Author Topic: Movies  (Read 281847 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Movies
« Reply #2250 on: May 10, 2015, 01:25:18 PM »
Yeah, if you don't like a genre because you don't enjoy the movies, nothing anyone can do about that.  Tastes, opinions, etc.  That seems to be Elfboy's point stating that nothing wrong with "mindless entertainment", but if you fail at that, the movie has absolutely nothing going for it outside of maybe some visuals or something (which in most cases isn't enough to carry a movie.)  A thoughtful but boring movie will at least have you think about it after the fact, so there's that, though don't expect me to call it a "good movie" because if it's not delivered in an entertaining way, then you wasted my time on something I probably could have mulled over reading a well written article on the same thing.  Matrix comes to mind for a movie that was entertaining and had some thought provoking aspects; not saying it's a super deep movie or anything, but it certainly tries harder than most action movies.

As far as Games/Books being a bigger offender?  I can see that, but if only because they're both much larger time investments.  A movie you sit and watch for a few hours tops.  Video Games and Books take way longer to read, and in most cases, are done over the course of multiple sessions, especially modern games.  Shovel Knight is one of the shorter games released in the past decade, and that still took over 4 hours, longer than any of the LotR movies and those are considered "long."  Video games have the added problem of costing way more than other mediums, so that further adds it in.

I guess by extension, a TV Series is more comparable to Books and Video Games for that same reason.  You do them over multiple sessions, or you binge watch them and there goes your entire day.

Not the only reason but I definitely feel the time investment aspect plays a role here.  Just my take on it.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: May 10, 2015, 08:16:08 PM »
Zenny I guarantee you that LISA is 10000% more arthouse hipster BS than Boyhood. (I say this as someone who likes both and as a fine amateur of arthouse hipster BS)

Oh, no question at all. But somehow I have the attention span for one but not the other.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: May 10, 2015, 11:44:46 PM »
Man you are crazy dismissive of stuff that doesn't fit your definition of "entertaining" and are prepared to sacrifice an awful lot at that altar.

I don't consider a lot of Kubrick to be particularly entertaining.  They are massively engaging and beautiful technical masterpieces.  I didn't come out of The Shining high fiving all my bros, but I sure have enjoyed the fact that 30 years later there is people talking about how it was Kubrick admitting to help in fake the moon landing (this is a real thing that exists).

I guess I could be misinterpreting "entertainment" to mean more than just "thing I like" but to me it is a specific type of thing where I come out feeling like something held my attention in the moment (usually positive emotionally I suppose?  But I want room for horror/suspense/thrillers also).

Something that engages me more during the movie might pull me out of the movie, but it is a 90 minute thing that will give me way more than that base 90 minute time investment.  That rates pretty high up there for me in terms of things I am glad to have done.

As with all things there is going to be a disconnect based on what you are going into a movie for (I wouldn't watch Jack Reacher to learn something about cinematography just like I wouldn't watch Seventh Seal to fill in some time while I wait for Pizza to be delivered).

It is fun when the two schools of this collide (Nolan being the really modern example, but I would argue that historically that is where George Lucas was originally seated).  Success on either side varies, but it is always interesting.  I find that without the "art house" element you often don't get the dissection of what makes the "popcorn" side of movies work (unless it is like Catwoman bad).
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: May 11, 2015, 02:38:57 AM »
I was going to type pretty much what Grefter typed when I was done with gaming for the day but it looks like he saved me the effort. Seriously guys? There are lots of different reasons to watch movies. How many different emotions are you familiar with? I find a lot of the preceding arguments pretty absurd so I'm mostly just going to leave it.

