Register

Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194253 times)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #2375 on: August 03, 2015, 01:55:50 PM »
Speaking of the Pit of Volles.

Final Fantasy Every Little Thing She Does Is Autobattle - So, the Super Figaro Bros. boss rush is just rude. Ultros is an ass and counters weakness-hitting with either Thundaga or Ink, depending on which of them you hit, Vargas is an ass and spams 1000 damage Gale Cuts pre-mitigation while the Ipoohs block him, Tentacles are asses with there being four of them with weaknesses and absorptions strewn all over the place alongside status and four-digit damage Bios, and Ultima Weapon, despite being paral-lockable, is an ass and splatters your ass with MT high-2HKO Flare Stars. Magitek Armors aren't even threatening enough to be asses, but so it goes. I ended up using a Mythril for safety and it was frankly worth it, since I ended up championing all five fights. Blue Dragon was kinda perfunctory in comparison - bring Sentinel's Grimoire, bring Kirin, bring Thundaga and Thundara Sword, collect sweet mastery.

Part of the problem in the boss rush was that I had to bring Sabin as my makeshift debuffer, and, against that level of offense without SG (the tentacles badly ask for a MT offense RW unless you want to get mulched by them long-term, they're too spread apart for debuffing to work and they're frail enough to be blitzed if you have MT), the Breaks don't quite cut it, particularly against Ultima if you get an unlucky Intimidate streak. At least, it ended up working in the end, I'll recover the lost Mythril just by logging in today and I can never say no to Major Growth Eggs and L5 Orbs.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 03:19:16 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: August 03, 2015, 03:49:19 PM »
FF5 - Midway through Ex-Death's Tower. Poor Galuf. Now all my PCs are bland. :(

Between Atomos and here, Lenna mastered Monk so I put her in Ranger for a while for 4x Attack. Faris mastered Ninja, so now she's a dual-weilding Spellblade casting machine. Drain Sword + Dual Wield is ridiculously good. In hindsight, optimally I should have put Faris in Ranger and just had Lenna get more passive buffs, and had saved Knight for Lenna for passive Freelancer cover and slotted +HP+30% and Berserk for her passives endgame.  Mastered Ninja for Dual-Wield and Quadrahit + Spellblade secondaries would be really great for Faris. In fact, going that route is so tempting part of me wants to do away with the restrictions I set for myself just so I can do that. Besides, if I'm going to play FF5 again (more of a possibility than FF6, actually!) I'll be doing a Fiesta and that combo isn't possible since Ninja and Ranger are on the same crystal.

Actually, yeah, fuck the restrictions I'm doing that. Since I'm still avoiding grinding, in practice all it ends up being is that I put Lenna and Faris way behind in ABP.

Galuf and Bartz are doing fine and I don't think I really want anything more for them than what I have. Blue magic really picks up in W2 once you get Aeroga, Time when you get Hastega, White with Curaga, and Summoner has always been a great random mopper-upper. I threw Bartz in Thief for fighting Randoms, because he's not doing too much thanks to Titan and having his passive exploration skills will be nice when I throw him in Freelancer (Fairly soon, actually! Once his three classes are mastered). I may put Krile in BM until mastery so she gets the MP freelancer bonus but otherwise I can't really imagine needing more skills for her.

The section near the save point in Ex-Death's castle is a massive step up in difficulty. Blue/Red Dragon encounters can choose to one round me unless I switch to better HP classes, Blue Dragon is Backrow and flying (negates Titan) and Red Dragon is undead so Drainblade just kills me if I attack with Faris. It's the first encounter I've had to think about in a while. I can and have beat it, but honestly it is too late for me to be dealing with this shit so it is time to call it a night.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 03:52:40 PM by Makkotah »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: August 03, 2015, 04:57:47 PM »
Reading your logs on FF5, it almost slightly surprises me that you consider Blue Mage not so hot until world 2, but that's more a matter of picking up knowledge on the game's metadesign than anything else, and it's a slog to memorize it all (I had a FAQ handy for most of the game, given I hadn't played it in nearly two decades). The Fiesta really drove into my head just how amply Blue Mage can make mincemeat of nearly everything given the right skills and lore at hand (Vampire and Goblin Punch for the very early game, exploiting various status holes starting with Garula's vulnerability to Pond's Choir, going through White Wind being ridiculous, 1,000 Needles having a window of sheer dominance in ST offense if you get it in Ronka Ruins, Dark Spark and LX skill exploitation - which is one of the ways to manhandle Atomos with Blue Mage! -, and going all the way to lategame, also passing through Air Knife Aeroga's somewhat brief window of greatness and capping off at Mighty Guard, which, paired with MT healing, trivializes all damage to no end), but part of it was also being fairly thorough on getting just about every skill as soon as possible. The only Blue Magics I missed in that playthrough were Self-Destruct and Roulette, which weren't at all missed. Beastmaster is pretty key on obtaining those skills, though, and the class is kinda awkward, if rewarding with enough patience and knowledge. In fact, Beastmaster with a Hypno Crown is -really- helpful against those dragons in Exdeath Castle, since they're perfectly vulnerable to it and some of the skills they have wreck their own asses.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 05:04:45 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: August 03, 2015, 05:37:42 PM »
During the boss rush I'm just restarting the easy first battle over and over to refresh charges and not spend one fucking mithril on this.

