Register

Author Topic: What Games are You Playing 2018?  (Read 35510 times)

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are You Playing 2018?
« Reply #400 on: August 10, 2018, 10:03:04 PM »
Shadows of Valentia is backwards-looking and misogynist and it exacerbates the pre-existing problems with Gaiden.

1. Every woman in Alm's path has to be rescued from captors (except Faye, who they added). What they also added was this weird scene where Mathilda, the supposedly super-cool knight who does basically nothing in the plot at all besides be the object of affection for multiple men, is posing in this titillated but also damselly way. Gross gross gross.

2. Faye herself is a joke character whose only personality trait is how much she loves Alm as a borderline stalker? It is a funny joke, I guess, but it is also a little weird.

3. Ultimately, the game is narratively framed around how the emotional/crazy girl main character is more or less superceded by the Very Cool and Awesome male lead. Alm is allowed to be cool throughout the game, whereas Celica is initially cool but ultimately is just allowed to be wrong and then also rescued. Great. Even the ending really downplays Celica's role in the story as this 'secondary' ruler who seems to accept being superceded by her husband, who is of course awesome and great.

4. Rinea is a character who literally exists to have a tragic death. What are her motives? Why does she like Berkut? Who knows, because the game doesn't bother giving her any personality at all and her death is just used to amp up a plot point. And of course, she stands by her man, even if he murdered her in cold blood. Great. This was ADDED to the game, as if it needed more retrograde misogyny.

I am aware that these are not problems that people really give a shit about, since of course narratives do indeed exist to objectively measure the coolness of men, but for me, this game has too much anti-women stuff to really give it a pass writing-wise. I'm not saying that the game is without positive points in its writing (Mae and Boey are both pretty fab, and I actually like Alm even if the plot surrounding him ultimately turns the direction that Tide outlines), but it is overshadowed by the cloud of decisions, both present and past, that perpetuate this shit.

(On a side note, I think it is so hilarious to see people who criticize Awakening and Fates for having women who show their breasts, as if they've never seen a set of breasts in their life, but don't care about things that actually piss on women.)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 10:06:19 PM by Luther Lansfeld »
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 10, 2018, 11:01:50 PM »
Yeah, I feel like there are moments where the writing in Echoes shines (most of the early game stuff! Character dialogues pre-C3 in general) but the end parts of the game, where it should be the strongest is just a complete trainwreck. And not the Tide approved kind. Consider things they could've changed:

1) Instead of having Jedah be a baby eating villain, they could've made him actually been like a true religious zealot. Why can't he just be a true believer of Duma or maybe even cite parts of Valentia history that they needed gods? Why does he always interject his speeches with "Mwahaha, I'll take your soul now"? As mentioned, with Celica, they could've made her been truly desperate. Sell us on this idea if you're going to make her react in a completely nonsensical way. If there is a good reason for the audience to believe the character motivations, then it's a little bit easier to swallow when they do something completely crazy. Maybe if she had other prophetic visions that came true or if there is some revelation where she sees that sacrificing herself is really the only way. Like say, what if she asks Halcyon and they expand the lore a bit more and confirms a person of a Brand is needed? As is, Celica comes off as basically emotionally fragile. She's really doing this *just* to protect Alm because she doesn't have faith in his ability to succeed. It's just...sloppy.

2) All the bad writing stuff occurs in part 4/5. And part 4 and part 5 has all the major character revelations and twists revealed. In short, it is all crammed in, within a very tight and small amount of time. The best analogy that comes to mind is Chrono Cross. Sure, the plot isn't as convoluted, but CC gets reamed around here for writing too because so much of it's crazy plot is revealed last minute. There's some of it rubbing off here because there's not enough time to digest the crazy. Like Snowfire alluded to, Alm basically killed all his living relatives within a short period - the writing surrounding his reaction is fine, but extremely brief. It comes off as horribly rushed like they didn't want to write about it or didn't know how to write about it. If there was more build up, I think it will be a little more acceptable. I don't think there's a way you can really save Rudolf though. Lambda has super powers and impatience and even then, people consider him crazy.

3) I didn't even get to the misogyny that Ciato has already touched upon, but did they really need to have like every other female character being held hostage? You could accomplish similar "rescue PC" type levels WITHOUT needing to make the person actually held hostage. Why not have the map with Mathilda have her, and a small pocket of obviously outmatched forces fending off some enemies or trying to assault the fortress? You get the same dynamic of needing to get to her position before she gets killed. Why have Clair being held up within Outpost? Why can't she just fly back in from a scouting mission or something after the level is done? Yeah, maybe the story wasn't written in modern times, but that seems to be a weak excuse to justify it. If you're going to remake the entire thing, maybe revamping the dialogue is something that they should be looking at too.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 11, 2018, 02:00:54 AM »
Octopath Traveller - Finished all of the Chapter 1’s and collected all of the jobs. I enjoyed all of the little mini-stories well enough. The game is very SaGa Frontier-esque in its storytelling style, except you do all of the paths instead of just one at a time. The storytelling feels a little more disjointed because of that, but on the other hand, the game is actually competently written. I’d say my initial feelings on the paths so far are Primrose > H’aanit > Alfyn > Cyrus > Ophilia > Therion > Tressa > Olberic ? We’ll see how that changes with time. I actually really like Tressa the character but I thought her chapter 1 was a little boring and silly. As for gameplay, I’m really loving having Ophilia forced because she is really really good, especially now that I class changed her to Scholar, which makes her magic damage really dumb. Otherwise I am rotating in between the other seven to make sure they are all caught up.

Everything about the game is pleasantly enjoyable, but nothing is amazing. Art, music, gameplay, writing, characters, all are ‘pretty good’ but not great.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 01:17:36 AM by Luther Lansfeld »

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 12, 2018, 05:22:15 AM »
Final Fantasy 12: Finished.  Good game, maybe 8/10?

Final levels were anywhere from 42-54. I leveled everyone evenly for the most part but towards the end I was just using Vaan (stealing) / Balthier (hitting things) / Penelo (healer).  So me being dumb and not reading the jobs through carefully, I put both White Mage and Red Mage on Penelo.  That means for 90% of the game all my healing was locked to one character.  So she was pretty much required for boss fights.  Other characters were:

Vaan: Mechanist/Time Mage. Stole things, shot things with gun or crossbow.
Balthier: Dagger class and Katana class. Hit things with daggers.
Basch: Monk/Uhlan. Hit some things, not as well as Balthier.
Ashe: Knight/Foebreaker. Was tanky, but needed some kind of agro skill to really tank.
Fran: Archer/Black Mage. Did magic damage, was great in about 25% of fights and weak in the others. Flare was good against endgame bosses though.

Story was decent, graphics were okay but you could tell it was a remake.  Gameplay was just generic FF ATB with a guise of autobattling thrown in.  Gambits were a good idea but really needed more qualifiers.  For example, I don't want to keep stealing from an enemy once I've gotten their item.  I eventually settled on enemy hp>90% = steal, enemy hp<90% = attack, but that wasn't perfect for all situations.

I loved that you could sequence break and wander all over the world and get in trouble.  If the enemies were too tough you could just run through an area and steal treasure.

Hunts were kind of fun but unfortunately almost all of them (and many regular bosses as well) fall into the same routine.  Okay this fight is tough but manageable, then the enemy gets below 80% hp and goes fricking nuts.  Gets a massive speed and damage boost and kills your party before you can revive.  This "trick" gets used so often it just becomes predictable.  I did about 3/4 of the hunts, then decided to just finish the game.

Other dumb things were random treasure chests and traps.  Oh so here's these traps and you can only see them with Libra.  Oh but Libra lasts an indeterminate amount of time and you can't refresh it until it disappears.  So it goes off and you don't notice and then you hit a trap.  Also going around a trap doesn't work very well because Penelo's fat ass triggers them.

Also while I'm complaining, what is the deal with Bazaar items?  You go through a dungeon, sell the monster drops, and get a reward that's like from two dungeons prior?  I'm sure there's faq-bait ways to abuse the Bazaar but just going through the game normally it's pretty useless.

So yeah good game, I'll play it again with a faq so I can see how many game systems I totally didn't use correctly.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 12, 2018, 04:06:43 PM »
Sub 5 time achieved in Wild ARMS 4, clocking in at 4:55:40. What a grind.

So immediate thoughts - this run was good. Like really good throughout. There were a couple of places where I had bad luck, but there was often some good luck that happened immediately after to make up for the difference. Overall, I pretty much didn't lose any time towards the end and most of the action bits were flawless except 1 jump in Forbidden Valley. This saved time of course but the major time saves all came from bosses:

- Around 90 seconds on Belial 2. In my previous PB, I got the 4D Pocket glitch and she removed Arnaud of all people. So this was a really awful fight in my PB
- Around 90 seconds again on Krakken. This isn't my best Krakken fight, but it was still great due to 2 Smart bombs hitting him immediately for 10k damage. Raquel was able to clean house pretty much so Jude/Yulie could poke it to death
- Around 50 seconds on Hauser. I got perfect Hauser 3 as opposed  to a bad Hauser 3 fight.

Also, this run was virtually void of encounters for most of it. The parts where I did get into encounters, I pretty much expected that there would be one and I didn't get cheated by any phantom encounters. So this was good on that front too.

