imageRegister

Author Topic: Thoughts on gamergate  (Read 26540 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on gamergate
« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2014, 01:18:24 AM »
Let's be clear, by "went after" i mean they blew up his twitter or something for being an Esss Jay Doubleyou or some shit. They didn't doxx him or anything. I mean, he still has a penis. That would be uncouth.

I didn't actually assume any specific action against him, more just assumed a general situation; spamming his twitter is about what I expected for whatever it's worth.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2014, 01:24:16 AM »
I also read that article, and so far as I'm concerned, the big thing there is that context gives meaning.  Or, the quote about how if some of the people reacted to the events in Ferguson by stating that was a fine time to bring attention to the plight of convenience store clerks getting shot.

There are real people being driven away from the industry by this GG crap, real people who are having to avoid their homes because of this.  And that isn't really a side effect of jostling for something good, it's the point of this whole affair.  This is a movement that was never about ethics, and where they are equating people arguing that there should be change with someone who was trying to pass laws to ban games.

So, yeah.  The only ethical response to GG is opposition.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2014, 05:01:05 PM »
Read the whole article.

Look: yes, I agree there are some idiots who stand among the opposition to gamergate.  I agree that "fat neckbeard aspie" is terminology that we should not be using, and I do not use it.  I have never stood up for Gawker as a website, and my response to gamergaters going after it has been to shrug, and say "well I guess I don't have a problem with that.  I'm glad they're not going after gamasutra anymore."

Look, I'm all for not demonizing people, and I really, really don't demonize people.  I've been friends with a satanist (she was actually pretty cool, honestly).  I've idly wondered if the KKK has cleaned up their act--they certainly seem to be moving in a more moderate direction.  I was roommates with a 9/11 truther.  And certainly I have friends who are everything from republican/libertarian to downright marxist.  You can't say I'm not open-minded; if anything it's a fault of mine.

But I can't fault other people for being dismissive of a movement that has been categorized as a hate movement by watchdog organizations.  And if you really put me in an awkward situation--like told me I had to take a roommate that was either a satanist or a gamergater...I would probably want to learn more about the individual rather than relying on a label, but based on past experience with each label I'd lean towards the satanist.  I'm still going to poke my head into gamergate forums and discussions from time to time, because I genuinely really care about ethics in video game journalism, and sometimes, every once in a while, they dig up an actual ethical breach.  Although it's frustrating how much I need to dig to get at the videogame journalism stuff.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 05:09:01 PM by metroid composite »

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2014, 06:26:03 PM »
I wrote a really long post about this and deleted it.

In summary:
  • Both sides resort to "you are dumb"
  • Both sides are being ridiculous
  • True journalism reform folks refusing to find a new identity are just like a 5-year-old refusing to take a bath because they'll only get dirty again
  • Refusing to identify as anti-#GG does not mean I'm not against what #GG-as-a-hate-group is doing
  • Censorship -- either attacking advertisers and hoping to starve out publications they disagree with, or attacking game makers and gamers for perpetuating stereotypes/patriarchy -- is a slippery slope

I've pointed it out before, but challenging strongly held beliefs with facts forces people to double down. It doesn't matter if you're right. What is your goal? Convincing the wrong side they're wrong is fruitless. Attacking people who don't share your label but believe in the same things you do is destructive. Pick something else.

Stop arguing about doing or "someone should be doing". Do.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2014, 06:53:14 PM »

I've pointed it out before, but challenging strongly held beliefs with facts forces people to double down. It doesn't matter if you're right. What is your goal? Convincing the wrong side they're wrong is fruitless. Attacking people who don't share your label but believe in the same things you do is destructive. Pick something else.

Stop arguing about doing or "someone should be doing". Do.

I've long held that the answer to "What can change the nature of a man?", and when you get down to it that is what trying to challenge someone's deep down beliefs is, is "Nothing".  People do not change their natures.  Some people can be swayed into changing their perspectives, but that too is rare.  Otherwise all you can really do is wait for them to die off and hope they didn't spread their beliefs too far.

But there is a goal in continuing to tell them they are wrong.

It is to say "Go away."  "You are being hateful and harmful and spreading lies and that is not welcome in this space."  You can't change how people are, and you can't change what they believe, and you can't tell them how to act.  But you can tell them to go be hateful in their own little space and get the fuck out of yours.  And really that is the practical fallout of the whole thing, spaces like Twitter asserting the line between public space and personal space exists there as it does in the physical realm.

Or I'm overthinking this, I dunno.  So tired of humans.  It's all fucked, let dogs take over or something I just want to sleep.[/I]
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2014, 07:33:21 PM »
Yes. But it's been going on for months to the exclusion of anything else. As a whole, the loud bickering is drowning out or suppressing the attempts to change something.

