Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2016?  (Read 94006 times)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
What Games are you playing 2016?
« on: December 31, 2015, 02:31:27 PM »
Magic the Gathering Puzzle Quest - To anyone that knows either franchise this sounds like it is potential crack.  To anyone that knows both they know it should be.

In reality it is honestly just kind of mediocre.  The pacing mechanics are out of whack even for a Free 2 Play game.  The Logins are solid enough that you will turn the app on each day, but not necessarily do anything in it.  There is no events running.  Player vs Player is actually just playing against other peoples decks with AI control, everyone has shitty decks because getting cards is too hard and the AI can't use Planeswalker abilities effectively.  Story enemies scale up HP super fast.  Some of the special things to do to get free premium currency are fucking stupid.  Enemy has over 100 health.  Kill them in 7 turns.  How about you fuck off.  Oh and the enemies get Mythic Rares by the time I am up to.  So if they draw a lot of them your wrecked.  There is cards that are flat out strictly better at higher rarities (I play Red, Red starts with a Lightning Bolt in Common for 6 mana, 3 damage.  I got a Rare, 6 mana, 6 damage, Mythics are bonkers).

When the game works the Match 3 gameplay is pretty fun, when it fails it is mostly because you drew shit cards and lol ur fuked.

Do not recommend.  Only sticking with it to see if time smooths out the play loop with time.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2016?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 02:40:49 PM »
There been a good puzzle quest game after PQ2?
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 04:24:52 PM »
There been a good puzzle quest game after PQ1?

Fixed that for you.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 05:21:32 PM »
Playing Pokémon omega ruby.

Ugh. Sceptile looks cooler in his mid evolution ohase. Should have picked swampert!

My team is bad, but I haven't found any cool Pokémon I like yet. I might level up magicarp for a decent water user.

Dunno.

Team in my current party is:
27 machop
21 swablu
25 golbat (a personal fav of mine, he can be made to be really competent depending. Just gotta make him happy so h3 will evolve again!)
23 numel (I forget if he gets that heat passive upon evolution or by default, cause he doesn't have warm body or whatever now...which makes him useless for....)
Egg (what could it be!?!?!)

Got the girlfriend the blue version so machop will be hers when he eventually evolves.

Fun so far, I guess.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 07:07:54 PM »
Look at this cheating Grefter, it totally wasn't 2016 yet in Australia when you posted this.

Anyway, since it's December 31, the High Committee has met and awarded the Best Post of WGAYP 2015 to Fenrir for "Quadruple Rondo", closely beating out discussions on the morality of organ donations:

<3 NotMiki
(And Gref so he's not jealous)

I think I played Baroque more than Dark Souls. The game made me crazy.
I completed the whole baroque database.

Sting games (except Baroque) are funny because they have a ton of insane mechanics interfering with each other all the time and they're all kinda relevant. (except in Riviera because Riviera is piss easy)

FFT is kinda like that, but you soon figure out that you don't really need to give a fuck about stuff like Brave/Faith and zodiac signs, while Sting games throw in your face all the time (because of the ridiculous UI) that everything in this game matters.

I played Rondo of Swords for a short while but I wasn't ready for a Sting game at the time. I know Sting didn't make the game, but, here, let me just try adding a bunch of text with 10 different fonts on a random Rondo of Swords screenshot, and it instantly becomes a Sting game.

Congratulations!  Please report to Golgorand Execution Site for your reward.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 09:06:58 PM »
Exist Archive - Tri-Ace and its bugs. Need I continue? The one that triggers when using Demon's Greed is the most damaging to my cardiac health.

Granblue Fantasy - My god, just what's wrong with the players and the new year gatcha!? Especially those who are pulling for the half-baked Anchira.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 07:49:42 AM »
My kid got a PS4 for Christmas, so now I can finally play games from two years ago.

Bloodborne:  So I kept dying to the werewolf in the first area, and somehow missed the free weapons in the hunter's realm.  I eventually had to just run past the werewolf.  So I was out in the open world with nothing but my bare fists.  Did pretty okay!  Then I went back to a "bonfire" to see if it would heal me.  It didn't, but I found the free weapons after that.  I'm sure the rest of the game will be easymode now that I have weapons!

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 08:02:58 AM »
Plague of Shadows: Completed this just before the New Year, because I'm a slacker.  Anyway, the key thing I note about Plague Knight is how many more pit deaths I got since his knock back compared to Shovel Knight is so much greater, and despite having fail safes like the Beaker, it's still very easy to just die horribly.

Bosses were generally easier across the board I felt outside of Propeller Knight whose a complete ass.  Story is cute and silly, and screw it, I'm avataring Plague Knight now because...well...

[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2016, 08:14:33 AM »
CK2-  House Stark sits the Iron Throne, guided by King Brynden the Wise, who proved the world was round (I guess people didn't know that).  Inexplicably the Faith of the Seven is angry about that but fuck em, they're just looking for an excuse because they do not respect my northern ways.

