Register

Author Topic: What games are you playing 2019?  (Read 32488 times)

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
What games are you playing 2019?
« on: December 31, 2018, 09:10:40 PM »
It's 2019 somewhere.  Also gives me an excuse to wax about a game I'll still be finishing up in 2019.

Final Fantasy 4 replay:

With all that I've learned about FF4's ATB system and other assorted mechanics trivia, felt inclined to pound my way through this with the intent of domination.  First thought, soooo slow, how do people stand walking so slow everywhere.   Used Slow on nearly every boss fight for my convenience and also saw to making using of Berserk on more durable fights.

Cagnazzo: Party order is Tellah, Palom, Porom, Yang, Cecil  Yes, this does matter for turn order manipulation.  Yang has ice and thunder claws.  Yang punches, Cecil hits, Tella selects Bolt 3 even though water hasn't gathered yet because charge times.  Palom casts Bio; Porom casts Slow.  Cagnazzo doesn't get to do anything besides his turn 1 attack and retreat into shell.  Yang's next attack finishes him.  Dominated.

Magus Sisters: Only memorable because Delta attack Bio oneshots Tella.  Battle ends soon after.  Oh well, don't really need him standing at this point.

Lugeie: Yang's thunder claw takes him down fast.  By the time he gets to Laser someone, it only does about 150.

Rubicant: Fire 2 is a fight counter so Cecil uses attack items and helps with healing while Edge opens with Suiton and throws a bunch of weak weapons.  Got super lucky and Inferno only targets Kain who lives thanks to fire resistance.  Having put on Slow with Rosa's first turn, I keep up without a sweat.

Rosa's only level 32 when I emerge with the underground airship.  So end up going partway into sealed cave for EXP; some equipment upgrades are a welcomed side effect.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What games are you playing 2019?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 04:04:23 AM »
I close out 2018 by starting up Dragon Quest 11 in earnest. The start was reaaaaaally slooooowww but now that I have Erik and am Doing Things it's going much better. Early boomerang user ftw~

Thinking I'll go Greatswords for the main mostly, just because I like big smashy weapons. Kier has recommended dagger for Erik for the status attack thing so I'll probably invest in that while keeping an up to date rang for random mangling.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 01:44:09 PM »
Quit copyiiiing me~

How devoted is Dragon Quest to honoring those nostalgia feels? There's still a "How much EXP 'til I level up?" question in the churches even though this information is freely available in your menu at any time.

I'm a few hours in, glad to see we got the obligatory jail/escape sequence done with early. Is charming game so far but I want more PCs. I don't know what it is about DQ character modeling or animation, but despite my hating Toriyama's character designs in every other context, they actually look cute here (as in DQ8). It occurs to me now that I've played DQs 1, 4, 8, and 11. If this pattern continues, I will see you all again in Dragon Quest 14: the Quest for More Puff-Puff.

DDS2 skill system looks encouraging (I gather you can respec later too). Boomerang hype!

I'm playing hard mode because apparently that's what all the cool kids do. I had one game over to randoms when it was still a Solo party. Enemies are decently threatening, but you can pick and choose your battles freely, so it's perfectly manageable (this is maybe a tension killer, but I can hardly complain about the convenience). I also picked the Shypox option because, well, I had to see what it did, didn't I? If no one else turned this on: occasionally the Luminary loses turns in battle/refuses to engage in NPC dialogue for characteristically goofy DQ reasons. It's nothing big. But the couple times so far where the MC's refused to talk to someone because they were too attractive, both the NPCs were guys. Just sayin'.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 04:15:11 PM »
You can respec later on, and respeccing to optimize your setup based on your number of skill points is one of the most fun aspects of the game imo
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 04:24:34 PM »
I'm nighting Gris and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Surprise, I can still hold a controller after all these years! Last week-ish in December I picked up Nier:Automata and powered through from storyline A, and now have ABCDEGHIOWZ. NA unseated Xeno as my favorite series because it hits a lot of different emotional, cinematic and literary cues.

Gris is gorgeous platformer that features a spindly-arm and leg girl who's lost her voice in a colorless world; so far after 40 minutes of nighttime play it seems the overall mission is to return color to the world. Music by Berlinist, https://www.berlinistmusic.com, which is melodic enough. I wouldn't describe the game as funny; it's more of a puzzle simply about movement and form. I'm appreciating its simplicity.