If we're just talking about time saves still, there's a few immediate ones, now that I've had some sleep:
- Earthbound Dead - Arnaud died in this fight so in a better one, he  would be alive it.
- Jeremy 1 - both Jude and Yulie died really early. Raquel pretty much carried (like always for this fight). The time on this fight was decent due to Jeremy attacking Arnaud/Yulie, which meant  lots of extra FP for Raquel to work with. But the two deaths here cost me natural FP Advantage and Joint Struggle, which means...
- Miscreation - Could be faster if I had Joint Struggle
- Jeremy 2 - Faster if I didn't have to Card Yulie (but this is minimal)
- Scythe - Still had 2 dodges. But he didn't do his bullshit where he dodges 4 hits in a row or the last Raquel hit that would've killed him.
- Grabboid - I ate like 5 counters or something this run. That's probably an extra +16 seconds just from the counters and then 4 more needed to Revive Jude for a total of 20 seconds
- Guardian Chimera - He was smart and decided to go for the MT 2HKO right off the bat, so I had just Yulie and Raquel for the initial few turns. This slowed things down since I needed to Res and lost Jude's offense for a bit. On the plus side, I don't think I was that behind on FP since he hit everyone with the summons.
- SUPER  SOLIDER - lol Arnaud's Magic Blocker went off so I had to improvise the fight. I lost 20 seconds from this.
- Prototype Gear - No Crit from Raquel
- Farmel - Would've gained time if she went into Barrier immediately. But she instead did 2 Darkness, 1 Fortress beforehand.
- Reclaimer - His first move put EVERYONE but Yulie to sleep. Shit. But Arnaud woke up quickly and was able to Slow him. He got a second Slumber Fog that thankfully missed. Then attacked Raquel and ate a OHKO damage counter to the face. Overall 10 second loss from this BS. Could've been much worse!
- Erytheon - Double phys on Yulie (very rare) meant that I couldn't do the standard strategy and had to manually haul Raquel's ass to the the Water HEX. Probably another 10 second loss.

Won't be coming back to this for awhile, but yeah, pretty happy with this run! I may link it soon once its processed and uploaded.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: August 13, 2018, 01:56:38 PM »
Wow, congrats!
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #406 on: August 15, 2018, 09:27:02 PM »
Celeste- played through the main path.  Mine is a pie of sadness.

Well gee this in no way reflects feelings i’ve Had about life this month.
More when not phone probably.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 16, 2018, 11:13:10 AM »
Octopath Traveller - Finished all of the Chapter 2’s except for H’aanit’s, who I’ve already watched twice somehow, with both Grefter and Snowfire.

Thoughts on the different paths: Some mild spoilers!

Primrose - Obviously the best. Several of the characters explore around a central theme - Primrose’s is the value and legitimacy of spending your life obsessed with revenge. She is a broken individual who has trouble focusing on anything outside of her goal, and you see this reflected in her two chapters, particular her interactions with Arianna in C2. I think these chapters have some troubling and visceral images and ask the player to engage with their themes by showing them a snippet of the dark side of life. I like that the game takes a different take on prostitution than the traditional RPG, which mostly treats it as a joke. Thumbs up in general.

Cyrus - In some ways, Cyrus’s chapters come off as the opposite of Primrose’s. Instead, Cyrus’s chapters take on a “The Misadventures of Cyrus” feel and the game often mocks him. I think the game likes and respects Cyrus, but it also spends a lot of its time poking fun at his eccentricity and skewering academia. I really liked the massive intellectual gatekeeping that is mocked in Chapter 1, and I thought Odette was quite a refreshing character in Chapter 2 for Cyrus to bounce off. I found myself pretty satisfied with both of his chapters. They are obviously going for a bit of an annoying Sherlock Holmes thing with this character, and I think it works pretty well.

Alfyn - The wholesome journey of the boy learning what it means to be a healer. If Primrose’s chapters are dark as fuck and Cyrus’s chapters are lighthearted as fuck, Alfyn’s lie somewhere in the middle.  He is just legit a huge sweetheart and softie and ihe’s the kind of boy you’d bring home to your parents. His Chapter 1 is very necessary and palette cleansing between Primrose and Therion; I think if you started with those two back to back you’d think the game was dark as fuck, which it really isn’t. His Chapter 1 is fairly generic but I liked it; the Chapter 2 is about beating up Martin Shkreli which is pretty enjoyable. This game definitely seems to have some anti-capitalist threads running through it, which I’m sure helps Grefter enjoy it.

Therion - Therion is probably the closest to the game’s whipping boy. He is very talented at what he does - theft and in general crime - but the game doesn’t really respect him. He is stunted and bratty and it comes off in most of his interactions with other characters. i think his setup seemed quite lame since I had no idea how this guy’s going to be a party member in this group of do-gooders, but the setup at the end of Chapter 1 gives him a good reason to join the party and takes him down a peg to boot. I thought his Chapter 2 was also pleasantly enjoyable. Also, why does Therion's backstory best friend look so much like Dan from Xenogears?

Olberic - To steal words from Elfboy, he is the hero of a classic hero story where everyone is honorable and partakes in manly duels. The twist on the classic story, I guess, is that he is looking for a reason to life again, which I think is a pretty poignant theme for anyone who has had to pick thing up and start over (hello me circa 2014-2015). I don’t find that his chapters are that compelling, but I find Olberic himself likeable and you really want to root for him.

H’aanit - I enjoyed her Chapter 1 quite a bit; I liked the relationship building between her and her master, even if it has the very video game-y thing of portraying the characters as so much better than everyone else at their chosen profession that other people would just be in the way. Chapter 2 is a little less compelling and I’m not sure I am in love with the direction of the chapters.

Ophilia - Some similarities with H’aanit. I enjoyed her Chapter 1, but I thought her Chapter 2 was much less interesting. Someone in this thread (can’t remember who) pointed out that her story has some similarities with Primrose, but is kind of a light-side, wholesome version of it where she has a happy family instead of this massive revenge plot. Her C2 has some sweet moments and is obviously supposed to show you her love for kids, but it’s all a little corny.

Tressa - I love Tressa, but I don’t really like her chapters so far! She is great and energetic and enthused about life, but the weird anime tropes (the mysterious merchant in C1, her dorky anime rival in C2) made me roll my eyes. I still <3 her though.

I’m loving the introduction of the class system and I’ve been playing around with the different combinations and rotating between characters. I think Dancer / Cleric is an interesting combination, and getting more Merchant in my life for more money is really great.

The gameplay is… quite enjoyable, but the game does tend to be a little too easy on average so far. The bosses aren’t very damaging; I think they could have used to give them a little bit more bite, and most of the randoms are jokes. I have been playing through in a fairly normal way, I feel, without grinding for steals or anything like that. The system is quite fun and easily engaging, though. (It’s funny, because while I was searching for a Hard Mode online, that people were complaining about it being too hard. So I guess maybe I am wrong on this?)

Still really enjoying the art and music of the game and generally having a good time. I’m a little concerned with the repetition in the game, as well as the overall length, but I’m enjoying the ride so far.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 11:20:55 AM by Luther Lansfeld »

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #408 on: August 16, 2018, 02:53:42 PM »
8-Way Journey:
Just finished all the Chapter 2s myself.

Cyrus's was the biggest surprise for me. "The quest to keep academia in the hands of the people" making a sudden turn into "Also there is a demonic cult!" kinda came out of nowhere. Primrose continues to be the best. Alfyn's storyline was kinda lame to me, but both of his chapters skate by on pure raw adorableness. The same cannot be said for Tressa or Ophilia, sadly. Not bad, but not great. H'aanit seems like she'd be good, but I don't really like either of her chapters. (I DO like all of her party chats so far, though! Highly recommended to bring her along to everyone's quests!)

Olberic's ended up being a lot of fun for me. It really did feel like a big dumb wrestlemania event in the middle of this honorable manly quest for finding oneself.

Therion is the only one I'm kinda undecided on. His seems to be the one that most relies on whatever the actual plot events are leading up to. So I'm not sure whether his story and character will work until I see the payoff for whatever this quest of his leads up to. I picked Therion as my main character (I just liked his name), so he's always around, reminding me that I don't know how to feel about him yet.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 16, 2018, 04:25:38 PM »
Well, Cyrus's Chapter 1 ends with, "Well, I wonder what inconsiderate individual decided to take From the Far Reaches of Hell out of the library and not return it?" It could be Cyrus's quest to collect their library fine, but it seemed more likely that he was biting off more than he could chew with this plotline.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #410 on: August 17, 2018, 12:18:36 PM »
SaGa 3 DS: So a friend of mine here was playing this and recently beat it. I watched them play a bit of it and it got me to finally pick up this remake of one of the more unique games in my favorite 'pet' series. It's not particularly long, either, so that works out for me.

SaGa 3 DS is largely the same as FFL3, only like... good. It was so strange, playing a SaGa game that wasn't inherently broken. Sparking and weird race/class distinctions and opaque damage formulas are still around, so it feels like an honest-to-god SaGa game... But it also has this weird thing called "polish". The characters all talk and banter with eachother, have distinct personalities and more than 20 lines total in the entire game. It's so strange not having to go to an obscure website to decipher the weird lore and backstory and hell, the basic plot in some cases.

I won't say that the polish -ruins- it, but it certainly makes for a different experience. It felt more like I was playing Bravely Default than SaGa Frontier. I mean that in a good way.

Anyway, one awesome thing that they did that certainly needs to be recycled (apart from the cool job/race system, which has been reused in multiple SaGa games) is the Time Travel integration with the actual battle system.

I've played roughly 10 games in the last 2 years which had Time Travel as a major component of the game, but not a single one of them actually involved any kind of time travel effects in the actual combat system. SaGa 3 DS ties a couple of Limit Break-type party-wide abilities that involve turn order effects to its monster-catching and sidequest system in a pretty unique way.