I have R3 waterja and it is cool. Way way cool.

I'm looking forward to the Dragoon core character. He's exactly Kain except with a slightly darker armor tone, worse stats in every way, no realm synergy. The most pointless guy in the game

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: August 03, 2015, 05:48:37 PM »
Dragoon RM will eventually restore Dragoon skills after every fight, at least. That'll be useful once we get all the elemental jumps to turn our dragoons into delayed spellbladers.

Warrior now is just completely pointless, not even a memory crystal yet. Ditto for Knight.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: August 03, 2015, 05:50:21 PM »
My problem actually wasn't charges, but -HP-. Which is pretty telling of what the rush can do to you.

Dragoon RM will eventually restore Dragoon skills after every fight, at least. That'll be useful once we get all the elemental jumps to turn our dragoons into delayed spellbladers.

Warrior now is just completely pointless, not even a memory crystal yet. Ditto for Knight.

What does Gladiator get, if anything, since we're talking about the dregs of Autobattle City?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 06:20:54 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: August 03, 2015, 06:26:09 PM »
Ff6 event beat!

So the dragon was so much easier then boss rush.

Still probably won't do boss rush again.

Debating whether to hone death to rank 2 or save ice orbs for waterja to rank 3.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: August 03, 2015, 06:31:10 PM »
Save the orbs. Whenever Death is useful, just S/Ling works well enough for maximum efficiency. As for me, I'm debating farming Greater Fire Orbs at some point so I don't stay behind in the R3 Waterja train. I decided to R2 Firaja in the meantime, which is now biting me in the ass in the Civ war. ON THE OTHER HAND, I have R3 Quake.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 06:40:21 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: August 03, 2015, 06:49:38 PM »
Warrior and Knight do have unique sprites at least, unlike Dragoon.

Fuck Death really, save the orbs. When would you use it? I've been using Waterja nonstop and have run into four enemies who null it? It is really nice.

HP is also a problem for me for the boss rush but 20 stam = 1 curaga with the white mage record materia if I always flee ASAP. So whatevs.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: August 03, 2015, 07:47:23 PM »
My problem was really that, after Ultros, -everybody- was at KO range from a single Bio and there are four tentacles. That just wouldn't work out. If you end up in better shape, you'll likely not need the Mythril.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2385 on: August 03, 2015, 07:53:24 PM »
Oh. Well then you could always come back to Ultros or the armors, S/L until your healer starts with a full bar, use curaga, then flee immediately, x4

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: August 03, 2015, 07:58:48 PM »
Yeah, I could've avoided spending the Mythril, but it's not like I'm -hurting- for them. Just more practical, I'd have to flee like 8 times just to restore all Curaga charges. Seriously, Ultros is a dick.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: August 03, 2015, 09:59:24 PM »
Someone on reddit came up with the rather clever strategy of using Runic RW vs Ultros, then spamming Thundaga to hit weakness while his counters all get absorbed by Runic. Runic can absorb all the Bios that the tentacles throw at you, as well.

