Register

Author Topic: What Games are You Playing 2018?  (Read 35564 times)

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are You Playing 2018?
« Reply #450 on: September 19, 2018, 12:52:30 AM »
Played some of the postgame, and yikes.  Boss of the Forest of No Return wiped me fast, and boss of the Shrine of the Archmagus also beat me, although I nearly killed him.  Guess I need to grind or something?  Maybe, I'm still beneath the recommended level, although not by THAT much.  But no, there's gonna be some sneaky way to win.  Wish I'd brought Alfyn, he could work down the late-fight 10 shields pretty fast with those Ruinous Seed mixes of his.

Haha did I say that?  Whoops.  What I meant was "I put my Switch in sleep mode with 1 living party member at critical health and 2 boss turns coming up."  However Dreisang was generous in his next two turns and let me recover, and the low-health party member was Ophilia with the ability to boost a Revive and ALSO having an Encore proc still left to use on Auto-Lifing through the next turn.  Victory after all.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #451 on: September 19, 2018, 08:18:06 AM »
Mario + Rabbids: Cool, the latest Mario RPG is pretty strategically deep and employs a fascinatingly western sense of humor by inserting the minion-ripoffs into it. Unlike the Minions, the Rabbids in this game manage to get a few chuckles, particularly Rabbid Peach.

The most important take away from M+R is that someone looked at the game, said 'this is an RPG, it NEEDS something to really codify that... I've GOT it, Bowser needs to get brainwashed by a big bad and grow some giant JRPG Final Boss Wings and get some glowing tattoos!' It is simultaneously the most JRPG thing ever AND the most... World of Warcraft aesthetic ever in a Mario game. I love his goofy edgelord wings.

Trails in the Sky The 3rd:

I wasn't really sold on the opening premise of 'let's explore a dungeon and get character flashback vignettes' until the big 'twist' at the end recontextualized it all to make it make sense instead of just being excuse game plot to show cool vignettes. Like... that framework took some balls. Bravo Trails, keep up those writing chops!

Trails of Zero:

Started this. A testament to how good the Trails series is doing so far, I played two of them back to back and I have immediately picked up another, this one doesn't even have an official English translation! Playing with a ~meh~ fan patch, but the strength of the original writing is strong enough to carry it thus far. The setup of being actual police detectives instead of weird outside-government fantasy mercenaries or military high school students is more innately interesting to me anyway.

Furthermore! My favorite members of the cast so far are the outwardly-milquetoast male protagonist and the 14-year-old girl prodigy... That's as much of a surprise to me as it is to all of you who know which types of characters I tend to hate!

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: September 20, 2018, 01:03:10 AM »
Mario + Rabbids: Cool, the latest Mario RPG is pretty strategically deep and employs a fascinatingly western sense of humor by inserting the minion-ripoffs into it. Unlike the Minions, the Rabbids in this game manage to get a few chuckles, particularly Rabbid Peach.

Despicable Me was released in 2010; Rayman: Raving Rabbids was released in 2006. So if anything, it's the minions that are rabbid-ripoffs. :) Glad you enjoyed the game regardless!

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: September 20, 2018, 06:23:24 AM »
Tales of Berseria

It's been... 11 years? But here we are, I'm finally giving Tales another shot again. So far this game is... pretty good! The game has a lot of writing and it's pretty compelling. Velvet is a delightful ball of revenge-fueled nastiness, with enough backstory and soft points to feel human and okay to cheer for (even as she does surprisingly terrible things for what is on the surface a reasonably light-hearted RPG). Part of me wishes they'd gone even more all-in on the squickiness of her literally eating people (they often seem to tiptoe around it except for making really dark jokes). but honestly it's still better than I'd have expected. Rest of the cast is decent enough; Magilou is a delightful troll, Rokurou can be surprisingly funny too, #2 (recently renamed in a totally healthy fashion by Velvet) is... we'll see where they go with him, but obviously has some potential as a serious character and certainly contrasts the rest of the party. Eizen is probably the weak link so far (his shtick about bad luck doesn't earn him points) but is perfectly workable and often serves to dish out setting details other PCs wouldn't reasonably know and/or share, and the setting is actually pretty good! The main antagonist definitely has a pretty unique role in the world; I don't think I've ever heard NPCs praise a main antagonist so much outside of D&D campaigns where the DM has a twisted sense of humour. (Actually ToB kinda feels like a twisted D&D campaign in general. I may formulate more thoughts on that later once I'm a bit further, but it fits pretty well so far!)

Anyway just got back from my assassination mission of the high priest. Eizen got in an anime duel with some other male and told Velvet to stay out of it so she responded by beating both of them up. Velvet is pretty great btw. ~13 hours in.

The gameplay is pretty underwhelming (Tales mashiness + most non-Velvet PCs seemingly not being very fun to control, sadly) but I don't actually mind too much, the game keeps the writing humming with the near-constant party banter which rarely gets old because of the personalities involved.

I don't think I ever expected to play a Mario and Tales back-to-back and enjoy the Tales game more, this is truly the strangest timeline.

Fire Emblem Conquest: All Swords update

Bitter Intrigue (C12): Laslow and Peri join on this map which brings me up to seven sword-users, so for the first time I really feel like a full team. Unfortunately I also drop to one staff user as Elise is not available. Anyway the ninjas in the middle o the map are a bit tricky due to having WTA on me but since Camilla is still OP it doesn't matter much, they fold eaisly enough. The rest of the map is mostly straightforward, I keep the pots around to limit the enemies and still get through in plenty of time, even grabbing both chests... and even more importantly, the Kodachi, my only source of physical ranged damage until Xander joins. I stack tonics and potion rewards on Camilla and she smashes Ryoma up with a forged bronze sword well enough.