Throughout battle, the party builds up "Time Points" (for lack of a better term) akin to a Limit gauge system. They can store up to 5 points. These points can be spent at any time during battle to instantly enact a couple of different effects (similar to Trails' S-Craft system breaking the usual turn-based flow). More powerful effects take more points, and eventually the party can even even spending Time Points they don't have, resulting in negative time points (feeling the Bravely influence?). However, these Time Points are also spent during sidequests - different choices the party can make during (the huuuuge number of) sidequests require different amounts of Time Points, to travel further backwards or forwards in time to fix whatever problems. Some options even require you to have Negative Time Points! Furthermore, the Time Points can also be used for a couple of Field Action abilities, like stopping time so that monster icons can't catch you, or that you can reach treasures hidden behind torrential waterfalls and such. If you stop monsters using time points, it also makes them incredibly susceptible to being caught and added to your menagerie on your Time Ship (which you can summon in battle and gets more powerful with more monsters piloting it! SaGa is weird, okay?)

Just a super interesting implementation of something that seems like it should have been in at least one of the many other time travel games I've played before. Radiant Historia's the only other one that has anything like it, really...

Worth the quick detour from 8PT and Zestiria! Recommended for anyone who likes Time Travel and SaGa weirdness, but also thinks "polish" and "SaGa" could coexistence.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 17, 2018, 04:58:33 PM »
Wow that doesn't sound remotely like the original game.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 17, 2018, 08:14:38 PM »
Wow that doesn't sound remotely like the original game.

Kawazu: Most games I made can be considered as incomplete beta.

He is not kidding and everything he made desperately need remakes.

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 18, 2018, 05:05:21 AM »
Zelda: Wind Waker  - Kingdom beneath the sea

Some time before entering the dungeon at the center of the sea.  I had gone back to Forest Haven for some blue potion for my bottle.  With only the bare minimum of 5 hearts, it's not going to add to my staying power much.  However, in this dungeon, it starts to sink in how forgiving the game is.  Items in pots respawn whenever the room resets.  This is far different from older outings where it took leaving the dungeon for pots to refill.  This dungeon sticks out for rising water puzzles (which involve quite a bit of waiting) and for having more than one upgrade.  Gasp, there's new equipment and a new song.

I get killed a few times trying to clear it.  Once at the midboss: ooh giant sword carrying enemy.  Try out Iron Knuckle tactics from Oot but mess up too often.  Was low on life after a few flubs and considered downing the potion after getting hit again but the next hit knocked me down to zero.  Next time, I try using the parry attack from the very beginning which I had been ignoring and it goes much more favorably.  Next death was at the boss.  Is that you Bongo Bongo?  I fell onto the electric floor and didn't work out how to get off before getting zapped to death.

There was one chest I didn't figure out how to obtain; it's the one with the symbol on the ground.  I suspected that using something while standing there was the trick but didn't work out what and assumed I would need to come back with something else.  Anyways, descent below the waves to ... somewhere apparently frozen in time.  Figure out what I need to do to unlock the next door though it takes a while to actually do.  Weapon upgrage, yay.  Everything ablove woke up; I'll just leave without fighting anything, bzzzt.  Aw, come on.  Grudgingly beat down all the enemies and head on out.  Before heading to the next plot progression location.  I do a bit of exploring, getting the next bomb upgrade, filling out more of the sea chart, and finally finding another heart piece to make a new heart container.  Finally.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #414 on: August 22, 2018, 04:54:46 PM »
Celeste- Alrighty, let's actually talk about this.

The basic structure is nice.  Stage gimmicks are generally a good plan, Madeline herself handles well, it's fairly generous, and as noted the game being open about some stuff being there to show off and there being no shame in death is a nice touch.  Mind, in the specifics I really don't like Stage 3 very much, and both it and its segment of Summit were annoying but eh, always gonna find one.

But everything cool about this game is in the rest. 

So on paper Celeste is about D E T E R M I N A T I O N, finding yourself, and depression.  And in that sense the way it handles death and continues is pretty amazing.  Not merely that, but the layout of each room is actually quite amazing at showing the player how to progress through it, because... you can do this!  Just try again!  It's hardly perfect at it, but it's done so well and so often it really stands out.
But y'know, mostly it's a platformer with plot and stuff.  And a main villain with an actual relationship with the heroine.  And it's weird.  Badeline is framed as a manifestation of Madeline's depression... to start.  Certainly she talks like that.  But once the rest of the cast gets word of her it's quickly suggested that's not really the case.  Sure, she's cynicism incarnate and is determined to get Madeline to give up the climb... but always phrased as concern.  And ultimately the solution is to embrace her, literally because video games.
(PS it was kinda too long but jesus fuck the 'boss fight' with Badeline is fantastic)

So an aspect of yourself that believes the worst, tries to get you to play it safe, and the key to defeating it is to acknowledge and embrace it... as a depression narrative it doesn't quite click I don't think?  I mean, one of the things I always found is that depression instead makes you prone to what I've recently seen termed Masochistic Epistemology- whatever hurts is true.  and one of the things they teach you to get past it is just the opposite- depression lies.  I mean you can make the argument if you want, but it doesn't seem like a clean analogy to me.
Now, an aspect of yourself that you run far from, that you're utterly convinced is just holding you back but actually is core to your being, something you'll never be able to grow and better yourself without embracing, and said embrace giving you goddamned superpowers?  Well shit, that IS a narrative I've seen before isn't it.
Although that one would also be a cleaner fit if you swapped Madeline and Badeline's personalities, a bitter cynic joylessly plugging away at life and being taunted by an optimist with a deep drive to help others refusing to give up on them.  Or that's me.

The other fun thing is how the game acknowledges and plays with Madeline's motivation.  Going along with previous, it's obvious that everything she's tried in life she's kinda fizzled out on, and nothing seems to fit.  So, for no actual reason, she tackles a deadly mountain climb.  Because either she'll figure it out, and have something real to hold onto... or it'll be done.  And aside from being a cute nod to the sorta games Madeline's gameplay draws from, seeing more games ask the question "so... what sort of person would actually do this thing" and letting the story flow from that is also something I can't not love.

I'm not entirely sure how to rate this exactly, maybe I'll figure it out come end of year.  But yeah, it's nice.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 22, 2018, 06:37:23 PM »
(PS it was kinda too long but jesus fuck the 'boss fight' with Badeline is fantastic)

Yes.

Regarding the depression narrative, depression is hardly monolithic, and Celeste presents one way of looking at it.  If it's not the right way, it's because there aren't enough narratives tackling depression, small sample size, etc.  It'll be the right way for someone.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 24, 2018, 02:23:17 AM »
  With that sort of ending, I interpret it as embracing one's dark side as a means of acknowledging that it's there.  We don't always control our thoughts and feelings but we do have a choice in how to respond to them.  I'm at the point where when dark thoughts pop up, my response is dismissive: "oh, it's you again."  Most of the time anyways.

Another way of phrasing things: the enemy you know is better than the one you don't.  Kind of grim but maybe more relatable way of looking at things for some.

Moving on, games stuff.

Metroid Prime

Well, the Gamecube was already plugged in because of Wind Waker and I got the urge to storm through this again to play with rapid fire missiles.  I replayed the game because of a glitch, how about that?  Not too many surprises since i'm already familiar with the game and this was a casual romp.  Did learn that the game's hint system directs the player to the first few energy tanks if one delays picking them up.  I was crazy and fought the incinerator drone with no tanks and Flaghra with one.  Somehow have gotten better since I won both first try despite having not touched the game in years.  Omega Pirate went south due to a Wave trooper that clung to the wall and I would have lost if I hadn't finished it off in two cycles (charged plasma is quite damaging).  Got more of a handle of the Meta Ridley mechanics, only was down 5 energy tanks.
  It's still a well crafted environment to move around in.  Got about 95% items, did look up a FAQ to find the rest.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 25, 2018, 01:16:46 AM »
Octopath Traveller - Finished all of the Chapter 3s! Overall, I am satisfied with the increase in complexity and difficulty with the bosses and am continuing to enjoy the gameplay and the job class finagling. Core gameplay continues to be solid, enjoyable, and has hooked me in more as I have played.

For classes… I feel like Dancer and Cleric are the best classes overall; multitarget healing is great and the Cleric final ability is really dumb (doublecast everything for three turns? yes please). Dancer just has the godly buffing game which amp your damage up so much, especially combined with said doublecast game. My feeling is that Warrior/Olberic is a little bit on the weak side on the other hand; only two types of damage and nothing spectacular to make the skillset interesting like H’aanit’s Leghold Trap. Shackle/Lower Armor is great, Leghold Trap is great, Alfyn’s general package is decent, but Olberic feels a little bit like the fighter caught in the middle.

On top of everything, Olberic’s unique in-dungeon ability is SUPER DEFEND, which is just a stupid niche. Summon is the best, as if Primrose and Ophilia needed the help, and obviously being able to steal in-dungeon means you don’t have to trek through dungeons again to get Therion’s special treasures (or you will just ignore them, like I do). I have been rotating between party members religiously, trying to always use the three lowest levelled people at the time for each of the quests.

I haven’t been doing any stealing in town that requires resetting or anything dumb like that, which keeps the general abusiveness under control. As time as gone on, money generation has become easier, lessening the need to fret about steals. I still do it, mind, but only if it’s easy.

On a job system note, I REALLY like the sprites that they made for each of the different jobs for each of the characters. Each of them has the flair of the original character mixed with the flavor of the job, which I love so much. I really want to go through and listen to the different battle quotes for the different characters using different abilities. Maybe if I had infinite time…

The plots continue to roll and generate interesting scenarios. Spoilers abound...

