takes you to Nay anyway, but you can get them before, as I did. I regret everything).

Otherwise this isn't exactly a new observation but holy shit this game and its lack of dungeons. It's like they were almost done the game and realized they'd hardly made any, so to get the expected amount of combat in the game they jacked up the encounter rate on the seas and then put randoms in all sorts of bizarre places in and around towns that don't make sense (why are there random enemies in Na-Nal's town square? This seems like a serious problem for anyone who wants to go visit the mayor, but what do I know...).

Also lacking: boss fights, dialog (this game may actually end up with less lines than Suikoden 1), and setting work. In every other game in the series the motivations of the antagonists are well fleshed-out. In this one? Kooluk is invading because I dunno, conquest I guess? There's not even a single named Kooluk civilian or political figure to flesh this out, just a couple generals and some creepy arms merchant / baker. And somehow we know even less about Gaien, the nation we are nominally in the army of at the game's start. Great.

This game loses so many polish improvements Suikoden 2 and 3 introduced it's kinda sad: visible rune affinities, a detective, the ability to modify non-active PCs with your castle blacksmith/runemaster/shop, etc.

Not much to say about the actual gameplay itself other than to observe that Wind of Sleep is good in this game.

Maybe.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2020, 02:05:13 AM »
In retrospect, Suikoden IV almost has the same feel as FFXIII, where you wonder if they spent a huge amount of development time learning and creating art assets in a new engine, then built the "game" part around a dozen disparate set pieces in the last six months.
(It certainly explains why they were able to assemble an entire other game out of unused "explaining the plot" material a year later.)
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2020, 06:24:54 AM »
I don't think that's really a fair comparison. I can't stress enough how S4 feels woefully short on environments (even the two dungeons it has both need to recycle screens repeatedly), which obviously isn't a problem FF13 has. Their battle design also unquestionably show vastly different amounts of time/effort. The only place I agree is with regards to story, which I agree both definitely have some parts which are clearly "we'll think of something later" and they never did. Or, to put it another way, Suikoden 4 has similar story woes as FF13, but these woes spread to the entire game instead (and that's why opinions on FF13 are highly variable and opinions on S4... are more uniform, shall we say).

Maybe.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2020, 12:23:55 PM »
Oh, I was attributing that to FFXIII having much better artists designing much more elaborate levels.

FFXIII doens't so much have an amazing battle system to my mind as amazing gameplay balance.  And if they had a few dedicated people on that during the "make an actual game" part of development, it's definitely something that could have been done without much investment from the other departments.

But that's kinda the general idea.  FFXIII had a bunch of very talented people making great pieces of a game and no idea how to bring it together.  Suikoden IV, like all Suikoden games, had a bunch of people making serviceable, average pieces of a game but, unlike all other Suikoden games, no idea how to bring it together.

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2020, 10:49:50 PM »
Tales of Symphonia memo:

Tales is not Atelier.  One cannot bop enemies with a staff to gain some kind of initiative advantage.  I was reflexively tapping the B button on the field for a long time out of muscle memory.

Interesting simulation of random battles on on the overworld.  The enemies are visible but after moving around enough, game will decide that it's random battle time and send an enemy charging at the party at high speed.  Long range mode still can outrun any enemy though it took me a very long time to find a guidepost.  Though once I did, finding more came rather easy as I got a sense for their placement.

Game held my interest better upon reaching the second world (sorry, spoiler, there is a second world).  Story has left the straightforward Dragon Warrior-esque quest with its clearly defined villains.  The characters themselves have become more interesting.  Gameplay progress is also faster.  I feel I've gotten better at controlling my characters by now.  Not walking into every attack as much anymore.  Still go through quite a few items in boss fights but randoms drop more cash now so I'm not spending as long replacing them.  Plot pacing feels better to me.

Not to say there weren't a few walls.  One boss I thought I was stuck at since there wasn't any shops or inn accessible (or so I thought).  After a few failed attempts where I controlled the healer, tried out fighter control and got a win with only 3 Life Bottles used.  Another wall boss was solved much like the Lover fight from SO2, controlling one character to keep the main boss busy and letting the AI deal with the other two units.  The final boss of disc 1 put up a fight but I won without anyone dying.  This is when I really felt I'd gotten better at the game.  Still think that I'll get shredded by a truly dangerous opponent but feel more confident about being able to handle required storyline fights.

A welcome to Tales moment: getting 3/4 of my party blown up by Indignation the first time an enemy casts it.  Kind of gave up on that attempt.  Won the rematch where the AI pulled everyone out of the effect area.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2020, 04:03:49 AM »
Persona 5 Scramble-

The game is actually pretty fun. Has the good side of both ARPG and Musou.
And I can see they remembered Raidou games in how some of the bosses are done.
The risky mode also requires skills and more fund than I thought.

Though... just here is Mitsuru? Why is the Phantom Thieves solving shadow related crimes?
Where is she and whatis she doing with the tax payer money???

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2020, 04:06:52 PM »
I would kill for a Raidou game with production values
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2020, 10:18:56 PM »
Suikoden 4 - I beat this. The content I'd not seen before (Snowe's recruitment) was extremely underwhelming. I don't have too much else to add from my previous post about the game. There are some decent ideas mixed in there and the start is reasonably promising but none of the story ideas come to any remotely decent fruition.

Also Ramada is killed by Graham Cray in a lategame cutscene, but then he reappears to save Eleanor and is promptly killed by Graham Cray again, but then the epilogue tells us he survived. Cool story kupo.

Indivisible - I beat this as well. It was about 17-18 hours.

Gameplay: The game is part Valkyrie Profile combat, part platformer. The combat definitely brings its own spin to things compared to VP: instead of rounds, it's a bit more of an ATB-style affair where time freezes if you attack or an enemy attacks, but otherwise characters' gauges fill up (how fast depends on the character and the attack(s) they used last), giving them access to 1 to 5 (depending on the point of the game) attacks, VP-style. When you attack it's of course more beneficial to assemble combos because your super gauge fills faster and you do more damage that way, also some enemies have guards you need to break or only take damage while launched, etc. Characters themselves often play quite differently, to a greater degree than VP, which is cool. The game also mixes in timed blocking as a major mechanic, you will learn how to do this or you will die in some fights.

What's less cool is that the battle design itself feels very haphazard and poorly balanced. You have the ability to heal/revive the entire party but it takes the entire super gauge, which is a much lower cost early in the game (where the gauge is short and fills up quickly) than later. It often felt like they were a bit afraid to pressure the party later on so most fights end up extremely non-threatening, with rare spiky exceptions. I dunno, it's not the easiest system to balance properly I guess (goodness knows no VP has been perfect at this).

The platforming is... largely there, but not bad. Like, it's obviously not good enough to play the game for alone, but it can hold its own, especially in the fake final dungeon (this is obvious enough I don't mind calling it this) and the real final dungeon. You get lots of platforming tools as the game goes on and you are expected to use them. This is a place the game exceeds VP, certainly.

Writing: By and large the game isn't very good at this. Oh, there's some promise here and there, particularly with your first ally being someone who killed your father, but it pretty quickly descends into schlocky Saturday morning cartoon fare. You get setting that feels made up as the writers went along, goofy character interactions which are hit and miss on humour, and some of the weakest town NPCs I can recall in a game (which is a shame, because their artwork is great). I can't tell if they're a collection of in-jokes, or the results of discordant crowd-funding ideas, but either way that part of the game definitely fell flat.

Two points of praise here. One is Razmi, who shares a voice actor and more than a few character traits with Tharja, and is generally devilishly fun. The other is the final battle and the plot surrounding it, which is pretty much the best thing about the game, blending both some plot and gameplay notes, so let's talk about that.

To understand what makes this part of the game good, some background first. The main character, Ajna, is hot-headed and quick to employ violence as a solution to all problems, getting away with it because, well, she's extremely good at it. Eventually it comes to light that she is not actually a human but is a piece of the creator god, Kala, who created this world and now wishes to destroy it because it is an imperfect world (but, in usual RPG fashion was stopped and sealed by a previous generation of heroes). Though Ajna wants to protect the world, her violent and destructive ways cause problems and indeed contribute to Kala's unsealing. The last arc of the game involves Ajna trying to make amends for her behaviour and learn to be a better person.

The final battle is, of course, a showdown between Ajna and Kala. But it's not the big epic confrontation of plucky heroes versus evil god you're expecting. Instead, the game owns its message of what Ajna has learned, and the battle consists entirely of DEFENDING. Rather beautifully, the game puts its timed defence system to use, and your goal is to withstand Kala's attacks until she uses up all her energy. It's a tough, satisfying fight to win gameplaywise, and very neat and unique plotwise. Once it's over, you get a single "attack" option, and the "attack" is for Ajna to reach out her hand. Kala's desire for destruction is ultimately framed as a manifestation of her self-loathing (which was obliquely and cleverly hinted at before the end) that every world she created was one that was flawed due to people suffering, and in the ending, Ajna convinces her that perfection need not be the enemy of good and that this world, and life itself, is worth not giving up on.

It's really cool and much better than anything the game had led me to expect it was capable of. It pretty much singlehandedly turns the game from something I might otherwise have largely forgotten to something I'll probably always recall with at least some fondness.

Character notes:

There are a lot of them. I didn't get everyone, and some people I got much later than they're available. Ah well. I rotated PCs a lot, no reason not to.

Ajna: Hot-headed shonen main. Her attacks are... okay, but not exceptional, a few have frustratingly small hitboxes. Her down attacks output pretty strong damage though, as do her supers.

Dhar: Authoritarian toady, everyone rightly hates him even when he often has decent points. Can store power to unleash solid AoE attacks, and is bulky.

Razmi: As mentioned I enjoyed her a lot as a character. As a PC, she is both slow and frail, and some enemies randomly just absorb magic damage which fucks her over further. :( She can inflict slow at least.

Ginseng: Non-binary science nerd. They're a healer, which obviously has some use, though very frail. Bad early because you can heal just fine anyway then, but decent enough later.

Zebei: Doesn't trust the main character and is basically correct not to do so. Gameplaywise, he's an archer, he's aggressively okay, I used him some until I had lots of other more interesting options.

Kushi: Has a giant bird. Her big thing is riding the bird and doing ridiculous AoE damage (which also works well on aerial'd enemies to build gauge), which also sadly has huuge recoil time. Also she's very bulky. Used her quite a bit.

Qadira: At least in the main game her plot is dropped pretty hard? Didn't make much of an impression as a PC, beyond being durable, but I preferred Dhar.

Thorani: Hot mom. Has this complex mechanic where all her attacks create puddles and you can activate them to heal allies and do ITD damage to enemies (which is useful against a couple really tanky enemies). Ginseng is a better healer though Thorani isn't quite as frail at least. Also gets screwed over by magic absorption though.

Baozhai: Lesbian pirate. She has a big-damage AoE attack which also damages any allies in the AoE so have fun timing that? Ultimately I felt her AoEs weren't good enough to justify the trouble.

Nuna: Proud member of "team idiot". Her gameplay involves setting traps for the enemies and that's way too complicated/finnicky for me to bother with but I'm sure she's to some people's taste.

Yan: Much legs, no arms (or personality). I didn't use her too much.

Tungar: Some old warrior dude from some country or other which is barely mentioned. Puts in decent AoE work.

Phoebe: Giant amazon archer. Yes please. Basically never left my party once I got her, does big damage, spoils aerial and melee-immujne enemies, and is bulky.

Lanshi: Is a dog. This will probably fascinate some people. Didn't find very effective in my limited use.

Hunoch and Xiboch: Wakka, if Wakka had a twin brother who was a ghost and that ghost turned into a blitzball. ... yep, I sure did just write that. Anyway he can rack up huge damage with a full combo (think Jecht Shot, it's basically that), but you actually have to time hitting the ball back at enemies and the combo bonus will reset between ball hits if nobody attacks while you're doing it. Fun to time correctly and do big damage, but I switched him out so I could focus on other things.