Uprising (C13): One of the tougher fights for sure. The wyvern/knight pairups are reaally bulky and annoying to defend against. On the right, I eventually settle for Armourslayering the knights with a Selena/Camilla pairup and a Strength Tonic + forged iron lets Camilla barely ORKO Takumi. Meanwhile, the left side's mages get taken out by a mix of timely pairup Kodachi counters and attack stance to carve through them fast. I bait Orochi into coming forward as dual strike support then KO her with a dual strike of my own (which is important because she hits really hard). Then there's Reina's group; Reina herself merely has good stats, but complicating matters are the two Beastslayers here, since several of my sword users are mounted. The cavaliers also hit really hard generally, 2-3HKOing, so they're a bit tricky to take out. Finally there's Scarlet, the hardest boss so far. She starts with a Steel Lance equipped, so has WTA on me, and also has enough speed to be hard to double, huge physical stats, and gains a bit crit boost on her own phase (or at lxwow HP). Lure her forward with a dual strike, +Spd Camilla takes off a bunch of her health without fear of crit, then finish with someone else. Making matters hairy is six reinforcements show up on the turn she is lured forward, but nothing that can't be handled.

Voice of Paradise (C14): Leo joins! D rank swords, reasonably durable (especially res) and mobile but poor offence. Ah well. More importantly I get my first Levin Sword, which gives my +mag Corrin a big shot of 1-2 offence. Anyway it's mostly a straightforwrad map, with two trouble points. First of all, there are a couple staff users near the centre right of the map, with Enfeeble/Freeze. And as you approach them there are two pegasus knights that descend, one of whom has a Swordcatcher (hit weakness on sword-users!). She's also fast of course. Combined with Enfeeble she can wreck almost anyone. On the second run I make a quick run to her and kill her while staying just out of swordcatcher's range, and instead bait the swordcatcher with Camilla who comes in from the top area. Then there are two paired up kinshi + pegasus knights who are difficult to bait and a pain to kill due to their speed, dual guard, and the fact that, of course, you have to kill them twice. But being ready for them the second time they're not so bad.

The Black Pillar (C15): Corrin/Azura/Gunter map, largely proceeds as normal. Not easy exactly (especially lacking WTA against the ninjas) but I still win in normal enough fashion, wiping out all the enemies on the copy side so I get all the items.

Invasion (C16): Xander get! Anyway Xander goes right to the mercenary/outlaw side where he's basically invincible, other PCs just exist to get some exp. Left side is a bit tougher with lots of mages and axedudes so I send both my 1-2 units left (Corrin and Peri/Laslow with the Kodachi, mainly used by Peri due to res + enough speed to not be doubled). It's slow going, the map is designed so you can bait out enemies piecemeal more easily than is normal for Conquest but of course you lose a bit of money for taking more time. Whatever, I lose out on ~1500 gold due to taking 9 turns instead of, say, 4, I think I can deal. (I actually have lots of money, only maintaining one weapon type helps.)

Shura joins. I make him a Hero and he's actually pretty good? His overall stats are plenty solid. Obviously only E rank swords for now and he's support-starved but he still plays a good utility role. Also nice to have someone with Locktouch who can fight.

At this point I pick up Sophie since the unit count expands in the next chapter, and Sophie seems reasonably solid. She's actually been available since before C13 but I was always impatiently chasing main story recruits. Sophie's paralogue is pretty easy aside from the race to keep the villagers from suiciding, but with Xander and Levin Corrin on the job there, everything's fine.

Den of Betrayal (C17): Pretty tough, but I win first try anyway, yay. Anyway there's a big chokepoint in the middle of the map where the staff user is (She has Silence), Xander can block that! He's still basically invincible. I initially have other units there but eventually I just keep Elise there within 2 for Demoiselle and move everyone else up north to deal with the reinforcements there. Silver Shuriken Master Ninjas are scary man, 24 speed and solid attack and poison strike. And of course weapon triangle is a thing. Saizo is solid, helping out in various ways (disarming traps, since Shura can't be everywhere); I keep him healed. He actually reaches the boss and... helps out there too? Boss is a bit of a nightmare due to 27 speed, super evade, hitting both deences, and WTA, but with Camilla's Heartseeker to control him a bit, a timely hit from Saizo (who immunes his Grizzly Wound, even), I'm able to bring him down. 20 turns, so excessively long, but hey, I'll take it.

Most of my PCs are promoted now (Corrin in C15, the rest in Sophie's paralogue and C17). I don't anticipate too much trouble for the next few maps, but we'll see.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: September 20, 2018, 02:17:07 PM »
Magilou is a delightful troll.

I just want to emphasize how generally insane and horrifying Magilou is. She's the 'joke' character but is a terrible human who likes to inflict pain on all who stand in her path. She reminds me of Lily Valendorf but a little more of a joke character. She fits into this evil DnD party just fine.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: September 20, 2018, 09:28:44 PM »
Magilou is, mostly, really great.  Her English voice acting is perfect.  I wish they'd chosen a different VA or different voice direction for Rokurou - in Japanese his voicing is more lighthearted and animated and he draws a better contrast to Eizen.  Speaking of Eizen, unlike most of the cast where context doesn't matter a ton, his storyline is directly tied to ToZ where he's become a dragon, and is put out of his misery by the PCs in that game, who include his sister.  Other than that, you don't really need to know much about ToZ until the very end of the game.  I will be interested to hear what you think of #2 as the game progresses.  Re: PCs gameplay, it's a weakness of the game that most aren't that much fun to control and can't hold a candle to Velvet, but take heart: there's another fun PC to control that you get later.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 09:30:24 PM by NotMiki »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: September 21, 2018, 02:22:55 AM »
After ToZ it does my heart good to hear praise from elves of all people.

Will await more feedback on that. I am hoping it isn't as overboard with cruelty-to-children such that it becomes a joke like in ToZ.

Still monkeying around with Bravely Second for stat topic reasons. Normal in that game is kind of a joke and it really should be played on Hard.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 02:41:46 AM by Pyro »

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: September 23, 2018, 08:23:48 PM »
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon

Game started. Game finished! Not a lot to say that hasn't already been said. It's a good, short platforming fix. Difficulty was probably on the right side for me, which is to say that I died a bunch in the later levels but most bosses were first-try wins. I did bring all the meatshields with me, though. Not in a hurry to try a solo Zangetsu run! (Miriam did most of the work on the last boss, with everyone else tanking hits and farming weapon energy.)

MC50

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: September 24, 2018, 03:55:30 AM »
Thanks for Xenogears discussion. I absolutely liked it in some ways, even if it has problems - I at least liked it enough to be disappointed in how rush Disc 2's plot was, even if it was a product of its time.

Anyway, I've also been playing Dragon Quest XI. In early Act Two, I guess you would say.

...I'm liking the game, but I'm actually really sad that Dragon Quest got rid of random battles. I felt like that was the thing it always did really well - had simple combat systems, but dungeons that really strained your resources, you make it to the boss - maybe you beat them, maybe you don't - but the generous respawn means you'll keep your EXP and most of your money and know how to tackle it next time.

This game doesn't have that. You skip every enemy, except maybe the one that touches you - because why wouldn't you? True, I am playing on Normal (with no EXP from weaker enemies) because I wasn't sure of the difficulty, and hearing what I know about it, I don't think I'd want harder monsters either - because I feel like it would likely make me just grind more -  Not in the dungeons or anything, mind you. Just outside, near a free heal, on autobattle. Maybe I'm wrong and the hard difficulty is perfect, but I dunno... The stuff I like about Dragon Quest combat isn't really there.

But they have all sorts of skills that have existed in older games that would be useful in those games - recover MP after battle, Max MP up, Holy Protection. Why would I bother with any of that when you can conserve MP just by running past everything?

I dunno, most people seem to like being able to battle when they choose, but I feel like Dragon Quest really misses something without it.

Game difficulty might get harder, but is currently quite easy. Main is Lv. 31 and my party members are six levels above me due to them joining higher, which makes me wonder how hard they think this game is? Again, I suppose I can't complain too much, not playing on the harder difficulty. Just my experience with Dragon Quest was that Normal was usually quite satisfying (DQ4, DQ5, DQ8)

Oh, and this isn't a problem unique to this game, but every dungeon is boring as sin. Especially with no random enemies to speak of. It's dodge enemies in a straight line. Or maybe dodge enemies in a curvy line. No puzzles to speak of, and with no randoms, nothing to give the dungeons character either - in older games you might be in a dungeon with annoying mummy randoms that poison you a lot, or enemies that cast Beat that you have to focus down first. In this game, I auto whenever I run into a random enemy. Reminds me of Tales of Berseria, another game I liked quite a bit with dungeons that were "Walk forward, press A", which is a little dissapointing. I don't need crazy Lufia 2 puzzles, but something to make the areas memorable and less automated.

That being said, I am enjoying just about everything else about the game. Graphics are nice. Areas are nice. It's fun to see old monsters again. Dialogue is generally quite good, and I like the characters. Story is fun enough. And I am enjoying it, playing it just about every day. Just feels like a bit of a shame, since I actually like Dragon Quest oldschool dungeon crawling.

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: September 25, 2018, 11:32:23 AM »
Dragon Quest XI: Finished.  Took about 85 hours but who knows how much was just idling.  Maybe 3-5 hours? Spoiler free discusion. Anyways,  this game is what happens when you give Dragon Quest a real budget, not just books of text.  Generally if you enjoyed Dragon Quest VIII you will like XI.  I think I liked VIII more due to a more concise story and better feeling of adventure.  A real downside is the repetivie soundtrack and used of MIDIs.  Seriously I think I could count the number of tracks with two hands.  At one point I turned off the music due to the goddawful general field theme.

There's special restrictions you can set up at the start of the game.  No armor, no buying from shops, a silly permanent status effect that sometimes eats a turn for your hero.  The biggest one is stronger monsters.  It's no joke, monsters are generally twice or even three times as strong.  The game is auto battle easy otherwise.  Party members function like they did in VIII: specialty roles with a skill tree for some customization.  Since you can reset skill points at any time, you can try out many builds until you find one you like....if half of the skill trees weren't useless.  Why spears on a healer?  Weapon skills on your pure support character is a waste of time.  2-handed swords do more damage than 1-handed swords for 90% of the game, and shields aren't powerful enough on their own. Not to mention 2 handed weapons have better block than shields anyways.  Boomerangs are useless due to their poor accuracy, meaning you have to dive into the skill tree for accuracy+ passives.

There's not much in the way of dungeon crawling.  You can avoid almost every encounter, metal enemies are common and can be summoned at will with a special ability, and thanks for forging you don't really need money.  I agree with MC50 that's there's an appeal of slogging though a whole dungeon, focused on conserving MP so you have enough resources to fight the boss.  This was the better part of Persona 3/4/5's pacing and kind of sad to see it go in the series that started it.

The game divides itself into three parts.  The first part of the game, the longest one too, is great.  It has those little side stories that complement the main quest very well.  There's a linear path the game wants you to take but you can do somethings out of order if you like.  The second part has a strong beginning but kind of goes into a boss rush mode while you gather your party again.  There's one part that was a total buzzkill because it's random as hell.  The third part is mostly sidequest content to power you up for the final boss which I swear looks like a horrible amalgamation of every Dragon Ball Z villain.  I'm sorry I can't take you seriously when you look so fucking stupid.

Good game but not amazing.  Apparently it's missing content that the 3DS version has.  I didn't even know there was a 3DS version until after I beat the game.  I wouldn't bother with it anyways, not really into 2d sprite shit after the dung heap Octopath Traveler.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: September 25, 2018, 04:07:22 PM »
Dragon Quest 11: parked outside the true final boss but I'm not sure when I'll feel the desire to grind out a few levels and wrap things up so imma review now: this game has boatloads of polish but is frankly a disappointment because the plot takes every opportunity to give the characters even a bit of depth or agency and squanders it all.

Let's talk about not-the-plot to get it out of the way: the ps4 version has orchestral music, and it's nice but frankly wasted on a soundtrack that is mostly rather dull.  There are a few melodic standouts - Nautilus and Hotto town music - but the rest is forgettable at best until the postgame when the world map music mercifully changes (and they also feature one of the better pieces of music from DQ8).  The game's map is huge and the environments are really stellar, particularly the towns which are delightfully three-dimensional, so if searching the corners of a world map or navigating towns where you're going through a house to get to the ladder that takes you to the roof to walk across the wire to another roof and jump into a garden is your bag, the game's got you covered.  You can avoid random encounters, usually without much trouble, so that makes dungeons less of a slog than they could be.  The dungeons themselves are rather dull, though.  Skills are a real standout feature of the game, as they're on a big grid and, most importantly, are totally respeccable.  In the latter half of the game, you can end up respeccing a lot as your equipment shifts around and as you hit benchmarks that enable you to have certain combos of skills unlocked simultaneously.  It's a lot of fun.  Random encounters, playing on normal, are entirely forgettable - I set the game on auto-battle and did not regret it.  Bosses are good - the average boss experience was fairly threatening and required careful thought about balancing healing, status/buffing, and offense.  Ok, now for the plot.  Morderate spoilers ahead, followed by major spoilers.

The plot is surprising only in that every time you think there will be a plot twist, the twist is that the plot is not twisting.  Every element you think will be interesting later on turns out to be the least interesting version of itself.  Perhaps the only exception to this is Sylvando's plot, but the game is so filled with effete gay stereotypes that it's hard to give it any credit on that score.  He himself is ok, despite looking and acting like he just walked off the set of The Bird Cage, he's heroic and bold.  It works!  But in the latter half of the game he gets a troupe of followers and it is just so cringey.  A collection of the most exaggeratedly feminine and wimpy men you could imagine calling everyone darling and honey.  Multiple of them have lisps and one even give an exaggerated wrist flop.  It's 2018 for god's sake.

Ok very specific spoilers now: there's one really cool thing the game does and it is the postgame plot.  But it's also the best example of how infuriating the plot can be.  So.  Halfway through the game the party, on the cusp of getting the sword of light, gets rekt by the bad guy's minion, and the bad guy, who had been possessing a king, and who promptly takes over the world and everything goes to shit.  In the end, you heroically depose him, saving the world, but things still suck.  In the aftergame, you get the ability to go back in time to right before you got punk'd and do things differently.  Only the main character can go, and he takes his place in the party from the past (so he's like lvl 50 and they're all in their 30s).  This is cool and fun, you think!  You beat the bad guy's minion and it's very satisfying, and then the bad guy possessing the king shows up and pretends like he's not the bad guy and you...you just go along with it.  See, in this game, the concept of "silent main" doesn't mean some character that you, the player, can pretend to step into the shoes of.  It means a mute person with no agency and no ability or perhaps inclination to communicate important details like "hey the king is possessed by the final boss" to the other members of the party.  So the game squanders the opportunity to punk the final boss, and does it in the dumbest way possible.  This isn't the only time in the game this happens either.  See, there are these little blue alien dudes everywhere, and they're incorporeal and just kinda walk around not interacting with anything.  Over the course of the plot it becomes apparent that the main character can see them and no one else can.  And it becomes apparent to the main character that this is in fact the case.  And?  The main character just never communicates that information to anyone, ever.

I wanted to like DQ11 more than I did, but the plot just never has the payoffs it teases, and almost invariably executes the various plot elements in the least interesting way possible, so that even things that should be cool are just dull.

