Author Topic: NBA 2010-2011  (Read 8301 times)

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
NBA 2010-2011
« on: October 20, 2010, 04:50:11 PM »
THE TIME IS NOW, Gents. With just a couple of weeks before the season, and the league (more or less) calmed down to the point where we've declared what teams are going into the season with, it's time for a fresh new NBA topic, and, because no one asked for it, my Analysis on the various teams heading into the season.

LET'S GET THIS PARTY STARTED!

Atlanta Hawks:
~The thing about Atlanta, is that they have plateaued. I think they've finally gotten past the point where they're a "Growing young team" and they have entered the point where they are a known commodity. They have the same essential core that they had before, and they re-signed Joe Johnson to a huge contract (a bit overpaying him) and are going to have to re-sign Al Horford, which means that super sixth man Jamaal Crawford is left as the odd man out at the end of the season. And this is a team that, while good in the old East, is going to drop off some as other teams up the anti. I still feel like they're going to make the playoffs, and do it fairly easily, but no one really thinks this is a championship contending team. And that's not a bad thing, per se. Atlanta's ownership group is pretty much continually embroiled in legal battles amongst itself, among other zaniness. From their perspective, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Winning a championship is simply not on Atlanta's agenda---Their goal is to field an exciting, competitive team and put butts in seats. Which is something they'll get when they have a perennial playoff team like the Hawks.

Boston Celtics:
~With the hubbub in Miami, people have been selling the Cs short, and though it pains me to admit it, this team is still really, really good. Top-to-bottom, it's well constructed, with one of the best starting lineups in the league----they'd probably be THE best starting lineup if Kendrick Perkins wasn't injured----and a very solid bench with some great contributors. It'll be interesting to see how the O'neals handle the duties that Perkins was taking care of, because, for all the shit I give the guy, Perk is a really great defender---probably more important to the Celtics' success than anyone on the team except Paul Pierce and Rajon Rondo. They also played the Lakers to a very close 7 games last season, so as near as I can tell, they're the best team in the East until someone beats them.

Charlotte Bobcats:
~There's little to say about the Bobcats at this point, because they haven't changed all that much since the previous season. They ejected Raymond Felton for DJ Augustin, but no coach in the history of the Bobcats has actually used Felton correctly, so it's hard to say if that'll lead to an improvement or a drop-off. I honestly haven't seen enough of Augustin to determine what kind of a player he is, so it strikes me that the 'cats are taking a bit of a risk here. I like them deciding to re-sign Tyrus Thomas during the off-season, because he's a player that is going to get shit from a lot of the press and draw a lot of ire, but he can still produce, especially on the defensive end of the ball, and he can have an exciting play, and that's the kind of player the Bobcats have. There's a bit of the Larry Brown "I'm going to collect players labled as 'troubled' by other coaches", and I think that this coach, this team, and this franchise are a good fit for what it needs----The Bobcats are too new and too backwater for any big-time players to want to go to, but if they collect enough solid pieces that other teams might stay away from, they just might get something going to get noticed. If the talent gets built up naturally, people will want to come and play. Right now, the Bobcats are one of the teams that will be competing for a low playoff spot in the East, and probably the one from last season most in danger of losing their previous position.

Chicago Bulls:
~Lost in the talks of the East is Chicago: a team that, without all that much fanfare, went and got Carlos Boozer in free agency after losing out to Miami for both LeBron James and Chris Bosh.  Chicago is a team that has very few holes as far as its construction. Almost the opposite of what they used to be, the Bulls have turned into a team with very little by way of perimeter scoring. They did, however, pick up Kyle Korver, who has proven time and again with bad perimeter teams, that he's very comfortable being the designated long ball guy. Derrick Rose has also proclaimed that he's improved his shooting, but like most claims by players, I'll believe it when I see it. I'm not entirely sure that the move to get Boozer will put the Bulls over the top, but they are a very strong team that did, in fact, just get quite a bit stronger. For my money, they're probably the fourth best team in the East now.