I did the paths in order of the level recommended, so I started with Alfyn’s. Alfyn’s path is a bit unusual in that it doesn’t have one coherent narrative but feels like a series of vignettes covering different parts of the complexity of be8ng a healer. This chapter focuses its aim on “What does it mean to be a healer? Are there some lives not worth saving?” Given our society’s resources and belief in the value of life, I think our own society has determined that all lives are worth saving, as evidenced by people in prison getting some degree of medical care. (Although the quality of life is obviously lower in prisons). In this setting, we have more medieval sensibilities and less capacity to incarcirate criminals, so the choice to treat or not treat a dangerous criminal is an open question. Ultimately, Alfyn decides that he might have made a mistake in saving a criminal’s life, but it is left an open question to whether he is correct or not. Chapter 4 awaits, I suppose. I guess that is what ties the chapters together rather than the plot itself: the exploration of a central theme about medicine. My biggest complaint about Alfyn’s chapters are more from a scientific perspective, where I wonder how the hell his medicines seem to work in minutes. If only that were true in real life…

Olberic’s Chapter 3 is also interesting in that it really leaves you with the question of who is right in this situation? On one hand, Erdhardt betrayed his country and killed his king, but he has a decent reason for it and seems to be an honorable enough fellow otherwise. So if this man is contributing to the overall good in the world, should he be killed for one action that was morally wrong? I think the game wants you to sympathize with him while also acknowledging that he might have made a mistake. This chapter really hammers home the theme that resonates in all of Olberic’s chapters about finding your place in the world after it was lost. It is an interesting theme, but sometimes I find some of Olberic’s stuff a little hamfisted.

Tressa’s path continues to disappoint with its cheesy Wild Arms-esque noble pirate characters (both Leon and Baltazar are rather dumb and hamfisted), and the whole plot of that story is how Leon learned to not love money so much. As was pointed out to me, the reason piracy is bad is not because of obsession with material goods (which is obviously not the greatest thing), but because it hurts people and makes their lives miserable. Leon is definitely one character I will 100% pass on. I think it’s interesting that they chose Tressa’s path to be their vehicle for a critique of capitalism, considering that Tressa is a merchant and the route paints this in a noble and overall positive light. It then proceeds to skewer the fuck out of venture capitalists and mocks your sleazy anime rival in Chapter 2, and then serves us up this condescending bullshit about not loving treasure and ‘What is your greatest treasure?” in Chapter 3. It is a shame that they squandered such a throughly enjoyable and adorable character on developing this stupid anime bishie and her dumb anime rival. Oh well. I still like her at least.

Therion is another path that holds some intrigue going into Chapter 4. He runs into his old friend, Darius, who turns out to be a huge fucking asshole. He is a lovely mixture of XG Dan (for whom he vaguely resembles) and Graham from LoD (aren’t you over me betraying you? it was so long ago!). He seems to be a bit of a scenery chewing villain who captivates your attention while on screen, but doesn’t have a well of character depth. He really jabs at Therion’s insecurity and self-hatred with his incisive comments about Therion. You get the impression that Darius was kind of like an older brother to Therion, whereas Darius just saw him as another person to take advantage of and dump. Fuck him.

Ophilia’s path is relatively quaint and dull until it decides to pull out the biggest plot twist of the game so far, which is that your sister Lianna has decided to work with a man called the Savior to revive her dad from the dead and drugged Ophilia in order to get what she wanted? Definitely puts a little twist in an otherwise pretty paint-by-numbers path, which it really needed. I legitimately did not see this coming, unlike some of the other plot twists in this chapter. Also, girl, haven’t you ever played Shadow Hearts? Reviving dead loved ones never ends well.

H’aanit’s quest is a little on the dull side, as always, with the honorable hunter looking for her lost master. Chapter 3’s a little bit better than 2 thanks to the bluntness that is Susanna, but this quest is definitely less engaging and has less clear conflict than the others.

Cyrus’s quest continues to be humorous but also creepy, with the return of our favorite foreshadowed villain, but a cute girl (who happened to report him for having an affair with one of his students) comes to save the day. The true Cyrus life. Cyrus continues to be hilariously clueless and generally an enjoyable character without much character depth.

Primrose’s path is the one I did last for recommended level reasons, but of course it was the one I was the most excited about because Primrose is generally amazing. Chapter 3 brings out back to her hometown, where you meet a gardener in her dad’s court and a former knight. Following the game’s general trajectory, one of them is evil and one of them is not, leaving you with this feeling that the game might just have a few too many plot twists in its Chapter 3s. But… I think the setup for Chapter 4 is interesting because the villain is very weird and unsettling in a way that none of the other villains are. I always have enjoyed myself a good villain who is creepily obsessed with one of the main characters, as it is a subject that deserves exploration, especially with a sexualized female protagonist. I am definitely excited about unravelling the mysteries of her path.

So as I sit here writing this post, I ask myself “Couldn’t each of these been a separate path, like SaGa Frontier, rather than getting bite-sized versions as you go along?”. I feel like the party building mechanics that they wanted were for a game that was pretty long, and I really like those, so I like the choice from a gameplay perspective, especially since they chose to have the eight as the only playable PCs in the game. I think narratively it might have worked better to make each path continuous, but that’s the style that they chose to go for, and I am willing to roll with it. It’s kind of fun for me to bounce around from person to person. Could they have just done, say, four people instead and developed them each a little more? Perhaps, but again, it’s not as if any of the two characters feel very similar, so I’m not sure I understand why I’d bother with such a thing. The game does its own thing and that’s cool.

One of the game’s accomplishments to me is that I actually like every single PC to some extent, which is impressive because I don’t consider myself to be someone who is innately generous in my assessment of characters, but the game manages to make them all endearing in different ways. Even Therion, who I had some initial doubts about, has managed to hook me in.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 01:21:50 AM by Luther Lansfeld »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 26, 2018, 06:31:34 PM »
Shadow Hearts 3 - Near the end. I'm digging this enough that I'm mucking around with optional content. I actually tried Ricardo's sidequest as soon as the final dungeon opened and woof, that was tough! I hadn't noticed before but the full-party sidequest bosses actually have better stats than Malice Killer/Gilbert, which suggests the game wants you to fight them then leave the final dungeon to do optional stuff. Which given what a challenge Lady can be to new players, maybe isn't too surprising.

Super Mario Odyssey - I dunno, it's kinda underwhelming? It feels like a big 3D treasure hunt for shinies (hope you like rotating the camera a lot), rather than emphasising any of Mario's usual penchant for stage design. I feel like it's trying to appeal to people who love open-world or Zelda-type games and I don't really care for that, although I'm sure it ensures high critic reviews.

The game is recognisably similar to other 3D Mario, for sure. I think it's fair to say that Galaxy is one possible evolution of Super Mario 64, and this is another. This just isn't the direction I would have chosen at all. Not a bad game but yeah, disappointing so far.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 26, 2018, 07:42:30 PM »
Octopath - Just beat Chapter 4 with Ophilia, who was my starting Traveller. A very interesting conclusion to her story. As someone whose father passed away relatively recently, I found Lianna’s internal conflict to hit home pretty hard. I joked in my previous post that Lianna should play some Shadow Hearts to learn why you shouldn’t revive people from the dead, but I get why she does what she does. She is grieving, she is taken advantage of, and she does something irrational. If you are interested in falling into a dark place…

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2017/03/06/as-feared-houston-cancer-quack-stanislaw-burzynski-mostly-slithers-away-from-justice-again/
https://theotherburzynskipatientgroup.wordpress.com/

This is an example of a real-world human being who does almost the same shit that is outlined in this chapter. He exploits vulnerable people, extorting hundreds of thousands of dollars from families who are desperate to save the lives of their loves ones. In desperation, these people make decisions that are not ‘rational’ (in the sense that they don’t work) but are presented as their loved ones’ only chance for survival. I’d argue that reviving your loved ones from the dead is the magic version of bullshit cancer therapy. In the context of both these testimonials of exploitation and my own father’s recent passing, I really thought this chapter did a good job with this theme. The cultist guy in this chapter has very good voice acting, but otherwise is somewhat paint-by-numbers for a cultist.

Boss fight was… interesting. It seemed pretty easy until about 75% in, where he uses an ability that blocks all multitarget attack magic and multitarget healing, which was most of my skillset. I relied pretty heavily on the MT healing throughout the game so having it ripped away from you made the fight really tough. However, I used a pretty silly strategy to win. Dancer’s final ability is an ability that makes all singletarget magic multitarget. I ended up casting it on Ophilia, and then casting her Reflect Magic ability and boosting it twice. So every single person in my party could reflect 3 spells. The boss uses a multitarget spell on the party and every single shot hits him for 2000 damage, followed by another singletarget spell. So the boss did 10k damage to himself in one turn, and I just used one more spell to finish him off.) I genuinely had a good laugh from that.

Ophilia’s ending was… very sweet. And now I can take her out of my party! Although I’m not sure if I want to because she is like 10 levels higher than everyone else and I am afraid of my inevitable death. Haha.

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: August 27, 2018, 04:17:49 AM »
Trails in the Sky SC:

OK, I'm gonna cover the negatives first, mostly because there aren't very many, and I want to make sure I remember them before I go all glurgy and weird over this game. My two biggest beefs with the game are that the Society, in general, are stupid villains. Their whole concept is bonkers, under-explained, and generally not great. A lot of what goes on in this game feels almost like it's completely no-selling the story and drama of the first game, and there's way too much "Nuh-UH" crap going on with these idiots just popping in, getting their butts whooped, saying they didn't really get their butts whooped, and then running off.
You have too many characters and not enough options to use them. This is kind of a mild complaint, given that part of why you WANT to use them is the characters tend to be cool and good. Especially in the last chapter where you have so many options, and can't really make proper use of them all. And then Zin goes and says "Naw, it'd be dumb to split up". Screw you, Zin. Give me my multi-parties.
Third drawback is the last 3-4 chapters feel completely different, on like, a conceptual level than the rest of the two games.

