Author Topic: DLC10 Wrapup!  (Read 4834 times)

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
DLC10 Wrapup!
« on: August 03, 2015, 01:08:44 AM »
DLC for me started the night before. I worked a really long shift so I'd be caught up when I left, got home and did laundry... and promptly washed my wallet. Ended up crashing on Shale's couch that night, with DLC off to a profane and annoyed start.

Got up at 4:50 for my flight out the DC area.I got to read a bunch on the flight over, it was an uneventful flight. Took the BART from the airport all the way down to El Cerrito. With a little trial and error, I manage to figure out how to get from the BART station down to the road where we're staying for the con! I pull up my phone to see the DL and get the street address... and find that the DL is down. Fuck.  oh, but I can just text someone from the group!.... except that I didn't port over my old contacts when I got a new phone. Double fuck. Not a big deal though, right? I wrote the address down and put it in my wallet... and then promptly washed it the previous night. Triple fuck.  Soppy and Gref wander out, which is how I figure it out. I exchange some choice bad words and then wander in. I spend a couple of hours hanging out and catching up with Dhyer and talking to other people, then crashing super early thursday.

Oh, I do remember giving Tonfa his Ludvig Borga card. That was worth the price of admission.

Friday was better. I got up before anyone else and browsed the net for a bit till Cmdr got up. I dragoon him into going out since I'm bored and it's always good to talk to people one on one or in small groups at cons. It's especially true here, as CK wasn't at DLC last year. We headed out for coffee and donuts at this point down at the local coffee shop. It was pretty good quality but not amazingly great by any means. We buy a few things at the grocery store after that. One broken bottle of tea later, we're out of the store and on our way back. We catch a large group of people headed towards breakfast at this point and we decide to tag along. I talk with Elf and Ciato a bunch on this trip, Gate too. I just get coffee here, more tag along for the company.

After that, it's heading back to the con house. A SF trip is vaguely talked about but never materalizes. Oh well. I spend time talking to people. I met Dragonknightzero, who was pretty cool. (Sorry we didn't talk more man!)  I help LD grab a few things from her apartment around this time, with only minor property damage. After a bit, I drag some people along for a trip to the bookstore. I walk up there with Dhyer, Ciato, Dragonknight, Cmdr, and VSM, and Miki. I spend way too long babbling about the Wheel of Time on the way up. Good times are had in the bookstore, and I buy myself a short story collection. I also foist off a Sanderson story on VSM talk with him extensively about Dresden files as well. Dinner that night was at a pasta place, which was most excellent.

Saturday started with walking to a local coffee shop. I got to talk to Gref on this walk, which is good as we didn't cross paths much at DLC. I also got to hang out with Soppy (which I rarely do at cons) and VSM, and BS about books.  Spent time on the wal kto the bowling alley talking with MC and Elfboy both. I bowl better than usual at least!! After bowling, it's dinner with Miki/Nick/Dhyer, the music quiz, and BSing with people till bed.

Didn't get to talk much with the Majong crew (Laggy/Nitori/Tonfa/Tal) which is sad. Also didn't talk much with Andy, which is a combo of him playing board games+being sick. I spent the most time with Dhyer, then Miki/Nick/VSM/Ciato/Elf.

Sunday I get up early, pack up and leave.! I buy Ashley coffee as thanks for getting up at a godforsaken time of the morning for driving me to the airport.  10 seconds after Ashley drives off, I realize that I left my luggage at the rental house. Fuck. It was fun this year! The con flew by as I was only really there for two days. Not having to drive really made it go by faster as well! The flight back was super quick, as the second half of Cordelia's honor made the flight go by in a blink.

