imageRegister

Author Topic: What games are you playing 2019?  (Read 32489 times)

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What games are you playing 2019?
« Reply #225 on: November 15, 2019, 05:09:47 PM »
Romancing Saga 3 - Help I'm trapped in a saga game with even less direction than usual. I have bought many businesses but have no actual money but riding boats costs money and where the fuck do I go to find quests and things that give money?

Ellen start, did the Pidonia stuff and rescued a kid from the archfiend tower after going the wrong way and getting my shit caved in by demons. Twice. Some horrible pink child forced her way into my team and then left as soon as I got on a boat? I have 600au left to my name and no idea which of these boat destinations(that cost 200 or more to go to!) has Adventure. I have so far determined it is not the desert town(though I did find some cultists in the desert but they don't want to fight(yet?)) and not the tennis town(seriously it's called wimlbledon or something).

At least punching things is fun? Also will Sarah and Tom please start gaining some MP, being able to only cast magic like 6 times before they run out is getting very old.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 05:18:19 PM by VySaika »
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 16, 2019, 03:34:52 AM »
Romancing Saga 3 - Help I'm trapped in a saga game with even less direction than usual. I have bought many businesses but have no actual money but riding boats costs money and where the fuck do I go to find quests and things that give money?

Ellen start, did the Pidonia stuff and rescued a kid from the archfiend tower after going the wrong way and getting my shit caved in by demons. Twice. Some horrible pink child forced her way into my team and then left as soon as I got on a boat? I have 600au left to my name and no idea which of these boat destinations(that cost 200 or more to go to!) has Adventure. I have so far determined it is not the desert town(though I did find some cultists in the desert but they don't want to fight(yet?)) and not the tennis town(seriously it's called wimlbledon or something).

At least punching things is fun? Also will Sarah and Tom please start gaining some MP, being able to only cast magic like 6 times before they run out is getting very old.

Go to Lance and do the delivery quest there.
Keep on beating bandits until they tell you where their hide out is and beat the boss there.
Then help professor retrieve her pets and do the mouse quest.
Then head back to see Muse and do her dream quest. MAKE SURE TO FIND SILVER GAUNTLET in the dream. Permanently miss-able, so make sure you find it.
Then head to Vanguard and do the quest there.
Then head to Mozes and deceive both Undine and Vulcano to obtain the shield in the well. This is a hard early game quest, but if you can beat it, then you are ready to do a lot of thing.
I recommend recruiting Herman after this and begin the Mixmum quest.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 17, 2019, 03:51:57 PM »
So yes, I still play games. Kinda...

SD Gundam G Generation F:
Wow, okay. This beast took me about 5 months of playing to beat the entire main game. It was released back in early 2000s so it doesn't include any of the newer Gundam series. It starts with the original Gundam and works itself up to Gundam X. The way the main game is set up, each series or OVA represents a Campaign (8-10 stages) or a Sidequest (2-3 stages). Altogether, this makes up for a total of 110 stages, with some stages sometimes having a two parter. Each part to a stage can take a long time too, because even skipping battle animations, the game has to show damage dealt to each unit on each phase. Think of it as like FE9's animations skip. It skips the big dramatic zoom ups, but you still see the units of the map interacting. So that's why this took so long. It also didn't help I primarily played this game while on the subway to work, so my sessions were limited to 1-2 hours at a time.

Anyway, since the game held my attention for that long, you probably already realized that I think this game is pretty solid and that would be right. It's not as deep as XF or FFT, but it certainly has its own beauty and charm in it's simplicity. There are some obvious complaints - the biggest one being that the game doesn't do much of a damage forecast. SRPGs without this feature can be quite frustrating, but to it's credit, the damage formula is actually so simple that I was able to decode it years before even joining the DL. This means that while the game itself doesn't tell you how much damage to expect, you can certain easily calculate it if you wish. Still no excuse though. The other big complaint is that once you start a story, you have to play it to completion. You can't grind along the way and there's no way of knowing if a certain stage just gets you stuck and you have no way of beating it. This is mostly negative (ala FFT's infamous Velius lockout) but it also means that the game won't force you to grind unless you choose (or messed up in previous stages - see below).

You have a select group of guest units that you own and can take into every stage. Usually this only applies to the second part of the stage (which typically is more massive) but they are often required in campaigns as the game expects you to do certain things while playing. The chief amongst these is to do what it refers to as "ACEing" or getting the ACE data for a mobile suit (MS)/Gundam. Once you have the ACE data, you can add its blueprints to your factory, which you can then produce for your guest units. You get story units too in every stage, but just as it is in the series plot, sometimes you are massively outnumbered, outclassed or out-piloted, so guest units become mandatory. Certain stages add a "Home Base", which you can launch your warships and mechs from but you have to protect. Protecting this base is sometimes impossible if you don't have strong guest units since you may only get 2 story units in a level to do everything against 50+ enemies.

