Register

Author Topic: Anonymous Mafia Signups! (# of anonymous: 9)  (Read 1992 times)

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
Anonymous Mafia Signups! (# of anonymous: 9)
« on: May 06, 2008, 08:54:41 AM »
THIS GAME IS CURRENTLY SCHEDULED TO START ON MONDAY, 5/26, BARRING INSUFFICIENT INTEREST.

----

Fine I was convinced to try this. ;_;

Alright, here's the deal. The goal of this game is to provide an atmosphere where metagaming is at an extreme minimum, and you play as though you were dealing with a crowd of strangers.

No more saying "Man x is being scummy cuz he's not acting at all like he usually does!" or "y is scummy because y always does this when he is scum!" These and various others are the issues that I hope not to see come up in this game. Hopefully by creating an unbiased environment (or at least a good deal less biased than usual) we will have an environment closer to what Mafia is supposed to be played in.

To accomplish, I will pre-create accounts before the game and assign them to you in your role PM. You are to use these accounts to post in this game and only with these accounts.

Please log into these accounts using invisible mode as well (so no one tries to figure out who's who via looking at online board members).

I ask that anyone playing in this make a conscious effort to not sound like themselves in their posts. After so many years of reading each other's posts, you start being able to figure out (or at least guess) whose post it is without actually looking at the name (re: Meeple) and to do so would defeat the point of the setup. Feel free to be creative about this. Use the account name I give you to "get into character" as it were if it helps. Just don't get carried away and forget that this is Mafia and not Roleplay.

Also, account names will not be indicative of the role or alignment. At all. Don't think it will. Metagaming! Is! Bad!

Other things...

There will be no role madness. There will be roles. Possible roles in this game follows. Note that this does not mean all of the roles listed will be used, just that they could be. You will not see roles outside of the ones right here.
- Doctor. Town role. Can protect one person from being killed during night. Cannot self-protect. May or may not be able to protect the same person two nights in a row.
- Cop. Town role. Can investigate someone and get an alignment return (town or scum). Possible sanities: sane (gets proper result), insane (gets opposite result), naive (always gets town), paranoid (always gets scum).
- Vigilante. Town role. Can make one kill at night (optional). May or may not be one-shot.
- Watcher. Town role. Can designate someone to watch during night. If that person is targeted by anyone else with a night action (including a kill), learns identity of the targeter.
- Tracker. Town role. Can designate someone to watch during that night. If that person targets anyone else with a night action (including a kill), learns identity of the target.
- Miller. Town role. Returns scum on cop investigations. Always combined with another town role.
- Bulletproof. Town role. Immune to night kills.
- Freemasons. Town role. Able to converse with other freemasons outside of the thread about the game.
- Ghost. Town role. Can make 1 post during the day, 100 words or less, after being killed.
- Godfather. Scum role. Returns town on cop investigation. Loses this benefit if he goes on the kill at night.
- Roleblocker. Scum role. Can target someone and prevent them from having or using any of their role's powers for the night. Cannot do this if he goes on the kill at night.
- Rolecop. Scum role. Can investigate someone and get information on their role and its powers. Cannot do this if he goes on the kill at night.
- Silencer. Scum role. Targets someone at night; the next day that person 1) cannot post twice in a row and 2) can only do "##Vote", "##Unvote", or "##Unvote, ##Vote" in their posts. AKA no morse-code here. Cannot do this if he goes on the kill at night. NOTE: Faking silence will not result in modkill. Be vigilant!

Someone asked to clarify cop investigations, so here it is: paranoid and naive always get scum/town respectively on their investigations, even if the person they're investigating is oddball like miller or godfather. Insane will get the opposite result of what they'd normally get (so miller would return town and godfather would return scum).

Full flips will be given on death.

Rules in advance:
- No editing your posts.
- No talking outside the thread about the game, unless your role specifically states that you may.
- No posting under anything but your assigned account name. Be very careful that you post under your Mafia account and not your normal DL account; failing to do so, even by accident, will result in modkill.
- No posting during game nights.
- No spectator posts. Period.
- Don't directly quote your role PM. This will result in a modkill.
- Vote using ##Vote: name and ##Unvote: name (with the bold). I will ignore all other formats.
- PLAY TO WIN.
- There will be no third parties.
- There will be no extensions.
- LYLO and potential LYLO will be announced. There will be no time limit on LYLO days.
- There are roles in this game. This is a semi-open setup. See above for more information.
- There may or may not be 'scripted sequences' of events that change the rules of the game and things like that.
- Town must lynch. If there is a deadlock at deadline, sudden death will occur. (Sudden death means the first relevant vote or unvote will result in hammer.)
- All modkills will result in an instant end of the day. Modkills are bad for the game and potentially for both sides. Please don't make them happen. Read signup disclaimer many times.
- Day 1 will be 48 hours, future days will last 72 hours.

Target goal: 11 players. Would really like to hit this, 9 is my bare minimum. More is -always- welcome; heck I'd be happy running a large game, if I get enough signups, though I'm not holding my breath on this. >_> Should this somehow miraculously happen though, the above rules may change and I will post stating so.

SIGNUP DISCLAIMER: Please do not sign up in this game if you feel that real life circumstances may limit your ability to be online/post frequently, or that your interest may wane. I want to avoid modkills and replacements as much as possible and I have seen this issue rear its head a troubling number of times in the history of DL Mafia games. I would rather be safe than sorry. If you have any doubts about your ability to actively participate, please do not sign up. A smaller turnout of dedicated players is better than a larger one that ends up getting cropped down by modkills anyway.

----

To sign up, please PM me either on the forums or in IRC. Due to the game's nature all signups will, of course, be completely and totally anonymous. I will edit the thread topic as I get signups to keep count.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 09:37:01 PM by Laggy »
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Anonymous Mafia Signups! (# of anonymous: 8)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 05:32:29 AM »
Currently have 8 players, would do very well with 1-3 more! Blatant advertising and soliciting goes here!
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Anonymous Mafia Signups! (# of anonymous: 9)
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 07:50:45 PM »
Alright, a few additional points.

1) Start date moved to 5/26 (Monday) to accommodate some player(s).
2) Still looking for more people. It looks like I'm capped at 9 but getting two more would really be grand.
3) A distinct reminder to all players to make active efforts to change their post style and even their preferred tactics of play to make this game truly retain anonymity. When you are reading other people's posts, make all efforts to avoid "who is this really posting?" and instead take it at face value. Use the account names I'll be assigning to help establish a tone and loose "in character" identity to further mask your words, without getting carried away from genuine discussion or debate.

I will NOT be revealing the actual player's identity on flips, nor will I be telling anyone who is playing who for the entire duration of the game, until its conclusion (even those who have been lynched/killed). This is my way to best encourage keeping the spirit of the game in mind.

EDIT:
4) I am making this a requirement. All players MUST choose to log in with the "invisible" option (so that they do not display on the list of currently active users) for their Mafia accounts. This is to prevent people from second-guessing who's who by checking the activity list. Not that you should be trying to think like this anyway, but extra precautions never hurt.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 09:39:33 PM by Laggy »

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 02:28:28 AM »
Okay. Signups now locked. I will be sending out role PMs shortly. Confirm in a PM reply.

In the meanwhile, after some discussion with a few players, I want to articulate a few things to make sure everyone's on the same level:

- Scum do not play by the rules. By this I mean that scum have no real incentive NOT to try to use the player knowledge metagame to their advantage, if they can. Scum will know who each other are and may potentially use this to try to figure out who is who.

- Town has huge incentives to be anonymous in this game. If scum cannot figure out who they are even with the above stipulations, scum take huge risks by possibly assuming incorrectly and making mistakes in their play - this leads to a unique situation where scum's informational advantage can be used against them, if town plays its cards right and stays anonymous. Keeping away from town metagaming and retaining anonymity, of course, is also the spirit of the game.

- MAKE SURE YOU LOG INTO THE RIGHT ACCOUNT. >_> This bears mention once again. Modkills suck. Please don't make me use them due to a completely avoidable mistake!

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 12:26:18 AM »
All role PMs sent, please confirm with your anonymous accounts in PM. (Get in the habit of using them now!)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2008, 12:41:45 AM by Laggy »

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 06:18:54 PM »
Got all confirms. Game will begin in earnest on 5/26, Monday. Stay tuned!