Con highlights: Catching up with Dhyer, Dresden talk with VSM and Soppy, and the couple of times I got people (Cmdr/LD) and really got to talk to them one on one for a long period of time. Playing Set was also really fun. Meeting Dragonknightzero and realizing that we had crossed paths with some of the same people over the years was fun too.  E: Completely forgot, was also awesome to talk to Magey. Whoops!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 01:11:57 AM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
Re: DLC10 Wrapup!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 03:23:28 AM »
I read your post for stories of bad things happening to you and you delivered. Thanks, Soupy.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 05:25:48 AM »
Short "Posting from home, all things went mostly smoothly in return trip" notice.  Will return with a proper update next post/when internet stops being fail.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 01:00:02 AM »
The Vancouverites have arrived safely home. DLCon was a lot of fun. Will post more when not tired.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 12:12:11 AM »
With the last person who's not staying for another vacation off on his flight, DLCX is officially over. No one ended up at the hospital, only a couple things forgotten, I was paid exactly enough to cover the cost of the rental (thanks to Gate who was staying at a hotel)... I'll consider that a success!

3:30am - 6am is not my favorite way to start days, but it was worth it. Despite crazy stress from stupid work things, at least Saturday and Sunday got to be drama free both in-DL and out.

Thank you all for the food, fun, conversation, ridiculously awesome-bad karaoke, new stupid in-jokes, and reminders why it sucks when I don't get to go to other DLCons.

Most importantly, thank you for not destroying the house.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 06:39:42 AM »
I think I speak for all of us when I say it is our pleasure to meet your low expectations.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 06:11:58 PM »
I think I speak for all of us when I say it is our pleasure to meet your low expectations.

Seriously though. It was fun seeing you all. I enjoyed myself aside from catching plague.

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 09:26:23 PM »
PRETTY sure you benefit more than the rest of us on the whole "low expectations" front, bro.

Trip was amazing. San Francisco is lovely and if I ever win the lottery (twice?) I'll move out that way.

Comprehensive thoughts.... do we do those anymore? Whatevs.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 10:57:04 PM »
PRETTY sure you benefit more than the rest of us on the whole "low expectations" front, bro.

Trip was amazing. San Francisco is lovely and if I ever win the lottery (twice?) I'll move out that way.

Comprehensive thoughts.... do we do those anymore? Whatevs.

You could mention the new word you learned from a certain book you read on the con.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 10:53:20 PM »
I, personally, was hoping for more comprehensive thoughts so I could at least enjoy DLCon the Tenth vicariously. (Still sucks that I couldn't go. My summer break literally starts as I'm typing this.)

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 11:49:59 PM »
I had a lot of fun. We drove up from Vancouver, which was very long and tiring and took a lot of energy out of me on the first day. I played a lot of board games, particularly Dominion which was quite fun, and generally had fun chatting with different folks. Elf, Magey, and I played LFT to entertain Laggy. Zalera was a long, epic drag out. We drained his MP and thought that it would be smooth sailing, but then one of the skeletons turned into a crystal at a height that no one could reach except Zalera, and then lol. We ended up winning the fight anyway after an hour and a half, but it was pretty epic. Ended up fighting Adramelk as well during that run, which took some tinkering but we managed to cheese him out with Laggystrats. Eight player Smash was a pretty excellent experience as well, and I enjoyed playing Mario Kart as well.

Otherwise, we mostly just ate lots of food and walked around. Bowling was good, even though I didn't bowl very well. Got 76 and 97?
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2015, 08:02:06 PM »
Bowling scores! Much bigger group this time around compared to the last 2-3 years. Probably because it was in walking distance?

Game 1
1. Grefter - 105
2. Ash - 100
3t. Soppy - 99
3t. Tal - 99
5t. Ciato - 76
5t. Gate - 76
5t. Tonfa - 76
8. Jim - 75
9. Mage - 73
10. Dhyer - 72
11t. Andy - 69
11t. Nitori - 69
13. NEB - 68
14. Super - 65
15. Meeple - 62
16. mc - 58
17. CK - 53
18. VSM - 49
19. Kier - 39

Game 1 Average - 72.8

Game 2
1. Tal - 137
2. Dhyer - 126
3. Gate - 124
4. Grefter - 111
5. Soppy - 105
6t. Andy - 96
6t. Meeple - 96
8. Ciato - 92
9. mc - 78
10. VSM - 73
11t. Kier - 71
11t. Nitori - 71
13. Tonfa - 69
14. NEB - 67
15. Super - 64
16. CK - 45
17. Jim - 42
18. Ash - 39

