Author Topic: 2020 Miscellaneous Links: Untitled Moose Game  (Read 145582 times)

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
Re: 2018 Miscellaneous Links: It's an Albany expression
« Reply #1700 on: June 15, 2018, 02:43:47 AM »
Oh hey, I've heard this story before!

'Wow, exciting new technology that could help save the planet and provide a new source of energy!'
*legislation blocked at all turns by oil companies*
'How terrible, TECHNOLOGY has failed us.'

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: June 28, 2018, 01:54:23 AM »
https://www.buzzfeed.com/pascalemueller/guinevere-kauffmann-max-planck?utm_term=.kv7RM880Zm#.yw71rDDBQo

This sounds eerily like a synthesis of the different stories that I heard and experiences I saw and endured in graduate school. Science graduate school is a trap. It's all about egos and fuelling the machine of cheap labor.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: June 29, 2018, 09:13:48 AM »
Like all corporations are.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1703 on: June 29, 2018, 01:16:43 PM »
Excise the influence of capital from education.

Eat the rich.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1704 on: July 09, 2018, 10:53:53 PM »
http://www.dogwithdice.com/whitewolfaredead/

So it turns out that the dudes who took over White Wolf a few years ago are releasing a new edition of VtM... and it's basically a series of nazi dogwhistles.

Actually though I was wondering, I remember Metroid worked with White Wolf to develop a game for them at one point, but was that before the original company folded and the swedes bought them or early in their tenure?

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: July 10, 2018, 04:40:24 AM »
White Wolf publishing in general is weird.   White Wolf do the new WoD setting and stuff, but there is a branch of stuff with a bunch of people that used to work at White Wolf that have a license to publish stuff for old World of Darkness stuff called Onyx Path Publishing.   They on the other hand are apparently pretty damn cool and well worth watching.

So.... just be careful with stuff and check who is putting out the work if you are looking into it.  It is all over the shop.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: July 10, 2018, 05:27:21 AM »
White Wolf publishing in general is weird.   White Wolf do the new WoD setting and stuff, but there is a branch of stuff with a bunch of people that used to work at White Wolf that have a license to publish stuff for old World of Darkness stuff called Onyx Path Publishing.   They on the other hand are apparently pretty damn cool and well worth watching.

So.... just be careful with stuff and check who is putting out the work if you are looking into it.  It is all over the shop.

Yeah, they make that distinction in the article, but it's still kind of a thing.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: July 12, 2018, 04:41:31 PM »
It is all over the shop.

Beasts?!  All over the shop?!
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1708 on: July 12, 2018, 10:00:22 PM »
https://theslot.jezebel.com/alexandria-ocasio-cortezs-democratic-primary-opponent-w-1827540576

So the house Democrats should basically strip this dude of seniority and demand his resignation, but instead we're probably gonna tip one of the bluest districts in the country to whatever nazi the RNC sent in because he was deluded enough to think he could pull it off.  Because god forbid anyone over there try to rebuild bridges between the Democrats and the left, gotta burn the ashes harder and put one more nail in the coffin of humanity.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: July 12, 2018, 10:25:30 PM »
https://theslot.jezebel.com/alexandria-ocasio-cortezs-democratic-primary-opponent-w-1827540576

So the house Democrats should basically strip this dude of seniority and demand his resignation, but instead we're probably gonna tip one of the bluest districts in the country to whatever nazi the RNC sent in because he was deluded enough to think he could pull it off.  Because god forbid anyone over there try to rebuild bridges between the Democrats and the left, gotta burn the ashes harder and put one more nail in the coffin of humanity.

I know we've had our differences, but I agree with this 100%

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: July 13, 2018, 02:58:00 PM »
Wow, what a baby.  He better get over this temper tantrum pronto
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: August 28, 2018, 08:10:14 PM »
http://gothamist.com/2018/08/28/nycha_fidelio_sex_parties.php

Talk about being screwed by the government.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: November 02, 2018, 10:03:28 PM »
Following on the heels of the Double Dare oral history article is this gem:

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/disney-afternoon-oral-history-ducktales-darkwing-rescue-rangers

Fucking fantastic bit of nostalgia.

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: November 09, 2018, 12:43:29 AM »

I know we've had our differences, but I agree with this 100%

Neat!

Turns out Ocasio-Cortez got 78% of the vote, and Crowley a mere 6.6%. Is it the effect of party association? Good campaigning? Crowley's continual fuck ups? Who knows! But at least we don't have to think about him anymore, just the abstract concept of what-the-fuck-was-he-thinking.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: November 13, 2018, 02:58:16 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1roy4o4tqQM

Oh. My. God.

I am going to see this. Yes. In red seats with wine. It doesn't help that I crushed real real real hard on Justice Smith when watching the Get Down. Dude has a range of character voices.

Also. CUTE PIKACHU.  ;D

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1715 on: November 19, 2018, 02:07:19 PM »
https://medium.com/@cmdrking/a-nugget-of-nostalgia-a-look-at-dragon-quest-ix-728b8e537f11

Realized I never linked this on the boards for non-Discord people, so here's that.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1716 on: November 19, 2018, 10:03:21 PM »

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: November 23, 2018, 06:55:47 AM »
https://www.them.us/story/cis-trans-dating

Depressing numbers on the acceptance of trans people when it comes to dating.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1718 on: November 23, 2018, 10:12:15 AM »
Whoever did the data is a bit misleading really, since they counted the ‘would date trans people opposite their usual sexuality’ in the trans-accepting group. When, y’know. That implies they don’t think being trans is real, the LEAST accepting you can be.
(They do specify it as a separate percentage but leading with numbers that include them is bad form)

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: November 23, 2018, 03:01:18 PM »
Well, I think that's trans-accepting from their own perspective (I would have given them a different label, personally? 'people who claim to be willing to date trans people')? For me, it shows that a lot of people don't really 'get' what being trans is, even if they claim to.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 03:26:35 PM by Luther Lansfeld »

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: December 04, 2018, 10:43:41 PM »

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: December 19, 2018, 06:52:28 PM »
https://outline.com/YRacE5

Still, the prominence of commentary over news online and on cable news feels backward, and dangerously so. It is exactly our fealty to the crowd — to what other people are saying about the news, rather than the news itself — that makes us susceptible to misinformation.

"Fealty to the crowd" spoke deeply to my cynical soul.

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: December 22, 2018, 05:16:09 PM »

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1723 on: December 23, 2018, 06:22:37 PM »
Okay, did a big push and got another big game article written!  DQV tiem: https://medium.com/@cmdrking/dragon-quest-v-the-pitfalls-of-a-silent-protagonist-93d10172f06b

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: January 31, 2019, 03:14:29 PM »
I keep following the crumb trail of moderate, liberal and anarchistic Southerners whose cultural work was suppressed. It's because of my firm disbelief in the rest of the US's impression of the South, not to deny actual realities but to highlight just how unruly it is once you crack through the fog. This is a few sentences in to say, it's 2019, I'm back to what I call home in Atlanta, and I came across this May 2018 article about one of the area's underground weeklies, The Great Speckled Bird:

https://www.artsatl.org/atlanta-alternative-newspaper-the-great-speckled-bird-celebrates-50th-anniversary/

The story is fucking amazing. And I hope an alt-weekly replaces Creative Loafing, which is mostly hollow, but also that even more weeklies proliferate. The AJC in many regards is trash, and I don't only mean its conservative political leaning.

Atlanta Alternative Newspaper “The Great Speckled Bird” Celebrates Its 50th Anniversary
PATRICE WORTHYMAY 31, 2018
BOOKS
Fifty years ago, the first issue of Atlanta-based alternative newspaper The Great Speckled Bird went to print. One of 200 underground newspapers in the United States, The Bird, a cooperative news project, confronted issues of injustice plaguing the nation. But what began in 1968 as a weekly newspaper for marginalized views eventually became a movement in Midtown Atlanta until the publication closed its doors in 1976. 

In 2018, many of the same issues of racial justice, women’s rights, gay rights and war are once again at the forefront of political conversations. As staff members and writers of The Bird prepare for the 50th anniversary celebration on June 2, that irony isn’t lost on them. In fact, to Stephanie Coffin, cofounder of The Bird, it’s poetic justice. The group that brought life to the liberal movement in Atlanta now protests with a new generation of activists that have brought social justice into the mainstream.

“I go to almost all the marches, and I see a lot of Bird people whenever I go, because we’re still doing it,” says Coffin.

The Bird began as a black-and-white biweekly newspaper in March of 1968, and by July of the same year, it had grown into a weekly publication with its first color issue. Bob Goodman, a former writer for The Bird, says anybody who lived in Atlanta at the time knew about The Bird, because it introduced issues that weren’t popular in the South.

“The same issues would still be relevant today,” Goodman says. “It saddens me, but it doesn’t surprise me.”

A Radical Stance

What was often labeled “radical” in the State of Georgia was actually a message that was echoing all over the United States, even if few people were talking openly about such issues in Atlanta at the time. When the weekly was published, Coffin says it quickly became a voice for the antiwar movement. Many of the articles expressed concern over the Vietnam war, which Coffin says was not receiving proper coverage in the Atlanta Constitution. The name, The Great Speckled Bird, came from the title of a country-gospel tune made popular by musician Roy Acuff.

Bob Goodman, Stephanie Coffin and Bob Malone in the first office of The Great Speckled Bird on 14th Street
“We grew incredibly,” she says. By 1970, it was the third largest weekly newspaper in Georgia with a paid circulation of 22,000 copies. “It was a popular paper because the message we were putting out was all over the country. . . . We were the largest weekly in Georgia for a long time. We covered draft refusal because, at the time, there was a draft center on Ponce De Leon where Ponce City Market is now. We covered other issues the Atlanta Constitution wouldn’t cover, because it was a staid, conservative paper.”

The Bird began five years after the assassination of John F. Kennedy and in the same year as the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr. Popular Bird writer, coeditor and cofounder Gene Guerrero Jr. took offense to moderate liberals such as Atlanta Journal and Constitution editor Eugene Patterson and publisher of the Atlanta Constitution Ralph McGill (both of whom had won Pulitzer Prizes for their work) for using King’s message of nonviolence against angry protesters. He attacked their editorials in a dissent titled “the liberal (im)posture”: “King was a gentle man who spoke of love and nonviolence, but he spoke even more often of the deep sickness gripping this country,” Guerrero Jr. wrote.

In 1968, a new set of voices was rising up in the fight for equality. Stokely Carmichael, chairman of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee or SNCC, changed the strategy of the organization, departing from the nonviolent stance and coining the phrase “Black Power.” The Black Panther Party was forming chapters throughout the US, and even formed a chapter in Atlanta. Despite being a predominantly white staff, Coffin says The Bird supported the Black Panther Party because the 10-point program, with free breakfast for kids, was so progressive.

“The whole movement shifted in tenor,” says Coffin. “They had pictures with guns, and their black leather and their militancy was a whole shift from the ‘turn your other cheek’ of MLK. We supported the Black Panthers. We had Huey Newton on the cover and Angela Davis was on the cover, because we supported their efforts.”

The newspaper was central to organizing protests throughout Atlanta by publicizing activities of organizations like SNCC. But while blacks in Atlanta were working on dismantling years of racist policies, The Bird was supporting progressive issues such as legalization of marijuana, women’s rights and gay rights. Intersectionality among social justice groups was almost nonexistent, and Coffin says black people were primarily working on black issues.

“We covered black issues and black strikes as much as we could in solidarity, but our paper was not diverse,” Coffin says. “It wasn’t what we wanted, but it was something that was. The split between the black and white movement was white people worked in white organizations and black people worked in black organizations. This was the end of the MLK black and white people working together.” 

Politics as Usual

The views expressed in The Bird made the newspaper a target. Kids were arrested for selling the political rag and consistently harassed by local authorities. During its first four years, no one in Georgia dared print the paper. So the staff drove once a week to a printing press in Montgomery, Alabama, says Steve Wise, former editor of The Bird.

“People knew when we came out on Thursday morning,” he recalls. “People would come out and get the papers and they could sell right away. I would go to Georgia State and sell about 75 papers in an hour. Ralph McGill would walk by, and I would try to sell him the paper, and he would turn his nose up.”

Though it was a popular paper, there was little to no money being made, says Wise. The budget covered the expenses to print and distribute, and the staff was paid $3 a week. Most people volunteered to draw the cover art, write and handle administrative work. The hippies that hung out on 14th Street made money selling the paper, but it wasn’t enough to cover legal costs. Wise says the ACLU was a saving grace.

“The post office refused to deliver the paper because we had an advertisement for an abortion clinic, but the ACLU made them back down, so we didn’t have to go to court for that,” he says. “We couldn’t have done that without the support of the ACLU. They were very good. They supported us all the way through. Without their legal help, we would have been sunk.”

Wise says Fulton County, Dekalb County and Cobb County finally backed down and agreed to stop harassing the kids, but it took a while. Then on May 6, 1972, at 5 a.m, the office located at 240 Westminster St. at the north end of Piedmont Park was firebombed. Wise says he suspects Sam Massell, the first Jewish mayor of Atlanta and a Democrat, was behind the bombing. The bombing happened just days after The Bird published an exposé accusing Massell of turning a blind eye to corruption in the city, especially when it came to family members who owned property.

Massell denies bombing The Bird, claiming he read the newspaper. “If they were still here, I’d send them press releases,” Massell says. “I didn’t agree with them on everything and thought many times they were so far off, especially with the real estate option accusations. The area was inundated with hippies, and they ran a story accusing me of bringing hippies in the area to run down the value of the land so I could buy it at a lower price and make a big profit or something like that.”

Massell admits he had to manage the flower children and motorcycle gangs, and opened up a police precinct on 14th Street. However, he was against removing “the hippies and flower children” as long as they obeyed the law.
(Just my favorite tidbits section)