Register

Author Topic: Song selection topic for "Kaitlyn's Song of the Week"  (Read 32938 times)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: Song selection topic for "Kaitlyn's Song of the Week"
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2016, 06:56:35 AM »
I vote for Parkway Drive because that's my coping strategy for now.

Nothing got a fair listen.  Sorry.

I think Regina Spektor is my pick, but tons of that is historical bias.  I do really like Mamamoo, but that is also common theme.  Momoland is pretty goood to, would probably normally get some random words about it.  Harts would do better in a week that wasn't fucking terrible.

That you pick lots of K-Pop in a time of coping and turmoil is both in character and interesting.

On the other side of the coin it is not interesting but in character that what I want is metal
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2016, 10:56:11 AM »
harts - S'all right.  Could be rather politically interpreted, if that's a concern.  Not a lot of progression or anything, song's mostly just repeating the one riff and a couple bars of soloing.  DOesn't stand out or do much for me, but is nice to loop in background.

B.A.P. - Wow ok.  With the length and the video, this is more of a short film than a song.  The song side is pretty sweet though.  Good tone, good energy, progression, delivery.  Film narrative is pretty good too.  It is fairly violent though.  I'm not sure if bloody gangster gunfights are a good pick for the post-election mixup, or if 10 minutes is a good pick for the column in general.  But this is a pretty good pick for me, I'm impressed.

Mamamoo - Glad to see a song from these ladies that isn't just them singing "Mamamoo" repeatedly.  General pop in the first half, then a transition to a long, minimal soundscape sex metaphor.  The video's visuals are nice, but also feel kind of required, as without them the soundscape alone does little for me.  I guess I can't say it doesn't break the mold, but the pop part doesn't break the pop mold and the fruit and rose squeezing part, while original, doesn't land for me.

Regina Spektor - This is soft spoken, but it's still very political.  Song side's neat, good dynamics, really nice piano and strings.  I'd like to hear this without the vocals, maybe with one other instrument (there's a hint of percussion at the climax...) but the lyrics detract from the song to me.  It is very artistic though.  Mrgh.

momoland - Cheerpop gonna cheerpop.  "Are you really a human?  Tell me!"  As it happens, no, I'm not and to me this is just meh. 

Louisa Johnson - May not be American but I don't know about a bunch of grungy southern looking people singing about "Don't say I didn't warn you" and getting into fights with skinheads in the parking lot.  Music's all right, above average even but there's just no way I'm liking this this week.

BAP pretty far in the lead for me specifically, but these are all fairly polarizing.  Regina's probably the safe pick, I didn't love it but I can't put anything but BAP over it.  (And I can *really* see people not liking BAP...)

BAP > Regina Spektor > harts > Mamamoo > momoland > Louisa Johnson

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2016, 05:18:05 PM »
harts - it's okay. Not super interesting, didn't get on my nerves. Kinda tuned it out halfway through butit makes alright background music.

BAP - ...10 minutes? the song overstayed it's welcome after about 6. It's not a bad song, just I could not maintain interest for the the period it was asking.

Mamamoo - pretty good. until the song stopped for the sex metaphor, anyway. but then the song picked back up for the end so hey good work. As usual, I'm not into things that only work in music video mode, if a song cannot work purely as audio than it is not a good song, imo. But it's good for most of it at least.

regina spektor - not a fan of this style of music in general once again. I'm sure it's a powerful song, but it mostly just annoyed me.

momoland - this exists. I got into a conversation on irc while it was playing and managed to nearly space it out entirely except for the beginning.

Louisa Johnson - this was pretty good. short and to the point, which I think is more of a plus than it normally would be right now, after sitting through BAP.

Not really much for detailed comments rn, just kinda "did I like it or no".

Mamamoo > Louisa Johnson > harts > momoland > BAP > regina spektor

<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2016, 06:47:00 AM »
Well...BAP is looking likely (#1 from Alex, #1 from me, #5 from Gate)

Gate's #1 is Mamamoo; that's my #2, Alex's #4--so pretty similar overall.