<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #81 on: November 20, 2014, 07:50:32 PM »
Well of course.  Like I said, I'm waiting for the other side to die.  And since that'll take a while, sometimes the bile from being reminded they are still alive spills over.

Okay, on a less flip note I don't really have the technical skill to make my own non-shit gaming media outlet, the charisma or dedication to organize movements, or the eccentric billionaire credentials to actually function in the political realm.  So while I do try to only act on this front when it rears it's head, there's not a whole hell of a lot else I can do that's helping that I can figure.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #82 on: November 21, 2014, 01:37:26 AM »
Yes. But it's been going on for months to the exclusion of anything else. As a whole, the loud bickering is drowning out or suppressing the attempts to change something.

But isn't all this 'talking about it' making people a lot of money? I doubt it's going to stop anytime soon. What's more, someone brought up the point earlier that all this attention to the issue is good thing in general, even if it's attracting a lot of terrible people (on both sides, though for my own views, significantly -more- terrible people on GG's side).

I don't think that all the discussion is actually interfering with attempts to change things.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 21, 2014, 03:50:09 AM »
Okay, I've stayed out of this mainly because I don't feel like I can really shed any light on it (by nature of being male and not really wrapped up in game reviews and stuff because who the fuck reads professional reviews anymore? Apparently more than I thought). I do however, want to point one line from one of Zenny's article, which I think really illustrates what's wrong with the entire Gamergate deal:

"In fact, #Gamergaters, if your concern really was ethics, the very first thing you would be saying about this whole mess is, “Holy shit, get these fucking misogynistic creeps away from us. Let’s find a different hashtag to assemble under RIGHT FUCKING NOW.”

'The ends do not justify the means'. If you're so far down this rabbit hole that you're committed to ddoxing and sending death threats, you really need to re-evaluate these people in your group and what you're doing. Like Grefter, I have more of an issue with how gamergate is going about business more than the actual issue itself. I don't care if you're trying to make reviewers be more transparent, but spewing death threats is a good sign that this seems to be more about a hate campaign than anything really and that you've lost sight of your objectives.
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 21, 2014, 08:51:05 AM »
Here's a pretty good post by a gamergater on why they left:

http://www.reddit.com/r/GamerGhazi/comments/2mqbje/are_you_a_reformed_gator_what_was_your_breaking/cm6ulpd

EDIT: and a link I saw when browsing some responses to particularly bigoted gamergate talk.

http://aebrain.blogspot.co.uk/p/transsexual-and-intersex-gender-identity.html
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 09:53:02 AM by metroid composite »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 21, 2014, 11:59:30 AM »
http://womeninastronomy.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/its-not-about-that-damn-shirt.html

Kind of wouldn't mind it if the planet caught on fire right now.  That last point Edit - about Twitter., holy shit human beings are the worst. 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 12:04:18 PM by Grefter »
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 21, 2014, 03:55:53 PM »
One of my Facebook friends gave someone a good tongue-lashing for trying to say "silly women" to the backlash on that shirt thing. Unsurprisingly, dumb misogynists like to act like women are dumb (for pretty much anything they do).
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 21, 2014, 04:35:15 PM »
Ok, so now I'd like to talk about a piece in detail that I did not cover in my opening post, because at the time I did not understand it.  Namely

The Fine Young Capitalists

And...bear in mind, I'm not linking an article on this, because I...haven't seen everything collected nicely in one place.  This post is a result of coalation and digging I've done.

To catch people up to speed, TFYC is the "feminist charity" that gamergate donated to a while back.  They're also a group with which Zoe Quinn had a disagreement several months before any of this started.

So...some clarifications about them: they're not actually a charity; they're a for-profit company and have claimed so themselves.  This shouldn't be too surprising with the word "capitalist" in the title, but still.  They also agree with the statement:

http://pixietalksgamergate.wordpress.com/2014/09/16/tfyc-questions/

They are a brand new organization; they have yet to run a contest to completion with a released game.  So...it might turn out that nothing will come from the project (a lot of crowdfunded projects end up being duds).  And their transparency is very low (no address, no list of employees, the one known employee hides it on his linkedin).

The story of their disagreement involved Zoe calling them exploitative and transphobic, and them claiming that she doxxed and DDOSed them.  Let's go through each of these.

exploitative
So this is somewhat subjective, but the structure of TFYC's competition is strange.  The woman who wins provides an idea, and then a comapny in Colombia makes the game.  This...isn't really what people like me are saying when we want more women in game development; we want more women actually creating content for the games.  "Idea person" is not really a job within the game industry; the jobs are normally "Artist" "Animator" "Programmer" "Designer" "Producer".  All of these actually create things (except producers, who still spend a lot of time on schedules, and getting resources for the team--and also not all companies have producers).

