Author Topic: 2020 Miscellaneous Links: Untitled Moose Game  (Read 145615 times)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Miscellaneous Links: The Links Awaken
« Reply #1325 on: June 30, 2016, 02:39:28 PM »
Facebook is where you pretend your life is great to family and friends. Twitter is where you sling jokes and talk about how your life sucks to complete strangers.

Though, more seriously, besides that, Twitter's also a really good breaking news and general journalism hub.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 02:41:09 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: July 01, 2016, 01:00:50 AM »
http://prospect.org/article/how-hedge-funds-are-pillaging-puerto-rico

If there is evil in this world, it lurks in the hearts of man.

When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: July 01, 2016, 02:26:04 AM »
I will take "If there is evil in this world, it lurks in the hearts of man." for 500, Bob.

What is modern Imperialism?
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1328 on: July 02, 2016, 07:38:41 PM »
Facebook is where you pretend your life is great to family and friends. Twitter is where you sling jokes and talk about how your life sucks to complete strangers.

Though, more seriously, besides that, Twitter's also a really good breaking news and general journalism hub.

I could see that if you don't have direct wire access (like I do as a full-time newsman), I guess.  The impulse to use it to communicate with strangers baffles me.  I don't even talk about my life to people I know.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: July 03, 2016, 05:02:56 AM »
http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2016/06/con-vs-con.html

=| I hate it when great titles leer me into reading trash

https://www.amazon.com/Your-Tongue-Mouth-Kissing-Goodbye/dp/080214148X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466613270&sr=8-1&keywords=get+your+tongue+out+of+my+mouth

D=
Why go for the book, you know there's a country song by the same name right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6VmAQlysYE

Not news to MC (who responds on Twitter to, like, all of them), but RoboRosewater is still going, and it released a new favorite today.  Try to control yourself.

https://twitter.com/roborosewater/status/747502279939416064

(yes, it is actually possible to trigger the 2nd condition.  See: https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/4q50xi/roborosewater_troble_as_inita/ )
Oh hey, it's sadisticmystic explaining how to attack with it.  (sadisticmystic was my partner in crime for the "large finite combo" articles; he's still updating them last I checked).  He's pretty cool.

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: July 04, 2016, 09:18:02 PM »

Snow's totes right.

It's also a totally different way to experience moments real time with millions of posters. You literally elect in to streams and take what you will from it, shittalking for Germany's win or Kanye's Famous video fallout, watcher commentary of shows during commercials, etc. You have to be really strategic to where it doesn't just feel like a feed though.

Also,
http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/36678-how-lgbt-national-memorial-gets-it-wrong

Sooooooooooo, I'm cautious to even say I'm fairly skeptical about the critique of excluding POCs. That's sort of the easiest, lowest hanging fruit to go for. Had they been included, however, I'm more curious about how federal funding was orchestrated and who's holding the reigns. It's one thing to make something a national monument so that it doesn't not fall prey to changing landscapes, but it's another thing to do it and completely absent its diverse communities from staking their own voice into how to memorialize.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: July 05, 2016, 06:13:54 AM »
http://saint-arthur.tumblr.com/post/146680746144/riding-immortal-on-the-seeking-road

So I don't know how much people have been watching from the sideline to our Fallen London prattle, but essentially there is a storyline in the game that was all about destroying your character completely all in the name of something futile and mostly pointless.

It had an option that cost money that would permanently delete your character in a game where you otherwise cannot die.

It was removed from the game for about 3 years because it was only ever developed by the lead dev in his spare time.  It was pulled before anyone ever finished it.

That lead dev recently left the Failbetter Games after helping found it.  Like 2 weeks after that the storyline came back.

So, I don't think you need to be deeply invested in Fallen London to enjoy this story.  It is just an interesting tale in the history gaming (much like ZZZZ Best or stories of The Mitani in Eve Online).  Essentially it is an oral history of a living game from the point of view of someone who is deeeeply invested enough that the line between player and something more is pretty blurry.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: July 05, 2016, 08:53:49 AM »
So, I don't think you need to be deeply invested in Fallen London to enjoy this story.  It is just an interesting tale in the history gaming (much like ZZZZ Best or stories of The Mitani in Eve Online).  Essentially it is an oral history of a living game from the point of view of someone who is deeeeply invested enough that the line between player and something more is pretty blurry.

Not... necessarily. I'm not sure if it was the writing or something else, but I'm left mostly wondering what I just read. The Eve Online stuff was usually written pretty tightly after the fact, or the forum posts were chronological and also easy to follow. I'm not quite as aware of Fallen London as EVE, but I did at least play Sunless Sea some, but the details are a little impenetrable to the uninitiated.

Really brings to mind: Mr. Madison. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response did you express anything close to a rational thought. I award you no points, and may god have mercy on your soul.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: July 05, 2016, 10:08:48 AM »
I could of course just be wrong.  I am pretty invested in it now.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: July 05, 2016, 04:12:28 PM »
Interesting article.  The terminology involved is way too obtuse for nonplayers, though.  Or even for players who are not involved with that particular storyline.  I spent the morning researching it to make sense of the story; it is quite nice, as a thing that existed. 

It still doesn't go far enough to satisfy me. 

Mr Eaten content doesn’t (with one notable and deliberately absurd exception) ever cost Fate, because that would be too much like taking people’s money and then laughing at them –  but it does consume resources from the wider Fallen London game, and in Fallen London you can spend Fate to get resources. I could have taken the usual Mr Eaten line of ‘sorry, you were warned’ – but when money’s involved, even small amounts, things change. It would have seemed plainly dishonest to turn down the refund request.

So sayeth the lead dev in question, in the article about the suspension of the content.  And yet the very structure of the game is timebux, and there is no difference between Fate, resources, and actions in the end.  Time is money already.  I cannot find agreement with him on this matter.  In the end he took back the very premise of "no takebacks." 

I await the day when someone will do this for real.  The Carnival option was pretty cool, though.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1335 on: July 08, 2016, 02:01:43 PM »
For the record, I *play* Fallen London and had no idea what the writer was smoking.  (Guess it's "high level play" beyond my wimpy character.  I know Fenrir sent me a cat in a box, which then escaped and scratched me, but apparently there was a cat economy that wants to trade cats?  Okay then.)

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: July 09, 2016, 12:10:01 AM »
I understood very little of it as well.

-------------------------

NSFW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg0D1PpgCXs

Despite the time it takes to animate something, this video still manages to be current events.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: July 09, 2016, 08:52:32 AM »

Snow's totes right.

It's also a totally different way to experience moments real time with millions of posters. You literally elect in to streams and take what you will from it, shittalking for Germany's win or Kanye's Famous video fallout, watcher commentary of shows during commercials, etc. You have to be really strategic to where it doesn't just feel like a feed though.

Also,
http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/36678-how-lgbt-national-memorial-gets-it-wrong

Sooooooooooo, I'm cautious to even say I'm fairly skeptical about the critique of excluding POCs. That's sort of the easiest, lowest hanging fruit to go for. Had they been included, however, I'm more curious about how federal funding was orchestrated and who's holding the reigns. It's one thing to make something a national monument so that it doesn't not fall prey to changing landscapes, but it's another thing to do it and completely absent its diverse communities from staking their own voice into how to memorialize.

I don't know much about the memorial.  I do know slightly more about the historical drama based on Stonewall, and from what I've heard, it's super whitewashed, and ciswashed, and malewashed.  Like...my understanding was that the historical stonewall was primarily trans women of colour, and the movie is mostly white dudes.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: July 10, 2016, 08:53:39 AM »
Roland Emmerich only put people he wanted to fuck in the movie. If it was Bryan Singer directing, the bar would have been full of 13-year-old boys.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: July 13, 2016, 02:09:20 AM »
I cringed when I saw Texas in the link and was wondering what we did now.

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: July 19, 2016, 02:50:17 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4rRwCDeAVE

EVO concluded yesterday, and the most exciting top 8 by far was Guilty Gear.  Here's Kazunoko v. Ryon, best match IMO for your viewing pleasure.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: July 19, 2016, 08:48:20 AM »
I was on a podcast.  They just finished FF9 and asked me on to talk about a few different topics because I knew a lot about it, I guess.  Listen, if you want.

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: July 19, 2016, 07:03:59 PM »
Such an interesting voice!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: July 20, 2016, 10:59:10 PM »
Okay I give up on fighting against this "everything is happening in 2016" thing.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/07/third-eye-blind-trolled-the-hell-out-of-the-rnc.html?mid=twitter_vulture

Third Eye Blind were in the news again.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: July 20, 2016, 11:26:36 PM »
Stephen Jenkins is 17 kinds of asshole (I say that as someone who still loves the first two albums 3EB released) but if it isn't like he hides his opinions. That is pretty hilarious.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: July 21, 2016, 02:53:52 AM »
So he's the Andy Kaufman of being a shitsack?