Other #2s...Louisa Jonson for Gate was #6 from Alex, and in the middle of the pack for me.

Regina Spektor, was...#2 from Alex, but low from me and Gate.

harts was probably like...#3ish from everyone? momoland was probably 4th-5th range from everyone.

Yeah, it's between BAP and Mamamoo, but BAP has more #1s

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2016, 04:19:33 AM »
Alright, next week I will be on vacation, probably not listening to music.  Which means that next week we will be picking...maybe a runner up from this week (or another recent week).  But first we need to pick a song for this week.  Finalists for this week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6IAJOOmDMg
The Chainsmokers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGePool-Heg
Sirenia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BWF3JwG-rc
L2M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uopyt1uuUig
Diablus in Musica

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u14-QBPzSE
Melanie Martinez

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFlSEmffrIs
Melinda Kathleen Reese

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2016, 02:24:16 PM »
The Chain Smokers - I want something called Setting Fires to be something different than this is.  It is very protectionist about something, but I am still mad and depressed about things and stuff.  I want a Bombtrack instead.

Sirenia - I preferred this way better when it was Death Stars - All the Devil's Toys, because it was essentially the same riffs with a bigger range (vocal harmonies in the same range as the instruments is kind of boring?).  It is fine, just a bit underwhelming.

L2M - I started listening to this and was going to make a joke about Ke$ha or Taylor Swift doing a Kids Bop album.  It is actually just like literally that though so I won't criticise the fact that it is pretty soft on the songwriting.  It um is ?  A thing that exists that I am literally not and never have been the target market for?  I dunno.

Diablus in Musica - I was pretty into this the first time I listened to it because at this point I had started watching the clips a bit (because well after the last one I kind of had to).  I dig the film clip.  I think it is ridiculous (they are playing like... in a movie theater?  Or a super tiny venue stage).  I could easilly be convinced that the light setup is literally exactly what they use at a concert, but I dig it.  I really enjoy the highly edited quick cuts and jerky motion of the break downof the titular invisible dude. There isn't much to it, but it does a lot with the not much that it is.

Melanie Martinez - But then this came on and I worked out pretty quick it probably had to be my pick.  I think I liked the last time she was on but struggled to grasp it?  It seems like she might play to type really hard, but this one works as a video and song.  It hits a lot of the right points between weird, creepy and fucked.  Delivery is a bit like some other stuff?  I can't place it.  Lana Del Rey?  Her singing is more breath heavy than hers.  The heavy breath reminded me of that Korean song where there was a camping table on a raft or something that I thought was rad, but the start of the chorus at 54 seconds where she says "Pacify her.  She's getting on my nerves" is delivered nearly pitch perfect for it.  I would guess its another one of her tracks but I am sure it is something else I know from like the late 90s that just doesn't come to mind. 

Anyway I love how desperate and frantic it is at times.  It is so evocative.  Broken songs about broken people etcetcetc.  I also enjoy the story and theme of the film clip.  Desperate pleas for love and affection from the boy/man someone else is with.  You don't love her, stop lying with those words.  Then ultimately he is distracted by the other woman's open offer of her body.  Broken film clips for broken people.

Also I guess with the release of Suicide Squad and the positive response to Margot Robbie's portrayal of Harley Quinn gives us a bit of a revival of the Suicide Girl trend?  I guess I am not one to complain.

Melinda Kathleen Reese - Well I don't like Disney stuff generally, so yeah a parody might speak to me in theory, but when you just do it delivered of Disney songwriting its meh.  Also a concept that I think has way less legs to it than the clip does.  I like it better in the much shorter Angus and Julia Stone - Hollywood.

They all would have been killed
In the sound of music,
They would have found out that
Pinocchio could never tell the truth.