The winner of TFYC's contest just gets to be an idea person; doesn't actually make anything.  And they get 8% of the profits if the game makes profits.  It's not a great system to be honest.

Transphobic
So this is a bit messy...because their current policy is displayed here but does not seem to be the policy they had back in March (and also internet archiving suggests the page didn't exist until August 22).  Previous communications suggest a different wording:

https://twitter.com/TFYCapitalists/status/522251529517297664
https://docs.google.com/document/d/166fECwNpcRT3elDf0qUAnzVjU2gsJENwZaU9pGnIQdE/edit
http://np.reddit.com/r/news/comments/224ktk/mozillas_ceo_steps_down/cgjm994

I couldn't find the full version of the old wording, nor could other people I talked to, BUT here is the wording according to Zoe Quinn herself, who was nice enough to reply:

http://www.reddit.com/r/GamerGhazi/comments/2mseyq/question_has_tfycs_trans_policy_changed/cm7frdk

The trans policy was originally simply "Is the contest open to transgendered individuals that identify as female? Yes, as long as they transitioned before the start of the contest."

Which...I have no reason to doubt this statement given that it matches emails that they themselves wrote.

So lets look into this statement; is it problematic?  For starters, I can't find the word "transitioned" defined by any human rights groups.  It gets used (rarely) in sentences like these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgender#Transsexual

People who have transitioned may or may not necessarily identify as transgender or transsexual any longer, but simply as a man or a woman.

Which sounds...like it's much, much further into the process than "the point at which you self-identify as a gender".  Basically, according to lists of terms I'm googling, "transitioned" doesn't actually mean anything in particular, but gets used colloquially to mean something FAR, FAR different from what TFYC believe it to mean.

I'm also going to pause and paraphrase a few choice quotes from this particular discussion from...about April (a month after they interacted with Quinn):

http://np.reddit.com/r/news/comments/224ktk/mozillas_ceo_steps_down/cgjm994

TFYC: [details disagreement]
fluff: "That's your fault; words mean things"
TFYC: "FUCK YOU"
fluff: "I can't imagine why people were put off by your behavior"
TFYC: "I'm tired having to deal with Cis individuals fighting for the rights of people that they have no idea about what so ever."
fluff: "I'm not cis, you ignorant asshole."
TFYC: "Your still wrong"
fluff: "live in your fantasy land if you want."
TFYC: [quotes the definition of "transition" NOT "transitioned" from here.  Note also that the definition of transition quoted here does NOT match "self-identified".
fluff: That's not going to help you any.

The point of quoting (and shortening) this is just to demonstrate the stubbornness.  This is a month after the original wording was suggested as problematic.

doxxing by Zoe

That wasn't her.  Some random twitter follower of hers did.  TFYC later admitted this much

DDOS by Zoe

Never happened.  She linked the website from her twitter.  Lots of twitter followers + small website, it crashed.  But there was no malicious intent

On their participation in gamergate

So...around the time hate is blowing up around Zoe Quinn, they re-tell their story, complete with several false claims, and because they are against Zoe Quinn, they become allies of Gamergate, and Gamergate funds them.  This isn't so crazy; as we've seen with Jack Thompson, gamergate is cool with "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" logic.  So...gamergate funds them, creates the Vivian James avatar for them to use (which to an outsider looks fine, but has some issues.  Notably the green and purple colouring is a reference to a 4 chan meme about rape).  4 chan also gets them to post this:

https://twitter.com/tfycapitalists/status/502528192327204864

And they defend receiving money from 4 chan, saying that to do otherwise would be to opress 4 chan:

http://thefineyoungcapitalists.tumblr.com/post/95548937520/on-opression-and-narrative

And their twitter account becomes pretty active within the gamergate hashtag, following some explicitly anti-feminist gamergaters (like...people with the tagline "feminists are stupid" in their twitter description).

So...let's rewind for a bit; is there anything particularly immoral in this section so far?  The one thing I really take issue with is inserting themselves into a harassment campaign, and leveraging it for funding.  This is...opportunistic at best, and harmful at worst.  It's very much a "do the means justify the ends?" question.  As for the rest of it...all of the 4 chan associations are hypothetically not a moral issue, HOWEVER, if your goal is to get women into making games, such strategies...might not be the best PR.

So....basically....