Edit: someone please talk me out of going on Reddit and lecturing people on why offering/genji glove is overrated. Deep down I know I know it'd be a total waste of time but my inner Meeple is crying at all the overlevelling fueled hype (and outright misinformation on what weapons can even hit 9999x8 damage)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 11:43:29 PM by hinode »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: August 03, 2015, 11:59:27 PM »
Dear god, woman, get a hold of yourself. I know what thread you're talking about and I'm not touching that pile of wrong with a ten-foot pole.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: August 04, 2015, 12:15:01 AM »
DO IT Hinode
Follow your instincts

Or I'll talk about how Vincent is the best FF7 character because of 9999 damage physicals with his death penalty

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: August 04, 2015, 03:21:34 AM »
Final Fantasy Autobattles For The Deaf - Randomly completed a bunch of elite dungeons in the lull between having completed Super Figaro Bros. and waiting for Tifapalooza. I currently have 65 Mythril and the Tifa banner actually looks pretty good (multiple mage bangles! A five-star rod! A mage weapon for Red XIII!), but I'll hold off on burning Mythril there for the Lightning banner, which has the same stuff I want and a bit more (Lightning and Sazh's weapons look sexy and a chance to pick them up is good stuff). Also, I must say that the trash on the FF1 endgame dungeons is honestly kind of a pain in the ass. But who cares, you can cheese all the bosses hardcore. Petrifying Tiamat still top-tier.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: August 04, 2015, 05:27:15 AM »

Reading your logs on FF5, it almost slightly surprises me that you consider Blue Mage not so hot until world 2, but that's more a matter of picking up knowledge on the game's metadesign than anything else, and it's a slog to memorize it all (I had a FAQ handy for most of the game, given I hadn't played it in nearly two decades). The Fiesta really drove into my head just how amply Blue Mage can make mincemeat of nearly everything given the right skills and lore at hand (Vampire and Goblin Punch for the very early game, exploiting various status holes starting with Garula's vulnerability to Pond's Choir, going through White Wind being ridiculous, 1,000 Needles having a window of sheer dominance in ST offense if you get it in Ronka Ruins, Dark Spark and LX skill exploitation - which is one of the ways to manhandle Atomos with Blue Mage! -, and going all the way to lategame, also passing through Air Knife Aeroga's somewhat brief window of greatness and capping off at Mighty Guard, which, paired with MT healing, trivializes all damage to no end), but part of it was also being fairly thorough on getting just about every skill as soon as possible. The only Blue Magics I missed in that playthrough were Self-Destruct and Roulette, which weren't at all missed. Beastmaster is pretty key on obtaining those skills, though, and the class is kinda awkward, if rewarding with enough patience and knowledge. In fact, Beastmaster with a Hypno Crown is -really- helpful against those dragons in Exdeath Castle, since they're perfectly vulnerable to it and some of the skills they have wreck their own asses.

I've been pretty vigilant about getting spells ASAP too. Honestly outside of a Fiesta context, Blue Mage is competent but easily outclassed.  By the time you get 1000 needles, you also get Titan (easily breaks 1k), Dual Wield + Spellblade on a weakness consistently broke 1k, and so did Berserk Monk. White Wind is good, but really expensive compared to MT Cura, and in W1 Cura is usually enough to get you by. Goblin Punch admittedly got a lot of use, but the Aero spells before Aeroga are all kinda lackluster compared to the other elemental spells/summons, since they can be boosted by rods and Gaia Gear while nothing boosts Wind until the Air Knife. Hitting status holes also didn't really come up for me until W2, because everything else got blitzed down so quickly.

Don't get me wrong, it's a competent class regardless, and unlike the other classes it is capable of filling literally every niche on its own. But when you're not intentionally blocking out other Wind Crystal jobs, not banning yourself from stupid good offense synergies (Dual Wield/Spellblade, Barehand/Berserk, Summon/......Summon) nothing he does is really hands down better than what other classes could do.

Admittedly, in a Fiesta scenario? Easily the best Wind crystal job you could get. Filling every niche possible becomes a lot better when you can't necessarily fill those niches in other ways.

Actually, side note, for your Fiesta did you also get Beastmaster? If not, how did you get 1000 needles and WhiteWind in W1?
---

FF5 - For the first time I venture into W3. Kinda wish they kept the W2 pallet for the overworld, but meh. Nice overworld theme. Just got Lenna back after beating the Pyramid.

Gilgamesh 3 - Gilgamesh is second best character behind Galuf. Possibly best, because his Leitmotif is the best song in the game. Not a hard fight, even with a semi-gimped party (wasn't expecting the fight, everyone's in the classes I'm levelling up instead of the classes they're awesome at). Just, uh, long. Fortunately being in Thief for it means I get the Genji helm... whoopie? TBH I wish I had stolen the other pieces of equipment. My freelancers should be using Ribbons endgame, or Gold Needles.

