Register

Author Topic: RPGDL 2015 Season 1 Finals  (Read 1981 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
RPGDL 2015 Season 1 Finals
« on: March 30, 2015, 02:19:08 AM »
Godlike

Profound Darkness (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium) vs Cloud of Darkness (Final Fantasy III)

Heavy

Red (SaGa Frontier) vs Athos (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword)

Middle

Poco (Arc the Lad II) vs Yulie Ahtreide (Wild ARMs 4)

Light

Anna (Fire Emblem: Awakening) vs Miranda (Grandia III)

Rankings- Please indicate if you would Rank or Reject this game from the DL.

Breath of Death VII: The Beginning (11/20)

Data Mine- For each of the following games, please indicate if you have played the game.  Additionally, if you object to ranking the game on mechanical or similar grounds, please indicate this as part of your vote.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth
Citizens of Earth
Dragon Quest III
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 03:05:00 AM by Cmdr_King »
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Futurama 2015 Mk. 1 Finals
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 02:58:34 AM »
Godlike

Profound Darkness (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium) vs Cloud of Darkness (Final Fantasy III): Durability difference is far too much. CoD has more speed and damage but it's nowhere near enough.

Heavy

Red (SaGa Frontier) vs Athos (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword): Nosferatu should clean up here pretty well. Red doesn't have notable magical defence at all (his mdur is all due to HP), so Nosferatu should be at least as good as its usual value (~75%), which is substantially greater than Re-Al-Phoenix's damage. Doubles and counters cancel out, Red isn't CTB-doubling before being killed.

Light

Anna (Fire Emblem: Awakening) vs Miranda (Grandia III): The exact same strategy which Miranda used to fell Miriel also works on Anna. Anna's only advantage as a dueller is evade, which I don't see working here.

Breath of Death VII: The Beginning (11/20) - Haven't played, abstain on ranking it. I will probably play it if it's ranked, for what that's worth.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth: Not played.
Citizens of Earth: Not played.
Dragon Quest III: Not played.
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume: I have played this. I... am lukewarm on it as a ranking idea. Wyl has been a complete disaster, and the level of caring for most of the other PCs seems pretty low. That said if people want them I probably won't stand in their way. And hey, Ailith is a fairly cool DL entity.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
Re: RPGDL 2015 Season 1 Finals
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 03:13:39 AM »
Profound Darkness (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium) vs Cloud of Darkness (Final Fantasy III) - About 3x the durability is a pretty tall mountain for CoD to climb.

Red (SaGa Frontier) vs Athos (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) - Nosferatu works its magic again.

Poco (Arc the Lad II) vs Yulie Ahtreide (Wild ARMs 4) - Yulie does have to take a hit to her stats so she can block Confuse, but that's enough. Mind Buster isn't great against her mdef, especially post-Protect, and she has functionally infinite reserves due to Angel Hoop's MP regen.

Anna (Fire Emblem: Awakening) vs Miranda (Grandia III) - Miranda champing Light, wtf.

Breath of Death VII: The Beginning (11/20) - Played it. Suppose it's an inoffensive rank (it's more or less the same ballpark as CStW, only with a smaller cast). Sure, rank.

Data Mine!

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth: Not played.
Citizens of Earth: Not played.
Dragon Quest III: Not played.
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume: Well, I -have played this, but I'm in the same place as Elfboy for reception. If people want this ranked, I'm not standing in their way, but I care very little about it.

Downgrade Pools

Ooooh, matches!

Xorn, Athos, Red, Brahms.

Xorn >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Athos > Red > Brahms. Very straight-forward. Xorn splatters corpses around the dancefloor. Athos vs. Brahms also goes pretty typically: equip Elfire, counter => follow-up with Forblaze for a KO. Brahms only doubles if Athos equips Nosferatu/Luna and the 20% fire weakness does him in in that slugfest. Athos already beats Red this week and Red outslugs Brahms pretty hands off. VP1 Brahms also loses to Athos due to being 2HKOed and not OHKOed back in that ST manner, but beats Red at least.

