Register

Author Topic: Thoughts on gamergate  (Read 26539 times)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on gamergate
« Reply #225 on: January 22, 2015, 11:44:57 AM »
While we are talking about coopting movements without really believing in themor we could discuss paying lip service to an ideal in the name of public image while not really doing that thing.  (Independent only linked twice because it was the first google search result)

I want to talk at Jim, Andy and Zenny but really I need to shout at CK here.

For the TL;DR of this and to ready about it put much better.Go to this article about Fine-Art Photography and pay attention to this quote.

In the UK as recently as 1960, photography was not really recognised as a Fine Art. Dr S.D.Jouhar said, when he formed the Photographic Fine Art Association at that time - "At the moment photography is not generally recognized as anything more than a craft. In the USA photography has been openly accepted as Fine Art in certain official quarters. It is shown in galleries and exhibitions as an Art. There is not corresponding recognition in this country. The London Salon shows pictorial photography, but it is not generally understood as an art. Whether a work shows aesthetic qualities or not it is designated 'Pictorial Photography' which is a very ambiguous term. The photographer himself must have confidence in his work and in its dignity and aesthetic value, to force recognition as an Art rather than a Craft"

Realise how completely fucking whack this shit is.  Photography is over 100 years old at that point, is a 100% visual medium directly 1:1 comparable to painting as being able to take in "visual aesthetics", has clear components of mastery of a craft baked into it and there was still fucking people saying that it was "art".

Dude what the fuck are you doing letting a bunch of close minded douchebags in a tiny community well outside your own negatively impact your own ability to consume art?  Fuck these idiots that think mostly text based games or games who's primary gameplay element is walking around are real gamesas if this was not one of the original genres and a very pervasive one for nearly 20 years.  Just because they aren't super common NOW doesn't mean that they aren't games.  Silent movies are still fucking movies.  Don't even get me started on puzzle games not being "real" games.

Art critics of other mediums don't need to respect games for them to be art.  All the people actually consuming games don't even need to respect games for them to be art.  Games will be taken seriously as art by the people that they matter to in that way.  That population will grow as the medium ages if it continues to flourish.  All that it should take for it to matter is that YOU respect games on their own merits as a piece of art.  They sometimes are compromised art.  They are sometimes failures as art.  Sometimes they might not even be art and be a completely consumer based product.  I personally am certainly not going to let a bunch of regressive artistic conservatives ever hold me back from consuming the weirdest fucking games I can get my hands on to see what new things someone is trying.  Of course people that want games to stay the same as they were 10 years ago decry anything different as not art.  The Avant Garde is always where art is going and there is always people that will decry it as "Not Art".  Say what you will about Fountain nearly 100 years later it has proven to be one of the most influential pieces of its time.  Not bad for something that isn't art that came from a movement that was also not art.  That is the cool thing about the New Thing.  It isn't always good, it isn't always the way things are going to end up.  If the market for exploratory first person narrative focused games implodes tomorrow and never ever comes back then it would be nothing more than a tiny blip in the history of Video games, a failed branch like say Third Person Action RTS, a genre I can name at least TWO big budget titles in.  Just because it failed to become popular doesn't reduce the fact that they are in fact video games and as such something I am fully capable of considering as art.  They are certainly never going to be canonized and officially sanctioned as "Art" by the Video Games Academy of Collectively Notable Art Pieces, but that in no way removes the fact that Sacrifice TRIED to tell a story using both interactive and noninteractive sequences through audio and visual outputs that had objectives, win and loss states, branching path choices and impacts on those choices.

You neither need or should actively want other people's validation of your hobby as a form of art.  Can you not appreciate the way a game makes you feel or respond?  How well put together a game is?  How sometimes the flaws in execution can actually improve them as a piece of work, whether it be by making them more fun or more emotionally affecting.

I mean seriously if Gacey clowns are art then we get to call Psychonauts a piece of artwork(and they are).   If Mulan and other amazingly corporate Disney movies are art then so is something like Assassin's Creed (and they are).

