Author Topic: Munchkin League Final  (Read 639 times)

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
Munchkin League Final
« on: January 02, 2016, 10:40:55 PM »
Finals
Sorceress Rinoa vs. White Mage Khimari

Sorceress Rinoa
Has full stock of status and elemental magics, but no Magic command.  Has Item command and one Aura Stone.  Has one Status Defense Junction, cannot cast that spell.

White Mage Khimari
Stats: HP–3444 MP–278 STR–27 DEF–28 MAG–42 SPR–23 AGI–28 LUK–18 EVA–21 ACC-12
Attack- 514 damage
Holy (85 MP)- 8223 damage
Curaga (20 MP)- 4880 healing
Reflect (14 MP)
Dispel (12 MP)
Regen (40 MP)

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Munchkin League Final
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 11:49:59 PM »
Sorceress Rinoa vs. White Mage Kimahri
Checking a FAQ, FF8's best spells usually aren't reflectable - Ultima, Tornado, & Flare all aren't reflectable.  So Aura -> Angel Wing wrecks unless you force Rinoa to have all magic (in which case she...  still has an argument off Angelo stuff beating out perfect evade!  but irrelevant to me.)

Surprised, thought Kimahri would cheese his way to victory, but turns out that reliably winning in 2 turns is good enough.  There were a decent number of Rinoa spoilers in the pool, anything with good turn 1 disabling status she can't block really or even just an average speed 2HKO, but.

EDIT: Whoops, Kim wins after all, Aura is dispellable (it's invincible / Holy War effect that isn't dispellable).  Rinoa could TECHNICALLY somehow wait for a double, and hope to Limit right away on her 2nd action, but yeahno.  Kimpremacy after all as predicted.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 12:06:20 AM by SnowFire »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 03:03:06 AM »
Sorceress Rinoa vs. White Mage Khimari: Yeah, once again the doubleturn strategy is completely out, since there's no way for Rinoa to trade turns here: she only has one Aura Stone, and once that's dispelled, it's game over: there's literally nothing she can do. Kimahri sits there building Overdrive via Ally mode until Stone Breath / Bad Breath otherwise.

In hindsight E&C + Reflect is a bit too evil for this division.

EDIT: Actually I suppose Rinoa can beat herself up... but that's really only a viable strategy against people with very poor damage, and Kimahri's Holy is adequate (and Rinoa wasn't given Elem-Def).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 03:46:28 AM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 01:04:33 PM »
I will admit I'm curious how Kimahri lost his requisite fights to be nominated. Was it by sheer luck that the of the 5, 3 of them spoiled his tricks?

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 01:11:35 PM »
Well, Rydia and Beowulf both spoil the hell out of him and Demi has an argument. It happens.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2016, 07:13:57 PM »
I think half of us forgot that he came with E&C. He would've fit the appropriate power level a lot better without it. As is, I think he was even ranked Middle in the DL, IIRC.

Sorceress Rinoa vs. White Mage Kimahri
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2016, 08:10:37 PM »
He's pretty vulnerable to status which gets past his game (either turn 1 reflectable, or turn almost anything and not reflectable), which... ended up being fairly underrepresented in the bracket. Otherwise you need to hit him hard and fast with offence of a rare type, which kinda indicates a Heavy. (He's kinda slow, but he has regen and an overdrive so he's not easy to heal-lock at all.)

I don't think anyone took a proper look at him vs. the gauntlet, because for what it's worth I think he does in fact notch 3 wins out of 5. (Demi might have a case if not for Regen and Sleep Ward... if not for those she might be able to 2HKO him on a double or win with sleephax.)

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.