Overall, I think this sits somewhere at around 7/10 for me. It's pretty challenging at times and the added secondary goals can give each level a nice spin on the objective. AFAIK there is no English patch so if you want to give it a spin yourself, you're gonna have to deal with everything being in Japanese. Not a huge deal, but since this is a SRPG, it can be a little more annoying. Some other gameplay thoughts below:

- What's really interesting about the game is that it tends to follow a couple of rules in its design. One of these rules is that every MS has a weakness - whether it's bad attack/defense, bad weaponry, lack of movement, etc. This makes it such that the more units you ACE out, the more tools you have in your kit to deal with the threats. It's a way of constantly encouraging you to improve your armory instead of just using one or two suits, so this is neat
- The game has a lot of misleading objectives, which can be very frustrating. I remember one level in Zeta Gundam where the objective is to beat Four's Psycho Gundam - a MS with massive UA/UD and it's only weakness is that it cannot attack at melee range. The problem here was that there is not way for Camil to get into threat range without take a ton of damage. You get Amuro too in this stage but he's tied to a Warship zone and can't move outside of it, meaning for all intents and purposes, Camil's all you get. And his death or Amuro's leads of a defeat. I spent like 3 days on this stage along trying to figure out how to kill Four before I realized that Camil can outkite him. I then tried to lure Four back into a range where Amuro can help out. Even with Amuro, I could only deal about 65%, but I decided to go for it anyway. After one attack, Four retreated because I had taken him below 50%, which was the true victory condition. GDI
- On that regard with the above, there are bonus objectives that sometimes takes you to the true stage or the 2nd part and it plays a FMV when this happens. These are neat and the game rewards you with extra funds for triggering them. They aren't always easy to get so they can make for an interesting challenge too.
- The game is definitely designed for you to start with Campaigns first instead of Side stories. Most side stories have absolutely brutal part 2s that can be almost impossible (Char's Counterattack) if it was your very first series choice. Flip side, most Campaign's part 2s are relatively simple and give you time to build up your armory. The only part 2 in a side story that I can get through is GW's Endless Waltz.
- On Series challenge, as noted above, a lot of side stories are very tough without strong guest units. Chief amongst these include: Char's Counterattack, Gundam F91, Sentinel Gundam, Gundam Wing - Dual Story. On the easier side of things: Gundam Wing, Gundam Wing Endless Waltz, Crossbone Gundam, G Gundam
- Gundam Wing IMO is probably actually the easiest campaign and thus series to begin with. There are a couple of reasons for this. 1) The MS you get from story units often outdwarf the enemies in stats. So just like in the series, it is quite easy for Heero to take on 14 Leos without breaking a sweat. 2) The 5 Gundam Wing pilots all have high stats. Average stats in this game for the combat ones hover around 20ish. Many series protagonists or allied characters will be around there or in their teens. The Wing boys break this rule in that they all have stats that average to 30. All 5 have combat stat totals that add up to 90, which means they have 1.5x more stat points than average
- One of the things I still don't understand is Newtype level. It only appears for Newtype characters and can range from 1-9. However, it seems to be a stat multiplier instead of a flat increase. How much it increases by I'm not sure, but it's what makes certain pilots such as Amuro/Camil/Quattro really good as they have strong combat stats + a NT level
- Damage formula is basically Base attack damage (from selected attack) x Unit Attack /  Unit Defense x Tension multiplier. If Tension multiplier is maxed, the attack always crits. Certain attacks have a randomized attack value which goes from it's minimum to the displayed number. I haven't figured out the bare minimum here since I rarely used them as they are often unreliable except as a finisher.