As for the good: uh.... everything else? Goddamn these games get you emotionally invested in seeing it out, and they're just overwhelmingly positive and full of good vibes and my heart grew three sizes that day and so on. This game went a giant step forward in rebalancing the characters, to the point where no one feels really bad, nor does any one person like Zin/Joshua in the first game stick out as obviously better than everyone else.

Estelle:
Let's remove any qualifiers that were left over after game one. Estelle Bright is the best JRPG lead of all time. Fuck you. Fight me. From the little details making her a bit more realistic than most depictions of characters her age, to the memetic Estelle Stare (....which she is aware of...) to a level of self-honesty that just is lacking in most protagonists in any media. Estelle Bright is a fantastic fucking character. The society wants to recruit her? Yeah, I buy that. This is a character that believably balances a huge, personal goal with her ongoing responsibilities. She very rightly evaluates her skills as "not enough" until you get to the end of the game and then rightly evaluates herself as "definitely more than enough". She has an unshakable, exceptional world-view, and the iron goddamn will to imprint that belief onto others. If the game, for some reason, let me, I would never remove Estelle from my party.
In battle, I again assume she sets the average, and assume she's supposed to be average, but given that she's the forced character, I gave her all the best stuff, so I think I'm probably skewing battle-power a bit high. That said, True Hurricane is objectively the correct way to start 90% of all fights in this game.

Analace:
Sure is a temp. Or is she? .....yeah, she's a temp.

Joshua:
Well, Joshua's characterization takes a firm nose-dive here, because that pitfall they avoided with him in game 1 is... uh... roughly the entire plot of the first half of game 2. So for most of the game (thankfully he's not in your party), Joshua is just a big, mopey doofus that god damn, I'm glad Estelle slapped sense into a few times. Once he uh... stops this... he's largely back to Joshua of game 1, only... not quite as good, because there's no time for a more light-hearted Joshua. Sorry, buddy. You were the ritual sacrifice to make everything/one else in this game really good. No hard feelings.
In combat, Joshua is more or less exactly the same as he was in the first game, only with better-than-average stats across the board. You'd think that this would keep him as game best, but... uh... everything got re-balanced, which is another giant positive for this game.

Agate:
Agate, in general, continues to be the goddamn man. At a couple of points in this game, he was even wrong about things, and also almost died from it at one point, which ought to be a big character negative, but once again, Trails' excellent writing comes to the rescue, and he just comes off fairly believably, and also, you can see for pretty much all of the early game where Estelle (...and yes, Tita)'s influence just generally makes him a better, more well-adjusted person. He's a lot more laid-back in this game, and is perfectly fine with giving Estelle a little bit of the reigns, and honestly, that's the mark of a decent teacher. Also, also? Agate's end-portrait states he's training the other Ravens to be Bracers. Good for them.
In combat, Agate takes a big jump from "Like Zin, only worse", to his own man. He's just, like, really strong, guys, and his one ability where he gives himself a full CP bar in exchange for his health is straight busted. I didn't abuse this nearly as much as I could have, but holy hell, Agate can basically just S-break any time he wants, and that's insanely good. I also got quite a bit of use out of Draguna edge being a long distance attack. (Same with Estelle's ...True Comet...? I just forgot to mention)

Scherazade:
Story wise, Schera seems even less interesting than she did in game one, which seems like it ought to be impossible. I'm not going to hold that too much against her, because I chose Agate as my partner for the first half of the game, and a lot of the little beats I liked for Agate were in those parts he was optional, so it seems pretty reasonable to assume Schera's characterization during those parts might be about as good. She also got the least interesting of the Society goons to be paired with, and honestly, EH to their whole story. In Schera's favor, however, when she was split with Analace, and Campenella blows up the dolls, her keeping cool while Analace melts down is an excellent story moment for both. Little details like this make me more confident that she's probably just fine, if you actually take her instead of Agate.
In combat, now, holy shit Schera took an upgrade in this game. Rather than being slightly below average at everything, she's suddenly slightly above average at everything, and also really above average at arts, which combine to make her really damn good. As far as crafts go, her one craft basically makes the rest of the team act immediately, and that is stupidly good. Schera has gone from bottom tier to someone I gave more than a moment's consideration as possibly the best in the game (and eventually placed as third, which is still pretty great in a cast this size).

Olivier:
Continues to be endlessly amusing, and just competent enough to not be campy on top of it. I liked the reveal and every distinct party member's reaction to it (particularly Agate's during, and Zin's after). I was miffed when he vanished before the first four fights with the enforcers, and that... that hurt me, man.
In combat..... Olivier is really weird. Early on, he's just as great as he was in the first game, but after he comes back, he's sort of nose-dived, and simply re-leveling him doesn't make up for it. By the time Olivier comes back, enemy defense has been re-balanced to where some of what made him exceptional in the first game and the first half of this game is negated. Sure, he can hit everything all the time, but can he actually damage it? Not really. Between being excellent at arts and early-game crafts though, he's just top of the heap while you have him, and then, ....god help me, I think he might be the worst character in the game (yes, I am counting Josette and Tita) when he comes back. That also hurts. Why do you hurt me, Olivier?

Tita:
I'll stick by what I said in the first game, in that Tita would be fine if she were a non-combat NPC like Dorothy. Despite disliking Tita on principle, like, her individual story beats are pretty good. I enjoyed everything with her and Agate. I enjoy her childish crush on Agate (so long as this is never reciprocated. Agate's what? 24 right now? Even if Tita is in her 20s in a later game, that'd be seriously fuckin' weird). I liked her being willing to stand in front of Loewe for Agate. It takes some balls to protect someone with nothing more than your body and your life and your hope that the guy isn't cold-blooded enough to cut a twelve year old in half to cut down someone else who is no longer a threat. It's still ridiculous and stupid that she has an Orbal Cannon.
In combat, Tita is quite a bit better in game one, just because her upgraded Vital Cannon is quite a lot of healing that runs off of renewable energy. It's nice to see the tech girl so environmentally friendly. It's still perfectly viable to give her a Death Orbment and use her multitarget physical to potentially deathblow chaff enemies. Some of her equips give her good defense, but her HP is still hot garbage.

Zin:
Zin... man. I'm irrationally mad at Zin being the guy that told me I wouldn't be able to split my party. Beyond that.... He's pretty much the same guy. Solid. Friendly. Kind of a goody-goody. Drinking buddies with Olivier. There's less "eye for the ladies" in this game than the first one, which, depending on point of view is either a positive (since this type can grate), or a negative (for taking away characterization). His interactions with Walter, while OK, mostly made me wish Kilika was a playable character. Maybe I like Chakram, OK?
Weirdly, while Zin is a much better duelist in this game (True Distend is stupidly good), he's probably gone down in use considerably given how much better various members of the cast have gotten (and the introduction of at least one newbie. Hi, Kevin). True Composure is a great skill that I got a lot of mileage out of, since most status-curing things cure a trivial amount of HP. True Distend, as said, is stupidly good, making his attacks do... ...not quite the damage you'd think, but more-or-less completely nullifying enemy physical damage. I'm vaguely curious how much Loewe could hit him for after using it. Loewe was smacking Agate and Joshua around for like, 4.5k damage a pop. I also wonder how much better I'd think Zin was if I'd given him an Action orbment. Like, a lot of my problem with him arises from being so goddamn slow, but as near as I can tell, speed is almost entirely determined by orbments and shoes (and one-or-two rare armors).

Kloe:
Still doesn't have much of a personality, really. Maybe even less of one than in the first game, which, again, is kind of impressive for the wrong reasons. Her interactions with Dunan were OK. It's nice to see her try to light a fire under her butt, but... man. It feels like they could have made her... Iunno. DO things. But any section I took her on, she was just sort of there. 90% of what she has to contribute to any conversation is a mild "Oh my!" ....................about partway thru the game, I decided that every time she said this, she was obviously and inappropriately turned on. Sexual Deviant Princess Kloe is much more interesting than what we got.
In battle, Kloe still shines, her S-craft remains insanely good (actually, it's way better, since it's like 15,000 healing and also a revive and it doesn't say on the tin, but it heals status, too.) Bird is still really good, but got nerfed, since it no longer does damage, too. Her arts are high, albeit sort of limited thanks to all the forced water (which largely doesn't benefit from a high stat). Nonetheless, she's one of the best characters in the game strictly because of her really amazing S craft. (....thinking on it, though, her having all the forced water kind of makes this whole thing redundant. She's already a great healer without it. She's basically forced into a box for her role. Imagine how good she'd be if she had more flexibility in her attack magic)

Kevin Graham:
Despite plot hints that he's a big deal, and despite knowing he's the protagonist of game 3, I still didn't see his last scene coming. Was badass as hell. Everything else Kevin does is pretty good. I could definitely see fans of the first game coming into this one and thinking of Kevin kind of as a Scrappy Doo character, and I can see being annoyed by his drawl. I like Kevin, though. I like that he seems to actually like Estelle, like, as a person. He starts out hitting on her, decides she's a lost cause because of how obviously in love she is with Joshua, decides to help, and makes a mental note to whoop Joshua's ass if he continues to be dumb. Kevin is a good friend. Kevin's VA is bad.
Kevin is probably the best character in the game. It was easy to manipulate what I thought was really bad STR into "quite decent" without making his oddly high defense suffer too badly. His ATS is really good. His actual crafts are disgustingly good. Kevin basically gives you a choice with his crafts, of either completely shutting down an enemy's offense, if you aim for his S-craft, or, if there's a lot of multi-target enemies or whatever, he can just give his CP to everyone else, and it's a trade that nets CP, assuming you hit at least two party members. This is somehow more broken than it sounds. I didn't use Kevin very much, but he completely locked down every major fight he was in.

