imageRegister

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 281803 times)

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Movies
« Reply #2450 on: December 06, 2015, 07:34:08 PM »
I saw Creed instead of Hunger Games. I followed that up with Fruitvale Station. Both good movies. Creed was well paced and Fruitvale Station was just a movie I needed to watch.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2451 on: December 06, 2015, 11:28:47 PM »
Bridge of Spies: Very Spielberg. It's well made but a bit boring? With "great american drama" style jokes and filming?
It's based on real events and the added fiction elements are painfully obvious and melodramatic.

There is that hilarious plane crash sequence that's just supposed to be "missile hits plane -> pilote ejects" in real life. They turned that into a ridiculous Uncharted action sequence. The rest of the movie is just Tom Hanks looking anxious in warm clothes so they just threw all the budget into the plane crash.

The movie heavily suggests that russians were merciless with their POWs while americans were super nice with them and really guys you went there? In 2015?
Also, germans are cowards.

Movies like to waste talents from the Wire and this one wastes two of them. NEW RECORD (I'm at least glad they still find roles though)

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2452 on: December 06, 2015, 11:32:15 PM »
Oh yeah the weirdest thing about the movie is that at the end one guy says "if X happens, then cool. If Y happens, then I'm fucked"
Then a bit later the music gets all dark so of course, Y happens. Sad times.

Then the end credits say "Actually, he's fine"
The hell?

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2453 on: December 11, 2015, 11:22:18 PM »
Oh yeah the weirdest thing about the movie is that at the end one guy says "if X happens, then cool. If Y happens, then I'm fucked"
Then a bit later the music gets all dark so of course, Y happens. Sad times.

Then the end credits say "Actually, he's fine"
The hell?
Yeah, that was weird. I would have been happier if the movie just ended there.

I was annoyed that we essentially don't get any kind of insight into why Tom Hanks is such a staunch defender of this dude, especially since he starts out as an insurance lawyer and he was essentially forced into the case. I guess most of it is that they cast Tom Hanks who is the Hollywood avatar of this idealized American morality but I really don't buy that as sufficient.

The score was really intrusive too. Stop trying to tell me how to feel! Some of the scenes were shot well enough to get the point across, but the soundtrack just bashes you over the head emotionally.

It's not bad, but it falls prey to Spielberg's worst instincts, at least to me.

The Coen brothers wrote it apparently, which I don't think I would have guessed since I think their version would be a lot less idealistic and more like all parties fuck up and everyone ends up dead. But based on true story, blah blah.

Anyway, the trailers before the movie were all boring and shitty except for the Coen's newest, Hail Caesar, which looks goofy as fuck. It's coming out in February which is a weird sign, but I hope it's good.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2454 on: December 14, 2015, 06:03:28 PM »
Agreed re: Bridge of spies.
Its 91% rotten tomatoes setting convinces me that this site is made for movies with unenthusiastic positive consensus. (which is not a surprise)

Hail Caesar looks fun but Burn After Reading looked good too?

I've watched a pretty cool Italian movie called Suburra.
Do you like rain?

Unfortunately you can't watch it.
Sorry

I quite liked Macbeth, but came away from it almost like I came from a dream. I remember basically nothing from it, except that one character went on a long tirade when he really should have just said "OMG FUCK!!"
You like Scottish landscapes? Slow movies? The fog? And red? If yes, Macbeth is pretty decent.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2455 on: December 14, 2015, 06:19:58 PM »
Some of those showers are golden.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2456 on: December 17, 2015, 08:39:43 PM »
May the force be with you.

And by force I mean nerd stench.

Because it will be with you if you are trying to watch that movie tonight.

Shits gonna reek so bad.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2457 on: December 17, 2015, 08:43:52 PM »
Hail Caesar looks fun but Burn After Reading looked good too?

Wait, what was wrong with Burn After Reading? I was just happy the Coens could make another comedy that actually succeeded at being a comedy (Intolerable Cruelty and Ladykillers didn't really cut it.)

