Author Topic: One Night Ultimate Werewolf (Mafia-like) interest?  (Read 1763 times)

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
One Night Ultimate Werewolf (Mafia-like) interest?
« on: April 20, 2015, 10:58:26 PM »
So, we've had a few relaunch attempts at Mafia/Werewolf, so I figured I'd throw my hat in the ring and see if we couldn't use this variant to a little more success.

One Night Ultimate Werewolf is a fairly popular variant to Mafia/Werewolf that condenses the game down to a single night and single day, making for a much shorter game (the real life version is supposed to play in 3-15 minutes) and removing player elimination. At the end of the day period, everyone simultaneously casts a vote for who they want to eliminate and the player with the most votes is offed. If multiple players are tied for most votes, then they all die.

The villagers win if they kill at least one wolf (or, if there are no wolves, if no villagers die).
The wolves win if no wolves are killed.

So how does this end up working? Well, for starters, the game does lean a bit more towards role deduction puzzle and confirming what happened during the night through cross comparison. It does require a little bit of a different thought process than normal Mafia/Werewolf though as you need to be a little more secretive and a little more reserved about your information. See, there are a couple roles that allow you to switch people's cards. Which is excellent for creating confirmation situations!

Less excellent if it turns out you became a wolf overnight and just confirmed your own guilt. Whoops.

So yeah. I dunno. Would people be interested? The biggest plus here is that the required investment here is obviously going to be much lower. Night phase will take a bit longer than average because there is probably going on, but the game only has a single day phase (that I'd place at 48-72 hours, prolly). If people were interested, I'd also by happy to run in Skype/IRC (it'd be superior). Game can accommodate 3-10 players.

Caveat: I've heard great things about One Night Ultimate Werewolf. A lot of people have claimed it has completely replaced Werewolf/Mafia for them. I have not been able to play it because my RL group is not much for Mafia style games. So this would be my first experience with the game.

Anyhow, Anyone interested?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 11:14:51 PM by AndrewRogue »

Yakumo

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: One Night Ultimate Werewolf (Mafia-like) interest?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 03:45:36 AM »
I have to say that, while I enjoy playing this in person quite a bit, there's a reason there's a five minute time limit on the day phase when you're playing it IRL.  In my opinion, the game would be either way too easy(if people say what they did/know) or way too quiet played on a forum.  You could probably set something up with a moderator and IRC if you wanted to give it a try, though.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
Re: One Night Ultimate Werewolf (Mafia-like) interest?
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 07:47:03 PM »
I'd also be fine running in IRC (would prefer it honestly), I've just found historically that its tough to get people together at the same time.