Cleveland Cavaliers:
~It's very easy to count the Cavs out after the departure of James, and by the metric of "could they win a championship", well, I'd be an idiot not to agree. But there's an awful lot of hyperbole about them suddenly being the worst team in the league, or the worst team in the East, or incapable of making the playoffs---and it's just that. Hyperbole. Actually, when you get right down to it, the Cavs weren't a particularly poorly constructed team---they just had a serious tendency to think short-term, which I think hurt them a bit. But if you look at the pieces that are still there, Jamison can play once he's adjusted to a system. Mo Williams can still play. Anderson Verajao will be a good contributor as long as he's never allowed to touch the ball. Hickson is actually quite a bit better than people may think----being the replacement to LeBron is going to be some awful big shoes to fill, and he's in no way capable of doing that, but the kid is athletic and talented and may surprise some people with the numbers that he's going to put up this season. Getting rid of Mike Brown is essential, because MAN OH MAN. Aside from defensive schemes, Mike Brown is just a really shitty coach.

Dallas Mavericks:
~Very possibly the deepest team in the league, although the Celtics or Blazers could definitely give them a run for their money in that regard. The Mavericks continue to frustrate me, as it's no secret that I'm a pretty huge Dallas fan. On paper, this might be the best team in the league, although Dirk and especially Jason Kidd aren't getting any younger. Really, though, having Brendan Haywood and Tyson Chandler makes for yet another two-headed monster at center, where both are very good defenders, and capable of putting the ball in the basket--provided you don't ask them to too often. Beaubois continuing to develop is important for this team, and assuming Shawn Marion and Caron Butler can play on the wings together, this is a team that, like every year, rightfully ought to be competing for a title, but often has difficulties making it past the first round. I just.... don't understand why.

Denver Nuggets:
~All right. I've pretty much had it with Carmelo Anthony. I gave him another chance, I stood up and admitted when he was finally starting to get it and become a better player internally, which is really where he needs to develop, because the skills are all there. But the guy is an asshole. Although he claims he never said anything about wanting to be traded, George Karl definitely talks about how he did, and if there's one thing George Karl is actually good for, it's telling shit like it is.  How someone can be on one of the better teams in the league and decide to say "You know what? I want to be traded to a contender" is beyond me. If he walks away like LeBron did, then I can't blame him---he doesn't owe anything to Denver. But the opposite is also true. Denver sure as shit doesn't owe him anything. His team is built VERY well from top to bottom, with guys like Martin and Nene up front being really nasty on the inside, and a bench with sparkplugs like Chris Anderson, who'll sometimes crush a team on defense and the glass, and JR Smith, who'll sometimes win a game by himself. Earth to Melo: YOU'RE ON A FUCKING CONTENDER. AND YOU CAN'T WIN. Maybe you don't deserve to win anything. You're too fucking young to be clamoring for a championship, you whiny little brat. Where the Nuggets go depends entirely on what happens with the Anthony situation.

Detroit Pistons:
~My pick for worst team in the league, at least in taking the long-view. I actually almost incited a local guy into a fist fight with me over this sentiment, in case you forgot what state I live in.  The Pistons are built comically bad, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Joe Dumars sacked fairly soon, because the last couple of years have reflected poorly on him, particularly last off-season. Two of their best (and highest paid) players play the same position. They drastically overpaid for Charlie Villanueva, who by all rights should be a lifetime bench player, but keeps finding his way into starting lineups. If T-Mac (did you know he was on the Pistons? YOU DO NOW!) comes back in any semblance, all he is is another shooting guard. The guy I got in an argument with was trying to say that Rodney Stuckey was the way of the future, and if that's the case, then I feel pretty goddamn bad for Detroit. I can't think of another team in the league that would happily start Stuckey. I used to say the Grizzlies would, but as it turns out, Mike Conley Jr. has actually been improving, so I'm not sure they would, either. Maybe Austin Daye turns out well, but that's about all they have going for them. Jonas Jerebko was a good pickup last year, but ruptured his achilles tendon, so that's one more solid piece the Pistons are missing. This is a team with no cap-space, aging and limited talent, a conflict of interest when it comes to the best players, and no future.

Golden State Warriors:
~Things are looking up for a team now that they have an entirely new front office and owner. They start things off by adding David Lee, which is actually pretty damn big news, because he's the sort of guy that the team needs. Steph Curry was amazing last year and looks to continue that trend after a more-than-solid performance with the USA Men's National Team. Monte Ellis is still really good, if a bit of a jackass, and Don Nelson is gone, which means less-visually exciting games, but probably a much greater shot of actually winning games in the long-term, because now guys who have actual size can see time on the court. The David Lee pickup is pretty darn huge for them, because he's actually really good. People say that when you're on a bad team, someone has to get the points and so on, but this is demonstrably false. When you're on a team with good players, it's easier to score and rebound and play effectively. When you look at a team like Miami, sure, I'd expect the scoring of Wade and LeBron to go down (I'd expect Bosh's scoring to -increase-), but their already monstrous efficiency is almost certainly going to improve from the lessened pressure on them. The Warriors are a better team than the Knicks were last year, so I'd expect David Lee to perform a little better, and he was already a damn good performer.  Where Golden State ends up depends on how much they improve on defense. They actually have half of defense down---they force more turnovers and get more steals than anyone. If they can get actual stops to compliment that, then they should be right back in the playoff race.

Houston Rockets:
~Yao claims he's healthy, but I'm not sure I can agree with that sentiment.  There's little to the Rockets this year that's particularly new. They have a great front office, they have a knack for surrounding their players with winning, capable talent that performs way above their level. The big difference is that this time around it's Kevin Martin and Yao Ming that need to stay healthy, instead of Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming.  Assuming Yao isn't as brittle this year, then there's a good chance they'll make some noise with this squad, but in the end, I half to think that we'll see more tragedy in Houston, which is just a shame, because they do so much right.

Indiana Pacers:
~This is a team that I think is on the rise, but after being disappointed by the Pacers time and again, I'm not going to declare them a serious playoff capable team. No, instead I think the Pacers are a team that is going to improve incrementally for the next few years, and then we'll see what happens. In events that surprised everyone, ALL of the Pacers' rookies seem like they'll become pretty solid basketball players one day, which is a big shot in the arm to a team that's low on talent. ...Actually, if I had to name a problem I had with the Pacers, it's that, as an organization, they have no gamble to them. Time and again, the Pacers pick the proven commodity over taking any semblance of a risk, and sometimes, that's exactly what you need to do. I think that they'll be happy with Collison as their new Point Guard, for instance. I do not think, however, that it's what you do when you're already at the bottom, where you have so little to lose. A really good team taking a big risk to get a little better is generally a pretty stupid move in my book, but if a BAD team takes a big risk to get better-----they don't exactly have much to feel too bad about. Also worth keeping track of is Tyler Hansborough's vertigo, which to me, is a really fucking scary "injury", if you could call it that. I'm worried that the kid has some kind of underlying medical condition that no one has recognized yet, and he's pretty much the top of my list of "Players who might die this year". After Jamaal Tinsley, it's nice to know that the Pacers are consistent in something.

LA Clippers:
~A sleeper team this year. It's easy to rule the Clippers out because, well, they're the Clippers, but people seem to forget that they have last year's number one draft pick, Blake Griffin, lurking around, and he's not only healthy, he's also been an absolute MONSTER in the pre-season, dropping averages of 17 and 12 with an efficiency rating that would put him in the top 10 of all players last season. He's paired up on the inside with Chris Kaman, who is one of the best Centers in the league, and Baron Davis is running the point. Davis got a lot of shit last season for not playing well enough, but he put up 15 points and 8 assists a game, and managed to play 75 games. He's not brittle anymore, and when he wants to be, he's still pretty much unguardable inside, because he's just so damn big compared to every other point guard in the league. Between the three of them, they can pound the ball relentlessly into the post and there's not a whole lot other teams can do about it. As insurance, they have the very capable shooter Eric Gordon floating around on the outside, willing to make teams pay for collapsing on the interior. This is a team that's ready for a playoff run RIGHT NOW, and on top of it, they have cap space. When I asked the guy I argued with about the Pistons who he thought had a worse long-term future, he said "The Clippers", and that was when I dropped the conversation because the dude just isn't paying attention to basketball.

LA Lakers:
~I'd talk at length about how this is a team that everyone's forgotten about somehow, despite the chance that they're the returning two-time champions, but actually, that's the narrative everyone ELSE is running with, which means it's completely false. Because people ARE still talking about the Lakers.  No, the real news is, there's no big stories surrounding the Lakers. And why should there be? They didn't DO anything in the off-season. They didn't need to. The Lakers, in my mind, are NBA champions until someone pries that trophy away from them. They are the best team in the league.

Memphis Grizzlies:
~Another team that is rising slowly.  Offensively, this team is damn good. And size-wise, they're pretty terrifying with a 1-2 punch of Marc Gasol and Zach Randolf. Randolf is a total headcase, but by accounts, has gotten somewhat better about it last year, and hey, he'll still give you a reliable (albeit crazy person) 20-10 a night, which is never something to sneeze at.  I usually like to give Mike Conley shit, and that's because he's not really good, but I look at his stats, and he's actually been improving incrementally over the past few seasons. He might just keep it up, especially as the rest of the guys grow and develop, too. They gave Rudy Gay a nice big pay-day, but he's a solid player, and no one in their right mind is going to come to Memphis anyway, so it's a good move for them, especially if they continue to improve from the inside----there's a little about what I said about the Bobcats coming into play here. You're not on the map until you put yourself on the map. I'm far from a Grizzlies fan, but I certainly respect what they're doing.

Miami Heat:
~Where do I begin?
OK, how is it that we're anointing this team NBA champions already, even though these same three players, surrounded by a much greater range of talent, couldn't beat the Greek national team a few years back? Could the 2006 Greek National team win the NBA championship?
I know, I know. It's not a fair argument. And hey, Boston recently put together 3 guys and totally won the championship, right?
Well, no. Boston had a great bench, and a starting lineup rounded out by Rajon Rondo and Kendrick Perkins----particularly the latter, for all that Rondo is way better on defense than Carlos Arroyo. For all the hype this team has around it, I honestly don't see how they plan on beating Boston or Orlando to take the East this year---And I'm not firmly sold on the idea that they're better than Chicago or Milwaukee, either.  They have absolutely no one on this team that can defend the post. Bosh won't. James won't. Their starting center, Joel Anthony, is athletic and big, but he's insanely raw, and a veteran big like Carlos Boozer, Dwight Howard, or Andrew Bogut is going to clown him into foul trouble REALLY quickly. They have some serious firepower and talent with Wade, Bosh, and James, but without anything protecting the inside, they're not going to beat the Magic, and they're CERTAINLY not going to beat the Lakers. So no, I don't really buy into the hype---at least in regards to this season.
THAT SAID, the long-term outlook for this team is absurdly good. The salaries of the big three (The biggest three? The HUGE three?) will keep some free agents away, but the Heat have the enviable position of being able to sign agents and draft picks ENTIRELY based on need----they can put themselves in "championship mode" right now with regards to building, and their three main pieces are so young, that it's not mortgaging their future----this IS their future. So while I don't think this is the year of the Heat, I think they'll have a hell of a coming out party, and that they'll quickly be the team to beat with a little finagling in the next couple of seasons.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyhow, I have to get to class, and "halfway" is as good a place to stop as any. I'll post the rest of my thoughts either later tonight or tomorrow.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
Re: NBA 2010-2011
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 02:52:22 AM »
Wooooooooooooo Miami!
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 11:17:14 PM »
All right! A couple of days later than I wanted, but let's do the other 15 teams and season predictions! Whooo!

Milwaukee Bucks:
~This is a team that is on the rise, and it shouldn't be particularly surprising. Andrew Bogut has been the second-best Center in the league for a while now, and Brandon Jennings seems pretty darn good, and I look for the guy to improve----when he played Euroball, he didn't exactly get all that many minutes, so I expect him to develop fairly quickly and to have his confidence soar, which so far, seems like it's happening. And while both John Salmons and Corey Maggette are fairly overrated, the Bucks know exactly what they're getting with the two, and personally, I kind of like teams like this---a bunch of guys who have a bit of a thing to prove. Their entire starting lineup is basically this way, so I expect the Bucks to play a little above their already competitive level. I'd look for them to compete for a 4 seed in the East with the likes of Miami and Chicago

Minnesota Timberwolves:
~Love him or hate him, Kevin Love is better than his detractors think, and it's kind of alarming to see how badly people think of him in some places (like Something Awful). Although, to be fair, he is the most blocked player in the NBA, so they have a decent point. The dude is undersized and not athletic. However he's got a nose for the ball like almost no one else, and frankly, sometimes that's the main thing a team needs. Otherwise, I'm not particularly sold on the wolves this year, but I continue to admire their GM and think that, yes, sometime fairly soon, the franchise will be turned around. But there are so many competitive teams in the West, I feel this team will underperform.

New Jersey Nets:
~I expect the Nets to improve quite a lot from last year, because it was a train-wreck for way more reasons than just "personnel". I was really against the firing of Lawrence Frank, who I felt was one of the better coaches in the league, and Jersey could do a lot worse than Adrian Johnson, who takes a bit more flack than he deserves. A nearly-brand-new coach "choking" a few times in the playoffs doesn't really surprise me, and I expect that when he finally gets there again, he'll show some chops. That said, it's pretty clear that the Nets won't be in the playoffs for a little while, but they may well be the most improved team from last season.

New Orleans Hornets:
~All indicators seem to point to this team steadily being on the decline, and I have to really wonder about a team that finally finds a suitable backup to Chris Paul after a long, torturous search, and then immediately trades him away. A lot of what the Hornets had going for them a few magic seasons ago is either getting old, getting unable to respond to what other teams throw at them now, or been traded. I do not really expect this team to seriously compete for a playoff spot, and their abysmal preseason doesn't exactly do much to bolster my hopes. It'll be interesting to see how the Chris Paul situation plays out, but at this point, unless the Hornets are willing to go above and beyond what a GM can reasonably be expected to do, then there's really no way they'll be a top team in the ultra-competitive West any time soon.

New York Knicks:
~Personally, I feel like changing David Lee into Amar"'"e is a step backward in more ways than one. While Stoudamire is a better finisher than Lee is, he's MUCH worse on the defensive end of the ball, and is a comically shitty rebounder for someone with his size and athleticism. Although it could be said that the Knicks need a bit more offense, and it's true that I expect Felton to be a huge upgrade over Chris Duhon at the point, there's not a lot to be said about a team with poor depth and a starting center who is an undrafted rookie.  Nonetheless, Amar'e should take some focus toward the inside, which will let good shooters like Gallinari and his ilk to get better looks. It's true that they MIGHT compete for a spot in the East, but I'd expect another team in the playoffs from last season... or one of the up-and-comers... to shit the bed for it to happen.

Oklahoma City Thunder:
~Durant and Westbrook continue to be absolutely bonkers, and it seems like the rest of the pieces are great compliments to the two of them.... as their core improves and as the team continues to gel, I see them going places, and they were already a pretty fabulous team last season, becoming an 8th seed, sure, but only at the last possible minute. Had the dice gone differently, they could have been high as second in the west last year, and who knows how that would have changed the playoffs?  I expect the Thunder to be a very dangerous team that many people fear, although I don't much respect this team when it comes to the defensive side of the ball. They should be a really fun team to watch, however.

Orlando Magic:
~For my money, the Magic are the better team in Florida, and it's really not close. To defeat the Magic in 7 games, you pretty much need an answer for Dwight Howard, and that answer has been "be capable of playing him straight up". As it stands, there's only two teams in the East that are capable of doing that, and Miami is definitely not one of them. Boston is one, as they proved with the brilliance of Kendrick Perkins last season, but unfortunately, he's injured, and we have no way of knowing when he'll be back or how effective he'll be this season AFTER he comes back. So really, that makes the only viable team in the East that can deal with the Magic the Bucks, as I expect Bogut could not only defend Howard, but be dominant against him with his superior passing and finesse game. So unless the Magic become very unlucky, they should be the team that emerges from the East, unless the Celtics can show that they don't need Perk as much. The Cs are probably the best team in the East when healthy, but they're not healthy right now.
Also, Orlando had the most impressive pre-season by far.

Philadelphia 76ers:
~Their young back-court is struggling to play together and their best player by far is still injured, and they lack the defensive internal presence of Sam Dalembert. I don't actually see Holiday becoming the really good player that many analysts do, so there's that. Turner MIGHT become really good, and seems like the kind of guy who would, but with such a dearth of talent on this team, it's really hard to see how anyone could elevate their teammates to anything they're not, already. I expect huge growing pains and this squad to be a bottom five team in the league. Maybe even a bottom 3 team.

Phoenix Suns:
~I don't expect them to hurt as much as they would otherwise from the lack of Amar'e Stoudamire, but unfortunately for the Suns, they were in the most competitive conference imaginable last season, and if anything, a few of the teams that DIDN'T make the playoffs managed to get even better. So while I expect them to be fairly dangerous, losing Amar'e very well might have taken them out of the playoff hunt. I'm not the biggest fan of Hedo Turkoglu, and a large part of that is because he needs to handle the ball to be effective---something that he's not going to do with Steve Nash around, and if they try to give the ball to Turk when Nash is on the bench, it should limit the effectiveness of Goran Dragic, who, before now, was developing rapidly. So in all, I expect this team to take a step backward, and that's sad, because I finally got around to liking Phoenix.

Portland TrailBlazers:
~They're actually STILL all dinged up from last year, and that'll be sometime tough for them to overcome. It's unknown who will actually be their center toward the end of the year, because two of the top contenders are on the injury list (actually, Marcus Camby might be, too, which would put Aldridge at Center and.... well, just mess up all the mojo.) This is a really good team with a truly excellent coach, but I think this is a really bad season to start from behind, which is what I think the Blazers are going to wind up doing. How they wind up all depends on what the final two months of the season are like, when everyone is (hopefully) back in uniform and playing at the level they're capable of. If things don't go their way, they could find their way in the lottery. If things DO, they might win their division.

Sacramento Kings:
~I feel like this team is improving at a steady pace, too. I think Tyreke Evans was a huge eye-opener last season, certainly for me, and I think that Cousins is going to come out and prove a lot of detractors of his wrong. I think that scouts and analysts put way too much meaning on the stat of body-fat percentage, because historically, if a dude can play, he can play. It's one thing for a player who is known to be at a certain weight to GET really fat (like Shaq), but for a player who starts that way.... well, sometimes that's just the way your body is. Charles Barkley was both fat AND short, and he's one of the best Power Forwards ever. For people who are fat now, you have Kevin Love, the best rebounder in the league, and Glenn Davis, who is arguably more effective for the Celtics than Kevin Garnett. (And certainly was in the playoffs, at least on defense). My official line on Cousins is that "Haters gonna hate" and I wouldn't be surprised if he challenges Blake Griffin for RotY.

San Antonio Spurs:
~They finally have Tiago Splitter, which ought to be a huge shot in the arm for a team that desperately needs an infusion of talent to go along with their aging vets. Another big plus that the Spurs have going for them this season is that they have a healthy Duncan, Ginobili, and Parker, for like, the first time since their last championship, which could spell a lot of trouble for other teams in the league. It'll be interesting to see what the Spurs decide to do with their personnel if it turns out that the pieces just don't work anymore, but for my money, I'd say that they probably still do. Unfortunately, unlike the Celtics, when the Spurs finally do fall apart, they're not going to have much left to rebuild with.

Toronto Raptors:
~This is a lot of people's pick for worst team in the league, and while it's easy to see why, I'm not yet convinced that they're worse than Detroit, Philadelphia, or New Jersey. With Chris Bosh gone, that's going to be an awful lot of pressure put on poor Andrea Bargnani, but I think he's capable of handling himself, because he actually has been gradually improving as time goes on. This has never been a very good defensive or rebounding team, and honestly, the addition of anyone who would be willing to play on that side of the ball will probably help them more than Chris Bosh ever did. Still, things are looking pretty bleak right now for the Raps, and I don't expect them to be even sniffing the playoffs when summer rolls around.

Utah Jazz:
~I'm not convinced that they'll miss Carlos Boozer, especially with the steady improvement of Paul Milsap, and Al Jefferson might be a straight upgrade ANYHOW. I am, however, sure they'll miss Kyle Korver, because the Jazz are a team that really sucks on the outside (despite Okur being a shooting big man and D-will being good at everything) I really like the addition of Raja Bell to this team. He can hit the three, but I'm not sure how they're going to spread the floor. It'll be interesting to see if the Jazz actually do slide backward, but really, I suspect they'll give the Thunder a race for who wins the division, and they'll be a second-tier playoff team just like they've been for the past several seasons. Kind of boring.

Washington Wizards:
~You know, a few years ago, I watched Andray Blatche and commented on how I thought he was going to develop into something. So I totally claim "called it" on that. Otherwise.... well, they'll get Gilbert Arenas back, which will win them a few games, and they've got an impressive young player in John Wall. This is a team I GUESS I could say is on the rise, but I don't think anyone seriously considers them to be in the hunt for the playoffs. I also don't suspect they'll beat out New Jersey or the Clippers for increased number of wins, so it's back to the lottery for them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TO SUMMARIZE:

East:

Top teams: Orlando, Boston
Very good teams: Miami, Chicago, Milwaukee
In the hunt: Atlanta, Charlotte, New York, Cleveland
Heading to the Lottery for sure: New Jersey, Indiana, Detroit, Philadelphia, Washington, Toronto

West:

Top teams: LA Lakers, Dallas
Very good teams: Utah, Oklahoma City
In the hunt: San Antonio, Portland, Phoenix, Golden State, Memphis, LA Clippers, Denver, Houston
Heading to the Lottery for sure: Sacramento, Minnesota, New Orleans
~~~~

PREDICTIONS:

East Champions: Orlando Magic
West Champions: LA Lakers
Champions: LA Lakers

MVP: Kevin Durant
Rookie of the Year: Blake Griffin
Defensive Player of the Year: Dwight howard
Sixth Man of the Year: Jason Terry
Most Improved Player: Darren Collison
Coach of the year: Scott Skiles
Best Name: Magnum Rolle
Best Cock: Greg Oden
Luckiest mother fucker: Sasha Vujacic

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 11:58:09 PM »
It sucks the Magic and Heat are in the same damn conference. it makes basketball the slipperiest of slopes (in sports) for me to cheer for.

Either team winning would be nice, but clearly the team with the most heat on them to win right now, and until they do win are Triama. I wonder how well they will do? Injuries are already a factor and the season hasn't even started!

I wish both these teams the best of luck in the long run! Go Florida teams!

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 05:00:03 AM »
I don't care how the season turns out, Boston has been blessed.

http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/thebuzz/2010/11/shaquille_o.html
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 06:36:27 AM »
As always, pulling for the Thunder. Secondary shout-out to the Clippers, but otherwise~
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 01:13:09 PM »
Boy, I hope the Sixers don't lose as many games to start the season as the Nets did last year!

Yes, that is all I'm hoping for out of this year.

Edit: 2010 is a success!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 12:46:27 PM by Shale »
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 06:08:14 AM »
Gee that Miami sure is impressive.  Only 8 teams with better records!

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 03:41:02 PM »
Gee there sure are a bunch of haters just waiting and hoping to see Miami fail aren't there?

I mean is everyone really going to say they suck after every loss they record?

Did Boston get looked down upon when they created the 1st big three? At least these guys are unselfish and were willign to take less money to try and win. That's saying a lot about their character.

The season is far from over, so lets compare records when they actually matter and not after every loss, m'kay?

~

Also, how about my Magic? One loss when they played pretty poorly against the Heat, but otherwise they are kicking all sorts of ass. Dwight Howard with a jump shot might be the key to their success this year.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 03:55:08 PM »
The season is far from over, so lets compare records when they actually matter and not after every loss, m'kay?

Well where's the fun in that?  This sports!  We're supposed to overreact to every little thing.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2010, 07:14:51 PM »
Nah, that's fair. I just enjoy being on the opposing end of debates. I figure there are two sides to this Heat team.

Either you are from Miami and a fan of the Heat. Those are the people who like the team. Some people who are fans of the game just want to see how they do as a unit.

or

You hate the Heat for trying to forge this team. These people consist of every other team in the NBA and their fans as well. They will harp on every single injury or loss the Heat collect throughout the year.

~

Obviously if you are not a fan of basketball you are probably part of neither group. I just want to see one of my Florida teams win the big one this year. Too bad in the NBA it's the only big sport where my Florida teams can not meet in the actual finals.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2010, 07:51:07 PM »
I know plenty of fans of basketball who don't really care about the Heat... I am decently apathetic about the Heat for all that I think LeBron's Decision is Grade A bullshit/low class.

Kilgamayan

• Celluloid Hero
  • Denizen
  • Never feels any pain, never really dies
    • View Profile
    • This is the state to which I have been reduced.
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2010, 08:26:42 PM »
I am decently apathetic about the Heat for all that I think LeBron's Decision is Grade A bullshit/low class.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvgD9HNTMkM

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2010, 10:18:23 PM »
The drama surrounding this is highly hilarious.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 07:44:06 AM »
I know plenty of fans of basketball who don't really care about the Heat... I am decently apathetic about the Heat for all that I think LeBron's Decision is Grade A bullshit/low class.

Of course there's no way that this could be possible because ESPN has been blowing smoke up LeBron's ass for years.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2010, 08:32:39 AM »
That just makes him pulling the race card that much more 'awesome'. People really cared about that last year when they kissed his ass relentlessly.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010, 09:02:50 AM »
I have a hard time sympathizing with someone calling for better treatment who makes at least seven figures, personally.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2010, 05:50:48 PM »
I don't think Heat hate is even that  complicated.  For me, it's very simple: they have LeBron, so I hate them.  I'm a Celtics fan, so I hate any team LeBron is on, whether he makes an ass of himself getting there or not.  That's just the natural order of things.  The only difficult question for me is whether I can continue to hate the James-less Cavaliers.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2010, 12:26:21 AM »
Why hate a team who hates themselves. In regards to LeBron I think he made the right choice by leaving Cleveland. Did you see the way that owner reacted? Even if he stayed that guy has that attitude inside.

You call him a quitter, ok. So why did you want him back? Obviously there is something else you are concerned with. The Cavs owner never cared about winning, he was just upset that his slave left him.

~

But yeah, I was like a Celtics fan for the one year they made their push. I liked Garnett when he was a Timberwolf. Pierce I thought was a great player, but was just playing with D level talent around him. I knew Allen was an amazing three point ace. I was happy to see them win, but afterward my feelings for that team changed, Garnett especially.

Kobe doesn't even act like how the Celtics do. Garnett thinks he is gods gift to the game, get over yourself. Pierce is the biggest pussy I have seen play basketball. That stunt where he was carted off in the wheelchair was hilarious. He does it so much, you have to believe its just an act, because it is. Allen, well Allen is fine, but man is his mom scary looking!

~

Fact of the matter is James is going to be like Dan Marino or Barry Sanders until he has a ring.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 03:40:58 PM »
I have a hard time sympathizing with someone calling for better treatment who makes at least seven figures, personally.

Eight.

Anyhow, the thing that shocks me about the Heat is they're playing dominant defense----not just grinding the pace of games to a halt (as can be expected of a Pat Reilly protege), but their per possession defense is best in the league---I know LeBron and Wade can be decent defenders when motivated, but I don't think Bosh has played an ounce of defense in his life. So I'm a bit surprised. There were a few things going on this season that I'm prepared to say I was clearly wrong about, but it's a bit early for another run down.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2010, 01:13:07 AM »
Hmm, LeBron compares himself to Randy Moss. I suspect the humor is lost on him.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2010, 07:32:13 AM »
Bad news never stops for Portland fans:

Brandon Roy has been diagnosed with an arthritic knee----He'll have to take an anti-inflammatory daily, doctors want him to play less than 35 minutes a game, and he'll pretty much be in pain for the rest of his life.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/11/13/brandon-roy-diagnosed-with-arthritic-knee/

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2010, 07:59:03 AM »
Time to kill someone.

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2010, 12:57:26 AM »
Next week's headline: Greg Oden does not, in the most technical sense of the word, have legs anymore.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.