Author Topic: Watching any anime?  (Read 243542 times)

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
Re: Watching any anime?
« Reply #1925 on: February 13, 2013, 08:35:36 AM »
Incidentally, Chihayafuru is about 5 episodes into Season 2, and if you're not watching it, you really, really should rectify that and watch all of Season 1.

This is one of the most heartwarming shows I have ever seen, and people on Something Awful have taken to calling it "The best Sports Anime ever". This might be able to give you an idea of how the competition aspect plays out. It's not just the protagonists that get progressively better--(which they do)--their rivals also seem to get better with time, learn from their mistakes, and improve in both their strategy and emotional depth. There are not many throwaway characters in this show. There is a purpose for everything.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: February 17, 2013, 09:18:08 PM »
L-Gaim: Full Metal Soldier - watched

Reasonable enough. Devotes some more time to the fallout of Gaw defecting from the Elite 13, which was needed. You do kind of have to wonder how she was ever made a member in the first place.

Gundam Unicorn - watched episodes 4 and 5

Fairly entertaining. A bit preachy. Feel that episode 4 was the better of the two.

I guess Riddhe is going insane now, which is disappointing. There've been enough people with artificially-induced insanity already.

Steamboy - watched

Pretty awesome, albeit also gets a bit preachy.

Scarlett's character annoys me for some reason and it feels like it shouldn't. Just it seems like the movie is throwing evidence at her that the Foundation is doing questionable things and she never really changes because of any of it. On the other hand she is a child (with a sheltered upbringing).

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: February 19, 2013, 10:25:30 PM »
Maoyu: Watched episode 1. Spice and Wolf, but trading economics for world building and Holo's sexy confidence for big breasts and moe. Not really a favorable trade.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: February 20, 2013, 02:08:53 AM »
The show has its difference between Spice and Wolf. This show is more philosophy oriented. Basiaclly about the Demon Queen bombarding medival society with moden belife (with said medival society has enough material production to catch ontp what she is bombarding them with).

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: February 20, 2013, 02:37:28 AM »
The animation for Mayou anime being ugly as sin doesn't help.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1930 on: February 20, 2013, 07:46:49 AM »
So I started watching Fairy Tail at a friend's recommendation. I haven't watched anime in a while, so maybe the shounen tropes don't bug me as much due to lack of overexposure, but I'm really enjoying it.

Unlike its brethren in the genre, the main cast has a pretty even gender ratio, relatively speedy pacing, and more time is spent world-building than navel-gazing. It's also pretty funny, but One Piece does that well, too. Actually, comparisons to One Piece all-around describe the show pretty succinctly. It's like One Piece, only with Mage Guilds instead of Pirates. And female cast isn't worthless. And the art is less weird, though that may or may not be a point in its favor since I like One Piece's weird art. Fairy Tail certainly does a good job on character design - nothing overly outlandish, but everyone is very distinct and it avoids the usual problem of "Everyone looks the same except for hair, eye color, and jaw shape".

I highly recommend it to Andy because its concept reminds me a lot of his tastes in stories, though it has a more light-hearted tone than most of his stuff.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: February 20, 2013, 08:44:42 PM »
Fairy Tail is good times.  I avoided it for a long while because the name makes you assume it's about furries (it is not, mostly).  One thing I appreciate about it is despite it being a traditional shonen anime in the mold of One Piece and all the rest of them - and frankly heavy on the cheesecake - the male lead never definitively out-power-levels his female colleagues.  Ezra remains more powerful or at the very least equal in power to Natsu.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: March 30, 2013, 09:55:50 AM »
The Disappearance Of Haruhi Suzumiya - watched

It was fine. I've left it too long to remember anything specific I may have wanted to say one way or the other.

