Register

Author Topic: RPGDL 2017 Season 1, Week 3  (Read 1221 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
RPGDL 2017 Season 1, Week 3
« on: March 23, 2017, 10:53:09 PM »
Godlike

Reicher (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Heat (Digital Devil Saga 2)
Empyrea (Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King) vs Black Mage (Bravely Default)
Yuri Hyuga (Shadow Hearts Series) vs Jezuit (Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter)
Ryu (Breath of Fire IV) vs Airy (Bravely Default)

Heavy

Nina (Breath of Fire IV) vs Amon (Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals)
Mei-ling (SaGa Frontier) vs Cresselia (Pokémon)
Lyndis (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) vs Basilio (Fire Emblem: Awakening)
Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) vs Rydia (Final Fantasy IV)

Middle

Lightning Farron (Final Fantasy XIII) vs Karsh (Chrono Cross)
Izlude Tingel (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Gallows Carradine (Wild ARMs 3)
Raven (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) vs Chrom (Fire Emblem: Awakening)
Ennarcia Dysler (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Lilly Pendragon (Suikoden III)

Light

Alenia (Suikoden V) vs Irvine Kinneas (Final Fantasy VIII)
Tia (Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Leon D.S. Gehste (Star Ocean: The Second Story)
Randi (Secret of Mana) vs Marivel Armitage (Wild ARMs 2)
Andre (Shadow Hearts: Covenant) vs Menardi (Golden Sun)
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: RPGDL 2017 Season 1, Week 3
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 11:12:41 PM »
Empyrea (Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King) vs Black Mage (Bravely Default)
Well PC Darkness doesn't really exist in DQ8, but Empy immunes resists all DQ8 PC elements to my knowledge, so she might be seen as getting it anyway?  I suspect she wins if seen as resisting Dark and loses otherwise.
EDIT: But durr, BM is slower anyway, i r dum
Even with Zeta Flare out, Slaughter is really, REALLY unfair in a duel.  Those dragons are getting off one hit max before they die horribly.  Might still be interesting though?!
Edit: Sure I'll buy Elf underdog hype.

Heavy

Kneejerk.  I suspect Nina just kills too slowly here and is slower and has to eat some stat hits to immune confusion.
BOW FIGHT?!  Slightly above average defense for Basilio is worth double, though, so it's hard to see Lyn plinking him down fast enough.  Gonna take at least 6 bow shots, and even if Lyn dodges the occasional Brave Axe hit (no WTD vs. bows!), she still goes down pretty fast, especially if she eats an initial Bow counter.  As in, Bow Counter + axes on turn 1 might well win without evasion, and definitely wins on turn 2, which gives Lyn only 4 shots to win with.  She can YOLO Mani Katti and hope for a crit I guess?!
Edit: I was hilariously underrating Lyn's damage via misreading the stat topic.  She should definitely kill in 4 arrow plinks, so Basilio needs Killer Bow counter + 2x Brave Axe shots to both hit.
Doesn't resist darkness.

Middle

Heal into Odin at worst.
I presume.
Exalted Falchion heal spam should tip it.

Light

Alenia in the 2nd round.
Tia (Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Leon D.S. Gehste (Star Ocean: The Second Story)
Leon hits the wrong defense and arguably gets statused anyway.
Randi should 3HKO, Marivel has turn 3 ID and is slower.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 09:25:31 AM by SnowFire »

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 12:18:25 AM »
Godlike
Ryu (Breath of Fire IV) vs Airy (Bravely Default) - Acedia overwrites resists so Zeta Flare isn't out anyways.  Ryu might have an argument but I'm not seeing it right now.

Heavy

Nina (Breath of Fire IV) vs Amon (Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals) - Not really Nina's fight here.
Lyndis (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) vs Basilio (Fire Emblem: Awakening) - Uh Basilio can't hit Lyn half the time even without facing WTD and two brave axe hits aren't enough.  She's not doing worse than three-rounding herself since Basilio isn't -that- durable.  Not super convinced on Counter being complete suicide either, it's not like Basilio is going to be hitting much facing a -25 hit penalty on top of everything else.
Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) vs Rydia (Final Fantasy IV) - Boom.

Middle

Izlude Tingel (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Gallows Carradine (Wild ARMs 3) - uh
Ennarcia Dysler (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Lilly Pendragon (Suikoden III)

Light

Alenia (Suikoden V) vs Irvine Kinneas (Final Fantasy VIII) - It's Alenia.
Tia (Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Leon D.S. Gehste (Star Ocean: The Second Story) - Leon has nothing to work with here.
Randi (Secret of Mana) vs Marivel Armitage (Wild ARMs 2) - I guess?
Andre (Shadow Hearts: Covenant) vs Menardi (Golden Sun) - To quote Tide, Menardi is basically WA1o Harken, and I have enough respect for earlygame SH2 boss HP to see Andre beating that.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 07:29:10 AM by Random Consonant »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 12:19:51 AM »
Godlike

Reicher (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Heat (Digital Devil Saga 2)- Thinking the timed hit stuff overwhelms Heat's defenses.
Yuri Hyuga (Shadow Hearts Series) vs Jezuit (Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter)- Too much offense? Don't think Yuri can tank through a full Jezuit chain.
Ryu (Breath of Fire IV) vs Airy (Bravely Default)- E: Abstain for the moment, sure.
Heavy

Nina (Breath of Fire IV) vs Amon (Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals)- Physical's too good. Nina may not be OHKOed but it's not by much. She also has to block confuse (While L2 confuse isn't good, it landing instantly sinks Nina).
Lyndis (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) vs Basilio (Fire Emblem: Awakening)- Kneejerk.
Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) vs Rydia (Final Fantasy IV)- Jowy's damage is NE even if Rydia resisted darkness (She doesn't).

Middle

Lightning Farron (Final Fantasy XIII) vs Karsh (Chrono Cross)- I think Karsh can build into some kind of nasty combo, Light's healing isn't that good.
Izlude Tingel (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Gallows Carradine (Wild ARMs 3)- Weapon break is bad times here on top of the other issues Gallows has.
Raven (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) vs Chrom (Fire Emblem: Awakening)- No clue. I kneejerk Raven doubling but I know my  Chrom was pretty damn slow.

Light

Alenia (Suikoden V) vs Irvine Kinneas (Final Fantasy VIII)- Not even Irvine is pathetic enough to lose this.
Tia (Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Leon D.S. Gehste (Star Ocean: The Second Story)- Not sure Tia needs magic to win this fight. SO2 mages: pathetic.
Randi (Secret of Mana) vs Marivel Armitage (Wild ARMs 2)- Kneejerk?
Andre (Shadow Hearts: Covenant) vs Menardi (Golden Sun)- Better at everything but damage, dont' think the damage gap is big enough to matter here.    
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 12:30:45 AM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 12:29:01 AM »
Godlike

Yuri Hyuga (Shadow Hearts Series) vs Jezuit (Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter)  Oh holy hell why did Jezuit get in what the crap.   IIRC, he can't be so much as targeted while invisible, so I'm not sure if I can see focused MT hitting him either.  ...that's not counting if Jezuit kills first.

Heavy

Lyndis (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) vs Basilio (Fire Emblem: Awakening) Counter makes melee suicide against him, and a bowfight puts her outside of WTA.  Kneejerking this way, may research it later today.

Middle

Izlude Tingel (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Gallows Carradine (Wild ARMs 3) - Yeah, not sure I see Gallows winning this, period.
Raven (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) vs Chrom (Fire Emblem: Awakening) I don't respect Brave weapons as part of the average in Awakening, so Chrom's a good bit better on damage for me.  Also that infinite healing means he can possibly run Raven out of weapons if he doesn't just kill first.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 01:30:29 AM by Namagomi »
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2017, 01:58:40 AM »
Well PC Darkness doesn't really exist in DQ8, but Empy immunes all DQ8 PC elements to my knowledge, so she might be seen as getting it anyway?  I suspect she wins if seen as resisting Dark and loses otherwise.

This isn't even close to true...

Quote from: DQ8 stat topic
~50% reduction to fire, explosive, ~25% reduction to wind, ice, lightning

Granted, this does cover every DQ8 element except Grapple and Troop so if you wanted to extend 25% resistance to darkness I could certainly see that.

That said Empyrea is faster and surely just OHKOs unless I'm missing something, Black Mage is much more fragile than Terra.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2017, 02:19:48 AM »
While I said "immunes", I actually meant "resists" in my head.  Read what I meant, not what I wrote, darn it.  Sheesh, people's Internet telepathy these days...

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 02:29:26 AM »
Lyndis (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) vs Basilio (Fire Emblem: Awakening) - Uh Basilio can't hit Lyn half the time even without facing WTD and two brave axe hits aren't enough.  She's not doing worse than three-rounding herself since Basilio isn't -that- durable.  Not super convinced on Counter being complete suicide either, it's not like Basilio is going to be hitting much facing a -25 hit penalty on top of everything else.

If Basilio gets only 2/4 hits of the Brave Axe in, that's 60 damage to average according to Elf's stat topic.  +28 from a Killer Bow counter too which has +20 hit vs. the Brave Axe.  That's 88 damage vs. a kill point around 93 or so.  That seems solid enough to kill Lyn.

Alternatively, if you see Basilio going first, he loses the Bow counter, but now he gets 6 Brave Axe thwacks, which also seems bad.  (Makes YOLO fish for a sword crit into Counter stratz more reasonable, though, dunno.)

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 02:38:16 AM »
If Basilio gets only 2/4 hits of the Brave Axe in, that's 60 damage to average according to Elf's stat topic.  +28 from a Killer Bow counter too which has +20 hit vs. the Brave Axe.  That's 88 damage vs. a kill point around 93 or so.  That seems solid enough to kill Lyn.

Except for the part where he's still swinging into 56% evade and isn't great at accuracy or anything.  Those two brave axe hits still need to land and he's facing something like a 37% hit rate with it.  I don't think that's good enough to reduce her chances below 51% here even if we completely ignore what his chances of hitting with a killer bow are.  (Ignoring that she apparently just can two round him with a silver bow to me, which would make this not even worth thinking about)

Also don't kid yourself, if Basilio goes first it's because he's opening with a bow, which doesn't really change anything since he'll likely whiff one of the three attacks needed to kill.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 06:59:37 AM by Random Consonant »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 07:09:48 AM »
Godlike

Reicher (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Heat (Digital Devil Saga 2): Remote Blade OHKOs a tentacle and isn't subject to stat downs, meanwhile Reicher has decent MT on his own turns as well. Just a bad matchup for Heat.
Empyrea (Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King) vs Black Mage (Bravely Default): Faster, ORKO.
Yuri Hyuga (Shadow Hearts Series) vs Jezuit (Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter): Faster, ORKO. If Yuri could tank this opening hit he would need to instant lap with For Everyone and heal and then he might win since he does have MT, but not certain. But yeah, the ORKO is pretty clean, even being relatively harsh to Jezuit (i.e. scaling him against 25% resistance and forcing him to use some AP on movement).
Ryu (Breath of Fire IV) vs Airy (Bravely Default): Well if Airy goes first she wins. If Ryu goes first... things get... interesting.

First of all, Ryu equips a Flame Sword, since it has the same weight as Firangi, -23 power (-460 damage) but does 1.5x here. Ryu will transform into Kaiser, Airy will use Acedia (and/or Default with the intention of using Acedia next turn). Acedia Zeta Flare does around 52-52% to Kaiser. Kaiser will first use Kaiserbreath. Then he gets 1-2 turns (depending on if you see him as at least 3% faster than Airy at base). He can Sanctuary to remove Acedia and yeah he probably should since it means Airy spends 2 BP killing him (Slaughter will work at this point, and/or Acedia + Zeta Flare again). If he has a free turn, he uses a Flame Sword physical. Airy uses Slaughter because whatever, Kaiser is a jerk. Ryu gets two turns, transforms into Weyr and uses Gigaflame. And... yeah the situation repeats, Airy can't OHKO with anything here and needs 3 BP minimum to win, so Ryu gets a chance to use some more fire, 2-3 more turns more likely. And this continues on with other forms. Unless I'm missing something, Ryu should win if he's is faster.

That's a big if. Abstain for now.

Heavy

Nina (Breath of Fire IV) vs Amon (Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals): Huh I overrated Amon's magic damage in my head, maybe him vs. Ephraim was closer than I thought. Oh well. However, Confuse can heal-lock here, and Nina isn't that much faster. Confuse immunity gets her OHKOed. I think her main hope is that her evade works against confuse, that would give her extra turns to work with... but it's probably not enough.
Mei-ling (SaGa Frontier) vs Cresselia (Pokémon): Uhh... buffed Megawindblast 4HKOs, buffed Boundshot and Trickshot 3HKO. Cres' only buff is Double Team but since that only works on Trick Shot it's probably not worth a slot. Cres heals 5 times for 50%. On the other side of things, Psychic 3HKOs and again Mei-ling heals for around 50%... but far more times. Largely symmetric resource war outside of the greatly different amounts of healing I think. Psychic could proc SDef Down but that doesn't actually matter much, and it runs out of PP around the time it does, leaving Cres with less damage.
Lyndis (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) vs Basilio (Fire Emblem: Awakening): Lyn uses a bow, outslugs, the end? She 2RKOs with that so triggers at most one counter and Basilio isn't going first with melee so the absolute worst case scenario is one Basilio turn of his own, that only kills her if all three hits (Brave Axe + Silver Bow counter) hit and they won't.
Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) vs Rydia (Final Fantasy IV): Faster. Not much to say here, no damage average is saving Rydia.

Middle

Lightning Farron (Final Fantasy XIII) vs Karsh (Chrono Cross): Karsh does above average damage without even using a tech (dat str), which beats out Lightning's healing, and then the killer turn comes.
Izlude Tingel (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Gallows Carradine (Wild ARMs 3): 2HKOs/heal-locks. Gallows can fire one summon off and that's it? Well, he may be able to heal once or twice first, building some FP. Actually it's not crazy that this might be enough to kill, although Mind Break would ruin that real bad... and Magic Break ruins it worse if you see that working. Eh, I've got enough Izlude HP respect for this.
Raven (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) vs Chrom (Fire Emblem: Awakening): Raven is +4.9 AS, Chrom is +1.6. So Raven doesn't double, which means Exalted Falchion's healing is far too potent. Chrom kills after Raven's second attack. Hand Axes struggle to hit and only break the regen on a crit, so that has to be a losing prospect.
Ennarcia Dysler (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Lilly Pendragon (Suikoden III): 2HKOs.

Light

Alenia (Suikoden V) vs Irvine Kinneas (Final Fantasy VIII): "Not Alenia" should be good enough here, dunno if he needs a limit but he can probably get one since Alenia is slow and IIRC has a reasonably high 3HKO, a bad place to be.
Tia (Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Leon D.S. Gehste (Star Ocean: The Second Story): Surely.
Randi (Secret of Mana) vs Marivel Armitage (Wild ARMs 2): Faster, so sleep is junk and ID is turn 3. The only question is whether Randi 2HKOs and it's a moot one.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 07:12:37 AM by Dark Holy Elf »

Maybe.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 07:32:14 AM »
Heavy

Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) vs Rydia (Final Fantasy IV) - Rydia dies to a stiff breeze.  What happens when that stiff breeze is full of swords?

Light

Alenia (Suikoden V) vs Irvine Kinneas (Final Fantasy VIII) - Better damage, and Alenia has no damage control.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 02:24:13 PM »
Heavy
Lyndis (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) vs Basilio (Fire Emblem: Awakening) - Axeman versus Lyn is usually largely tilted in her favour. Anyway, math has been done by Random. Basilio needs all 3 hits to land, two of them being a WTD against Lyn's substantial evade and her own bows avoid the backlash on Counter. Think the odds favour her.

Middle
Lightning Farron (Final Fantasy XIII) vs Karsh (Chrono Cross) - I've played enough FF13 to know how this one is going to end.
Izlude Tingel (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Gallows Carradine (Wild ARMs 3) - If nothing else, Breaks will shut Gallows down. It ruins his only real strategy of heal stalling for a bigger FP Summon. Anything else before then is either too slow for damage and/or triggers counters.
Raven (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) vs Chrom (Fire Emblem: Awakening) - In a match where the two competitors are similar, that 10 HP Regen heal stalling makes a big difference. Raven not being able to double Chrom seals the deal.

Light
Alenia (Suikoden V) vs Irvine Kinneas (Final Fantasy VIII) - To quote Super, Irvine is merely a pathetic Light. Alenia meanwhile, wishes she was a pathetic Light.
Andre (Shadow Hearts: Covenant) vs Menardi (Golden Sun) - Menardi is actually Super's waifu. Anyway, see Random. Andre's fought before the big damage spike so it has some semblance of durability and its damage isn't terrible for Light. Menardi meanwhile does 5HKO to average and her magic rams into resistance here just for shits and giggles. 
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 05:32:02 PM »
Godlike

Reicher (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Heat (Digital Devil Saga 2) - Richer has the tricks for this,yeah.
Empyrea (Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King) vs Black Mage (Bravely Default) - SPlat
Ryu (Breath of Fire IV) vs Airy (Bravely Default) - I...don't think ryu is faster. Gonna gutcheck that he's not.

Heavy

Nina (Breath of Fire IV) vs Amon (Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals) - yeah, the def hit to immune confuse is too much.
Mei-ling (SaGa Frontier) vs Cresselia (Pokémon) - Huh, Cress doesn't have any other kind of def buffing? For some reason I thought it had Cosmic Power. Welp, gonna lose the resource war then.
Lyndis (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) vs Basilio (Fire Emblem: Awakening) - bringing axes vs lyn, yeah sure that's gonna work.
Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) vs Rydia (Final Fantasy IV) - jowy does jowy things

Middle

Lightning Farron (Final Fantasy XIII) vs Karsh (Chrono Cross) - I'm amused how Karsh in game seems good but not super strong because you're using him alongside Serge and likely another good character. But take all the scrubs in the cast into account and oh yeah he actually IS really strong! Chrono Cross!
Izlude Tingel (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Gallows Carradine (Wild ARMs 3) - Gallows fails to impress me in general, Izlude takes this to me easy.
Raven (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) vs Chrom (Fire Emblem: Awakening) - Green vs Red isn't a great idea ever, but Raven does have high attack and the Brave Axe while Chrom is slow as shit, but good def iirc so it probably doesn't matte...wait, no, wrong game. Well Chrom wins anyway, just heal and win with counters.
Ennarcia Dysler (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Lilly Pendragon (Suikoden III) - I only know temp enna form

Light

Alenia (Suikoden V) vs Irvine Kinneas (Final Fantasy VIII) - i'm sure he can handle this
Tia (Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Leon D.S. Gehste (Star Ocean: The Second Story) - Leon in the second round is hilarious, but that's llewelyn(sp?) for you
Randi (Secret of Mana) vs Marivel Armitage (Wild ARMs 2) - SoM has a lot of random status blocking gear and iirc the def hit to use them won't matter vs magic(her damage is magic, right?). Or just faster and 2hkos I guess, sure.
Andre (Shadow Hearts: Covenant) vs Menardi (Golden Sun) - don't remember andre that well and I'm going to guess that I just had bad luck in the saturos menardi fight(or was underleveld or just played the game wrong or something) becuase I remember it being an actual fight not a complete joke like most people seem to think. just gonna avoid voting on her from now on I think, since my memory of golden sun's endgame is apparently not trustworthy
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 06:48:52 PM »
Note: Turns out I misread the stat topic and hilariously underrated Lyn's comparative damage.  So yeah, she takes it in 4 bow shots.

Basilio CAN still win (nit: the damage loss on Silver vs. Killer is usually irrelevant in Awakening, so just take Killer for +5 hit and a chance of autowin), but requires either Killer Bow + 2x Brave Axes all hitting, but it also can happen via hit-on-Killer Bow + crit, which should be around a ~25% chance (maybe more like 20% after baking in the evade.).  So yeah, requires some pretty hefty Lyn evade antihype for Basilio to stand a shot.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2017, 04:15:25 AM »
Going to strongly disagree at the idea of Jezuit being faster and ORKOing averagy stuff. His speed means nothing as he starts outside of combat range, making it so that he can only put up the Invisibility (which is in keeping with the plot of his fight). I'd probably assume his initiative is solely for that.

Godlike

Yuri Hyuga (Shadow Hearts Series) vs Jezuit (Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter): Full MT gets past the gimick.
Ryu (Breath of Fire IV) vs Airy (Bravely Default): Ryu is faster. Too much easy speed boosting that is generally only eschewed if enemies are too slow to care in BDFF.

Heavy

Nina (Breath of Fire IV) vs Amon (Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals): Too fast with too much damage? Although she can go for the staff that reduces magic damage by 25%, and her combined Wisdom and evasion make the confuse a joke... but I think she is too effectively heal locked.

Middle

Light

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2017, 05:53:30 AM »
We generally don't assume people start outside of range in the DL, whether they do in-game or not. I'm certainly not about to give out auto-last strike to melee types in SRPGs and systems like BoF5 and AtL. Nor am I inclined to give Jezuit's speed less credit than I am Yuri2's mighty 100.5%.

Maybe.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2017, 08:27:53 AM »
Godlike

Ryu (Breath of Fire IV) vs Airy (Bravely Default)- Uh...

Heavy

Nina (Breath of Fire IV) vs Amon (Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals)- Uh Amon
Lyndis (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) vs Basilio (Fire Emblem: Awakening)- Range + makes Basilio's hit rate baaaaaad

Middle

Light

...into the nightfall.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2017, 02:32:08 PM »
We generally don't assume people start outside of range in the DL, whether they do in-game or not. I'm certainly not about to give out auto-last strike to melee types in SRPGs and systems like BoF5 and AtL. Nor am I inclined to give Jezuit's speed less credit than I am Yuri2's mighty 100.5%.

I am not sure we usually respects enemies who start outside of range in SRPGs that have an agility stat but doesn't matter past turn 1? Does anyone really hype the speed on ShF2 bosses, who all start outside and are encountered long, long after the Agi stat matters? Or the Dark One from AtL2? I guess he has a high Agi stat but it doesn't matter for that particular battle. I mean I don't think people even bothered to note the Agi for ShF1 bosses because they didn't make any difference...

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2017, 05:27:36 PM »
Godlike

Reicher (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Heat (Digital Devil Saga 2) - Probably.  Very close to me, but I don't feel like really heavily thinking this through. 
Empyrea (Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King) vs Black Mage (Bravely Default) - Empyrea probably just defaults if African American Mage does, and that will hurt more.
Yuri Hyuga (Shadow Hearts Series) vs Jezuit (Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter) - Said it last week, but Jezuit is nearly unbeatable to me.  He's un-targetable, and Yuri has to target him to hurt him.   
Ryu (Breath of Fire IV) vs Airy (Bravely Default) - Cute little fairy.

Heavy

Nina (Breath of Fire IV) vs Amon (Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals) - AmonAll, but even without that, Nina can't get ahead.
Mei-ling (SaGa Frontier) vs Cresselia (Pokémon) - Boss
Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) vs Rydia (Final Fantasy IV) - I think I made clear my views on Jowy last week, so...uh...I don't think there's an interpretation for me that wins this

Middle

Lightning Farron (Final Fantasy XIII) vs Karsh (Chrono Cross) - Whatever, really
Izlude Tingel (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Gallows Carradine (Wild ARMs 3) - Eh...whatever
Ennarcia Dysler (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Lilly Pendragon (Suikoden III) - Ruuuuuuuuuunes

Light

Alenia (Suikoden V) vs Irvine Kinneas (Final Fantasy VIII) - Sure
Tia (Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Leon D.S. Gehste (Star Ocean: The Second Story) - MAGIC
Randi (Secret of Mana) vs Marivel Armitage (Wild ARMs 2) - Randi is pretty terrible
Andre (Shadow Hearts: Covenant) vs Menardi (Golden Sun) - Think it's a big closer, but yeah
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2017, 05:20:27 AM »
Oh, matchups I can vote on, hee hee:

Izlude Tingel (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Gallows Carradine (Wild ARMs 3): I did consider throwing Gallows a flavor vote based on heal stalling up a to a fatal summon.  However I was reminded that a) Izlude has breaks, particularly Mind Break and Speed Break and b) Izlude is quite a bit faster which can lead to easy overwhelming.  Landing a single Speed Break is enough for a laughable turn split.

Tia (Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Leon D.S. Gehste (Star Ocean: The Second Story)  Zzzzz...  Leon lacks crippling status or high offense to exploit Tia's fragiity.  Meanwhile, I see him as susceptible to Drowsy.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2017, 02:56:55 PM »
Reicher (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Heat (Digital Devil Saga 2) - Remote Blade OHKOing the tentacles alone goes a long way. He can overwhelm Heat pretty easily, really.
Empyrea (Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King) vs Black Mage (Bravely Default) - One-rounds alright.
Ryu (Breath of Fire IV)[/b] vs Airy (Bravely Default) - uh

Nina (Breath of Fire IV) vs Amon (Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals) - Sure?
Mei-ling (SaGa Frontier) vs Cresselia (Pokémon) - Oh look, Mei-ling winning a war of attrition.
Lyndis (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) vs Basilio (Fire Emblem: Awakening) - Surely.
Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II) vs Rydia (Final Fantasy IV) - Good lord.

Lightning Farron (Final Fantasy XIII) vs Karsh (Chrono Cross) - Karsh's pretty solid.
Izlude Tingel (Final Fantasy Tactics) vs Gallows Carradine (Wild ARMs 3) Yeah.
Raven (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) vs Chrom (Fire Emblem: Awakening) - Raven is a lot less impressive a slugger when he's not doubling.
Ennarcia Dysler (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Lilly Pendragon (Suikoden III) - Sure? Both Enna and Lilly are slightly fragile, but she has considerably more speed. He's a bit -too- methodic, with all of his relevant offense being timed sphere-based.

Alenia (Suikoden V) vs Irvine Kinneas (Final Fantasy VIII) - Alenia is awful.
Tia (Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals) vs Leon D.S. Gehste (Star Ocean: The Second Story) - What the hell is Leon going to do here, spam WORD OF DEATH?
Randi (Secret of Mana) vs Marivel Armitage (Wild ARMs 2) - I'll bite. Randi might be able to block Sleep, even, and Marivel can't properly exploit the horrendous pdur hit he takes to immune the status.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2017, 03:39:17 PM »
Godlike

Heavy

Middle

Light

Alenia (Suikoden V) vs Irvine Kinneas (Final Fantasy VIII) - Can I vote against both of them please
Andre (Shadow Hearts: Covenant) vs Menardi (Golden Sun) - I don't want to talk about this

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2017, 10:08:56 PM »
Godlike

Heavy

Middle

Lightning Farron (Final Fantasy XIII) vs Karsh (Chrono Crossz0

Light

Randi (Secret of Mana) vs Marivel Armitage (Wild ARMs 2)- No vote.

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2017, 02:48:36 AM »
Godlike

Reicher (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy)- iiiiiiii vs Heat (Digital Devil Saga 2)
Empyrea (Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King)- iiiiiiiiii vs Black Mage (Bravely Default)
Yuri Hyuga (Shadow Hearts Series)- ii vs Jezuit (Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter)- iiiiii
Ryu (Breath of Fire IV)- iii vs Airy (Bravely Default)- iiii

Heavy

Nina (Breath of Fire IV)- i vs Amon (Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals)- iiiiiiiii
Mei-ling (SaGa Frontier)- iiiiiiii vs Cresselia (Pokémon)
Lyndis (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword)- iiiiiii vs Basilio (Fire Emblem: Awakening)- ii
Jowy Atreides (Suikoden II)- iiiiiiiiiii vs Rydia (Final Fantasy IV)- i

Middle

Lightning Farron (Final Fantasy XIII)- ii vs Karsh (Chrono Cross)- iiiiiiiii
Izlude Tingel (Final Fantasy Tactics)- iiiiiiiiiiiiii vs Gallows Carradine (Wild ARMs 3)
Raven (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) vs Chrom (Fire Emblem: Awakening)- iiiiiiii
Ennarcia Dysler (Mana Khemia 2: Fall of Alchemy) vs Lilly Pendragon (Suikoden III)- iiiiiiii

Light

Alenia (Suikoden V) vs Irvine Kinneas (Final Fantasy VIII)- iiiiiiiiiiii
Tia (Lufia 2: Rise of the Sinistrals)- iiiiiiiiiiii vs Leon D.S. Gehste (Star Ocean: The Second Story)
Randi (Secret of Mana)- iiiiiiiii vs Marivel Armitage (Wild ARMs 2)- ii
Andre (Shadow Hearts: Covenant)- iiiii vs Menardi (Golden Sun)- ii