imageRegister

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 281849 times)

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
Re: Movies
« Reply #1525 on: April 30, 2012, 12:43:04 AM »
The Secret World of Arietty:  Outstanding.  This is the Miyazaki we know and love, and helps you forget about the trainwreck that was Ponyo.  Miyazaki's attention to minor background details and an excellent use of perspective makes this visually stunning.  And the story is very heartwarming as well.

==========================

Hunger Games:  Really enjoyed this.  Unlike Soppy I thought the cinematography was excellent.  Just enough shaky-cam to add emphasis to children being violent to each other without overdoing it.  Also the orange and teal thing?  They do it rather creatively here.  District 12 is all washed out and "tintype" looking.  The Capitol is completely orange and teal - as it should be!  And the forest area of the games themselves is a nice muted green.  Granted, I'm colorblind, so what looked just right to me might be jarring to other people.

I would have liked more time spent in District 12, since that was the best part of the book.  But the movie does the Capitol and the Games better than the book does, so it works.

Pretty happy with the casting also, thought Peeta was particularly effective.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: May 06, 2012, 09:29:32 PM »
Avengers: Pretty much perfect. Go see this.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: May 06, 2012, 10:20:49 PM »
What the Ciddy said. It was awesome.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1528 on: May 07, 2012, 04:38:28 AM »
Avengers- the movie is not perfect.  This is because perfect is the after-credits scene.  The rest of the movie only achieves that level like 75% of the time.

Yeah.  This is the best of the non-X marvel films, if you liked any of those go see.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: May 07, 2012, 05:22:47 AM »
That's actually an interesting question.  Since this is the DL which loves to rank things, randomly kneejerking from what I've seen of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_Marvel_Comics ...  (warning: Not a comics nerd, never read the source material)...

X-Men 2, Spiderman 2, Iron Man (have an actually dramatic plot arc and some points to be made while also delivering awesome action)
Captain America (Cap is shockingly interesting, though the villainy could use some work.  I'd rather more Nazis, less Hydra.)
The Avengers, Spiderman (Spiderman: Formulaic but fun, I buy the moral.  The Avengers: About as good as a superhero movie teamup can be, but that trope still limits your ultimate dramatic potential.)
X-Men First Class (sucker for alternate history, for all that they should have cut the rando-mutants and the plot actually makes no sense and the mutant hatred is grafted on in a weird way.)
X-Men, X-Men 3 (They're okay, and have Magneto hamming it up at worst.)
Spiderman 3 (3 decent movie ideas crammed into 1 mess here)
Hulk (I don't hate the movie like some, but it definitely feels like it was written by Hideo Kojima on an off-day.  Pretentiousness that goes nowhere, then suddenly Hulk vs. daddy the lightning monster.)

Anyway, Avengers was good enough to convince me to watch Thor & Iron Man 2 sometime.

A few spoilery comments:

* I was a little worried about the blatant fanservice of having Our Heroes have testosterone fits and fight each other, ('cuz that's what people want to see?), but it didn't actually impact the plot at all, so hurray.  If, say, Loki had escaped while Thor & Iron Man stupidly fought it out, then that's extreme idiot ball penalty flags.  Whedon definitely contained the potential script damage by just having the inter-hero fighting be side stuff mostly.  Also, weirdly enough, good decision to introduce BS mind control, since that enables the villaincam to develop some of Our Heros too, important for a large cast with only so much time.

* As another random comment, I am very glad that Black Widow just fought Hawkeye and won rather than having some weepy "Remember yourself!" conversation.  Definitely helped her stock.  More generally the movie did a good job at selling Hawkeye / Black Widow / Fury as not being just dead weight, which is hard.

* The movie didn't explore it which is maybe for the best, but I assume Hulk is more controllable when he voluntarily transforms or something?  He was the mindless engine of destruction at the midpoint which was kinda expected, but he's all set to work with Our Heros in the final set piece.  I guess they needed to do that to sell Hulk working with SHIELD at all, just still a little weird.

* In actual nitpicks / complaint.  The dramatic potential was hampered by this being a comic book movie that needs to obey comic book rules, e.g. never kill named characters and leave villains around for sequels too rather than execute Loki on the spot as they should have done a third of the way into the movie.  I understand it, and the movie didn't have it become a horrible crippling plot hole, but oh well.  Iron Man sacrificing himself for the good of everyone else to save New York from being nuked?  Badass, and potentially dramatic & important, albeit at one-way trip.  Being fine after a blatantly fatal plummet to the ground?  Eh.  You're killing the drama here.  Couldn't they at least have had Stark laid up in the hospital for a month, there be some price to pay?  Same with Thor plummeting 30,000 feet trapped in a cage.  This is blatantly fatal, and if it's not, then I'm not sure how we're expected to see anything able to threaten Thor.  I dunno, the idea of him falling to his doom trapped in a cage was a pretty good one, but I was expecting the script to think up some clever way for him to not die, rather than not dying because ummmm look over there.  Superheros need to do superheroic things, I understand, but this is over the top; leave indestructibility as Hulk's gig.

Also, they better not resurrect Agent Coulson.

Plenty of more praise I could give to the character work & dialogue, but I'm sure everyone agrees, so.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1530 on: May 07, 2012, 05:27:49 AM »
Mostly I don't want to try and separate my personal affection for the x-men from the quality of the first two movies enough to offer an objective comparison between them and avengers. 
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: May 07, 2012, 04:46:08 PM »
Damn it, I wanna see Avengers.  Stupid promise to sister to take her while parents decided the weekend they're going to Rhode Island is grumble grumble grumble grumble...

That said...

Captain America (Cap is shockingly interesting, though the villainy could use some work.  I'd rather more Nazis, less Hydra.)

I think the lack of Nazis was done to make it a little more...tasteful?  If you're going to do a super hero movie with a dramatic presentation about World War 2 and such, displaying Nazis in that kind of light can be sensitive, so just making them all Hydra could have been just them trying to avoid the scenario entirely.

At least that's what I felt like it was anyway.

X-Men, X-Men 3 (They're okay, and have Magneto hamming it up at worst.)

X-men 3 I found awful.  It has a bunch of useless sub-plots (HEY LOOK ARCH ANGEL! This could be interesting *he has 3 scenes total, and like 4 lines the entire movie*), spontaneously kills off a few characters because HEY KILLING THINGS IS COOL (and Cyclops' fate wasn't even on screen, which is ESPECIALLY insulting), and its basically just a train wreck. 

X-men 1 was good, though I thought X-men 2 and First Class were better.  But seeing as X-men 1 was the first of the modern Marvel movies, its shortcomings are more understandable.

Spiderman 3 (3 decent movie ideas crammed into 1 mess here)

Hmm...not sure if "3 movies" but it definitely needed to be split into at least two, I agree.  If nothing else, doing the entire Black Suit nonsense in one movie was a huge mistake.

Hulk (I don't hate the movie like some, but it definitely feels like it was written by Hideo Kojima on an off-day.  Pretentiousness that goes nowhere, then suddenly Hulk vs. daddy the lightning monster.)

For what its worth, Incredible Hulk is a lot more typical of a movie.

It just simplifies the formula to be:
Banner and Ross are on the run, Army wants Hulk dead, lots of collateral damage ensues, Hulk fights a monster that the army unwillingly created because of their obsession!

Also builds up said opponent at the end to make an actual logical rival than just "Ok, I'm going to fight you because YOU DISAGREE!" (also begs the question "Why did you trust the clearly crazy janitor who knows too much?" aspect.)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 04:48:40 PM by Meeplelard »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: May 07, 2012, 08:58:00 PM »
Re: list of Snowfires

Generally agreed on the top tier (though I would likely slide Avengers up with them); swap Spiderman and Captain America (I liked CA more before it went full action movie; the most exciting sequence in the movie was just him chasing one dude through New York); detach X1 from X3 and kick the latter down with Spiderman 3 because X3 is dreadful for reasons largely cited by Meeple.

Thor could hang out with X-Men, I guess? I need to watch this one again. Thor never sold me on the romance and I don't like Portman as an actress, but I am a sucker for grandiose architecture and Asgard looks fabulous. Iron Man 2 would be a notch below those. Not bad, but the actual movie's plot felt it suffered in order to allow time for Avengers setup. I haven't seen Hulk movies and can't comment there.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: May 07, 2012, 11:29:16 PM »
Iron Man:  Damn near perfect except for semi-lame final battle
Spider-Man 2:  It doesn't hurt that Doc Ock is my favorite comic villain, but it's quite good regardless
X-Men 2:  Got the characters down really well
Hulk (Eric Bana version):  I rather liked it.  A deep psychological drama, which is kind of what the Hulk is supposed to be.  Also dug the comic panels.
Captain America: Covered what Cap is rather well.
Spider-Man 3:  Shrug, it worked for me.  Mainly because of Harry Osborn.
Spider-Man:  *Big* improvement over previous Marvel movies.  A little dated now, but great for its time.
X-Men:  Again good for its time but a bit cheesy.
X-Men First Class:  Lots of fun if nothing else.
Thor:  Also lots of fun.
Iron Man 2:  Decent, but fails to reignite the thrill of the first one.
Fantastic Four 2:  Nice visuals, like the Torch chasing the Surfer.  Still has acting problems like...
Fantastic Four:  Human Torch is 100% comic accurate.  Everyone else couldn't act worth a crap.
X-Men 3:  Worst comic movie ever.  Not exaggerating in the slightest.

Haven't seen Avengers or Edward Norton Hulk.  Not bothering to rank things like Ghost Rider, Wolverine, Punisher, or anything else that belongs in Marvel Comics Presents.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: May 08, 2012, 12:05:16 AM »
X-Men 3:  Worst comic movie ever.  Not exaggerating in the slightest.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: May 08, 2012, 12:30:17 AM »

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: May 08, 2012, 11:05:56 PM »
The Avengers was indeed awesome. Tis a shame Norton wasn't part of this movie, but it was good even despite him.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: May 10, 2012, 03:27:39 AM »
http://www.jabootu.com/s4.htm

As bad as that is...

http://www.cornponeflicks.org/batrobin.html

I see you and raise you:
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm701664000/tt0091225

The Avengers: Fantastic movie. Did a very good job of giving everyone screen time and making them interesting. The action was wonderful. All of the characters were badass, including Fury and Hill. Fun little stinger at the end.

MINOR SPOILERS
The Loki v Hulk fight was indeed the single greatest part of this, or perhaps, any other movie. I was happy that no one important got the ol' Joss Whedon treatment. On the whole, this was a very well done piece by Joss. In fact, he was so true to the previously established movie versions of the characters, it doesn't even feel like something he wrote, aside from being generally high quality. Hawkeye and Black Widow were both done really well. Widow's scene with Loki was amazing. Hawkeye's scene on the top of the building, with how.... mechanical and confident he was was just perfect. I spent the scene watching his feet/legs, and they only moved when they HAD to. Some giant dick-swinging shit right there. Only thing I didn't like was he was "The Hawk" and not "Hawkeye". C'mon, Son. Best part of the movie was BY FAR the Hulk. Second best?

COBIE SMULDERS. Damn girl, where you been keeping that ass? I'd watch your show more if I'd known.

The only other thing I have to add was early on there was a rumor that this movie would have Ms. Marvel and that she would be played by Yvonne Strahovski. While I'm disappointed that I didn't get to see Yvonne in that outfit, this is overrall a good thing, because unlike Hawkeye and Widow, who can be explained relatively quickly, Ms. Marvel is pretty much her own thing, and giving her an origin would have eaten up too much time and fucked the pacing of the movie tremendously.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As for ranking the actual Marvel Movies? I'll put it at maybe third overall in Marvel's library? Maybe Fourth. My tier list looks something like this:

Thor ~ This was majestic. Extremely well written, very human, very ridiculously pretty. I actually teared up when I saw Asgard for the first time, and I hope somewhere out there, Jack Kirby did too. This movie was especially interesting to me as a film major, because it's basically the only film I've seen that.... sexualizes and beautifies the male form like another film would a woman. It was primarily a picture about a beautiful man (god, whatever), and it reserved camera angles and lighting tricks almost exclusively used for sexification of ladies.

Spider-Man 2 ~ This also came close to making me cry at one point. Forget where, exactly, but it was very emotional at times, without getting into the emo of movie 3, and it was overall better paced and thought out than movie 1. The fight scene from the clock tower to the train is one of the best superhero fights ever, if not the best. (Not counting Loki v Hulk)

Avengers, Captain America ~ Both movies that set out to do what they did in very fine form. Very nicely done all around. Captain America dealt with a lot of sensitive subjects that could have blown up in your face and made them seem effortless. Avengers, well, I already talked about.

Iron Man, X-Men 2, Spider-Man ~ Very good movies all around, I'm probably inflating the latter two, Iron Man really is either a tier of its own or up there with the previous two, but I don't want to break this up too much. Downey Jr. is an absolutely fantastic Iron Man, and, let's face it, AC/DC makes every single goddamn thing better. (Also props to wearing a Black Sabbath shirt for most of this movie, too.) X-men 2 had some great character moments and the Nightcrawler Scene, which is probably just after Spidey v Ock (or Loki v Hulk) in the "Greatest superhero fights" library. Spider-Man was done very well, but missed some key stuff that made the story they ran with important. Such as, I dunno, GWEN FUCKING STACY. I wrote a college paper on this.

Daredevil ~ The forgotten son of the Marvel Films, this was actually very well done. The director's cut would be placed in the level above, but that's not what they released to audiences, which is a goddamn crying shame, because it, I dunno, patched up the big plot hole the theater release had, and it ALSO had a fucking scene with DAREDEVIL DRIVING A CAR. At any rate, people shat on Affleck way too much when he made this a pretty decent film, Colin Ferrel was fantastic and made a very threatening Bullseye. Michael Clark Duncan as Kingpin is not offensive, what is offensive is Hugh fucking Jackman as Wolverine.

X-men, X-men First Class ~ First Class, I suspected, would be horrible, but once I decided that the entire mythos was made up and it was even then only loosely connected to the previous films, and was just gonna do it's own thing, I loosened up and decided to like it. I think the exact moment was the first time Professor Xavier said "Groovy". X-men was a decent film, but it didn't have much of anything I'd call "amazing" going for it, so there's that.

Iron Man 2 ~ Not a bad movie. Very average. Very much felt like it was done explicitly to be a setup for the Avengers more than to be an Iron Man movie, and I think that's a tad unfair, because Downey and Paltrow are fantastic, have amazing chemistry, and deserved better. They pretty much willed this movie to be better than it was.

Spider-Man 3 ~ 3 is a bad number so far for Marvel. See also:

X-men 3 ~ Not the worst modern Marvel movie.

Elektra ~ Getting closer.....

Hulk ~ The worst modern marvel movie. Ang Lee's direction made me physically ill, and this is not an exaggeration. It's like if someone saw the excellent Conversations With Other Women and took ALL THE WRONG messages from it, and then made it a movie about a giant green guy who smashes things. Bad bad bad bad bad.

I have not seen the other Hulk movie, either Fantastic Four movie (I hear bad things. It's a shame, I fucking LOVE the Fantastic Four), any Punisher movie, or Ghost Rider's movies.

NEEDS A MOVIE YESTERDAY:
Dr. Strange
Luke Cage
Iron Fist
Spider-man v Mysterio

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1539 on: May 10, 2012, 04:55:34 AM »
To their credit, Ang Lee's Hulk is only in continuity within the universe of the 40-Year-Old-Virgin.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: May 10, 2012, 06:03:35 AM »

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: May 10, 2012, 12:39:46 PM »
Luke Cage
Iron Fist

First you do the Bruce Lee-inspired Immortal Iron Fist movie. Then you do Luke Cage as pure Black Dynamite style. Then they team up.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: May 10, 2012, 01:41:30 PM »
Rumor has it that they're working on a Heroes for Hire movie.  but...you know, rumors...

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: May 10, 2012, 08:42:31 PM »
Howard the Duck had Lea Thompson in panties.  That makes it infinitely more watchable than X-Men 3.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1544 on: May 10, 2012, 09:02:04 PM »
Luke Cage
Iron Fist

First you do the Bruce Lee-inspired Immortal Iron Fist movie. Then you do Luke Cage as pure Black Dynamite style. Then they team up.

He use kung fu when he want to, have sex when he please?

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: May 12, 2012, 12:58:46 AM »
Avengers: ...yeah, I'll just echo everyone else, though add in one thing:

2nd After scene = Pure Gold.

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #1546 on: May 12, 2012, 07:18:07 AM »
Just saw The Avengers. It was awesome, but you already knew that.

Glad I could contribute to this discussion in a relevant way.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: May 12, 2012, 09:39:36 PM »
The Avengers:  thought the first half was a little slow, but the second half rocked.  Hulk was pretty much the highlight of every scene he was in.  Great action sequences all around, and lots of "teamwork" scenes that punctuated why these guys needed to work together.

As for after-credit scene one, all I can say is OH SNAP.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: May 12, 2012, 09:40:18 PM »
I was going to see Avengers again but the theater was inexplicably showing Yellow Submarine today and I was obliged to see that instead. I believe now I can confidently say I know what it's like to be on LSD.

Cap: Indeed, not at all someone I expected to see in a big-budget comic movie there. Interesting choice, should be fun to see what they do with him. And yeah, if I haven't said it already, Ruffalo was great as Banner. All these nervous little scientist mannerisms going on, no one even has to say anything for the inner tension to be obvious.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 09:45:41 PM by El Cideon »

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: May 12, 2012, 09:51:38 PM »
Plus Ruffalo even had some of the best lines as Banner (as well as the best scenes as Hulk!)

Example:

Widow: You may want to get inside, its going to be hard to breathe soon.
Cap: Oh, so its a Submarine?
Banner: Me inside an underwater, high pressure, small space? Yeah, that's a good idea.
*Helicarrier pops up*
Banner: ...oh no, this is MUCH worse!

And yeah, Ruffalo was great as Banner.  I pretty much echo everyone who keeps saying he's the best Banner/Hulk to date, because...well, he is.  Mind you, Norton was good, and worked well in Incredible Hulk, but Ruffalo just was better.

I was going to see Avengers again but the theater was inexplicably showing Yellow Submarine today and I was obliged to see that instead. I believe now I can confidently say I know what it's like to be on LSD.

Considering how many times I've seen this movie, both as a kid on my own time, and through my little sister going through an obsession phase with it, it makes me worried that I might be desensitized to the effects of such drug!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 09:53:21 PM by Meeplelard »