Speaking of, yeah, I saw Avengers 2. It was okay. I walked out feeling a lot like I did after Days of Future Past. I can understand some of Gourry's misgivings here because it did often feel like its disparate parts didn't quite add up in an entirely satisfactory manner. I don't really feel like the movie added anything of consequence to any of the established characterization. Romance subplot didn't do anything for me, but then romance subplots basically never do*. I guess getting the band together is always going to be more fun than keeping the band together, because at least there's novel interactions in that scenario? So it's probably a good thing the movie made it clear at the end that they'd be shaking the team roster up for the next one. I did like Ultron, but there wasn't enough going on there. The voice-acting sells just the right mix of wounded dignity and humor so that I actually wanted more of him, but the movie just didn't have enough time for it. We go from naive and impressionable new lifeform to genocidal killbot in literally less than a minute. So "overstuffed" is a pretty apt adjective for this production, there's just too many big names vying for face time for everyone to make an impression beyond being the expected quip-delivery mechanism. As for one development late in the movie, I was all like, "They aren't going to do the whole someone has to run back to save the adorable moppet from dire peril, are they?" But of course they did. It seems a pretty impersonal way to kill a character, getting gunned down from afar while protecting a nameless NPC? I could see the argument that protecting innocent bystanders is actually what superheroes are all about and there's no more apt manner for one to die, but I doubt the movie had that specific statement on its mind.

(*At least not when either participant is male.)

So basically it feels like what most of the Marvel sequels have so far, to me: a diluted version of its more engaging predecessor. Not bad, because at worst there's always a fundamental level of competence at work (it takes a commendable degree of professionalism to say lines like "You know I've always supported your avenging" with a straight face), but not really inspired in any way either. Was it entertaining? I guess it was, there were lots of flashing lights on the screen. But I'll be damned if I can say what it was about, in the same way you had a clear character arc in Thor or Iron Man. Even an action movie needs you to give a damn about why people are doing things in order to succeed.

Is there anything after the full credit roll in this one? I left after "Fine, I'll do it myself."

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: May 11, 2015, 03:52:48 AM »
size=1pt tiny text that you can't read without copy pasting or quoting. <3 <3 <3 Fenrir forever he is the best.

Post Dark Knight Rising and Man of Steel, that is ACTUALLY a pretty damn good statement to make though.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2255 on: May 11, 2015, 03:59:23 AM »
Given that the Hulk rampage in South Africa got a similar focus on civilians, I can't see it as anything but a direct knock on the Distinguished Competition, yeah.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: May 11, 2015, 06:32:57 AM »

Is there anything after the full credit roll in this one? I left after "Fine, I'll do it myself."

The manager at the theater said the credits are 17 minutes long and there's nothing at the end.  After "Fine, I'll do it myself" of course.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: May 11, 2015, 06:53:03 AM »

The manager at the theater said the credits are 17 minutes long and there's nothing at the end.  After "Fine, I'll do it myself" of course.

There's nothing at the end of the full credit roll. I'm also not convinced by that 17 minutes long number? I certainly don't recall sitting there that long.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: May 11, 2015, 11:28:20 AM »
Can confirm.  I turned on and checked my phone while waiting to see if there was a second stinger.  Was not 17 minutes long.  That said, there's also no second stinger.  Can't say I really blame them, they couldn't have topped the Shawarma scene.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: May 16, 2015, 03:57:48 AM »
Avengers 2 was fun.

It wasn't great, and they did way too much with Hawkeye and his secret base storyline.

No one cares. Just do super hero things. Alos, the Hulk Widow love scene was silly.

Iron Man is a good guy right? Because he didn't feel like one in this film. Not sure why they are always trying to portray Cap as the asshole in these films. I guess RD Jr. is just more charismatic, which is true.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2260 on: May 16, 2015, 06:31:29 PM »
Fucking go watch Mad Mad Fury Road right goddamn now. That movie is four hours of insane crammed into 150 minutes of movie.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: May 17, 2015, 12:20:40 AM »
Fucking go watch Mad Mad Fury Road right goddamn now. That movie is four hours of insane crammed into 150 minutes of movie.

I pretty much lost it when the bad guy's war party was led by an RV stacked with scaffolding on top to accommodate a full heavy metal band including timpani troupe and a dude playing a double-necked guitar that was also a flamethrower. Why in hell has George Miller been stuck in Happy Feet purgatory for ten years? I don't know whether anyone else can pump this much energy into an action movie and stock even casual shots of background characters you barely even have time to look at with such vivid lunacy.