Also also: the main character's hair is awful.  What were they thinking?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 05:31:17 PM by NotMiki »

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: September 25, 2018, 05:28:52 PM »
When I was about a third of the way through DQ11, my plan in reviewing the game was to say that the silent main doesn't work because of a kind of uncanny valley effect, where everyone else is voiced and the world is fleshed out, and the player is not using their imagination to fill in the details of anything, because there are no details to fill in.  It made it impossible to imagine that the main character was anything other than the mute fellow he appeared to be.  I thought, basically, that the director had made a mistake in sticking to the silent main bit but that the director was at least intending for the players to be able to imagine the main character as a bold hero.  But it's really worse than that because the game goes out of its way to remove any sense of agency from the main character whatsoever.  You're not playing as a doer of things and superimposing your own personality onto the way things get done.  You're playing as a person who is, explicitly, mute and passive.  And that just sucks.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: September 25, 2018, 06:54:35 PM »
I decided to replay SaGa Frontier after playing Octopath Traveller. It's still great. I did Asellus's path in about six hours. Gen managed to get DSC at around hour 2 and most of the rest of the game crumbled. Orlouge was actually pretty tough still because of his crazy MT and multiacting at the end of the battle. Thank god for Mesarthim, even though she only had 450 HP. LifeRain is so dumb.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #463 on: September 26, 2018, 03:36:59 AM »
Dragon Quest XI:

Well, I'm nowhere near done, but I'm definitely having the exact opposite reaction to the game as previous posters (what else is new?). The surprising part is that it's a Dragon Quest game that I actually -really- like. Getting rid of the boring slog of pure random encounters means I can tailor the difficulty of a dungeon to what I want. Grind for an easier boss, or not-grind for less tedium. Absolutely this alone makes it better than every other DQ game in my perspective.

Re: Sylvando and gay representation in video games oh god I hope no one crucifies me for this:
There are definitely two ways to look at this. I totally get NotMiki's initial impression of 'Not all gay people are *this*'. And that's true! It's unfortunate that there are stereotypes of all gay people acting flamboyantly.

It's also unfortunate that this stereotype is overwhelmingly portrayed in a negative light. Even in this game, I can see the seams where the localizers very craftily papered over a pretty offensive portrayal from the original Japanese game. Little animations and musical cues and gameplay functions that couldn't be changed with simple text show that the Japanese version of Sylvando and other okama-type characters was, at least sometimes, okay with making a joke where the punchline was 'lol look at him he gay'. Thankfully, the localizers went above and beyond to never do this, but you can't change the fact that when a female character blows a kiss as an attack, it causes swooning and charm, but when Sylvando does it, it causes poison. Thanks Japan. I know DQ has a history of overexaggerating stereotypes/archetypes in its characters for humour, but you've gotta be careful with what is the root of the humour.

Again, credit to the localization team for overall doing a great job not portraying Sylvando this way. He's a pretty nuanced character for a DQ game, certainly, despite sprinkling in the words 'honey' and 'darlings' liberally.

And in light of this, I have to look at DQ11 from the other perspective. While certainly 'Not all gays act like *this*', I think it's REALLY important that flamboyant dudes get the positive representation from a respectable character like Sylvando. Masculine, conforming, 'straight-acting' gay men already in general do not face nearly as much stigmatization that more feminine gay men do. As someone who gets to enjoy this privilege, I can say that 'erasure' is indeed a problem, but a much less scary one than consistently being portrayed negatively.

I haven't finished the game yet, but at the very least, Dave certainly seems to be covering the 'masculine gay' stereotype and isn't considered a big joke either? So I'm not even sure that there's a lack of representation with regard to variety of gay characters either...

Re: Main Character
So... like... I dunno about you guys, but I've never once really connected with 'Silent Main' as 'me'. In fact, the more a character talks and I understand them, the more I tend to identify with them. So the most successful Silent Mains to me are the ones that clearly have some kind of actual personality, like Suikoden 5's Prince or Persona 4/5's mains.

So I find it kind of hilarious that DQ11's Main is apparently not just a Silent Main mechanically, but that's actually his personality. He's passive and exploited, just like I'd expect to happen to someone who functionally never speaks or makes decisions. I think this kind of portrayal actually strengthens DQ11's writing (for where I'm at so far) rather than makes it 'no fun'. I was never going to identify with him, so it's nice to see him getting reacted to somewhat realistically.

Re: Toriyama
So it's no secret I loathe Akira Toriyama's terrible people art and have for a very long time. Perhaps it's me getting used to being forced to stare at his art for so many years, but I actually... don't hate the art in DQ11. Like, actual hand-drawn stuff still looks pretty terrible, but the 3D rendering is really good and smoothes over the terrible angles and glued-on-eyeballs that Toriyama is famous for. I appreciate that there is a wide range of faces for the NPCs, too. It takes the best bits of Toriyama's style and basically applies a filter that lets the jankiness read as human. (However, the Bulma-faced twins still need some work fixing that glued-on-eyeball-look.)

Also, the Main Character's hair is fine. It's just Trunks' hair, but less bulbous, which is only an improvement. (It IS weird how it's rendered to be blowing in the wind in every cutscene, regardless of environment... it just makes it look like the tips of his hair are constantly jiggling unnaturally... Oh well, it's Toriyama, SOMETHING was bound to go wrong.)

Monster designs continue to be delightful, of course. I wish people would stop letting humans be drawn in Toriyama's style.

Re: Things I agree on:
Music is awful. Skill Trees are the best in the series. Pep Up/Tension + Dual/Triple/Quad Techs as a callback to Chrono Trigger are an interesting addition to the franchise.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: September 26, 2018, 06:06:56 PM »
Pink Dasher Copen (aka Azure Striker Gunvolt 2)
Finished Copen's path.  If I stopped here it'd be a pretty short game, although I suppose I've really only played a little less than half, since I'm clearly expected to do Gunvolt's path as well and then presumably unlock some final confrontation mission.  But it'll presumably be with a lot of identical stages.  (Also, a shame that Copen's hax gun in GV1 got stolen at the end of it.  It'd sure make GV2 more of a faceroll if he had it!)