Some really good units that everyone playing this game should be adding to their roster:
- [-] Gundam - If you're playing from the earlier side of the series, this is a great suit to add to your blueprints. Strong UA/UD and has excellent weaponry.
- ZZ Gundam - 5000 base melee attack is nothing to scoff at. It also has a very powerful MAP attack (attacks that ignore evade and hit everything in their path - friendly fire be damned) and can transform into a plane for bonus mobility
- S-Gundam EX - See [-] Gundam. Very strong for what it is.
- Crossbone Gundam X1 - Each of the crossbones are worth adding for different reasons aside from their good UA/UD. For X1, it's because it has a range 2-3 melee attack, which amongst suit weaknesses, having poor range 2 weaponry is a big one. So the fact that it has a strong usable melee at 2-3 range is a big deal
- Crossbone Gundam X2 - X2 doesn't have the 2-3 melee range, instead it has the super range option. A huge ass cannon it can fire at 5-6 range for 6000 base damage. You can't use it that often but it works as a snipe as 6 range will outrange most enemies in the game. And that base damage is amazing. Not many attacks in the game will beat it.
- Crossbone Gundam X3 - X3 comes with a built in Ion Field (immunes Beam 1 attacks, halves Beam 2) and like ZZ Gundam, a base attack damage at melee range for 5000.
- Gundam F90 - F90 has a very unique advantage that many other suits do not have. It can change its auxiliary functions to fight more effectively in different environments, but it is also the only that has a very effective underwater mode. Underwater fighting is rare, but exists and not many suits are actually good at it. F90 scoffs at that and performs amicably where most suits have reduced effectiveness.
- Gundam F91 - Aside from strong stats and good weaponry, it also has a built in Flight mode, making it great at melee combat for any battles on earth. There are a few like this, but F91 is amongst one of the most balanced.
- Gundam Maxter - Average UA/UD but like Crossbone X1, has a strong 2-3 range melee attack. G Gundam series gundams have a "weakness" where once their tension is maxed, their weapons change and they all cost you your tension bar. Maxter however, retains a 2-3 option that doesn't drain tension, making it very effective at scoring consecutive kills.
- Master Gundam - Excellent UA/UD and has a great 2-2 melee range attack. When it reaches max tension, gets a ridiculous MAP attack that basically kills almost anything.
- Wing Gundam - Primarily useful for combining ACE data, which is a function at the end of a level that allows you to create additional blueprints. The suit itself is not bad, but there are better versions of it. You can do a comedy strat if you have enough money to blow to use its melee MAP attack. It deals 99999 damage but also destroys the suit itself.
- Gundam Sandrock/ Sandrock Kai - Sandrock the OG has a 2-2 melee option called Cross Crusher that deals 5000 damage at base. This is huge and makes Sandrock keeping on the roster despite receiving upgrades to it. Sandrock Kai, the upgraded form loses this weapon for a replacement uzi that deals only 2500 at base and is randomized. Huge losing trade. But in return, it gains +3 UA/UD, much better mobility in space and at least the uzi is cost efficient as an attack. The definitive Sandrock model to keep if you can only hold 1
- Altron Gundam - Altron has amazing weapons. That's what it comes down to. A 5-5 melee attack, a 3-5 Beam option that hits twice and even a randomized damage attack for the gamblers in you. Like Sandrock, basically the superior version of its MS family.
- Gundam Deathscythe Hell Custom - Gundam Deathscythe HC is basically superior to all its previous models. And it's absolutely retarded: Built in flight mode, 1-3 Melee attack that is almost 5000 at base (4800), innate Beam Coat, innate Hyper Jammer system (+10 Pilot evade) and good UA and UD. Definitely want to keep one of these on hand.
- Wing Gundam Zero/Wing Gundam Zero Custom - Both versions have innate Zero System, which adds +20 to both range and melee combat stats. Both machines are also very mobile and have good weapons in general. Wing Zero has a wide range map attack but its very difficult to set up without friendly fire that is its chief draw. If you don't care for it, Wing Zero Custom is better. For one, innate flight mode. Then it has the most damaging base attack that I'm aware of: Twin Buster rifle that does 4000 damage x2. So on a clean hit, it's 8000 damage, which is just ridiculous. In my completed game, this thing has 39 bonus levels, primarily because of this attack, making it an extremely effective nuke on almost anything.
- Mercurius - Mercurius has mediocre weaponry, but that's not why you use it. You use it because it has innate Planetary Defense Systems, which gives you ranged immunity. Due to AI quirks, this function makes your borderline immortal and is useful for training weaker guests.
- Tallgeese 3 - Tallgeese 3 is basically the best version of all the Tallgeese and technically a superior Epyon too. It loses 2 UA but gains 1 UD. It has 2 extra attacks, one of which is a useful map Support and ridiculous movement. No Zero System though. Great for any well trained guest.
- Gundam Leopard/Leopard Destroy - You will notice Heavyarms was not on the list. This is because Gundam Leopard exists. They basically have almost the same stats and weaponry except: 1) Leopard OG can fight better effectively underwater, giving it a unique niche. It also has +1 UD just for insult to injury 2) Leopard Destroy has much more cost effective weapons. It's missiles only comes around 10% of its energy as opposed to the 20% on Heavyarms Kai. It does lose 1 range, but the effectiveness more than makes up for it.
- Gundam Airmaster Burst - This thing has an attack in it's plane mode that does 2000 damage x4. Again, 8000 base damage is silly. AND it's mobile. It's chief weakness is that it has poor 1-2 range and none of it's attacks are classified as melee, so it gets stonewalled by Virgos and the like.
- Gundam Versago Chest Break/Gundam Ashterion Hermit Crab - Both suits belong to the Frost Brothers and it takes a little work to add these to your roster but its worth it. Great UA and UD and great weaponry in general, along with Flight mode and a good MAP attack for support.
- Beltigo - It's UA and UD are alright but similar to Maxter, it makes up for it in weaponry. Beltigo has 4 attacks and all 4 are effective in someway depending on the situation.
- Gundam DX - Great UA and UD but actually kinda underwhelming. You'll use it chiefly for the melee and MAP support. The other two attacks are a bit junky. Needs the G-Falcon combined Data to be a real nuisance.
- Psychoro Gundam - Ridiculous UA and UD (50 for both). Innate Ion Field. Huge HPs. However, getting one is another story. You basically need to capture an enemy unit, and then level it up repeatedly and upgrade it's model at every opporunity to the right path. Then you need to ACE that suite, get its data and combine it with another suit to get to the Psycho Gundam series. From there, upgrade the suit model like 5 more times and voila. It does kinda break the game with its stats, but given the effort, it better!

<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 22, 2019, 12:25:35 AM »
Niu: Thanks! Took me awhile to find Lance tho. @_@

Anyway...RS3: Found some dude named Ward on my way to Lance. The boss at the lake was A Regenerating Bitch but I managed to slug it down. Recruited Ward full time and he's a beefy boi with a big sword who does lots of damage and don't afraid of anything. Eventually found Lance, picked up that quest and snoozed my way through bandits until....