Game 2 Average - 83.7

Best Single Game
1. Tal - 137 (2)
2. Dhyer - 126 (2)
3. Gate - 124 (2)
4. Grefter - 111 (2)
5. Soppy - 105 (2)
6. Ash - 100 (1)
7t. Andy - 96 (2)
7t. Meeple - 96 (2)
9. Ciato - 92 (2)
10. mc - 78 (2)
11. Tonfa - 76 (1)
12. Jim - 75 (1)
13t. Mage - 73 (1)
13t. VSM - 73 (2)
15t. Kier - 71 (2)
15t. Nitori - 71 (2)
17. NEB - 68 (1)
18. Super - 65 (1)
19. CK - 53 (1)

Best Single Game Average - 88.9

Total Combined Scores
1. Tal - 236
2. Grefter - 216
3. Gate - 210
4. Soppy - 204
5. Dhyer - 198
6. Ciato - 168
7. Andy - 165
8. Meeple - 158
9. Tonfa - 145
10. Nitori - 140
11. Ash - 139
12. mc - 136
13. NEB - 135
14. Super - 129
15. VSM - 122
16. Jim - 117
17. Kier - 110
18. CK - 98

Total Combined Scores Average - 157

Notes: Mage only played the one game, so he's only counted towards that one game's average. Holy shit, NEB. You choked harder than I usually do this year, looking at some previous years. Heck, at 5, on the same lanes, you bowled 116/130 for 246 and 3rd place. The averages went down sharply compared to the last couple years though. Not sure how much is because of bigger group and how much is because the top bowlers didn't do as well as normal. Grefbro kept saying it was because the place was terrible, but we pulled a 97.4 on our combined scores at DLC5, with way more people breaking 100. We just, collectively, choked. Either that or it was because Super was there. That makes a big difference.

Record books stand as:
Best Single Game
1. Tal - 152 (DLC4)
2. OK - 147 (DLC3)
3. Grefter - 146 (DLC4)
4t. OK - 139 (DLC7)
4t. Gate - 139 (DLC8)
5t. Tal - 137 (DLC9)
5t. Tal - 137 (DLC10)

Best Overall Score
1. Gate - 260 (DLC9)
2. Tal - 259 (DLC9)
3. Tal - 252 (DLC5)
4t. Idun - 250 (DLC7)
4t. Ciato - 250 (DLC9)
5t. Tal - 249 (DLC4)
5t. Gate - 249 (DLC8)
5t. Tal - 249 (DLC8)

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2015, 08:25:17 PM »
I think our lane was slightly tilted left (not the first time that has happened to me when put on a lane with a wall to the left).
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2015, 09:25:50 PM »
I will have you know that I bowled game 2 left handed, thank you very much.

Also I am still annoyed that I missed the turkey. :(
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 12:30:23 AM »
I have 2 PS3 controllers I'm very good at this, check to see if anyone's missing one
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2015, 03:35:39 AM »
You know, looking around, I think you have one of mine.

Any chance you also acquired a spare USB charging cord?

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2015, 04:09:58 AM »
He did, I have them now.  We will have to organise a drop off point.  What are you doing tomorrow?
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2015, 09:55:47 AM »
Averages up top: Mgrgrgr I really wish I'd been able to get out Wednesday but alas, I didn't want to risk missing any classes.  DLCX has proved to be by a wide margin the chillest DLCon which is pretty cool in its own right.

Thursday: Predominantly my travel day of course.  Despite my plane leaving at ~12 EDT, due to some oddities I actually leave home at 5 am to ensure my ride can get back before 9.  Also to give us time to agree on a pickup zone.  ANYWAY so basically I have like 4 hours to kill and actually take the most expensive meal of the con here.  Spoilers it was outdone by one of the cheaper ones.  As usual flight was fine, although I did have a moment of terror on the BART when I realized the car I was in didn't have audible announcements so I couldn't count on them to figure out where my transfer was.  Nothing came of it of course but it was rather nervous.  Oddly though despite clear memories of all that the rest of Thursday is a sizable haze of 'durrrrrr' for me, probably related to just the sheer length of the day.  I think this was the only time I really indulged in many of the niugames segment of DLCon.  For the most part I don't think Guilty Gear and me quite click.  That or I tried playing it like P4A but couldn't function without dash on the shoulder buttons.