Compared to Gunvolt 1, GV2 seems easier?  That or I actually know the system now and it's the exact same difficulty but I'm better.  I never died (except twice to bottomless pits I didn't realize was a pit) although I got sub-par J-Pop activated twice, which in GV1 would mean you were about to die, but I didn't think I was *that* close to dying here...  not sure if I really was going to die, or if they have more liberal activation criteria.  Anyway, I definitely never died to any boss - GV1 bosses weren't THAT bad, but if you facetanked their ultimate supermove you were generally dead, and some of those special attacks were non-trivial to learn how to avoid.  Avoiding GV2 bosses' ultimates felt easier, and only one of them had an ult that really hurt if you ate it.  Also, GV2 has the option to turn on a less-stupid scoring system than GV1 had.  Sure, you get to see "Gutless" as your score style, but I got consistent A's and S's on my mission rankings as a result. 

Also, for the PLOT.  Copen hates all Adepts and wants to hunt them down!  (Considering the plot of GV1 & GV2, this is less stupid than it sounds, as both of them involve adepts potentially enslaving the world or some such, working with evil cyberpunk megacorps, etc.).  Meanwhile, Magneto wants to gather all mutants to form some new Eden - er, all adepts - and keeps trying to kidnap Copen's sister for some inexplicable reason, almost like they want her in their group.  I will give you three guesses as to what is going on here.  (I guess maybe it'd be too dark if Copen was proved "right" that all Adepts need to die immediately.)

As a side comment considering the FE Echoes thoughts before, I suspect that Elf & Ciato might have some salty comments about how the females in this series definitely seem to trend to the demure / servile / kidnappable side, which is fine in moderation but worrying if it applies to too much of the cast.  Luckily there is at least one female boss who is by-the-books time to kill you now, but still, a few too many obsequious "anything for youuuu, main character!" types that Japanese shut-ins like to imagine having help them.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: September 27, 2018, 04:54:49 AM »
When I was about a third of the way through DQ11, my plan in reviewing the game was to say that the silent main doesn't work because of a kind of uncanny valley effect, where everyone else is voiced and the world is fleshed out, and the player is not using their imagination to fill in the details of anything, because there are no details to fill in.  It made it impossible to imagine that the main character was anything other than the mute fellow he appeared to be.  I thought, basically, that the director had made a mistake in sticking to the silent main bit but that the director was at least intending for the players to be able to imagine the main character as a bold hero.  But it's really worse than that because the game goes out of its way to remove any sense of agency from the main character whatsoever.  You're not playing as a doer of things and superimposing your own personality onto the way things get done.  You're playing as a person who is, explicitly, mute and passive.  And that just sucks.

Haven't played 11 yet, but this was how 7's character was handled. People around him (including party members) just assume he's the village idiot and treat him as such.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: October 02, 2018, 11:38:21 PM »
Marvel’s Spider-Man - so this is getting a lot of sugar talked around the place, so pulled the trigger on it after all.  The cops buying surveillance software off Oscorp is sketch for reasons it got a lot of talk about, but the rest of the game is all thumbs up so far.   About a third of the way through in one long sick day binge between feeling garbage.  I am playing it wrong because I go donlike all the side stuff as soon as I can, but it means I get to swing around a ton and that feels good.  Had one point of real friction during the intro to Kingpin bases where 6 waves of dudes felt really long but also simultaneously unable to meet the “get 10 finisher kills” bonus without nearly perfect play.   Then after I gave up on it I leveled up and got a second focus bar which is enormous (builds up as you get more hits without enemies hitting you, which fills up after the higher that combo meter is.  You use Focus to OHKO dudes or to heal).   That really opens up the combat system, then just generally more skill points helps.

The game feels fantastic in your hands.   It is great in motion and moment to moment is astoundingly fun.   It falls down a bit when you need to slow down in the free roaming bits thst aren’t setpiecws for you to do stealth stuff.   I had a mission that needed me to shoot air vents and I went about it wrong by climbing the building instead of swinging by doing strafe runs, but I was kinda committed at that point.   It worked it just was not the way the game is setup to handle.   In those set pieces it is spot on though.

The characters are all spot on so far, Peter is faithful but there is a thing I want to get back to.Mary Jane is straight up great so far, her as a journalist at the Bugle is straight fire.  JJJ as a reactionary shock jock after retiring from the Bugle is also quality and I love his rants that come through on his podcast feed.

Twitter analogue is pretty fun as well.

It is super polished and is a master work from the enormous team of people it took.

The timeline it takes place on is a bit weird, it isn’t bad, just weird.   It is set after Spidey has been around a while (side collection stuff references a 6 year old gym shirt, so 22-24ish).  Peter has fought most of the rogue’s gallery at this point, but they are clearly setting up Green Goblin and Doctor Octopus origin stories.  That doesn’t really mesh right with the rest of it all.  But I am also super happy it isn’t another Spider-Man origin story and Peter having two fathering figures around that will both turn nasty is solid.   Norman Osborn is kind of projecting a more sedate Willem Dafoe feeling Osborn, just in that he is a smiley slimey fuck.   Otto is great.   His VA is really doing a bang up job.   It isn’t like mind blowing but it all feels genuine.  The animation work on him is also a bit stand out.   His acting feels really good and someone got damn good use out of the massive prescription glasses they gave his model, it super focuses the eyes.

