Register

Author Topic: 2020 Miscellaneous Links: Untitled Moose Game  (Read 145592 times)

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Miscellaneous Links: The Links Awaken
« Reply #1300 on: June 17, 2016, 06:56:53 PM »

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: June 22, 2016, 05:18:50 PM »
http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2016/06/con-vs-con.html

=| I hate it when great titles leer me into reading trash

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1303 on: June 22, 2016, 09:19:42 PM »
Not so much trash as a manifesto.  Which is fine (fuck, I basically think it's more or less correct on all points), but not really useful to us.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: June 22, 2016, 10:32:39 PM »
Not worth the pixels it's written on.

Ho hum another author traffics in the language of outrage, hoping that they can shock their readers and get a few more clicks, by calling Obama a "corporate pimp."

Obama, the guy that the ultra rich on Wall Street genuinely despise because he said mean things about them, even while he was enacting policies that at worst save them from their own worst impulses.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: June 23, 2016, 03:46:23 AM »
yeah fuck that guy
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1307 on: June 23, 2016, 06:46:53 AM »
yeah fuck that guy

Mmm.  Any particular flaws in style that set you off, or just the general false equivalence problem?

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: June 23, 2016, 08:49:07 AM »
The joke was
Obama, the guy that the ultra rich on Wall Street genuinely despise because he said mean things about them, even while he was enacting policies that at worst save them from their own worst impulses.
yeah fuck that guy

An actual comment from me on the article would be that you saw all this in clearly in the streets in 2008.  If you are going to be pushing back on capitalism I think you should be reminding everyone about Occupy a whole lot more.  This is what happens when you even try.  You get defanged, you get mocked and you will get pushed away out of the public eye and most of all you will be forgotten.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1309 on: June 23, 2016, 09:03:12 AM »
Well that's the rub really.  Due to its slavish devotion to community and non-exclusion, they ended up having the exact opposite problem: nobody could effectively communicate what it was 'about' (no one wanted to "speak for others"), so the lesson the wider culture took from it is "they're a bunch of clueless hippies crying about nothing".  Sure, the powers that be did all in their power to highlight and exploit that issue, but no mistake, it was legitimately chronic within the movement.

What we're seeing now is branches thereof attempting to hijack the existing political apparatus in order to put some truth behind the words they've long spoken.  Seems to have gone badly.  Trying to raise a new political entity to do that work is even more doomed.  Actual capital-R Revolution is doomedest of all.  I think we'll have to invent something new and it frustrates me greatly I have no idea what that is.  Although I've gotten a bit off the original track there.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: June 23, 2016, 03:09:07 PM »
Yeah I don't see that as a media conspiracy so much as ineffective messaging - the media is a socially liberal bunch, and they still got hacked by Trump, whose rise is antithetical to their broader interests.  Media is as diffuse as it has ever been - the Breitbarts and HuffPos and TPMs and Mother Joneses of the world all command enough attention that their biggest stories can't be frozen out by the big networks (remember 47%?  Mother Jones).

Diffuse groups just have a lot of trouble with messaging.  I think BLM is doing better than Occupy, but there are just serious built-in challenges there (your fringe yahoos who commit violent acts, etc).

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1311 on: June 23, 2016, 03:36:03 PM »
BLM has the advantage of built in unity and 8 years of social media becoming more ingrained.  Even if the nuances of systemic bias can be lost, "stop killing us" is pretty straightforward.  And while BLM last I knew tries to avoid leaders, some voices on the ground became de facto spokespeople due to a series of factors in terms of Twitter etc. footprint so keeping the message clear is a much smaller issue.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1312 on: June 23, 2016, 07:44:00 PM »
Well that's the rub really.  Due to its slavish devotion to community and non-exclusion, they ended up having the exact opposite problem: nobody could effectively communicate what it was 'about' (no one wanted to "speak for others"), so the lesson the wider culture took from it is "they're a bunch of clueless hippies crying about nothing".  Sure, the powers that be did all in their power to highlight and exploit that issue, but no mistake, it was legitimately chronic within the movement.

It's almost like leadership and hierarchy are inherent components of an organized social movement in human society or something.

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: June 24, 2016, 12:09:55 AM »
Not so much trash as a manifesto.  Which is fine (fuck, I basically think it's more or less correct on all points), but not really useful to us.

Manifestos can also be trash.

What I found entirely non-recyclable out of that mess was the very easy scapegoat tactic of blaming a singular group within a system that swallows more than them. I also wouldn't fit a lot of the 90s and Clinton within any kind of liberalism. Neoliberalism is well and alive for decades, people still have a hard time recognizing/acknowledging it and just because liberals use it in everyday lingo doesn't make them entirely culpable. I could see someone writibg similarly about racism really being a systematic white problem, but it is nowhere near productive or useful or really valid to blame it on ze whites.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1314 on: June 24, 2016, 12:38:51 AM »
Eh, it's fair in a way.  Logic would go something like:

1. Forming substantial opposition movements is the first step to any successful change of systemic issues.
2. Leftists allowed said opposition movements to stay insignificant in favor of ignoring the problems out of fear for 20 years.
3. Therefor leftists bare a significant portion of the failure that lead to this point.

It's just not very useful.  Okay, yeah, the previous generation of progressives have shirked their responsibilities.  And had they lived up to them, we would have real, actionable solutions to our current problems in all likelihood.  But they didn't.  And now we have fascist candidates feasting upon the fallout of the endless bubble cycle of the economy.  Doing the thing they should have done 20 years ago now isn't going to solve that problem anymore.  And yelling at people about their failures isn't a solution. 

So I dunno.  I guess mostly I'm okay with someone just being angry for a little while, even if I'm disappointed at also advocating for non-solutions in a time-critical situation.

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: June 24, 2016, 02:48:51 AM »
I wouldn't even make it about fairness, but you repeat my point. It's not useful. Coalitions don't go anywhere if all they focus on is failure. And they certainly don't firm strong foundations from posturing.

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: June 27, 2016, 09:06:12 PM »
trending on my favorite thing on the internet, my black twitter feed
http://www.bet.com/video/betawards/2016/acceptance-speeches/jesse-williams-receives-humanitarian-award.html

He aint sayin nothing new, except for giving props to black females and our consistent support of "the black community." barely said since the 60s, yaaas lawd jesse

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: June 28, 2016, 04:45:37 AM »
Not news to MC (who responds on Twitter to, like, all of them), but RoboRosewater is still going, and it released a new favorite today.  Try to control yourself.

https://twitter.com/roborosewater/status/747502279939416064

(yes, it is actually possible to trigger the 2nd condition.  See: https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/4q50xi/roborosewater_troble_as_inita/ )

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: June 28, 2016, 05:06:40 AM »

Not the black twitter I'm used to.  https://www.reddit.com/r/BlackPeopleTwitter/

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: June 28, 2016, 06:08:45 AM »
Not news to MC (who responds on Twitter to, like, all of them), but RoboRosewater is still going, and it released a new favorite today.  Try to control yourself.

https://twitter.com/roborosewater/status/747502279939416064

(yes, it is actually possible to trigger the 2nd condition.  See: https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/4q50xi/roborosewater_troble_as_inita/ )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-HACqnzjCM

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: June 28, 2016, 01:28:26 PM »

Not the black twitter I'm used to.  https://www.reddit.com/r/BlackPeopleTwitter/

i dont just follow any blk person :p

CaptainK, do you have twitter? ill introduce you to blktwitter when being mary jane starts up again, or we could watch empire

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: June 28, 2016, 05:12:44 PM »
I do not know what most of those words mean.

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: June 29, 2016, 07:06:02 PM »
 :'(

do better!!

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1323 on: June 29, 2016, 11:22:31 PM »
I don't even get what twitter is for. It's like a worse Facebook or something?

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: June 29, 2016, 11:52:09 PM »
Requesting 4 Job Fiesta allocations, Shitposting or talking crap with friends.