Princess Jellyfish - watched through

Fairly entertaining, but almost no closure to anything. I can only assume that one of the goals of the series was to get people to buy the comic.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: April 09, 2013, 02:22:46 AM »
The Shingeki no Kyojin anime is just everything it as amazing as it should be.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: April 12, 2013, 05:43:20 AM »
Valvrave- A robot that turns you into a blood sucking undead, on top of the most awesome service agreement ever? Yeah, I am following this.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1935 on: April 19, 2013, 08:41:56 AM »
Valvrave 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVke__4OZ-0

I don't need to say anything else.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: April 21, 2013, 09:09:30 PM »
Valvrave has literally become the best comedy this season. I laughed harder than I did when watching Part Timer.

BTW, what's wrong with DS2? It is becoming bullshit at amazing pace.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: May 03, 2013, 07:58:34 AM »
Valvrave - Wow, this show outright stop trying to hide the fact it is a comedy this episode. Senator Moses made me laughed harder than all the episodes of Part Timer combined.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: May 05, 2013, 03:16:21 AM »
Shingeki no Kyojin: Yes yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: May 05, 2013, 04:07:04 AM »
Attack on Titan's OP is fairly awesome. I don't know if I want to watch the show though. The last depressing show with giants I watched (Bokurano) I couldn't get through.

Railgun S: This was a great manga to read when the situation involving Mikoto got deadly serious. It should be fun to watch her be pushed to the breaking point and beyond.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: May 05, 2013, 05:20:29 AM »
Don't worry, Shingeki is just filled with hope!  Sure it gets brutally crushed under foot constantly and endlessly, but it's there!  Unlike Bokurano which is all doom and gloom all the time and still more cheery than the manga.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: May 11, 2013, 03:33:14 AM »
Railgun S 05.

I wasn't entirely sure they'd be that faithful to the Manga, given how historically the Railgun anime has been cute girls (with superpowers) doing cute things and occasionally being badasses.

This... This is not cute girls doing cute things.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: May 11, 2013, 06:15:03 AM »
Accelerator time?

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: May 11, 2013, 10:13:26 AM »
Litte girl, train, smash, albino laughing insanely

You do the math.

Mind I add, Kazuma has always been a better writer when involving blood than with sugar.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: May 11, 2013, 12:38:07 PM »
The Sister's arc is about Mikoto's slow descent into despair and madness. I just hope the show captures the overwhelming guilt that is the driving force for Railgun's actions. It has been extremely faithful to the source material thus far, so I suspect it will.

This dark turn is extremely out of line with how the series was before (which while kind of fun didn't have much objective value). The character development involved going forward should be rather good.

I wonder if the anime will show the fate of the Testament creator.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: May 14, 2013, 07:30:39 AM »
The moment she finds out what happened to Tree Diagram, I simply cannot wait.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: May 17, 2013, 12:02:45 AM »
Wrong point if you're looking for complete breaking Niu. Tree Diagram's fate just gives her a "psycho killer" look. The breaking point comes with that Live Feed of 10031 compounded with her memory of how she treated that girl. Ugly business.

Devil is a Part Timer: Very amusing for a few episodes and then it lost my interest. I will say that it works much better as a comedy than anything else. The timing of the jokes is just great.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: May 19, 2013, 04:59:09 AM »
Shingeki no Kyojin: PUNCH

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: May 19, 2013, 08:19:27 AM »
Wrong point if you're looking for complete breaking Niu. Tree Diagram's fate just gives her a "psycho killer" look. The breaking point comes with that Live Feed of 10031 compounded with her memory of how she treated that girl. Ugly business.

I singled out the Tree Diagram part as that pretty much what eventually leads to her conclusion that she has no other option but to let Accelerator kill her.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: May 19, 2013, 07:22:34 PM »
JC Staff has been doing a really good job on the adaptation thus far. I am a little worried that they'll give too much focus to the other girls during the arc. Done right that focus could create a fabulous juxtaposition between Mikoto's old idyllic daily life and the waking nightmare she finds herself in now. Done poorly it would create massive mood-whiplash that would damage the impact of the events that happen during the arc.

Now I just need to start up Gargantua.