XB2 has a very coarse, saccharine beginning and the modeling for women is downright digusting. I do think they were looking at Mariah Carey for one character though. The battle system was incredibly uninteresting to begin with, and I hate when games drag out battle features over the course of five new environments. The Blade and Driver relationship undergirds lots of basic ass narrative white noise, but in battle, it seems to me that at the very basic level, Blades are like job class and elemental attributes blended into one living organism, and battle then unfolds best and most efficient only when you learn to string together the features of teammates moves for timing and linking combos. Once I approached battle like that after taking a shoopuff ride, I could appreciate it a bit more. Because it is incredibly boring fighting just as one limited Driver or one Blade, meaning that hack and slash hack and slash hack and slash.

So far the music is pretty great; reminds me of the jazzy-ness of BOF, which needs to be revamped gfd. I don't care what anyone says but anything Yasunori Mitsuda touches is absolute gold. But the worst thing so far? MY GOD the story is absolute trash and it is so tacky in this day and age to have verbose cutscenes you can't advance because the writers were too lazy to not drop fifty kingdoms and names in under an hour. Wont to forgive such archaic bull and have no expectations that it will get better. If it does, that will be pleasant. But, this is mostly a mindless game with dependably beautiful environments and camping features.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 04:28:22 PM by dunie »

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 05:18:34 PM »
I hate when games drag out battle features over the course of five new environments.

heh.  I've been playing Resonance of Fate, and I appreciate how bold the combat design is: got in a random encounter to start the game.  Lost.  Tried it again.  Lost.  Finally went to the tutorial, and it took like half an hour but it explained literally everything that will ever be in combat, up to the most advanced techniques.  Traditionally this would be considered bad design but in the context of RoF it works, and spares everyone the hassle of shoehorning it into the actual game.  Also you need to know like half of it just to win any fight at all.  About halfway, I would guess, into the game and I like combat a bunch.  Plot thusfar has been a lackluster combination of villains who sound like teens who were just exposed to philosophy, the main characters doing nothing of importance, and kind of a lot of workplace sexual harrassment.  We'll see but my expectations are low.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 08:51:40 PM »
I hate when games drag out battle features over the course of five new environments.

heh.  I've been playing Resonance of Fate, and I appreciate how bold the combat design is: got in a random encounter to start the game.  Lost.  Tried it again.  Lost.  Finally went to the tutorial, and it took like half an hour but it explained literally everything that will ever be in combat, up to the most advanced techniques.  Traditionally this would be considered bad design but in the context of RoF it works, and spares everyone the hassle of shoehorning it into the actual game.  Also you need to know like half of it just to win any fight at all.  About halfway, I would guess, into the game and I like combat a bunch.  Plot thusfar has been a lackluster combination of villains who sound like teens who were just exposed to philosophy, the main characters doing nothing of importance, and kind of a lot of workplace sexual harrassment.  We'll see but my expectations are low.

RoF has no coherent plot until the very end, and even that is nothing of importance.
Overall the story is better treated as episodic, and it focus on character's internal problems because they are mostly mentally incompetent.
The only surprise in the end is that particular antagonist won the whole deal and get away everything he wants.

GBF - My gacha luck exploded.
3 copies of Gabriel. Shiva, Kumbhira and limited JK showed up. Then I got Magisa, dark Eustace, Tiamat, Mafia, light Silva and light Claris, as well as Forte and Wolf.
I don't even anymore. My gacha luck was already stupidly good in summer, and I was expecting a serious rebound of karma later on. But know, my luck just got even better.
Got a dupe of Ganbantine and Reunion.
I was debating who to use the Spark on. Usually I would use it on limited characters, but the ones I don't have are also the ones that do not have immeidate use to me. So I sparked Athena instead.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 09:00:15 PM by Niu »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 11:06:59 PM »
With Rubicant, screw the fire 2 counters. Edge/Kain/Cecil do a ton of damage with ice physicals (and you have a stack of Bacchus Wines from fighting Mad Ogres in the dungeon), smash Rubicant's face in with physicals.

Sylph Cave gives you a ton of great gear upgrades and levels, yeah. It's notably harder for randoms than the Faemarch dungeon though so potion up. But the Avenger alone is so shiny, as is some of the weaponry in that dungeon.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 02:26:05 AM »
Link to the Past Randomizer:

I can stop any time
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 07:15:27 AM »
DQXI: Beaten, for reals this time. Frue Final boss kicked my ass repeatedly. I ended up leveling to 99 and forging everything for all the achievements, then beat him. Got the platinum trophy.

Spoilers for part 3: So part two was Final Fantasy 6 and part 3 was Bravely Default. But it did a better job of making repeating the same tasks interesting than BD did. The big problem with all this is in the story department. Yes going back in time to save as many lives as possible makes sense from a real world standpoint, but it destroys your story moments. Part 2 turned Serena from boring character who barely exists into OMG I HAVEN'T HAD THESE FEELS SINCE THE OPERA SCENE FROM FF6 SERENA IS BEST CHARACTER NOW HOLY SHIT HER SKILL GRID FITS TOGETHER WITH VERONICA'S. Like seriously they made me have feelings for a fucking skill grid. Then part 3 happens and Serena loses all her development and is back to being a nothing character. While Sylvando's reconciliation with his father in part 2 was silly, it was a lot better than part 3's version. Likewise Erik and Mia.

Postgame nostalgia run was great. I have played all of them except 10, which I think is a Japanese-only MMO.

I expect someone to put "they made me have feelings for a fucking skill grid" in their signature now.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 11:47:31 AM »
DQXI: I'm already so sick of the field theme that plays absolutely everywhere in the overworld that I just turned off the music altogether. Maybe I'll turn it back on for bosses and towns, but wow, I never need to hear that one song again.

(EDIT: I guess I should note that otherwise I'm having fun.)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 12:10:07 PM by Sierra »

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 08:10:53 PM »
I have also been playing a boatload of Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires since I picked it up for the PC to make streaming it easier.

Since the main reason I liek it is creating characters, I've been doing a bunch of...fan "art" I guess, for books(Jade City, Skyfarer and Born to the Blade), and videogames(some FE chars and now Suikoden mains).

Since I was talking about this in chat somewhat, and it was requested that I share, here is my twitter thread with all the Suikoden mains I made in it:

https://twitter.com/VySaika/status/1080555195208163329
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 11:40:09 PM »
Saika/Sierra: I dunno if either of you are using the Steam version, but if you are, get the orchestral mod:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1521444556   
Field theme is still not great or anything, but everything else gets better.

Saika: Greatswords are very good on Luminary, IMO.  Single swords eventually get competitive at the very, very end of the game, but the way shields work, they basically get absolutely better as the game goes on with higher block rates, more elemental resistance, more random other bonuses, while at the start of the game shields are basically decorative.  So no reason not to go greatsword.

I'm playing hard mode because apparently that's what all the cool kids do. I had one game over to randoms when it was still a Solo party. Enemies are decently threatening, but you can pick and choose your battles freely, so it's perfectly manageable (this is maybe a tension killer, but I can hardly complain about the convenience). I also picked the Shypox option because, well, I had to see what it did, didn't I? If no one else turned this on: occasionally the Luminary loses turns in battle/refuses to engage in NPC dialogue for characteristically goofy DQ reasons. It's nothing big. But the couple times so far where the MC's refused to talk to someone because they were too attractive, both the NPCs were guys. Just sayin'.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1612414272

(also, hardcore, good luck!  losing a key healing action in the middle of a long fight seemed too devastating to me to turn on Shypox, definitely tell us how it goes)

Captain K: Yeah, Djinn & I said similar things earlier.  Makes sense in-character, but too bad from an external perspective.  Still kinda works anyway, in the sense of showing other possibilities that are less...  dramatic.

Djinn, in the other thread: Yeah, I can't blame you for missing the DQ3 connection, because it makes no damn sense.  Basically: The very, very VERY end scene is a lady putting aside books of Heroic Deeds or some such, then telling her kid to wake up.  This is the opening to Dragon Quest III, hero's mom telling him to wake up.  Additionally, the Yggdragon rambled about what sure sounds like future Dragon Quest plotlines, and we're meant to believe that the Yggdragon has some sort of future sight / prophecy ability, so basically Yggdragon is saying that in various future disasters she's forseen, don't worry, a hero will arise to bail us out in these future Dragon Quest games!  Which is kinda like a prophet telling somebody at the end of the Seven Years War in 1763 that they've foreseen many more world wars, but don't worry, brave heroes will ensure that Good Ol' Brittania will keep winning.  I guess that's better than the alternative, but in-character, none at all would seem better.  So yeah, DQ3 was the chronologically first of the series, and DQ11 is claiming to be a nonsensical prequel to it, despite a different world map, different villains, different cosmology, etc.  I guess the 6 orbs are still consistent?!

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 05:34:49 AM »
Megaman 11 - Started this up while on vacation. :) I chose to play ‘classic’ mode for Megaman fans rather than ‘casual’ mode for people who hadn’t played Megaman in a while, despite not playing Megaman for a while. In hindsight, this might have been mildly optimistic on my part. Well, whatever. I beat all of the robot masters and I am enjoying the game a lot. It reminds me a lot of MM8, with the longer stages and often technically tricky stuff, as well as some oddball mechanics that feel right at home in 8. The weapons are mostly quite potent and more consistently solid than the weapons in some of the previous games.

The game’s main wrinkle in the traditional Megaman mold is the introduction of the Power and Speed gears. The Speed Gear makes the action move slower for a short amount of time (five seconds?). This is obviously helpful against pretty much anyone you use it on. In particular, it is very useful during the stages where fire/a shredder are chasing you for instant death. And it can be a very nice option for bosses sometimes, especially those that you don’t have the weakness for.  There are situation in which the Speed gear can backfire. For example, it can also be used for platforming, but can sometimes interfere with platforming rhythm (especially with moving platforms and such), so I don’t usually use it for that.

The power gear is pretty useless without weapons. With the weapons, it gets more interesting. I will outline how they work based on each weapon. My feeling is that the weapon energy used is about double of what is used normally, but I haven’t really quantified that number.

-Bounce Ball just sends projectiles bouncing around. There are three projectiles; one above, one middle, one below in front of Megaman. It’s relatively weak but an interesting weapon nevertheless. The powered up version just shoots two sets of balls, one behind and one in front. it’s interesting, costs less than the other weapons in the game which is nice (I feel like MM11 has a lot of expensive weapons!)

-Tundra Storm is the height of the screen and about twice as wide as Megaman and pretty much crushes everything in its path. The power gear version is a fullscreen clear and costs a lot of weapon energy, unsurprisingly.

-Block Dropper is a little bit different. It drops four blocks from the top of the screen about the size of Megaman. The cool thing about it is that it drops said blocks quite far away from Megaman in front of him, which means you can use it to snipe enemies from far away. I find this weapon EXTREMELY good and greatly enjoy it. Its Power Gear version gives you more blocks. I rarely use it because the base weapon is so useful that I don’t want to spend the ammo.

-Pile Driver is the one I’ve played around with the least, since it was the last boss I fought. It moves you forward in a dash, stabs the enemy, and then moves you back a bit. It’s pretty damn stylish, for sure, but I’m not sure how good the weapon actually is. It might actually be more useful as a dash than it is as a weapon, but I haven’t experimented too hard with it yet. The Powered version just makes you go further.

-Blazing Torch moves upward at a 45 degree angle for a while and then turns down at a 45 degree angle. Despite the bizarre trajectory, it is great because it can casually kill a lot of powerful enemies, including many shielded enemies. It kills Sniper Joes in a robot in two hits, which is grand. The Powered up version adds two more flames, which again could be useful but the weapons are pricy without power gear…

-Acid Barrier is a very useful shield! You can shoot some little acids while you have the shield up, and it blocks a lot of stuff very consistently. The Powered up version allows you to kill enemies too, so I often use it instead. Such a great platforming tool, especially in Wily 1 which is evil and hates you personally.

-Chain Blast is the worst weapon regularly, I actually don’t fully understand how it works. But the Powered up version OHKOs Sniper Joe robots so I mostly just use all my weapon energy on the powered up one.

-Scramble Thunder is the best ground crawler in the series. It’s fast, it’s deadly, it breaks through shields, it can be shot upwards to the ceiling/ kill enemies. The Powered up version just makes it larger, which is kinda pointless to be honest.

tldr; the weapons are all actually useful in different ways! wow!

The stage design is generally quite enjoyable and diverse, which i really like. The stages are quite a bit longer than old-school classic Megaman, which is interesting. I found them a little too lengthy for how hard the game is, overall, but it’s fine. I’ve heard people complain about the length of the game but I am finding that it is taking quite a while on a first playthrough (admittedly very rusty on MM in general….). The boss fights are largely enjoyable and feel like classic Megaman bosses. I like Tundra Man in particular because he’s a prissy little jerk. (He’s probably the easiest boss, too, and has an amazing weapon.) The profiles for the robot masters are quite cute and add a little extra flavor to the game.