She wouldn't made it to shore,
The little mermaid. He would have married a whore
From a wealthy family, after all he was royalty.

Cinderella would have scrubbed those floors
Till her hands grew old and tired,
And nobody would look her way,
That's the way it goes today.

More direct and punchier and less just doom and glooming and more just "normal people and relationships are good".  You know, normal songs for normal people.  That's what I say I always like right?

Melanie Martinez is the pick out of the 4 I am honestly comfortable really voting on (Melanie Martinez > Diabulus Musica > CHain Smokers > Sirenia), but I kind of abstain from L2M and Melinda Kathleen Reese in that if you have anything on them you want to say I think you should pick them to say it.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2016, 05:43:46 PM »
The Chainsmokers - Video's better than the song.  Fairly mellow for a track about fire, has a nice beat.  Lyrics don't speak to me much.  Ultimately a pleasant but forgettable listen, nothing really stood out to me.

Sirenia - Hmm.  On the one hand I'm with Grefter in that this track is quite restrained.  On the other hand, I felt the restraint actually helped the elegoth tone it was trying to set.  It feels legitimately elegant rather than "metal with some sections forced into compliance".  But it doesn't nail the sense of elegance either, or do much with it.  Favorable to my biases but not perfect.

L2M - On this one, I am fully with Grefter.  Wayyy too idealized and hitting too close to home to appeal to me.  This sort of society is built on blood.

Diabulus in Musica - I don't get much connection between the video and the song, but they're both pretty good.  Well composed and produced symphonic metal, doesn't do anything wrong, and the video at least does some memorable stuff (the song is much more... I wouldn't say generic exactly, but what I would expect to find on a CD from a big but not the biggest name metal band.)  Not blowing my mind but a very solid 85/100 rating kinda deal?  Certainly bops Sirenia by a full mental tier.

Melanie Martinez - Certainly evocative and memorable, though again, a lot of that comes from the video.  Without it... I don't really like the vocals.  No real reason, just gut reaction to her voice, doesn't work for me.  The lyrics speak to me though the subject matter does not.  Probably the best of her stuff that I've seen? 

Melinda Kathleen Reese - I thought this was going to be about the real endings of the folktales the movies were based on.  Instead, they just made up a bunch of stuff, and it's really crass and way too blunt.  Very disappointing.  The historical endings of TLM, B&B and Pocahontas are even more messed up than what this song presents, and the Aladdin section is just "nope don't wanna hear this right now, maybe in a few weeks."

Diabulus and Melanie Martinez are a clear top 2 for me.  I think I prefer Diabulus but only by a slight margin, and both are good enough that we could just go this week/next week on em.

Diabulus in Musica > Melanie Martinez > Sirenia > The Chainsmokers > L2M > Melinda Kathleen Reese

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2016, 04:35:38 AM »
Well....Melinda Kathleen Reese was far and away my #1.  I think it's musically quite strong, doing a lot of harmonies better than they are in the original Disney.  But no real backup on that pick right now (Grefter Abstaining, Alex feeling like right now is the wrong political moment).

Melanie Martinez barely got into the top 6 for me.  Surprised it's so high for Gref/Alex.

Making Diablus in Musica the pretty clear pick (everyone liked it).

I think there might be some argument to circling back to MKR next week, since it's a week where we'll probably be picking an old song anyway.  Diablus is just a really safe pick this week though.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2016, 09:48:36 PM »
Alright, I've been on vacation all week, so we are probably picking an old song.  I had some songs that I'd listened to on Friday, but I forgot to email those to myself.

(Basically, seems like Metallica released every song from their new album in music video form on Friday, so like...all of those.)

https://www.youtube.com/user/MetallicaTV/videos
(Metallica's youtube page; a bunch of videos released on Thursday or Friday; most are solid).