Xorn: 3-0
Athos: 2-1
Red: 1-2
Brahms: 0-3

Athos up, Brahms down.

Princess Peach Toadstool, Mario, Beowulf Kadmus, Tana, Yulie Ahtreide, Poco

WELL. Let's start with Peach. She runs Mario out of resources, since he can't heal-lock her with a physical and might even not 2HKO at all (to make things more insulting, he has to give up his durability in order to block her two match-ending status options). Beowulf... entirely depends on whether Magic Sword is silenceable or not. If so, Peach's got the fight in the bag. Otherwise, she sorta dies. Against Tana, she needs to land Sleepy Time turn two and not only FE8 evade runs against some status, Peach's -own- checks against SMRPG's elusive evade mechanics IIRC. So uh my kneejerk is Tana. Yulie outlasts her even blocking two statuses because you don't beat Yulie by never OHKOing her and Poco can't block both Sleep and Silence simultaneously. Not that it -terribly- matters, I think, since Peach barely nails a 2HKO with her physical on him and he doesn't stave off physical heal-locks ever. So, that's a win for Peach. For Mario, he eats it to status by the hand of Beowulf, gets outslugged by Tana and outlasted by Yulie. Poco suffers the same fate he did against Peach. Beowulf kinda gets 2HKOed by Tana and struggles against her evade. Against Yulie... I think I -do- see his skills ramming into post-Protect Yulie mdef as well, which condemns him to eternal failure (doesn't help that his status is -so- bad against high mdef) and Poco Mind Busters his ass while going first. Tana smashes everything left and Poco already loses to Yulie.

Tana: 5-0
Yulie Ahtreide: 4-1
Princess Peach Toadstool: 2-2 (pending on Beowulf)
Beowulf Kadmus: 1-3 (pending on Peach)
Mario: 1-4
Poco: 1-4

Tentatively, Mario goes down and Yulie goes up.

Light later.

Mallow, October, Chisato Madison, Guy, Anna, Miranda

Okay. Let's start with Chisato: I think she sweeps here. Nulling ID takes care of October. Mallow gets heal-locked and I'm certainly seeing Chisato as fast enough to double before her MP runs out at worst. Guy... well, Chisato 3HKOs (barely), isn't 2HKOed and 4-3s at worst, so she should be able to chip past the healing into a fatal double. Anna gives her slight trouble, but Chisato 2HKOs while being up to 10HKOed back and even goes first. Miranda's even simpler. This said, October works out the rest of the losers, gogogogo ID. Guy should beat Mallow, whose damage is too low to avoid being heal-stalled at worst. Against Anna... uh, I need to check whether she doubles, which kinda turns the fight around if it happens. Mallow handles Miranda, surely, probably handles Anna as well (he can just heal until Lucky Seven runs out at worst, and then Anna is complete bait defensively). And Miranda wins against Anna and nobody else.

Chisato Madison: 5-0
October: 4-1
Guy: 2-2 (pending)
Mallow: 2-3
Miranda: 1-4
Anna: 0-4 (pending)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 09:17:29 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 03:26:43 AM »
Heavy

Red (SaGa Frontier) vs Athos (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) - sure

Middle

Poco (Arc the Lad II) vs Yulie Ahtreide (Wild ARMs 4) - sure mk2

Light

Anna (Fire Emblem: Awakening) vs Miranda (Grandia III) - I think so at any rate?  Post-WOW! Dagger Dash likely risks a OHKO against Anna's bad pdur to me and I don't think Anna can actually put it away before it lands.