I’m currently on Wily 1. That stage is an absolute monster. Bonus points for guessing what asshole retro Megaman boss inhabits this stage!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 04:46:51 PM by Luther Lansfeld »
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 11:22:17 AM »
(also, hardcore, good luck!  losing a key healing action in the middle of a long fight seemed too devastating to me to turn on Shypox, definitely tell us how it goes)

So far, I haven't had an otherwise winnable battle wrecked by it, but it's definitely a possibility. The Kingsbarrow boss did have a moment of "MC is at critical health -> loses his turn so doesn't get healed -> immediately gets KO'd," but I was well on the way to losing that battle anyway. This is probably a lesson for how to approach bosses in hard mode: go home and heal up first, come back at full health and with reforged equipment, ideally have party pepped up at the start if that can be arranged (Scorched Earth wrecked them).

And playing on PS4, so no mods for me.

Also, sword and shield MC here. I decided very early on that I didn't want to give up the defensive bonus of a shield while running a solo PC in hard mode.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2019, 05:42:10 PM »
You should turn on the music for all of the good tracks
...I think there was maybe one town with good music?...
...and a couple bits in the aftergame

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2019, 10:24:31 PM »
Completed a second run of Metroid: Samus Returns, this time trying to go quickly. It should be noted that this was around 3:50, which is pretty crazy long for a "try to go quickly" second run of a Metroid game. Obviously I wasn't anywhere near perfect in my route and this wasn't even close to a speedrun, but I thought it was striking how much those 40+ boss fights add up! Might make it a little less replay-friendly than other Metroid games, but it's still pretty good at that of course; I mean, I did already play it a second time. Still need to get 100% at some point, but I'm going to have to take a break from it for now. The rubber cap of my 3DS D-pad started slipping off during this run which apparently is a Thing Which Occurs so I'll want to fix that before doing any more 3DS action gaming.

Meanwhile, also playing through Octopath, naturally; in the middle of the chapter 4's.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2019, 02:45:06 AM »
Beat Berseria.

I join the chorus of hype/praise for this game. The plot is great, and the characters are amazingly fun, each havimg a fleshed out personality and various quirks with distimct relationships that grow over the course of the game.

I think some of the melodrama after the big reveal was a little over the top, but the finale more than made up for it.

Part of the fun was the divergence from the "save the world" motivation. The PCs were unapologetically NOT fighting for the 'good of other's but for their own motivations. (Well, exceptimg Eleanor kinda). This is relatively fresh in an RPG of this type and I'm general more imteresting than the standard fare.

I generally think of the game as an interestimg take on a group of villainous protagonists, up until Eleanor joins up at which point the dynamic becomes more interesting.

The combat system being so different between randoms and bosses makes it difficult to get a feel for some of the character's worth. I think magilous is more valuable than she appears because of her ability to neeutralize magic, which is the most dangerous threat you generally face.

Fun factoid: the game ate all my vombat items right before the final boss, so I fought through both phases with no healing or revival items.

Comparisons to Zestiria are inevitable, and they are generally favorable to Berseria.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2019, 11:49:03 AM »
DQXI: I visited Hotto, an event which calls for some celebration for multiple reasons.

Full party at last!
Monsters fall before us as
Wheat before the scythe

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2019, 04:33:50 PM »
Megaman 11 - Finished this up while I was travelling. Final time was about eleven hours including all of the resets and stuff. (I saw people complaining about the game’s length as if they’ve never played a Megaman before, but I digress.)

Game’s pretty good. I kneejerk the game below 2/3/8/9 and above 1/4/5/6/7/10. It reminds me a lot of 8, with the powerful weapons and longer stages, but I feel like it lacks that extra push to be as enjoyable as 8 is because of its randoms being less challenging (you can mostly just throw random weapons at them and they die). I also liked the bolt (in-game currency) economy in 8; not enough to buy absolutely everything. 11 definitely can potentially give you a limitless supply of them, which allows you to not really make decisions while purchasing items. I didn’t really grind, though, and I spent a lot of money on extra lives because I like to be HARDCORE rather than just spamming Energy and Weapon Tanks. The robot masters are quite fun in this game, especially without exploiting their weaknesses, but I found that you cannot be that sloppy even with the weakness hits. Quite a few of the regular stages are also quite nasty, fitting the traditional MM mold.

