Author Topic: Shift tournament 2: Noms!  (Read 2365 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Re: Shift tournament 2: Noms!
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2015, 05:59:13 AM »
Godlike

Piercer of Boundaries Airy the Fairy of course (Bravely Default)
Ryu (Breath of Fire IV)
Katrina Liane Elesius (Wild ARMs XF)
Avalon (Legaia II: Duel Saga)

High Heavy

Lede (Final Fantasy Tactics)
Jessica Albert (Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King)
Lloyd (Legend of Dragoon)
Riou (Suikoden II)

Low Heavy

Tiki (Fire Emblem: Awakening)
Sabin Rene Figaro (Final Fantasy VI)
Lilka Eleniak (Wild ARMs 2)
Billy Lee Black (Xenogears)

Middle

Teddie (Persona 4)
Jessica Philomele (Mana Khemia: Alchemists of Al-Revis)
Lucca Ashtear (Chrono Trigger)
Red XIII (Final Fantasy VII)

Warmongering for Aiel and Profit

Alanis (Suikoden III)
Shady Thousand (Wild ARMs 3)
Juno (Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade)
Allen Ridgeley (Xenosaga: Also Sprach Zarathustra)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 06:07:50 AM by Cmdr_King »
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2015, 11:19:08 AM »
Need more noms. *Cracks whip* Going to try and run noms this week.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2015, 12:34:45 AM »
Godlike: Timelord, Tir, Shadow Kanji, Cid Raines
High Heavy: Ness, T260G, Purim, Fogel
Low Heavy: Sasarai, Nina1, Rydia, Liete
Middle: Albel, Natalia, Flea, Rasputin
Shame: Mint, Celine, Aeris, Lucky Dan (Mojo)

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2015, 12:58:43 AM »
Neph: Phantasia isn't ranked, so no Mint.  (Unless that's superboss Mint, which is probably not Light.)

Nephrite

• Denizen
  • President of the Great United States of America
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2015, 01:34:38 AM »
I think the rules should be bent in favor of full shamefulness.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2015, 02:23:09 AM »
Godlike: Elc, Yuri Hyuuga (SHs), Shania (SH3), Cidolfas Whorlandu (FFT)

1. Gets Crushed.
2. Transformers!
3. Transformers!
4. Crushes

High Heavy: Lilka (WA2), Tidus (FFX), Arc (AtL2), Alicia (VP2)

1. Infinite Healing
2. Debuffing/buffing
3. Debuffing/buffing.
4. Infinite Healing

Low Heavy: Pamela (MK), Nina1, Peter (ShF2), Umi (CSTW)
1. Blue Hair
2. Bird
3. Bird
4. Blue Hair

Middle: Anastasia (SH2), Sara (ShF2), Spar (BoF2), Lufia (Lufia 1)
1. Weaksauce Status
2. Weaksauce healing
3. Weaksauce Healing
4. Weaksauce Status

Shame: Arthur (ShF1), Adam (ShF1), Raja (PS4), Gobi (BoF1)

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2015, 12:23:22 AM »
On the topic of Side Kick on Star Ocean 3 since I've been learning the speedrun for it -

1) I'll hard confirm that one of the main reasons for using Side Kick is because of how long you can extend the combo. Fate being able to get in extra 300% damage attacks matters quite a bit. It's also good due to CP cost/invinco frames, both of which the DL wouldn't normally place a lot of worth on. As to chaining it more reliably...

2) The trick to chaining it on smaller human size enemies seems to be dependent mostly on Fate's initial positioning as well as the timing of the cancel. I shouldn't need to say this, but just in case: every battle skill in the game has different cancel windows. There is a quick cancel and a delayed cancel. In the case of Side Kick, you need to focus on Fate's position during his attack. If he is in a cardinal position to the enemy, you can quick cancel and it seems to cancel just fine. However, if he is approaching from a more diagonal angle, you actually want to delay the Side Kick (timed usually as Fate is just about to land from his kick) to increase the chances of the next Side Kick properly realigning itself.

3) I should also note that Side Kick actually does have some start up associated (which is where the I frames are), so if an enemy is very fast/evasive, it is actually very difficult to get it to combo into itself. Crystal Cerberus is the prime offender of this. As a further note: please remember that all battle skills when activated target the spot where the enemy is standing. They do not actually home in on the enemy so its possible for enemies to feint out battle skills and cause them to miss. More wide area battle skills such as Dimension Door do not have to deal with this problem compared to ones that are more narrow such as Side Kick.

4) I don't know if the DL is aware of the Major/Minor swap glitch. It exists and should help projectile characters such as Nel a bit more. The basis of the glitch is that if you input in the command to cancel a minor tech into a major tech, the minor tech will actually take on the properties of a major attack as soon as the game reads the command to cancel. This is usually before the minor move even comes out in some cases and effectively gives some characters unblockable attacks that makes gut/fury shielding less relevant. It is more obvious on projectile moves since it seems the game reads the command to cancel for these moves earlier. A good example of this is Cliff's Sphere of Might and Max Shockwave. If you cancel these early by putting in the major cancel, the minor will actually be able to take out guards and its multiplier will actually increase to a major move. While most of the time, the DL doesn't take glitches into effect, this is one that is prevalent in the game. You might have even done it without noticing similar to FF6 vanilla's evade bug.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2015, 01:50:05 AM »
On the topic of Side Kick on Star Ocean 3 since I've been learning the speedrun for it -

1) I'll hard confirm that one of the main reasons for using Side Kick is because of how long you can extend the combo. Fate being able to get in extra 300% damage attacks matters quite a bit. It's also good due to CP cost/invinco frames, both of which the DL wouldn't normally place a lot of worth on. As to chaining it more reliably...

Both of these do end of mattering a lot though, since I added on No Guard and Increase HP/MP damage if the CP cost was low enough to allow them and the invincible frames mean that Fayt has a much better chance of keeping his combo going longer against an enemy that wasn't tied up.

Point number 4 is interesting. Since I was going on just how practically well a combo worked, it shouldn't change any of the hit rates (since if there was added practical fury breaking bonus that stumbled on randomly, it would have been included), but might change some of the multipliers.
...into the nightfall.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2015, 03:28:59 AM »
No I agree those things should matter. Its part of what makes Side Kick so good. Like it has other uses other than straight up damage, but again, it gets lost somewhere in translation unfortunately.

Here's the link for what I'm referring to. There's a slight error on my part. The major minor swap occurs only if there is an animation crossover. This is why projectiles tend to be more glitchable in this fashion versus melee type attacks:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/536705-star-ocean-till-the-end-of-time/faqs/56185#section77
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself