Author Topic: 2020 Miscellaneous Links: Untitled Moose Game  (Read 145605 times)

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Miscellaneous Links: The Links Awaken
« Reply #1050 on: February 19, 2016, 07:53:24 AM »
This will never get old
Smash Bros Luigi beats every dlc lvel 9 character by doing nothing

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Is6taKZo010

Cloud for puny

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: February 19, 2016, 09:20:21 AM »
Smash AI not built to handle platforming/path finding and reliant on chasing opponent to handle that?

I guess if building bots to handle your core gameplay is kind of whatever.  Or is it an engagement range thing maybe?

K.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1052 on: February 19, 2016, 01:06:12 PM »
Somewhat. Most of it is that Level 9 AI is built to be hyper-aggressive and unpredictable, so it intentionally spaces its moves differently than would seem logical (I suppose to account for human unpredictability? It ends up working fairly well in practice, especially in one-on-one matches). Level 8s act a lot more like one would expect a mind-reading (input-reading?) computer would, and are much harder in some ways. At least, that's how it worked in melee, I haven't studied up much on Brawl or WiiU's AI, but just anecdotally it doesn't feel that changed?

It's still nice to see that Luigi can win as long as he doesn't try.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: February 19, 2016, 03:27:44 PM »
The last match isn't very impressive because a quirk of how scoring works ensures that Luigi is almost certain to "win". (Friendly fire is on, and the game penalises you for killing your own teammates, and the CPU team has loads of teammates...)

The rest are pretty funny.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: February 19, 2016, 03:49:58 PM »
Yeah I think the last match would result in a Luigi win 99% of the time
Still pretty funny to see Luigi win by doing nothing against everybody else, together, with no handicap and max AI. Just another pretty big flaw in Smash Bros AI (it acts the same whether friendly fire is on or not, I guess)

The best has to be vs Ryu. What a loser

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: February 19, 2016, 06:11:28 PM »
Since there might be some interest here: Trion just pushed our new game, Atlas Reactor, to alpha. https://www.atlasreactorgame.com/en/

Game is a turn-based, team, simultaneous action SRPG. It's got kind of an XCom meets MOBA vibe to it. I actually dig it quite a bit, and really hope it keeps improving.

I've got a trio of spare Alpha Keys, so if anyone is interested in trying it out and giving feedback, lemme know.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 06:46:24 PM by AndrewRogue »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: February 19, 2016, 09:43:45 PM »
Game is a turn-based, team, simultaneous action SRPG. It's got kind of an XCom meets MOBA vibe to it. I actually dig it quite a bit, and really hope it keeps improving.

You don't have to bait me into arguing and having make up sexnifnyou want it rough.

Jokes aside, what level of detail are we talking here.  Is this Frozen Synapse level where it is micro controlling everything or is it more lightweight like X-Com?

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: February 19, 2016, 10:09:37 PM »

You don't have to bait me into arguing and having make up sexnifnyou want it rough.

Jokes aside, what level of detail are we talking here.  Is this Frozen Synapse level where it is micro controlling everything or is it more lightweight like X-Com?

X-Com level.

4v4. Each player controls one Freelancer. Each Freelancer has 5 unique abilities (3 of which are cooldown gated, 1 which is an ultimate and takes time to build up to), as well as 3 common catalysts (which breakdown into a buff, teleport, and misc ability - chosen before match). Movement is all grid based with fog of war stuff. Games are basically team deathmatch (first to X kills or most kills after X rounds). Freelancer abilities can be customized using mods that provided small bonuses that may alter how abilities function. (1 per ability - chosen before match)

Phase breakdown is Prep (buffs and such) -> Dash (specialized movement abilities) -> Blast (most normal actions resolve here) -> Movement, so the game focuses a lot on predictive actions. Don't spend your 5 turn cooldown on a dude who is gonna dash out of the way, etc.

Math is all straightforward. Ability does X damage, so it does X damage, only modded by something like cover or the Tough buff.

So yeah. Choose movement, choose action/s in-game basically.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: February 26, 2016, 09:27:32 PM »
I'm a little late on this but the schadenfreude re: Jeb Bush has been incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yHckRTkcZg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O74XDI-o7xc

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: February 27, 2016, 01:46:06 PM »

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: February 27, 2016, 04:51:53 PM »
http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/02/single-ladies-friendship-romantic-fraught.html?mid=facebook_thecutblog

My friend shared this article on Facebook. I'm seeing a lot of articles about friendship this year, and this one doesn't take the cake. I'm uncomfortable with defining friendship only through the lens of being a cis female, but it does give pause. Some questions I have for the author are: where is friendship in marriage; has, or how, has marriage in queer communities affected the deep bonds of friendship heterosexual friends aren't typically known for?

My friendships have bordered on the romantic, a deep nonsexual connection, and I'd say that I don't use friend loosely myself. I don't attach myself or emotionally to a flake. And I'm sure it speaks to my character, but I've done a good job of forgetting people and lightening my psychic baggage.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1061 on: February 27, 2016, 06:55:38 PM »
I more got the implication that folks in relationships tend to be the only (remaining) close friend of the other, but with all the extra baggage of relationships so it's can be less fulfilling.
Men just aren't really socialized to accept emotional intimacy among male friends, so the level of trust required for it to happen tends to be much, much higher.  Which honestly probably contributes to the first thing; by any definition aside from "people I hang out and have good times with", single men don't generally have friends, and that emotional burden gets dumped on their significant others.  Goddamned patriarchy.

Granted I'm probably not the best person to evaluate here, since any time I have any remotely close friendship I instead crush hard on them, which I then get self-conscious about and instead put deliberate distance back in there until it's manageable.  Yay malformed coping mechanisms.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1062 on: February 28, 2016, 05:40:32 AM »
Considering the major location changes I've had in my life, my friends in the DL have been more constant than any people real life, up to and including many of my own family members. Daily interaction online tends to trump whatever real-world outings I've had with the transients in my life. It's easier to be honest and open with people I've been friends with longer (even my favorite assholes like Zenny <3), so I wouldn't worry about a lack of friendship, CK, you'll always have us~

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: February 28, 2016, 02:01:35 PM »
Not to mention you've shared a bed with me already CK, so you've got intimacy covered in the DL also.

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: February 28, 2016, 02:18:15 PM »
I more got the implication that folks in relationships tend to be the only (remaining) close friend of the other, but with all the extra baggage of relationships.

See, I got the perspective that friend didn't necessarily mean proximity and doing things togethe, so pairs approach relationships through obligations and not wlllfull timesharing like platonic friends. But it would make sense, because the author is arguing for accessibility.

I am no expert either, just a person who's gotten over the need to crave consistent physical interaction like the writer. I mean, she leaves out avenues like what Djinn shares, Skype, etc. But you are onto something about hetero white men because there's this idea that they have the fewest friends. I am uncomfortable accepting that, too.

Trust is kinda like, the thing women friends claw each other's eyes out over.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: February 28, 2016, 02:36:59 PM »
since any time I have any remotely close friendship I instead crush hard on them
*moves in for the kill*

We will always be close friends CK-bo.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: February 28, 2016, 05:20:22 PM »

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: March 03, 2016, 09:46:38 AM »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: March 03, 2016, 10:30:49 AM »
Is it a mirror?

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: March 03, 2016, 10:33:38 AM »
Is it a mirror?

Like I say to your Mom all the time: that was a low blow.

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: March 10, 2016, 01:50:10 PM »
http://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2016/03/campus-carry-anxiety-age/472920/

If you're not hip to current public uni horror, UT Austin (HOOK EM) set the stage for concealed carry on public universities. Texas is so big is sets a lot of shitty standards later adopted by other states.

Blah blah blah we can protect "you" blah blah blah most suicides on campuses occur with guns blah blah blah gun use safety courses means people are safe blah blah blah

What gets my gullet, ya'll, is that private universities are free to opt out of SB11, whereas public universities and thus their demographics within, have absolutely no agency over their public spaces, shout out to Rice who just opted out in Houston, or just 9 minutes away from UT, St. Edwards  http://kxan.com/2016/01/19/st-edwards-university-announces-opting-out-of-campus-carry/ !!

And now GA is allowing for campus carry, GA, which has even greater disparities in education and acccesssssssssssss  and my goooood I'm going back to Atlanta but I feel like my academic pathway has followed stupid shit, from unis and sugar babies, hangings of POC faculty, Boston Marathon to this shit. i want to be somewhere that's not in the news.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: March 11, 2016, 01:24:11 AM »
i want to be somewhere that's not in the news.

Idaho. ::Nods::

dunie

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: March 12, 2016, 04:04:29 AM »
what the spud yoo tal'm bout????

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: March 13, 2016, 07:09:13 PM »
Canada almost never makes the American news.  Except when the Toronto mayor smoked crack, so avoid Toronto.  Anywhere else, tho, and you'd be in good shape.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: March 14, 2016, 12:44:32 AM »
Sometimes it makes news for cities rating high in livability.

You could also try Australia where our gun crime rates are so low that the last news article with Shot I could find on it was over a week ago wooooo!