Wily 1 delivered just as I had hoped. The stage was nasty, the boss was nastier, and it really showed off the weapons. I ended up capitulating and using an E-tank on the boss. Wily 2 was quite a bit easier (although not trivial) but the boss was quite fun. Wily 3 was just the robot masters, and Wily 4 was the nasty final boss. As with the robot masters, Wily’s weakness is quite powerful, but you need to use it wisely. I ended up using a weapon tank during the final form. The first stage of Wily is often hit or miss, but I thought it was quite an enjoyable boss that didn’t feel too overwhelming but was still fun.

I ended up being pretty fond of the Speed/Power Gear system, even if Speed is a little too powerful because it recharges faster than was really necessary. It adds an extra wrinkle to the formula, which frankly a Megaman sequel really needs. A little bit of balance could make this mechanic really nice.

As mentioned in the previous post, the weapons are really good. My kneejerk is that Pile Driver might be the worst, but I’m not 100% sure. I’ll have to do some more playthroughs.

Not sure what I want to play next. I am in the middle of a replay of Suikoden V, as well as a first playthrough of Bayonetta 2. Maybe I should finish those up first. ^_^
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2019, 07:23:21 PM »
Guessing the returning boss is the yellow devil.  Who else would Capcom (and the fangames) be so obsessed with?  At some point I'll get around to finishing 8 as well as trying out Power Battle 2.

Wind Waker travelouge: Earth Temple

It's a 3D Zelda dungeon; what is there to say?  Would have liked more than 9 hearts and one bottle but the game has been forgiving so far more tension than real danger of running out of resources.  This one has controlling a helper character into the formula.  Working out the puzzles is straightforward by now.  I do get some inherent satisfaction with shining light into dark places (spoilers: mirror shield, though it's rather obvious a few rooms in) so enjoy it more than would have otherwise.  Introduces a few new enemies to fight.  The floormasters are easily the most annoying additions.  I think they're floormasters anyways.  Without Navi to tell me enemy names, they could be called Creepy Grabby Hands for all I know.  They become easier to deal with once I find a sword strike when they grab on beats out their "return player to earlier room" schtick.
  Boss manages to be more memorable by not falling into the predictable "go to light spot, shine light until it's stunned, carve up with sword" routine.  Using light to stun it is still there but there's another step involved that took more effort to work out until I found it by accident.  Really comical what I need to do there.  Massive pile of blubber defeated and on to the next plot point.  After doing lots of exploring first though.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2019, 08:40:39 AM »
DQXI: I visited Hotto, an event which calls for some celebration for multiple reasons.

Full party at last!
Monsters fall before us as
Wheat before the scythe

My name is Hotto
Yeah I like to get blotto
Simpsons paraphrase

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2019, 05:28:11 PM »
Momodora 4.

A fun metroidvania game the combat is smooth the bosses are plentiful and the power-ups are frequent

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2019, 06:32:09 PM »
Kappa: Awesome re LttP race. You doing randomizers of late? You mentioned FF4 Free Enterprise of course.

LFT: Finished last replay. Have a notepad with various thoughts, should post it. Of note: The superfight at the volcano got much easier when Elfboy reminded me of MP switch. >_< Have a half assed replay going on in LFT now. I forgot how absolutely embarrassingly awful Agrias's Holy Knight class is at PA;  even the C3 defender doesn't remotely save it.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2019, 11:31:14 PM »
My name is Hotto
Yeah I like to get blotto
Simpsons paraphrase

I CAST THEE OUT!

DQXI: I walk into the horse-racing town where there is about to be the big annual horse race so I just assume the plot will find a way to railroad me into participating in the big annual horse race, but everyone tells me I can't participate in the big annual horse race because the list is already full, but then oh no, son, you better believe we're finding a way to get you into that horse race. Because DQ plot.

Enemy threat level took a sharp uptick stepping into Gallopolis. They were definitely prepared to deal with a full party! It was difficult getting out of an encounter with everyone alive until I'd got a couple levels and new equipment (admittedly nabbing a metal slime helped a lot with this). Boomerangs are already trailing off badly, so might re-spec Erik the next time I pick up a new dagger.