Anyway, I am glad we have the Peter/MJ relationship because it is one I really like in general, but also one with a strongly characterized Mary Jane goes far.   That said, what we do have repeating is the story of the breaking up, which repeats consistently in every retelling.  I am hoping that they can take this one further into discussing the complexity there rather than it being MJ needing him to be around more or Peter leaving so MJ is safer, but time will tell.  They seem to be thrusting towards MJ wanting to be able to help people in general and do it openly instead of behind a mask with her as an investigative journalist and with her talking about Peter’s work with Otto on prosthesis might help more than as Spidey.   They might go there, they might not.

With that said though, they broke up 6 months ago and apparently haven’t even spoken since and Peter is still carrying the torch. MJ seems to be as well (like she is pushing him into committing to asking her out isbtes did Just Friendsing), but it comes off way red flaggy than it is probably meant to.   Also it is incredibly frustrating how much the relationship completely shuts down because Peter doesn’t communicate, but that is clearly intentional.

Regardless MJ is fucking rad in this.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: October 04, 2018, 03:19:40 AM »
Azur Lane: I married a battleship.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: October 04, 2018, 05:54:06 PM »
Azur Lane: I married a battleship.

Why, CK why are you playing moe trash.
Another Eden is apologizing to the world and giving out 100 pulls, you can play that instead.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: October 05, 2018, 08:56:19 PM »
Why, CK why are you playing moe trash.

We had a lovely honeymoon in Cozumel.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: October 05, 2018, 09:09:45 PM »
What do you think is the most common cause for back pain among anime girls?

The huge jugs or the incredibly uncomfortable posing?

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: October 06, 2018, 03:05:42 AM »
You mean torsos don't rotate 90 degrees in real life?

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: October 06, 2018, 05:37:47 PM »
Only after a fracture
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: October 07, 2018, 08:11:41 AM »
I keep trying to post my thoughts on CS1 and CS2, but ATT and forums combine to repeatedly delete my fucking post, I don't give enough of a shit to do it in Word or whatever and C/P. It should be fucking stable enough to either not crash, or it shouldn't auto-refresh the fucking box in 2018 AD. I had like, 5 giant paragraphs talking about the game itself instead of the characters, and it's all gone. All gone forever.

Trails of Cold Steel 1 and Cold Steel 2 are both good games. CS1 is a 60 hour prologue and CS2 is the first game of a new series, and it is extremely good and fun. The villains' motivations make no goddamn sense. The last few fights of CS2 are horrible bullshit that undermine 50 hours of a very enjoyable battle system.

Rean is a good protagonist despite how easy he could be to make bad. He's not Estelle Bright, but that's asking a little much for anyone to follow.

Elliot fucking sucks and is a wanker. His two personality traits are that he's a pussy and he likes music. He is the only Trails character I actively dislike to date. (For all I gave Tita shit in TitS, my main objection was "she's a combat character! and she uses an orbal cannon she can't logically lift") Elliot is like having a Fire Emblem character in a Trails Game. In combat, right up until the last third or so of CS2 he's like, the best in-battle character in the game.

Gaius is also kind of Fire Emblem-y and one note. However, his one note makes him merely "boring" instead of "intolerable." Actually, Gauis' big flaw isn't even a flaw. He's just... too well-adjusted and self-actualized to be particularly interesting. The way to have made Gaius work better would have been to have him forced, like, just about everywhere. He's this solid rock you can lean on. Because of how CS' orbments are the opposite of logic and reason, he's got the best orbment despite being the worst mage.

Jusis is a dickhead, but he has some decent lines, and, honestly, he has some pretty good excuses for being a dickhead. He's the most generic in combat character there is, and is never either a good or a bad idea to take on your team, unless you somehow were to know in advance if enemies could be frozen, in which case he's very, very good.

Machias is an unlikeable shit for most of the first game, and his default Quartz in the first game is god-awful. Both of these are flipped entirely in game two, where he's probably the most consistently funny character (though he has a lot of competition for that), and Iron is suddenly ridiculously good. Machias is the only reason I managed to beat the main story. You can't actually damage Machias short of quadruple turning him. Granted, several of the late-game enemies actually can do this, since he's not very fast at all. FUN FACT: Every fight I had against Duvalie was won by Machias hitting her with his S-Craft. She's too focused on the wrong party member.

Laura is kind of boring in the first game, and also mean for no reason to one of the better/more likable characters. She gets over both of these things. Laura's actually cool and good. Sort of the opposite of Elliot in that her big flaw is not showing enough vulnerability, but then she actually starts to, and every time she does, it's endearing. You don't have to try so hard, Laura. We all know you're kind of a badass, so if like, the Golden Rakshasa and whatever the other guy's ostentatious title is are in the same room menacing you, just... go ahead and faint. You're allowed. In combat, Laura's... OK. She's not bad at any one thing, aside from speed (which is a really big thing, mind). Her Quartz is a terrible fit for her in the second half of the first game and the entirety of the second game. In game 1 I gave her Tauros and she just packed a huge whallop, and in game 2 I gave her Wing, and she was the multi-tool character that I used Jusis for in game 1. (....where I gave him Wing, which is just a really good Quartz)

Alisa is very nearly the second Trails character I don't really like, since she's kind of a spoiled rich girl, but she has this one facial expression (Rean also has it) where she just looks totally fucking bewildered and I cannot help but laugh every single time it pops up. Also a lot of what I don't like about Alisa is she seems forced on you as a Romantic interest, but you actually get to pick your romantic interest, and pretty much every option available (and notably one that isn't) is both a better fit and a more interesting character. In battle, she's very handy. She's a battery character like Machias, but a slightly better mage, and a significantly worse tank. She's a much better Battery though, since she gives CP instead of EP, and she gives a lot of it.