...the bandit boss. So THIS MOTHERFUCKER. He never stops summoning minions who clog up the front line so my fighters can never FREAKING HIT HIM. My "mages" are Thomas and Sarah who have like...12mp max and do roughly lukewarm garbage magic damage yet. And then he busts out Tornado Sword and puts my entire team to Almost Dead except that he does OHKO Sarah. I'm sure I could bring him down, but you can't attack the back row with melee and my team is very melee heavy for real damage. Sarah is an archer...but she does slightly less lukewarm garbage damage with her bow(like...does she ever get good? She's LVP by miles rn. Shitty physicals, shitty magic, shitty HP, the works) so that's not nearly enough. I think I need a better bow for her? But haven't found one in a shop yet. Mostly finding Swords and Rapiers which I don't have anyone using! :V

EDIT: Okay so on the refight he didn't summon as many guards and I snuck in enough damage? Kay. I have now found THE PROFESSOR and her amazing entrance, but she does not ask me about finding any missing pets. I did find mice in a cave and uhhhhhhh I reloaded from before I entered the cave because that was an absolutely awful fight. :V
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 05:08:23 AM by VySaika »
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 23, 2019, 03:48:57 AM »
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - So they finally patched the Switch version. It's still not perfect performance-wise but good enough for me.

Game is thoroughly enjoyable. I'm surprised to the extent it's basically more Order of Ecclesia, but since OoE is the Dark Holy Elf Official Best Castlevania, this is the best outcome for me. It shares the varied glyph shard system (though there are some differences), the tendency for areas to be tough gauntlets as you search for the next save/warp point, and has some really great boss fights (at least if you don't spam items, c'mon this is an Igavania), the type which kill you many times until you get good but you can see how perfecting them is always within reach because they're very fair and well-designed. I just beat the boss in Hidden Desert, about 64% map completion or so.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 23, 2019, 06:38:20 PM »
EDIT: Okay so on the refight he didn't summon as many guards and I snuck in enough damage? Kay. I have now found THE PROFESSOR and her amazing entrance, but she does not ask me about finding any missing pets. I did find mice in a cave and uhhhhhhh I reloaded from before I entered the cave because that was an absolutely awful fight. :V

First, if Sarah is not your main, kick her ASAP. She is going to permanent leave eventually.

There four spirit type monster in the forest. Those are her pets. Give it back to her and she'll help you on the mice.
Start the mice quest and fight the mice first, then retreat. Then exist the cave (some one will be there to open the entrance.)
Then go to see Professor for help. She'll give you an item that can show you which is the real mice. Then go back to fight the mice again.

After this. See if you can activate Muse's dream quest. And try to travel to the inner area of Demon King's Castle. Where you'll find a door that ask you for a ring.
You can find the ring in Lance from someone. You can then exploit the Ring bug for infinite money.
After that, you can enter the Holy King's Trial in Lance with the ring. There is one specific trial that pits you to fight strong monsters. You can use the Giant and Sun Flower to grind techs. Since you can freely enter and exist the fights in the trial.
Do grind some Command Mode techs too. It'll be very handy later on. (You can access command mode by putting the MC at the back row.)

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 23, 2019, 08:53:45 PM »
Oh and I realize I never even posted about Code Vein, the game which tests the hypothesis of "how much more would Elf like Dark Souls if it actually had even slightly engaging plot/characters"? Turns out, it helps decently. Telling the story of the world through all the memory flashbacks is an interesting conceit and I think the game pulls it off reasonably well, although I did feel the final conflict felt a bit underbaked. Never a game I'd play solely for writing, but it didn't completely embarrass itself. Gameplaywise, well, it's not an all-time favourite (the RPG side of things feels a bit clunky and tacked on as it often does in these games) but I definitely get into the high-stakes 3D action. Some of the random gauntlets could be quite challenging, especially in the first half of the game, so reaching another save point is always a relief (hmm, wonder what that reminds me of), and bosses are great. More consistent than Souls was, I literally died to every boss at least once and the tough ones really made me get good. Especially That One Boss Fight against two foes at once, as if Dark Souls hadn't already taught me how brutal those could be. Aesthetically, I liked the character customization options but have mostly forgotten the music already, though I appreciate that at least it had music in random battles I guess. Good lord do the Nier games kill the rest of this genre in music use.

7/10 area, could actually see myself playing it again sometime.

Maybe.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #232 on: November 25, 2019, 02:22:05 AM »
Atelier Lulua- fin.

So having skipped the intervening games between Ayesha and Lulua (for now), the drift in the series has actually gotten quite noticeable.  That lulua actually brings back all the Arland staples makes this stand out even more.  Like... oh, I can fuck around and take my time and get everything?  Weird.  Took me a good 3 chapters to realize it was okay.

Anyway the main gimmick of Alchemyriddle, where it gives you a general idea of what you should to doing and a big ol' list of bonus objectives, but you have to kinda explore to have the hints make sense, is neat.  At least for ones that are more "visit this dungeon" or "synthesize this item".  The stuff that's dependent on Item Quality or spamming particular items in battle are legit just too vague, doubly so for quests that don't actually tell you item quality is even in play.  I mean, eventually you will, but yeah, it's a game where I was happy to have FAQs just to speed things up for myself.

Honestly though it's a weird experience because Lulua as a game goes far more for sincere emotion than any of the Arland games did.  Totori does it once in a while, but they very carefully spaced that out throughout the game, two or three key moments with a lot of growing up and faffing in between.  Lulua has a much sharper divide between the silly bits, which is mostly non-mandatory events and about half of character skits, but the main plot is always focused on her goals and growth and about half the character stuff is actually pretty serious.