You think video games are fucking special in this way that they get to be amazeballs pieces of art right out of the gate?  Or taken extremely seriously as art straight away?  We are only 40 years into Video games here dude.  You know what Film had in its first 40 years?  Some pretty good shit actually, like Nosferatu had even been around just over 30 years after movie cameras were invented.  You know what had literally just happened then though?  Sound.  In that decade was when they had sound.  Colour was a long way off.  We were 20 years away from Citizen Kane.  30 away from Ben-Hur with Charleton Heston.  Movies came a really long way in 40 years, but it barely even fucking started to get exciting.  Here we are 130 years on and Movies have spun off into entirely new mediums and ways to deliver content that let you tell completely different story structures like you never could in Film when it started.  Oh hey you have like 6 minutes to tell a story with no sound and in black and white.  Compare that to Television now which is a spin off of movies and you can do Breaking Bad and tell a massive story over 5 years to a massive audience.

So yeah.  Video games are pretty far from perfect.  They have a long way to go.  So does film.  So does literature and it is only a few thousand years old. 

They are all art.  They are all exciting.  Fuck what a gaggle of close-minded smeg heads on the internet have to say about it.  Especially when they tout bullshit about freedom of speech, not tone policing conversations and preach inclusivity but fail at all of these things.  When they try to tear down dissenting opinions of video games and silence those voices (see campaign to remove negative reviews of Bayonetta 2 and wanting to remove them from Metacritic scores), when they literally want to exclude certain genres and players with storied histories in the medium from the discussion (Text based games and lets not pretend that Myst A PUZZLE GAME THAT YOU WALK AROUND IN FIRST PERSON 100% OF THE TIME was like pretty much the best selling PC game ever until Starcraft and Halflife) and when this concept that it is incredibly inclusive to demand everyone forfeit all personality in the face of "fitting in".  Inclusiveness by way of erasure is outright repulsive.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 22, 2015, 04:11:22 PM »
Also also, there is still something positive about all of this in that it's clear video games are going to be taken seriously as a medium at some point very soon. Once the damage GG has done(and kind of still is doing) has healed over at least.

Sadly, I kind of feel the opposite. I personally think that GG mostly has re-(re-re?)enforced the popular view that gamers are basement dwelling antisocial dudes without a life that have deep seeded resentment toward society because they were picked on in high school and can't pick up girls and use gaming as an outlet to vent their anger. When the highest selling / highest exposure games are mostly kids games and violence simulators (in the eyes of the public), I don't think the public will take it seriously. And Grefter is arguing who cares? Which is fair.

I do think that's largely it.  GG struck me from the beginning not as a protest that rioters and looters co-opted to do nefarious deeds but as a riot that paid lip service to what some protesters cared about in order to cloak themselves in legitimacy.  The whole thing started when an indie dev's vindictive ex-boyfriend made some accusatory posts by and large in order to get an Anon army to harass the shit out of her, and it never changed. It was a harassment campaign from the start.  You asked, why are we letting the morons dictate things? Because they were dictating and moving the discourse from the very beginning.

Pretty much agree with this. As someone who believes that gaming journalism is a complete pile of horseshit, the entire GG movement sent off major warning signs that it shouldn't be followed or trusted from Day 1.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 22, 2015, 04:31:40 PM »
Posting here solely to agree with everything Grefter just said.  I was trying to formulate a reply to CK and being sad that it would get me to actually post in this topic, but then he just popped off with the goods first, so yeah.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 22, 2015, 04:55:17 PM »
Sadly, I kind of feel the opposite. I personally think that GG mostly has re-(re-re?)enforced the popular view that gamers are basement dwelling antisocial dudes without a life that have deep seeded resentment toward society because they were picked on in high school and can't pick up girls and use gaming as an outlet to vent their anger. When the highest selling / highest exposure games are mostly kids games and violence simulators (in the eyes of the public), I don't think the public will take it seriously. And Grefter is arguing who cares? Which is fair.

Gamergate inadvertently gave major voice to a lot of people who were relatively unknown before.

Like...the most prominent feminist in the game industry as of 2011 was Sheri Graner-Ray whom I expect nobody but me in this topic has heard of.  2012 brought Anita, but I never felt like my views and her views were all that closely aligned.  2013 added Carolyn Petit as someone who was willing to make a particularly public feminist stand, although she doesn't even mention the subject in most of her reviews since.

Now since 2014 we have Brianna Wu, who...is like a public figurehead version of me whom I hero worship.  It's fucking awesome.

And I'm pretty happy with Katherine too (LD's concerns about rhetorical devices asside).  And...hell, I like what I've been hearing from Anita more in the past couple of months, which I strongly suspect is related to the fact that she started a direct collaboraton with Katherine Cross recently.

Videogame feminism over the period of 3 years has gone from...being something that a few of us discussed in a small room at GDC, to having a public face but only one, and not one that I felt represented me particularly well, to suddenly having a lot of visibility.

In terms of public perception of games, yeah, that's probably gotten worse, but there's a lot of positive infrastructure now that just didn't exist before.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #229 on: January 22, 2015, 04:58:26 PM »
Only two points I want to respond/clarify on

Quote from: grefters

Dude what the fuck are you doing letting a bunch of close minded douchebags in a tiny community well outside your own negatively impact your own ability to consume art?

God no.

Affect my ability to identify with a larger 'gamer' community and have faith in gamers to develop the apparatuses found in other mediums to analyze, recommend, and enshrine the artworks we consume?  Very much so.

Quote from: also grefters
You think video games are fucking special in this way that they get to be amazeballs pieces of art right out of the gate?  Or taken extremely seriously as art straight away?  We are only 40 years into Video games here dude.

Of which the majority are in the post-internet age of instant dissemination of information.  In the year of our lord Two Thousand and Fifteen, yes.  I do expect this medium to be a little further along the spectrum from pop-art to art-art than it is.  Not so much in the sphere of public acceptance (that will change the minute our generation outnumbers our parents' and not one minute before), but in terms of having the aforementioned tools around the art.

e: I should also clarify that these are 100% unabashedly emotional thoughts, not rational ones.  Like I am looking at the stuff I wrote and being very sad that I actually feel those things, but even more sad at the sequence of events that lead me to them.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 05:00:30 PM by Cmdr_King »
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 22, 2015, 06:24:41 PM »
Watch the development of indie games.

Without the ROI pressures the big companies deal with, pandering to the little shitheads that like to teabag opponents in their FPSes and derive no further pleasure from the medium than immersion, indie games have been and will continue to push the medium into art. I'd cite examples but I'm feeling especially lazy, but take a look at Papers, Please as one of the first I can think of. It has social commentary, simple retro graphics, intense gameplay that does not rely on twitch, and a story. Is that not "art-art"?

There's a lot of pressure on visual media to redeem itself with cultural relevancy. Games have it, but the associated demographic is not positive. Well, I hate to break it to you, but the same is true of genuine art folk. In the same way we approach the 1%, art snobs are just that: snobs. That's not a positive association. It's distancing the way basement dwelling neckbeards is distancing. You're not going to associate yourself with "those people" just because you have a passion in common. So be it.

There's too much focus on defining and retaining group identification. I get it, it's human nature to want to belong to an established club. Legitimacy. Belonging. Etc. But so fucking what? I like games. I consider myself a gamer. I don't even play games right now, except when I'm doing market research on the mobile gamespace. But I sure as hell do not consider myself an art snob or a "gamer".

My academic approach to the topic is my way of dealing with the insanity I read. I do the same thing when I'm arguing with capital C Conservatives about the place of arts in public funding, because guess what, they are 100% against the federal government supporting something that the people so obviously aren't willing to support with their own dollars.