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2458 on: December 18, 2015, 02:01:03 AM »
Burn After Reading was really entertaining. It's not top shelf Coen Brothers and I think it is the most egregious example of them being contemptuous of their characters, but it's genuinely funny, in particular Brad Pitt's character, Clooney's... contraption, and the ending lines. But then, I also kind of liked the Ladykillers.

I think I'll like Hail Caesar but then I tend to like a lot of the Coens' goofy shit in between masterpieces.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2459 on: December 18, 2015, 03:06:10 AM »
Those dildos aren't cheap.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2460 on: December 18, 2015, 08:25:42 AM »
Burn After Reading was really entertaining. It's not top shelf Coen Brothers and I think it is the most egregious example of them being contemptuous of their characters, but it's genuinely funny, in particular Brad Pitt's character, Clooney's... contraption, and the ending lines. But then, I also kind of liked the Ladykillers.

I think I'll like Hail Caesar but then I tend to like a lot of the Coens' goofy shit in between masterpieces.

Yeah, in total agreement here. It's impressive they could so thoroughly make George Clooney a dork, and Brad Pitt's character was entertaining.

Damn Mickey Mouse reviews...

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2461 on: December 18, 2015, 07:00:48 PM »
May the force be with you.

And by force I mean nerd stench.

Because it will be with you if you are trying to watch that movie tonight.

Shits gonna reek so bad.

I'm going to take this to prove that even our gross nerds are better when you get out of the cesspool that is the South, then.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2462 on: December 19, 2015, 08:36:35 AM »
Star Wars: The Force Awakens-
Short Version- Very good.  The new cast carry the movie very well, the pace is brisk, the emotional stakes are clear and have the necessary impact.  The First Order, Resistance, and Republic could have stood a bit more detail, mostly in terms of their scope and the current state of the galaxy as a whole, but the lack of this information isn't enough to dull our heroes' stake in the battles so it's not a crippling thing.

Long Version-
So, there's three major bits of the movie that are intended to be surprising to the audience:
- Luke Skywalker has disappeared.  This is actually in the opening crawl, but between creative use of a flashback in the main trailer and the announcement that Ford, Fisher, and Hamill were returning, that he actually only shows up for the final shot of the film and a major plot point is finding him is definitely surprising.  I didn't have any speculation on this one, and the Internet had called him turning out evil (which would have been Stupid As Fuck), so good show JJ.
- Kylo Ren is Han and Leia's son.  The internet had speculated that Kylo was 'Jacen Solo' a while back, which made too much sense to me to ignore, so yeah, Called It.  In what is likely a call to the EU fans, his name is actually Ben, who was Luke's son in that universe, and of course the name makes sense here for the same reason.  Now, that same speculation went one further and posited that maybe Rey was 'Jaina Solo', and at this point they HAVE to be taunting EU people because she actually shows a lot of Jaina's traits (uber mechanic and pilot, gts on famously with Chewie), and we are very definitely supposed to see a deeper relationship between her and Kylo Ren than just "well she's the heroine and he's wannabe Darth Vader (aside: I love that they made that an actual defining character trait for him, especially since he has a lot of reason to feel that way!)", but if it's actually supposed to be brother/sister that'd be dumb now.  She met both Han and Leia and spent several days around them, it'd be fucking irresponsible of them not to TELL her she was their daughter at taht point.  Instead I (and quite a few others I've seen) are wondering if she's Luke's daughter.  Adds a lot of weight to that lingering shot of the two of them at the end and goes very well with the Skywalkersaber having such a strong vision for her.
- Han's death.  I recall saying repeatedly and loudly "yeah Han is dying in this movie' when they announced Ford was returning.  Basically every second he's on screen reinforces that notion, and while I like that he went out not in a blaze of glory but trying to reach out to his son, they do draw out that scene a bit long for such a foregone conclusion.  Still, the actual stabbity has a lot of weight and works very well.