Granted there's also Shonen Arm Wrestling and the entire Curry quest but.

To an extent I do feel like the battle system, while it has enough to keep you with it, is a bit striped down in a way?  Like for the most part it seems like most fights were determined before you started based on knowing the right item to slot in for Interrupt and the raw stat check, and while there WAS strategy for the most part there's a fairly simple ideal strat for every party setup and it's just a matter of executing it reliably.  But then again, out of 11 chapters you don't actually fight a "real" boss until chapter 9, at which point there's 5 total, so... there's a lot of combat due to how alchemyriddle and unlocking character skits works but for the most part it's not a substantial part of the experience?  I dunno how to describe that part of it.

But honestly it's been ages since I played Atelier and Lulua is fairly charming and Eva is Very Gay and it was entirely pleasant to revisit the series with this particular incarnation.  7/10
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 29, 2019, 04:18:33 AM »
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - Beat this. Game clock was 14 hours, but the Switch assures me I was actually playing for 25-30 (I imagine most of the extra hours are from deaths and a bit from loading times). 99% map exploration.

This game was extremely fun! It's a new Igavania, which certainly had potential to be good, but still my expectations were tempered because Kickstarter games are a big "who knows" (Mighty No. 9 is overhated but I'd never call it a particularly great game), and y'know I only really loved one Igavania, which is Order of Ecclesia.

So it's a good thing Bloodstained is basically Order of Ecclesia 2019, isn't it?

By which I mean holy hell this game has some great boss fights. The game provides fluid action 2D platforming on an extremely high level and then designs battles to take full advantage of it. I love the first half of the final battle so much that I stubbornly kept with my usual Castlevania "no items" policy even though it meant I was at the final battle for some 4-5 hours, but it's just the capstone to a series of great designs.

Other things... getting from save point to save point is also fun and in a good place challenge-wise, I don't have too much to say about it but it certainly pushed me in a good way, and made me learn how to approach certain enemies and groups of enemies better. The game does the standard Metroidvania "get power ups, go more places" loop fine, though unexceptionally (I did love how the lategame "platforming powerups" actually prove super-useful in combat too though). The shard system feels a bit bloated compared to OoE's glyphs but it's not a major complaint. Plot uh is there I guess, I think it's a story about stubborn men who refuse to tell me anything because they think my feeble female brain can't handle it resulting in the villain being able to pull a fast one on all of us? That's what I took from it anyway.

Great game regardless. 9/10 area.

Maybe.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 29, 2019, 11:08:26 AM »
Octopath traveler: Working through chapter 1 with Dhyer. Short version: Gameplay is excellent, the writing is atrocious and why the hell does a random old lady in nobletown have a knife that gives 188+ magic attack for stealing?! (I got it on the first try, that is stupid lucky)

Cyrus was picked as the main. Gameplay wise he's quite strong for the MT smash; healer girl from icetown was second, archer girl was third and thief is fourth.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 12:30:57 PM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 29, 2019, 02:44:04 PM »
I think 'the plot is there' is a pretty generous description for Bloodstained's plot. I think Super's description of 'atrocious' describes it quite well actually.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 30, 2019, 05:00:26 PM »
I was able to get PPSSPP working on my phone so I downladed Trails to Zero and Azure to play on my way to work. I am amazed to tell you all that despite my 50% understand of the Chinese language, the post I had written about 1.5 years ago regarding the prologue was surprisingly on point with the translation patch. Either that means my Chinese is better than I thought OR the translation is terrible. Or both. You decide.

Anyway, this is my first time playing older trails games but they have the same sort of set up as Cold Steel (a introductory phase, exploration phase, mission phase). Not sure if this was the case in FC. The orb system also is missing some QoL features, such as being able to look at your entire arts list and get descriptions at the same time. Needing to mix and match to get the right quartz level reminds me of VP2's skill system because there is no documentation or even a memory feature that remembers which quartz levels give you what. As such every menu has taken me like 30 minutes of just fumbling with quartz to get the spell list I wanted. It's probably biggest gripe with the gameplay so far.

Other stuff...
- The game is very laggy. I suspect this is partially due to my phone or the PPSSPP emu not being able to load the game as quickly, but it's functional for what it is.
- I'm only on Chapter 2 so the game hasn't gone anywhere yet really, but I'm sure more will come. For now, it is relatively slow paced.
- Has the known Trails hidden items and objectives and lock outs. So play with a guide or be okay at missing at a lot of stuff. Since I'm playing this mainly on my way to work, I don't have much choice here.
- Phone controls are really awful. It takes forever sometimes to me to get a character to right position on the battle field. I understand this isn't a problem inherent with the game though, so I'm not deducting any points from it.
- On the other hand quick traveling and the map overall is a little clunky. You can't quick travel once you leave town (for some reason) and have to take the bus. Also if you are inside a building, you can't quick travel. Like I said, it's missing some QoL features
- Difficulty right now is actually respectable. I died twice mainly on the Lloyd duel. However, again we're in the early game. So I suspect a lot of the broken hasn't arrived yet.

