Author Topic: General Health/Exercise Topic  (Read 9547 times)

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
Re: General Health/Exercise Topic
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2013, 04:52:28 AM »
Dang, intense.  Is there a particular reason for not drinking water during the rest phase? Or why the rest phases are pretty strict with how long you can rest for?  When lifting I usually drink water in between reps and give myself as long as I feel comfortable (which may be why I don't make very good gains. >_>)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2013, 05:00:42 AM »
So your rest breaks are short and you are actually catching your breath during them.

If you are trying to put on muscle my understanding as long as you do the lifting taking your time is good.  It is cardio where you want to keep your heart rate up that longer breaks are a problem.

Also cardio and strength training don't mix.  Edit - That is you can do them both, but you won't bulk up nearly as quickly as if you weren't doing cardio.

Pick weight loss or bulking and set your expectations on one of those things, any gains you make towards the other in pursuit of that is a bonus.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 05:04:56 AM by Grefter »
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2013, 07:52:11 AM »
Finally did your workout.  Holy shit, you are a beast.  I am dead.

EDIT: FUCK you are supposed to do those 3 times in one go? Goddamn either I'm more out of shape than I thought, you're in hella good shape, or both.  I only got through two rounds with skipping a lot and taking longer breaks the second time around.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 08:16:37 AM by Makkotah »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 21, 2013, 07:16:43 PM »
I only got through twice and haven't done it since (due to work making me into a pile of fml.)

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2013, 07:32:34 AM »
Letting how you feel after work dictate whether you exercise is a bad idea.  Verizon made me hate everything so much I gave up on exercise then it's taken me two years to get back to it.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2013, 08:11:13 AM »
I still go even when work is shit (case in point I did today after a peak in shittiness this week when I am doing some OT this weekend for some data migration in the databases I work with).

Paying someone to train you is good motivation for that.

In other news, I am completely wrecked right now.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2013, 08:18:14 PM »
Did my first workout in almost two years today. 15 minutes of cardio wiped me the fuck out. I was trying to do 30, but that was an unrealistic goal.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 08:30:32 PM by Luther Lansfeld »
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2013, 05:38:45 PM »
Okie, so did 28 minutes today. It was much less painful than the 15 minutes I did Monday or the 20 minutes I did Tuesday, but still hurt my ass and legs. I've decided my other major early goal is to drink more water and sleep better. Dieting is terrible and makes me unhappy and my eating is not particularly unhealthy anyway, so I don't think I will do that. Might work on reducing food intake once I get rolling with the exercise and stuff.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2013, 03:48:34 PM »
In realizing that I probably won't ever live by the beach again in my life after I move from this place next year, I've decided to focus on having a beach body by June.  I have switched almost entirely to cardio workouts from a half year ago where I was doing almost entirely weight exercises. 

I am on a low-carb-ish diet (as low carb as I can get while still eating the school lunches served at work), and have cut down my drinking to Parties-only, and it all of it pisses me off.  Salad is bullshit, and I want a goddamn beer.  Even a shitty Japanese one will do.

I am on the last week of Couch to 5K, running 4KM in 28 minutes.  Will probably take a couple weeks more to get up to a proper 5K but I'll make the time goal pretty easily.  I have also reached the point where I can do two cycles of the core workout Grefter posted on page 2, providing I take much longer breaks than prescribed. 

All this and I have lost a total of 1.2 kg.  Horseshit.

Idun

« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2013, 09:28:28 PM »
I lost 10lbs.

Now 139/40, what the fuck ever. Am not being as physically active as I should, but I bike about 10m a day (stopped during the weeks of snow, so like, a month); playing more Dance Central, no fast food, that sort of thing. I can't imagine being lighter, and will more than likely gain a bit more weight when I tone. I'm a square frame.

Besides having Wendy's (BACONATOR!!!) where I at once stayed in DFD for 45min to cleanse, I'm still seafood and veggies, more veggies than seafood. Realized I can use half a salmon fillet twice. Yep.

Idun

« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2013, 03:34:44 AM »
I'm 160lbs.