Also, this was pretty good, probably my favourite thing I heard on Friday, but I'm not sure if everyone would prefer it to Metallica:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcyooOT2ORE&t=0s
Maggie Cheung

But yeah, probably picking an old song if there's one we skipped that you think we should return to.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2016, 10:12:34 PM »
From Metallica just as I listen through to random stuff I guess...

Am I Savage?  - Literally me every time I make a sick post on the internet.  Its alright.

Here Comes Revenge - Yeah I like this a lot more.  It is the same general wheelhouse as the rest of the album is sounding, but hammers home a consistent them a bit harder and the film clip gives of suuuuper strong You're Next vibes with the animals, which fits given You're Next was a Revenge flick.

Dream No More - I wasn't sure if it was generic badthings TM track or if we actually finally had another Cthulhu track from Metallica, but well damn, middle of the song it is right there.  So that kind of tells us Lars was a big part of the album again since all the old Cthulhu tracks were from him.  No idea why there is random booty in the film clip.

Also they still can't pronounce it right.

Friend's band has a new song coming here, it is sick.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 06:51:44 AM by Grefter »

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2016, 12:37:03 AM »
I might edit in some thoughts later tonight but don't have anything for now.  Nothing in previous couple of weeks really stands out in memory. 

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2016, 07:12:35 PM »
Hmm...well nothing really stands out to me amongst the Metallica.  went back and started listening to second places recently; some of them were kinda not doing it for me, this one was though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22aafk_gbko
Martin Garrix & Julian Jordan

I think I'm deciding between that and MKR from last week.  I do know what Alex/Grefter will pick (not disney) at the same time I never do Disney, so might be worth a shot.  Think I just have to listen to these both alternating since I think they're both strong musically...

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2016, 05:29:06 AM »
Lot of big names this week; nothing that really stands out to me as a favourite, among the bunch, though--definitely want input this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvW61K2s0tA
OK Go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMsok5m5yD4
Tove Lo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giBppYq6GMI
KHS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG3B2w6Flj4
The Doubleclicks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkaEpUBUQDw
Justice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpbQ4I3Eidg
Machine Gun Kelly

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2016, 09:30:01 PM »
OK Go - Video: "Good stuff,  I wouldn't mind if this was the pick..."  Music: "... but I also hope there's better stuff coming in the list, because this is acceptable but not impressive, the kind of song that I'll forget after a week."

Tove Lo - Ah, better stuff.  I quite liked this.  Nice smooth and sour mix of retro beats and anger.  Youtube comments rip on it for being a blatant imitation of Florence and the Machine's Odyssey series, and they're not wrong... but I don't think that's a bad thing at all.  Quite the opposite, really, and I even prefer this style to a lot of Florence.

KHS - These high pitched male vocals just aren't my style, they sound bad to me, and since the track focuses on them so heavily that's gonna be a dealbreaker.  The instrumentals are nice, composition's ok, nothing really special, it's a cover specifically focused on the vocals and so yeah.

The Doubleclicks - Similar deal to KHS, cover song with very exposed vocals that don't quite do it for me.  I like the vocals more than the ones in KHS, but the backing instrumentals less.

Justice - Good song, doesn't quite hit its potential IMO.  The very end shows a different tone that I can point to and say "I wish the song did more of that and went different places instead of just staying in one groove throughout the main body."  It's not bad but never really rises above a TV commercial song sort of level.

Machine Gun Kelly - I can't decide whether the rap/singing interplay works or doesn't.  Sometimes I think it does, other times not.  The chorus is pretty cute, I like it more than I thought I would, but the other parts of the song don't seem to know quite where to go?  Ending didn't work for me.

Pretty close pack.  Tove Lo wins the brawl for me, I didn't like the covers so they go to the bottom, and the other three... are hard to place.  I could justify them in any order but let's go with this.

