Register

Author Topic: Heavy Team Tourney  (Read 1467 times)

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
Heavy Team Tourney
« on: February 02, 2016, 03:39:17 PM »
So, I had this idea a while back and I actually want to capitalize on it this time :P. I always liked team matches since they have some of the coolest analysis (see Nyarlies) and unfortunately they are somewhat underrepresented. Since we don't have one running at the moment, I am starting one. With blackjack and hookers, of course.

Depending on how many submissions we get, I'll see how I want to format this tournament. If we only have a few teams, it will probably be against a list/round robin of opponents, at which point winner is determined to be the one who has the most wins. If we have a lot of teams, we can probably do the above like playoffs before setting teams to go off against each other. So as to what you will be fighting right now, that is a mystery ;).

Some rules though. First as the name implies, please make teams using up to Heavies only. Each team should be made up of 3 people although if you want to use only 2 for some reason, that's okay too. Due note that your overall team composition should at least be able to put up a fight with Godlike duelers (and not the bad ones like FUJIN).

Second rule: Please use fighters from primarily ranked games. As a general rule, if you want to submit a team, do not include Not Ranked stuff or stuff without a stat topic. This doesn't mean you can't make a team with like say Shulk in it, but due note that I will get the final say on whether or not it participates.  Use the CKDL as a gauge for what is Heavy and what isn't. I

Finally, give your team a name and maybe a description of any synergy that they have. If there aren't that many submissions, I may end up Hatboting teams to make this work so, no worries about this thing not getting off the ground.

And with that, happy team making! This will close within a week from now. Go!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 02:15:09 PM by Tide »
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy Team Tourney
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 11:12:30 PM »
Some rules though. First as the name implies, teams should be Heavies only. Each team should be made up of 3 people although if you want to use only 2 for some reason, that's okay too. Why Heavies? It has a sizable group of fighters and it's the next most interesting set after Godlike. Also, I don't think people want to see Light slapfests. Middle was another idea, but we're going to stick to Heavies for this one.

So...  DL Heavies, or up-to-Heavies?  (I ask since, as Nyarlie's showed, there's a lot of difference between "good in a duel" and "good in a teamfight."  Plenty of Lights & Middles that earn their weight in a teamfight, plenty of Heavies which are actually subpar there.  BUT if the theme is going to be DL Heavies, that's fine of course.)

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 11:23:17 PM »
Probably should be "Up to Heavies". I'll make that change. Modified where I think the power level should be as well for your team.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 11:27:02 PM by Tide »
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 12:46:50 AM »
I want to assume bosses are a no-no for filling out teams? 3x Heavy bosses could be silly.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 01:21:09 AM »
3x Heavy bosses are fine if you really want to. Again, the power level I estimate should be at least about godlike level. Worse comes to worse, I'll move the team to a bonus round or something. You could very well expect to run into potentially stronger stuff, so I advise you to go nuts. Just a make a note for me I guess if you think the team is too strong.
<@Claude> yahtzee

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 07:26:43 AM »
I got the impression from chat that Tide was looking for teams on the powerful side, so. Just some random ideas, I might add more later.

Tide speedrun special:
Jeremy (WA4), Tidus (FFX), Jet (WA3)

JET INITIATIVE HYPE ALL THE TURNS then explode horribly if they don't kill everyone.  Note that Time Mages won the FF Class tournament so don't mess with Tidus in a team match.

Spoiling Skies (this team is actually no fun, please reject, but it does involve a Light and is probably super good anyway.)
Vyse, Aika, Enrique (SoA)

So...  this team is immune to magic.  And basic physicals.  And for anything that doesn't fit through that set, Enrique can just make the team halve all damage instead.

Dragon Sandbags
Guv (no Call Team), Angelo, Cristo (DQ8, DQ4)

Everybody has healing & revival!  Also defense buffing.  Take the slow road to victory.  pls no status though.  (I'm assuming Guv's Call Team is illegal hence he's a Low Heavy at best, and since he was nommed' in just Heavy recently, shouldn't be too controversial).