Don't ever offer to join a Dothraki Khal's wars because they'll just keep picking new fights so you can never be at peace.  It's kind of shit.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2016, 03:10:10 PM »
Kuwabara, kuwabara

MGS3: I got Ocelot's tasteless animal camo but pretty much immediately gave up on getting The Pain's. Too hard to line up headshots with all that backflipping. Actually the really trying thing there was just that your real adversary is MGS swimming and I wanted to get out of the fucking room already.

Calling Sigint while in the cardboard box is the best part of the game.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 05:23:38 PM »
Thanks Snowfire!

Gunpoint: I'm really late here, but Gunpoint is great. It's some 2D infiltration game in which you have super boosts for super jumps but also can hack everything. So you can link a guard's gun to a light switch; if you press the switch, the guard's gun will go off. It is cool. There are many interesting ways to approach the game, plus upgrades, etc etc.
The storyline is neo-noir cyberpunk and goes into highly unexpected and amusing directions. During like half the missions, I was actively working against my contractors in secret? And they aren't even bad people, I was just covering my tracks.
I love the sense of humour shown in the achievements:
- There's an achievement for kicking a door, one for kicking a door into a guard, and another for kicking a door into a window called "Might as well have an achievement for that too" In game, you get the three of them in quick succession.
- If you're bad at this game you're going to make an elaborate hacking process that is going to lead into you getting knocked out by a door. This happened to me and I got an achievement for it.
- There's "Title Finally Relevant" with the description: "Help justify my early, not entirely wise choice of game name by holding someone at gunpoint with the Resolver" In practice you just don't really use the gun.
- There's "Acknowledged Ludonarrative Dissonance" for acknowledging that you've killed far more people than you've avenged at the very end.
- I can't tell much about it, but there's one achievement for almost telling the truth but chickening out at the last minute, and I burst out laughing.
It is also 3 hours long, which is no longer a problem for me.

Invisible Inc: Another insanely stylish neo-noir cyberpunk games. The animated character portraits are gorgeous, and I can't understand why nobody has made animated gifs yet. Look at any gameplay video and watch those portraits on the lower left side of the screen. Jesus.
This seems like a perfection of the X-Com model so far. All my complaints about X-Com are gone and I feel like I really could lose myself in this.
The game has a stealthier approach: There are no HP bars and you are meant to sneak around by using cover and incapaciting enemies. You can also kill enemies, but killing has huge drawbacks. Stealth is easy because there's a peek button, you see enemy "vision cones", and can move one step at a time instead of having to move all the way all the time.
Finishing the one objective and escaping is usually easy enough, but there are a lot of side objectives that lead to $$$. On the other hand, the alarm level is constantly raising and you do not want to waste any time. What do you do? There are a lot of agonizing choices to make, and the game is very good at punishing greed. There is no RNG and there's no need to.
Campaigns are shorter but the game is meant to be replayed a lot. You get stuff for finishing or losing the game, unlocking new characters and things. In fact in your first playthrough you only have two characters out of four and you're supposed to play on easy.

Bloodborne: I finished the DLC, got all the bosses on the first try except Laurence. 50 Vit / 50 Str build, lol.
Bloodborne gets to be the first game in which the Fishing Hamlet is not the first or second place you see in the game, a peaceful village with peaceful NPCs, but the last place with the hardest monsters.
The bosses are cool, the level design is cool, everything is cool. My one complaint is that all these new weapons could have fixed my problem with Bloodborne (a lack of weapons), but in practice they're fairly difficult to get because they're all in the postgame difficulty DLC. I'd have liked it better if they had put them early on in the rest of the regular game instead.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 06:38:40 PM »
The animated character portraits are gorgeous, and I can't understand why nobody has made animated gifs yet

Okay so this is my first animated gif then:

(Why is it slightly slower than in game?
I have delved in the world of animated gifs and don't know if I can go back)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 06:40:39 PM by Fenrir »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2016, 10:39:06 PM »
And here is Central the main character

This is the coolest game

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2016, 11:45:56 PM »
Gif will animate at a specific number of frames per second at a fixed rate.  The animation in game experience acts to run faster than that so they have more frames of animation that play faster in game.

And yes Invisible Inc is neat.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2016, 12:22:09 AM »
Princess Remedy In A World Of Hurt - played through twice

Fairly pleasant and short.

I managed to fail some of the healing segments multiple times on the easiest difficulty, so I'm not going to bother with any of the harder difficulties.

Got the Jealous Chest on my second play and ended up with 101%. Also married pretty much everyone I can think of. A shame that you can't go back to Saturn (or at least I didn't end up finding a way) to marry any of the people there. Note that there are more options for marriage than the game initially suggests.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2016, 02:07:32 PM »
Huniepop:  This game's depiction of sex is right on the nose.  The first time you have sex you expect it to be easy like masturbation.  But the rules have changed and you have no idea what you're doing.  She cools off faster than you can heat her up.  And when you finally do get going you're concentrating so much on what you're doing that you don't even look at the naked girl in front of you.