When you talk about top-notch popcorn entertainment, this is the shit that I have in mind. There is almost no moment of this movie in which something crazy is not happening. There's an army of Billy Corgans. Charlize Theron has a robot hand made out of car parts. There are lethal biker grannies. Every absurd thing is treated completely serious and it's amazing. As a huge fan of The Road Warrior, I am very satisfied.

EDIT: IMDB informs me that the villain is actually the same actor that played Toecutter in the original Mad Max. This is hilarious because I was sitting there thinking, "If Toecutter survived and started a cult, this is about what it would look like." This is also not the only great callback to the older movies.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 12:42:23 AM by El Cideon »

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: May 17, 2015, 04:12:00 PM »
There's actually a half-second flashback to Toecutter's death scene during one of Max's psychotic breaks, so that explains why they did that. Pretty cool.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: May 17, 2015, 05:41:00 PM »

You convinced me to go see this, it'd best be good. E: Okay, it was fun. I hadn't ever seen the original film, but I still enjoyed that.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 08:52:07 PM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: May 17, 2015, 10:15:56 PM »
I can confirm that this rocks

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2265 on: May 18, 2015, 01:58:48 AM »
It might be the best action movie I know.
Watch it in 2d if you can (I couldn't) because 3d ruins the blue skies

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: May 18, 2015, 02:30:17 AM »
Okay, it was fun. I hadn't ever seen the original film, but I still enjoyed that.

The first movie is weird because it's actually really low-key compared to everything else.  I like to attribute it to the lack of a narrative framing device.  All the other movies are stories told as a legend, as is the case with Road Warrior and Thunderdome, which both involve him becoming a semi-mythical figure to a group of people who have only oral tradition, or they're how Max sees the world (Fury Road) because he is, you know, clinically insane.

Otter

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: May 20, 2015, 12:11:43 AM »
I liked Ex Machina

edit: saw Nightcrawler, liked that as well
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 01:58:24 AM by Otter »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: May 21, 2015, 02:18:24 PM »
Mad Max was fucking great.  Relentless as hell but that was a movie that has a post apocalyptic berserker cult of goth boys who drive chopped VW Beetles with V8 engines who go to war to the sound of war drums and a blind goth in a red onesie playing a double neck guitar that doubles as a flame thrower.

I need to start Wasteland 2 this weekend.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: May 24, 2015, 08:32:40 PM »
Mad Max was fucking great.  Relentless as hell but that was a movie that has a post apocalyptic berserker cult of goth boys who drive chopped VW Beetles with V8 engines who go to war to the sound of war drums and a blind goth in a red onesie playing a double neck guitar that doubles as a flame thrower.

I need to start Wasteland 2 this weekend.

They're releasing a revamped version some time in the next couple of months.  It's going to have perks and traits in addition to a bunch of other game mechanic changes so the old save files are going to be incompatible.  Depending on whether you think you can get through a playthrough in that time you might hold off.

Also the flamethrower guitar is real and it really plays and it really shoots fire when you hit the whammy bar.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: May 24, 2015, 11:41:33 PM »
You know, that guitar was awesome in the context of the movie but if you talk about it to people who haven't seen it it just sounds cheap and lolrandom. I discovered that today

Anyway i'm going to see it a second time tuesday. Yay

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: May 25, 2015, 02:07:19 AM »
I saw it again yesterday. This might happen again next weekend. Can't remember the last time I liked something enough to see it multiple times in the theater (outside of see something alone -> see it again later when the family wants to go situations, which is just comic book movies since I'm pretty sure that's all they see anymore).

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: May 25, 2015, 02:48:52 AM »
You know, that guitar was awesome in the context of the movie but if you talk about it to people who haven't seen it it just sounds cheap and lolrandom. I discovered that today

It's not even the context of the movie, you just have to mention that there's a whole war band to get the warband excited.  You know, like a battle hymn you can hear over a bunch of car engines going at maximum speed.

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: May 25, 2015, 11:27:03 PM »
Mad Max: This was entertaining/10

Tomorrowland: Not entertaining/10
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 12:50:54 AM by The Duck »

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: May 26, 2015, 02:09:33 AM »
What did you not like about Tomorrowland? I haven't seen it, but I was curious.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!