Register

Author Topic: 2020 Miscellaneous Links: Untitled Moose Game  (Read 145609 times)

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 Miscellaneous Links: Cat pictures go here
« Reply #475 on: March 14, 2015, 04:16:58 PM »
As far as standalone Discworld books go, I would actually strongly recommend Small Gods.

Non-Discworld books, Good Omens is absolutely a thing.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #476 on: March 15, 2015, 03:35:40 PM »
My personal favorites were always the Witches books. Seriously, I always wanted a grandmother that was as wise as Terry Pratchett's fictional characters.

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: March 15, 2015, 06:25:06 PM »
Cid is right on, as usual.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: March 20, 2015, 11:05:01 PM »
http://www.polygon.com/features/2015/3/20/8265139/final-fantasy-cid-fashion

Yes I am ripping my links straight from Ghazi.  This is what it looks like when actual professionals do some of my schtick and it is glorious.  So good at it.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: March 24, 2015, 02:33:07 AM »
http://kernelmag.dailydot.com/issue-sections/features-issue-sections/12228/mac-plus-modern-web/

Man decides to hook an oldschool Mac Plus from 1986 to the internet. Interesting and hilarious at the same time.

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: March 28, 2015, 02:12:04 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/28/us/politics/indiana-law-denounced-as-invitation-to-discriminate-against-gays.html

It is always a little shocking when a state passes a law that makes it shittier than even Tennessee.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: March 28, 2015, 02:14:11 AM »
Yeah I usually expect better of the Great Lake states.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #482 on: March 28, 2015, 02:52:21 AM »
Man we've got Detroit "Iconic Dystopian Imagery" Michigan.  Always lower those expectations.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 28, 2015, 04:22:20 PM »
Pretty cool analysis of the original Ghostbusters by moviebob:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPoILjs6BYI

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 28, 2015, 08:53:02 PM »
I disagree with his point about Peck near the end.  As someone who works in construction, I can tell you that federal oversight from the EPA and OSHA has long crossed over the line of Good Intentions->Making Things Way Too Difficult For Everyone.

Let me give you an example.  Most companies now require you to wear a safety harness when working over four feet off the ground*.  You know what a harness does for you at 4 feet off the ground?  Jack shit.  Harnesses stretch when they activate.  You need to be over 9 feet off the ground before a harness will save you.  So the net result is you're walking around with a harness on all the time that snags on things and trips you up.  The intention to make you more safe has actually made you less safe.

In that scene, Ghostbusters was ahead of its time.  Peck is following the letter of the law without taking time to actually think about whether the law is correct in this situation.

*The actual OSHA rule is 6 feet, but another part of OSHA says 4 feet in specific situations.  The resulting legalese is confusing and companies just say 4 feet everywhere to err on the side of not getting fined by OSHA.  Note that 6 feet is still functionally useless as far as making you safer.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 29, 2015, 04:14:43 AM »
You get to deal with harnesses at 4 feet because the regulators simply don't trust private industry when they say, "that's stupid."  Even though, as you point out, that's stupid!

tl;dr that's partially due to regulator paranoia, but also because private industry is the boy who cried wolf.

Federal agencies tend to look at requests of interested parties to lighten up on regulation with extreme suspicion.  They view companies as indifferent to negative externalities, no matter how horrible they might be.  Just look at the chemical composition of wastewater from fracking.  Haha of course you can't do that because although it's a virtual certainty that stuff in that wastewater is harmful to humans, they're not required to tell anyone what it is, and it's not in their best interests to do so.  We'll find out in 20 years when the cancer clusters crop up.

To compound that problem, humans have an optimism bias that means that without domineering government interference, they simply won't prepare adequately for disasters.  Look at the BP oil spill.  How much thought had BP put into how to seal a broken deep sea cap?  About 2 pages' worth (the literal size of their contingency plan) because EPA didn't force them to do more.  They had to jury rig equipment on the spot to quell the flow, and there was a very high chance that their solution could have blown out the whole well.  You might be wondering why they didn't spend more to prep since the oil spill quite predictably cost them a lot of money.  It's because they were stupidly optimistic and didn't consider a blowout to be much of a concern, even though the circumstances leading to it were easily predicted.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 29, 2015, 07:38:49 AM »
Oh OSHA and the EPA are definitely needed.  The number of workplace fatalities has dropped drastically since the 70s when OSHA came about.  But they've long passed the point of making things safer and just generally slow things down now.  Another reason so much US work is outsourced overseas.  It just takes too much time and money to do anything here.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 02, 2015, 04:59:47 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ooc2rD-M-Y8

SMT x Fire Emblem trailer

- Doesn't look like Fire Emblem
- Doesn't look like SMT
- I don't recognize any of these characters despite having played way too much SMT/FE
- ANIMUUUUUUU

good job

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: April 02, 2015, 05:11:31 PM »
That frankly looks like a Tales game set in modern Tokyo.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 02, 2015, 05:26:58 PM »
o.O I don't even know.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: April 02, 2015, 05:41:47 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VILgSsesD0 has never been more appropriate

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: April 02, 2015, 11:54:40 PM »
Yeah looks like a high school magical princess dating sim and why does that one lady go from clothed into her undies for no reason? I see none of Fire Emblem in that at all except maybe robot Pegasus Knights?

With the same logic I found a Dark Souls/Kirby crossover trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Skpu5HaVkOc

Anyway, here is a pretty good article on religion in the Dragon Age world.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/dragon-age-inquisition-and-the-mysteries-of-faith

I forget if I wrote about it in my posts on SJW Inquisition but one thing that I think it does well is to avoid the trope present in a lot of Japanese RPGs that religion is a front for a demon monster with tentacles that feeds on human strife or somesuch shit. The Chantry in Dragon Age has a lot of problems and the politics behind it are fully explored between several major characters in the game, with each player having a distinct viewpoint and direction for what the Chantry should be (how it should treat mages for instance) that is supported by their experience and life circumstances. It's never made explicit that the Maker even exists, while Elven gods certainly do, and one interesting aspect of all the characters is their relationship with religion. If your character is a Qunari, for instance, a lot of the Inquisition initially doesn't know how to take it, and other characters question you about religion and faith all the time and whether you believe whether you are what everyone thinks you are (the game in a lot of ways is about impostor syndrome).

Spoilers about something in the game that I think the article should have covered:
There's also a big scene after your home base is attacked and the Inquisition is scattered and on the brink of despair and your advisors are bickering with each other about what to do. One of the leaders of the Chantry starts to sing a hymn. The infighting gradually stops and everyone in the Inquisition joins in on the song. It is Magnolia-esque "Wise Up" esque and some players may take it as being really hokey but I think it demonstrates the hope that comes with being a person of faith, even (or especially) when all seems lost. You can play the Inquisitor can play the Richard Dawkins part and be steadfastly atheist and hostile to any implication that you are a religious figure but quite a lot of the game talks about the value of having belief, even if you are not the one believing.

So yeah. I have problems with SJW Inquisition but I think it handles religion in an interesting way.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 12:13:38 AM by The Duck »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: April 03, 2015, 12:56:03 AM »
Vin Diesel does look like Kirby a little.

SMT x Fire Emblem looks like Persona but without Persona characters?
The original trailer for this specifically only showed SMT1/2/3/4 characters and nothing Persona related.

This is probably a fine case of a game that went through development hell and radically changed about 6 times between the two trailers. - - From FE with SMT characters because that was the most sensible approach
- To FE with SMT characters in SMT world because Modern Tokyo
- To FE with Persona characters because they are more popular
- To Persona with FE characters because Persona
- To Persona with SMT and FE characters but no Persona characters because of a conflict with the Persona team which didn't want the Persona characters to be associated with a game that looked like a 37/100 on metacritic
- To Persona with no Persona characters vague FE references, because this one guy in the office had his vision of a crappy JRPG, and since it worked for Demon's Souls let's go, we have lost too much money at this point

For some reason I can appreciate Dragon Age storytelling but can't quite care about it at all

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 03, 2015, 05:36:32 AM »
37/100 on metacritic

You misspelled 'fucking fabulous/100'

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: April 03, 2015, 07:44:26 AM »
It looked like the FE characters from the new FE game?  Maybe they're trying to cross-promote.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: April 08, 2015, 11:48:58 PM »
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 09, 2015, 12:38:11 AM »
I disagree with his point about Peck near the end.  As someone who works in construction, I can tell you that federal oversight from the EPA and OSHA has long crossed over the line of Good Intentions->Making Things Way Too Difficult For Everyone.

Let me give you an example.  Most companies now require you to wear a safety harness when working over four feet off the ground*.  You know what a harness does for you at 4 feet off the ground?  Jack shit.  Harnesses stretch when they activate.  You need to be over 9 feet off the ground before a harness will save you.  So the net result is you're walking around with a harness on all the time that snags on things and trips you up.  The intention to make you more safe has actually made you less safe.

In that scene, Ghostbusters was ahead of its time.  Peck is following the letter of the law without taking time to actually think about whether the law is correct in this situation.

*The actual OSHA rule is 6 feet, but another part of OSHA says 4 feet in specific situations.  The resulting legalese is confusing and companies just say 4 feet everywhere to err on the side of not getting fined by OSHA.  Note that 6 feet is still functionally useless as far as making you safer.

Mortgage industry has plenty of this stuff too; what starts as a good idea about informing borrowers about different aspects of loan ends up with us sending a borrower 30 pages of documents to be signed, then the lender sending far more, and then they face two more rounds of document signing. Most of the forms are nigh completely useless and several of the important forms are flat out incomprehensible for borrowers without extreme knowledge (aka: none of them). In their attempt to give borrowers more info, the government has made it much, much harder for them to actually read it.
...into the nightfall.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 09, 2015, 05:28:43 AM »
Are you kidding?!  That smoke detector affidavit is crucial!!

All joking aside, some of the forms DO have a positive effect.  Not because they communicate anything but because they nudge the seller into compliance.  And sometimes that compliance actually means something, like with respect to lead disclosures.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 05:35:26 AM by NotMiki »

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 09, 2015, 05:42:47 AM »
There was discussion of color vision before, so here's a fun exercise. The point is to click the color not like the others. I've played five times and my average is around 27. My highest is 34, but sometimes I get stumped and have to start guessing depending on color. Certain shades of purple and dark blue trip me up (dark blue in particular can completely kill a run for me) moreso than others which subjectively tend to pop out a little more. Sometimes the popouts effects are really strong and other times you'll have a sense of the general direction of the oddball even though you don't necessarily consciously perceive the difference. I'd be interested in seeing how a color synesthete would do with this.

http://106.186.25.143/kuku-kube/en-3/
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 05:52:34 AM by The Duck »

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 09, 2015, 07:08:53 PM »
Are you kidding?!  That smoke detector affidavit is crucial!!

All joking aside, some of the forms DO have a positive effect.  Not because they communicate anything but because they nudge the seller into compliance.  And sometimes that compliance actually means something, like with respect to lead disclosures.

That's a whole different set of disclosures that we don't even see! I can't really speak to those. I meant...a form to note that our company will not be servicing your loan, a form to confirm that you get a copy of your appraisal, a form saying you can get homeownership counseling (on a refinance...), a form telling you that we can't discriminate, a form...telling you...who your main contact is (it's us, your mortgage broker. SURPRISE), and I could keep going on because there are many more worthless, but you get the idea.
...into the nightfall.