imageRegister

Author Topic: RPGDL 2017 Season 1 Finals  (Read 657 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
RPGDL 2017 Season 1 Finals
« on: April 10, 2017, 12:12:24 AM »
Godlike

Reicher (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Airy (Bravely Default)

Heavy

Amon (Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II)

Middle

Izlude Tingel (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Chrom (Fire Emblem: Awakening)

Light

Tia (Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Andre (Shadow Hearts: Covenant)
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: RPGDL 2017 Season 1 Finals
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 12:25:58 AM »
Godlike

Reicher (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Airy (Bravely Default)- I'd like to vote Reicher because Airy is obnoxious in the DL, but I think she has too much damage and of the right type (magic) here.

Heavy

Amon (Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II)- Faster.  Amon wishes Jowy's damage was dark but no go there.

Middle

Izlude Tingel (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Chrom (Fire Emblem: Awakening)- Strong kneejerk that his tricks (Weapon break, jump, concentrate) are enough here.

Light

Tia (Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Andre (Shadow Hearts: Covenant)- Andre is weak to Aqua Attack to boot.

====

Upgrade/downgrade pools!

Isolde, Beowulf, Luca, Red Fiend

Hiro, Elly, Hrist, Vyse

Maya, Frog, Tharja, Ranger

Isolde: 4-0
Jowy: 2-1
Luca: 2-1
Beowulf: 1-3
Amon: 0-4

Unsure on Jowy/Luca. Isolde smashes. Beowulf's status isn't good enough against Luca or Jowy; he's near death by the time he gets a turn in both cases and even if silence hits, the next attack is going to be fatal. Beo can drain Amon to death easily at least. Luca kicks Amon's face in.

Vyse: 4-1 (Loss: Elly)
Hiro: 4-1 (Loss: Vyse)
Izlude: 3-2 (Loss: Vyse, Hiro)
Chrom: 2-3 (Loss: Vyse, Hiro, Izlude)
Elly: 1-4 (All but Vyse)
Hrist: 0-5

This field is entirely physical, which plays into Vyse's strengths perfectly. Counterstance into Cutlass Fury smash handles everyone but Elly, who can put Vyse to sleep (I don't think Counterstance gave status immunity offhand). Hiro blitzes down everyone else but Vyse. Counters from Izlude shut down Elly and Hrist; think Jump gives him an edge over Chrom. Counters let Chrom deal with Hrist and high enough damage lets him deal with Elly. Don't think Hrist can stop Elly from getting a turn.

Maya, Frog, Tharja, Ranger, Tia, Andre

Maya: 4-1 (Loss: Ranger)
Tharja: 4-1 (Loss: Maya)
Frog: 3-2 (Loss: Tharja, Maya)
Ranger: 3-2 (Loss: Frog, Tharja)
Tia: 1-4 (Loss: Frog, Maya, Tharja, Ranger)
Andre: 0-5

Most of these are fairly straight forward. Maya's shadow defense shuts down Tharja offhand; Ranger manages to blitz down. Rest get owned by defensive games. Tharja's draining/damage combo owns everyone else. Andre is swept  (Though he come depressingly close to beating Frog). Frog has enough durability to avoid a Ranger blitz, which means he should win.

Tia vs Frog is 17 kinds of special and shows why Tia (And Frog) have so many problems even with the skillset. She is embarassingly and completely owned by Frog Squash, she can't stop it from doing something ugly at low HP. Frog is using the freaking Hero Medal here; he wants to save MP for healing and his physical extends the pressure range. Tia can't buff her way out of trouble and status is out. She can't outlast either, as Frog can do damage for free with his physical. Aqua Attack also hits Frog's better defense and his innate water resistance, making it even more uphill. It's possible with the right turn order that she can avoid a fatal Frog Squash but man, there are a lot of things going against her here.  Frog is a status immune fighter who resists water, he should mop the floor with Tia. And this is still embarrassingly close. Good god.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 11:41:06 AM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 07:52:26 AM »
Godlike

Heavy

Amon (Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) - I do believe I see Amon's HP in that range where Hungry Friend OHKOing is plausible, so sure, let's get the scrubby boss gone.  e: and he's faster anyways so he doesn't even need the OHKO lol

Middle

Izlude Tingel (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Chrom (Fire Emblem: Awakening) - sure

Light

Tia (Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Andre (Shadow Hearts: Covenant) - Uh this might be interesting if you don't allow starting IP and respect Fake Ring?  Maybe?  Aqua Attack is an OHKO here though and it doesn't even have to be.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 01:17:40 AM by Random Consonant »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2017, 11:35:46 AM »
Jowy doesn't need a OHKO, he just needs to be faster, which he is. It's plausible Amon could survive a couple of Hungry Friends but I'm not giving captain scrublord that much HP credit.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2017, 07:23:46 PM »
Godlike

Heavy

Middle

Light

...into the nightfall.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 08:55:15 PM »
Reicher (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Airy (Bravely Default) - EDIT: by my scaling (Reicher has roughly 1.8x raw PC HP not counting his Chaos Shield clone, reduces mag damage by 42%), Airy actually misses the 2HKO even before Reicher's shield if she doesn't cast Acedia. This... is actually too much time, letting Reicher get two full turns alone lets him pump over 3x PC HP, let alone THREE. I don't think her Default => Brave string saves her either - HERE, his shield lets him avoid a 2HKO, which means Airy effectively wastes a turn by trying Acedia shenanigans. Airy's not quite ridiculous enough to survive to her third turn (she's about 3.4x PC HP to me), methinks, but that's a good fight.

Amon (Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) - I guess I can buy Jowy being faster. Lufia 2 endgame speed is a slightly more nebulous matter than simple DL-legal comparisons and it doesn't really favor the enemies.

Izlude Tingel (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Chrom (Fire Emblem: Awakening) - I think this is actually a similar matter to Karsh vs. Izlude? Izlude does thank his stars he can avoid Chrom's counters, at least.

Tia (Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Andre (Shadow Hearts: Covenant) - i guess

Upgrade/Downgrade Pools

Isolde, Jowy, Amon, Beowulf, Luca, Red Fiend

As before, abstaining on Red Fiend due to non-existant memory. This said, this is pretty straight-forward. Isolde > Jowy > Luca > Amon > Beowulf, all things said. Just different slugging levels at play. Isolde rips all the losers' skin to shreds, not much to see here. Jowy actually has quite a good showing: he owns Luca the same way he does Amon, i.e. faster 2HKO, and I'm very much not willing to give Beo's highly stat-check-reliant status a free pass against Jowy, who has a lot of the right stats here. Luca should be able to 2HKO Amon himself without eating a 2HKO, which is good, since he goes last. This said, Beo's Drain isn't really good enough to outpace either Amon's or Luca's offense due to its gravity-based effectiveness and imperfect accuracy, and he's sacrificing either HP or evade in order to wall the flame slashes in Luca's case (if he does neither, things get worse). Beo's just not really great against bosses.

Isolde: 4-0
Jowy: 3-1
Luca: 2-2
Amon: 1-3
Beowulf: 0-4

Hiro, Elly, Izlude, Chrom, Hrist, Vyse

Okay, let's do this. Hiro mulches Elly, Izlude and Chrom. I'm not sure -where- I peg his damage, but it should be -at least- above average, which should let him beat Izlude (Poe Sword is ranged and avoids counters, being comparable damage to his physical chain post-crit factoring). Elly and Chrom eat it to Dark Sword. Hrist... well, this one's more complicated. He may not 2HKO her, but she also may not 2HKO him back if she's blocking instant death... though petrify. Hiro comes with a blocker for that, then. I suppose the average of assumptions favor him there, he might still win if he doesn't block stone and she -dies- if she comes without ID protection. So, he sweeps. Elly... well, first I need to check if Chrom doubles her. If so, oh dear, that's not pretty. I'll get back to you on the rest of this pool.

Maya, Frog, Tharja, Ranger

see above

« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 03:07:41 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 04:17:27 AM »
Godlike

Reicher (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Airy (Bravely Default): This is pretty competitive and probably deserves a closer look than I currently have time for.

Heavy

Amon (Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II): Amon stats kinda nebulous, I'm not sure who is faster and I'm not sure if he survives a turn. Since he needs both calls to go his way and Jowy just needs one, I'm comfortable voting Jowy here.

Middle

Izlude Tingel (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Chrom (Fire Emblem: Awakening): Both have counters so that's a thing. Chrom probably gets 2HKOed here, Izlude... probably as well honestly. Whoever attacks first eats a counter and loses? Chrom's counter can miss (due to a shield), Izlude's counter can fail to activate, so that's rough parity. Neither wants to attack each other directly. Chrom can try to throw a javelin but that greatly weakens his own counter if he does; Izlude can respond by just hitting him and thus wins if he can survive Javelin x2 + Brave Sword. Izlude can otherwise wait until he can get a Jump off, although Chrom just reponds to that with healing... maybe? Izlude may just overpower at this point. I think it comes down to "is Javelin x2 + Brave Sword fatal". Does Izlude have 86% HP to me? Probably? I'm not sure. Leaning him though, may rethink this / I await more arguments.

Light

Tia (Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Andre (Shadow Hearts: Covenant): Andre may have a slight case with Fake Ring if it 2HKOs and disrupts her healing but I dunno, kneejerk is her anyway.

Solid set of finals honestly.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 10:38:54 PM »

Middle

uhhhh.  My FFT boss HP respect is not bad, but I also respect Aether which can tip a slightly more extended fight.  I take it jump even at range 1 (or against the rare counter-equipped gunner) doesn't provoke a counter?  Kind of assumed it would, which would possibly make this easier for Chrom if the AI is sufficiently dumb.

Light

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 12:59:47 AM »
Jump provokes counters in general, but Izlude's range-8 jump is longbow-like in range (notably, it outranges FFT's own bows, crossbows, and magic) so I wouldn't see it provoking a counter in this case. Pretty fair to hand the fight to Chrom based on AI concerns though, if you wanted.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2017, 02:05:55 AM »
Godlike

Heavy

Middle

Light

When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2017, 11:12:28 PM »
Huh, gotta count this up real quick, can't not know the champs for the next season!

Godlike

Reicher (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy)- i vs Airy (Bravely Default)- ii

Heavy

Amon (Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II)- iiiiiii

Middle

Izlude Tingel (Final Fantasy Tactics)- iiiiii vs Chrom (Fire Emblem: Awakening)

Light

Tia (Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals)- iiiiii vs Andre (Shadow Hearts: Covenant)- i
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.