So yeah, I was 2/3 on major plot factors going in.  In spite of that I was always drawn right back in any time I started to try and think ahead, and the biggest feeling I had leaving the theater was wondering how to predict the next one with all this new information.  So yeah, actually super hype.  But I can admit the flaws and strengths of the movie independently of fandom and for that refer to the non-tiny version.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: December 19, 2015, 03:47:56 PM »
Star Wars - The Force Awakens - I think the movie plays its cards a little too safe and the movie feels like it draws a bit too much from 4/5 but overall I was pretty pleased. I enjoyed Finn and his backstory, and Rey is a cool enough action heroine. They aren't as fun as the trio in the original series, but still pretty good.

And Han Solo is shockingly important in that movie, which I was pumped about! Unlike Cmdr, I was surprised that Han dies, but that was mostly from a metaplot perspective, since I didn't think that the new director would want to kill off old beloved characters. I also found the stuff with Han and Leia interesting because they treat Ben turning evil really similarly to a couple who lost a child and the ensuing breakup that often happens. In some ways I was also surprised that that plot arc wasn't resolved in a happier way. I also love that Kylo wears a mask because he wants to cosplay his grandfather. Dude looks like such a prick, btw.

Oh, and sitting in the second row kinda sucks >_< only booked the tickets 10 days in advance, I am a fool~
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: December 19, 2015, 05:48:59 PM »
Star Wars TFA- I'm not a huge star wars fan and I still enjoyed the hell out of it. The overarching plot is thin as Cmdr noted, but it isn't thin enough to damage enjoyment of the film.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: December 20, 2015, 04:27:57 AM »
Star Wars 7

As someone who only watched 1-6 once, and thought of them as decent action flicks...

7 is the one I enjoyed the most, pretty easily.  Probably the first of the series that will merit a second viewing from me.

(I was in the second row, but I booked the tickets 2 hours in advance so... >_>)

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: December 20, 2015, 05:14:06 AM »
We were also in the second row and we booked ten days in advance. It wasn't bad except that I had to keep adjusting my 3D glasses to get the right focus.

Anyway, it was a good movie. I think the setting work/a few plot points could be better (but this isn't really new to this particular Star Wars movie, and as CK notes it doesn't ultimately hurt the movie much), and it's a fair knock that it retreads a lot of ground that A New Hope covered, but it was still a thoroughly enjoyable movie. I liked all the new cast it has me eagerly awaiting future episodes.

I thought Kylo Ren was particularly great. He has a whole childish, immature aspect to him (loved his temper tantrums), but men like that can be extremely dangerous, and his characterisation makes a whole lot of sense. Finn was funny and Rey seems cool but I'll want to see how they develop in the next film, especially Rey.

Why are they called "the Resistance", WTF are they resisting, aren't they part of the New Republic or whatever? It doesn't ultimately matter but to me this felt like a decision which placed "capturing the feel of Episode IV" over something which actually made sense.

Han is still Han, still excellent. I also liked how the tragedy of Han and Leia's son drove the two apart (Han to his roguish ways, Leia to her political work). He still has some of the best lines in the movie. ("That isn't how the force works!") Loved the scene with him and his son. (I see some people on the internet are already whining that Han didn't go out like "enough of a badass", which seems like a quick way to ascertain what people have an emotional age of 8.) Actually everything from that scene to the Ren/Rey fight was pretty excellent.

Props to the writers for being willing to off Han, it totally changed the dynamic of the end of the film. This was the first time I ever believed that an attempt to blow up a Death Star or Death Star-like object might fail because hey they just killed Han, nothing is sacred, maybe they'll succeed and blow up the resistance planet and kill Leia too. He'll certainly be missed in the later films, though. (For all that it's a good thing for the films to get out of the old characters' shadows.)

It's funny, I used to think that Ewan Macgregor -> Alec Guiness just ages up Obi-wan too much for the timeframe to be believable, but hahaha damned if Luke didn't look olllld. I know some of that is probably just Mark Hamill, but it's still funny, given that they apparently went through some very similar things.

I thought R2-D2 randomly waking up and being all deus ex machina was kinda silly at the time, but then I realised* that he woke up the first time Rey is around. Suspicious. Lots of Rey-related things are suspicious, curious to see how it all fits together when we learn the rest of her backstory.

*read on the internet

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: December 20, 2015, 06:13:56 AM »
Bridge of Spies: I didn't see this movie, but here's the SnowFire cut of the movie anyway.
A) Toward the beginning, there's some kind of James Bond & Q-esque scene where Tom Hanks is given some gadgets to his mission to East Berlin or whatever.  One of the items is a special pair of glasses that "Q" says will let Tom Hanks see "the true nature of things."  Hanks says WTF.  Q fobs him off and says "you'll understand later" or the likes.
B) The movie proceeds as normal, with spy wheelings & dealing & stuff.
C) Hanks is told that everything is set for the exchange, and he should go to the bridge where the handoff will occur.
D) While waiting, Hanks becomes curious about the bridge, and puts on the glasses from earlier.
E) He sees that the bridge is not made of metal.  No, it is actually a writhing mass of still-living human flesh.  This is where spies, both capitalist & communist, who are no longer needed and know a few too many secrets are disposed of...  permanently.
F) Hanks and the Soviet spy who thinks he's being exchanged team up & jump off dramatically as they're about to be fed to the bridge.  There's an exciting chase sequence through Berlin as shadowy forces pursue them relentlessly through the streets, alleys, & rooftops.
G) The kindly station chief of the CIA welcomes the fleeing spies into his apartment, seemingly to help them out.  But he too is a cultist who effortlessly disables them after they drop their guard.  Their escape is futile.
H) The spies are fed into the bridge, which devours them and makes their life force part of it.  Passerby the next morning walk over Hanks' screaming face, continuing their daily lives, oblivious to the true nature of the bridge.
I) A government official in Virginia takes out Hanks' personnel file, stamps it with a big "Lost in Action" stamp, and tosses it back into the folder.  Camera zooms out to show a giant warehouse, a la Raiders of the Lost Ark.

...wait, that's what we were talking about, right?

Star Wars: Oh yeah, movies that I actually saw.  It was good!

Maybe spoiler thoughts in the next post.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2468 on: December 20, 2015, 04:01:50 PM »
Saw Star Wars Force Awakens, mostly just because I didn't want to be left out of the inevitable discussions about it on the internet for the next 3 weeks.

Overall agreed that it was enjoyable, perhaps the best of the series? It doesn't take away from what the original films did to be groundbreaking, but fortunately the new movie takes what made those movies work and overall improves on it.

Maybe it was just me, but I didn't think there was any room for ambiguity that Rey is Luke's daughter? That whole scene was like "This lightsaber was Luke's, and his father's before him, and now it's yours..." Honestly, I would be much more surprised if she WASN'T his daughter? I don't feel like it's supposed to be a secret.

Hell, none of the 'reveals' CK mentioned feel like they were supposed to be big surprise 'twists'. They were downplayed, none of the characters were surprised by the information because they all already knew them. And that was honestly the best part. I was actually intrigued when they mentioned that Ren was Han's son, which is a far easier emotion to craft and then create meaningful character moments out of than 'shock'. I feel like this is Abrams strength, so I'm glad they played to it. If they had tried to do a cheap shock moment with that by having Ren rip off his mask at some point and yell at Han something like "You can't stop me, FATHER!", I would have rolled my eyes so hard.

So... glad that they didn't do that. Actually, that sums up my general feelings about the film - relief that it didn't suck. Nothing too ambitious happened, but honestly I'm okay with that after all the series has suffered through. With any luck, the amount of money and goodwill built up from this episode will allow the next episodes to get more experimental.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2469 on: December 20, 2015, 08:00:35 PM »
Saw Star Wars Force Awakens, mostly just because I didn't want to be left out of the inevitable discussions about it on the internet for the next 3 weeks.