The Perfect Team
Wakka (FFX), Wugui (SH), Alfina (G3)

Perfect physical evasion, perfect magic immunity, & status immunity.  You need a mix of threats to deal with 'em.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 06:43:41 AM by SnowFire »

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 04:19:24 PM »
Question: Would people see something like the Performer's ability to give 1 BP to an ally working on non-BD characters and allow them to double-act?

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 07:32:45 PM »
Tidus (and a fair bit of the FFX brigade) is Godlike. Or at least is disputable enough to be excluded.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 07:39:17 PM »
Neph: Personally?  Yes, I'd see it working like it does in-game to enemies who normally won't gain BP, but can get BP from allies / Hasten World / etc.  Enemies who get surprise BP this way always *immediately* spend all of it next turn, they don't strategically stockpile it or anything.

Note that BD Brave can only be spent at the start of a turn (a la WA2 FP or the like), so in general this means that even if Performer is faster than an ally, the ally can't actually use their newly acquired BP until the next turn = turn 2, where they then get a double-act when their turn comes around.  No double-acting on turn 1 due to being slower than Performer.

Pyro: Tidus & Wakka both visited Godlike, but I thought they downgraded to Heavy?  They're both super-good, I agree, and wouldn't use them by default, but Tide was talking in chat about "don't come whining if your WIMPY TEAM of Middles all get OHKOd, only uber Heavies need apply, did you know that Saskatoon is not the capital of Saskatchewan," etc.  Happy to replace 'em if Tide thinks so, though.

Nephrite

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 08:15:48 PM »
Team "Who Are These People?"

Performer, Knight, Red Mage - Bravely Default

Team "Praline and some creepy fans"

Diva of the Battlefield Praline A La Mode (BD), Dehuai (SH), Garland (FF9)

Team DRAGONS

Zog (BoF1), Sara (BoF1) and Ryu (BoF1)

« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 01:35:58 PM by Nephrite »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 01:01:06 AM »
Random comments first:

-I completely agree with Snowfire's take on BD Performer's interaction with non-BD characters, for the record.

-I'm pretty sure most people allow Call Team (Guv was ranked in Godlike and went 3-4 rather than 0-4 there), and I don't see any reason to nom Guv if you don't. There are plenty of other bland-but-kinda-tanky healers. Heck, just use Solo/Sofia! Less interp issues, more Super happiness points.

-Please don't nom Salve-Maker for anything, it is Godlike under some views (not mine) and there is a ridiculous gap in how good people see him/her in general.

Swordskillz:
Agrias, Meliadoul, Beowulf (FFT)

The three non-Orlandu PC swordskillers. Not the most impressive Heavies and no MT, but they are difficult to kill due to FFT equip nonsense and can take out key opponents with weapon break and status.

Here comes the sun:
Ho-oh, Groudon, Exeggutor (Pokemon) [no mega forms]

Variation on a two-mon team seen recently. Ho-oh and Groudon are two of the best pokemon who miss the Godlike cut, and Exeggutor is every bit as good in the sun due to that whole 2x speed thing.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 07:19:15 AM »
Valentine Family Reunion:
Keith Valentine, Joachim Valentine, Hilda Valentine.

My Right Hand is the God (piece) Hand:
Riou, Geddoe, Lazlo

Princess Tea Party:
Princess Toadstool, Nina2, Clarissa

Barber Shop Triplets:
Ryu1, Crono, Ness

Nephrite

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 01:36:15 PM »
Swapped Salve-Maker for Red Mage.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2016, 02:28:17 AM »
Riou is in Godlike due to his damage, which probably isn't too amazing in a team match format being ST but hey.

Some boring team ideas?