Julia Schwarz:
JOIN ME EARLIER GOD DAMN YOU. I like Julia. She's fine. She had a random fight scene with Cassius for no reason. Her Temp abilities are not anywhere the same as her actual abilities when she joins. She looks like an anime version of a girl I have a crush on.
In battle..... Julia's disappointing. Her STR is a lot lower than it seems like it ought to be. Her crafts don't seem to be particularly useful, and.... well, that's kind of it, really. For as much as the first game hyped her, she needed to be something really special, and just wasn't.

Vander Mueller (....Mueller Vander? I swear it says both at one point):
Has a few fun moments, because he pairs with Olivier. Has a surprisingly intense fight with Joshua, which probably makes Joshua look better more than it makes him. I like that Olivier teases him about his immediate and obvious crush on Julia Schwarz, because of course this happened.
For super characters that join late, Vander actually feels more like what you'd expect. Nonetheless, he's... merely OK. His STR is notably higher than Schwarz's, but his individual crafts seem not so shit-hot. His Impede ability does zero damage and costs 40 CP, holy shit. I took all my swordsmen to fight Loewe, and didn't realize that was a point of no return, so Mueller was in my final party! He was just good enough to not lag behind the obviously better characters in battle. He was sadly kind of bland in regards to his interactions with Weissman and Loewe.

Josette Capua:
Join me earlier god damn you. Josette is fine. I like and feel bad for her. Her crush on Joshua is super-doomed from the start, and she and her brothers can't really hang with the rest of the cast and seemingly know it. She seems to exist to be heartbroken at every turn during the brief period you have her. Maybe she'll get some love in Game 3.
In battle, Josette made me furious by not having an S-craft, and then said S-craft not being very good once it's actually unlocked. (It needed to do a lot more damage. Or.... ...literally anything other than straight damage) Josette would be really valuable if you got her earlier, because Stampede is actually a good skill, albeit not as good as Bird. Her Anchor ability is a 100% faint on things that can be fainted, and holy shit, she'd be busted if you got access to her before essentially everything was immune to faint. God damn it.

Characterization ranks:

Estelle > (literally every JRPG Protagonist, fucking fight me)
Estelle >> Agate > Olivier >= Kevin > Josette >> Mueller > Tita >> Zin > Schera >> Joshua >> Kloe >= Julia

Battle ranks:
Kevin > Kloe > Schera > Agate >>> Olivier (early) > Joshua > Estelle > Zin > Mueller > Josette > Tita > Julia > Olivier (late)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2018, 03:32:49 AM by Veryslightlymad »

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: August 27, 2018, 01:50:20 PM »
Shadow Hearts 3 - I hadn't noticed before but the full-party sidequest bosses actually have better stats than Malice Killer/Gilbert, which suggests the game wants you to fight them then leave the final dungeon to do optional stuff. Which given what a challenge Lady can be to new players, maybe isn't too surprising.

Yep. It might not have been designed intentionally to let you kill Lady when you first get to the gate, but I love that aspect, similar to CT/FF5 as one of the best design choices. You can go and beat the Final if you really know what you're doing but it's really tough. Or you can do these sidequests that we recommend you to do and have more of a chance. A nice little bit of non-linearity to give you an idea of how badly outmatched you are (especially in a Speedrun where the party average for Lady is 35. Natural 4/3 on Johnny is p.great).
<@Claude> yahtzee

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: August 28, 2018, 04:42:39 AM »
Brown Dust - Korean tactical SRPG where battles are automated but decided entirely by how you place your units in a grid and their attack order. Heavily strategic in terms of team-building. Incredibly basic and generic plot, surprisingly fun characterization that would otherwise make for unremarkable storytelling. As I only have time for mobile games nowadays, this is a phone release. English language available but only open in Asia/Japan servers. Korean language is a separate client. One of the more "recent" mobile games (2017 in KR, 2018 in the rest of the world) where the player character is a Plot-Important NPC which I will give some props for. Decent music, lack of voice lines might turn people off (though the Korean client had voice lines in an update a couple of weeks ago), most importantly, game balance is playable and in a good state at the moment. Low rarity characters (henceforth referred to by their in-game term 'mercenaries' as the main character is a mercenary captain) are definitely usable, especially considering most of the story characters are of the lowest premium rarity (3*). Will be going through the plot important characters first.

Carlson (3*) - Knight-errant who tossed aside his dream of becoming a knight to join the side of his bro, the main character. Generic tank type, creates a barrier for himself which directly cuts incoming damage by a percentage after attacking. Upon awakening, he also gains a temporary immunity to DoT damage along with the barrier. Probably the worst of the plot-important PCs because his kit is so boring.

Rigenette (3*) - Ditzy, cute young girl who is skilled with a bow. Attacks the unit who is behind the front-most unit in her row. Inflicts Stun and a 2nd bonus hit of damage based off her own ATK. Upon awakening, adds mHP based poison damage which is tripled when afflicted on other Warriors. Incredibly useful budget Skip attacker; she can surprisingly hit hard with Assault runes due to her average ATK. Unfortunately she's limited by her below average HP and her lack of AoE.

Beatrice (3*) - Stubborn, out-spoken barbarian girl from the tribal nation. Wields a pole-axe and is designed to smash apart Defenders/tanks by dealing bonus damage to them with Iron Wall Strike. Dismantles tanks by herself but is otherwise unremarkable. However, she is the source of most of the fun banter in the story.

Maria (3*) - Snarky magician who also is the in-game Rune NPC. Makes a lot of funny comments and one-liners at the expense of others, MC included. One of the strongest magicians in the entire game despite being 3* due to her absurd AoE and her kit. As a magician, she requires 1 round of charge time before attacking. At +9 skill, her AoE extends from 1x3 to 1x4. Naturally dispels all buffs on the enemy and adds a bonus damage hit which scales based off her own ATK. Upon awakening, she adds a 20% stat debuff curse to enemies who are still alive after being nuked by a magic laser to the face. In an arena meta where people often front-load their attackers in a single line, Maria can destroy them easily.

Arines (3*) - Witty supporter who has an unknown god's blessing. One of the premier 3* supporters in the game and continues to be very popular up until today due to her 3x3 AoE and her incredibly potent buffs. Increases allies' ATK and Crit Rate, while also giving them a moderate barrier. Upon awakening she will also cleanse stat debuffs. It is absolutely worth to +9 her.

Eunice (3*) - Alchemist in the empire's marketplace, well-known for her concoctions. She has some connections with the black market. Provides decent healing and applies a regeneration effect to 3x3 AoE at +9, while buffing ATK.

Refithea (5*, requires 1500 Ancient Coins to buy) - Fairy princess and last surviving member of her family. One of the Six Devils who worked with the main character's father to rebel against his empire's ruler because he had made a pact with an evil god. She only agreed to work with him because the main character's dad had betrothed her to him. The main character is clearly uncomfortable with the idea of being made to marry a 200 year old loli and deliberately puts it off. Hard to use supporter but when used correctly can heavily buff your attackers.

Nartas (5*, requires 1500 Ancient Coins to buy) - A magician who is cursed with eternal youth due to an experiment with dark magic gone wrong. One of the Six Devils who worked with the main character's father. Is also probably over a hundred years old. Is wise and seems to know what he is doing. His magic attack will hit an entire row unless it is blocked by Cecilia, who absorbs AoE effects. Cleanses buffs on still-living targets and prevents them from temporarily receiving new ones. Afterwards, he gains high defense to protect himself temporarily. Upon awakening he gains permanent debuff immunity!

Celia (5*, can only be made through mercenary fusion) - Outcast who was said to be the descendant of a cursed witch, so she hid herself away. The main character's dad convinced her to join him to 'save the world' and became one of the Six Devils. Currently possesses the largest AoE spell in the game, a whopping 5x5 square, allowing her to cover a large area of the enemy side. Unfortunately marred by requiring players to bleed a lot in order to fuse her, she is not a viable option for F2P players. Otherwise, when used correctly, she can be a devastating force.

Astrid (5*, can only be made through mercenary fusion) - The guardian knight of the current ruler of the Karian Empire, Iserna, who rose to the throne after her brother Adel died and her father Altair II, the emperor who the main character's own dad rebelled against, also was killed. Clearly tsundere. One of the most potent tanks in the game, and is definitely worth making. Upon awakening she gets DoT immunity allowing her to tank more effectively, since Bleed deals triple damage to defenders. Her taunt is potent and at +3 she begins to counter enemy damage based off the attacker's ATK.

Elija (5*) - Crown princess of the Allan Alliance, the tribal nation where Beatrice comes from. Despite her righteous bearing and good personality, she actually isn't very good in the game. Her concentrated fire is too awkward and is only useful against one World Boss.

Vermont (5*) - President of the Mercenary Contest Committee which hosts friendly combats between mercenary companies. During the rule of Altair II, he and the main character's father were two of the most loyal and best knights in the entire Karian Empire. Originally sentenced to death for failing to stop the dad from succeeding in rebellion, he was instead exiled due to public pleas to reduce the sentence. His goal in establishing the committee is to use mercenaries as a deterrent towards new rebellions and other chaotic activities. Currently weaksauce and unusable in Asia/Japan, but gets an incredible buff in Korea that makes him pretty powerful when used correctly, since he requires to be hit for gain power. His grand-daughter is a 4* unit named Alche.

Foxy (5*) - President of the Guild Association. She used to run a mercenary company of her own before the day the MC's dad killed Altair II, but after the fact, she became more famous. She established the Guild Association under the same logic as worker's unions. Currently mediocre in Asia/Japan, but gets solid buffs in Korea  that makes her quite scary to face in PvP.

