Register

Author Topic: Idiot of the Day 2017: Your lucky color is orange.  (Read 2624 times)

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Idiot of the Day 2017: Your lucky color is orange.
« on: January 01, 2017, 05:15:04 PM »
I slightly hesitate to post this one, because there's definitely mental illness involved here somewhere, but still. 

http://freethoughtblogs.com/pharyngula/2016/12/29/spokane-washingtons-most-single-man/

Go get 'em, tiger.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Idiot of the Day 2017: Your lucky color is orange.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 12:47:06 PM »
https://heatst.com/culture-wars/january-jones-says-her-son-doesnt-need-a-father-figure-to-teach-him-shty-things/

Hay guys let's ignore everything ever written re: development of children, surely that'll go well right?!
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 09:29:03 PM »
More than that, it implies that no possible male parent figure could model non-toxic behavior.  And thus that all possible forms of masculinity are toxic... thus you're teaching the child he is inherently inferior.

Because children aren't at all capable of picking that sorta shit up.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 11:40:35 PM »
It's ok though it was just joaks!!!!
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 07:25:48 PM »
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2017/0117/North-Dakota-bill-would-protect-drivers-who-hit-protesters-obstructing-traffic

“If you stay off the roadway, this would never be an issue,” Republican state Rep. Keith Kempenich told the Star Tribune in nearby Minneapolis, Minnesota. “Those motorists are going about the lawful, legal exercise of their right to drive down the road…Those people didn’t ask to be in this.”

Where to begin...

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 02:38:18 AM »
https://twitter.com/drjillstein/status/829008961550553093

Dr. Stein apparently unclear on which party currently holds the majority in the Senate.  (Or, more charitably, that the Dems would hold the majority if they had met the Jill Stein Standard in 2016....  but yeah.)

Also double feature, but to steal from Alex a link he posted in IRC:

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/texas-education-board-approves-curriculum-that-challenges-evolution/TyQyZ5OxYNU3NQNDfZqECI/

Not really clear if this will actually go through yet it seems, but still.  Learning about the gaps in scientific theories is actually a good thing to a proper "smart" class that wants to understand that science is a process, not a set of facts...  but...  there's a lot of people who really do treat science as a Set Of Facts To Memorize, and also, if you do this, you need to do this for *all* science, not just call out biology only.  And evolution can't readily explain "the origin of life?!"  Well no shit!  It doesn't try to!  Argh.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 02:42:39 AM by SnowFire »

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2017, 09:53:18 PM »
I like how the last 2 characters of that link are =0
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 11:35:46 AM »
It's plainly clear why Sessions wants to do this but the state of forensic science is shockingly terrible so these steps certainly won't help anything.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/228091.pdf

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 01:13:10 PM »
That document is a great example why the sciences needs to value humanities education and writings. Blimey. I read up to 6 1/3 pages total. Should I look at a specific section?

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2017, 07:01:23 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/13/world/asia/moab-mother-of-all-bombs-afghanistan.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

So we're using "air campaign" instead of "war" these days. The only thing the military's been good at is presidential-sanctioned mass killing. To any offended active duty, this shit's not about you. We give police carte blanche access to military equipment and domestic terorrism, and now we (45) give the Pentagon the same internationally. 

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2017, 09:17:33 AM »
To any offended active duty, this shit's not about you.

I am borrowing this, if that's OK.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2017, 02:32:39 PM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/24/us/new-orleans-monuments-confederate-history.html

On the removal of Confederate monuments from New Orleans:
Because I’m a student of history and I know how things work, I know that when you are going to conquer a people, subjugate a people, it’s very important to remove their cultural foundations because their strength comes from that. The bad guys know that, which means they have to destroy our culture, our history. And when they do that, they destroy your identity, they destroy your soul. They come back and they replace it with the personality and the soul of a slave or a serf.

I can only imagine the glee with which the NYTimes reporter had when he got this quote without a hint of irony.  Subjugating a people...  destroying their culture...  making them slaves...   does this ring any bells?  Did anything like that actually happen?  ...nah, must be my imagination.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2017, 05:24:12 PM »
Zero introspection, thy name is Southern Conservative.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2017, 04:55:37 PM »
I try not to drop a lot of political stuff in here because my goodness, the topic would overflow.  This I cannot ignore.  It would be a crime against comedy to let this one pass.

At 7:22 p.m. on Wednesday, Politico reported that Scaramucci “still stands to profit from an ownership stake in his investment firm SkyBridge Capital” while he works in the White House. Politico cited a form Scaramucci submitted to the Office of Government Ethics and noted that the document is a public record.

At 7:41 p.m., Scaramucci claimed in a tweet that the release of his financial disclosure form was the result of a leak (it wasn't) and a felony (it's not). He also tagged Priebus and said he would contact the FBI.

To be absolutely crystal clear, the Whote House Press Secretary is accusing the White House Chief of Staff of illegally leaking a private document, and is encouraging the DOJ and FBI to investigate and prosecute him for a felony.  Except.  The document in question?  Public record.  Also no evidence Priebus leaked it.  Which would make sense considering IT'S A PUBLIC RECORD.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/07/27/scaramucci-if-reince-wants-to-explain-that-hes-not-a-leaker-let-him-do-that/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_scaramucci-9a%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.7a69a1438360

Later on, Scaramucci, confronted about the matter, said, "If Reince wants to explain that he’s not a leaker, let him do that" before likening him and Reince to "brothers" like maybe "Cain and Abel."

Is satire dead?  Satire may be dead.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/07/27/scaramucci-if-reince-wants-to-explain-that-hes-not-a-leaker-let-him-do-that/?tid=pm_politics_pop&utm_term=.03b90a397d97
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 05:01:41 PM by NotMiki »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2017, 01:31:45 AM »
The real world is nothing like high school, unless you are stuck in a place where it literally is high school forever.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2017, 01:54:39 AM »
I try not to drop a lot of political stuff in here because my goodness, the topic would overflow.  This I cannot ignore.  It would be a crime against comedy to let this one pass.

At 7:22 p.m. on Wednesday, Politico reported that Scaramucci “still stands to profit from an ownership stake in his investment firm SkyBridge Capital” while he works in the White House. Politico cited a form Scaramucci submitted to the Office of Government Ethics and noted that the document is a public record.

At 7:41 p.m., Scaramucci claimed in a tweet that the release of his financial disclosure form was the result of a leak (it wasn't) and a felony (it's not). He also tagged Priebus and said he would contact the FBI.

To be absolutely crystal clear, the Whote House Press Secretary is accusing the White House Chief of Staff of illegally leaking a private document, and is encouraging the DOJ and FBI to investigate and prosecute him for a felony.  Except.  The document in question?  Public record.  Also no evidence Priebus leaked it.  Which would make sense considering IT'S A PUBLIC RECORD.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/07/27/scaramucci-if-reince-wants-to-explain-that-hes-not-a-leaker-let-him-do-that/?hpid=hp_hp-top-table-main_scaramucci-9a%3Ahomepage%2Fstory&utm_term=.7a69a1438360

Later on, Scaramucci, confronted about the matter, said, "If Reince wants to explain that he’s not a leaker, let him do that" before likening him and Reince to "brothers" like maybe "Cain and Abel."

Is satire dead?  Satire may be dead.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/07/27/scaramucci-if-reince-wants-to-explain-that-hes-not-a-leaker-let-him-do-that/?tid=pm_politics_pop&utm_term=.03b90a397d97
http://www.newyorker.com/news/ryan-lizza/anthony-scaramucci-called-me-to-unload-about-white-house-leakers-reince-priebus-and-steve-bannon

This has been one of the dumbest days I can remember and 80% of it is Mooch related.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2017, 03:25:25 AM »
It's impossible for me to hear his name without thinking of Bohemian Rhapsody. Scaramucci, Scaramucci, will you do the fandango. I can only hope that my brain never learns to make the reverse association as well, but it probably will because Trumpco ruins everything.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2017, 04:47:07 PM »
The real world is nothing like high school, unless you are stuck in a place where it literally is high school forever.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2017/07/27/reince_reince_penis_priebus.html

You misspelled middle school

He calls him Reince Penis.  Reince.  Penis.  We live in a fictional reality.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 05:10:52 PM by NotMiki »