Overall agreed that it was enjoyable, perhaps the best of the series? It doesn't take away from what the original films did to be groundbreaking, but fortunately the new movie takes what made those movies work and overall improves on it.

Maybe it was just me, but I didn't think there was any room for ambiguity that Rey is Luke's daughter? That whole scene was like "This lightsaber was Luke's, and his father's before him, and now it's yours..." Honestly, I would be much more surprised if she WASN'T his daughter? I don't feel like it's supposed to be a secret.

Hell, none of the 'reveals' CK mentioned feel like they were supposed to be big surprise 'twists'. They were downplayed, none of the characters were surprised by the information because they all already knew them. And that was honestly the best part. I was actually intrigued when they mentioned that Ren was Han's son, which is a far easier emotion to craft and then create meaningful character moments out of than 'shock'. I feel like this is Abrams strength, so I'm glad they played to it. If they had tried to do a cheap shock moment with that by having Ren rip off his mask at some point and yell at Han something like "You can't stop me, FATHER!", I would have rolled my eyes so hard.

So... glad that they didn't do that. Actually, that sums up my general feelings about the film - relief that it didn't suck. Nothing too ambitious happened, but honestly I'm okay with that after all the series has suffered through. With any luck, the amount of money and goodwill built up from this episode will allow the next episodes to get more experimental.

I saw it with five people and we all came to the same conclusion independently.  I think the biggest flag is the ambiguity about what happened in Kylo Ren's training.

I presume it will be elaborated on more in Episode 8 but it's definitely the most ambiguous thing about the time between 6 and 7.  From what we've seen, people don't spontaneously just fall to the dark side and go about their regular business,  Anakin's official change was marked by him murdering a whole bunch of little kids, for instance.  Luke was supposed to kill his father.  My guess is that Ben flipped his shit and killed Luke's wife, which cause Luke to decide to go be a hermit.  He separated from Rey because he was concerned about possibly falling to the dark side out of grief and anger, and neither Leia nor Han were options.  Everybody was clearly real fucked up at that time.

One other thing I think is interesting is that, by my recollection, Finn is the one major character with whom Kylo Ren both gets into a violent confrontation with but does not have the Force used on him.  The dude clearly loves throwing people into shit, it's kind of his signature move.  If he can toss Rey around, who totally has Force powers to try and push back at him, why didn't Finn eat a tree?  I think he might be revealed as a blind spot in the Force.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: December 20, 2015, 10:44:38 PM »
I also saw Star Wars, and I only bought the tickets two days before.

It was basically everything I wanted in a Star Wars movie.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: December 20, 2015, 11:53:23 PM »
So... JJ Abrams clarified R2D2's boot up timing

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/20/jj-abrams-answers-burning-question-about-r2-d2-star-wars-force-awakens

So....R2D2 is a really old computer that just takes a few hours to boot up, apparently.  Rey being there when he finished booting up was apparently more of a coincidence than anything.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: December 21, 2015, 05:41:10 AM »
Aaand Foldable Human discusses Kylo Ren (lots of spoilers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR1e4idmvWY

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: December 21, 2015, 08:51:16 AM »
Star Wars:
Mostly see everybody else for spoiler thoughts.  I should add that I went in almost totally blind - as in, I didn't see any trailers or ads.

Direct sequels involving the main cast (i.e. not side stories which have a lot more leeway) are always tricky, as there's two options:
A) Don't rock the boat, don't change the characters, don't undo anything they've accomplished before except perhaps in an obviously fixable way.  This has the not inconsiderable benefit of not retroactively screwing up earlier stories, but usually makes things too safe & predictable.
B) Be daring, mess stuff up.  High risk, high reward.

On the continuum, you probably need to go B for a compelling story.  Sadly, the downside is real here, and the same as the EU: introducing new crises diminishes the triumph in Return of the Jedi.  Even worse, you have to do things like say "No, Han & Leia did not live happily ever after, and Han apparently became some kind of failure to explain why he's still wheeling & dealing rather than being a high muckety-muck."  It is the right choice for this movie, but it's a painful one for the series.  Oh well.