Breath of Death VII: The Beginning (11/20) - Played, rank.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth - Not played.
Citizens of Earth - Not played.
Dragon Quest III - Not played.
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume - Played

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 03:29:49 AM »
Godlike

Profound Darkness (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium) vs Cloud of Darkness (Final Fantasy III)

Heavy

Middle

Light

Breath of Death VII: The Beginning (11/20) - Sure

Haven't played any of the data mine games, despite Super's.... unfortunate fixation.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 02:28:33 PM »
Godlike

Profound Darkness (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium) vs Cloud of Darkness (Final Fantasy III) - Sexier naked eldritch abomination

Heavy

Red (SaGa Frontier) vs Athos (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) - Ugh...uh...yeah, Red.  So...crazy.

Middle

Light

Breath of Death VII: The Beginning (11/20) - RANK

Data Mine- For each of the following games, please indicate if you have played the game.  Additionally, if you object to ranking the game on mechanical or similar grounds, please indicate this as part of your vote.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth - Played, rank.  Light the fire up in the night indeed.
Citizens of Earth - Nope.  No play, no objection to ranking though
Dragon Quest III - Played,  don't care about ranking - not huge on generics, but they're already in, so...
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume - Played, rank.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 04:54:50 PM »
Heavy

Middle

Poco (Arc the Lad II) vs Yulie Ahtreide (Wild ARMs 4)- Strong kneejerk of confuse tipping the fight.

Light

Anna (Fire Emblem: Awakening) vs Miranda (Grandia III

Breath of Death VII: The Beginning (11/20)- Reject. Borderline rank without anything really going for it.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth- Haven't played.
Citizens of Earth- Haven't played.
Dragon Quest III- Played
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume- Played, reject with fire. Unmemorable game with splitpath issues and nothing really going for it.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 05:05:04 PM »
Godlike

Heavy

Middle

Light

Breath of Death VII: The Beginning (11/20) - Reject.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth - Played but not beaten.
Citizens of Earth - Not played.
Dragon Quest III - Played.
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume - Played.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 03:48:30 AM »
For those that are interested: The downgrade old style DL pools from this season.

Nailah, Hortensia, Xorn, Brahms, Athos, Red
Peach, Mario, Beowulf, Tana, Yulie, Poco
Mallow, October, Chisato, Guy, Anna, Miranda

Xorn>rest>Brahms=Athos

Feels pretty obvious. Xorn smash, Hortensia does well enough, as does Naliah. Brahms likely dead, loser of Athos/Red stays down. This

Peach, Mario, Beowulf, Tana, Yulie, Poco

Ugh later. Mario likely is swept (Might beat Poco??) though. 

E: Mario goes down. I think he doesn't beat anyone here- Poco can haste/heal. I don't have a ton of respect for AtL haste but it's enough against Mario. Tana should sweep the field besides for Peach. It's possible Tana could dodge sleep and one round Peach but it doesn't feel too likely to me offhand.  Beo beats Poco. Even going second (fail), he just needs to connect with one status to end the fight. Mind Buster has to go through the Aegis Shield and Beo's higher than average MP means that Beo should get two cracks to status Poco. It ought to be enough. \Aegis+blocking status should be enough against Peach as well, though that's a much closer fight. Lack of Black Market gear dooms Yulie against Beo as well.  Peach/Poco I'm abstaining on for the moment, depends entirely if Peach can critical hit outside of timed hits or if she OHKOs. The latter in particular seems very possible, considering the defense hit Poco has to take to block her status.

Mario's not much of a Heavy. The person who champs middle gets the upgrade, the Poco/Peach tie is irrelevant. Nasty field, I had to think about a bunch of matches. Beo in particular could have  fights flip (Everything besides Mario/Tana)..

Tana: 4-1 (Loss: Peach)
Beowulf: 4-1 (Loss: Tana)
Peach: 3-2 (Loss: Beowulf)
Poco: 3-2 (Loss: Beowulf, Tana)
Yulie: 1-4 (Loss: Tana, Beowulf, Peach, Poco)
Mario: 0-5 (Loss: Everyone)

E:
Pretty straightforward. October IDs everyone besides Chisato. Guy outslugs the rest, he generally is competent against healers and light caliber sluggers. Chisato surprised me by going 3-2. She has legal access to earth blocking (Neo Greaves) and ID protection to me, which makes two of her fights no brainers. Her accuracy should be enough against Anna, who does not take hits well at all.  Mallow gets IDed by October and outslugged by Guy but beats the rest of the field. Anna/Miranda are a step below most of this field and unsurprisingly don't do very well here.