As for character thus far,

Lloyd...is actually pretty good. He's the only member of the team that passed his Detective certification (cause he went and got it). The set up for his character arc seems pretty obvious at the moment (why he became a detective), but I suspect there might be more to it than that. The game makes him usually come up with most of the theories and solutions, so he's the de-facto leader but it works due to the context of him being an actual detective versus the others. He does seems a little generic otherwise, but is otherwise pretty well written.

Tio has a little too much mystery surrounding her, but still early game. Randy being a flirt is played up quite a bit, but not offensive. Not much on Elie other than "she's there". Rather the supporting cast, namely Sergei and Arios, are the ones that have the most character after Lloyd. Falcom's [pretty good at writing NPCs so this isn't surprising. Hopefully the writing stays sharp though. Sergei for best boss by the way. He pretty much does exactly what I describe in my Chinese translation, then in the next chapter is pretty much like, "Okay guys. You figure it out. I'm having a smoke".

Battlewise, EP has been quite restrictive at the moment. I just unlocked L2 orbments, so that should alleviate some of the EP crunch. It's quite clear this was a balancing mechanic because while spells are largely superior to physicals (as they ignore evade, can hit weakness and generally have much larger AoE), you can't use them all that much so you have to conserve them mainly for important fights. Crafts are also not quite spammable (CP gain in general feels slower) but are much more likely accessible due to being relatively lower cost. For example, Randy's Power Smash only costs 20 CP. He can get here quite frequently or you can have Elie help him out. This results in Randy kind of being the best for most of the early game, capable to dealing with randoms and having a S-craft on deck for bosses. I also crafted a stronger weapon for him because the translation patch translated -20% accuracy to +20% accuracy (how do you mess this up?) so for a while he was hitting notably harder than the others. In addition, Randy's crafts have a bunch of useful status on it while Lloyd's doesn't so yeah. If what Random says its true, he'll get worse as the game goes on, but hey, at least he has 15 minutes of fame.

Elie's also really solid on the account of having a usable physical so she isn't stuck cast spells permanently. Great range also helps since it doesn't require her to have good Move. 5-1 Orbment is great. Not as good 6-0 but she can cast most of the big stuff when needed. Her main issue right now is that her S-craft doesn't do any damage - it just heals. This isn't a *huge* deal because for starters, it means you always have it on deck. So if you get ambushed or get damaged by some unexpected attack, you can S-break and instantly recover. Secondly, it lets her use her "Holy Bullet" craft, which not only heals HP but also gives surrounding allies 20 CP. So she can be a battery...kind of. Not a great one, but it's a unique niche and gives her something to do most of the time. Tio and Lloyd are just okay with Tio being better due to spells being better and Tio generally doing more for the important fights. Lloyd right now is just kind of there. He helps out by drawing enemies away and having a small AoE craft and passable magic, but doesn't shine at all.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 03, 2019, 04:35:12 AM »
13 Sentinel - Game finished. Game length is 30 hours to reach the ending. This definitely my game of the year. I haven't played a Visual Novel this captivating for a long while now.
The real time SLG gameplay also has more complicity and actually challenging, thus fixed what I find lacking in the beta.

I must say this game has good pacing and avoid lard contents, something I hate in VN in general.
The story progress by feeding you information from completely different PoV from, with each PoV focus on different period of time in the story, none stop. It really hooks the player in wanting to find out how things connect, and how some conflicting information manage to be true at the same time. It keeps your brain running all the time to the point of making you feel the reading portion is more exhausting than the SLG portion, yet I just want more.
I spent doing almost nothing in the Thanksgiving weekend playing this simply because I couldn't stop.

Though, the most breath taking moment that made me choked on my own breath is when I was bashed with a super beautiful gay couple in an end game story route where my focus was 100% on the revelation plot. It caught me completely off guard and my mind literally went blank with this sudden ecstasy.
Thank you Vanilla, you are really the best.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 05, 2019, 12:02:32 PM »
Octopath: 8/10 game. I'm not quite done with the main game, but it's just a matter of breezing through the final chapters. Gameplay is good, story is awful as noted above (See Discord comments for more details)

XCOM2- Remains one of the best games released this decade; definitely the best if I'm not counting OMD2 or Defense Grid. 
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 08, 2019, 01:03:56 AM »
CSTW- Picked this back up since I have access to a controller that makes playing on computer bearable. Got just Dacre. Princess Ape was a great fight, but the bosses after her may have less HP unscaled + worse damage and support.
...into the nightfall.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: December 21, 2019, 03:46:18 AM »
Trails to Zero: Finished.  I can say this about the translation patch: While it's not perfect, for what it is, it's decent enough. You will be able to pick up on the major themes, plot, character interactions and the like. So for of you looking for another Trails game while waiting for Cold Steel 4 or something, download PPSSPP and Zero. For a Trails game, it's actually surprisingly short. I clocked in just around 60 hours during the credits roll. It's also better than what I thought it would be, which is saying something given all the high praises I have for Cold Steel 1 and 2.

