Author Topic: RPGDL 2020 Season 1 Finals  (Read 1475 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
RPGDL 2020 Season 1 Finals
« on: April 10, 2020, 09:04:58 PM »
Godlike

Cloud of Darkness (Final Fantasy III) vs Isolde Schelling (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis)

Heavy

Red (SaGa Frontier) vs Celes Cher (Final Fantasy VI)

Middle

Tharja (Fire Emblem Awakening) vs White Rose (SaGa Frontier)

Light

Mustadio Bunansa (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Tricia (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters)

Rankings!- For each game, indicate if it should be added to the DL Rankings

Child of Light
Pokémon X/Y
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume

Data Mine- Please indicate if you have played the following games.  If you object to them being ranked at all, please indicate this as well.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Pokemon Sword/Shield
Tales of Berseria
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: RPGDL 2020 Season 1 Finals
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 09:38:06 PM »
Uh, sure, rank Pokemon X/Y.  I think Child of Light was great but it feels a little late to rank it?  idk, it's been 6 years or so.  I guess call it a cautious yes.

Played FE3H and Fell Seal.  Own Mario + Rabbids and technically have played a bit of it, but not finished, but probably could play more if there was a push.  No to Sword/Shield and effectively no to Berseria (played even less of it than M+R).

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 09:39:11 PM »
Heavy

Red (SaGa Frontier)
vs Celes Cher (Final Fantasy VI)- Celes really needed vanish for this fight.

Light

Mustadio Bunansa (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Tricia (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters)- Think this is right offhand. Mustadio's not damaging enough, even if I allowed Equip Axe (axes suck)

Child of Light- Abstain; seems harmless but I object on general principals of booting something like AtL2 and adding something like this. 
Pokémon X/Y- E: No. Do we even have a stat topic for this? E: Apparently we do so abstain
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume- No. I have no problem ranking most anything in CKDL as long as people care about it.  This game is widely disliked, the main has massive votesplit and the bosses and PC's are splitpath. Definitely something to pass on.

Data Mine- Please indicate if you have played the following games.  If you object to them being ranked at all, please indicate this as well.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses- Haven't played.
Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark- Haven't played, will at some point.
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle- Played. Is a fine enough DL game; wouldn't rank any bosses though.
Pokemon Sword/Shield- Haven't played.  Same objections apply as they did to X/Y.
Tales of Berseria- Haven't played.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 09:53:29 PM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 11:56:35 PM »
Godlike

Cloud of Darkness (Final Fantasy III) vs Isolde Schelling (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis): Probably. Going first + has more durability.

Heavy

Red (SaGa Frontier) vs Celes Chere (Final Fantasy VI): No Vanish these days, so it goes.

Middle

Tharja (Fire Emblem Awakening) vs White Rose (SaGa Frontier): Uh. Tharja does have trouble breaking past White Rose's healing since her offence isn't super-high. White Rose has trouble making damage stick because of Nosferatu and Tomebreaker. But she doesn't have to, she'll land status sooner or later. LightSword gives her extra speed/durability to work with and I don't think Tharja can really break past that. Could be argued, good final.

Light

Mustadio Bunansa (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Tricia (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters): Don't think I allow Equip Axe, it's universal. But... more to the point, I don't let other duellers change their "type" against Soul Nomad since that isn't possible in-game IIRC. Mustadio is clearly a gunner even if he can pull shenanigans to equip an axe.

Child of Light: Yes. Don't really get the AtL2 comment; CoL is above 50% while AtL2 is below, and that is the cutoff we use.
Pokémon X/Y: Yes. It'll probably be another Tierkreis and not get nommed much, but not going to oppose it just because of that.
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume: No. Wyl is a giant interp split and nobody really seems to care about any of its other duellers except Ailyth/Garm. At that point the game is probably a better fit for Futurama.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses: Yes. It's great, play it!
Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark: Yes. It's great, play it!
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle: Yes. It's great, play it!
Pokemon Sword/Shield: No.
Tales of Berseria: Yes. It's great, play it!

The most elf-bait datamine of all time?

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2020, 04:33:01 AM »
Heavy

Red (SaGa Frontier) vs Celes Cher (Final Fantasy VI) - well this was how I voted when this was a PG match.

Middle

Tharja (Fire Emblem Awakening) vs White Rose (SaGa Frontier) - Probably.

Light

Mustadio Bunansa (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Tricia (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) - I mean putting aside the Equip Axe issue for now (and since axes are bad I'm not 100% sure it would outdamage a punch setup on average), as Elfboy notes it's not like that should do anything to change what his type match would be.

Rankings

Child of Light - Yes
Pokémon X/Y - Yes
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume - While I'm all for new blood this is probably one of the worst ideas in a while so no.