October: 4-1 (Loss: Chisato)
Guy: 4-1 (Loss: October)
Chisato: 3-2 (Loss: Guy, Mallow)
Mallow: 3-2 (Loss: October, Guy)
Miranda: 1-4 (Mallow, Chisato, October, Guy)
Anna: 0-5 (All)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 05:28:54 PM by superaielman »
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 05:49:12 AM »
From OK's damage average, Wow'd Dagger Dash deals .624 PCHP damage to Anna's .63 PDur according to Elf's topic...  and huh, the 3-turn damage average goes down despite Alonso getting a huge damage boost from Lancer Crash, weird.  Anyway I'm not sure I'd hype a OHKO here, but I would hype it ignoring evade and possibly counters as well, so sure, I'll go with the crowd.

Breath of Death VII: The Beginning (11/20) - Abstain.
I myself am unlikely to ever play, if I get a Zeboyd itch I'll wait for CSH or play PA3/PA4, but seems harmless.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth, Citizens of Earth, Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume - Haven't played.
Dragon Quest III - Played.

• Suggests the birth of an abomination
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 08:05:26 AM »
Godlike

Profound Darkness (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium) vs Cloud of Darkness (Final Fantasy III) - IIRC, PD's got roughly Myria-level durability going for it if you give all three forms.  Not sure how well Cloud of Darkness can outslug that.

Heavy

Red (SaGa Frontier) vs Athos (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword) - Can't vote with confidence but I'd have to check if there were two Nos tomes.

Light

Anna (Fire Emblem: Awakening) vs Miranda (Grandia III) - Anna's got less damage than Miriel, and her evade game's the wrong thing against Miranda.

Breath of Death VII: The Beginning (11/20) - I'm abstaining.  It's technically rankable but the game generally inspires apathy.  CSTW might be a better option for rankable Zeboyd games.
<+Nama-EmblemOfFire> ...Have the GhebFE guy and the ostian princess guy collaborate.
 <@Elecman> Seems reasonable.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 04:12:09 PM »
There are 3 Nosferatu tomes in FE7, regardless of mode. One is missable (optional reinforcement), but the other two are thrown in your face (dropped by enemies you will almost certainly defeat). This includes one obtained on the map before Athos joins, so there's no chance of burning them all before then.

From OK's damage average, Wow'd Dagger Dash deals .624 PCHP damage to Anna's .63 PDur according to Elf's topic...  and huh, the 3-turn damage average goes down despite Alonso getting a huge damage boost from Lancer Crash, weird.

I think that's a math error; OK (or whoever made that average) seems to have divided by 4 instead of 3. This occurs throughout the topic, I just noticed. Modify the three-turn figures appropriately.

Maybe.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 08:56:37 PM »
Godlike

Profound Darkness (Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium) vs Cloud of Darkness (Final Fantasy III)- PD

Heavy

Red (SaGa Frontier) vs Athos (Fire Emblem: The Blazing Sword)- Athos. He might lose by more conventional views though.

Middle

Poco (Arc the Lad II) vs Yulie Ahtreide (Wild ARMs 4)- Mdef doesn't stave off Mind Buster very well in a long fight due to the ITD base. But...Angel Hoop. How much MP does it restore? My gut reaction is that Yulie has an uphill battle thanks to counters though, so gut checking in that direction, so Poco for now.

Light

Anna (Fire Emblem: Awakening) vs Miranda (Grandia III)- Ironically, I might be the one of the few that think that Anna may take this. But not sure, so no vote.

Breath of Death VII: The Beginning (11/20)- Abstain. How does that get counted here? 11/20 feels weak for this.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth- Haven't played
Citizens of Earth -Haven't palyed
Dragon Quest III- Haven't played
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume- Played
...into the nightfall.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 09:08:07 PM »
Angel Hoop restores 2% of Yulie's max MP, so 5 (if she drops by one class level she can get her MP high enough so that it's 6 instead, but there's a slight hit to other stats for doing so). Absorb is generally a better bet for restoring MP if Yulie can avoid being emptied entirely (since it costs 3). Doubly so if melee counters are an issue in this case.

Maybe.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2015, 07:36:28 AM »

Xorn sweeps. Nailah can't double him, Death Knell deals with draining, and he outslugs the rest.
Nailah beats Hortensia (her evade sees her to a second turn even if she fails to one-round), Brahms, and Red. Athos is a tough match for her, I believe he barely 2HKOs and isn't 2HKOed himself. Think that one comes down to authority, although a Savage could also tilt things her way, which works as a tiebreak. Close though.
Athos' uber res spoils Hortensia, he wins this week vs. Red, and him vs. Brahms... uh, Brahms can spoil dark some, which helps, but he has an ugly weakness to fire, and yeah Athos should at worst 3HKO before being 2HKOed.
Hortensia burns Brahms and against Red... yeah her defence and AD should let her avoid the OHKO. But Red can optimise his fire/ice/lightning defences and come verry close to surviving. Probably just falls short, but yikes, close. Probably good that he does, because Hortensia downgrading seems weird.
Red outspeeds Brahms, but just misses the 2HKO thanks to his draining. ... but Brahms also misses the 2HKO, even if he always lands his attacks, and Red can use a sword to make that less likely.

Xorn > Nailah > Athos > Hortensia > Red > Brahms, so Athos up and Brahms down.

Peach, Mario, Beowulf, Tana, Yulie

I think Super is more or less correct here. Subtracting the Poco votes...

Peach: 3-1 (Loss: Beowulf)
Tana: 3-1 (Loss: Peach)
Yulie: 2-2 (Loss: Tana, Peach)
Beowulf: 2-2 (Loss: Tana, Yulie)
Mario: 0-4 (Loss: Everyone)

Interestingly Tana is closest to losing to Mario, I think, since she only three-rounds him and he hits weakness with Jump, so if he OHKOs he wins? But... he may not OHKO, and actually Javelin counters may let Tana barely 2HKO instead (well 3HKO, but y'know), and her evade is turn 1, so yeah.

Magic Sword isn't silenceable so Beowulf should beat Peach. Him vs. Yulie... her MDef can make a mess of things for him, but yeesh, his physical hurts Yulie fairly badly and Shock is a serious risk later in the fight too. EDIT: But she does win, see below.

Again, mostly copying Super here.

October: 4-1 (Loss: Chisato)
Guy: 4-1 (Loss: October)
Chisato: 3-2 (Loss: Guy, Mallow)
Mallow: 3-2 (Loss: October, Guy)
Miranda: 1-4
Anna: 0-5

Main one worth weighing in on is Chisato vs. Anna, which is quite close. I'm assuming Chisato's hit lets her hit 2/3 (but not 2/2). And she can probably avoid counters with Tear Gas or some other tech, while still 2HKOing, since Anna is frail. Anna might still win but Chisato also resists lightning. If I'm overestimating Tear Gas it's possible Anna wins, since she could go first and outslug with counters then. But eh.

Mallow vs. Guy is somewhat interesting too but I have to think Guy can pull off operation infinite stall here; Mallow damage just isn't very good.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 05:38:19 PM by Dark Holy Elf »

Maybe.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2015, 08:04:32 AM »
Angel Hoop restores 2% of Yulie's max MP, so 5 (if she drops by one class level she can get her MP high enough so that it's 6 instead, but there's a slight hit to other stats for doing so). Absorb is generally a better bet for restoring MP if Yulie can avoid being emptied entirely (since it costs 3). Doubly so if melee counters are an issue in this case.

Interesting. The match might come down to Absorb's efficacy.
...into the nightfall.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2015, 01:35:18 PM »
Mallow's eating a OHKO from Deadly Smash to boot. He has no real way of avoiding either the IP healing and the damage IP, which is pretty typical for Guy vs healer at this level.

E: Poco>Peach. I forgot that counters and dodging were a thing. Peach needs that OHKO and I don't think she gets it.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 05:26:55 PM by superaielman »
-------------------

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2015, 05:37:15 PM »
Yeah, that possibility makes things even uglier for Mallow.

Actually, having now taken a closer look at the match, Yulie does beat Beowulf. I had overrated Beowulf's physical / underrated protected Yulie's durability. After Protect (which she will open with), Beowulf can't even 2HKO her, so Yulie applies protect and haste and gets in a loop of Sacrifice->Hi-Heal on her constant doubleturns. Beowulf can't win until Shock can OHKO, and Yulie needs 388 FFT damage to do that to, which Beowulf doesn't get until he's literally on death's door. Obviously Yulie can bypass the last little bit of Beowulf's HP by using Hi-Heal->Sacrifice instead on her last turn (Sacrifice ignoring MEvade is huge here, so this is actually safe). This leaves status as Beowulf's only option, and that Protected Yulie cuts magic damage to 15% (= same effect on Beowulf's status rates), those are way too inaccurate to use here, I think, as Beowulf going for status lets Yulie use full-HP Sacrifices which 3HKO him (hell, she may two-round after setting up the buffs, which would give Beowulf only 3 status tries).

Maybe.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2015, 08:26:03 PM »
Doesn't Beowulf have Dispel of some variant? If he does, its certainly more interesting. I kneejerk Yulie still likely wins but regardless Beo winning relies on him getting a OHKO Shock kill it looks like.

EDIT: Nevermind, its Faith based. So RIP.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2015, 12:42:33 AM »
Mallow's eating a OHKO from Deadly Smash to boot. He has no real way of avoiding either the IP healing and the damage IP, which is pretty typical for Guy vs healer at this level.

E: Poco>Peach. I forgot that counters and dodging were a thing. Peach needs that OHKO and I don't think she gets it.

Especially dodging since I believe that Agility and Dodge are tied together in ATL 2, and then Speed Up has more of a purpose too.
...into the nightfall.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2015, 04:41:37 PM »
That being true, it'd be at least worth testing. I remember AtL2 evade being noticeable, but in that Xenogears way, with blocking murking things further. But in both cases here, it'd have to be potent...
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2015, 12:55:03 AM »
Godlike

Heavy

Middle

Light

Breath of Death VII: The Beginning (11/20) - Rank

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth - Have played
Citizens of Earth - Have played
Dragon Quest III - Have not played
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume - Have played

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2015, 11:09:45 PM »
Godlike

Heavy

Middle

Poco (Arc the Lad II) vs Yulie Ahtreide (Wild ARMs 4)- No vote.

Light

Breath of Death VII: The Beginning (11/20)- Rank.  I was a bit hesitant but one or two people suggested they'd probably play it since cheap and short if it did get in so that makes me feel better.

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth- Haven't played.
Citizens of Earth- Haven't played.
Dragon Quest III- Played.
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume- Played.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2015, 01:50:55 AM »
Godlike

Heavy

Middle

Light

Breath of Death VII: The Beginning (11/20)- Rank.  Technically these characters are all in CStW so they are effectively ranked anyway...

Data Mine

Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth- Haven't played. It's on the list though.
Citizens of Earth- Haven't played. Haven't even heard of this, anyone wanna sell me on it?
Dragon Quest III- Played. Seems rankable enough. It's pretty iconic, too.
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume- Played. I actually want to see this ranked and genuinely love this game.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2015, 03:26:24 AM »
Technically these characters are all in CStW so they are effectively ranked anyway...

Only Dem and Sara are, and they're optional superbosses in CStW... so not really.

Maybe.