Tove Lo > OK Go > Justice > Machine Gun Kelly > The Doubleclicks > KHS

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2016, 05:58:02 AM »
My tastes this week are a bit trashy.  I am highly amused by the fact that some of these made my top 6.  Finalists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liOpF1oHhu4
unleash the archers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5X7MXfLxEg
Children of the Smith

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV5nuF5lFU8
Shaun Frank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk9AFipS0zg
Simple Plan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8uYGC5wy8k
Thunder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6z5iuGwCbQ
Flo Rida

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 10, 2016, 03:48:00 AM »
Unleash the Archers - Good vocals, eh composition.  Grungy amateur vibe.  I dug the passion that came out at the end.  Bad equalizing on the video, the promotion at the end is suddenly twice the volume of the song, but ehn.  I liked it.

Blind Guardian - Children of the Smith is the song title.  Inverse of the above, Blind Guardian are established artists with top tier production quality and squeaky clean execution, and bring passion to everything they do, even if it's a song for some janky looking game.  They totally kill it here.  In the good sense of kill, that is.  Just stellar.

Shaun Frank - This was okay.  I had trouble understanding the lyrics that weren't "let you get away" repeated 200 times, fortunately the latter fills most of the song.  Had one good groove and stays there.  Not much criticism I can level other than feeling generic and not what I'm into at the moment - Blind Guardian is just a hard act to follow.

Simple Plan - I'm not too much into Christmas Songs and this is trying its hardest to be one.  The guitar is pretty cool, vocals kind of whatever.  Ultimately forgettable to me because it rides so hard on the Christmas Spirit lyrics and jingling bells.

Thunder - A Trashy Kpop Song appears, command?  Trashy in a good way though.  It's fun, I liked the funk, though there isn't too much else special about it and the funk lost some of its appeal once I started concentrating on it.  Slightly above average for Trashy Kpop.

Flo Rida - I like the synth line they've got going here, I like it quite a bit indeed.  And then the trumpet solo kicks in and the second half mixes things up?  Yes please.  The lyrics/video didn't click with me nearly as well, their concept never quite seemed to gel with the tone the music was putting out.  Felt like I'd prefer this as an instrumental.  But it's not that big of a deal, guy's clearly having fun and putting his heart into it anyway.

Somewhat quick reviews today since the boards were down and family nonsense going on.  Very feel-good slate, I liked most of these more than I thought I would from their beginnings.  Blind Guardian is wayyyy too good for me, but Flo Rida, the Archers or even Thunder could win in a different slate.

Blind Guardian > Flo Rida > Unleash the Archers > Thunder > Shaun Frank > Simple Plan

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 10, 2016, 08:14:57 AM »
unleash the archers - This film clip is Vampire the Masquerade.

Blind Guardian - Children of the Smith - I dunno I don't feel it as much as Alex does, but I am sl not going to say no to anything about Dwarves.  It wallows in Dwarf stuff a lot like things about them do, which kind of eh, I like Dwarves in fantasy stuff in part for the culture, but I like it when that's just a background and a setting, not when everyone is literally bonded to clan and culture etc.  not that matter.

Shaun Frank - I like this but by 2 minutes on I was ready for it to be over.  Not enough to maintain 4:21.

Simple Plan - I also wish it was Christmas everyday.  I think everything in this song is pretty much everything life should be.  Every day should be a gift to us all where we can just live free to do what we want and all we could need as an individual was provided and we could do what we will.  Assuming Christmas was an allegory for a Communist Utopia and obviously Marx is Santa.

Thunder - Awkward kid tries to be cool and hit on girls gets shot in the head repeatedly, okay.  Faux leather jacket with a skull and "The Front of Armament" on it is pretty great.  I guess there is a song too.

Flo Rida  - Message is skeevy as fuck.