Friday: Most of this day was spent with VSM and Jim on my part.  We broke off after a run to the book store to hit the comic shop.  VSM got in a long discussion with the clerk (proprietor?  probably, he seems the type) moooostly about the MCU while Jim bought.. one hell of a lot of comics and I bought 4 back issues of Squirrel Girl among other things.  Unbeatable was strategically left sitting around and I recall seeing about three or four different people idly start reading it, so success.  There were also sizable quantities of Smash at this point.  My complete inability to play anyone that's not a Fire Emblem character shames me; I can't even play Toon Link in Smash 4 really.  Sad.
I one of the small handful of quotes I remember about this con happened therein I believe.  To the effect of "So Magey's job is basically to be really awesome at Nintendo games so he can make them look good for an audience.  Which said like that sounds like basically the best job."
DK0 also appeared at this time.  I remain surprised someone with such relatively small DL experience came.  It's a good thing though.  I don't think I actually talked at him beyond a single food run, and that was more memorable to me because the deli we went to just smacked of pretension to me.  Or maybe I'm a weirdo.  One of those.

Saturday: As the numbers show, this was an off year for DL bowling all around.  The actual highlight of saturday I think was the realization that basically half the DL has either started new jobs or plans to quit their current ones by the end of the month.  Kinda great.  Although only one person had epic stories of how fucked up their bosses are followed by casual mention of turning all of them in to the IRS.
Doink.

Sunday: Almost all travel day.  Losing 3 hours and all.  I feel bad though because actually my flight ended up being delayed about half an hour ANYWAY.  Sorry Ash!

I do wish the BART hadn't been down all weekend: I'd kinda wanted to hit the city but people were still in "let's chill everyone just got here" mode on Friday and that was the only day that was really available due to that.    Ah well.  Hopefully I can sort out things and actually go next year instead of continuing this stupid alternate years streak.  Bad CK is bad.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Magetastica

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2015, 04:36:13 PM »
Got to go to my first DLCon, which was really fun! Despite the long long drive down (seriously NEB, I'm amazed you were able to continue driving through all of that) I had a really great time actually getting to meet people!

For most DLers I probably talked to them more at DLCon than I ever have on chat, but so it goes. Was nice being able to finally put some faces to the names of the people that I had interacted with a fair amount before the con occurred, as well.

Board games were fun, bowling was fun (except for hurting my fingers), and it was.... interesting to try out Guilty Gear and that Hatsune Miku game. Yeah. Interesting.

I'm definitely looking forward to future DLCons

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2015, 07:28:09 PM »
Man, 3 years I've missed DL Con, and it hurts more this year since it was the 10th one.

Definitely coming next year.  Assuming I don't get cancer or something.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2015, 07:56:13 PM »
He did, I have them now.  We will have to organise a drop off point.  What are you doing tomorrow?

See your e-mail! It is cool if you come up.

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2015, 11:19:52 PM »
2015 is the year I take my gaming hobby out of the lair and offline, DLCon being a part of that.

Yes, I had another experience of meeting up with gaming enthusiasts in person earlier in the year (who I had never met up until that point).  Story for another time.

I'm glad I came.  I have a more complete picture of whole people beyond what shows online.  Being able to chill with people closer to my age range is another positive; most of the time I'm around people much older than me (say 15-20 years minimum).  I do feel the group accepted me even if I'm not showing much on the outside.  After all, most of what I bothered to show of myself online is my bent sense of humor in DL writeups so I expect to be perceived as enigmatic and didn't set high expectations.

"Love Colored Master Spark" made it into the music quiz.  I'm happy, ze.

There's more random thoughts and recollections; I'll leave on this high note for the moment.

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2015, 07:38:25 PM »
behold the only important pictures ever taken

« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 10:17:28 PM by Nitori »
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2015, 01:57:22 AM »
I actually miss this.

I need to find a way to go to one of these again...
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2015, 10:31:35 AM »
Incidentally, the group photos (and a sparse few random ones I took... wish I took more, but I always forget about having a camera) are in my possession. I haven't uploaded them anywhere yet, because I'm not sure where would be best. Thoughts?