Also, everything Grefter said.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 22, 2015, 08:46:19 PM »
Indie games also have gone crazy crazy far in just five years.  I could rant about Steam and stuff, but fuck that noise, you have heard that before.  You know what is the real thing that shows games ARE performing different because of this whole internet thing?  X-Box Live and PSN.  Both of these storefronts went from shilling ports of old titles and the occasional arcade title to aggressively marketing and courting the indie market, because there is good money in it because regardless of how niche your product is, if you can distribute it around the entire fucking planet, by gods it will find its audience finally.  This IS something that video games is calitalising on significantly better than other independent mediums have .  Books and comics are doing a pretty decent job at it with both getting big pushes from a main digital marketplace, but video games has it on three competing major platforms for the consoles,handhelds, iTunes, Google Play and the ever expanding number of PC digital distribution vendors.  Not just the ability to publish on these either, all of them also tend to at least pay lip service to supporting indie devs and give at least nominal promotion of Indie games that are part of the broader discussion.

This is the first time I have heard of an independent scene being actively curated and getting financial push instead of being used as a breeding ground for talent and ideas.  For everything else especially this early in their lifetimes other mediums either had complete control by big publishers/vendors or you were pretty much going to only publish to your local area.

We live in a time where Braid and Fez are actually games we know about and we know about them because Mocrosoft told us about it.  That I would say is pretty fucking rad.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 22, 2015, 09:23:39 PM »
I personally don't know much about Gamer-gate (a few memes and this thread are basically the extant of my limited knowledge), but I have a logistical question/statement regarding the people who care about videogame journalism ethics (like actually legitimately care about it). Are they harboring under the delusion that generalized journalism ethics are better? I just find it funny because even in the 90s people would laugh off the legitimacy in reviews in game magazines, and I would say that given the advent of the internet, the true "journalism" aspect is probably even further diluted due to lowered barriers of journey. And that- compared to the overall state of more "traditional" journalism- paying someone to write a good review of your game is really tame. I guess this is maybe getting into some of the issue gotten into above (just because you care about one thing doesn't mean you can't care about another)...but this feels more direct in terms of comparison. I guess it's hard for me to see why someone would be vocal about videogame journalism but not really be vocal about applying the same standards to areas of journalism where it actually matters.
...into the nightfall.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 22, 2015, 09:42:33 PM »
They sometimes are compromised art.  They are sometimes failures as art.  Sometimes they might not even be art and be a completely consumer based product.

Quibble: why is a completely consumer-based product somehow not art?  Anyway, I mostly agree with you.  To me, it's like debating global warming deniers.  Global warming is real, and videogames are art.  The relevant questions are only the ones that accept that baseline (respectively: debates about climate change mitigation, and about whether certain videogame are good as art).

Gamergate inadvertently gave major voice to a lot of people who were relatively unknown before.

First they ignore you, etc. (of course, no one ignores VIDEOGAME Gandhi)
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 22, 2015, 09:57:16 PM »
I think the issues with ethics that mainstream media News journalism is facing is kind of the other side of the coin to Video Games journalism though?  They are big structures that are finding ways to cut costs and a good way to do that is hire cheaper people (less skilled labour, hey you with the smart phone, pix plz?) hire less people (editors don't produce cotent, Fire Frei!) and then there is the whole kettle of worms of native advertising which is literally cashing in your reputation as an ethical industry at the cost of that reputation and those ethics.

Games journalism still gets a pool of talent from hobbyists.  Gods bless us every one we may want to be ethical and even try to have an understanding of journalistic integrity but most of is sure as shit don't have degrees in Journalism and are probably kind of shit at it.

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 23, 2015, 05:22:53 PM »
So the bottom line is corporations suck and indies are the way to go. It's a true revelation, it is.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 23, 2015, 08:38:03 PM »
For journalism?  I was meaning like, CNN/Time compared to Games journalism as a whole, not Kotaku vs smaller sites.  So like if you never want to read about World news again I guess >_>.

It was a phone post so it is super abrupt and lacks nuance.  I also meant to say that even games journalism is obviously fighting the struggle of what to do with native advertising.  I just think they have a lot less collateral to burn than mainstream sites.  So for some it is they have kind of always been there and is just part of consuming from that vendor or it leads to an inmate distrust for them (see all of gawker essentially).

If you were talking about the art fart, well I say still watch AAA stuff.  I tried to name drop big stuff from studios instead of circle jerking in my indie land.  Do I think Deus Ex games are amazing pieces of art compared to something like Binding of Isaac?  Not especially, but I definitely think that they are still pieces made to invoke a response and to make the player think about that they are doing.  They are still art, they just compromise for the commercial success a bit more.

That is actually something else pretty cool about games at the moment, because it is still young even the incredibly commercial products still have room to either slip in interesting concepts/messages or are even still supported by the management structure within the corporations that put them out.

Even as formulaic as your modern shooter can Ben, I personally see more merit to them than say your bog standard comedy sitcom of the kind Family Guy was setup to mock or compared to the most cynical of Rom Coms (like New Years).  Stuff like Remember Me, Child of Light, Mirror's Edge and the like still get published by huge studios.  They are compromised often, but they all still wear their desire to be something different and to have a message on their sleeve.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 24, 2015, 02:16:21 AM »
I'd argue that with journalism indies aren't necessarily the way to go either, at least in world affairs journalism. There's a lot to be said for having an establishment behind you for getting access to people when you need to get details on a story.

Indie garymes journalists are on a bit better solid footing since being out of the incestuous relationship between companies like IGN or what have you and AAA developers can be a good thing, but they're not immune to corruption either.  Look at the Shadows of Mordor incident, where the publisher only sent out demo copies to Youtubers if they promised to only publish good reviews about the game. Jimquisition had a pretty good rundown on that that I think is still up on The Escapist before Sterling left.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 24, 2015, 05:17:24 AM »
Some bits of news that seem worth mentioning, if for no other reason than to have them in the topic history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYUKJBZuUig&feature=youtu.be&t=1h8m12s

moot explains his views on gamergate. He...really doesn't care.

He compares it to Anonymous, which he also kicked off of 4chan. He kicked them off for the good of 4chan, because he doesn't want to get sued, as he can't handle the finances. He mentions that Anonymous also hated him for a couple years after he kicked them off of 4chan. He mentions that /v/ is visited by 1.4 million people in a month, and says "a few hundred people [gamergate] don't get to speak for the 1.4 million visitors".

Anita Sarkeesian

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/566429325/tropes-vs-women-in-video-games/posts/1115560

details the future of Tropes vs Women in Videogames, gives an explanation for the current pace of the project, talks about a much larger scope than originally planned.

And finally, some pictures. One is a comic critical of gg. One is 8chan propaganda. Both are amusing:

http://www.robot-hugs.com/comics/2015-01-23-Debate.png

http://i.imgur.com/VYFSZib.png

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 24, 2015, 10:42:44 PM »
The IGDA elections are up and there are...no female candidates this year (unusual).

Weird, it's almost like gamergate has been targetting female IGDA board members for several months and nobody wanted to sign up for that.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: January 25, 2015, 04:12:30 AM »
Ghazi has a super comprehensive timeline it's putting together:

http://www.reddit.com/r/GamerGhazi/comments/2tkit3/a_timeline_of_gamergate_with_sources/

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 26, 2015, 05:05:43 AM »
Some bits of news that seem worth mentioning, if for no other reason than to have them in the topic history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYUKJBZuUig&feature=youtu.be&t=1h8m12s

moot explains his views on gamergate. He...really doesn't care.

He compares it to Anonymous, which he also kicked off of 4chan. He kicked them off for the good of 4chan, because he doesn't want to get sued, as he can't handle the finances. He mentions that Anonymous also hated him for a couple years after he kicked them off of 4chan. He mentions that /v/ is visited by 1.4 million people in a month, and says "a few hundred people [gamergate] don't get to speak for the 1.4 million visitors".

Considering 4chan's deserved reputation, this is hilarious.
...into the nightfall.

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 27, 2015, 10:15:42 PM »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 28, 2015, 12:51:05 AM »
Yeah I read that this morning after getting 3-4 hours sleep.  Then read another thing where someone was justifying aggression towards Trans people that have unreasonable demands about pronouns apparently.

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 28, 2015, 09:45:12 PM »
Sigh.

CAUGHT RED HANDED: BRIANNA WU GETS BUSTED FOR TALL TALE BY GAMERGATE ON TWITTER

EDIT: Per Fenrir's comment, linking from neutral source.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 02:46:42 AM by Lady Door »

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 28, 2015, 10:22:39 PM »
My god she's a liar!  It's all clear to me now!  I renounce my SJW membership!!!

This is how cross examination works in real life, by the way.  You interrogate someone for a long time, they make a bunch of statements, and inevitably one of them turns out to be wrong or misremembered in some unimportant way, then you slaughter them for it and call them a liar and use the misstatement to invalidate their everything.  It's bullshit, of course, but it works.  Wu was doomed by her decision to talk to assholes who want to do her harm.

p.s. did not closely read the article because why the fuck would I?
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 29, 2015, 12:57:28 AM »
Important:

Use http://www.donotlink.com/ to link to dumb stuff

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 29, 2015, 04:28:24 AM »
While I like the idea of the site the kinds of links getting posted there all seem to be MRAs linking to articles with a feminist spin on them. That's a site I'd equally like to not support.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 29, 2015, 01:25:40 PM »
https://storify.com/JillPantozzi/give-an-honest-answer

Enjoy a link to archive sites being used to archive stories before news outlets remove them to plausibly deny the ever existence of said articles existing (Spoiler alert they exist and are still hosted by Mary Sue) .

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 30, 2015, 07:47:50 AM »
My god she's a liar!  It's all clear to me now!  I renounce my SJW membership!!!

This is how cross examination works in real life, by the way.  You interrogate someone for a long time, they make a bunch of statements, and inevitably one of them turns out to be wrong or misremembered in some unimportant way, then you slaughter them for it and call them a liar and use the misstatement to invalidate their everything.  It's bullshit, of course, but it works.  Wu was doomed by her decision to talk to assholes who want to do her harm.

p.s. did not closely read the article because why the fuck would I?

They actually genuinely don't seem to have caught her in a lie, though.  Here's the actual conversation:

https://twitter.com/Spacekatgal/status/490554352676130817

Brianna: "What kind of youtube personalities should I reach out to?"

Some dude: "how about totalbiscuit?"

Brianna: "Do you have their twitter"

Some dude: "it's @totalbiscuit"

Brianna: "What say you @totalbiscuit want a review copy?"

(He doesn't bother with a reply, and she doesn't mention him again)

And this is literally the only time she mentions totalbiscuit (with or without the @) before gamergate started.  Like...it's pretty clear in this conversation that she does not know who totalbiscuit is, to the point that she actually asks for his twitter handle.  Actually, maybe I would do better to link to the full conversation from the start, because she @s multiple youtube personalities, and starts conversations with the ones who actually respond, and it's pretty easy to tell which ones she's heard of:

https://twitter.com/Spacekatgal/status/490551984479817728

But seriously, though, TheRalphRetort is probably the single worst journalism site I know of.  Literally took the tweets of a stalker about Brianna Wu, with photographs of her car and pets, and posted them.  Posted Brianna Wu's entire family tree.  Never corrects blatant factual errors when requested.  Like...of the obviously gamergate slanted journalism, it manages to be dramatically worse than both TechRaptor and Briebart.  Which is impressive.  Like...TechRaptor is probably the best journalists of the trio and...well...

Aaaaanyway....

https://twitter.com/TheQuinnspiracy/status/561003805366448128