Register

Author Topic: 2020 Miscellaneous Links: Untitled Moose Game  (Read 145582 times)

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 Miscellaneous Links: Cat pictures go here
« Reply #1000 on: January 16, 2016, 09:08:29 PM »
I think that is true, but it goes back to the idea that someone may not be in the target audience. All of the marketing about the game is very explicit about what it's about, so it not blindsiding anybody. For those who look for entertainment or escapism from film, books, games, etc, things like this very clearly won't fulfill those requirements, so it seems like the easiest thing to do is to ignore it. What's getting me is that people are coming out of the woodwork to comment on it and some question its right to exist, and I think this may be specific to video games right now since no one would think twice about this subject matter if it appeared in a book or a TV show. To put it another way, if the creators of this game covered the same material by writing a book or making a documentary about it, I think fewer people make these accusations that they're monetizing tragedy or that it should never have been made (or maybe I'm being naive). But loss and death have been grappled with more in those media and not so much in the video game space, so maybe that's it?

I guess at a baser level, if you want you're looking for is escapism/entertainment, there is generally enough stuff out there that fits that bill. The existence of this game or other things that don't fit in that bubble doesn't affect any of the other stuff that's actually out there, so what is the problem? I think the same type of people got angry at the praise Gone Home got, so I don't think it's just the difficulty of struggling with loss and disease.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: January 16, 2016, 09:49:19 PM »
I've seen people call it "Gone Homo" on this very forum I told you to avoid

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: January 17, 2016, 11:29:47 PM »
The Animorphs run on AGDQ 2016 is fun. Highly recommended.

Animorphs is some terrible gameboy color Pokemon clone that's heavily RNG dependant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFuYa99d0Cs

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: January 18, 2016, 06:00:57 PM »
I think the same type of people got angry at the praise Gone Home got, so I don't think it's just the difficulty of struggling with loss and disease.

I agree.  I think their sense of space and sense of entitlement stretches out to the whole sphere of videogames, so it's really not a matter of having played the game or not.  It's the same reaction, but when the presence disrupting their mental space is cancer, loss, real-life unfairness and death...I try to be a little more understanding than when it's WIMMIN IN OUR VIDJAGAMES.  Even if it's the same people.

ERMAGERD! FIMINISTS!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 06:07:32 PM by NotMiki »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #1004 on: January 19, 2016, 08:21:52 PM »
People who have heavily invested themselves into something they passively consume get mad when it changes, because they don't have other things to fall back on.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: January 20, 2016, 06:01:42 AM »
People who have heavily invested themselves into something they passively consume get mad when it changes, because they don't have other things to fall back on.

What is super going to do when the DL goes away?

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Miscellaneous Links: The Links Awaken
« Reply #1006 on: January 20, 2016, 11:37:27 AM »
Same thing I always do, abuse everyone within arm's length.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: January 20, 2016, 11:41:48 AM »
Let's be real here, your junk is no where near as long as your arms.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: January 21, 2016, 12:41:07 AM »

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: January 21, 2016, 02:05:55 AM »

What is super going to do when the DL goes away?

The DL proper already went away and most of the group members are still here from that time, so I think he'll be okay for a while longer.
...into the nightfall.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: January 21, 2016, 02:52:14 AM »

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: January 28, 2016, 09:46:34 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/gds/Top-10-Best-Magic-The-Gathering-Cards-/10000000204787157/g.html

With a little knowledge of the most acclaimed cards, you too can become invincible.  And probably have really boring games against other players with this knowledge since you both have Platinum Angel-esque invincibility.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1013 on: January 29, 2016, 12:41:40 AM »
Read through the list of Magic cards, sounded reasonable enough. Then took a peek at the comments and they all seemed to think that the author had no idea what he's talking about. Since I've never played Magic seriously, and I literally haven't played a game this millenium, I couldn't judge one way or the other. Kinda curious what MC would say are the "top ten" broken/best/useful Magic cards.

I personally thought the list was fine, but perhaps that's because all the broken effects of these cards are -very- easy to understand without extensive metagame/tournament-level knowledge?

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: January 29, 2016, 01:15:51 AM »
Quite a number of the cards on that list are super-broken (it includes the three most broken members of the Power Nine). I gather some of the ones I'm less familiar with may not be (I'm very skeptical about anything with a mana cost of WWUUBBRRGG in particular).

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: January 29, 2016, 01:25:51 AM »
Quite a number of the cards on that list are super-broken (it includes the three most broken members of the Power Nine). I gather some of the ones I'm less familiar with may not be (I'm very skeptical about anything with a mana cost of WWUUBBRRGG in particular).

To be fair, I think you don't play Progenitus legit. He's part of the backbone of Sneak and Show, for example.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: January 29, 2016, 01:41:58 AM »
Sol Ring~

You better believe I abused the hell out of that one. Rest were before or after my time though. (Black Lotus and Time Walk were things you'd see securely behind shop counters for like fifty bucks. Oh 1994!)

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: January 29, 2016, 03:53:18 AM »
Some of the entries on the list are fine ("best" lists are notoriously subjective, and for an eBay list, I don't have a problem with listing some on "volume of trade" rather than sheer power since the Power Nine are quite rare).  The problem is that the ability to explain why the card is good ranges from "I get what you're saying but your terminology is off" to "complete gobbledygook" to Magic veterans, even if translated away from some of the odder "maybe not a native English speaker" phrasings.  Progenitus for example isn't close to a defensive card; it got *some* play, sure, but you cheat it out early and it ends the game quickly since it's 10/10.  Mycosynth Lattice has nothing to do with Planeswalker loyalty counters and is more a goofy casual card (which, again, is okay for a "best of eBay list", but the phrasing suggests the writer never actually played with it).  For Time Walk, getting an extra turn isn't in any way some super-broken unstoppable ability; there are plenty of cards printed later that give you extra turns and they are just okay.  Time Walk is insanely undercosted get another turn.  The phrasings for what exactly Memory Jar & Strip Mine do are just off and misleading (you only get the mana OR the land destruction with strip mine.  Memory Jar is used IN combo decks, not against them, and there is counterplay to it.)  Vampiric Tutor, while commoner-but-worse than Demonic Tutor, also totally has counterplay available.

Imagine something like:
BEST FINAL FANTASY CHARACTERS

Yuna - Everyone loves Yuna.  She is the best.  With her summoned Guardian Forces nothing can stand against her.  She also gets guns and singing to obliterate any chance your enemies have.  A fan-favorite.

Cait Sith - With her unstoppable "Limit" attacks, you can crush your opponents every turn.  Roll the dice and watch an "Omnislash" obliterate your foes, and Sith can equip the best materia.  Sith was so good they were removed from the game in the sequel.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: January 29, 2016, 06:47:18 AM »
Rancor is #2

Fakken wut b_d

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: January 29, 2016, 07:36:17 AM »
List was better than I thought it would be upon clicking.  Black Lotus, Time Walk, Ancestral Recall, Sol Ring, and Strip Mine are all top 10 material, and while Vampiric Tutor is not (it's worse than Demonic Tutor for starters), it's at least in the right ballpark.  Even Memory Jar is not unreasonable to put in the top 50 or so.

Progenitus... well, it's not good anymore, but there WAS a period in time when it was the best creature ever printed and the go-to card for things that cheated into play.  Still not top 10 realistically, but maybe top 50 and not a terrible inclusion for a best-of list.  That lasted for... a little over one year, and then Rise of the Eldrazi was printed. 

Rancor is nowhere near the top, but it was a strong card that defined casual play for two relatively lengthy spans of time.

Mycosynth Lattice is some sort of joke.  This card has never been good anywhere, except for setting up bizarre theoretical rules problems.  (Get out Lattice, then March of the Machines, then Opalescence and Humility and...)

Randomly eyeballed top something or other for fun, look em up on magiccards.info :
- Ancestral Recall
- Sol Ring
- Black Lotus
- Library of Alexandria
- Mana Crypt
- Mox Sapphire, Jet, Ruby, Emerald, and Pearl
- Time Vault
- Tinker
- Time Walk
- Mana Drain
- Tolarian Academy
- Strip Mine
- Wasteland
- Mishra's Workshop
- Dark Ritual
- Lion's Eye Diamond
- Grim Monolith
- Demonic Tutor
- Vampiric Tutor (and Imperial Seal)
- Fastbond
- Channel
- The 10 "Fetch" Lands (Polluted Delta, Flooded Strand, Wooded Foothills etc.)
- The 10 Original Dual Lands (Underground Sea, Tundra, Savannah etc.)
- Brainstorm
- Gush
- Thoughtseize
- Treasure Cruise
- Dig Through Time
- Griselbrand
- Tendrils of Agony
- Mind's Desire
- Force of Will
- Lodestone Golem
- Fact or Fiction
- Gifts Ungiven
- Dread Return
- Delver of Secrets
- Young Pyromancer
- Monastery Mentor
- Pack Rat
- Jace, the Mind Sculptor
- Lightning Bolt
- Entomb
- Assorted "draw 7" effects: Timetwister, Time Spiral, Wheel of Fortune, Memory Jar. 
- Umezawa's Jitte
- Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
- Blightsteel Colossus
- Swords to Plowshares
- Sensei's Divining Top
- Ancient Tomb
- Liliana of the Veil
- Snapcaster Mage
- Mox Diamond
- Mind Twist
- Ponder
- Mental Misstep
... okay I'll stop

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: January 29, 2016, 09:03:05 AM »
I wish there was a way to bottle how fucking aggravating playing against Jitte felt so that it could be preserved.  It isn't the most broken card ever.  It isn't the most powerful I have played against even though Pre 4th is super rare down in Aus and I have only random spikes of play.

It is still absolutely the most infuriating experience.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: January 29, 2016, 01:54:53 PM »
http://www.siliconera.com/2016/01/29/heres-a-first-look-at-ramza-in-dissidia-final-fantasy/

Welcome to Dissidia Ramza.  I hope you get use to this new concept called "a nose."
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: January 29, 2016, 02:49:30 PM »
Mini dress and thigh highs?

A fucking classic look.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1023 on: January 30, 2016, 03:57:09 AM »
I just realized how much I want a "Fashionista Grefter" writeup on the Dissidia cast.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1024 on: January 30, 2016, 03:58:21 AM »
Imagine something like:
BEST FINAL FANTASY CHARACTERS

Yuna - Everyone loves Yuna.  She is the best.  With her summoned Guardian Forces nothing can stand against her.  She also gets guns and singing to obliterate any chance your enemies have.  A fan-favorite.

Cait Sith - With her unstoppable "Limit" attacks, you can crush your opponents every turn.  Roll the dice and watch an "Omnislash" obliterate your foes, and Sith can equip the best materia.  Sith was so good they were removed from the game in the sequel.

You win metaphors forever for this, by the way. I don't think anything has ever been this clearly explained to me in my life.