Lorang (5*, only available through mercenary fusion) - A rival mercenary captain to the MC who looks suspiciously like Kirito from SAO. He has a raging crush on Maria since studying magic with her before and wants to marry her, even though it is clear the feelings aren't reciprocated. He believes he's a talented genius even though all of his accomplishments are from his hard work rather than raw talent. He came from a rich family and didn't have to work if he didn't want to, but chose to do so in order to make a name for himself. He's not that good in-game though. He has a good AoE but only hits the front-most unit, furthermore he needs charge time to inflict his ailments.

Yuria (4*) - The princess of her country, the Republic of Sbern, due to being the daughter of its head. She carries herself like a secretary and indeed works as one at its Command Center, she shares her father's beliefs of equality and the non-existence of social classes. She has a very unique kit, stunning and dispelling buffs from enemies hiding in the backline. As a Defender, she has reasonably good defensive stats, but is often used more as a stunner and a bruiser. Incredibly solid at higher skill levels. She gains DoT immunity after attack on awakening, increasing her resiliency as Bleed is one of her bigger weaknesses

Alche (4*) - Grand-daughter of Vermont who was born with superhuman strength. Vermont taught her basic skills in swordsmanship as a way for her to control her strength, but Alche fell in love with knightly tales of honor and chivalry and looked to become a young lady of the justice. Though timid and childish before her grandfather, she becomes ruthless towards anyone else. With her massive steel hammer, Alche will rip apart defenders with her insane Iron Wall Strike, also destroying their barriers and counter-attack effects. In a Defender oriented pvp meta, Alche is one of the PvP rulers.

Lucrezia (4*) - A succubus who wants to resurrect a demon king who shares the same name as the MC's dad, Fabian. No one knows if Demon King Fabian is at all related to the MC's dad, only that It Is A Bad Thing. Not at all memorable in game aside from being used as merc fusion fodder.

Non-plot important characters I've been using -

Cordelia (3*) - An aspirant knight who, through sheer force of will and lots of training, won a competition and obtained the Flame Lotus Sword. She seeks to temper herself through combat and become a powerful fighter. One of the premier 3* attackers due to her 1x3 attack AoE and ability to inflict bonus damage and Burn on the enemy. Upon awakening she will also place a weak barrier on herself to make up for her lack of defense.

Mercedes (3*) - No backstory. Mercedes is unique for being one of only low-rarity taunt tanks in the game. Her taunt allows her to attract damage to herself so she can counter with ferocious 85% enemy ATK counters. Unfortunately her taunt, which is only obtained through awakening and thus can't be boosted, has a shorter duration than one would like. When used well, Mercedes is a terrifying force especially when you lack taunters like Astrid and Glacia.

Julie (3*) - No backstory. Incredibly useful Supporter who cleanses attack interference effects on allies while healing them. Attack interference effects include debuffs such as Charm, Silence, Stun and the like, making her a very good niche pick in PvP.

Edan (3*) - No backstory. Useful supporter who cleanses DoT effects on allies while granting them immunity to DoTs. He also provides massive healing. His only weakness is that his target AoE is in an X, making targets vulnerable to ferocious attacks like Octavia, Alche, Verona, and others.

Deka (4*) - No backstory. Warrior who deals solid damage while stunning them. Upon awakening, he gains an ability that lets him deal even more damage when low on health. Even better, he skips the front-most enemy and attacks in a + AoE.

Rafina (5*) - A mechanic girl who had fantasies of integrating ancient tech with herself, so she made a mecha suit. She attacks in the same AoE as Deka, but has the benefit of having tanky stats while also dealing insane damage with her Power Armor ability. Also, she breaks barriers. She is, quite frankly, one of the most broken units right now. She is set to receive nerfs in Korea.

Hell (4*) - A sultry looking magician who works in the underworld. Has PERM Masochism upon awakening, allowing her to heal 18% of her max HP every time she gets hit. After casting a spell, she uses herself as bait to force enemies to attack her so she can counter with her ridiculous base ATK and at the same time receive minimal damage due to her high barrier. Build her as a tank and you can't go wrong.

Zenon (4*) - A vampire count who wanted to court a succubus (Elize) who is deeply in love with the main character. Like Hell, he has PERM Masochism except it heals 24% of his max HP. He is a warrior too, who will bloodsuck enemies as life steal. At +3, he gains Weakening Counter which debuffs enemies who hit him by a bit. Currently a popular pick in arena due to the players lack of ways to DPS him, but will fall off as the Asia server life goes on. Still a very solid PvE merc.

Elize (5*) - A succubus who is deeply in love with the main character after reading too many romance novels about succubi finding true love. She has never seduced a man before. Her spell will charm enemies in a 3x3 radius, making her rather annoying to face, but is otherwise unremarkable.

Ventana (5*) - A former knight who quit her post due to wanting to avoid politics and intrigue. By chance, she acquired a holy sword and has been using it for herself. She is wanted by the group who actually owns the sword. Destroys focused enemies and enemies who uses taunts. Upon awakening, she increases her defense by an absurd amount before attacking, allowing her to heavily mitigate counter attack damage. One of the strongest physical attackers currently in the game.

Dalvi (5*) - A nine-tailed fox who doesn't like people seeing her true form. Her transformation is a gimmick in the battle - when she is in fox form, she becomes immune to debuffs, and when she attacks, she does a bonus attack which is totally ITD, making her ideal for killing tanks. When she is in human form, she heals a portion of her HP every turn tick. Though tricky to use, she can be strategically utilized to immediately take out annoying tanks.

Glacia (5*) - A noble of Sbern, she was bored and found a demigod's relic by serendipity, a magic ice shield, which called out to her. She now uses it to protect her territory and loved ones. A very powerful CC tank, she freezes anyone who hits her. Her Ice Barrier had been buffed as of late and added a plethora of defensive bonuses to her. Upon awakening she gains immunity to attack interference effects meaning she can't be frozen herself. At +3 she gains taunt, forcing enemies to freeze themselves. Her above average ATK and 25% crit rate make her physical damage deceptively scary.

Viola (4*) - A purveyor of justice who became a vigilante, but due to her cruel methods and circumstances of her birth, she was also ostracized and seen as a monster. She retreated to the underworld due to this treatment where she continues to be a fighter for good despite her edgy and black-cloaked appearance. At +9, Viola will hit the entire back column no matter where she stands. She applies Decomposition on her attack, which is a fierce mHP-based poison that can also crit. At the same time, she can also silence and curse enemies while preventing them from enjoying buffs. One of the best debuffers in the game.

Eunrang (4*) - A ninja-like assassin who got her name due to the dagger she uses. Ferociously attacks enemies in the back with crits, silencing them after awakening. At +3, her AGI stat will factor into her final crit rate, making her one of the strongest back attackers in the game.

Wiggle (3*) - A skeleton who doesn't know anything about itself or its past, only that it gotta blow up! A suicide bomber who deals massive damage at the cost of its own life. Has game-best ATK out of everyone in the entire game.

Octavia (4*) - A banshee who just wishes to be loved and cherished due to heavy neglect. She rides a heart-filled bomb that blows up and charms enemies who happen to still be alive after the blast.

Chalkle (4*) - A skeleton who doesn't know anything about its past, and often laments this fact. However, it hates the lull before the storm of it raining fire and brimstone towards its targets. Is a magician and counters enemies who attack it before it attacks by blowing up in the attacker's face. If it manages to explode on the next turn, it inflicts a powerful burning DoT on them. Additionally, at +3, it gains a lasting crit rate boosting effect which allows it to build up high crit rate before blowing up.

...too many mercs to write about. will stop it here for now and see if people are interested in more ramblings
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: August 29, 2018, 05:35:34 AM »
Boss fight was… interesting. It seemed pretty easy until about 75% in, where he uses an ability that blocks all multitarget attack magic and multitarget healing, which was most of my skillset. I relied pretty heavily on the MT healing throughout the game so having it ripped away from you made the fight really tough. However, I used a pretty silly strategy to win. Dancer’s final ability is an ability that makes all singletarget magic multitarget. I ended up casting it on Ophilia, and then casting her Reflect Magic ability and boosting it twice. So every single person in my party could reflect 3 spells. The boss uses a multitarget spell on the party and every single shot hits him for 2000 damage, followed by another singletarget spell. So the boss did 10k damage to himself in one turn, and I just used one more spell to finish him off.) I genuinely had a good laugh from that.

Congratulation! You have discovered the way to exploit a good number of bosses in this game. Including the Archmagus and the Star Seer,  if you want the optional job early.

Trails in the Sky SC:

OK, I'm gonna cover the negatives first, mostly because there aren't very many, and I want to make sure I remember them before I go all glurgy and weird over this game. My two biggest beefs with the game are that the Society, in general, are stupid villains. Their whole concept is bonkers, under-explained, and generally not great. A lot of what goes on in this game feels almost like it's completely no-selling the story and drama of the first game, and there's way too much "Nuh-UH" crap going on with these idiots just popping in, getting their butts whooped, saying they didn't really get their butts whooped, and then running off.

Congratulation! You have found out what is going to go wrong with Trails series plot eventually!
Because out side the Oroburous, you get another bad guy that's just like it! So it is twice the pain! With the good parts slowly fade away as the writing gets increasingly light novel like!
Oh and you won't get any explanation on what they are doing for the next 5 games, but force to clean up their mess in every game without knowing why everything is happening! (With the goods guys twho knows about their plans too busy being "I am so mysterious and will not tell you anything" and just sit and let the bad guys do whatever they want.)
Grand Master, can you finally bless me with the truth of Project Phantasmal Flame next month in Cold Steel 4? Or will Falcom explains nothing to us again!?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 05:43:57 AM by Niu »

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: August 29, 2018, 06:58:34 AM »
Octopath - Chapter 4s complete. Hooray, hooray!

I already said my peace about Ophilia’s so I will just tackle the rest in the order I did them.