The really big thing I love about Zero is the theming. Part of this is also how well the game paints the important characters (other than the 4 PCs, the primary supporting characters such as Chief Inspector Dudley and Cecille) but just the writing overall is very on point. You play as 4 Crossbell police officers, who are all new to the department and part of a newly developed section meant to rival the work done by Bracers. Each character has their own reasons for joining and the overall linking concept to the entire story and concept is the idea of Justice. Spoiler territories from here on out, so I suggest you skip the next paragraph if you are intending to play Zero yourself. For the Tide's notes version of reading deeply into the writing, read on:

The idea of the Special Support Service department (SSS) is presented at the beginning of the game to be an idea created by the Police Chief Sergei. He gives you the story that it's meant to gain back the trust of the public because the Crossbell PD is basically seen in a very unfavourable light: being either grossly incompetent or ineffective. It's also what's provided to the government, so you are operating under this notion for the majority of the story that the SSS is meant to be a Public Service Act. In truth however, the idea of the SSS was actually developed by Lloyd's brother Guy, and its true purpose is meant to support the PD by acting in ways that the other divisions cannot. It is for this reason that the SSS kind of operates in its own building and your party is able to move around more freely, since you are "supervised" in a way by Sergei.

And right there, is the heart of the problem in Crossbell. There are criminal groups and lax laws that get circumvented due to corrupt officials and politicians, often taking bribes to release or overlook faults done by these groups as long as no serious violent acts are committed. In such a way, the public's confidence in the PD is undermined because even if caught, these convicts are simply given a slap on the wrist and released. You see this many times both in story quests and side quests. The game is not subtle about the rampant unfairness or seeming lawlessness in the city. As chief inspector Dudley puts it, Crossbell operates under a fragile illusion of order. The PD is actually doing everything it can to prevent major crimes from occurring but in return, it has to look the other way from certain unscrupulous activities. The characters refer to this unfairness as "the wall". More accurately, I suspect the true translation is supposed to be "barrier" since it gives way more meaning to the random battle theme (appropriately called "Get Over the Barrier"). Each character also has their own barrier or struggles they are dealing with that tie to the theme of justice (or lack there of).

For Lloyd, he leaves Crossbell before the game starts and takes the Police and Detective exam, basically following the footsteps of his late brother. You learn in the opening of the game that Guy was killed in action before the game starts, and for a large part of it, Lloyd is trying to live up to his brother's shadow. More importantly though, although the game does not directly state it, you get the feeling that he became a detective to seek justice. Ultimately, the reason he became a detective is so he can look for his brother's killer. Zero doesn't answer this question (and it's one of few that remains a mystery) and it plays to the overall theme as no one is ever served for Guy's death. Growing past Guy and ultimately securing the convict is Lloyd's barrier.

In the case of Elie, you find out that she actually was originally going to become a politician. However, during her childhood, she witnesses how ineffective the Crossbell government is when all the reforms proposed by her father are overturned and political opinion turned against him, leading to the divorce of her parents. She winds up in the Special Support section as she feels that being in the forefront dealing with the public will be more effective versus taking up office in the government. For her, the fact that her father's proposals, which would have supported the most vulnerable in Crossbell were overturned becomes a sort of injustice even if it was within the rules so to speak. Being in the SSS becomes her means of crossing the barrier.

Randy is more simple. You are told very early on that he was transferred due to "women problems" while he served as Guardian Force (basically Crossbell's national guard). You later find out that actually, all his former co-workers have no issues with him and that it was instead because he had a falling out with the base commander, who you then later find out, is basically inept and taking bribes from the mafia. You also find out that at one point, he actually was part of a Jaeger corp, and he joined the Guardian Force to put that past behind him. In similar ways, his joining the SSS is similar.

On the other hand, Tio's motivations are far more complicated and tied with the main plot. The game shrouds a lot of her reasons behind this air of mystery, but it is revealed during near the end of the game that in the past, she was a human test subject. A victim of the DG Cult and the sole survivor who survived the experiments, which is how she has enhanced sensory, reaction and affinity to the elements. The Cult was ultimately disbanded and arrested by a joint effort of multiple agencies, which included the Crossbell PD, which at the time had Guy as part of their roster. He rescues her and becomes a brother like figure but disappears due to this untimely death. She carries on, albeit lost with what to do with her life and ultimately ends up back in Crossbell under the SSS to carry on Guy's will. It's interesting this way because while the other were often by breaking down a barrier from the past, Tio's crossing is her carrying on Guy's wish with the SSS' re-instatement.

Other NPCs have to heal with this concept as well, albeit on smaller scales that don't span the entire story. Wazy and Wald's entire ordeal is settled mainly by "street justice" versus utilizing the actual law and the police as gang activity is not seen as a high priority due to the mafia's own activity. Detective Dudley has to struggle with his listening to his corrupt superiors versus being able to carry out what he feels is the right decision of the PD. Jona commits a whole bunch of data breaches and hacking but points out that because the technology is so new, that no laws have been put into effect regarding his activities and does information brokering as a result. The list goes on.

The overall effect of this is that it makes Zero seem complete compared to many RPG plots because there is an overarching thread that joins the story from the start all the way to the end. It doesn't answer all the questions (which is why presumably Azure exists), but it makes Zero capable of standing on it's own 2 legs as it's own story despite the segway straight into Azure. Altogeher, the writing ends up being quite tight despite some loose ends not being resolved. And if Azure didn't exist, it would be perfectly fine to have those loose ends there because they contribute to the overarching theme - justice isn't so easy to find sometimes.

