imageRegister

Author Topic: TV Shows  (Read 55940 times)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
Re: TV Shows
« Reply #625 on: November 27, 2017, 11:13:37 AM »
Stranger Things: It's like E.T. if they took the walkie talkies away from the FBI agents and gave them guns instead.

This is the best thing I'll read all week.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: November 27, 2017, 11:15:23 AM »
Falling Skies- Just finished season 1. Lots of love for this show. Does a good job conveying characters with shades of grey and the acting's great.  I'll definitely watch more.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: December 04, 2017, 05:38:04 AM »
Luke Cage:  This is the blackest show ever.  Alfre Woodard did a good job - I hated her every time she was on screen.  My wife is in love with Mike Colter, Milk Dud head and all.  Also fuck the writers for teasing Misty Knight losing her arm.

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: December 05, 2017, 08:28:03 AM »
My wife is in love with Mike Colter, Milk Dud head and all.

NOOOOOOO  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: January 24, 2018, 05:26:36 PM »
I've sniffled the entire show but tonight I bawled, I bawled I bawled.

This Is Us.

My god.

Like. :'(

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: August 26, 2018, 02:30:33 AM »
Disenchantment: It's watchable, but not particularly good.  There's a lot of reused Simpsons jokes.  Like any Simpsons fan would recognize the "cursed sprinkles" joke immediately.  So when they use a variant of it, it just ends up being eye-rolly instead of funny.

First problem with the show is lack of variety in the episodes. Most of the episodes are just "Bean wants to rebel, oh no her father won't let her."  There's very little variety in scenery or plot.  They finally throw in a big cliffhanger in the last episode to keep you interested but it's too late.

Characters are the other major problem.  Bean is okay, but Lisa Simpson independent woman combined with Homer drunkard just doesn't mesh well.  Elfo has a bit of personality but he's not an exciting character.  Luci is like anti-interesting.  Supposed to be the Bender type character that is inherently evil but does good things occasionally.  But he's just boring.  He barely shows up in later episodes and you don't miss him.

Having said that, the Giant episode is legitimately good.  And Oona is a great character design.

The show reminds me a lot of Star vs the Forces of Evil, except Star has better characters, more variety in settings, and does the overarching plot+major plots coming together at end of seasons far better.  So yeah, Netflix, you got schooled by a Disney XD show.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: November 12, 2018, 09:31:06 PM »
The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. It is what happens when a busybody girl thinks she can solve everyone's problems herself.

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: May 20, 2019, 02:45:38 PM »
GoT.

Well, okay... then.

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: June 03, 2019, 08:34:47 PM »
Good Omens is pretty great (I've just finished episode 3 of 6 last night). David Tennant's Bill Nighy impression was distracting for the entirety of the first episode, but it smooths out going onward. I barely remember the book, having read it about 20 years ago, so I won't comment on adaptations. I will, however, commend Gaiman for his TV writing because this thing is ineffably British and also does a great job blocking out big characters and refining them down again along the way. Michael Sheen is my favorite, I just want to wrap Aziraphael up and give him some cocoa and a good book and leave him to it. (Tennant is my favorite in general and he does a great job with what he's got, but Crowley is a very different kind of character.)

The third episode is my favorite so far, by far. The ways the characters change -- character's we've so far known for just barely 2 hours going into this one! -- and get set for what's to come is beautifully done. I can't wait to see what's next (while also fully recognizing the irony in the fact that I don't have to wait, because all the episodes are there, I just am doing so).
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: June 04, 2019, 09:12:03 PM »
Also watched the first couple episodes of Good Omens yesterday.  It's good!  Adaptations of books - especially books of Pratchett's style that lean heavy on prose for humor - are tough.  My biggest complaint is that a moment in the book that is outrageously funny in the book is only moderately funny in the show.  It's the bit where Agnes Nutter, having predicted that she would be burned as a witch, has lined her petticoat with a large quantity of gunpowder and nails.  The contrast between dry prose and massive carnage makes it work, and in the show the carnage simply wasn't massive enough.  If I had to point to a general weak link, it's actually the main actors, both of whose delivery seems a little wooden and who don't have as much chemistry as I'd like.  These are minor points, though.  Overall, very impressed.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 09:13:55 PM by NotMiki »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!