Olberic - I feel like several of the Chapter 4 opponents are thematic opponents of their respective characters, starting with Olberic. His villain is Werner, a mercenary who has become the despot of an isolated village. Whoever made this game is definitely riffing on Stalin, even more strongly than Cid from Type-0 who just likes his Soviet cities. Werner has a pyre in which he burns four people per month on.  He starts with the villains and evil-doers, but as time goes on, his wrath is turned to petty criminals, followed by people who think/circulate bad thoughts about the Dear Leader. Olberic, of course, stands in opposition to him as a lover of freedom and a man who has dedicated his life to justice and honor, and he joins viva la revolution and helps overthrow this asshole. Werner has a lot of stage presence and brings up points that make sense in the head of a sociopath. He has one line about how he “puts different value on nations and men” than Olberic. Boss fight is pretty good but I win on the first try. He has a move called OPPRESSION which is amusing. Erhardt shows up in this chapter again to be a good guy, which is interesting. I think him being a genuinely nice guy who is actually pretty refreshing.

Alfyn - As a huge contrast to the last two paths, Alfyn’s quest is decidedly unepic. Alfyn encounters Ogen, who is kind of his own thematic opponent, but isn’t really an opponent in the same way. They just have philosophical differences on the nature of being a medic and if you should decide who lives or dies or not. Ultimately you save his life, he decides to stop being emo (at least somewhat), and all is good. Alfyn’s quest is very sweet and wholesome and doesn’t involve any Satan worshippers. The worst person is Martin Shkreli in the game’s typical skewering of capitalism. Final boss is a bird and it’s pretty challenging but not too bad.

Therion - Therion’s quest is mostly a continuation of the previous two chapters. Therion learns to love people again, and his opponent is his former friend who is a misanthrope who wants to be on the very top, stabbing everyone in the back. Therion reluctantly learns to trust people again as he goes along his journey and it’s kind of cute. Not too much to say about this path, Darius is beaten and Therion leaves him alive, but he is ganged up on his followers who he didn’t treat very well and ultimately stab him in the back, serving classic thematic justice. Cordelia and Heathcote see him off, and he starts to actually trust them. D’aw.

Cyrus - Cyrus’s path is pretty plot light but has the closest tie to what is presumably the endgame plot. Cyrus’s thematic rival is this woman who wants to have all of the knowledge in the world, but has no interest in sharing it because other people are too simple/stupid to make use of it. Cyrus, being a teacher, thinks that students and people of the world such all be lifelong learners and all that other stuff they teach us in teacher school ;). They have a long conversations because it’s between two nerds, and then they face off! After the battle is over, his goes through her library of stolen books and ends up finding stuff hinting at the true final dungeon. I definitely get the sense that the person who wrote Cyrus’s path spent too much time in the academy.

Primrose - Primrose’s path certainly knows how to pick dark as fuck and horrible human being villains, that’s for sure. Simeon is the most fucked up ejaculating to people’s pain creepy motherfucker on earth, wow. He puts on a play about Primrose’s tragic life as she visits him to murder him, and the play goes on during the pre-boss fight sequence. He tells her that he is only truly happy when he sees the dark hate seething in her eyes, while in the play the character who plays Primrose hugs the character who plays Simeon and they fall in love. It actually reminds me of some sick fantasy of some MRA/incel that you might read on We Hunted the Mammoth (I read a story which is a less extreme version of that on that site, about a guy who got a boner because a girl was scared of him at the park). We get some interesting parallels with Erdhardt in this chapter, with Primrose not feeling particularly fulfilled with all of the slaughtering she did to finish off these assholes. Unlike the other paths, this one is not as directly thematic, but I felt like Simeon encapsulates a type of man that exists in this world and of course Primrose’s path is about crushing different types of horrible, exploitative men.

Tressa - Sadly her path continues to be the one that is saddled with the strangest storylines. This time we go to the Merchant’s Fair and reunite with Ali, who is trying to sell people stuff of questionable value for a lot of money. The game ultimately tries to make him sympathetic by saying he ‘sells people things that make them happy’, but I think we all know that many salespeople sell you things that you think will make you happy but won’t, so I find this angle a little strange. Anyway, you meet a sheltered noble girl named Noa who can’t adventure but thinks Tressa is cool. That’s cute, but then you have the totally bizarre sequence where someone steals your diary, Ali distracts one of the people by talking about watches to them (????) and the other one is tracked down and she tries to kill you for some unexplained, bizarre reason. Her ending has this very corny bit with Noa where Tressa tells her about all of the fun she had on her adventure and gives Noa the diary. I think Ali’s in it too but I already forgot.

H’aanit - Straightforward and to the point. H’aanit herself is a badass who can sometimes be a source of amusement. I like her relationship with Z’aanta once he comes. They have this very sweet and complex master/student relationship, rather than just a one-sided one like many of them in games. I like that he has flaws and they are kind of played for laughs. It makes that character much more refreshing. Also, Primrose is clearly crushing on her hard, if the ‘Travel Banter’ is any indication. Also, Redeye definitely earns his rep as scary plot monster. He whooped my ass a couple of times before I came in with a better strategy. And that’s having fought him after all of the other bosses.

I also unlocked the final dungeon. That has to be the weirdest, most wtf-worthy way to access a final dungeon since.. okay, most Castlevania final unlocks. it is a couple of seemingly unrelated side quests that you need to do in order to access the endgame content? I guess most people who are completionist will have done them, but good grief is that one of the silliest things I’ve ever seen. Anyway, now I plan to pick up the last four jobs and play around with those a bit before adventuring into the great unknown.

I think the game has definitely picked up since Chapter 2, which is a relative weak point. I feel like a lot of the Chapter 2s are dedicated to showing the characters at work before they add in some more complex scenarios in 3/4. The bosses are also more diverse and interesting as you move through the game. Probably my biggest complaint about the game (besides its final dungeon unlock lolol) is that there aren’t that many outstanding characters for it to hang its hat on. I really like Primrose, of course, but I feel like most of the rest of the cast tops out at pretty decent. I probably like Cyrus the best of the remaining PCs because he is such a loveable dork. Its gameplay definitely takes a bit to get rolling, but I feel like I’ve hit a relative groove now. The travel banter is sometimes interesting but not often wonderful, but some of them have stuck with me pretty well.

Some class analysis/notes if anyone is interested (not including the endgame ones):

Cleric - Holy shit their Divine Skill is amazing. It is the ability to use any ability that you use twice instead of once. Double damage/buffs are both really niiice. Otherwise, Heal More/Luminescence are both very solid moves that make that class an excellent choice for any party. Reflect can be abusive combined with Dancer’s divine skill, as I witnessed against Ophilia’s final. Heal HP above max… I should try that skill out at some point. Cleric is the only one with Holy magic.

Warrior - Fairly underwhelming. Level Slash is cool for hitting Sword weakness but only hits each enemy once, which is only okay. Thousand Spears with its min 3 hits can be nice for Lance weakness vs. bosses, but I wouldn’t use it vs. randoms. Abide is useful especially in duels. His divine skill is interesting. It hits really hard and put his ‘breaking the damage cap’ ability to good use. Only hitting two weaknesses is a bit of a bummer.

Hunter - Arrowstorm is MT 3+ hit bow damage is excellent for clearing bow-weak randoms and is invaluable against many bosses. Leghold Trap moves the enemies next two turns to the end and is therefore amazing (although doesn’t work on post-break, which would just be too abusive). The rest of Hunter’s skillset I could take or leave, but those two abilities make it really good. The divine skill seems a little underwhelming, although it is okay. I just got used to Thief’s which is way better. The extra lightning weakness hitting can be periodically useful in the earlygame. Second Serving (use attack action again 50% of the time) and Patience (25% chance of getting an extra turn at the end of the round) are both sweet.

Merchant - Mostly has Collect to make you rich, the divine skill to make you richer, and donate BP to make your friends kill things better. Merchant is also the only class that hits wind weakness, which can be useful. Hits three weaknesses. Abilities mostly exist to accumulate more funds. (Funds are definitely an issue for a while soooo)

Scholar - Damage output with the various buffing games is pretty great. They are all MT damage all of the time. Hits four weaknesses, which is a good place to be. Divine skill is quite underwhelming compared to just blasting things with Scholar, to be honest.

Apothecary - Axe-focused class that has both strong ST and MT axe damage, but only hits ice weakness otherwise. The class’s healing/revival/status healing and protection skills are nice but ST, although using the status protection move boosted while MT because of Dancer’s final is very very dumb and makes status whoring bosses a joke. Apoc’s divine skill makes items MT for three turns, which is… pretty good but not fabulous?

Thief - Lots of good stuff in this toolkit. Stealing is decent in this game (you can see the odds, woo hoo!), the Thief physical abilities are actually good and hit twice, the physical damage and defenses debuffs are awesome, and the divine skill move is pretty much MT 9999 damage if you have some Speed twinking (at least against broken enemies). Thief is really good! It’s cool!

Dancer - Buffing class. Magic Attack up, physical attack up, defense up are all useful and good. Dancer is also the only class with dark magic. Dancer’s divine skill makes buffs and other moves that are ST MT. Make it MT, give it to Bowser, etc. Like the status protection, reflect, and of course MAtt/Physical attack/defense buffs. Great class, don’t leave home without one.

In-dungeon/combat actions are interesting. I think they add some particularly cool stuff to Primrose/Ophilia’s arsenals with the Summon command, but Concoct also good. I’m not sure how I feel about the treasure that you can only get with Therion in your party, and the others are situational/not great. Tressa’s can be useful early when you are poor as fuck, which to be fair you spend a while being. I haven’t been abusing Steal or anything like that because I don’t think resetting and stuff is very fun.

55 hours in and still having fun. :D