Data Mine

Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Played
Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - Played
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle - Not played
Pokemon Sword/Shield - Not played but will start on it at some point in the foreseeable future
Tales of Berseria - Not played

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 01:42:38 AM »
Godlike

Cloud of Darkness (Final Fantasy III) vs Isolde Schelling (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis)

Heavy

Red (SaGa Frontier) vs Celes Chere (Final Fantasy VI)

Middle

Light

Mustadio Bunansa (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Tricia (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters)

Child of Light - Yes
Pokémon X/Y - Yes

Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Played.
Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - Played.
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle - Played.
Pokemon Sword/Shield - Not played.
Tales of Berseria - Will vote on.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 05:58:08 PM »
Are we ignoring the Mega form vote-split that X/Y would cause? I don't remember how accessible those were, but that covers all RBY Pokemon (at the very least, although not all had mega forms), right?
...into the nightfall.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2020, 07:32:15 PM »
My instinct there would be to simply consider "Mega (X)" as its own separate character for DL purposes, for all that of course by any typical DL conventions they're granted by perfectly legal accessories.
Now granted gen to gen wild variation in Pokemon ranks is nothing new if we're honest, so it could be I'm just too used to rolling with the punches as far as Pokemon goes on that front.

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 12:24:03 AM »
Godlike

Heavy

Middle

Light

Child of Light- Rank
Pokémon X/Y- Rank
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume- Nah.  I kinda like the idea of FULL POWER Wyl because it's got some wild stuff on it but nobody votes that way and nothing else except Garm is worth nomming.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses- Played
Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Pokemon Sword/Shield- Played
Tales of Berseria

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2020, 08:24:36 PM »
Light

Mustadio Bunansa (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Tricia (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) - yeah, I'm not going to respect Equip Axe changing Mustadio's typing here.  Moreso, Tricia just plain outfights here.

Child of Light - ...yeah, I don't really see much of a problem ranking them here.  Rank

Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Have not played.
Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - Have played the first chapter or so of.  Need to play more.
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle - Have not played
Pokemon Sword/Shield - Have not played.
Tales of Berseria - Have played (some of).  Need to play more.
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

Reiska

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2020, 08:29:55 PM »
No votes here because I'm lazy and I agree with the consensus anyway on the 2 matches I could vote, so whatever.

Rankings:

Child of Light - abstain because I haven't played it/don't know it that well
Pokemon X/Y - yes; concur that Mega Evolutions should be their own distinct nominations
Covenant of the Plume - no for the reasons others have stated

Datamine:

Haven't played any of them, don't object to any of them.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2020, 01:43:18 AM »
Godlike

Cloud of Darkness (Final Fantasy III) vs Isolde Schelling (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis) - hmm... think they're relatively close, but Isolde is faster, so.

Heavy

Middle

Light

Mustadio Bunansa (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Tricia (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters) - I'm not sure even allowing Musty to change type with Equip Axe would actually swing things his way, so it's an easy vote for Trish.

Child of Light - played, but I don't really remember what each member of the cast does apart from Oengus and Aurora, abstain
Pokémon X/Y - Rank, Pokemon is evergreen
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume - Rank, personally I love this game, and I'm voting based on what I personally would like to see, but I don't expect anyone else to agree.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses - played, possibly the only good ranking option for the foreseeable future
Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark - not played, but I could be convinced to try it
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle - played, great game, dunno how good it'll be in the DL, but it seems fine at a glance?
Pokemon Sword/Shield - not played, but maybe once all the DLC is released on one physical copy of the game, I'll pick it up
Tales of Berseria - played. Also my nomination for game of the year 2017 (yes, over P5 and Nier:A)

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2020, 02:22:44 PM »
Godlike

Heavy

Middle

Light

Child of Light: Sure I don't see a problem. Has a stat topic. Widely played.
Pokémon X/Y: No opinion (haven't played)
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume: Sure. Has a stat topic, a bunch of people have played.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses: Haven't played.
Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark: Haven't played.
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle: Haven't played.
Pokemon Sword/Shield: Haven't played.
Tales of Berseria: Played. (No one has done a stat topic and it'd be difficult to do well, so maybe skip it?)

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2020, 02:48:43 AM »
Fell Seal is currently 10 bucks on Steam, so if you are itching for an FFT variant RPG, it’s a good time to nab it!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 03:08:08 AM by Luther Lansfeld »
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2020, 02:50:20 PM »
Godlike

Cloud of Darkness (Final Fantasy III)- i vs Isolde Schelling (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis)- iii

Heavy

Red (SaGa Frontier)- iiiiii vs Celes Cher (Final Fantasy VI)- i

Middle

Tharja (Fire Emblem Awakening) vs White Rose (SaGa Frontier)- iiiii

Light

Mustadio Bunansa (Final Fantasy Tactics)- i vs Tricia (Soul Nomad & The World Eaters)- iiiiiii

Child of Light  Yes- iiiiiii 7/10 Ranked
Pokémon X/Y yes iiiiiii 7/10 Ranked
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume  yes ii 2/10 no iiiii 5/10 Rejected

Fire Emblem: Three Houses 6/17 Snowfire, elfboy, Random, ciatos, Ck, djinn,
Fell Seal: Arbiter's Mark  4/17 Snowfire, elfboy, Random, ciatos,
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle 4/17 super, elfboy, ciatos, djinn,
Pokemon Sword/Shield  1/17 CK,
Tales of Berseria 4/17 elfboy, ciatos, djinn, Pyro,