): I have never been that heavy. Even my doctor was surprised, she said she didn't know where the weight is at. Yeah, to make me feel better I guess. I mean, I don't feel heavier?????????? Anyway, on a mission, to either gain more weight by muscle mass or lose whatever fat I can't locate (them thunder thighs! KLAPOUSH!!) doc says most people who trip to africa come back heavier ):

I ain't no Grefter, so this is what I'm doin:

keeping my yoga going, this time consistently, I'm only 8 min from campus so I have no excuse but time mismanagement (power vinyasa)
take a 40 min core cycling course every day I'm on campus, so yoga+cycling
they call this texercising at ut... $110 for the semester. Highway robbery cheap.

For the times I'm at home I'll just do a regular vinyasa, at WHAT, omg a yoga studio inside an art studio!? badumpish. 2 min from my house. I haven't even gained additional inches in my waist, I am so confused.

anyway, yeah. that. this. plus I still an a cyclist although austin aint nothin with no hills (just crazy heat)

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2013, 09:44:26 PM »
Still doing Crossfit and working at a regular gym with a personal trainer. I'm getting 3 to 4 workouts in a week, and I've been eating nothing but healthy whole foods, but I think I'm reaching a plateau.

It's frustrating as shit. I try eating more to push myself further during work out, but it just makes me feel heavy. I try eating less, but of course that just slims me down instead of allowing me to build any worthwhile muscle. I try working out more, which seems to help, but is unsustainable due to my work schedule. I try resting/sleeping more, but that doesn't seem to help me get much more out of my workouts.

Honestly, I think I just need more money and less stress/work in my life to have the time to dedicate more to my health to get over this plateau. Fitness is a luxury for the privileged anyone who thinks it's just about hard work and not about time/money/genetics is deluding themselves. It kinda pisses me off.

I've been an endomorph all my life and I can't seem to get my body to respond in any meaningful way to increase my body mass. After a year of focusing on this constantly, I'm no better off than when I was just doing p90x in my living room.

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 16, 2013, 10:31:47 PM »
Have you tried some of the tips and tricks supported by everyone's favorite shyster, Tim Ferriss? As off-putting as a lot of his methods can be, there seem to be a number of people who swear by his methods for losing weight and for gaining bulk. May at least be worth a look.

It'll end up being things about your timing, or relative effort, as well as maybe some supplements or diet suggestions, just FYI.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 16, 2013, 10:50:08 PM »
You might need personal nutrition advice.

I'm soon going to start working out a little, we'll see where that goes. I'd just like to still be slim just with more muscle, like Gypsy Brad Pitt from Snatch.
It's complicated because my environmental conscience is getting in the way. I have a very fast metabolism and don't want to eat a ton more than I need just for my ultimately pointless and dumb quest to look slightly neater. Shit.

Edit: Can't I just level up to like level 40 (this should give about 450 strength) and never have to worry about this again
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 11:23:44 PM by Fenrir »

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2013, 05:55:24 PM »
Why is everything I eat so bad and fattening for me!

I am reaching new levels of frustration. My ungodly level of laziness is the frustrating part.

Here I am, sitting at a gym, not working out. I could very well work out while at work, but I never do.

Granted, I did injury my leg last year. While I didn't have the insurance or money required to fix it, it healed enough for me to run and do things on it again, but I never got back into that groove. It sucks. I don't know why I am so unmotivated. I should or could afford to lose 30 lbs honestly. I just weighed myself at 190 lbs and someone my height should weight around 150 lbs. I have some muscle definition, so 150 lbs is unrealistic, and I would LOVE if I could step on a scale and read it at 170 lbs. Gawd dammit!

It's not that I never work out either. I lift enough. Maybe 3-4 times a week. I just don't do any cardio other then Wednesday when I join the members who do those insanity tapes. I know I have to run more. I know I have to eat better. I just don't want to.

=(
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2013, 06:19:52 PM »
Why is everything I eat so bad and fattening for me!

I am reaching new levels of frustration. My ungodly level of laziness is the frustrating part.

Here I am, sitting at a gym, not working out. I could very well work out while at work, but I never do.