I agree that adding some kind of throwaway line, or something in the opening scrawl, to make more clear what exactly the relationship between the "Resistance" and the Republic was.  I think that the writers think - somewhat correctly - that there's some ill will toward the "servants of the Republic" setup that was in the prequels.  So they were desperate to cast the action is being headed by a scrappy Resistance and wanted to spend 0 time elaborating on what exactly their link to the Republic was.  Suikoden V had a bit of a similar thing, as the game desperately wanted to insist that you, the friggin' Prince & Royal Aunt, were leading some kind of heroic rebellion rather than presenting your forces as the legitimate government dealing with traitors.  I do hope that after the success of this film, they're willing to edge a bit back into talking about the Republic.

On a related note.  Starkiller Base.  So...  it can shoot other star systems if I understand correctly?  This seems a little too godlike in power, Star Wars has been well-established that its super-weapons conveniently need to get into attack angles, take time to power up, etc. for good & proper dramatic reasons.  And blowing up the Senate wasn't really established well, unlike Alderaan.  Yes, I get that they wanted to hit the exact same notes as the Death Star, and that means amping up the stakes, but bah.  Building something like this would also take ages, so not noticing was a supreme failure on the Resistance's spies, but that's how things roll in movies I guess.  Additionally...  if this is a converted planet, did they really have to blow the whole thing up?  I'm sure that there'll be some excuse that they actually converted a planet with no sentient life on it or something, so it was just First Order lackeys on it, but still.  This would get REALLY dark if they had to destroy a planet to save others.  Then again, as others have pointed out, this movie explicitly struck back against the "Stormtroopers are disposable clones you can slaughter without feeling bad about it" meme that the prequels tried to set up, so maybe they really are willing to go there.

I like the new cast a lot.  One benefit of going in totally blind was that I was willing to believe that Poe Damaron might actually be dead, but sure, he's fun so I'm glad he isn't.  Rey & Finn both seem like they have interesting plot arcs ahead of them, and BB-8 is super-cute, which is a niche not taken by a droid yet.

As another thing the writers explicitly borrowed from Star Wars episode 4, I see that everybody is back to thinking of the Jedi as myths again.  I guess people lap this stuff up, buuut it's really not all that credible.  The Rebel Alliance all said "May the Force be with you" & stuff, you'd think they could have imposed their theocracy on the New Republic.  People generally want to believe in a religion, after all, especially one that says you'll become a Force ghost and help your friends if you die!

Anakin/Luke's lightsaber should totally have been disintegrated in the middle of Bespin, or whatever the gas giant the cloud city orbited was called.  But I guess maybe it just got stuck on something and some poor janitor droid cleaned it up from the bottom of the pit in the worst job in the world.  Ah well, nitpicking.

Speaking of which, leaving Luke largely out was totally the right call.  He'd dominate the action far too much.  Part of why making the sequel at all is a bit disspiriting that he NEEDS to be at least temporarily out of commission, or immediately killed off a la Ben Kenobi, and keeping him isolated was probably the right call.  Dunno why Snoke particularly cares, though.

Speaking of which, I really hope that Snoke isn't somebody possessed by the Emperor's dark spirit or something, a plot twist the EU allegedly used a bunch.  Also, I knew enough about the EU to assume that Rey was a sister to Kylo Ren as well, but I'm convinced that the odds are more likely she's Luke's kid at this point, even if the sister angle is possible.  If they play the sister angle, it'll have to be something like "our daughter TOTALLY DIED in Kylo Ren's betrayal somehow, so this can't possibly be her!"  Cousin is probably more workable, sure.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: December 21, 2015, 03:38:26 PM »
Star wars.

It was safe, and for that a little disappointing.

Guess it's better than that slop they created in the last trilogy.

Hope part 8 tries to be different now that we got a new hope 2.0 our if the way.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion