Author Topic: Movies  (Read 281792 times)

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
  • Because you don't get her with 3 levels left.
    • View Profile
Re: Movies
« Reply #825 on: March 09, 2010, 11:10:13 PM »
But... LASER DANCE.
I concede, best... movie... ever

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: March 10, 2010, 11:08:25 AM »
Oh don't get me wrong, the ending is bad.  She goes off and gets a career of her own!  Way to go!  What is that job?  Colonial Trader!  Hooray, women can be scummy imperialists as well ^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^

It is better than your standard Disney woman, but it is heavy handed and stupid in ways that they don't want you to think about.

The ending has nothing to do with Wonderland though.  Everything about Wonderland is worth going to see and is a good movie.

Edit - The fight with the Jabberwocky is the logical ultimate conclusion to the entire plot.  It may not be terribly satisfying because the Alice character is dull, but the plot is just a vehicle to watch stuff happening.  Alternately you can be a giant faggot and say it is something about the dull inevitability of growing up and choosing that shitty fucking Career over making out with your crazy Johnny Depp for all of eternity (Stupid choice).
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 11:18:39 AM by Grefter »
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: March 10, 2010, 03:30:15 PM »
Alternately you can be a giant faggot and say it is something about the dull inevitability of growing up and choosing that shitty fucking Career over making out with your crazy Johnny Depp for all of eternity (Stupid choice).

Past experience tells me that you CAN make the awesome choices in life, and have things turn out pretty good.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: March 11, 2010, 08:12:41 AM »
I would say you have quite clearly chosen the equivalent of making out with crazy Johnny Depp for all of eternity for yourself so far.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: March 13, 2010, 03:57:45 PM »
Cop Out was awesome

Hot Tub Time Machine was awesome

and Hot Rod has one of the best endings in cinematic history!
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Idun

« Reply #830 on: March 13, 2010, 07:41:49 PM »
Hunger - 4/5. Very tactile movie. About the Hunger Strike in Ireland against British control. I would really categorize the later part of the movie as a huge monologue - there's about a 20+ minute scene where there's little camera change of conversation about why the Hunger Strike needs to go through. I wasn't bored in the least. Unusual, since I'm used to American cinema specifically changing vantage points every chance it gets. Good movie. Unexpected.

Hancock - 3/5. Chat knows what I don't like. Funny movie nonetheless.

Next movies: Night at the Museum 2, and Audition. I loved the first movie - second was suggested by chat. OH. Saw the beginning of Let The Right One In and fell asleep after the girl jumped down off of a high platform when the kid was stabbing a tree. Was very, very tired that night. Need to rewatch.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: March 13, 2010, 10:11:16 PM »
Hunger - 4/5. Very tactile movie. About the Hunger Strike in Ireland against British control. I would really categorize the later part of the movie as a huge monologue - there's about a 20+ minute scene where there's little camera change of conversation about why the Hunger Strike needs to go through. I wasn't bored in the least. Unusual, since I'm used to American cinema specifically changing vantage points every chance it gets. Good movie. Unexpected.

I hadn't heard of this before so I just looked it up and went, "HOLY SHIT zombie Steve McQueen directs movies." If only.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: March 14, 2010, 06:28:47 PM »
I jus saw black Dynamite, and wow. Why can't all movies be like this? Superfunkyperbaliscious~
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: March 17, 2010, 08:21:42 AM »
Alice in Wonderland - Pretty good.  Kept me amused.  Don't bother watching it in 3D; unlike Avatar, the 3D was mostly used for tacky "WHOA COMIN' RIGHT ATCHA!" moments, so it didn't justify the use of the technology to me.  March Hare was my favorite character for whatever reason; dude does way too much amphetamines kno'm'say'm?  Storyline was kinda silly but duh.

To all the people going "I don't get the change at the end" . . . from a storytelling perspective, yes the ending is trite, done before, and doesn't really make much sense since Alice doesn't have that much of an impetus to change.  However, if you're taking the entire movie as a metaphor for Alice going off and doing hallucinogens in the forest (not that far out there), it makes enough sense.  LSD/mushrooms/etc are a time of seeing lots of weird shit and also completely re-evaluating your worldview so it worked as far as I'm concerned in that framework.

And, honestly, if you're going to take issue with that, you might as well take issue with a Victorian-era young woman having anything to do with a business and not simply getting married to the person her parents had arranged for her.  And if you're doing that, you are spending too much time trying to analyse the plot of a movie where A LITTLE GIRL SLAYS A DRAGON.

Anyway, it definitely is Lewis Carol meets Tim Burton meets Johnny Depp so it's worth seeing regardless of the amounts of drugs you do.  It's also just way better if you do because they certainly kept the innuendo up and the little nods will make you smile.

Idun

« Reply #834 on: March 17, 2010, 07:33:32 PM »
I hadn't heard of this before so I just looked it up and went, "HOLY SHIT zombie Steve McQueen directs movies." If only.

I don't get it. Maybe it's because I don't watch en-- OOOh. HUNGER. ZOMBIE. HUNNNGER AND ZOMBIE. I get it.

Don't feel like backspacing. Anyyyyway.

Night at the Museum 2 was as good as Night at the Museum 1 in terms of entertainment and humor. Ending was kind of lame, but the Smithsonian rocked and that was expected.

Next.

Momma Mia.

Also, Netflix is running a lot of instant queue'ing for Akira Kurosawa like Rashomon, Seventh Samurai, Ikiru, etc. if anyone is interested.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: March 17, 2010, 09:26:30 PM »
It's because the director of that movie is apparently named Steve McQueen, which is also the name of a cool actor from the sixties (who is now dead). Watch The Great Escape.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: March 17, 2010, 09:50:07 PM »
Steve McQueen died from being too badass. (Lung Cancer from contracted from wearing an asbestos suit while racing his many, many cars.)

Idun

« Reply #837 on: March 18, 2010, 04:42:01 AM »
Guess I didn't get it. :P

Wiki'd it and now I do. Huh, never even knew who this guy was. But this is coming from someone who doesn't really care about names unless it's something I really like. Obviously I just haven't seen it. Great Escape will be added once it's on IQ.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: March 18, 2010, 05:08:34 AM »
Great Escape is fantastic and McQueen was the man.

Alice in Wonderland - Went and watched it in 3D to see how that goes with my vision impairment.  It kind of works but makes me sick in the stomach, glad I hadn't eaten that day.  Still stand by the movie is worth watching for the LSD and pffft Alice.

Men Who Stare At Goats - This is awesome and you should watch it.  A bit of Three Kings a touch of Big Lebowski and just a whole lot of fun.  George Clooney is a Jedi trained by Jeff Bridges and he is on a secret mission in Iraq with Ewan McGregor along for the ride.  This is awesome and the actual plot synopsis.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: March 19, 2010, 05:06:37 PM »
Charlie Bartlett- Kinda saccharine, kinda squanders a lot of good potential, but still really enjoyable. Drunken Robert Downey Jr. never hurts either.

Idun

« Reply #840 on: March 21, 2010, 06:14:01 AM »
Screw how deep a movie is.

Mamma Mia! was hilarious.
5/5

Mamma Mia~ Here I go agaa~ain, my my, how can I resist you~~~~~~?

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: March 21, 2010, 08:34:43 AM »

5/5

* Makkotah facepalms.

Not at you, just at your tastes.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: March 21, 2010, 01:43:02 PM »
Not at you, just at your tastes.

I'm not angry.  Just disappointed.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: March 21, 2010, 02:47:18 PM »
Disappointed in your taste.

Chicago is far better.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: March 21, 2010, 06:26:49 PM »

5/5

HELL YES, MAMA MIA IS THE BEST MOVIE EVER!

(I think I might be serious--certainly the movie I enjoyed the most).

Idun

« Reply #845 on: March 24, 2010, 08:07:21 PM »
Hey. Mamma Mia is frickin sweet. I haven't seen Chicago yet. But supposedly Mamma Mia!'s faired better revenue-wise, keeping in mind the MM is newer and Chicago is older. Isn't there a new Chicago or a new dvd set?

Good Hair - 4/5.
Ah. A movie I can identify with. Hilarious though - everything I talk about in my day-to-day activities. Noticed a lack of light-skinned girls and the perspective of dark skinned girls being emphasized. 'Tis fine. I am dark. Was going to watch this with my boyfriend so he could stop asking me questions about weaves, perms, braids, cornrows, etc. etc. but apparently I called his job when he was doing some kinda test and pissed him off. Oh well. Off to Netflix!

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: March 25, 2010, 03:06:23 AM »
Zombieland:  Trips plays Woody Harrelson, Super plays a little girl, and Melee weapons are broken.

Also don't run ahead and start the horde event in Dark Carnival 2 what the hell is wrong with you.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #847 on: March 25, 2010, 05:58:44 AM »
Dibs on being Bill Murray, then.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: March 25, 2010, 04:11:08 PM »
BILL. FUCKING. MURRAY.

Possibly the best Bill Murray cameo to date.

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
  • Because you don't get her with 3 levels left.
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: April 03, 2010, 08:23:37 AM »
She's outta your league:  3/5: Had it's funny moments... but also had it's dumb fuck moments...  the end makes it lose half a point

Hot Tub Time Machine:  3.5/5.:  Funny...but too man type casted characters.  Be original comedies...

Battle of the Titans:  3/5:  Badass fighting... BUT ZERO FUCKING TITANS IN THE MOVIE.  HOW DO YOU HAVE A BATTLE OF THE TITANS WITH ZERO TITANS...