Naga Rider: Is a campy superhero. His most notable thing is he does easy-peasy aerial combos solo, not much else to say about him.

Ren: Horny for everyone, Niles is that you? I didn't use him too much, nope not in the mood for a complicated traps-and-status PC gained this late.

Leilani: If she had a personality I missed it? I got her pretty late but she seems kinda OP in randoms, because one of her attacks pulls enemies together so literally everyone else can gang-beat all of them at once. Unremarkable against solos.

Kampan: Thief who robs the rich to feed the poor is a diehard supporter of an autocratic tyrant. Sadly I did the area you get her in last so I only had her for her own area and the final dungeon, and her own area has lots of enemies who punish melee attackers, which she is. Oops.

6/10 sounds right.

Maybe.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Dragon Quest 11- Playing a bit on and off; played with a small group today and got up to getting the 5th PC as a guest. It's decently entertaining but not groundbreaking by any means.

Ayep, my final take is about this. It's super fun, breezy and has a ton of cool polish improvements over DQ11. I skipped most of the minigames; played in 2-d mode because it was much easier visually for me to handle. I finished the maingame in the mid 60's, entering the final area in act 3 at L77 (6 of those levels were from trying out the metal transformation pep up so yeah, not a lot of EXP gained otherwise). The fact that this game handles a lot of polish things so much better than Octopath blows my mind; everything from party switching to finding items to character balance is done better by the freaking DQ game.  The game is a clear homage to the older games in the series without being a slave to them.  I was in the mood for something breezy and enjoyable and this fit the bill.

Story and characters were pretty generic. I did like Jade's survivor guilt in act 1, but she has next to no dialog in act 2 and a lot of that is pretty pointless. The sisters had a decent dynamic and I definitely liked Sylvando and his father.  But on the whole this game's writing was a step back from DQ8. I did play in 2-d which hurt the story, but this is not a game driven by plot. 7/10?

« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 03:19:14 PM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Persona 5 Scramble-

Though... just here is Mitsuru? Why is the Phantom Thieves solving shadow related crimes?
Where is she and whatis she doing with the tax payer money???

Knowing nothing about the plot of P5 Scramble, and very little of P3...  I wouldn't expect P3/P4 cameos any time soon.  P3 cameos in P4 media is fine (P4 Arena, Persona Q, etc.) because it takes place only 2 years afterward.  P5 takes place Some Unspecified Amount Of Time Later, so cameos of adult P3/4 characters means picking canon romantic pairings, or canon non-pairings, or canon "yeah I married someone you never heard of I met at college."  Some fans hate hate hate this, so easier just to leave it in unspecified limbo forever so that everyone's ships can happily coexist like Schrodinger's cat.  You can pick one or two characters who seem like certified bachelor-for-life types and bring 'em back (wasn't adult Akihiko in the Persona 3 anime?), but that's it.

Story and characters were pretty generic. I did like Jade's survivor guilt in act 1, but she has next to no dialog in act 2 and a lot of that is pretty pointless. The sisters had a decent dynamic and I definitely liked Sylvando and his father.  But on the whole this game's writing was a step back from DQ8. I did play in 2-d which hurt the story, but this is not a game driven by plot. 7/10?

Yeah, Jade doesn't really have a ton of Act II plot.  Also, I think I'll shuffle this off more to a "Japan" thing, but if Americans wrote the Act 2 plot she does have, there'd be a lot more comment on the superpowered evil side she gets in her later dialogue, team discussions, etc.  But I guess "I have a super transformed mode now" is so dead common in Japanese media that the game can just shrug and say yep, it's there as a gameplay thing, and never make it a remote plot point.  (If nothing else, bring it up in Act 3!  "Whoa this is super weird why do I have a superpowered evil side despite not doing the plot reason for that.")

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Secret of Mana- mopped this up exactly one day later than I might have liked, but whatever.

Large segments of this are perfectly okay sequences of bars going up with some very good sprite work.  Not quite as clean as Chrono Trigger, but also a lot more loose and physically expressive, it has a bit more cartoon physics rather than anime gag expressions if that makes any sense.

Unfortunately the bits that aren't that are just a chore.  Some is just expected jank like "oh hey I don't have a stable world map to easily orient myself with, that's troublesome" or "oh I'm supposed to just walk around visiting places I've already been at this part, OR I can just ask my friend mr. faq."  And of course the perils of hit boxes, stairs, and menus, but that's them trying something new and ambitious and only kinda making it work.  I can live with that.

But jeez some of these boss designs and enemy difficulty jumps are needless.  Also how the midgame dumps multiple giant equipment jumps on you, meaning even if the enemies weren't escalating you'd have a terrible death problem if you weren't looking up what order to do things.
Although I guess that's one way to make defense matter.

I dunno if I actually feel this way overall, but I think I can sum up some of this as... the Mana Beast may have cost the game a whole point by itself.  5/10

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
My first Tales game: Beaten

Last stretch of the game went by the quickest.  Partly because I wasn't constantly broke, partly because I've gotten better at defense.  Did get stuck a few times and resorted to a walkthough (that damned wind plant dungeon).  Did some of the more easily accessible sidequests though not any that require going into the final dungeon first.  Levels were about 55-59 at the end of the game.  Sheena lagged behind at 55, being dead at the end of boss fights tend to put her behind the EXP growth.  Not too much thought into beating the final boss besides having enough stats and items to muscle thorough.  Colette ending path.  Am already replaying to go for a different ending path.  Earlygame will probably go smoother now that my skill level has improved.  Yes, I did enjoy the game overall and find it worth what I spent on it.

With 100% EXP sharing for out of battle characters, not a whole lot of incentive to rotate characters.  Lloyd, Presea, Zelos, Raine was my go-to group for boss fights unless someone else is required or someone was unavailable.  I did rotate out of habit and during dungeon treks (because cooking benefits all 8 members at once) though still feel there are large chasms in usefulness between the party members.

Various character thoughts: Will be commenting only on battle performance for now; will put other thoughts in a separate post, including unflattering nicknames for them.

Lloyd: The main character is the one I controlled most of the time.  Good attack speed, movement speed, wide variety of useful techs.  Good HP and defense really helped out since I took a lot of abuse.  Only weak points are low max TP and gameworst Int. and the second mostly is immaterial at endgame.  AI is competent with him if I had a higher priority character to control.

Colette: Good god, the AI isn't very good with her.  Too apt to insist on trying to use angelic skills when there are enemies after her. and getting interrupted  Low defense meant I didn't take her into boss fights unless it was required or she could snipe weakness.  Mostly needed to control her directly if I don't want her doing something stupid.  As the only party member with a stealing skill, I pulled her out quite a bit for randoms.

Genis: He stays busier than the mages in Star Ocean 2, a nice improvement.  AI is also better at storing enemy weaknesses.  Don't think I ever controlled him directly; AI does a good enough job with him.  Attack magic is nice since enemies can't block it.  Still, he suffers from Being a Mage in an Action RPG so I tend to leave him out against the harder bosses.

Kratos: His First Aid was what saved me from my incompetence when I was starting out.  An automatic pick in boss fights since I needed all the healing I could get.  AI doesn't use his attack spells (on default behavior anyways and I didn't learn that one could directly command allies to use spells until disc 2).  Also tends to put a high priority on healing so it's important to keep enemies off him lest he get stuck in a heal loop. (which I saw quite a lot of in failed boss fights when he's the only one left)  Good stat growth makes things even better.

Raine: Starting out, she exists to be a healing battery and is inferior in randoms so is often on the bench during that long stretch with 5 party members.  The overall usefulness flips as her skillset expands and she becomes a vital member in boss fights.  AI loves to waste MP on her support spells and using the reserve settings risks her not using a heal when I need it.  If I am using her in a random, I'm often controlling her directly with the intent on staff bashing some enemies to build up her TP.  Other main reason for her to be in randoms is when there are enemies that poison about.  Arguably the most important party member despite my frustrations with her AI though I do find it important to keep a stock of gels to keep her casting.