Unleash the Archers > Blind Guardian > Shaun Frank > the rest whatever.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 16, 2016, 04:41:29 AM »
So..there was new Lady Gaga and new Krewella this week...and somehow neither of them made it into the 6 finalists.  Either a really strong week, or bad taste on my part...but hey, had to make room for Chinese Kraftwerk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mmc8UWo0xL8
Teegan and Sarah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2rMmg-NtaU
Shtevil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oxSjw83u5E
Pentatonix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzywUT_wVUE
The Trews

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA1utOW5P9s
大波浪樂隊 (Big wave band?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfmXD90VWsg
Deep Purple

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 16, 2016, 09:39:13 AM »
Teegan and Sara - Yeah this one is off an album I have been listening to for half a year, of course it is my favourite.  I legit think it is a solid track, not just that it is part of an album I like.

Shtevil - Not as good as the last time they came up.  Still tastes like Diet Black Keys, but definitely tastes more diet this time.  It is still decent enough to get a nod, but not sure how high up it will go.

Pentatonix - I just can't do Christmas music.  This is Christmas music and is completely teflon.

The Trews - Kid Rock in 2016.  Also not the target audience.  Can't do it.  See the comments for why.

大波浪樂隊 (Big wave band?) - Hooooo boy okay, this does put Teegan and Sara to pretty stiff competition.  There is a lot to like here.  I don't think it is quiiiiite Kraftwerk, pretty sure there is the right number of instruments as classic Kraftwerk, but the tones being used and stuff way cleaner than you would get on an old Moog Synth and stuff.  Definitely solidly in that modern Chip Tune aesthetic though where you try and stick to the limitations of the old 8bit hardware but maybe cheat with better instruments and stuff.  If this isn't Alex's Number 1 I will eat a can.

Deep Purple - Is this Deep Purple or Queensryche?  I am not much of a fan of Deep Purple outside of the obvious big hit,  but this is pretty good from a completely different direction.  THis is less hard rock like Smoke on the Water is and a lot more modern prog rock.  Huh.

Lets go this

Teegan and Sara > 大波浪樂隊 > Deep Purple > Shtevil > The Trews > Pentatonix.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 16, 2016, 09:53:05 AM »
Tegan and Sara - Seems like just your typical cheery pop love song with a modern sounding electrobeat?  Catchy but light and doesn't stand out.  Kind of surprised, I expected more from T&S.  The video is super cute, though.

Shtevil - I like it better than last week's christmas song!  Has a classic rock kinda vibe, like the stuff my parents used to play on the car radio for weeks on end.  Solo section is pretty good, although too short.  Overall I could still take or leave it.

Pentatonix - Whoooooo.  I flinched at seeing the P-name here, expecting to yet again type a sorrowful grinching about not liking Christmas Music and/or Pentatonix just blandly singing something when they could do better.  Fortunately, I was wrong, this is awesome!  Exactly the sort of exploration of their talents that I like to hear, lots of variation and harmonies and layering and sound effects and percussion, it's great.  The lyrics still don't do much for me, but hey, it's a really fun listen.

The Trews - I almost just wrote "Nope" and moved on, but to elaborate a bit, yeah this is like the anti-me.  Lyrics, message, theme, concept, vocals, all not my thing at all.  Not much song behind them either.  Poor timing too, not sure I'd want to associate with this messaging for the next year or decade or so.  Not that there's anything wrong with supporting the troops, the troops are cool, but supporting the people who strongly identify with "Support the Troops" tends to line up with some vile stuff... which is already being posted in the video comments.

The Big Wave - This on the other hand is the posi-me.  Very sharp, focused soundscape that makes me think about every note and sound element, while also transporting and refreshing me.  Pretty sure other people are not going to get the same level of experience from it, but yeah, the static, the flow, the emotion... I get really into this style of music and this track is really well done and cool.  Immediately spent the better part of an hour looping and listening to this.  One of my favorites from the entire year of this thread.

Deep Purple - Also doing the throwback thing like Shtevil, but then goes deeper and does it better and runs off to do more of a Pink Floyd vibe.  Really nice atmosphere, tells a story very well.  I dig the vocal work too.  It also makes the guitar lead and vocal lead flow together, which is something I feel like a lot of songs along these general lines neglect.  Can't really point to any huge weaknesses, very enjoyable.

Wow, I have quite some opinions on this group here!  One in the highest of heights for me, another in the lowest of lows, one I expected to dislike but loved, another I expected to like but fell flat.  I'm riding on The Big Wave for sure, and I like Deep Purple over Pentatonix mostly because Pent's lyrics didn't do a lot, but all three of them are outstanding... I know I said that last week too, but these are even better.

The Big Wave > Deep Purple > Pentatonix >>>>>>>>> T&S > Shtevil >>>>>>> The Trews

Grefter has my number as usual.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2016, 12:44:14 PM »
It is less like you are super predictable and more our tastes have some overlap and I know where that is.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 17, 2016, 10:09:09 AM »
Hmmm...ok, so this is not clear cut.

My #1 was Shtevil, which was 4th from Grefter, 5th from Alex.  (Total 10, this probably isn't happening).

My #2 was Teegan and Sarah (1st from Grefter, 4th from Alex, but below Alex's big gap).  (Total 7)

Big Wave is Alex's #1, and #2 from Grefter, I'm not sure for me, but maybe 5th from me.  (Total 8)

Pentatonix was probably 3rd or 4th from me, 3rd from Alex, 6th from Grefter (total 12.5)

Deep Purple was...3rd or 4th from me, 2nd from Alex, 3rd from Grefter (total 8.5)

(And Trews doesn't really register above 4th for anyone).

OK, so like...sounds like this is between Teegan and Sarah, Big Wave, and Deep Purple.  Teegan and Sarah are numerically ahead, but also are the only one on the wrong side of Alex's >>>>>>, so take a point off for that and it's basically a tie.

Hmm...well, I will tiebreak against a lyric video in general, especially one that's just words on a screen with maybe the band logo, so bye Deep Purple.

So...teegan and sarah vs Big Wave.

Hmm...well this is basically experimental vs safe.  Let's see...last week was pretty safe (children of the smith).  Week before was pretty safe (Tove Lo).  OK, experimental it is then.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2016, 08:08:03 AM »
OK, so I'm thinking being three days before Christmas, and that we have good Christmas options, I'll just end up picking out Christmas music for this week.

So....right now I'm just listing the Christmas stuff, which I'll get out of the way now.  I'll post the rest of the music later, which I'll be saving for the week after when I'll be on vacation (going to keep collecting that).

For now...the christmas options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj7Pr42rliI&t=0s
Pentatonix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtgUbF3UupI
Matt Terry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oxSjw83u5E
Pentatonix (from last week)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2rMmg-NtaU
Shtevil (from last week)

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2016, 10:19:50 PM »
Quick and dirty: Pentatonix last week > Shtevil > Matt Terry > Pentatonix this week. 

Fairly tight grouping though.  Covered the first two last time.  Matt Terry is like those two intertwined, but lesser emotional appeal than Shtevil and lesser technicals than Pentatonix.  Penta this week... well, O Come is a Lutheran staple hymn so I hear/sing this myself constantly.  I like the backbeat, and the style is an interesting choice, but not one that I feel fits the lyrics.  I don't get a sense of the faithful coming to Bethlehem and adoring anything, more like coming to a party and downing some shots.  The visuals indicate they were trying for a Black Church style, but to my boring white bread senses, the most defining characteristic of that style is an underlying drive of heart and earnest devotion, and I don't hear much of that here. 

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 30, 2016, 08:02:39 AM »
OK, this week's finalists (basically the non-christmas music from last week).  Also, if these selections are weak, feel free to remind me of ones we missed before as this is a smaller selection vacation week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iys9IHmDJ1w
Bastille

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lKYdrL-AAw
Battle Beast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVLK-sEk12M
Olly Murs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdny3tVtmVc
Julian Jordan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__TvPr_Wtvc
Timmy Trumpet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNmRCGMFYrQ
Teegan and Sarah