Granted, I did injury my footleg last year. While I didn't have the insurance or money required to fix it, it healed enough for me to run and do things on it again, but I never got back into that groove. It sucks. I don't know why I am so unmotivated. I should or could afford to lose 30 lbs honestly. I just weighed myself at 190 lbs and someone my height should weight around 160150 lbs. I have some muscle definition, so 150 lbs is unrealistic, and I would LOVE if I could step on a scale and read it at 170 lbs. Gawd dammit!

It's not that I never work out either. I lift enough. Maybe 3-4 times a week. I just don't do any cardio other then occasional DDR after work, sometimes in formal dress because why notWednesday when I join the members who do those insanity tapes. I know I have to run more. I know I have to eat better. I just don't want to.

=(
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2013, 09:59:04 AM »
Injured myself working out while in the city for a conference. My friends started doing P90X and I was going through some of the workouts with them*. Fine for about a week, but doing the Ab ripper series caused me to strain my neck, black out in pain, and have a massive head-and-neckache for the rest of the day. It's happened before when pushing myself too hard while working out, but this one was concerning more because there was no lead up to it before I had the spasm, so it's not even like I can feel it coming and slow the fuck down. It's kind of upsetting because going through a work out program like P90X was actually easier for me to stick to than "Well I guess I'll lift these weights meh I don't really feel like it", very similar to when I completed Couch to 5K. Unfortunately while looking into P90X's kid brother, P90, the work outs just aren't intense enough.  Meh.

*Also holy shit the guy in the videos is the biggest fucking toolbox on the planet. Jesus fucking christ.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2013, 02:31:11 PM »
Tony is the biggest toolbox on the planet, but it's a damn good workout. He makes good points about adjusting things for your level of fitness. If you're straining so hard that you're injuring yourself, you need to scale it back until you do the whole workout. Ab Ripper especially. Take breaks, you don't have to master it in a week.

Idun

« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2013, 11:13:11 PM »
Hahaha, Jim and Scar.

.. I have a solution: play more DDR! D'uh!!

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2013, 04:45:05 AM »
Hahaha, Jim and Scar.

.. I have a solution: play more DDR! D'uh!!

That...is pretty much my solution, yes.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2013, 06:31:45 AM »
Tony is the biggest toolbox on the planet, but it's a damn good workout. He makes good points about adjusting things for your level of fitness. If you're straining so hard that you're injuring yourself, you need to scale it back until you do the whole workout. Ab Ripper especially. Take breaks, you don't have to master it in a week.

Oh yeah, agreed on every point there. Really it was more trying to keep up with my workout partners (dumb dumb idea) than anything. I'm just a little concerned that I won't know WHEN I need to slow down, since this muscle strain just came out of nowhere. I was doing fine until oh suddenly time for blue electric knife in the back of the head. @_@

Idun

« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2013, 09:38:47 PM »
Running again. Easy to do with time on my hands in Atlanta.
First day, 2.4m 36min (including stop to switch out dogs)
Second, 1.69m 1140 min (did not take dogs)
Third, 1.69m 1306min
Today 1.69 1106

Okay. I'll get this 1.5m uphill run down to 10m by January 1. Anything else would be failure. Fat thighs, get to thundering!

Idun

« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2013, 01:15:08 AM »
Saturday 1.5 1034  (also forgot to use that MapMyWalk early into the run, maybe 20 steps)
Sunday no running, pouring rain

so yay. I see a 10. that is good.

Idun

« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2014, 09:53:19 PM »
Running 3 miles 3-4 times a week. So cool, nice to see my previous times here - I moved over to MapMyRun (meaning I lost mileage data).

Now running miles from 8:50-9:50 time differences, feeling good about it. Prepping for a half marathon (13m) in the fall. (-:

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2014, 02:33:06 PM »
Up until now P90X3 has been a definite step down in intensity from P90X1, for obvious reasons: Half hour workouts instead of hour +, more focus on core work than muscle building, blah blah blah.

That was month one. The first weight training exercise of Month 2 kicked my ass, haaaaaard. I can barely move my arms, almost like when I first started doing any weight training. Hoooooly shit.