Emma is probably the least developed character in the cast, and that's honestly impressive given the cast includes Gaius and Elliot. She's kept a mystery for almost all of game 1 and then, as near as I can tell, in Game 2 they decided that making Celine a character with a ton of lines also made Emma more of a character, but it doesn't work that way. She gets upstaged by her own (annoying!) familiar, and suffers for it. Still, what exists isn't actually bad. I liked the way she sort of was hiding things in the first game, and I like what little character moments exist for her in the second, I just wish she was more her own thing instead of playing second fiddle to a non-entity. In battle, like Elliot, she's ridiculously good until she's very very suddenly not. Even then, her arts are just insane. In CS2 I gave Elliot Criminal and kept Emma with her default setup, and would use an Emma/Elliot overdrive against bosses, spamming Claimoh Solarion and Altair Cannon for six turns in a row for just massive damage. She's got a command revive that restores an absolute ton of HP and also gives a ton of CP, which is great.

Fie is my favorite member of the cast, and I feel that's probably true for the writers as well. She gets what feels like more characterization than most, She's up there with Machias and Millium for having the best lines, and her "climbing through ducts" song is adorable. We appear to share a neurological condition. In combat, she's the speed freak and also evade tank, and is the logical partner for Rean on the "make the enemies get zero turns forever" squad. She's great for most of the game, right up until she isn't, which is essentially the very end and "coincidentally" the same point Emma and Elliot become useless and Machias overtakes everyone but Rean for the mantle of "the best". (It's because her HP sucks)

Millium is Scrappy Doo in the first game, but in the second game, she's extremely likeable, legitimately very funny, and generally just a blast to have around. I'll say this here, since it comes up most with Millium, but you know what's ABSOLUTE bullshit? Reflect in CS2 is just rigged against you and it's not even trying to hide it. Millium reflects things at enemies, and it deals maybe, maybe a tenth of the damage the ability would have, sometimes considerably less than that. An enemy reflects YOUR skill? You're taking full fucking damage, maybe half if it's an S-craft (which will still murder you). That's a goddamn sin of game design. I get that she'd be way too good if Reflect were better, but either make reflect equally good (and not give it to Millium so freely!) or make it equally bad (because seriously, this is bull shit.) Game 1 did it about right, in that it made a huge difference, but it ended up being a huge difference in exactly one fight.

Instructor Sara feels almost like she was meant to be Schera from TitS and then they chose to go another direction, and we ended up with a damned good character (with much better VA). Like TitS2 version of Schera, Sara is somewhat above average at literally everything (and quite a bit above average at one or two things), and is therefor one of the best characters in the game for every portion of the game. I wanted to make a joke about her being the love child of Flik and someone, but shockingly, there's no immediate "red lightning" character that comes to mind.

Instructor Thomas rules, I accidentally read the NG+ spoilers about him, and he just rules even fucking harder.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: October 11, 2018, 04:29:13 AM »
Cold Steel 2 disappointed me because it played way more idealistically than it had any right to given the circumstances of the game.

Dragon Quest 8: Playing the DS version. The few thoughts I have point to this game not being as good as I remembered it being. The plot and characters are more developed than usual for a Dragon Quest game, but it's still centralized around a silent main more than it should have been. For example Guv/Yangus' relationship is dull instead of interesting. I don't recall the game's conversation system, but it isn't as comprehensive as DQ7's (where party members had comments on almost every NPC that varied as the plot progressed). Jessica in particular strikes me as having less character than I recalled, although I can't quite put my finger on why (the different VA maybe, or the conversation system giving her less interesting lines than her more sparse plot-based stuff).

Gameplaywise I've been playing without expending skill points. This hasn't been that much of an issue as the game is easy enough and the level-based skills are more than sufficient. The DS version lets you see what skills you learn at what skill point investments, but doesn't say what the skills do. It also doesn't let you re-spec. The other major gameplay changes are the alchemy pot being instant (yay!) and Red/Morrie joining (Red right after Cap'n Crow, Morrie whenever you beat the rank S monstrous pit). A few other things like Twin Dragon Lash being nerfed, which I guess makes sense since they gave it to Red too and that could have been kinda ridiculous.

Dhoulmagus 2 gave me a gameover after a particularly unlucky string of actions/turn order. I mis-remembered how very durable he was.

Jessica being behind in levels makes her look way worse than the stat topic implies for most of the game and meshes with my recollection. I notice that the stat topic doesn't give her any kind of level penalty either for her slower level-curve or her losing ~15K exp being out of the party and missing her own boss fight.

Empyrea was a really good fight. Her defense (~308?) means she outright nulls any attack stat below 154, which you won't even beat out by that much. The Fuddle status was a good screw-over to boot. She was slow for my team and perhaps I'd argue in general (since Agility rings are a duh and the Mercury Bandana and Rapier are also a duh and there is even 1 Meteorite Bracelet by this point). Good fight.

One thing about playing this after DQ7 is I keep trying to say "Time to use the Sands of Time" if I get caught in a bind and forgetting I don't have that.