One note, Hayato Bow on an unleveled Ranger is pretty damn awesome. Second note, this fight is really where the differences between FF6's mechanics and FF5's really become apparent. Level halving matters SO much in this game, to the point where Gilgamesh discording my entire party halves their damage (it matters so little in FF6). Additionally, the range of damage outputs is much smaller, which is great. Above all, you can switch to a level 0 class and have it be pretty competent as long as your spell list/gear is up to date, which encourages switching but still rewards mastering only a set of classes quite a bit. Much better balance in that regard.

ExDeath - Didn't really see what he could do, tbh. Hastega and Shell then throwing all my damage at him and healing as necessary made it a pretty quick battle.

Antlion - lol

Pyramid - Really, game, you're taking away another character for a full dungeon? Um. OK. Fine. You know this gimmick is stupid right? In any case, this place was pretty draining on my MP resources. Titan no longer one shots, though usually Titan and Aeroga wipe up everything. But, I only have one Gold Needle helm so I burn through my ether supply a little. FF6 spoiled me with being able to give everyone Osmose. Not that that would have mattered in this dungeon since IIRC everything is undead here. Midway through Krile masters summoner, so I throw her in Black Wizard to round out her MP when she goes Freelance. At some point Bartz masters Thief so I put him back in Time Mage to master that. Faris is almost done with Ranger, so once that's done I'll put her back in Mystic Knight. I'll probably get Cover for Lenna, since the game is just showering me in APB right now, and then... uh, honestly I may be done getting levels in jobs after everyone rounds out their 3 jobs. Maybe rush through Geo so I don't have to deal with dungeon traps. Nothing else seems to offer passive skills I really want, and my final active skills I've already decided on.

Really, the one reason why I may do a Fiesta is just so I have a reason to use all these jobs that I haven't touched nor do I really have any incentive to touch. It's just like... Samurai, Dragoon... why bother when I already have a couple good physical set ups? Meh.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: August 04, 2015, 06:08:05 AM »
Beastmaster is indeed required to get 1000 Needles in W1. It's possible to get White Wind via Confuse as well (requires Red Mage, White Mage, Bard? Might be forgetting one). IIRC Snow did have Beastmaster.

For what it's worth the only Genji equip you missed (Gauntlet) isn't really worth much because of how good accessories get later (mostly Hermes Sandals). Helm has the issues you mentioned. The two still to come (Armour and Shield) are the two with some value, although to be honest none is the best equip of its type.

Pyramid has way, way too many monsters in boxes for my taste, taking away a PC is a bad gimmick but the dungeon piles on a second one for good measure. These days I just avoid most of the treasure and run from most randoms while blitzing the place, then come back later with a fourth PC and Hermes Sandals.

Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies - Randomly replaying this, currently in the middle of case 2. Caw caw caw.

Final Fantasy Dimensions - Nearing the end. Still fun. I was thinking randoms had slipped then you get things like Red Dragon + healer in the back row formations which require a bit more effort than usual. Most randoms I status out with some combo of bard skills, various white/black/Odin, and beat down things that resist such tactics with my ninja and paladin. Bosses are getting higher and higher defence so magic is actually starting to look like a pretty good way of dealing with them. Dualcast would obviously be great around now, but oh well.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: August 04, 2015, 10:03:53 AM »
Pyramid has way, way too many monsters in boxes for my taste, taking away a PC is a bad gimmick but the dungeon piles on a second one for good measure. These days I just avoid most of the treasure and run from most randoms while blitzing the place, then come back later with a fourth PC and Hermes Sandals.

Yeah this would have been the way to do it. Oh well, you live, you learn.

Picked up a bunch of low hanging fruit. Odin and Wind Shrine down. Bartz finishes up Time Mage, so I put him in Geo, he finishes that, and... uh, I'm done I guess. I don't really need anything from him and I'm tired of switching between skills to see passages so he's in Freelancer for now (until I get the GBA jobs... maybe? None of them look good, except Necro which is locked behind way aftergame content. FF6a syndrome all over again). I may scrounge up a new second skillset for him, since Hermes Rings make Time magic less godly than I initially thought, but slow, stop, and quick all have their uses there. I toyed around with having him go through Samurai for the passive evasion, but that's like 900 more BPA.  Faris mopped up Ranger and is back in Mystic Knight til mastery, then will go Freelancer. Krile is almost done with Black Mage, so I'll swap back to Summoner til Mastery, then Freelance. Lenna will go freelancer once she wraps up knight.

Part of me is not comfortable leaving all that remaining BPA on the table not going toward anything, but at this point I don't know if collecting !FLIRT etc. is actually going to be worth my time.

EDIT: Fork Tower - The boss of the physical section was legit hard, and would have required some finaggling of setup had I not gotten lucky. That guy's a decent argument for getting the Chemist's passive skill to be able to heal well.

Karnak Tower - Ohhh yeah Mime. Wait what Mime has *THREE* Skill slots? Oh baby baby. I throw Bartz into it and will probably throw Krile there too because A) the costume makes them feel like superheroes, B) They're both probably going to use staves/rods and Gold Needle Helms anyway, so they're not missing out on the Freelancer's Free For All on equipment. At the very least, I no longer feel like Bartz is missing out on AP. Even if practically I'm never going to actually use mime outside of Mime. Bartz only has two skillsets I want, but Krile has no reason to be using items ever and could access all three of her schools of magic (Or rather, White/Summon/ThatOneWithOsmose), so I'll probably do that until it becomes very obvious I want everyone wearing Ribbons.

Also, I love the Gogo fight. I had already spoiled myself on it long long ago around the first time I gave up on FF5, but it's something you could easily figure out without an FAQ and you betcha you'd feel pretty clever finding out on your own.

Undersea Rift - This would have been obnoxious if not for Odin. Meteor rounds out my list of spells I care about I suppose.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 02:52:44 PM by Makkotah »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: August 04, 2015, 01:26:13 PM »

I've been pretty vigilant about getting spells ASAP too. Honestly outside of a Fiesta context, Blue Mage is competent but easily outclassed.  By the time you get 1000 needles, you also get Titan (easily breaks 1k), Dual Wield + Spellblade on a weakness consistently broke 1k, and so did Berserk Monk. White Wind is good, but really expensive compared to MT Cura, and in W1 Cura is usually enough to get you by. Goblin Punch admittedly got a lot of use, but the Aero spells before Aeroga are all kinda lackluster compared to the other elemental spells/summons, since they can be boosted by rods and Gaia Gear while nothing boosts Wind until the Air Knife. Hitting status holes also didn't really come up for me until W2, because everything else got blitzed down so quickly.

Don't get me wrong, it's a competent class regardless, and unlike the other classes it is capable of filling literally every niche on its own. But when you're not intentionally blocking out other Wind Crystal jobs, not banning yourself from stupid good offense synergies (Dual Wield/Spellblade, Barehand/Berserk, Summon/......Summon) nothing he does is really hands down better than what other classes could do.

Blue Mage -does- a bunch of stuff no other classes can do, but, in general, you're roughly right. It's mostly how BM does damn near everything -at once-... except offense. And in a no-holds-barred playthrough, that does show. I guess I end up valuing it more because it's a very fun class. The really unique niches for Blue Mage really start showing up later on, like the level-busting, or the fact you can use White Wind through Reflect (-really- good for Carbuncle/Reflect Ring shutdown shenanigans), or hitting the niche paralysis vulnerability with absolutely perfect accuracy with Mind Blast. Or Mighty Guard, which, even with White Mage, is still >>> Protect and Shell due to its obscene action economy.

Quote from: Zenny
Actually, side note, for your Fiesta did you also get Beastmaster? If not, how did you get 1000 needles and WhiteWind in W1?

I did get Beastmaster indeed. White Wind in World 1, you may be able to get from Enchanted Fans in Ronka Ruins if you have a way of inflicting Confuse by then if you don't use BM. 1,000 Needles is Beastmaster or bust, though.

EDIT:

Final Fantasy Never Gonna Autobattle Again - If you guys pulled from the Super Figaro Bros. banner before they corrected the wrong display on the Golden Shield (it displayed an attack boost on the banner instead of the defense boost it actually gives), you have five extra Mythril in the item chest. Besides that, black power day, massive grindans ensues. I also did Elite Giant of Babil 2, but missed mastery because I seriously underestimated the offense on Attack Node. I should've brought Protectga and Sentinel's Grimoire to not lose damage medals there. Well, I can always try again, you can't lose the fight once the Attack Node is dead as long as you can deal over 1.6k a turn (as in, with all your PCs) with basic physicals.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 01:33:51 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: August 04, 2015, 01:51:26 PM »
Gf bought me bravely default.

So, I'm going to try this whole "each job can only b3 uaed by one character" thing. I played the demo which got me...things? I dunno. They werent readily available upon starting the game, or I just missed where they are.

Tiz gets monk.
Agnes got white and black mage
Edea got knight
Ringabel got thief and maybe merchant? Dunno. Just got the job and it hasn't gone to anyone yet.

So I'm heading to the wind palace to meet the wonderful wizard of oz.

Because because because because because beaaaaaaaaaaaaause...

I can't do anything else at the moment.

Also Agnes needs to shut the fuck up already. She's annoying.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2396 on: August 04, 2015, 02:33:46 PM »
Agnes gets better later, but she'll always be behind Ringabel and Edea for character banter.

Final Fantasy and the RNG of the Phoenix: I finally fucking got Summoner RM2. Yuna+Vivi screenwipe all randoms forever now. Makes getting to bosses sooooo much easier now. I've been using the Keeper himself as my healer with the White Magic II RM, which works out great since I've got his Sentinel's Grimoire so he's effectively a Curaga bot and has innate replenishable Protectga/Shellga AND still has an extra slot for literally ANY support ability in the game. Toss in Tidus of the full screen 9999 dmg Soul Breaks every few turns and I've got a pretty strong base team (And can make it stronger with Garnet, but why waste the EXP when Yuna's sprite is so much prettier?). Just leaves me with one party slot for whoever the game decides NEEDS to be in my party for boss rushes, though. And both of the Super Figaro Bros are pretty worthless to me, so I'm not even gonna bother with mastery for their boss rush. I just want Alexander anyway (love me some summons~). I'm not sure who to bring for a fourth then. Cloud/Squall for spellblades? Cloud for Reta-meta? LOCKE for his BackRow SB Weapon and RS? Wakka for Breakdowns and using Locke's BackRow 5* weapon? Yuna AND Garnet for more White Magic shenanigans? I -do- have a Diara and Protectga just sitting around. Hmm...

Ni no Kuni: Finally catching up on my backlog again after burning out on playing nearly every Nintendo game from the past 20 years in less than 8 months. Ni no Kuni just seemed like it would satisfy my sudden urge for a fairy tale. And it did! The story itself is a slow burn, but very Ghibli and I loved it. Well, at least all the way through the main Dark Djinn storyline. The White Witch aftergame stuff kinda ruined the whole "The game is a metaphor for the 5 stages of grief and has an ambiguous ending that could represent either Acceptance/defeat of grief OR Suicide if you're feeling darkgrim". BUT outside the context of the theme, the White Witch stuff was fine for world-building and had some good character moments. It just seriously spits on the meta context that I was enjoying so much up to that point.

Oh, and the gameplay is awful. The monsters aren't even that cute. Shame. Only Drippy Lord High Lord of the Fairies has a really eye-catching design, which just really feels like a waste when the game is building itself as Ghibli Pokemon.

Dragon Quest VIII: I WILL FINISH YOU! Restarting again, because I've played the beginning of the game like 5 times now and really quite like it but I want to see the ending. It has a really cool timeless fairy tale quality that Ni no Kuni was also evoking (I think they may even share some voice actors?), but significantly better gameplay. Even the DQ8 is probably the best gameplay in the DQ series, it's still sad when your battle system is less fun than Dragon Quest. If DQ8 had fast forward, it would be a lot more bearable, so I'm giving it a shot on an emulator. Currently up to the part where I've been tasked with finding my own ship, so I've got to go back to Trodain (I love this part). Training Guv in Boomerangs and Swords, Yangus in Scythes, Jessi in Whips/Staves, and Angelo in Bows. Any advice or do those builds sound reasonable? Also, how difficult is getting the good monsters for Guv's Call Monster ability? I wish the 3DS version was out, because playable Morrie (and Red) sounds cool.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: August 04, 2015, 02:41:51 PM »
I wouldn't bother putting points in boomerangs for Guv. With zero skill investment, as long as you keep updated on the weapons themselves, they'll be more than good enough for randombashing.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: August 04, 2015, 03:17:00 PM »
Guv's utility/healing branch is really awesome. I'd suggest dropping swords or boomerang for that. Personnally I roll with boomerangs. They don't have awesome skills but the attack bonus is so nice.
I don't remember having trouble building a good monster team.

Rk: Dropped blue dragon with no healers in the team. I was frustrated by having to choose between Cloud/Vivi/Wakka so I just dropped Yuna and kept them all. R2 magic breakdown + sentinel grimoire = yes

Btw I think half the roaming warriors I've friended are sentinel grimoires?

Fran's lvl 51 and already near making lvl 65 Wakka obsolete. (In this event, Edgar had stolen her spear, so i just kept using Wakka)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 03:25:37 PM by Fenrir »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: August 04, 2015, 03:20:52 PM »
When is the stat topic coming out, Snow/hinode?