Zoe Quinn, for all that my overall impression of her have been mixed, seems like her objections to TFYC in March were 100% valid and reasonable.  Gamergate calling TFYC a "feminist charity"...they aren't a charity and never called themselves as such, and a lot of their public communication is stuff that feminists would find objectionable.  (Personally, I'm not bothered by some of the TFYC stuff Zoe finds problematic such as this, and feel the UofT study on spatial skills means that we should be making videogames part of the standard curriculum, but others do feel uncomfortable with this "male and female brains aren't identical" talk).  So...are TFYC feminist?  Overall I think they do have some feminist goals and ideas, but as an organization the message they send is sometimes mixed.  Will we ever find out who the winning contestant is for their competition?  They've given her the option to remain anonymous, and given how closely they're connected to gamergate...she might choose to take that option, so...future still uncertain.  Will we ever see a game out of this crowd-funded project?  Who knows with crowd funding, although the lack of transparency is not encouraging.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 04:43:52 PM by metroid composite »

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 22, 2014, 04:50:37 AM »
Welp, turns out this was pretty relevant, as Zoe posted this today:

http://ohdeargodbees.tumblr.com/post/103251119644/how-not-to-run-your-games-education-programs

EDIT: and here I was thinking that TFYC had understood their error and had figured out sensible wording of transgender stuff as of August 22.  Well...this was posted today...:

https://twitter.com/TFYCapitalists/status/536185797926735872

« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 06:59:05 AM by metroid composite »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 25, 2014, 07:04:12 PM »
All because they are obsessed with what they see as a "legal" term for it and it's okay you guys we ran it by like two lawyers who said they didn't see what the big deal was.   Ignore the entire community that is telling you this is not how people actually talk about it, this guy in Ontario and this other guy who is from San Francisco, San Fransisco you guys, there is literally no way at all we can be wrong about this.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2014, 03:32:44 AM »
Thought this was pretty interesting; Brianna Wu chronicled how women's issues were covered by Game Developer Magazine in the 90s:

https://storify.com/Spacekatgal/what

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2014, 05:14:08 AM »
Really interesting stuff!
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2014, 12:13:19 AM »
Yeah, that was interesting to see.  Also, tangentially, really happy they changed Dixie Kong's design <_<

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2014, 02:32:06 AM »
The big deal there is that the magazine just used Candy Kong's art to illustrate Dixie, which demonstrates pretty clearly how little they cared. It's also emphasized by the fact that Candy's awful from a girl representation perspective while Dixie's actually pretty cool.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2014, 05:17:55 AM »
Huh, didn't even notice that was DKC1 Candy Kong, shows how long it's been!

Dixie has always stood out as an example of a clear female character who is non-human, yet not sexualized in anyway to appeal to furries.  True, part of it is because she's intended to resemble a younger girl as opposed to an adult or a teen, but the point stands.  Instead of going "here's a monkey with bewbs!" they just had her dress in pink, and gave her some basic effeminate features like the thick pony-tail or the elongated eyelashes.   It contrasts someone like, say, Krystal from Star Fox in this regard, a character whose design was made kind of fanservicey despite being a fox.

The weirdest example I can think of for these kinds of characters, though, is Tiny Kong.  I'd explain it but I think a simple demonstration through pictures gets the point across:

This is what she use to look like circa 1999 in DK64:

This is what she looks like now, in various spin offs and stuff like Diddy Kong Racing DS:

Keep in mind that she's suppose to be Dixie's younger sister, and Dixie's design as remained fairly consistent since her initial appearance in DKC2.  There's nothing openly wrong with Tiny's older design, though there is a sense of "make her look more attractive", just kind of a weird decision to age her up dramatically when her elder sister hasn't gotten such a treatment.

Though really, it's hard to complain about the design being offensive when Candy Kong exists, especially in her DK64 design (which is even worse when you look at the dialog, which is NOT adjusted for purposes of Tiny Kong, so yes, we have an ADULT FEMALE SEXUALIZED GORILLA hitting on a little girl monkey).  I'll spare you all the screenshot because seriously <_<

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2014, 08:29:13 AM »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2014, 10:34:19 AM »
die
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2014, 10:57:09 AM »
I have missed you too dear.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2014, 04:33:34 PM »
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 04:42:29 PM by Fenrir »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2014, 07:40:23 PM »
Feel bad story of the day

https://archive.today/16LrY

Brianna Wu's dog is taken to the vet with some pretty lethal stuff.  Reaches out for support on Twitter.  Is accused of ignoring her dog in favour of arguing with people on the Internet because that is all they think Twitter is for.

Ethics so hard hard to fix them journalisms you guys.