So far I have banged Jessie and Tiffany.  Because I am a pillar of virtue.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2016, 04:39:43 PM »
Invisible Inc: Finished one campaign, restarted on experimented with Banks + Yu.

I found Draco hidden somewhere. His main twist is that he only levels up by killing enemies. I then didn't manage to find a single lethal weapon in all the later runs. I'm in day 3 and he still has base stats.

Then I found Derek, who has a neat teleportation device. I used it once to see it in action, then exited the level before realizing that the message I got when leaving wasn't "Do you really want to exit Y/N" but "Are you sure you want to leave your teleportation device in there Y/N" I never would have thought Derek wouldn't have picked it up after teleporting. AAARGH. There is no point to Derek anymore.

In short I have two characters who are only good as recon/item carriers/sitting on guards.
Banks + Yu are still amazing with amazing stats at that point, so whatever.

I love the feeling you get when you realize that you should really really leave this level now because Alarm level is 4, and 3 super mega guards know where you are and are heading to your position, and you have everybody sprint to the exit while triggering every alarm on the way.
But there's another safe not far from here, you might want to reach it.

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2016, 05:01:53 PM »
Invisible Inc: Finished one campaign, restarted on experimented with Banks + Yu.

I found Draco hidden somewhere. His main twist is that he only levels up by killing enemies. I then didn't manage to find a single lethal weapon in all the later runs. I'm in day 3 and he still has base stats.

Then I found Derek, who has a neat teleportation device. I used it once to see it in action, then exited the level before realizing that the message I got when leaving wasn't "Do you really want to exit Y/N" but "Are you sure you want to leave your teleportation device in there Y/N" I never would have thought Derek wouldn't have picked it up after teleporting. AAARGH. There is no point to Derek anymore.

In short I have two characters who are only good as recon/item carriers/sitting on guards.
Banks + Yu are still amazing with amazing stats at that point, so whatever.

I love the feeling you get when you realize that you should really really leave this level now because Alarm level is 4, and 3 super mega guards know where you are and are heading to your position, and you have everybody sprint to the exit while triggering every alarm on the way.
But there's another safe not far from here, you might want to reach it.
Welcome to the club, bro. Invisible Inc is an awesome game.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2016, 05:46:04 PM »
Mass Effect 3 - The game seems to be fairly intent on not letting me play it. I try to load my save file, the 'checking downloadable content' screen won't go away, can't load. I delete my save file and try to start over. It works, but then when I try to load the save again it doesn't work. So I try deleting the DLC, but that doesn't help. Then I look around online, discover that this is a pretty common problem, and the main suggested solution was to unplug the router on the xbox. I do that, but then it says that because I deleted the DLC I can't load the save file. So now I need to figure out how to connect to the Internet in the game again without triggering this stupid message. More digging reveals that there is some temporary workaround that I use, so I redownload the DLC...

Okay, so we can actually play the fucking game again. I did the mission on Mars and met our old friend The Illusive Man. I enjoyed this section, it definitely drew me in plotwise. Gameplay is still ME gameplay, but what can you do.

Splatoon - I've been playing this a bunch, mostly 4v4 multiplayer but I've been dabbling a bit into singleplayer. I like the rapidfire weapon.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2016, 10:16:19 PM »
Okay, so we can actually play the fucking game again. I did the mission on Mars and met our old friend The Illusive Man. I enjoyed this section, it definitely drew me in plotwise. Gameplay is still ME gameplay, but what can you do.

It gets better when you advance your character somewhat and start to see a clearer class identity emerge.  Vanguard doesn't really hit it's stride as an exploding pinball until you've picked up a few upgrades, for instance.

e:  Unless you played Soldier, that shit gets real boring

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2016, 12:42:10 AM »
Where my Pokémon peeps at!?!? I need to fill up my secret base with fools.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2016, 02:08:24 AM »

It gets better when you advance your character somewhat and start to see a clearer class identity emerge.  Vanguard doesn't really hit it's stride as an exploding pinball until you've picked up a few upgrades, for instance.

e:  Unless you played Soldier, that shit gets real boring

It doesn't bro.  She is playing on X-Box.  I watched it and the controls are just so much less responsive than KB/Mouse.  I felt really bad.

Think it was Engineer last time I looked (Because if your shooting inputs are shit you may as well be a Tech Lord of the Sith and shoot Lightning and Fire from behind cover).

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2016, 03:17:30 AM »
FF7 - Got about 2500 BP left after buying Omnislash. Is Speed Plus worth grinding out another 1500 BP or should I just buy some random cheap stuff and get out? The three part battle mechanics guide on gamefaqs is too dense to tell at a quick glance if speed is a worthwhile stat in this game or not.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2016, 03:19:55 AM »
FFVII speed is noticeable but not super-potent?  I dunno if it's really worth the Materia slot for it.  Unless 1500 BP is fairly trivial (it's been a while) I'd say just cash out.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2016, 03:59:51 AM »
You wanna get Final attack instead yeah?  Or was that just a random thing from Chocolate Racing?