Sheena: May be the most frustrating character to use.  For the most part, she can only fight at point blank range.  With her low HP and defense, she tends to die easily.  Especially frustrating once she starts gaining summons since they require Overlimit to use.  Which isn't going to happen much if she keeps dying.  Possibly the least survivable character in a boss fight. (Genis is more fragile but stays in the back) So of course the game is mean and makes her required for a lot of tough boss fights.  (grumble)  I didn't get any titles for her until about Lv 33 which makes things worse.

Presea: AI seems to control her better than me.  When I control her, I seem to get clobbered during the startup delay of most of her moves.  Seems to be gamebest physical durability which is very valuable for my playstyle due to the amount of abuse I endure.  Has a wide swing arc and a number of techs that hit on both sides so she's adept at occupying multiple enemies.  Seems to have the best innate attack but lack of easily accessible Str boosting titles leads to others overtaking her in attack power.

Zelos: Joins soon after Kratos takes off because Plot and has the same skill selection.  So I put him at the same high level of overall usefulness.  I feel Zelos is a more useful party member because of his Personal EX skill.  Free items have much higher utility than step regen in towns.  If I'm in a town, there's going to be an inn around so Kratos' Personal is meh.  I didn't learn many of his skills since I guess they require the higher level spells and I didn't start training magic until late.

Regal: Well, he's fun to use with him playing most like a fighting game character.  Even if I suck with him.  His attack speed leaves a bit to be desired and his healing isn't as good as Zelos' so he's prime benchwarmer material.  While he doesn't have as long startup as Precis' normal attack, Presea smacks harder and Lloyd/Zelos hit faster so they're better at reducing enemy numbers quickly.  AI is alright with him other than being unable to use Mirage, which is awesome and unique to Regal.  Has potential to be incredible in the right hands but not mine.  Didn't get any titles for him for even longer than Sheena, about Lv 37 which put him even farther behind.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
SaGa Scarlet Grace - Decided to start this up because it’s just been released for the Switch in December, and I heard good things about its combat. I started with Taria’s quest and I’ve just finished Chapter 2, where I defeated the Earth Serpent.

The gameplay is interesting, and primarily revolves around a shared pool of BP, which different moves use different amounts of it, and each turn, you regenerate it and get one more than the last turn, so your options open up as the fight goes on. The other core mechanic is called “Unite Attacks” which is, when someone dies, enemy or ally, a unite attack is performed if two people on the same side move in the turn order next to each other. It took me a little bit of time to adjust to the system, but you learn a few tricks. Don’t  have an almost-dead ally between two enemies. If there are three enemies in a row in the turn order, either get an ally between them or do not kill the middle one! And generally maneuvering your turns to be between almost-dead enemies and offing them is one of the soundest strategies. Unite attacks reduce the cost of your moves on the next turn and do a bunch of free damage to a (random?) enemy.

The game encourages you to rotate between characters and generally have a bit of a stable of characters to draw from. If your characters die in battle, they lose an LP, and unlike in SaGa Frontier, you can’t just go to a normal Inn and pay a pittance of gold to regenerate it. Instead, you give up a valuable resource to heal LP most of the time. However, if you take the unit out of battles for two consecutive battles, you will regenerate 1 LP back. This means that having a few different units to sub in is a good idea, especially since the game is not particularly easy on the default difficulty. (I wouldn’t say it is unreasonably hard either, but generally pleasantly challenging.) I think I’ve recruited 15 or so characters so far; 10 that I use regularly as PCs, and 5 I use as quest monkeys (there are little quests in the game that you can do to give you stuff, kinda like FFT propositions.)

The game doesn’t have dungeons or anything, so you mostly just engage with enemies whenever you want. I generally try to fight some enemies in an area that I enter to get some stones. The stones are used to refine your weapons to higher level weapons. There are different types of weapons that have different niches, kinda like SaGa Frontier, but I have found that the skillsets grow very slowly relative to SF and in particular I have had the same magic skillset for a very long time with Taria. Incidentally, mages don’t seem very good at keeping up with the other characters thanks to the charge times of most of their moves. The only move I particularly like of Taria’s is Poison, and because it doesn’t always kick in, it’s not very reliable. But damn is it useful against big bosses when it does! Otherwise I find her skillset a bit lacking.

One of my issues with the gameplay is the lack of customizability outside of combat. Unlike SaGa Frontier, where you choose your skillsets and tinker with them over time and based on need, the game is very static for skillsets, and as I said before, you don’t get as many skills and there aren’t as many cool options. There is weapon forging, but it is a pretty boring mechanic. I feel like the best games for gameplay have both good in-battle and out-of-battle things to do, and this game really only has interesting in-battle stuff. Still, the gameplay is pretty fun and has kept me entertained, although the lack of growing skillsets has made the game feel a bit repetitive.

The game also has nice music, in the vein of the other SaGa games that I have played. Nothing as kickin’ as some of Romancing SaGa Minstrel Saga’s stuff, but overall the game is nice to listen to.

The game really fails to engage on axes outside of gameplay. The plot is extraordinarily boring; probably worse than most SNES RPGs and definitely worse than SaGa Frontier, which I don’t say lightly. I spent all of Chapter 1 chasing a Phoenix, with interspersed dialogue between the main character Taria, who is about as interesting as an average SaGa main, and Khan, who has about as much personality as Liza (so very little). There has been basically no other characters who have participated in the plot at all, and I think the character with the third most lines probably has about 20. The setting is really bland; there are no towns, and all of the different regions just blend together in this vague, unremarkable sludge. I contrast the game, again, to SaGa Frontier, which doesn’t have the best setting work of all time but at least its setpiece worlds each evoke a unique feel (Koorong feels like a seedy city, Manhattan feels like a rich person paradise, Devin is Sedona, Arizona, etc.). This game’s different regions just feel like variations on bland fantasy tropes. The game has no towns or interesting people to talk to, and most of the dialogue is dedicated to lore, as often as not unrelated to the events that are going on.

When I say I spent all of Chapter 1 chasing a Phoenix, what I mean is that I used the Phoenix feather, a Phoenix flew around the screen, and then I solved some JRPG problem, and then I repeated this about ten times. That was literally the plot. Amazing.

Anyway, I will finish Taria’s quest, but I don’t think I will play any of the other quests.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
SaGa Scarlet Grace - Got to the final boss, which apparently spams 2HKO MT damage with status attached. I tinkered around with some strategies with Protect / Deflect / healing, but the damage outpaced my healing because healing in this game is pretty bad. I looked online for strategies and the strategies largely boiled down to “have way more HP than I do, which requires 5-10 hours of extra grinding”. Exciting. So I guess I’m done? 4.5/10.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
Trails to Azure: Finished this over a series of Subway rides. Long story short - it's good. I plan to do a big breakdown about this game and it's themes along with the duology it creates with Zero. People have said that Crossbell arc is probably the best of the Trails games, and I'm inclined to agree. Part of this is also because I was more impressed by Azure than I was with Cold Steel 3, but also because Azure was created earlier and doesn't have the issues that Cold Steel 3 has despite being like 7 years younger, while still holding up pretty well. More on this later - I have a lot to say about this game.

Trails to Cold Steel 3: Completed. Final playtime was 104 hours. Overall, pretty game but I have more gripes about it than Azure. More about this later as well. Gathering all my thoughts and planning to write a breakdown. Already slowing doing a character breakdown in RPG Discussion forum.

FF7: Replaying this due to needing a new subway game and also because of the demo for the remake being released. I had more fun than I expected, but I think 8/10 is probably right for this game. One thing I never really thought much about but definitely agree with Super now is how strong Independent Materia are as a whole. There's a series of really good materia sets but HP Plus/Counter attack/Long Range are all extremely strong. Cover effectively shuts down enemy physicals and then there are stat boosts. The hidden stat gains on equipment is one of my biggest gripes as the effects are pretty notable once you start stacking. Command is great too, since it includes Mug/Deathblow/Double Cut and the extremely broken E. Skill - more on this in a bit. I used significantly less Magic materia and almost no Summon materia as a result. Just have some last bits to wrap up - namely Battle Square and Chocobo Breeding but I'm not in a rush for either. Gonna need another subway game now - I'm open to suggestions for the Vita.

More re: E.Skill - This materia is broken in very many ways. We already knew this. But just to name a few:

1) It obsoletes a bunch of materia (Flamethrower is basically Fire 2, Trine is basically Bolt 2 All, Big Guard is Time + Barrier just for shits and giggles)
2) It only costs one materia slot allowing you to do more complex set ups or use better equipment with limited slots
3) It doesn't need any AP, meaning a bunch of Zero growth weapons/armor are compatible with it without losing effectiveness
4) There are a bunch of unique effects on it that are very difficult to replicate (Aqualung) or impossible altogether (Death Sentence)
5) It completely obsoletes Ethers (most of the time) making your ability to sustain yourself nigh endless.
6) Not placement specific

The last one is double edged - it's flexible as you can slot it anywhere, as opposed to magic/support/summon depending on what you want to do with it...but that's mainly because it doesn't work with Support materia. At the same time, it's so strong it doesn't care about lack of Support Materia. The fact that a character built to be a fighter can wield E.Skill with no real disadvantage (White Wind > Cure as long as your HP is over 40% or so) speaks to it's strengths.

And yes I realize the irony of writing more about FF7 despite saying I have more to say on two Trails games. Shush.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
One thing to keep in mind about Enemy Skill is that it's somewhat balanced around the knowledge needed to use it. For instance, White Wind is somewhat unlikely to be found until late without a guide, and Big Guard is unlikely to be found without a guide at all. It's unquestionably overpowered if you know where to get all the relevant skills ASAP though.

Another oddly balanced skillset is Summon. From Choco-Mog to before you get Aqualung, and then again from Leviathan/Kjata/Bahamut onwards, Summon has a notable leg up on Enemy Skill (and Magic) as your most damaging MT attacks. However, they take a very long time to animate. So how "good" they are in practice depends a lot on how you feel about sitting through them.

I'm currently playing Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark and it is really good, highly recommended for anyone who likes FFT because this game sure is FFT, but with enough things re-imagined to be fresh and fun. I'm near the end and will say more when I'm done.

Maybe.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
One thing to keep in mind about Enemy Skill is that it's somewhat balanced around the knowledge needed to use it. For instance, White Wind is somewhat unlikely to be found until late without a guide, and Big Guard is unlikely to be found without a guide at all. It's unquestionably overpowered if you know where to get all the relevant skills ASAP though.

Oh 100% agreed. I was going to mention that in my post but somehow it got lost in the shuffle. E.Skill/Blue Magic has always been a little like that though FF7 is different in that Manipulate exists and some E.Skills are clearly Manipulate only (Big Guard being the main case). Of course, you're likely to pick up a couple of good E.Skills without trying and even if you don't have the whole list, it's still pretty damn good.

Another oddly balanced skillset is Summon. From Choco-Mog to before you get Aqualung, and then again from Leviathan/Kjata/Bahamut onwards, Summon has a notable leg up on Enemy Skill (and Magic) as your most damaging MT attacks. However, they take a very long time to animate. So how "good" they are in practice depends a lot on how you feel about sitting through them.

I have some mixed feelings on Summons as a whole. There's a time period when they are quite useful but somewhere around start of D2, they start tapering. I think that's about when you get Tier 3s and the support materia start getting more varied than just "All". One of the main issues with FF7 is that most of monsters have junk for HP and durability, so it doesn't take more than a jacked up Magic Trine/Tier 3 to eliminate groups. When Tier 3s start doing enough, summons start losing some of their value. KOTR and Bahamut Zero are great but those are late game and have lots of other competition at that point.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 08:46:12 PM by Tide »
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself