imageRegister

Author Topic: The Town of Inaba (Episode 1 - Closed)  (Read 12645 times)

May

• Eris's Padding
  • Denizen
  • Lalatina~
    • View Profile
Re: The Town of Inaba (Episode 1)
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2016, 05:09:58 AM »
"We had heard of chaos in nearly every direction, and expected some resultant imposition as a consequence," Akeha admits, gesturing around them. "For the most part, Inaba has always been our point of participation with outsiders, but I hope to have brought some more... energetic administration to it than previous nobles," she nods, watching Lee gesticulate and twist with a curious amusement.

Tilting her head a little, Akeha smiles none the less. "I hope our small trading port can live up to such hopes. And please, call me Lady Hakuhi. Certainly I hope there to be no reason we will have to base our relations on my family," she chuckles. "I would caution you with regards to your people seeking employment with our inns... of the foreign tongues, you will find Rivertongue by far the most common here. And the Realm languages are pleasant enough to our ears, but Dragon tongue is the most elevated and courtly language in the land of Suizasho," having maintained the conversation in Forest Tongue, Akeha's accent certainly did smack of Old or High Realm.

"So if I might inquire, what brings one such as yourself wandering down the river?"

Carthrat

• Max Level Arch Priestess
  • Denizen
  • I'm a goddess! I'm really a goddess!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2016, 05:21:29 AM »
Lee taps her head with her fan. "It is our quest to bring cheer to the world! To seek fame and fortune! Ah, but, of course there is more to it than the surface. It is a story I find difficult to sum up in a few words. Better suited to sitting than standing, I would say," she explains. "But, if you wish to hear it, I shall oblige. Would my lady Hakuhi accept our humble hospitality?" she asks, gesturing to her ship.
WHAT BENEFITS CAN ONE GET FROM SCIENTOLOGY?

May

• Eris's Padding
  • Denizen
  • Lalatina~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2016, 05:24:14 AM »
"Certainly," Hakuhi grins. "If I might bring my assistant Vol Kikure," she gestures to the bureaucrat at her side. "I would be happy to join you for a short while to discuss the matter."

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2016, 05:39:22 AM »
"Charmed," replies Lee, glancing briefly at Vol. "My son, Tora, will handle the formalities here."

She gives her child a meaningful glance, that trails between the likes of Akeha and Hana before turning away. These are women of quality, Tora!, she imagines herself saying. Make a good impression! Then, she turns and walks towards her austere cabin. Her dancers remain on the dock. As part of the usual public relations effort, they will soon be making eyes at the soldiers, whispering between themselves, and occasionally mimicking this one's stern visage or offering that one a flirtatious wink and smile.

Nobody would call Lee's room rich, but being spartan has a certain inimitable quality. She sits herself cross-legged on a cushion, taking up a sanxian leaning against the wall. Between her and Akeha sits a low table. A tall wall-hanging that depicts the dawn hangs behind her, a half-sun rising above verdant hills and rich farmland. To one side is a map, with old realm calligraphy marking the places thereupon. Someone will bring them tea soon, certainly.

"Why we are here, indeed," muses Lee, thoughtfully. "As the farmer leaves one field clear so that it might grow boldly next summer, so too do we rotate from town to town, knowing that songs are worth more when heard infrequently. Unbound and unbowed, we have neither lands nor title to call our own, thus to be itinerants is all that remains to us. Our home was no longer a place for us, so we made a new one out of wood and sailcloth. The more of the world we see, the more we learn and the more we can teach. I suppose you could say we traveled this way because I sought to chase the dawn."

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2016, 06:55:00 AM »
Everyone

Tora nods. "Of course, mother." Smiling brightly at Hana and her guards, he will gesture for her to continue, asking her politely for the last few questions to be repeated so he might answer the venerable bureaucrat's inquiries to the best of his abilities.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2016, 08:11:09 AM »
Vol bows graciously upon being introduced, "Lady Aaeiko." he offers neutrally in response.

As the eccentric woman led them into the ship, Vol is surprised at Lady Hakuhi's willingness to deal with the newcomers on their own ground, but he attributes it to the leverage still being firmly with Akeha and Inaba. He listens closely to the woman's verbiage and carefully takes in the surroundings to get a better sense of them. For one, the sun imagery jumps out at him, which might it not if Lee herself hadn't drawn attention to it with the phrase chase the dawn. Still, it is secondary to the vagueness in her story of the group's origins, and he files away questions of his for later use.

He takes his seat at Akeha's side, ready with keen interest in beginning the talks with this boastful character.

Magetastica

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2016, 08:39:47 AM »
Even as he tried to listen past it, Rishi could hear something... off about the tone of the newcomer, Lee. She sounded zealous, but in a different way than the usual monks, and he never had such a hard time ignoring someone before.

As Akeha and Lee agree to move into the cabin, Rishi's ears perk up and his eyes open. As soon as he looks down at the group, he notices the man standing near to Lee staring in amazement; which would be fine, if he didn't also have a large dog with a strangely large... mane? Not a term he's used to using for dogs.

When the group begins moving to the cabin, he rolls lazily backwards and out of sight, then quickly puts his bow away and drops off the building. As he turns around the corner, he drops his hood and blends into the crowd, finding a place near enough to the boat for him to listen in on the conversation about to take place, but far enough away that he won't gather the attention of the remaining refugees. Those workers were right about one thing, Rishi thinks to himself, something is very, very wrong here. I just hope nobody gets hurt from it...

((OOC: Stealth pool is 5(Dex)+5(Stealth)+2(2 motes on Excellency from Peripheral)=12d10.

<+Magey> .ex 12
<Luna> Magey: 12: [2: 1, 3: 1, 4: 2, 5: 1, 7: 1, 8: 1, 9: 2, 10: 3]  - 10 Successes

Awareness is same as before, and if deemed a new scene will pay the motes again. 7d10 with Double 9s, and Difficulty dropping shenanigans.

EDIT because I am a derp and used the wrong stat. Adjusted the dice pool to what it actually should be, can be rolled if Andy deems it necessary.))
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 05:25:25 PM by Magetastica »

May

• Eris's Padding
  • Denizen
  • Lalatina~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2016, 11:04:22 AM »
Akeha takes a moment to consider Lee's terming, narrowing her eyes sharply. "You were driven by foes or circumstances to flee your home, and now you seek..." she frowns, chewing on Lee's phrasing, the room, feeling as though she was still missing something. "Now seeking something in particular," she raises an eyebrow. "But I can't tell what, if my name was a specific point of curiosity or was it merely seeking another tale?" she hums, one emerald-green and one sapphire-blue eye staring at her. "Either way, you expected something of me."
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 11:06:10 AM by May »

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2016, 11:16:30 AM »
Lee laughs. "Where I come from- the Confederation of Divine Thrones, where the gods rule men in little city-states," she remarks. "We rarely describe each other's thoughts to one another so candidly. It's impolite. But perhaps if we did, though, things would have turned out better?" She plays a little riff on the sanxian, a touch melancholic.

"I think something interesting will happen, or has happened here," she tells Akeha. "Fire has taken on a prophetic mode as of late. I associate it with revelations. And death. And madness. The imposition of order upon chaos, and the righting of wrongs. To meet someone bearing it as a name, why, it felt as if the gods were granting me a sign, saying this is a person I should take pains to befriend. This is a place I should be. What would you say to that, Lady Hakuhi?" she muses.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 11:29:03 AM by Carthrat »

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2016, 11:35:43 AM »
Vol takes in the conversation with interest, filing away the details of note for later- especially about the Confederation of Divine Thrones. Oddly, his mind seems to latch onto the one part, which causes him to chuckle in prelude to his segway to enter the conversation. "On the contrary, Lady Aaeiko. You and your merry band are the most interesting thing to happen in Inaba since Lady Hakuhi arrived. Quite the self-fulfilling prophecy you have enacted?" he observes with a friendly smile, attempting to smooth over, or at least distract from, his boss' confusion with some light banter. This also serves to give Akeha the proper time to think of an answer.

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2016, 11:39:50 AM »
"My!" Lee looks a little confused. "I hardly could have thought... honestly, I had been wondering at the reception," she admits. "Most cities downstream paid our entry little heed. I must extend my apologies for any rudeness on me or my son's behalf in dealing with these unfamiliar circumstances. Had I known we would be such an oddity, I would have tried to send word in advance of our arrival."

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2016, 11:46:53 AM »
"Pay it no mind, Lady Aaeiko. Our work here has been, in essence, to leverage the town out of the rut it had fallen into under the succession of previous inept stewards. Perhaps this will be another opportunity to test the flexibility of the townsfolk, as well as the effectiveness of our reforms." He pauses a moment for comedic effect. "In other words... it will be good for them." he times perfectly, looking sidelong to Akeha to make his suggestion for how to proceed known. "Of course, that is contingent upon Lady Hakuhi's decision, and what kind of agreement we can negotiate."

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2016, 12:12:22 PM »
"Well, I'm glad to know I have already made a contribution to your civic futures," muses Lee. "Negotiate, you say? It need not be all that complicated," she replies. "I have some confidence in our ability to impress. It would be my honour to allow you to- how do the hawkers say it, sample our wares?"

She nods a little. "Then, with our credentials properly established, we can discuss accommodations, future performances, the value thereof, and appropriate venues, taxes, and so on and so forth. I am not all that interested in money. It is important, of course, for we have to eat," she muses. "But it is my son who enjoys the thrust and parry over particular figures and percentages. Once we know we are good for each other on the whole, all the rest of the details tend to just fall into place, don't you think?"
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 02:08:00 PM by Carthrat »

May

• Eris's Padding
  • Denizen
  • Lalatina~
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2016, 07:18:38 PM »
Akeha appears to be stewing over the last thing Lee said to her directly, watching the other woman with a plainly measuring gaze that was completely oblivious to her and Vol's exchange.

"I apologize for my direct nature, it's not considered entirely politic or polite in Suizasho, either. Rather that I was indulged as a child to avoid quite as much training in such things, in favor of violence," Akeha opens up again, pursing her lips. "Somethingi nteresting did happen, my arrival in itself was far stranger than yours, by the standards of Inaba," she agrees, "And what caused it certainly could be described as a prophetic revelation in fire," she grins. "A fulfillment of my name, if you might. Did you experience your own revelation in the flames of dawn?"

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2016, 10:40:52 PM »
"Almost. It was noon, as I recall," replies Lee, "And I was dancing in tears and anger when the flames began consuming the detritus of my life and all its follies. But a greater power reached out to me then; the highest of fires itself," she continues, with a slight nod towards the hanging on the wall.

May

• Eris's Padding
  • Denizen
  • Lalatina~
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2016, 12:19:25 AM »
Both eyebrows shoot up at Lee's inability to abandon poetics, but Akeha begins to softly laugh.  As her amusement persists, an eight pointed sunburst burns itself into her forehead, reaching a soft glow that nearly matched her hair. "It has been... vexing to say the least, as my home reveres the Dragon-Blooded above all, and we hold to the traditions of the shogunate. And it had been hoped since my birth that I would Exalt just as my father had," she admits. "Inaba is a place of exile and isolation for me, safely away from the Imperial Court and Kuni Witch Hunters that might ferret me out."

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2016, 05:03:33 AM »
Lee's eyes light up first in fascination, and then with a matching mark upon her own brow, a solid gold disc that contributes to the room's illumination. "I knew I was not wrong!" she exclaims. "Truly, this is a meeting ordained by fate itself! Hah, what fools they were to spurn you!"

May

• Eris's Padding
  • Denizen
  • Lalatina~
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2016, 05:14:08 AM »
"In my father's defense, he hardly spurned me," Akeha admits, a bit more softly. "My status might mean more intensified warfare, and an inability to contain thhe situation in Court..." she shakes her head. "My exile was a necessity. Otherwise I would die in my Lord's defense, by my own hand or another's," she hums.

"Please, to spare me the intricacies I am not well trained for... as one Anathema to another, what is it you are seeking, then?"

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2016, 05:38:17 AM »
Lee scoffs. "I wonder. Even I, a humble priestess some only middling skill in the fighting arts... well, I was imbued with might enough to wound a god; what strength must you have, being well seasoned in violence? In the long of it, I seek for the Chosen to claim their rightful place in the world. I won't suffer to be called Anathema- no, I can wear that from those who don't know better or are my outright enemies, but to hear you address yourself by the term? We must have the confidence that we know better than to believe the lies of jealous men and lesser idols. I wish to fight against those lies and I wish to do so with your aid and support.

"Lady Hakuhi, I now believe with a certainty that I am meant to be here- that we are meant to be together. It is a bond we share beyond nations or personal creeds. We are the Chosen of the Unconquered Sun. If you rule these lands as a steward and warrior, then please allow me to support you as a priestess and songstress, that I might contest lies with truth, and inequity with piety and a holy will."
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 05:57:40 AM by Carthrat »

May

• Eris's Padding
  • Denizen
  • Lalatina~
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2016, 06:15:57 AM »
"I can assault hundreds of men, but I wouldn't wager against a dozen Dragon-Blooded, even as I am," Akeha hums, the statement an obvious moment of stalling as she eyes and measures Lee carefuly, weighing her words. "My place..." she sighs, rather dramatically, but seemingly heartfelt in her sudden melancholy. "Is at the head of an army that won't have me any longer," she muses, rubbing her jaw. "I can't... say for the moment. My father has defended me even in spite of this, as a Dragon-Blooded of pure Shogunate descent and belief..." her shoulders drop. "I must consider this more. But for the time being, we have prepared some and would be happy to have you as guests, until you and I can come to.... a further understanding of our futures."

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2016, 06:21:03 AM »
"Well, should those dozen Dragon-Blooded threaten your life, do not hesitate to call upon me. Whoever or wherever it is, if a Chosen is imperiled, I would help," insists Lee, setting aside her instrument. "We gladly accept your hospitality, and shall endeavour to return your trust."

May

• Eris's Padding
  • Denizen
  • Lalatina~
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2016, 06:28:03 AM »
Akeha appears to relax a little bit, and smiles. "But please... do not be so... bold with any others besides myself and Vol," she worries, "Suizasho ultimately is a land born of the Shogunate, ruled by Dragon-Blooded and raised in the belief that we are Anathema. We must remain discrete for the time being. My men can be trusted, but the townspeople and outsiders..." she shakes her head. "Please be cautious."

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2016, 06:33:22 AM »
"I would not want to trouble you so soon after meeting," replies Lee. "But it is not in my nature to conceal what I know to be right for long. Still, there is a time and place for it, and I'm well aware there are those who would strike against me for what I am. We shall talk of this again in time."

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2016, 07:10:23 AM »
As the two women dance around the issue for a few more exchanges, a knowing smile creeps onto Vol's face. But still he listened and watched, both Lee for her reactions and Lady Akeha for any small tidbits she may have left out of any of their conversations. Seeing an opening he does take the opportunity to re-enter the proceedings.

"We shall. However, this is not the time for such talk. Such an occasion calls for happier tidings." he smiles, clapping his hands. "If you would, I can schedule you to meet with Lady Hakuhi tomorrow for a more detailed conversation on what your plans and needs are, and what we can do for you. Now that, at least, we know the nature of your arrival, we can work together to mutual benefit. We had actually just begun to make preparations for such an influx. Should you bring a list of your needs, we can compare them to what we are able to provide and work accordingly." Vol offers a diplomatic smile, happily talking business for the moment.

"If that is agreeable to you, we are of course free to celebrate your arrival."

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2016, 07:20:47 AM »
Lee sets her instrument aside, and takes a moment to gather her thoughts. "I shall have the precise details compiled by Tora for you," she replies. "But first and foremost, I would like you to show me where my people could stay? I like for them to mingle, to get to know people better. We have slept under the stars in camps beyond the village wall before, and will do so again if need be, but I would like it if they could break bread with some of your countrymen, so we can learn a little more about one another."