Now for gameplay. The good news for Zero is that it is actually decently challenging. I was playing on Normal (since I wasn't sure what to expect on the harder difficulties) and several fights definitely gave me trouble. The story driven ones for the most part weren't too much of an issue, but some of the bonus quest ones - oof. Particular highlights include:
1) These two optional crystal enemies which would heal at the beginning of every turn and had 2HKO ice damage. They also had insane defense, so hitting them with magic or S-crafts was the only way to go. Normal attacks and crafts basically did nothing.
2) These 5 landworms that all had a MT 4HKO damage. They seem to all start spamming it once damaged, which made things extremely dicey. Aura Rain to the rescue for this one, followed by Tio and Randy having enough punch in their S-crafts to seal the deal.
3) Optional chest super monkeys. These 2 had 2HKO wide GT damage. Immensely scary. However, they don't heal so a focused blitz to eliminate one quickly early on was key.

About the only story fight that was a little bothersome was probably Garcia in the third chapter. His S-craft is basically a OHKO on the girls (although he didn't use it on them during our fight) and he has other powerful AoE abilities at his disposal. His problem is that outside of his S-craft, he's entirely evadable. So bulking up Randy, sticking evade on him and baiting works great while your three casters go to work. The rematch with him sadly though doesn't quite live up to this as he lacks delay immunity. Since the game gives you Joshua and Estelle at the end as guests and Joshua also has a delay craft, you can actually delay lock him into oblivion. Its also the end of the game then, so there's a bunch of really stupid ways you can go ham at that point.

Overall, great game. Probably a high 8/10. Might be a 9...dunno yet. The main issue I have is the pacing. The game starts off slow. Chapter 3 is ridiculously long. Then the final dungeon is also ridiculously long. It ends up being a very uneven playing experience.
<@Claude> yahtzee

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 22, 2019, 05:18:21 AM »
Xenogears- Final dungeon of this replay. Actually, thought I was going to finish on Wednesday, but I didn't remember that somehow Tower of Babel is not the worst designed dungeon because Deus exists. Sure, a final dungeon that is just screens of vaguely altered pseudo-identical screens with no real good way to tell where you are, where you came from and where you are even trying to go.

Xenogears is such a polarized game. You have an amazing plot and fantastic soundtrack combined with arguable two of the worst battle systems combined. Foot battle system requires multiple buttons to essentially do a basic physical equivalent, there's nothing interesting to really work to (cool animations though), and really bad balance. Gear battles are theoretically more interesting, but also painful (however, when Elly takes off with Aerods that really helps). Which also goes to say that gear battle balance is pretty bad too!

The game does a good job of utilizing the physical scope that gears afford; Babel Tower (for all the frustration involved) does that have a really cool design that wouldn't make sense if you were just stuck on foot.

While playing on the Vita certainly helps playability, I tended to be too nice when ranking the game previously. It settled into a clear 4 at Babel Tower, and Deus really tempts me to lower it to a 3.
...into the nightfall.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 28, 2019, 01:09:13 AM »
Fire Emblem Three Houses: So guess who has two thumbs and wound up getting a Switch for Christmas.  Up to Ch7 Black Eagles, gameplay isn't quite as good as I'd have hoped but everything else has been an extremely enjoyable time abyss.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 29, 2019, 01:22:01 AM »
Random: You might know / have been told this already, but as a minor spoiler for Black Eagles route that does have gameplay implications...

There's two paths of Black Eagles.  For whatever reason, they're both kinda rushed & incomplete (Well, 3H was delayed in its release date twice...).  However, Ciato & Fudo & the Internet all say that the Silver Snow route is really pointless since it's just a lesser version of another route already in the game but with less dialogue that was kinda shipped as-is.  And the one map that is unique to SS makes no sense and is the worst map in the game.  Unfortunately, the Silver Snow route is the "default."  You might find it worth your while to check the requirements and make sure you're on Crimson Flower.  CF is also a bit rushed (still pictures rather than animations, fewer maps, compressed plot) but it is unique and satisfying.  Basically..  keep a backup save at the start of C10, if nothing else.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 29, 2019, 03:35:31 AM »
Yeah I know about the Crimson Moon/Silver Snow divide but thanks anyways.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 29, 2019, 04:29:56 AM »
CF is extremely, extremely easy to get and if you miss it you're probably trying to miss it or don't do basic things while playing the game like 'talk to major characters in the monastery'. It's estimated that 80% of players do CF before SS, so to say SS is the default route is a bit daft, I think.

For what it's worth, as loath as I am to defend Silver Snow, its final map is actually pretty good gameplaywise. I think the second to last map of VW / SS is the weakest map of the post-timeskip, and Chapter 9 overall.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 31, 2019, 10:56:18 PM »
Made progress in my FF4 replay.  Still doubt I'll finish before the end of the year.  Finally dragged my team (why, slow walk speed?) over to the first strata of the Lunar Subterrane.  Grabbed some chests for sweet gear upgrades and fought the White Dragon at the Murasame altar.  Probably could have killed it without giving it a chance to use its MT HP to single digits special but forgot to use Bahamut.  It looks better to say I deliberately dragged it out for research; let's go with that story.  (Maelstrom is turn 7.  It's quite viable to kill it before then with enough offense, Slowing it, and not using Fight since that triggers Slow counters)  Edge throws stuff I had saved up for this, Kain jumps, Rydia casts, Rosa and Cecil on utility.  No trouble with Blink from Rosa and items.