Team Boss Rush:
Lassic, Marcello, Jenova

Team Ragnarok:
Hrist, Ull, Surt

Team Death:
Lede, Celia, Wugui

Team Boom:
Jowy Atreides, Lyon, Geno

Team Immunity:
Pamela Ibis, Wugui, Worker 8

Team Boss Support:
Hilda, Lloyd (LoD), Lilka

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2016, 09:12:30 AM »
Some silly ideas:

"Burn to the ground"  "Fire is so pretty."
Vulcanus (Disgaea), Surt (VP), Gladiator Faris (FF5a)

Overkill ST Fire damage.  Vulnerable to being spoiled by fire immunity or absorption.

Popular with the ladies:
Edgar (FF6), Zelos (ToS), Ronfar (Lunar 2)

Noiseblaster is bonkers in a team setting.  Also has token healer.

Someone gag them already:
Decus (SO2), Precis (SO2), Chu-chu (XG)

Voices that could be regarded as weapons of mass destruction.  Chu-chu is filler: still open to suggestions for the slot.

I wanna be the Guy next Dr. Wily
Hojo (FF7), Bowman (SO2), Lexis (Lufia 2)

Wear white lab coats and create things of various degrees of shadiness

Team "I feel pretty."
Cloud (FF7), Lucius (FE7), Caina (WA2)

men in touch with their feminine sides
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 09:33:17 AM by DragonKnight Zero »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 08:49:00 AM »
Pyro: We probably shouldn't have Wugui in 3 times & Hilda in twice.  Also, Hrist was ranked a Godlike at last check in the old DL, the "downgrade" to Heavy was a bug in the last season, although I suppose she is borderline since she was 0-2 in Godlike.  I guess it's okay if it's restricted to PC Hrist?  Dunno what respect for VP2 bosses there is these days.  And I have no idea about Ull, Tide or Elf would know more.  Jowy is a victim of the same bug as Hrist, he was actually ranked Godlike at last check.  Normally I'd say "Borderliner, so could go either direction," but pretty sure he actually WON a Shift Tournament (or at least got to the finals?) which would imply he's on the Low Godlike side of the divide.

DK0: Do we even have Gladiator stats somewhere?  Not a big deal I suppose with the number of crazed FF5 types around, but think that the old jobs topic was SNES-version only.

Anyway, another team idea along the lines of DK0's Fire idea...

Ice is Nice
Nel (SO3), Articuno (PKMN), Marle (CT)

Not a great team but it's on theme!  Too bad that Abomasnow doesn't really carry weight here.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2016, 05:38:32 PM »
Ull went 0-1 in Godlike and then downgraded, but a number of people believe the downgrade should not have occurred. Still, while we could quibble if he's OP for heavy normally, this isn't the hill to do it on, given that he's relatively less strong in a team match due to being so ST-focused.

Boss Hrist is worse than Ull so yeah no big. A lot of people feel PC is better anyway, so no "restriction" is necessary. She was 6-2 Heavy, 0-2 Godlike, which meets my requirements to be nommed in Heavy at least.

I could always get some Gladiator stats if need be.

Maybe.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2016, 08:57:32 PM »
Well if we're doing elemental teams...

Team Lighting
Geddoe (S3), Odie (SN), Haschel (LoD)

They struggle pretty horribly against lightning resistance but oh well.

Team DARKNESS
Cthulhu (CStW), Athos (FE7), Sierra (S2)

Darkness-focused PCs are more versatile. Cthulhu can even reduce elemental resistance!

Maybe.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2016, 11:04:43 PM »
Imperial Slaughter:

Endora (OB), Doel (LoD), Barbarossa (S1)

Team clones:

Chaz (PS4), Claude (SO2), Cress (ToP) (Feel free to punt, this just amused me.)

Bringers of Light:

Raze (MK2), Kurando (SH2), Serge (CC)

Gunslingers:

Emelia (SaGa), Clarissa (XF), Gilder (SoA)

"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2016, 06:27:03 AM »
And closed! Thanks to everyone who submitted team ideas :D. First match post to come later.
<@Claude> yahtzee