imageRegister

Author Topic: Movies  (Read 281786 times)

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
  • Because you don't get her with 3 levels left.
    • View Profile
Re: Movies
« Reply #1075 on: June 28, 2010, 07:11:26 PM »
Iron Man 2 - good stuff. Now, I'm fairly confused about some plot things, but that's because this is the first time I was exposed to Iron Man outside of a video game.

What kinda plot things?

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1076 on: June 29, 2010, 11:11:48 AM »
Iron Man has a plot? :o

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: June 29, 2010, 10:16:02 PM »
Iron Man has a plot? :o

Yes.  Blow shit up, crack jokes, show off hot people, and make Captain America references.

That said... it makes for a good movie!

Idun

« Reply #1078 on: June 30, 2010, 04:53:28 AM »
The whole new element thing. What's it's NAME? But other things I'd have to think of later.

Paper Heart 5/5. Really. This movie surprised me.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: June 30, 2010, 03:23:15 PM »
War of the Gargantuas: Another obscure Kaiju movie by Toho, finally saw it!

Random things I noticed:
-The two Gargantuas are smaller than most Toho Kaiju.  Based on their size relative to buildings, trees, etc., I'd say they were on a 50 foot scale.  Toho Kaiju are usually more like a 150 Foot scale (Godzilla's original official japanese height was 167 Feet or some such, or 50 Meters IF YOU PREFER TO BE METRIC, for example.)  Though I can understand why; the Gargantuas needed to actually interact with humans (bad one eats humans, one by one, for example), so they needed to be large enough to be threatening, but small enough such that humans could actually be seen by them as something larger than ants (so instead, humans are like mice!)

-Random usage of music from Ghidorah, the Three Headed monster, near the end.  Most notably, the "Rodan's Theme" section was used the most, but the entire song was there, if broken up (as in, the "Ghidorah's theme" part and the "Godzilla's Theme" part were both there!)

-The Brown Gargantua (the good one) was definitely the stronger and larger of the two.  Didn't expect that, cause most cases, the bad guy is the stronger and its usually the UNDER DOG TRIUMPHS, or the two are evenly matched.   I guess the logic here is that the Green one is just a lot more aggressive and savage, where as the Brown one is less prone to fighting, so that would offset things?  Except the Brown one had the whole Berserk Button thing where when humans were hurt, he'd start pounding on the green one anyway...and to add insult to injury?  The Brown one had in his favor...

-COMPETENT MILITARY! IN A KAIJU!  What is this I don't even...

Other than that, movie isn't really anything special.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: June 30, 2010, 07:55:33 PM »
The whole new element thing. What's it's NAME? But other things I'd have to think of later.

Obviously Tony Stark's dad invented an element, but didn't have the technology to create it.  So, he left some absurdly hidden clues for Tony to find to create the element when the technology was available.  Naturally Daddy Stark knew that Tony would have access to some super cool 3D computers and some pretty badass lasers.  He no doubt assumed that this element would someday be needed to save Tony's life and/or make a more awesome version of whatever invention's Tony had made while trapped in a prison.

Idun

« Reply #1081 on: July 01, 2010, 04:00:36 AM »
I'd like to know it's name!

How to Train Your Dragon - 5/5. Golden. Good voice acting, beautiful textile animation, etc. etc. Onto next movie.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: July 01, 2010, 08:51:47 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ununoctium

Wikipedia, its useless AND educational.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: July 01, 2010, 06:38:14 PM »
Emphasis on useless in the case of ununoctium. If the chemist doesn't even care about you...
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: July 01, 2010, 10:35:18 PM »
You Chemists only interested in your real testable elements.  If only you had true vision like Theoretical Physicists!

But yeah this is one part of the plot of Iron Man 2 that they do crib from the real theory of Ununoctium a fair bit.

No compounds of ununoctium have been synthesized yet, but calculations on theoretical compounds have been performed since 1964.
Being the most relevant sentence in the whole damned article.  No compounds synthesized and no real work done on it since the mid 60s.  BAM that is going straight into the movie.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1085 on: July 02, 2010, 03:24:04 AM »
That said, for non-chemist people, Ununoctium is not a real name.  It's a placeholder (Latin.  Un un octium or one one eight, ie 118 on the periodic table) name for a theoretical element that has never actually been observed, whether in nature or in experiments.  Once it's be found/created enough to actually play with it and work out what it's like, then it'll get a real name, presumably based on some famous chemist.

Wikipedia notes in... I believe the page on Vibranium (one of Marvel's fictitious super-elements, it's used in stuff like Captain America's shield and is one of the metals in Adamantium) that the Iron Man 2 novelization gives said name to the element Tony creates in the movie.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: July 02, 2010, 08:40:32 AM »
If Vibranium is unstable enough to be used as a powersupply or conductive enough to be used IN such a minute scale powersource that can provide so much power then Captain America is going to be pretty fucked when his movie comes out.

Idun

« Reply #1087 on: July 03, 2010, 05:57:37 AM »
Goodbye Solo - 5/5.
12 - 3/5.
Where the Wild Things Are - 3/5. It was beautiful, but it was just missing something . . .

Idun

« Reply #1088 on: July 03, 2010, 07:45:26 PM »
Alice in Wonderland - 3/5. See WTWA.

Bloody bighead was awesome though.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: July 04, 2010, 10:14:17 PM »
Up in the air- Has anyone else here seen it? Just saw it and gathering my thoughts.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Idun

« Reply #1090 on: July 05, 2010, 05:32:07 PM »
I hear not so pretty things about the Last Airbender.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: July 05, 2010, 05:59:19 PM »
I hear not so pretty things about the Last Airbender.
I saw it and it's as bad as everyone is saying. The effects are good, but the script is absolutely dreadful. The series is much, much better.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: July 05, 2010, 07:14:19 PM »
*checks* Average rating of 4.5/10 on IMDB. And IMDB voters typically overrate things, especially on opening weekend. Wow.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: July 05, 2010, 08:03:37 PM »
Still managed 40 million somehow

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: July 05, 2010, 08:08:28 PM »
DAMN YOU SHUMANILALNIWHATSIT!!!!!
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: July 05, 2010, 08:09:52 PM »
Up in the air-  Saw this, as I briefly mentioned above. The movie's premise is pretty simple in it's fucked up way (Guy is a subcontractor who fires people for a living, lives an empty life mostly in airports and hotels), and delivers on style in a big way. Plot twists were easy to see coming, sadly.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: July 06, 2010, 01:05:48 AM »
Last Airbender:  Was actually pretty decent, although I never watched the TV series so I don't know how closely they followed it.  Special effects and scenery are beautiful.  Acting is subpar though.  Aang and Kitara were decent but the villains were dreadfully hokey.  As for the script, I believe this was the quote that came out of my mouth at the end:  "What the fuck?  That was the end of the movie?"

Obviously they expect it to be successful enough to warrant multiple sequels, but that's a dangerous gamble (see Golden Compass).

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: July 06, 2010, 01:38:42 AM »
Last Airbender:  Was actually pretty decent, although I never watched the TV series so I don't know how closely they followed it.  Special effects and scenery are beautiful.  Acting is subpar though.  Aang and Kitara were decent but the villains were dreadfully hokey.  As for the script, I believe this was the quote that came out of my mouth at the end:  "What the fuck?  That was the end of the movie?"

Obviously they expect it to be successful enough to warrant multiple sequels, but that's a dangerous gamble (see Golden Compass).
If you get the chance, try to watch some of the episodes. It's an excellent series and is probably the best thing Nickelodeon has produced in years. They really did cut out a lot in the movie, but they also added in some stuff that I thought was odd. Sokka and Katara's characters really suffer from a lack of screentime and as a result are almost nothing like what they are in the series. If they do have a sequel I hope they do Azula justice because she is really a superb villain in the show.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1098 on: July 06, 2010, 02:17:57 AM »
Where does the movie end it?  from the previews I assumed they covered the whole Siege of the North Pole plotline (ie, the end of Season 1), where basically it's "we won this big battle, but we've still barely dented the Fire Nation".
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: July 06, 2010, 02:22:46 AM »
Yeah, it ends at the end of season 1. The fire nation has retreated and we get a glimpse of Azula right before the end.